Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Suspension and Ride

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    I guess I got what I paid for; '07 Silverado Ext Cab W/T for less than 18k. It's bouncy but nothing like the Tundra. When I can't take it any longer I'll be getting beter shocks and tires. I also noticed that my previous truck, a '95 reg. cab W/T had four leaf springs. This '07 only has three. BTW, Thanks for attaching the clip. What about Dodge?
    Did you know on the 99-03 1500s had only two leaf springs?

Not sure on the Dodges as the only experience I've had are a couple of rentals and the only thing I remember was the dismal gas mileage. Course that couldve improved by now.

One thing interesting that I noticed was that I test drove all the trucks before buying my last one. The silverado/sierra had the best ride of them all. Unfortunately couldnt come to an agreement with the dealers on pricing forcing me to buy something else. Course one of the items on the table was that the dealer replace those crappy Generals before I would take delivery.
  • thor2074thor2074 Member Posts: 6
    I asked the dealer if they would replace the tires and wheels with the 20's, and they said no.

I should have walked away.
    I never thought of negotiating tires. I was too much into haggling the price. I wonder if I could trade-in these tires for a set of Michelins? They have 4000 miles on them.
    I had an '00 Silverado ext. cab that I bought new but didn't keep it long. GM bought it back under the Lemon Law. The "vibration problem".
    a vibration problem. We had gone through 3 sets of General tires with the last set losing chuncks of rubber as I drove. General had agreed to replace sets of 4 at a time with shipping costs ($270) exceeding the value of the tires ($25 ea. wholesale).

When the fourth set shipped I asked the service manager if it would be possible to replace them with Michelins. He asked the zone rep and got approval with me paying the difference (wholesale). Thats when I found out the value of the General tires as it cost me close to $400 to do the swap.

When the service advisor was rolling the Generals then the Michelins around the shop he had commented the the Generals weighed less than half of the Michelins and when pressing down on the Generals there was a great amount of flex in the sidewalls.

BTW, the vibration problem was solved with a TSB issued by the general to replace the rack and pinion and welding part of the rack to the frame for additional support. Lo and behold the vibrations were gone.

You might get a little bit for those Generals at a Michelin dealership or try to sell them on your own. Regardless they are not worth much even as new. I saw my equivalent on sale at tirerack.com for $35 each. That wasn't funny. Course with the Chinese driving up oil costs, tire costs have risen though the quality hasn't. You could check tirerack and see what they are worth.
    I took the '00 Silverado ext. cab that I had with the vibration in for repair attempts eight different times to different dealers. The first thing they all did was balance the tires. Finally they replaced one tire (Goodyear Wrangler) that failed a load force test. That made no difference, They even replaced the drive shafts. By then it was too late. I called a lemon law lawyer in Chicago and a few months later no more vibration and no more truck. The '07 ext. cab W/T I have now has a vibration that I can feel in the gas pedal and and steering wheel when I gradually accelerate. There is also a "shudder" I can feel when it shifts at around 45mph. Is an internet site where I can find out if this is a common problem or a TSB? Thanks
    You can check here:

TSB/Recall
    obyone, I couldn't find anything there about the steering wheel vibration. I took the truck to the dealer and explained the problem. Just like I thought they didn't even test drive it, just handed me a GM bulletin about something called a ECCC. To make it short, the said it was normal. The steering wheel and gas pedal vibrates when the truck shifts at 45mph. If you want I could email you a copy of the bulletin, it's all mumbo jumbo to me.
    My email address is in my profile.
  • b_radc80b_radc80 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 1500 Z71 crew cab Silverado (new body style). I love the truck and the smooth ride but I hate the low front end look. I want the truck to look more "beefy" but keep that smooth ride and without getting a whole suspension lift, I heard their too stiff. I've been looking at leveling kits and was wondering if anyone had suggestions which are the most durable but keep that smooth stock ride. SOMEONE HELP! I see alot of '07's around town and I want to stand out "above" the crowd. THANKS!
  • shiftless1shiftless1 Member Posts: 9
    I was very surprised when the right rear spring shackle broke from corrosion. Granted I live in New Hampshire but (7) years and (50,000) miles to have thick steel stamping rust completely through is un-believable. It's obvious the steel is below the basic low-carbon junk variety.

Has anyone on the forum had the same problem?

