Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Real World MPG

Comments

• smily157smily157 Member Posts: 14
    Just in case, I just think it is safer, should I encounter a traction problem, it is already set, and it shouldn't use up much more gas because it is auto and not always running.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    Running it in 4WD auto also eliminates FWD torque steer, which can be a problem with a V6. Mileage is basically the same in either mode.

You will never get the same mileage as a 2WD car by switching your 4WD knob to 2WD. The mass of the drivetrain is still there, and most of the parts continue to spin, regardless of the mode you're in.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    21 mpg on my very first tank (calculated), all Chicago Suburbs, no highway. Trip computer shows from 19 (traffic and couple of stops), to 27 mpg (evening with all green lights, avg. 40-50 mph). So far I'm happy with those numbers.
  • rancho66rancho66 Member Posts: 6
    LS AWD: First tank 21.7 50/50 city highway...temps between 30-50 always with 2WD selected. Should get a little worse once the temp stays under 30 this winter, but better than a Dodge Dakota!
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Yup, about the same here (LS AWD too). I did see 26 MPG HWY in Aug when I got it but most tanks were averaging 23. Now with colder weather in the 30's -40's just above 20 MPG with a 50/50 mix.
    I traded a Dakota 4WD also and that pig was down to 13 at trade in time. (got about the same all the time) I'm hoping I go back up to 26-27 HWY with the Outlander when it gets warmer again with these gas prices!
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I also have an LS AWD and have averaged from 21.5 to about 23.5. City/suburban, mostly. I've yet to get under 21 and can hit 26 with all highway. I hit just under 30 MPG on the highway once according to the computer, but I must have had a heck of a tailwind, since I've never seen it since. :)
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • pogiz72pogiz72 Member Posts: 2
    Which saves fuel, driving in automatic or manual (clutchless)??? :confuse: Thanx! :
    I dunno but I would guess automatic. The few times I used the manual control, eventually I would forget to shift and end up revving it more than I should have. The auto seems to shift enough to keep the RPM's where they should be. It won't let you run it at a low enough RPM to help much with the mileage, anyway.
  • pogiz72pogiz72 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah ! I guess ur right, manual control is just for "fun". Though I really like driving in manual. :shades:
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    I have been putting the paddle shifters to good use everytime I drive in the freeway. I find it a necessity when passing other vehicles. Of course it takes a while to get use to put it off by holding + for a few seconds, but frequent use of the shifters will eventually make the routine almost automatic. I'm glad Mitsubishi included it as a factory option. However, I'd like to see MMNA bring over the paddle shifter as an accessory (as offered in Japan) so ES and LS owners will have the option too.

I have driven the new model CR-V of a friend lately and I can't stand the revvs. Well, she wouldn't listen to my suggestions. I couldn't stand the lag when passing. She doesn't drive like me anyway, and she prefers the prestige of the brand vs handling.
  • kman144kman144 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please tell me why the 2008 Outlander is getting 3 MPG less than the 2007 Outlander. Aren't they essentially the same car or did Mitsubishi exaggerate the 2007 mileage to help sell a new model vehicle. The mileage I am currently getting on my 2007 LS is more in line with the 2008 posted MPG. I get about 300 miles per tank with 50/50 local/hwy driving.
    The EPA changed the way the tests are done for 2008. All vehicles (not just Mitsubishi) will show less in 2008 than 2007 (the claim from the EPA that the 2008 way is more real world). Once again you may see things go up in the spring if you're in a cold part of the US right now. I was getting about 350 miles per tank in the warm
    with my 4WD LS driven in 2WD..
    Has anyone seen a low fuel warning light or something to indicate when the fuel is real low? I've ran it down to the last bar on the gauge but I hate to go any farther than that. My wife forgets to check the gauge and it would be nice to know if there's a light or something that goes on.
    RE: Low fuel warning: It comes in 2 phases.

The first is a momentary flash waning about low fuel on the screen in yellow and then the small fuel icon pulses after going back to red. In the second phase, the screen stays locked in yellow with "refill now" (when you're much lower), You can't get any estimated range left once this happens and you must hold down for a more than a few seconds to see any other gauge functions.

No, you can't mistake when it thinks it's low! ;-)
    Thanks. I'm sure she'll check out these warnings for me. :blush:
    I just got back from a trip from Rochester to Boston area this weekend. My Outlander has the lag mod and going out in good weather in FWD the indicated MPG hung around 26 (never exceeded 26.5) and the actual measured fill up was 25.3 for almost all HWY.

