Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Real World MPG

Comments

• mitsudrivermitsudriver Member Posts: 12
    Wow!!!
    Thank you for the link on the all wheel drive system.
    I went thru the manual front to back and front again and I was very disappointed with the explanation of the system.
    I looked on Mitsu site but I must have missed this one.
    Thanks again. :)
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Second tank of gas

300 miles (533 total miles)

13.3 gallon

22.56 MPG

1/2 city, 1/2 Interstate.
    Gas was going up all over town so I pulled in a station that had not gone up to top off.

130 miles
    6.5 gallons
    20 MPG
    mostly city driving.
    Total 663 miles so far.
    total 33.2 gallons
    19.96 MPG
  • rmj1rmj1 Member Posts: 9
    So if you are getting about 20.2 miles to a U.S. Gallon it would work out to about 24.3 miles to an imperial Gallon which is pretty darn good when I am used to driving a old Grand Cherokee with a 4 litre 6 banger. Things are looking better for the justification end of things! (and I don't even have to fudge the numbers) ;)
    298 miles
    13.6 gallons
    21.9 MPG this tank
    1/3 Interstate
    2/3 City Driving
    Total 961 miles so Far
    Total 46.8 Gallons
    20.5 MPG
    Gas was jumping up 20 cents all over so I topped off.
    173 miles
    8.3 gallons
    20.8 MPH
    3/4 city driving
    Total 1134 miles
    55.1 gallons
    20.6 MPH
    301 miles
    14.4 gallons
    20.9 MPH
    mixed driving-2/3 city driving
    Total 1435 miles
    69.5 gallons
    20.6 MPH
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    My computer has been consistently reading 21-22 MPG. I only have about 250 miles and haven't filled it up yet so I don't know the actual. Too bad the computer doesn't save mileage after the four hour memory to give you a long term average.

The little mpg bar graph thingy kind of encourages me to drive with a light foot to see how high of mileage I can get.

The Mercury Villager we traded for the Outlander got 17-18 Mpg so if we can beat that by 5 MPG or so I'll be happy.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    I just drive. I find that my XLS goes into 6th gear (just pull the paddle shifter and it will tell you the gear) about 35 to 37 MPH. So I get there steadily.
  • jowettjowett Member Posts: 12
    1st tank...
    This tank possibly innacurate due dealer filled.
    To first fill 11.30 L/100 kms OR 25 mpg Imperial OR 20.81 mpg US. About 50 per cent hwy 50 per cent urban.

2nd tank
    8.48 L/100kms OR 33.31 mpg Imperial OR 27.737 mpg US.
    95 per cent Hwy 5 per cent other.

The lowest I was showing per the computer average was 8L/100kms OR 35.31 mpg Imperial OR 29.40 mpg US.

All this with a light foot. highway speed 90-110 kms/hour
  • solowalkersolowalker Member Posts: 118
    from sea level up to 9,000' in Colorado... I used a simple miles/gallon calculation...I drove my XLS in mostly 4WD auto mode and I had approx. 500 lbs. of passenger and luggage aboard..90% was Interstate type driving..I got 25.8 MPG overall.. :)
  • archquarkarchquark Member Posts: 14
    Our 2007 XLS 4 wheel Drive in 2 wheel drive mode got 25.7 and 30 miles per gallon on first two tanks. This was 90% highway driving some 401 and Highway 2. Much better than our son's Jeep Liberty which gets 19 - 21 when we use it on occasion. I will let you know what next tank gets as most of the driving has been short trips into Cobourg approximately 20 kms return to our home.
    We had 451.2 kilometers on tripometer when we filled up. Tank took 48.72 litres or 10.8 l/100kms. This converts to 26.16 MPG using imperial gallon ( =4.54 litres per gallon as compared to U.S. gallon = 3.785 litres ). Mostly short trips to Cobourg Ontario ( 10 kms one way ) and around town driving.The first three tanks got 25.7,30 and 26.16 MPG. First two tanks were 401 and Highway 2 driving.
    Just a couple of questions for those north of the border:
    Does your gasoline have 15% corn ethanol?
    Second question: Do you have a requirement that your gasoline be reformulated?

I ask those questions because your gas mileage is remarkably better than here in St Louis Missouri where we have reformulated gas with 15% ethanol.

I have found that on my previous car, that I got 10 to 15% better gas mileage when I traveled and bought gas away from St. Louis. I have not been on a highway trip with my Outlander yet.
  • jowettjowett Member Posts: 12
    I believe each Province is different.Ontario is the only Province that I know of that has mandated Ethanol in gasoline and that is for 5 per cent effective this year.
    In B.C. where i reside I don't believe there are any current regulations on this.

