Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Coupe Gas Mileage Reports

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited September 2014 in Honda
Share your actual MPG with other Accord coupe owners here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• duracellduracell Member Posts: 10
    I have averaged 23 MPG in the last 7 tanks of fuel--No city stop and go but very little freeway either.

I live in the suburban area of SE Portland.
  • magbarnmagbarn Member Posts: 35
    1st tank avg 31MPG. Car only has 500 miles. :D Driving is a 80%/20% Hwy/City mix
  • plethysmoplethysmo Member Posts: 42
    2003 Honda Accord Coupe LX-V6
    57779 miles
    2039.24 gal
    28.33 mpg
  • chillenhondachillenhonda Member Posts: 105
    03 Accord V6 6M coupe - has 37K miles now. Overall lifetime average is 28.3 mpg. Driving from San Diego, CA to New York City, NY I averaged 31.2 mpg over 3755 miles. A/C was on about half the time, car was fully loaded with stuff. Best tank was driving from New York City to Boston, MA to Saratoga, NY. Filled up at 526 miles and it took 14.75 gallons. Thats 35.6 mpg. I was taking it easy tho, had the cruise on 65-70 the whole time. Im pretty impressed, altho the A/C does decrease mpg noticeably, as does city driving.
  • bmanflyerbmanflyer Member Posts: 5
    06 coupe Auto 4 cyl Avg 32 to 34 MPG 60% HWY 40% City driving 1100 miles on car :)
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    2003 6spd coupe, 27K miles, and I tend to drive this a bit aggressively, I admit.

I average about 20~22 in the city, 25~28 on the freeway in 6th gear. Typical fillup MPG is about 21 since 80% of my driving is in town.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....2005 V-6 EX 6M: mixed 60/40 gives 25-27.....

..best ever was I-10 between Gila Bend and Yuma (AZ)..flat-[non-permissible content removed] desert, no a/c, cruise 2150 rpm........39.3

..great car (clutch is vague as hell. Car has better numbers than prior '69 CorVette........

..ez..
  • bobedmundsgbobedmundsg Member Posts: 3
    Who has done this? Can you describe the steps?
  • bobedmundsgbobedmundsg Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a chat room that has people that have rebuilt their Coupes, replaced parts and customized. Is there one out there somewhere? Thanks!
  • ritlinritlin Member Posts: 36
    I have been thinking about buying the 6 speed, drove the sedan 6 speed once, and loved it. The dealer was in with me, so I don't know how clear I was thinking. I have a Si civic right now and enjoy it, just looking for a more refined feeling, with the same performance.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Ride is more refined and the performance is much better (0-60mph in 5.9 seconds) mileage only suffers a couple of miles per gallon. I get 30-32 highway regularly and have gotten as high as 35 with 6-speed 2005 Coupe. Also the Accord has pretty low insurance rates, probably lees than the Si.

Tough decision, good luck.

MidCow
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, Bob,

This looks like it might be what you're looking for:

Speed Shop: Tuning & Modifications

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

...I have been thinking about buying the 6 speed, drove the sedan 6 speed once, and loved it.

...just found this thread. regret delayed reply.

..owned an '05 AV6 6M since summer 2005.

Everything very positive (well, the splendid engineering stops with the vague, abrupt and(per TOV)nanometric clutch.)

..at 25k only problem was inop window fixed under warranty.

just ran a fuel check 24Nov - 18Dec..... Mean: 27.9 Median: 27.3 Mode: 27.4. About 60/40 fwy/city around state capital.

I'll be looking at the new 8th Gen coupe (better clutch feel/engineering fix maybe).....most likely: Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S/keep the '05 and go for a sunroom.........

all the best, ez
  • dknight211dknight211 Member Posts: 5
    2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6

