Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• cacarfiendcacarfiend Member Posts: 10
    I'm itching to pull the trigger on an '03 Discovery. Is the 4.6 liter moter worth the extra investment over an '02 with the 4.0? I'd assume the gas mileage would be worse with the bigger motor.

Also, the '03 I'm looking at is an SE7, and the '02 is an HSE. So, I'd be trading some HP for the air suspension, etc.

Thanks!
  • rover_usarover_usa Member Posts: 24
    I thought so...when I purchase my '03 Disco II SE7 new in 2003, I test drove a new 2002 (which the dealership still had not sold), just to see if I liked it over the pricer 2003.

Aside from the bland front head light group of the 2002 (I love the 2003 head lights over the 2002), I felt the power of the 4.6 was very noticeable over the 4.0 2002.

Also, just a feeling (I have not got stats on this), I believe that the 2003 is substantially improved over the 2002 in so far as reliability is concerned...just my 0.02USD worth.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Everything from the 2002 was improved upon in 2003 and 2004 models.

They don't even call 2003 and 2004 Discos Disco IIs they are considered new Discoveries since there were so many improvments.

The MPG for the 4.6 is about identical to the 4.0 in fact you will probably get better gas mileage out of the 4.6 cause you will not have to wind the motor up.

Also the 2002 might have the ACE (Active Cornery Enhancment) system. Being a HSE and a 2002 it has a much greater chance of having ACE. The ACE system is very cool and at the time was very advanced. When it was released in 1999 it made the Disco the only SUV with active suspension. The problem was that Land Rover was maybe a little over ambitious with it. They just did not have the technical know how at the time to make a reliable active suspension system.

The ACE system was prone to failures, was expensive to fix and was the most expensive single option on a Disco. Because of those reasons it was discontinued for the 2004 model. It was offered on 2003 model Discos but I have never seen it on any 2003. I doubt more then a few hundred 2003 Discos have ACE.

ACE was much more popular on the earlier Discos and HSEs in particular. I personaly would love a 2003 Disco with ACE and then do the center diff lock conversion on it. I think it would make a great truck but I understand the extra problems an ACE equiped vehicle would have. Working for a Land Rover retailer though makes it a little easier for me to get things fixed though.

If you are not sure if the 2002 has ACE or if the dealership does not know, if they are not a Land Rover dealer they are probably completly cluess to what ACE is, just send me the VIN and I can tell you what options that vehicle had.
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    Depends on what state you live in. But either way avoid the dealers whenever you can. If you are in FL I know a good place that specializes in Land Rovers. (used to be dealer mechs)
  • discofundiscofun Member Posts: 26
    A few years back I had a ’96 DI (4.0L V8) and when it was in for scheduled service I was given a ’03 (4.6L V8) as a loaner and there was a significant increase in the available engine power for acceleration and highway activity (merging, passing, etc). I bought one.

My city mileage in the ‘96 was 14 and is 12 in the ‘03 but the additional power is what I like.

The redesigned headlamps and the upgraded engine from the former Range are worth it. Go for the ’03.
  • dtopgeardtopgear Member Posts: 25
    Hey lupe1, who's the person you know? I'm in miami and looking for a repair guy for RL's
  • 98discotex98discotex Member Posts: 8
    Looking for advice on some minor "issues" on my 98 Disco II. One of the rear window won't go up at the door- only from the front console. Where might I look 1st in tracking it? Rear moonroof leaks in heavy rain. I had them lubed, as it stuck from time to time. Gasket looks good, although original. Leaks sometimes down to rear AC outlets on roof, and around driver's side (left) back corner of rear moonroof. Thanks and happy Rovering! Just rolled over 100,000 miles- 3rd owner & trying to keep it maintained. An awesome buy! Suprisingly best highway ride I've ever owned!
  • dinomdinom Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 2000 Disco2 with 50k miles have been to the dealer in and out for the last 6 years with so many problems. The discovery was maintained by the dealer and have all the maintenance done until the maintenance schedule expired on Feb of this year. Two major problem that caused an engine replacement due to the heads being warp and no overheating occurred and the engine block was "sweating" in other words the coolant was leaking through the block. I was lucky enough to buy an extended warranty and highly recommend it to anybody who buys any Land Rover product... this is my last LR. Customer service definetly needs a lot of help. If you can afford to purchase a Land Rover with constant problems, more power to you.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    To determine if a car has ACE wouldn't it be easier to crouch down by the front left tire, look in the wheelwell and see if you see a shock absorber like tube bolted to the frame, canted back??

