Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

KIA Sportage Real World MPG

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Please report on your KIA Sportage mileage in this discussion. Please include city/highway, odometer, driving style or similar comments that you think may be helpful. Thanks,

tidester, host

Comments

• pao1pao1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Sportage EX, V6 automatic. There are a little over 3500 miles on it - I do mostly city driving. I'm getting 14.1 mpg. The dealer says that the vehicle will get much better mileage after its "broken in" at about 4500 to 5000 miles. I had the ECM adjustment when I was notified by Kia. Anyone have experience with low gas mileage or other comments about gas mileage? Thanks.
  • petec1petec1 Member Posts: 10
    I have an 06 Sportage automatic EX V-6 as well with about 4300 miles on it and have the same complaints that you do with the mileage. Took it to the dealer who handed me a brochure on EPA testing and basically told me "live with it, it doesn't get any better". I'm getting what you do and drive like you do (mostly city). One poster here said he had good luck by switching to a harder Goodrich tire ........that's not a workable solution when you have only 4300 miles. I change vehicles often and unless something dramatic is done with the transmission (doesn't know what gear it's supposed to be in) and/or the engine, I will not buy another. That's really too bad, because I really love this car in every other respect.
  • mikdeemikdee Member Posts: 27
    What we really need to do, is send a barrage of letters, phone calls, & e-mails to Kia, & Hyundai, to get on the stick, and fix this widely known major problem! That they refuse to acknowledge!

I traded in a perfectly good 2002 Santa Fe LX 2.7 V6 4WD Auto. That gave me 20-24mpg around town, & 24-30mpg on the highway, for over 3yrs, & 87K miles, that was completely stock, except for using 10-30W, winter, 10-40W summer, Quaker State synthetic blend oil, changed every 3-5K miles, for this similarly equipped, lighter, more aerodynamic, GAS HOG! What Did They Do Wrong?!?!?!
  • 14milo14milo Member Posts: 5
    What is the ECM adjustment? Haven't heard from Kia!
    :mad: I too only get 14 mpg city but there have been others on in this forum reporting 17. That sounds more like what we should expect when you take into consideration the EPA overstatement. :cry:
  • 1jacques1jacques Member Posts: 2
    last winter I wrote sevral articles about how lousy my 2006 4wd Sportage was ....I estimated about 10 miles to a US gallon at the worst of it in -20F temp.

at mid point on my gas gauge I was hitting 100 km (60 miles with 25 liters or 5 imp. gallons gone in the tank !!

Summer is here now I can get 200km on a half tank or...
    about 24 miles to one imp. gallon (19.2 miles to a US gallon)

City driving issue was closed shut when I did a 100KM run with Kia mecanic he did 50 km I did Km we both refilled to the top and total consumed was 13.5 liers
    (within kia spec for city driving) except I never drive 100km straight in twn... I go to walmart and back, i get groceries and come back etc...

The kia test met he specs So I stopped complaining although the issue ...doing 10mils per US ga;llon in twon in winter will come back next winter !

pretty lousy if you ask me,

right now...24miles to a Imp. gallon highway driving well what Can I say it is not so bad but by dodge Caravan gave me 30-32 miles to an Imp. gallon going to Florida.

But hey!! In snow on 4wd... it is a real safe car to drive !! :) it just sucks a lot :(
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    That's surprising. My '05 Sonata with the 2.7L engine averages about 18 mpg year round in mostly "city" driving. Lowest I've gotten was 16.something when it was very cold and the highest was 19.something in warm weather. If I do even a little as 50 miles on the highway, the increase in mpg is noticable. I drive 2.7 miles to work, up & down hills, with 2 stop signs the 2 traffic lights (usually only have to stop at one light) and the last 1/2 mile is stop & go due to a traffic light 1/4 mile after my office's parking lot. With 40% highway adn 60% city I've gotten 23+ mpg. The last time I drove a full tank of gas on the highway I got 28+, and that was with only 1100 miles on the car and having to stop for tolls on the Garden State Parkway.

