Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please report on your Mitsubishi Outlander mileage here.

Include your odometer reading, city/highway mix, driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg with yours. Thanks!

Steve, Host

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    I have an '03 AWD with 40K miles on it. I can drive it back and forth to work, 22 miles 1 way, back roads and city street mix. It constantly gets 24mpg on this commute. I typically get 27 on highway trips, but once got 30 when the car had 11K miles on it.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    We own an 04 Outlander AWD with the 4 cyl Mivec, approximately 25k. With mixed country/city driving it averages about 22/24 mpg although on highway trips with the whole family (5) plus luggage it gets 27/28 mpg running on cruise at 70/75 mph. Much better then I had expected.

This is our 3rd Mitsubishi & the best one so far.
  • texas4texas4 Member Posts: 11
    06 LS 2wheel drive with 400 miles....so far averaged about 22mpg....with a mix of highway/city....and the air on all the time....need to take a road trip for highway mpg...
  • pog4pog4 Member Posts: 13
    Driving from northern California to Reno Nv 291 miles - used 9.8 gallons.

29.6 mpg
    Tried to keep the tach under 3k most of the trip.

Around town I usually average 23-24mpg in my 03 xls 2wd
  • buddenbergbuddenberg Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 03 outlander, it auto two wheel drive, four banger, but Im getting horrible gas milage, around 15 mpg. anybody have thoughts on this? its supposed to get 22 26
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Mileage is a very complicated parameter. The car engine, and its components are quite "predictable" factors, as long as the car is well-maintained. The variable ones are driving habits and traffic condition, which greatly affect MPG ratings. Also your choice of transmission (auto vs manual) and typical load, etc. So try to look on those things and see where you can improve.
  • 90dakota90dakota Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander SE & I now have almost 3,000 miles on it. I am typically getting 20mpg on the highway at best, and about 15mpg in the city is this normal? My wife drives a Subaru Forester and the mpg was great from the begining. I personally like the styling on the inside & outside of the Outlander, plus it seems roomier that the Subaru. The really only disappointment is the gas mileage, otherwise I really like this car. Please fill me in on any info you might have. Thanks alot
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    I have a 2006 Outlander LS (auto) with about 4200 miles on it. Mixed driving I get about 22 mpg. This includes delivering a newspaper route where I drive extremely slow and stop and go a great deal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    New owners, please let us know how your first tanks are going!
    Real-time 07 Outlander MPG Ratings

Name says it all. It's my real-time MPG ratings for my 07 Outlander. I drive 100%city most of the time, but there is a field that will tell you the city/highway ratio (approx only).WIll get updated for each full tank I make. By the way, you will need a google account to view. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How about a summary for those of us who don't want to sign up just to see your mpg tracking? Thanks. :shades:
    okay. yep i realized not everyone has a google account yet so here are the initial 2 full tank mileage i had. But for the rest of the future mileage report, they've have to take a peek at the link above.

13 gal - 200mi - 15.38mpg - 6.5km/L - 100%City - Still in break in
    13.74 gal - 247mi - 18mpg - 7.6km/L - 100%City - went past break-in mileage in this tank of gas.

At 18mpg just after break-in, I'd say it's better than I expected since the EPA ratings are 19/26, and these values are unrealistic in the real world.
  • pauld37pauld37 Member Posts: 14
    I live in the Philly area. My XLS, 2wd, is getting around 23.5 MPG for a 35 mile commute. The auto is 5 weeks new and has 2000 miles on it. Here is the breakdown I recorded this AM:

1st part - 1 miles - Lots of lights - Posted speed 25. avg spd 17.5; mpg 13.5
    2nd part - 4 miles - Less Lights, US 1 South. - Posted speed 45. avg speed 33; mpg 18.0
    3rd part - 12 miles - Congested highway, US 1 S & 76 West - Posted speed 55. avg speed 57; mpg 27.8
    4th part - 9 miles - highway, 476 S - Posted speed 55. avg speed 68; mpg 24.5
    5th part - 9 miles - lights, Rte 3 W - Posted 40/55. avg speed 48; mpg 24.2
  • clutchguy77clutchguy77 Member Posts: 25
    Any other new owners have any MPG info yet??
  • jod3jod3 Member Posts: 18
    Just filled up for the first time since I got the car. 280 miles and filled up 14.5 gallons, that is 19.3 mpg. On mostly local driving.
  • clutchguy77clutchguy77 Member Posts: 25
    By local driving do you mean highway or city??
  • evolanderevolander Member Posts: 7
    Hey RCPAX,regarding our fully loaded XLS AWD:

We get 18-19 MPG in traffic,stoplight to stoplight metro driving.