Speaking of the '04 improvements, did they add a tranny dipstick?
    Most people don't even know what ACE is let alone what to look for. It is pretty easy to see if a particular VINed vehicle has certain options just by pumping the VIN into land rovers intranet.
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    It's that time, 60K miles in my '01 Disco. I've never really looked at the wiring so I did a search on this forum on installing the wires and plugs, but did not come up any posts regarding installation instructions. Wires are $77 (Magnecor - 8mm) and plugs are about $80 (Bosch Plat. 4) so I wonder why the dealer quoted me over $500 just to swap out the wires? Are they hard to get to or does it require the removal of the manifold?? I will take a look when I get my Disco back form the dealer, but any posts regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated. (I got an LR3 as a loaner, and I sure miss my Disco - it took me forever to realize the gas cover is not electronically controlled and felt like an idiot when I manually pushed in the cover to get it opened).

Odiopus
    I don't think you have to remove the intake to get the spark plugs but I am not sure.
  • phill27phill27 Member Posts: 31
    I am driving a 2000 DII 74k mi. I replaced the shocks with Bilstiens around 65K mi. I am now hearing squeaks when I go over a series of bumps. Would the bushings make this kind of noise? I lubed them all up, but it still squeaks. Any suggestions?
  • nlswansonlswanso Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone have an idea what would cause the ECU on my 2000 Discovery to overheat and malfunction? After my engine gets to normal operating temperature, it slows to idle and dies. After the vehicle cools off, I can re start it and drive until it reaches normal operating temp again. It will turn over several times while hot, but will not start. If this was the fuel pump it wouldn't start at all. Right?

The vehicle is not overheating, but when this happens I have several unrelated lights begin flashing in the dash just before it dies. This is why I have determined that this is an ECU problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions???? I am stumped!
  • jimmappjimmapp Member Posts: 2
    HELP. A guy has a 2000 DISCO II w/105K miles. Land Rover replaced the engine at 100,000 miles, incl crankshaft main seal, he got it all. Everything checks out good, he replaced rotors 12 months ago. Even has 12month warranty on motor and labor. Motor now has 70 miles on it, he said that they kept it and drove it for 3 days after the work was completed. pretty smart guy eh ? He had purchased the 100K warranty when he bought it new.

Do I do it ? Or go for other DISCO II's with only 50K miles, but take the chance of major engine problems ?

Need some quick input.
    thanks
  • mnrovermnrover Member Posts: 52
    Any info about the maintenance? Fluid changes etc??
  • dzungtledzungtle Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

This is my 1st post here!

I was wondering if anyone in the forum has any experience installing the L/R OEM STC53196 Driving Lamp Kit???

This is supposed to be a current-production kit from Land Rover for the Discoveries!

My girlfriend had a chance to buy this kit for $280, in a sealed box... So, I presume that all the necessary parts are there...

And, I was looking at putting it onto her 2004 Discovery!

Most of the installation steps according to the installation manual seem pretty straight forward, albeit that one needs to remove lots of stuff in the engine compartment and in the passenger cabin to run all the wirings and switches!

I do not like to remove stuff from the dashboard, etc. - as they tend to cause squeaks & rattles in the long run. However, I figure that if I am careful about disassembling and reassembling the dashboard stuff I can minimize the chance of improper fit!

However, I notice that there is (probably) a relay that need to be mounted at the end of the fuse box (to the passenger-side of the engine compartment). This relay is in a wedge-shaped plastic housing with some connectors and a mounting bracket. According to the manual, the bracket attaches to the end of the fuse box housing using the existing bolts.

Of course, the manual (being written in the UK) shows a drawing that does not match the US left-hand drive Discoveries...

Basically, there are some electronics or emission control components that take up some space where the relay could have resided... Thus, I cannot see how this relay would fit into the space that is available as is - if I was to install it per the instructions in the manual!