Don't estimate your milage based on the gas guage reading...you'll likely be way off. Maybe you're heavy on the accelerator, maybe you spend a lot of time stopped in traffic (which gives you ZERO mph when stopped).
  • 1jacques1jacques Member Posts: 2
    been using the same foot since I was 20.. now 56
    been driving the same roads in the same city for 36 years
    Been enduring winter after winter

the only vatiable is a awd 2.6L v6 Kia Sportage

I use the odometer to calculate the miles (KM) and the meter on the gas pump to calculate gas quantities and my wallet says OUCH ! :mad: everytime I fuel up
  • 14milo14milo Member Posts: 5
    I have an '05 EX auto w/ 5,300 miles and get 14 mpg in city driving. I just use the computer in the dash to figure it out. If I'd known, I wouldn't have bought the car.
  • daddyedaddye Member Posts: 7
    I have an 05 EX 4WD 2.7.

I too, thought it got bad gas mileage early on.

Now, the car has about 16,000 miles on it. I have had the computer traction control recall work done.

The mileage has gotten noticably better: I do a combination of city/highway, and it gets about 21 MPGs. My feeling is that the EPA rating is right on: if all I was doing was going to get grocercies, errands, etc (lots of stop and go parking lot driving) i think it would get about 19 MPGS. On the highway, it can get 23 or so.

One change I have made that I would recommend is getting a different air filter. I went with the K&N air filter after I looked at the stock air filter that came with the Sportage: The design is poor: the dirt spots on the air filter indicate that most of the air is being forced through only part of the filter, thus probably restricting air flow.

I have been really happy with the sportage. I also own a 2001 Optima that has about 130K miles on it. Mostly, it has needed only regular maintenance.