Last year when I drove across the U.S.(in a different vehicle of course) I also noted a discernible difference in mpg when using gasoline containing ethanol.
    Ethanol may be mandated as Jowett stated. However the station (Ultramar)that I use in Port Hope does not state that on their pumps. I can only assume that they do use ethanol mixture as of today.
    Sorry I meant to say "they do not use" ethanol mixture as of June 4,2007.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just for an fyi, you may edit your post for 30 minutes after posting.
    Thanks Steve I will remember that next time. Wife just input kilometers travelled and litres per 4th fillup into Excel chart and our 2007 Outlander XLS in 2 wheel drive mode converted to 27.85 MPG. ( Imperial gallons ). First 4 fillups were :
    25.7 MPG
    30 MPG
    26.16 MPG
    27.85 MPG
    I and the wife are happy with this as vehicle is rated for 33 MPG highway on Fuel Consumption Rating list online on Natural Resources Canada site oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings

Fuel Consumption Ratings – Vehicle Details

Fuel consumption ratings are also available in the "Fuel Consumption Guide".

Back to results
    Vehicle: MITSUBISHI - OUTLANDER 4X4
    Vehicle Specifications
    Class: Special purpose
    Year: 2007
    Engine: 3.0L
    Cylinders: 6
    Fuel: Regular
    Transmission, # of gears,
    overdrive: Automatic with a manual mode 6 gears with electronic overdrive
    Seating capacity: N/A
    # of doors: N/A
    Cargo volume: N/A
    Interior volume: N/A
    Drive system:

Fuel Consumption
    City: City 12.2 L/100 km (23 mi./gal.)
    Hwy: Hwy 8.5 L/100 km (33 mi./gal.)
    Annual Fuel Cost: $1890
    Annual Fuel Use: 2100 L/yr (462 gal./yr)
    Annual CO2 emissions: 5040 kg/yr
    I need to get some of that gas.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I need to get some of that gas.

Archquark did mention those were imperial gallons so the miles per gallon will be a little higher than when using U.S. Gallons. Basically, divide miles per imperial by 1.2 to get miles per U.S. gallon.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    OK but that stil makes the MPH very good.
    Just filled up on fifth tank since buying XLS 4 wheel drive on 5/24/07. Total kilometers is 2127, odometer read 466 kilometers and it took 45.76 litres to top up. This converts to 9.82l/100km or 28.77 MPG (Imperial)or 23.975 MPG ( U.S. Gallon ). All driving was in 2 wheel Drive and 50% highway (401 at 100 kilometers per hour(62.5 MPH)to 130 kilometers per hour(80.5 MPH) ) and 50% Highway 2 ( 80 kilometers or 50 MPH ).
  • sligoladsligolad Member Posts: 5
    2007 Outlander XLS 2WD with all the goodies. 800 miles. 70/30 Highway/City mix. Average 65 MPH highway.
    24.4 MPG.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    SLIGOLAD....are those US Gallons?
    Yes US gallons.
    Two fill ups so far..... 23.5 on the first tank, 21.5 on the second. 2007 LS 4WD. Mostly city/suburban. A little more highway on the first tank. I'm not dissapointed at all.
    Ok. First 2000 miles. Manual reading has not been reset since I got the car. Average speed 38 MPH. Average MPG 25.2 US gallons. Light foot. Try to go no faster than 65 miles per hour on the highway. 70 percent highway, 30 percent suburban (sitting at red lights is such a gas waster).
    I'm very pleased. The 2007 Outlander XLS 2WD with all the toys is a joy to drive. My Ford explorer Sport Trac under the same circumstances used to average around 18 MPG.
    The MPG reading in the dash resets every 4 hours. There's no way to keep it from resetting is there? It would be nice if there was.
    Hi toomanyfumes. I don't know. I have the NAV system which
    displays the automatic (reset after 4 hours of inactivity), and the manual which will keep on compiling statistics until you decide to reset.
    To Houston Texas and back to St Louis. Mixed Interstate and State Routes, about 40 miles of city driving.
    Roundtrip 1685 miles with 66.1 gallons of gas = 25.49 MPG. Started with 2646 miles on odometer, finished with 4331.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    I was just looking at the EPA estimates for the 2007 Outlander figures CONVERTED to 2008 standards and the HWY should be 23 mpg (?!) Your car must be broken LOL :)
    I bet you did not use the A/C in Texas either. :)
    I was traveling home on the Interstate the other night and was watching the MPG meter climb higher and higher. I slowed down to about 60 and kept a steady foot on the accelerator.

By the time I reached my exit it read 29.5 MPG! I was tempted to keep driving to see if I could hit 30.