1. Am I missing something or some parts?

2. If not, how have any of you who had done the same installation gotten around this issue?

3. Any other thoughts, advices, etc.?

Thanks!!!
  • dhodgedhodge Member Posts: 7
    One day my sunroof, side windows, and delay (only)windshield wipers didn't work. We turned the car off and then the sunroof worked then another time it didn't work along with the previous mentioned...why is this? fuses??
    last 2 days everything is fine again but something is funny going on. Any help?
  • riroverrirover Member Posts: 5
    Just got quoted $400 to replace 1 O2 sensor on my 98 Series 1 Disco, $350 of which was for the part, apparently. But, online I can get the part for $109 from Atlantic British. Are these things easy to replace? How is it done?
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    Try checking at the Lan Rover Technical Info web site...

Only 12$ for a full day's accesst o download any number of technical manuals and training material for your Disco.

It's free to sign up to see owner info, and some service bulletins, but it has detail shop manuals on how to do anything with your Disco (for a cheap price). I believe that these are the same set of documents the technicians use to diagnose and repair vehicles with at the dealerships.

Land Rover Global Technical Resource (GTR)

Cheers!

Don
  • riroverrirover Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, Don. Awesome site! I'm all over it.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    No problem..

I've been trying to get the documents for my 2006 LR3 HSE, but the purchasing system seems to not be working for me - I opened a trouble ticket with the LR tech web tech support, so hopefully they will fix it soon.

I think the O2 sensors are part of the engine management system documentation - try reference TT19_2R4 (1), Engine Management Systems, 1998 Discovery Series I.

/DA
  • jacg123jacg123 Member Posts: 1
    save the money and the hassel get a hanging file folder and cut the ends off of one end and you can use that to release the stereo unit they slide in about 2"... By the way what aftermarket cd head unit did you buy?? I am trying to find one for my 03....
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Greetings all, I've been away for awhile and wanted to stop in and say hello. I've got a '96 Disco S1 and she's running like a champ... 110k miles and not a lick of trouble. I finally decided to shortstop any problems that might be accumulating so I'm doing the wheel bearings and replacing the swivel seals, for "just in case". Other than that, she drives like new.

Rover on! -Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Bob, what happened - did it get dark up there and you can't ride the bike anymore? :shades:

Always good to see you pop in!
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Hey Steve!

Nope, it IS getting dark and cold (38 degrees for my ride this morning) but that's why God made LED headlamps! So I can see the moose in the trail.

Here (again) is my favorite photo of the Disco up by Byron glacier. Enjoy!

I check out this board once every six months or so. Its always the same: massive overheating problems, blown head gaskets, Rover buying people new (old style Buick) engines, oxygen sensors going crazy, ABS lites flashing, rapacious dealer prices (e.g, $1300) for brake jobs, etc. etc. (As a side note, I'll bet that down-market Jeep Grand Cherokees with the ol' 318 V8 never, ever have to have their heads pulled before 200K roll under their axles.)

You know, wouldn't a lot of the Disco "demographic" go faster, have more fun, get more psychic satisfaction, etc. in a AWD 911?? Think about it. Sure the opening price is 77K or so but you get 50% of that back in 5 years (the best resale in the industry), enjoy absolutely top build quality, great dealer body, 0-60 in 5 seconds or so, fantastic mileage, no auto tranny w/o a dipstick to worry about, decent foul weather capability, etc. etc.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I check out this board once every six months or so.

Gosh, I could have sworn I saw you here less than 4 months ago! ;)

blckislandguy, "Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II" #4582, 18 Jun 2006 7:26 pm

Maybe we should consider opening a "Disco vs. Carrera" comparison topic. :)

tidester, host
    I confess, I have a strange attraction to these things. Maybe its being of a certain age but functional English things (e.g., AGA Stoves, large country homes, Barbour jackets, etc.) appeal to me. But, everytime I give a Disco a good look, serious negatives pop up.

So, somewhat tongue in cheek, I suggested that a Disco prospect might want to cross shop C4 Porsches. Afterall, most of both of these cars will never go way off road and the buyers probably share a similar psycho/demo profile. The Porsche might even be a better buy! (I don't know where though you'd put the wellies in a 911.)
    I don't know where though you'd put the wellies in a 911.