-e
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My wife's 2005 V-6 4 x 4 Sportage has about 17,000 miles. She averages 19 city, 21 highway. The MPG has not changed much since she bought the car new in April, 2005.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Hey gang, I'm new to the Kia site. Today I drove home my new 06 Kia Sportage LX 4 WD with the 2.7 6 cyl. Olive green paint with the beige interior. Options that we got are keyless entry, mats, and the tonneau cover with an out the door price of $21,000. According to the research that my wife and I did prior to purchase, this seemed like a good deal. Any thoughts from the members? Is there a break-in period for the vehicle? Any other tips you guys can pass on would be appreciated.
  • heimanheiman Member Posts: 1
    2005 Kia Sportage EX 4x4. I use this vehicle for meter reading with lots of stops and idling. I got about 18 MPG during the time that I read meters with it. When my wife drives it she gets about 20-21 MPG with about 50/50 city/highway driving. Currently has about 15,000 miles on it.
  • mikdeemikdee Member Posts: 27
    Hey Craze, That's the color, and model I wanted!,,, But, after looking at a new 2005 last year, I told the salesman I had to have the heated leather seats, & sunroof, with it, he said it wasn't available in that color combo, only dark grey, or black cherry, I told him good bye,,, I chose a 2005 Nautical Blue Tucson LX instead, with all the options I wanted, I'm very happy, except for poor gas milage, 24mpg is the best I've ever got, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for that Olive green, & Tan, Sportage
    By the way, I was quoted close to that figure on the Sportage LX a year ago, so I think you did good! Mike
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    June of last year I bought an '05 LX 4WD 2.7L Olive Green Sportage with the black interior. Still love it except for the mileage. Hovering right around 20 mpg with 50/50 driving. I paid $20,000 out the door, but don't have the keyless or the tonneau cover. So the price sounds about right. I would try not to go much over 65 mph for the first 1200 or so miles. But you should vary your speed when you can and try to avoid the cruise control for awhile. It's in your owners manual I believe.
    Mikdee,
    Thanks for the info. I originally looked at the jade green/gray in a 2wd v6 model but liked the olive/tan setup better. The olive was in the showroom and was the AWD model. I drove the 2wd along with wife and she really wanted the jade. I said to wait a week until the end of the month draws closer and we'll talk price then. Long story short, we got the AWD olive/tan combo with the options for less $$ than originally quoted for the 2wd jade Sportage. I'm glad to hear that your price quote was close to what I paid and it seems like a fair price. Last weekend we drove it on a mini road trip following my 2 oldest son's soccer careers from the mountains of western Maryland, thru West Virgina, and out to the DC area. Our milege at fillup after was at 20.4 mpg. That was the 3rd tank of gas for the vehicle. I would be happy to get 24-25 mpg after break in. My 95 Blazer only got 17 mpg. BTW, I like the nautical blue Tucson. We looked at an 06 ex and it is a nice clor combo with the leather package.
    Hey Bolt,
    Thanks for the info. It was the best vehicle for the $$$ that both the wife and I could agree on. I had not driven the new style sportage and was amazed at the quality and the improvements over the older model. It just feels so solid from the "thunk" of the door closing to the ride and engine sound. Your advice is sound for the break-in period and we'll take caution not to exceed 65 mph. I strongly suggested that wifie read the owner's manual from cover to cover on this car. It's mainly going to be her daily driver and she drives a whole 2.5 miles each way to work. I drive 56 miles one way to work in my Scion XB. When it snows I'll take the Sportage to work and follow my kids soccer games from its comfortable cockpit.
    Funny, I live in Western Md. The best mileage I ever had was 24.5 mpg on a 350 mile trip. I do have a little of the steering wheel vibration, but have yet to get a proper tire balancing done.
    I live in the WV's Eastern Panhandle and am in Western Md. often, so we should get similar gas mileage after mine breaks-in. I don't have any of the vibration in the steering. Will a tire balance fix the issue? My Sportage came stock with the Goodrich T/A Traction Specs, what about yours? I bought the performance T/A Traction's 3 years ago as replacements for my work car and they were an excellent all around tire. I have read a few reviews on Tirerack.com about the T/A Specs wearing out at 20k miles. How have your's held up?
    I'm hoping a tire balance will fix the problem. The steering wheel shimmy gets worse when I'm braking hard. I hope that doesn't mean the brake rotors are warped. As for the T/A Specs, I think they're about average. I may make 40K on them, maybe. From what I've heard, the Specs aren't nearly as good as the original T/A Tractions. I'll definitely be looking for a different model tire when the time comes.
    No problems at 1850 miles. Last tank mileage was 18 mpg in all city driving. We're off to a college soccer game in Columbia, Md. this weekend and we'll get a good concentration of highway miles.
    My wife took it to Hersey, Pa. last weekend and claimed that the steering was pulling to the right on I-81, but I checked it out and didn't find the problem. Maybe the wind? It was blowing pretty good that day. Our friend went with us to the Prime Outlets last week and commented about how much nicer the interior of the Sportage is as compared to his Jeep Grand Cherokee along with a better ride. He's in the market for a new suv and said that he will test drive the Kia's 1st to see if the other suv's can measure up.
    I've also had passengers comment on how smooth the ride is in my '05. A little more insulation in the floor area, and this cute ute would be extremely quiet. Its already pretty nice. My steering was a little off when I first bought it, and had an alignment done under warranty, the only warranty item I've had so far.
  • jamieannejamieanne Member Posts: 4
    I have an 05 AWD Sportage with lots of extras. I love the car with the exception of the mpg. I live in a valley with flat long roads mostly 50 mph. I work in a small town, not too much stop and start or waiting at lights so I wouldn't consider this city driving. I'm an easy on the car driver. My mileage is only 18.5 tops - lower if I go to the city or into the mountains. I complained to Kia - they responded with a brochure about how to drive efficiently. When I call the dealer, they tell me to change to premium gas which contradicts advice in the users manual. They also point to the small print on the sticker saying I should expect 16 to 29 mpg, so I am in the range. They also say, contrary to the advice of another poster that I must use the Kia filters no matter where I get my oil changed. hmm. Really, I feel stonewalled by the Kia dealership and the company. In my opinion they need to fix this problem.