Coming back in the storm (lousy conditions) I saw an indicated 22.3 but haven't filled it up yet for the actual. This was in 4WD the whole way and combined around town and HWY. I confirmed the OEM Yoko Geloander tires for the LS are crap when it comes to lane changes through ruts (forward traction was fine).
  • archquarkarchquark Member Posts: 14
    I posted to this thread back in the summer and stated that out XLS Outlander was getting an average of 27.5 MPG ( Imperial Gallons ). At this point in time with 17,000kms * 0.6213712 = 10,563 miles our average has dropped to 26.97 MPG, albeit weather here in Ontario in winter is probably contributing to lower average.
    It seems like the cold weather seems to make a bigger difference in mileage on the Outlander than in other cars I've owned. Maybe having the mileage display makes me notice the drop more.

It has been a brutal winter here in Wisconsin, it's about 9 degrees now.
  • macuismacuis Member Posts: 8
    I would second that comment. The previous week was -30°C (-51°C windchill), and my last tank which was half city, half highway was 18.5L/100 km or 12.7 MPG.
  • archquarkarchquark Member Posts: 14
    Temperature today ( Wednesday February 20 ) is supposed to be -5C and tonight -17C. I remember those -30C to -50C days when I lived in Thompson Manitoba in the 70's.
    When weather gets above 0C mileage increases significantly. Last week we got 29MPG ( Imperial gallons ) on one tankful.
  • hazelsphilhazelsphil Member Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying a 2008 Outlander FWD with the new 2.4L engine - what kind of gas mileage can I expect? And, is the engine avoiding any first year type issues?
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    EPA MPG 20 city, 25 hwy:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

The gas would cost you only $200 more per year vs. Outl 2WD V6: based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, 15000 annual miles and the price of fuel used by the vehicle.
    I know it's just a trip computer reading, but last night it recorded 30 MPG on a late night 10 mile drive in Chicago suburbs, no traffic and all green lights. Looks like summer grade fuel can make a difference. This morning on the way back (regular traffic) it shows 25MPG. If not for high fuel prices, I would be all celebrating. So, don't worry about your winter low numbers, it should be much better for the next few months.
    I had a stretch last summer on the highway where I almost hit 30 MPG. A few more miles and I would have did it. Still, I've never had a tank under 20, even with much city and suburban driving. I'm going on a two thousand mile trip next month, and having plenty of room for the family and luggage, and about 25 MPG, is pretty good. I'm glad to have the satellite radio, too, when we're out west and in the middle of nowhere.

On the downside, first little dent yesterday. Looks like someone swung their door into it at a store. Oh well, it will be a year old next month. ;)
    You must live in a warmer part of the country than me. In winter, when I have to warm it up for 1-2 min. every morning, I saw tanks as low as 18 MPG (no highway).
    Sorry for your dent, first one is the worst.
  • macuismacuis Member Posts: 8
    Winters are always brutal. My worst tank was 13.1 MPG or 18L/100km. Granted the winter was extremely cold (-32 C or -25.6 F) for that week and a bit. So far the temperatures have been around the 0 to 10 C mark, and its improved to 13.8L/100km or 17 MPG. Hopefully it improves much more. I only have 2400 km on it too so maybe it still has a lot of break in left.
    I'm in Wisconsin, no mild winter here. I've seen less than 20 on the computer running around town, but taking it to work on county roads brings the average up on a tank.

Yeah, I gave the wife a little grief over the dent, but she does the shopping and it had to happen sometime.

Macuis, you should see a big improvement in mileage as the weather warms up, I know mine really dropped as winter came.
  • janscijansci Member Posts: 5
    Anyone tried putting bioethanol mixed gasoline in their 2.4L Outlanders?
    Anyone tried putting bioethanol mixed gasoline in their 2.4L Outlanders?

If you're talking about E85 "flex fuel" I think only the Raider is the only Mitsubishi rated for that.(if you call it a "Mitsubishi" vs a "Dodge")

Otherwise it's hard not to get E10 blend these days (Not a big fan of the stuff for various reasons, but have no choice...and no I have the V6)
  • blitzkrieg79blitzkrieg79 Member Posts: 36
    So anyway, I haven't seen too many guys with 2.4l Outlanders posting their real world numbers, I know what says on the sticker but I would like to know what is the average real world mileage. I know that the V6 models get around 22 MPG in mixed driving and I wonder if 4 bangers are more efficient than the 6 cylinder considering that Outlander is a rather heavy vehicle for a 2.4l engine which the weight would make the engine work harder.