LoL! That conjures up some very interesting images.

tidester, host
  • swim51078swim51078 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Land Rover Dico and have noticed the front emblem letters are already showing chipping. Is there any type of wax that can help prevent this from occurring? Anyone else have this problem?
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • kylep86kylep86 Member Posts: 51
    Hey, i was just wondering if you could give me some insight on this 2001 Land Rover w/ 50k on it.
    http://ferettimotors.com/site/index.php?s=car&id=2235
    It comes with a 24month, 24,000 mile warranty included in the asking price. Also, whats the required gasoline in these? Thanks! -Kyle
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Land Rover
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • reneregalreneregal Member Posts: 1
    My husband just put a down payment- private party- on a 2002 Disco II : 4.0L/ V8 SD
    Mileage: 58700. He fell in love with it- we've never owned one- without doing a whole lot of research. Now I'm researching and getting a little freaked out by all the maintenance posts- yikes! Did we make a good decision? Is there a 60,000 mile service? and what can we expect to pay for that? We're in SF Bay Area. We're getting rid of our Dodge Grand Caravan- 2005 and already feeling like a bucket of bolts. I'm hoping the LR is a more solid vehicle. Any thought?? Thank You!
    getting a little freaked out by all the maintenance posts- yikes!

I think it's a good idea to keep it all in perspective. People who do have problems tend to seek out solutions but there are no solutions to seek out when you do not have any problems. :)

tidester, host
  • ramonkramonk Member Posts: 1
    hi I have a Landrover Discovery series II. It has been burning a lot of fuel and from time to time it runs hot just for a little while. I was told it it could be an oxygen sensor. This is my first one so if anyone can offer
    any help or advice I would greatly appreciate it

thank you
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Howdy,

I've been lurking on the Disco board for years, but am finally considering procurring one. I would post this message on a non-brand biased thread, but there does not seem to be one? So honest opinions please.

I need an SUV with a >6000lbs GVWR, roomy back-seat for adults, enough headroom for me (6'4"), is narrow enough to fit on steep coastal mountain dirt trails/roads, and can be had for <$22K? My leading candidates are a 2003-4 Disco "S", 2002 ML 500, and maybe a 2003-2004 Jeep GrCh Overland (>6K GVW?). I do not think there are any others? I would love the reliability of a 4Runner or Land Cruiser, but they both do not qualify for different reasons. A pre-certified Disco S seems like the best choice, as they come with a 2-3 year warranty; and they have a soul.

Is there any other SUV that meets my needs? Suggestions?
    You may also want to try What's the best vehicle for my needs?.

tidester, host
    I personaly wouldn't get the S model Disco as you are missing out on a lot of toys. You can't get leather interior in the S, you can't get the seude door trim, you can't get the adjustable arm rests etc. etc. etc.

I just sold, about two hours ago actually, a 2003 Disco SE black on black with 39,000 miles for 20,000 dollars even. That includes the 25,000 mile 2 year CPO warranty as well.

You can find a sub 40,000 miles Disco SE for less then 22,000 dollars.

I don't think the Grand Cherokee is over 6,000 GVRW and the ML is not going to be nearly as capable off-road as the Disco or Grand Cherokee are.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Thanks british_rover and tidester.

I took tidesters advice and continued the discussion in that thread.

Appreciate it.
  • temariatemaria Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

I just bought a 97 Discovery Series I a few months back! I always wanted one of these, but did not know they cost so much to maintain. If I had seen this web earlier, I probably would be waived! But on the other side, I love my Disco. So I got it, paid for it full, got a diagnostic and then got the bulk of news. I repaired what I taught would be it. Then the Specialist told me about my pressure and I can hear a knocking in the bottom of my engine. I have about 150K on the car now, driving from state to state!

Is it better to rebuild my engine or just move on! It will cost about 3000 to rebuilt my engine! If I do rebuilt I am told, I will be starting off with lower miles and less problems. If I sell I will not break even, so I need some help, honest answers! I am learning that men see women coming and they run with that. :confuse:

Anyway, hit me up and let me know what is the best possible solution!
  • temariatemaria Member Posts: 2
    Hey Brettp,

I think that is the best advice for the day! I bought on and did not buy from a dealership, which I should have! I love it, but having problems with it now, need to rebuild engine with 150k on a 97 Disc. But next time I get on, I am going straight to the dealership! So anyone wondering about these, they are just like any other car, you just have to pay extra attention to these babies and BUY from a dealership!