80% city
    20% highway

After several fillups ... calculated 21 mpg (yes, ouch ... and I already accelerate with a light foot and coast to stops)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sounds pretty close to EPA numbers of 20/29. If the majority of your driving is city, it makes sense that you'd have an average closer to the city number than the highway number.
  • doug4321doug4321 Member Posts: 27
    I have an 05 Accord EXL V6 Coupe with 30,000 miles and I get 25-26 MPG with 70% highway and 30% city driving.This is just about the reverse of your driving,so you are probably right in the ballpark.The 3.0 Honda V6 engine is NOT very fuel efficient.My 04 Pontiac GTP(supercharged 3.8)got better mileage than my Accord.Go figure.
  • nil3305nil3305 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Accord Coupe EX with about 94,000 miles on it. Lately my car seems to eat more gas than normal. I mostly drive on the highway using cruise control and don't drive it rough any other time. What can the problem be? I get my oil changed, tires rotated, and get alignments on a regular basis although, I just had a problem with my front driver tire wearing in one section towards the outer wall. This tire along with the other front tire were replaced with new ones. My back tires are still new. I just don't know why my car still eats more gas?? Any suggestions...
  • chd1chd1 Member Posts: 8
    Purchased on 4/28/08, below is mileage per tank since (didn't log data for three fill-ups), my commute is 80% highway, but I drive like an [non-permissible content removed]:
    26.8 (doing 75-80 mph highway the whole tank)
  • mikekrausemikekrause Member Posts: 3
    Speed matters. My car currently has 8,500 miles. Last week, I took two, 180-mile round trip drives, mostly interstate. I deliberately drove at 55 m.p.h, and got nearly 37 miles per gallon. Amazing! This is 20% more than the EPA rating of 31 mpg.

I also have a 1998 Toyota Avalon with over 230,000 miles, and in March, the car got nearly 32 miles per gallon (for a 540 mile drive), mostly on the interstate, and mostly at 55-60 mph.

It's hard to drive the speed limit on the interstate. In the past, I usually drove 70-75 mph on these drives. But, I decided to experiment, to see what kind of performance mileage that the cars could achieve. My takeaway is that the modern auto is capable of impressive mpg, but you have to sacrifice some speed to see the impact and savings.
  • tommystonestommystones Member Posts: 19
    80% Highway
    20% City/Suburban

Used 16 Gallons Of Reg Fuel
    Got 358 Miles Out Of It.
    ----------------
    22.37 Miles Per Gallon

Im slightly disappointed ... I was expecting more like 25 miles per gallon.
  • ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,

I purchased the accord EX 4cyl 09 last week and in my first tank, which is about 3/4th empty now, I got a mileage of about 300 miles. 80% interstate. Do you think that the mileage might increase in the near future or is thr a way to tune up to give better mileage?
  • rogerb34rogerb34 Member Posts: 30
    Drag increases as the square of speed. Recent article says 24 cents per gallon increase in costs for 5mph increments above 60 mph. Coefficient of Drag is the deal. My 05 Accord .29 - .30. 05 Camry .28, Prius .26. Summary here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficients
  • 03accord6spd03accord6spd Member Posts: 1
    I drive a lot and keep on all my maintenance. My car gets 38mpg highway and around 27mpg City. Its not hard if you know how to drive efficiently. Also, I don't drive like a old Asian woman who goes 35 on the highway.
    I drive a 2005 Accord 6M coupe and can echo your MPG notes.

The fuel numbers logged since driving off the showroom floor summer 2005 are much better than expected.

Mine was $25550 OTD. Hard to beat that combination of cost/mpg/performance. I would not drop clutch like Car and Driver test guys (but then again they log a 14.5 second quarter miles with this car).

hang in there, ez,,,,
  • limaguy79limaguy79 Member Posts: 5
    I think the best I ever had out of my 09 Accord Coupe 4 cyl. was 29 mpg on what I would consider heavy interstate traffic. I avg. about 24 mpg in mixed driving and with a somewhat heavy foot. Thats not too bad but I think a Honda should be able to do MUCH better. I dont mind driving the speed limit and such but I dont want to have to work too hard to achieve relatively good mpg numbers. I have a 2003 Accord V6 which Ive seen get 32.5 mpg from Ohio to TN. Gas mileage would have been better for this generation but the Accord has gained some weight.
  • stewardliestewardlie Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

How do you know you MPG though? I know that it does not show the driver's average MPG on the display. Do you just count them like when you fill up your gas and put the ODO meter to 0 and then just divide them? Is that how you do it? Mine is a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe.
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    Yes, when you fill up the tank, set your odo to 0. At your next fill up, divide the number of miles into the number of gallons you buy and you'll get the miles per gallon.

Here's mine: 2007 Accord Coupe, 4 cyl, automatic transmission (about 39,000 miles)

422 mi driven/12.94 gallons bought = 32.6 mpg.

My driving is 80% freeway (I set my cruise control to 65 mph), and 10% city, and 10% gridlock traffic (where you can get out of your car and walk faster).
    ....shifting at 2500 (vice 3500) RPM ups fuel efficiency (but non-VTEC lowers fun coefficient)

Numbers: 1-28 to 2-28-2011= 1405 miles driven/49.8 gallons of 87.................

Seven tanks: Mean 28.25; Median 27.92 and Mode 27.9. With winter fuel yet!!

ez....
This discussion has been closed.