I also see that the new advertising for the Sportage claims high fuel economy. Phooey!!
    Well I guess Kia is advertizing the "good" mileage of the Sportage compared to the Nissan Armada, Chevy Tahoe, or the Ford Explorer. I have friends with those vehicles and they are real gas hogs. The friend with the Armada is chomping at the bit to get rid of it due to the 10-12 city mpg. The loan is upside down so they are stuck with it for a few years. I hadn't heard about the Kia filter issue. I've run Purolator and Mobil 1 filters for years and testing shows these 2 filters to be top notch.

Did Kia tell you that the warranty is void if you use another brand name filter?

I knew before I bought it that the Sportage was not the greatest mpg suv. It is on a par with the Honda Element, CRV, Ford Escape, etc. The ride and interior are nicer than my Chevy Blazer and my friend's Grand Cherokee. I really want a hybrid suv but will wait for the prices and the technology to improve.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    "Did Kia tell you that the warranty is void if you use another brand name filter?"

Having just bought an Optima this certainly caught my eye.

Do they give you the filter free? If not, that practice would be a blatant violation of Magnuson-Moss.
    I just hit the 3,000 mile mark on the Sportage. I have not yet changed the oil as the owners manual states 7,500 for the change, but I have traditionally dropped the oil on new vehicles at 3,000. I usually do all my oil changes with synthetic. As far as the exclusive use of KIA filters is concerned, I will call my neighbor who is the manager of the dealer from where i bought it. I will post his response. How do you like the new Optima?
  • mkennettmkennett Member Posts: 1
    just wanted to let you know the dealer cannot make you use any certain product and cannot void your warrenty for not using a Kia filter it is federal law in the United States. Look up "magnuson-moss warranty act" for more information and if the dealer still claims that you have to use a Kia filter i would call your state attorney because they are trying to scare you and being dishonest.
  • renzo07renzo07 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Im Renzo, I'm from Albuquerque, NM and we just recently bought a brand new 2006 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Fully loaded, Leather Interior, Sunroof, And We Love it, but It does terrible on gas, We Have to fill it up almost every 2-3 days and it's just not working for us, but we love it to pieces, its comfortable the ride is impressive and incredible, but I need advice in the Gas, Do I need to use Premium Gasoline, Or What Do I do? Also I need to take it in monday for a defective tire!!! Thanks!!! :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You didn't say what your mileage is but with the 2.7 L (6 cylinder) version at the low end of the EPA numbers (i.e. mostly city) that adds up to about 300 miles per tank (15.3 gallons). It sounds like you're doing some heavy duty driving. I'm guessing that's an Albuquerque-Santa Fe commute. :)