Thanks
  • mading6mading6 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with my car swaying to a side when I drove over uneven pavement, bumps, etc. I looked at my tires and they were low, so I replaced them and the swaying went away.
    Hopefully this is your case
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    Risking the wrath of Lord Lucas, even though there are no longer Lucas parts in the vehicle, I will relate my experience.

I have an '01 DII SE with 132k miles in 5-1/2 years of ownership. I have had 2 services that were not scheduled maintenance that were covered under the extended warranty. I don't think regular maintenance is any more expensive on a Disco than any other luxury SUV or car and I have done mine at the dealer since I have a good relationship with them and the service techs know and remember me (as well as the rest of the customers). Early warranty work was not extensive - only the typical minor oil leaks that once fixed stay fixed.

I was at the LA Auto Show today and driving back to work was thinking how I would rather drive this old DII than pretty much any new SUV I saw there, except for maybe a new LR3! :)

Good luck with your DII.
  • 1st_rover1st_rover Member Posts: 10
    Hello to the forum.

My wife and I just purchased a 2003 Discovery II SE with 45k miles. We (especially my wife) really love the truck.

I have read most of the posts from the past few years to gain a feeling of what dedicated owners think of the Disco/Disco II. Overall it appears to be a solid truck if maintained.

I am interested in maintaining the truck (have done much of this for previous vehicles). It would be helpful to have a manual like a Haynes manual or equivalent. Unfortunately I have not been able to find one for the Discovery II. Does anyone know where to find a manual?

Also saw a post from Discoman that mentioned a maintainence CD. Any information on what this is or where to get it?

Thanks in advance.
  • abutomaabutoma Member Posts: 21
    I do have a challenge to you all. The Landrover workshop guys have not been able to solve the problem: So now it is up to you, please.
    I have a 1996 Disco I
    The handsett (fob) usually works perfect, but then suddenly, when parking trying to lock the doors or when trying to open the doors after parking, the fobs does not work.
    I can open the doors with the door code but I cannot start the engine because the immobilizer has not got the right info from the theft alarm.
    After moving the car or after waiting suddenly it does start again, and may work without problems for days. parking in the same spot is no problem (i.e.: no interference from radio transmissions) And then normally under the worst conditions (full car going on holiday or in cats-and-dogs rain it does not work.

The LR guys have tried replacing the radio receiver part, the fobs, almost everything Nothing works - until the Disco decides to be kind again. It has by now spent almost three months in the workshop.

So it is not interference, it is not week batteries in the fobs.
    Sometimes (but could be coincidal) it happend more often in burning sun (I am speaking about 30 degs C pluss) or in wet weather.

I have given up as have the LR guys.
    But I think it should be possible to ground the starting solenoid and bypass the blocking of the fuel pump, so I could start the Disco when it is in bad moods. But how?
    No, i do not want anyone to give an answer in the forum, but if there is anyone out there that knows the answer I beg you to give the answer to my workshop guys so they can implement it.

As it is I do not dear to use the car becasue suddenly i am stranded in nowhere.

Please, I am on the verge of crying........
    Thanks.
  • suvkingsuvking Member Posts: 1
    yeah about to buy a 2004 land rover disco se interested in keeping in touch for advice and chit chat my email is universalmail101@yahoo.com leave me a screenname if you want i have aim yahooo and msn messengers it just easier to talk on their .ok let me know thanks ps anyone else that wants to talk about grand cherokees ( ive had two) or landrovers ( my friend had two) just email me
  • nstaffordnstafford Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Just browsing the forums looking for miscellaneous information on the LR. I own a LR Discovery11 2000. Love it despite the extra maintenance costs and petrol.(Petrol costs per litre in Ireland are now &#128;1.03) I have a workshop manual CD which was gifted to me by a work colleague, Have used it to great effect doing general work, the detail is fantastic. I used it to replace the Brake disks this year, a job I would have never contemplated before... email me and I'll get it to you by post.This is a once off offer to you alone as you are the first I saw on the forum looking for it. I am not interested in selling or otherwise.
    So anybody else out there, please don't ask !