On the highway,again-metro,so some slow and go for us,we got 26 this weekend.

I like to drive fast sometimes,but other times I really try to get good mileage. Im a Mitsu diehard,my 91 AWD Eclipse I got 27mpg,I got 28 mpg out of my Evo,and we got 30 MPG from my Wife's Galant GTZ (2000). Im saying that because those are all above the ratings for those vehicles. I think I'll be able to get 32 from this Outlander given a good long highway drive.
    Mine is mostly 17-19, stop and go traffic. Most of the time I have to start from a dead cold engine, so I think that too lowers the mileage a little bit, from warming up the engine alone. Plus, per manual's suggestion, I don't really crank the engine up when leaving the garage at 6:30 am, just drive a little slow until the engine and the transaxle are all warmed up. The thing with my daily traffic route is that I don't really get to drive long stretches of road above 45mph before another stoplight. Well, I just have to live with that. In fact at 1700miles I don't think the engine is really all broken in that well, since I haven't got the chance to drive great distance in one go. And like what you said, it really takes some self control not to step heavy on the gas and drive aggressive. The handling is so nice it's just tempting to drive hard. That's why I always put the rheostat display to the real-time gas mileage to remind myself not to "play" all the time. Maybe I just watched too much WRC and Dakar :D
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Im a Mitsu diehard,my 91 AWD Eclipse I got 27 mpg ...

That was a great model - wonderful on mountain roads! I had the Eagle Talon version and got about the same mileage.

tidester, host
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Anybody with new 2007 outlander MPG results?
    With over 5000 miles (i.e. broken in)
  • pauld37pauld37 Member Posts: 14
    4700 miles; 60% city/40% highway I am getting 18 MPG. I live in Philadelphia, PA. I am guessing the ethanol in the gas mix is reducing the mileage somewhat.
  • xcellxcell Member Posts: 14
    6100 miles so far, It seems like MPG's are getting higher.

Hwy 25.2 MPG.. Around town 19.8. I have the XLS 4WD.
  • mitsudrivermitsudriver Member Posts: 12
    Yes ethanol makes a BIG BIG difference.
    I was using Sunoco gas because the station was close to my home. I notice a drop of 2-3 miles per gallon. I went back to Get-Go which is a local chain here in Pittsburgh and the MPG went right back up. Sunoco is the worse abuser of ethanol they use the max allowed. Sorry I can't give you much more detail about the mix, i use the lowest grade.
    I have a mixed drive in the AM which is early, no traffic and fairly flat but still some hills. If I use the Get-Go gas (89 grade) I can get 27.5 MPG driving at around 60 MPH for the most part. If I use Sunoco I'm lucky if I can get 24 MPG. Also I run 2 wheel drive only I tried all-wheel just to see if it would change and I lost about 1 to 1.5 MPG, which should be expected. I bought the XLS but I really wish I would have gotten it loaded, I like this suv alot, if I knew that I was going to like it this much I would have loaded it up with the sound, leather and nav.
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    I find that its a steady 12 litres per 100 km in mostly congested traffic (even on highway). It roughly translates to 20mpg. Ofcourse, for short distances, its worse than the above. The best I managed so far in less congested traffic was 9.6 ltrs/100 km - 24.7 mpg.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    12L/100Km is not bad. Based on the previous experiences with other cars, I would expect to average about 13L/100Km (city EPA estimate of 12.2L/100Km and add some more).
    But it also depends on how heavy your right foot is - mine is bit heavier.
    I spoke too soon. I had 14L/100KM today as I crawled thru 401. Sheesh..
    What I take in consideration is what I average on a tank. I always fill up the tank and reset the trip indicator. Usually it varies from tank to tank, but within a certain range.
    "Crawled" is the key word here. What do you expect? 400 was bad today too with all the snow on the road.
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I'm currently having too much fun driving to worry about fuel economy! :shades:
  • blackb13blackb13 Member Posts: 35
    Since I drive almost all city, I've been getting consistent 13.5mpg rating. It sucks, and that's me driving like a grandma...getting passed up by CTA buses.

Hopefully it'll go up as more mileage is put on the truck. Currently it has 2750.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    Something is wrong there. Mine averages 20mpg with mostly city driving, and I drive it fairly hard.

How many miles do you go on a full tank of fuel?
    Just filled up today. Got around 180 for the tank before I had to refill. I probably could've waited another 30 miles until it was on E.
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    wow...that sounds really low...almost like driving with a foot on the brake! I'm not even concerned with economy and I'm getting about 320 per fill up.
    How many gallons did you put in?
    Maybe you're driving it too slow, open it up and see what happens. I've got about 600 miles on mine now and I've been winding it out recently and still getting around 20mpg, got 25 on the trip home from work tonight.