2007 LS AWD
    That is great mileage for American gallon of gas. We have gotten the following on our 13 tank fillups so far. These are all Imperial gallons. ( 4.54 litres per gallon ).
    Average is 27.50 MPG. Most of the driving is between ( 80 kilometers )50 miles per hour and (115 Kilometers )75 miles per hour. :)
    I had the AC on the full trip and on interstate stretches was between 70 to 75 MPH. If I had driven between 60 to 65 MPH the mileage would be closer to 27. But I went with the flow. I haven't babied this car at all since 300 miles.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    With 4300 miles on mine, I get around 21-22 mpg on suburban/city highways traffic (without babying) and around 26 mpg on highway trips (60-80 mph with smooth driving). My worst tank was about 19 mpg, but this was when the car was fairly new and I was still testing its abilities (acceleration, breaking, on ramp, highway merging and passing power, etc).
    So far I'm very pleased with the fuel economy of my car. I also realized how gas consumption varies with the weather conditions and driving habits. I keep my information display on the fuel economy screen and monitor its reading as I drive along. I don’t have to drive slowly to conserve gas, but it’s important to drive smoothly. Push the gas a bit harder, break, hit the gas again and watch you fuel economy going downhill. Wind, outside temperature, load are other significant factors as well.
  • shoorty911shoorty911 Member Posts: 2
    07 Outlander ES 2wd averged about 18mpg for the first 2000 miles with mixed highway/city. At about 2500 miles took a 450 mile one-way trip avgeraged about 21-22mpg with cruising speeds at 95mph and 100-105 passing (pedal on the floor). Cruising at 73mph (and being good..hehe) avg about 23-24mpg. You're really not hurting mpg when passing at highway speeds when you have it on the floor. Having a lead foot only hurts it in city driving.
    That's about what I'm seeing. Between 21-23 mpg in mixed city/suburban with a little highway. I also can get 26 on freeway trips.

Shoorty, you're a leadfoot! BTW,anyone know the top speed on these things? I'm assuming they're speed limited. Just curious, I'll probably never go that fast unless I take another trip out west. :)
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    You're really not hurting mpg when passing at highway speeds when you have it on the floor. Having a lead foot only hurts it in city driving.

Manual says any speed above 60mph will hurt your mileage, if I remember it right the sweet spot is about 55mph.
    Flooring it at any speed has to hurt your mileage.
  • shoorty911shoorty911 Member Posts: 2
    not really....flooring it at high speeds i.e passing ....like cruising at 65-70 and gunning it up to 90 really doesnt knock it all that much....cuz you're already moving at a fast pace and have momentum....but when you are at slower speeds.....speed/gas usage ratio is different......i also have an 01 montero sport with the 3.0 and it doesnt matter if im flooring 60% of the time or driving "normal"....i CONSTANTLY get 20-21mpg....about 320-340 miles per tank...
    I think you forgot to factor "wind resistance" in your little equation there.
  • imetalimetal Member Posts: 4
    Leaning toward an FWD XLS with the expectation of somewhat higher mpg, due to the 4WD's added weight and complexity, even if only using it in FWD mode. Is this a reasonable assumption? Or is it likely the difference is extremely small?
    You know what, I don't think you'd see the difference with day to day driving in the real world. 4WD gives you the option to take your ride to an occasional trip to the woods on unpaved road. And you have the option for a better handling on Snow, ice and heavy rains with a 4WD. The sneaky dealer tried to give me a 2WD when we agreed on a 4WD, but I refused it, and got a 4WD a week after. You can always switch a 4WD to 2WD using a knob behind the shifter, and you can shift back and forth from 2WD to 4WD at any speed. I still drive 2WD most of the time on dry roads. Good luck on your purchase.
    The difference in the Mpg rating is only 1 MPG. Probably due to the added weight of the transfer case and axles. Maybe a little extra drag from the rear axles, also?

It is a cool 4WD system, nice to be able to shift from 2WD to 4WD. I wouldn't buy one without it living in Wisconsin.

Just checked the mileage with a tank only my wife drove the car. 20.5 MPG. I've been getting 21-23 MPG. She does more city driving, but she must have a heavier foot, also.
  • profitmarkprofitmark Member Posts: 1
    Just passed 5K in an XLS 4WD. Calculated mileage at every fuel fill. Mileage ranges 23.7 to 25.4 mpg (US). 60/40 highway city. I drive pretty hard. Turnpikes 75 to 85 mph. Try not to jackrabbit start but pass often in city. Drives great and has exceeded initial observations. Other vehicles in garage Acura, Benz, and Jag. Easily beats others in class I have driven.
    Just drove 2496 miles the last 13 days. 26.5 MPG. Muc of the trip was driving at 70 MPH.
    The end of trip registered 8005 miles. I think its broke in.
  • smily157smily157 Member Posts: 14
    I just took a 400 mile trip in my 07 XLS 4WD (it now has 2,000 miles on it). It was highway all the way, 65mph speed limit for most of it, except for construction areas, and I averaged 25mpg doing 80-85mph most of the way, which is pretty damn good as far as I am concerned. I found the best speed to maximize gas mileage to be 60mph, you can easily achieve 26-28mpg driving carefully at 60mph. Driving in City is another story. I tend to have a heavy foot, but I try to be slower when I think about it to maximize my gas mileage, but lets face it, slow is not fun! I want to utilize those 220 horses!! But I usually average about 20mpg in the city, but luckily I do about 30% city and 70% highway, so I usually average about 24mpg combined (keep in mind that I always leave mine in Auto 4WD) which is still better than my previous car, an '01 taurus which was rated at 20-29 and I got 19mpg, so there are no complaints from me!
    Driving around 60 MPH I achieved 27+ MPG on one tank of gas on this trip
    Just curious, why would you leave it in 4WD Auto? Is there any difference on dry roads? I only use mine in rain or of course when it snows this winter.