As a side note, the 4 cylinder engine should be cheaper to maintain considering that it has 2 less cylinders and a timing chain instead of belt.
  • janscijansci Member Posts: 5
    Ok...I'm guessing its safe to put E10 in then...
    Ok...I'm guessing its safe to put E10 in then

Yes no problem running E10. E10 is not something you want to leave in a tank for a while if not used (separates into layers). Particularly a problem in boats or lawnmowers,etc not used for a while (attracts moisture and boats being near water...) You also get less MPG with ethanol and it drives up the price of food, but so long as you don't let your car sit for a few months you're safe while ADM gets their cut of fuel $. :(
  • mlewis1mlewis1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 06-07 Outlander. Does the Outlander require premium fuel and how is the gas mileage?
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    The 07 requires regular unleaded, so is the 08. 06 and 07 models are different cars though, so can't say about the 06.
    06 and 07 are completely different models. 06 is older, smaller design with 4 cyl engine only. For 07 it was redesigned, and came with 3.0L V6, 220hp engine. EPA is 17/24 mpg for AWD variant. In real life I'm averaging 21-22 mpg with this configuration. For 2008 4cyl engine came back. I don't know fuel consumption figures for either of 4 cyl engines, but all of them use just regular fuel.
  • costello1costello1 Member Posts: 60
    I have 07 xls 4wd and get 27-28 on the hwy, about 20 in town.
  • climbercitoclimbercito Member Posts: 1
    I do have a 2007 XLS, V6 - 4WD, and I get an average of 21.5 MPG city driving only (not highway driving involved), and I get an average of 23-25 when Highway driving is combined with some city driving.. The most I have gotten is 31 MPG - all Highway driving on a fairly flat highway at 60 MPH on a 120 miles trip. I get mi figures by filling it up - counting the miles and calculating how much gas it takes to fill it up again for the miles I have driven. I use gas grade 85 ( I live in colorado so our lowest octane is 85 instead of 87) - I do not put cheap discounted gas on my vehicle, and during the winter, when driving the steep hills to the ski resorts with the car loaded with 4 people a dog and a cargo box full with skiing gear, I usually get 24-25 MPG with winter driving condition and the vehicle set to automatic 4WD.

The mileage I get is I bit better that what the sticker reflects (19-26) in general, of course depending on the driving conditons.

I hope that info helps.
  • jjc335jjc335 Member Posts: 14
    I take a monthly trip from central Il to South east MI about 400 Miles.
    The worst I got was 25.1 and the best was 27.1 I have done this trip about 10 times.
    I seems to me what matters most is the wind speed and direction the wind is coming from.
    I have an 07 xls.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    On a recent trip to Houston, from St Louis I achieved 27.4 (calculated) on a trip of 1700 miles. I tried to stay at 65 MPH or lower. Gas mileage is very sensitive to speed. Around town I usually achieve 19 MPG or better. If I drive 50% on Interstate (5 blocks away) I achieve 23 -24 MPG.
    I'm going to South Dakota, from Milwaukee, in a couple of weeks. I figure about 2000 miles round trip. I planned on 25MPG, at about $4.00 a gallon. It would be great if I got better mileage, but there will be 4 of us, with luggage, and I know we'll be going 80 or so when we're in rural Minnesota and South Dakota.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    The first warning comes on at 13.5 gallons used (2.0 gallons remaining)

The second low fuel warning comes in at 14.5 gallons used (1.0 gallons remaining).

Bud H
    I just took another trip.On the way up I got 28.5 and on the way back I got 26.00.
    I average 68 through Il. and 72 throug MI.I don't baby it or do I race It.but I will blow by a semi now and then.I think the mpg of this vechile is very impressive considering the power it has.
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    Gene, do you have the V-6?
    Yep.
    Yes! 2007 XLS.
    I haven't had the chance to take a long trip yet, but man that gives me hope. I'm still on my first tank of fuel, and my MPG meter is usually around 21 MPG here in town.

Why in the heck did they make an MPG meter that resets itself every time you get in the darn car? It sure would be nice to have a "running total" for the entire tank.
  • ohthelawdohthelawd Member Posts: 17
    Your next-to-last sentence is dead on, at least for the 1st gen Outlanders. I bought a 2003 2wd new, and I loved that thing. But the 4cyl was just having to work too hard. I drive pretty cautiously, but even with this I was only getting about 20-21mpg (I drive about 50/50 city/highway, but my area has a lot of hills). I just traded it in on a 2008 Honda Fit (I'll give you three guesses as to why...). Anyway, my wife has a Pacifica now, so there was no reason for us to have 2 SUVs in the house. I loved the Outlander, though. It was easily the best vehicle I've even owned as far as value, comfort, utility, etc. I just couldn't bear to keep putting gas in it! I wish Mitsu had experimented with a small-displacement V6 for the 1st gen Outlander, to see if there was any mileage improvement.
    I (and I think many others) agree with the MPG meter resetting after 4 hours. I would also rather have a running total, or at least the option.

I also think the Outlander has pretty good mileage for a vehicle of this type with a V6.
    FYI I use a synthetic blend motor oil(Motorcraft) and change every 5000 miles.
    I believe the sythetic increases mileage.
    I'll be going with Amsoil 0w-20 full synthetic when I'm through with the break in period.