What's it get when you do highway-only trips?
    "Highway-only trips"

LOL, I live near downtown Chicago...I don't know what a "highway-only" trip is. Unless you count sitting on the expressway for 45min averaging 5mph. :)

Once I take a highway trip, I'll post my results
    I got 370 km out of 47 litres. So converting it into mpg gives around 18.5 mpg. Most of this is "highway driving" within city.

It supposedly is based on Lancer platform. But it must be heavy... Not too thrilled about mpg. Gotta move closer to work or find work closer to me.
    This is 12.7 L/100 km. For real world driving, this is not too bad IMO. It might get better after the brake in period. Commuting on 401 is not really highway driving but more like congested city driving. Is this driving on 2WD or 4WD mode?
    I try to keep it mostly on 2WD. 4WD only if there is significant snow in the backroads.
    I read on another forum that there shouldn't be much of a difference in gas mileage between 2WD and 4WD mode on the vehicles with 4WD system.
  • mwbinutahmwbinutah Member Posts: 5
    the Outlander owner's manual only mentions reduced mileage for the 4WD lock setting. I think driving in 4WD auto there is not any power to the rear wheels unless wheel slippage is occuring; therefore driving on dry pavement is pretty much the same as driving in 2WD. Obviously there is some loss of efficiency occuring between the 2WD only models and the 4WD models. I assume this is because there is a driveshaft going back to the rear differential which is always spinning- it only engages when slippage occurs but I guess just the energy of spinning that driveshaft aimlessly to the rear differential eats up some efficiency. Can anyone confirm my assumptions, and also explain what 4WD lock actually does?
  • jski1jski1 Member Posts: 5
    There are 3 settings, FWD all the time, 2 wheel with auto (if slipping occurs AWD kicks in) and AWD lock. In the first two modes, they should drive the same mileage wise, only the AWD locks should technically change mileage ratings. I apologize if I am incorrect on this.
    I think driving in 4WD auto there is not any power to the rear wheels unless wheel slippage is occurring.

This is not correct. In 4WD Auto mode, up to 40% of the torque goes to the rear. On dry pavement, up to 15% goes to the rear, REGARDLESS of slippage. Under certain circumstances, like hard acceleration, more torque is sent to the rear.
    4WD Lock sends 50% more torque to the rear compared to 4WD Auto, which means up to 60% could be sent to the rear.
    2WD is plain FWD.

See link below which explains exactly, by Mitsubishi, how the 4WD in the 2007 Outlander works.
    2007 Outlander 4WD System Explained
    I ran a full tank in 4WD Auto and just got 300 miles on 14.8 gallons. Mixed city and highway miles. That's the most miles yet for me out of a tank.

The 4WD versions have a smaller tank than the 2WD, so total mileage out of a tank gets a little tricky to compare.

Interesting that the fuel warning starts blinking faster as you get closer to empty.
    The 4WD versions have a smaller tank than the 2WD, so total mileage out of a tank gets a little tricky to compare.

You compare MPG which does not depend on the tank size.
    You've got people who say they're getting 30mpg but don't say how they calculated it. Based on the computer? How many miles they travelled on a tank? If all of the tanks were the same size it would make it easier. 30mpg? You had better have gone more than 450 miles on the tank.
    My observation is that the average mileage displayed by the computer is per trip, but I will have to check the manual. In this case it is not relevant for the real world consumption.
    The way to calculate the "Real World" MPG would be to divide the miles driven over the numbers of gallons used. You fill up the tank, reset the trip computer and drive. At the next fill up, check how many miles you drove. Very simple.
    In your case, you drove 300 miles on 14.8 gallons so you got 20.27 MPG.
    My observation is that the average mileage displayed by the computer is per trip, but I will have to check the manual.

That's per "session". When you turn on your car for your first trip of the day, it will do the math for that "session" of use. When you turn off the ignition, it will remember those mileage math for that session and hold it for 4 hours in its computer since the vehicle was last turned off. After 4 hours (or more) have lapsed, and you start using the vehicle again, it will count that as a new session and redo all mileage math.
    Thanks for the explanation. You saved me some time. Yeah, for me, most of the time is another "session" because I leave it parked more then 4 hours most of the times (home-office, office-home).
    So far I'm happy with the mileage - low 12' L/100km and it's still new and cold weather. I'm sure it will improve within a year or so.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    13.4 gallons on fillup.

17.4 MPG

Mostly city driving.