tidester, host
    Hi, Well I don't do a Albuquerque-Santa Fe Commute, I guess it's because I drive It Alot, but Still It Waste To much Gas!!!! Well Thanks anyway!!!!
    Renzo07
    Your MPG will improve slightly as you break it in. Make sure your tires are inflated to 33-35. We have 4600 miles on our 06 LX 4x4 and ours is steadily improving. My wife uses it mostly in city driving so I have no highway numbers yet, but the last tank was 20.562 mpg.
  • pao1pao1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Sportage EX V6 4WD. Bought it new in late summer 2005. I have never gotten good gas mileage. I got the usual "wait until its broken in" line. They said that would be at 5,000 miles. I do mostly city driving, so I don't expect the best, but since it was rated at 19, I'd be happy with 17. Well, I'm up to almost 7,000 miles (not many roads in Alaska!), and I'm getting 13.2 MPG. The best it ever got was 14.4. I took it to the dealership and asked them to go over it to see if they could find anything wrong. At the end of the day they said they didn't find anything wrong. Then he said that the reason I was getting bad mileage is because the car is in 4WD all the time and its not broken in. That made me see red! I told him I have NEVER driven the car in 4WD and I would think at almost 7,000 miles it would be broken in. I think I would know if the car wa in 4WD! He just said there was nothing they could do. I'm like most people here - I really like the car but this is very bad mileage. I read the other posts about gas mileage and haven't seen any messages that get mileage as bad as mine. I read the suggestion about changing the air filter and I'll try that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    P
    P-
    Last week I changed the oil and filter in my 06 LX V6 4WD with 5200 mikes on the vehicle and oil. I know that the owners manual states 7500 miles between changes, but I didn't want to wait that long. The used oil seemed overly dirty and thick while draining. I wonder if Kia fills the new vehicles with some type of break-in oil. I replaced the oil with Penzoil 5w30 full synthetic and the filter with a Purolator Pure One. The Purolator seems an identical match to the factory Kia filter, and I wonder if Purolator makes Kia's oil filters. The Fram filter wasn't even close visually to the factory filter so I avoided it.
    I put 35 lbs of air in the tires, filled the tank and took off on a 100 mile trip with the cruise set at 70 mph. I noticed the mileage seemed to improve because the gauge wasn't moving as quickly during the trip. I did not get a final tally yet as my wife is now driving solely in the city for trips under 2 miles, but it looks like it's doing better. I'll post here on my MPG at next fill up. Does anyone have actual highway MPG figures on the Sportage 4WD V6?
  • sporty3sporty3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 sportage LX and I also notice that the gas mileage is not the best. How much air do you put in your tires? The sticker on the door says 30psi but they always look low. When I had my tires rotated, the dealer filled them to 34. I have no idea which is correct!!!!!!! HELP!!
    The vehicle posted pressure and the tire posted pressure have been points for argument over many years. Ford and Firestone had the famous finger pointing case several years ago. The car makers tend to list the tire pressures lower in order to make the ride softer. The tire folks list most pressures up to a max of 44 psi.
    Personally, I tend to run tire pressures in all my vehicles at 33-36 psi. I have the Kia's tire pressures at 36. I find that the ride may be firmer but handling and MPG are better. You should be ok with 34 PSI.
    I just got back from a highway trip in my 06 Sportage LX V6 AWD and am reporting my MPG. For the Easter holiday I took my son to see his grandmother in NJ. As posted above, I changed the oil to Pennzoil Synthetic and filled the air pressure to 34 lbs in the tires. I headed straight out the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike, and on to the NJ Shore area. 263 miles door to door, and I filled the tank at the 344 mile mark. About 240 of the miles were highway at speeds 65-80 mph with the cruise control set. Highway miles figured to be about 70% of the trip. 344 miles and filled 14 gals. = 24.57 MPG. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the numbers, and the Sportage now has 6700 miles on the odometer. The Kia ran great on the highway. It was very comfortable cruising, and had plenty of passing power when needed.
    Well i have done what people have said....I waited until it broken-in and it does ok on the gas mileage but I still have to fill up every 3-4 days maybe 5 pushing it. But they do really bad for being a small SUV. Thats rather rediculous!
    I just returned from another 625 mile jaunt to NJ and back. Speeds on I-95 and I-295 were 65-80 and used cruise most of the time. MPG of 25.21 upon fillup. The Sportage ran great and just passed the 11,000 mark.
  • ddemingddeming Member Posts: 11
    to all you people that says the owners manual states to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles,are you blind. all of you are stating that you drive in the city, which would put you on the severe duty maintenance page of your owners manual. it says to replace your oil and filter every 3000 miles. pretty much unless you live in the country and drive 20-30 miles nonstop at cruising speed or live on an entrance and exit ramp to a freeway you should follow severe duty maintenance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oil's a lot better than it used to be. I'm on a 7,500 mile interval on my minivan that's been used mostly for interurban commuting the last 75,000 miles (~10 miles each way). The first 35,000 miles were mostly highway. I've about used up the usefulness of the van over the last 9 years (it certainly doesn't have much resale value), and it hasn't sludged up yet.

Check out Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2.
  • lmp4lmp4 Member Posts: 188
    Consumer Reports had a good
    report about fairy tales too and practically, uses same wording as yours, steve.
    You may have to right click > open that link to get it to open in your browser.

The rap about that CR oil report is that the taxis ran for hours on end and didn't experience many cold starts. I think most fleet owners ignore the interval recommendations and go by oil analysis. More in that discussion I linked above.
  • illimeyillimey Member Posts: 3
    ~25MPG!

Even if it doesn't improve slightly from that - I'm still gonna be happy. Who needs a V6 anyway? And most definitely nobody needs a slushbox tranny!

For comparison purposes, that first tank of gas propelled my new truck for 347 miles, approx. 75% of which were highway commute, and the other 25% moderate stop/start suburban.

Just so y'all know the extent of my madness from the get go, last week I actually bought 2 [TWO] I4 5spd Sportages [1*4x4, 1*4x2]! Couldn't resist the combination of rebates taking the price down to around invoice PLUS 0% for 5 years! Traded in an '05 Element and an '06 Sonata....

:surprise:

I have to say, if there's anyone reading this who

a] is considering a new Kia, and
    b] lives a reasonable distance from Elmhurst, IL [near west Chicago suburb]

- head on over to Napleton Auto Group's Elmhurst Kia, ask for [censored!!!] tell him Mr. H the 5spd Sportage freak sent you, and prepare for the best car buying experience of your LIFE. [Censored!!!!] rocks, as does the whole dealership.

:shades:
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Re. some older posts regarding the Kia oil filter OEM manufacturer . . . the Kia oil filter, and the Hyundai filter like it, for the Beta II Inline 4 is supplied by Mann of Germany. Mann is an excellent filter, and is likely superior to the Pure One filter by Purolator. There is a TSB regarding the use of OEM Kia and Hyundai filters, and this is specifically because of the design of the anti-drainback valve in the filter.
  • oldschool42oldschool42 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2008 Kia Sportage LX in the base 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual transmission configuration. For the first 750 miles it has averaged 30 mpg on mostly rural highways, which I consider quite good for a 3300-lb. vehicle. Speed limits were generally adhered to, and speeds were kept to below 65 mph. I've noticed highway claims of around 25 mpg for V6 automatics, which begs the question, is the extra 20% obtainable from the 4-cyl. manual worth having to forego the extra pep and having to do your own shifting? I guess I'm one of those odd people who still enjoys shifting gears, and if I can squeeze a few extra miles out of that $3+ per gallon in a relatively comfortable vehicle, that's an added bonus. :)
    Hey I'm with you. I would rather save the $$ and do a little shifting for a few more MPG's. My wife on the other hand, refuses to drive another stick shift. Her commute is all of 2 miles to work through city traffic. She last drove a stick in 1995 before I sold my F-150 4X4 Supercab and will not consider another one, and since she is the principle driver of the KIA it was a no brainer. Is your 5 Speed a 4X4 or 2 WD?
  • colabricolabri Member Posts: 1
    How do I remove the plastic inner panel on the rear hatch of my 2009 Kia Sportage without wrecking anything? I am going to install a back-up camera because the factory window tint in the back is so dark that it is hard to back up out of parking spots safely. I need to remove the panel to get to the wiring to hook up to the camera. The instructions say to hook the power wire to the backup lights but I am going to wire the camera to the license plate light because it is easier. And also there is a wireless transmitter that needs to be installed in the rear hatch and that needs to be wired in also.
    Also, is there anyone out there who gets better than 15mpg in town? I was wondering if maybe I turned the ESC off that the gas mileage would improve? I don't know what my highway gas mileage is, it only has 1500 miles on it and I haven't been on the highway much.
  • capecodgolfercapecodgolfer Member Posts: 17
    Now that many of you have owned your Sportage 2011 for a while please share with us your MPG. Past models I know have had pretty sad MPG ratings. I keep hoping the new engine will make a difference. Right now I'm torn between RAV and the new Sportage. The Sportage EPA highway ratings are high but no one seems to reach them. I need some insight before making my choice. Thanks
  • crhowardcrhoward Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting about 19 MPG city, and about 22 Hwy. I've got about 2600 miles on my 2011 Sportage, so I'm hoping the mileage gets better with time.... :)
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.