I have had good luck and performance from this 4wd, 2K, Sierra - but I could not justify purchasing another GM product knowing their poor quality on these safety issues.
    Ed
  • lilcorkylilcorky Member Posts: 6
    Just put a level kit in the front of 2004 2500HD Siverado. Lots of noise like thumping and rattling comming from the front now. Ride is not so bad. The bumper on the low a-arm is about 2 3/4 inches away from arm. From factory it touches the arm. Had it re-alinged. Drives fine just lots of noise. Anyone have this problem when they leveled their rig?
    Sounds like a bad install or a defective kit. There shouldn't be any thumping or rattling from installing a leveling kit.
  • lilcorkylilcorky Member Posts: 6
    Your right and I found out today what the problem was. While working on rattles and sqeeks I decided the shock was the problem. I took it back to the shop were the levling kit was installed and they put it on the hoist and found out they hadn't tightened the lower shock bolt. Voila it is whisper quiet and rides very good. I'm aware of the a-arm issues. Time will tell I guess. Thanks for your reply.
  • cliftycowboycliftycowboy Member Posts: 1
    i was woundering if lifting your torsionbars will hurt the ride of your truck
    That's a big 10-4.
  • earachemyeyeearachemyeye Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I've been thinking of leveling the front end of my truck. Has anyone done it on a new body style silverado Z71 4x4? Did you crank the torsion bars or use a leveling kit? Thanks
  • durabrokedurabroke Member Posts: 2
    You do have the heavy duty 1500. Also, the reason for the back to be higher is gas milage and no you should not remove the blocks as this could change your drive shaft angle which could cause vibration under hard acceleration. And as far as torking down your torsion bars, thi will not stiffen the ride much at all but if you go to high, the upper control arms will hit the bumstops. good luck
  • gkitegkite Member Posts: 11
    I have an 03 Crewcab 1500HD 4x4 which when purchased had the tortion bars cranked up to level the truck out and to accomedate 295x75x16" tires, rides rough. I was told that Off Road Unlimited sells a leveling kit that replaces the armature that the tortion bar fit in. It changes the pitch so that you can have the hight but gives you back the travel so that it smoothes out the ride. Is this so, does this work or are they just trying to make a sale.
  • silverhuntersilverhunter Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04 solverado w/ 80k miles.
    I am getting a hum/vibration above 30 mph when I turn to the right. I believe the left front bearing is about to fail.
    How do I know it is the left or right side and how tough a job is it? Are special tools that GM is so famous fro required?
  • ghgeoghgeo Member Posts: 2
    My 06 silverado 1500 w/ 35k also makes a noise and vibration when turning to the right at speed between 35 and 55 mph. I have not heard the noise when turn left or at low speeds. I also experimented in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, but could not hear a difference in the noise. I finally got the dealer to hear the same noise on a test drive today and will let you know what they find once I get the car back. I did have the right front wheel bearing go out on me at 27k, but fortunately it was repaired under warranty.
  • ghgeoghgeo Member Posts: 2
    My dealer confirmed that the noise when turning right was the left front wheel hub assembly bearing.
  • silverhuntersilverhunter Member Posts: 9
    thanks for the response.

I talked to the dealer and they said right off the bat it was the bearing.

They said the part was $408 new and about $300 after market.

$95 for labor.

I am looking online for the part and I will do it myself.
  • jsponaglejsponagle Member Posts: 2
    Are there suspension systems out there where I can lower my Truck for the street nights....and raise it up a bit for the off-road days?......all in one package.
  • jsponaglejsponagle Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 Chev. Step-side 4x4, 5.7L, where can I pickup a good functional Ram- air hood? Will it direct air into my stock breather housing? Can I use this hood on rainy or snowy days....my truck is a 365 day/year ....not a yard ornament.
  • country_boycountry_boy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 00 Sierra 1500 ext cab. I am thinking to put a 3in body lift, add a leaf, and torsion keys. I would like to know if i would need aftermarket shocks and if so what would you recomend?
    Bilstein
  • budster95budster95 Member Posts: 2
    what is better...... i have a 1988 1500 sierra long box, and want to put a camper on it, the camper is older and weighs about 800 lbs, our vehicle weighs about 6000 lbs. we do not know what the gvwr for our truck is, as it was removed from the door, if someone else has a truck like ours, could you let us know what it is...we want to know if we should put 1 or 2 leaves as we already have 4 on each side, or should we go with the air bags?
  • rich107rich107 Member Posts: 4
    hi all my new 2007 4x4 1500 chevy has some what of arought ride...compared to my 1990 chevy standard cab p/u.would that be normal? i has 35 lbs air preasure in the tires...its fine on a smooth road...steers perfect..small bummpy road and its a rought ride...unhlike my old 1990 chevy standard cab p/u..maybe i need a new softer tire...or will i always get a little rought ride? tks all........
    GM has been known to install the cheapest tire and shocks cause these are things that you don't notice. Also it takes some time for the springs and suspension to break in though not much. What I suggest is that changing your tires and shocks will give you a substantially better ride then again you need to figure if its worth it on a new truck.

Because I'm picky about tires and stuff, I've changed mine out when the truck had less than 3K miles and sold them to a worker who had the same model but much higher mileage. I agree with you when I test drove the 2wd it had a substantially better ride than the 4wd.
  • bill173bill173 Member Posts: 1
    The above is my Wife's vehicle. I drove it the other day and when driving over anything - such as a speed bump - the vehicle does the "bouncy bouncy bouncy" thing that's associated with blown shocks (even at slow speeds).

Took it to the dealership's service department and they said "it's just the nature of the '06" and that "there's nothing wrong with the suspension".

I say nonsense and went to the General Manager of the dealership - who got the Service manager to ride with me - he sort of agreed with the service foreman but said they'd keep the truck and check it out further.

I know there's something wrong and not just "something inherent with that year".

Anyone else had problems similiar ? Thanks - Bill
  • walleditionwalledition Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 chevy stepside, regular cab, and i have 20"`s on it, it drives kind of bad, the rear shakes a lot when i drive at 60-70 miles, any good shocks u could recommend me???

thanx
    Bilstein HD
  • walleditionwalledition Member Posts: 2
    so they will fix my problem? has anyone else had that problem? i have 1 2004 and 1 2005 of thoese trucks and they have that problem, is it because the bed is so light?
    You asked for a good shock. I answered Bilstein HD. As far as your problems it seems that it started with the installation of those 20s. Tried rotating the tires front to back to see if the problem moves to the front? Vibrations are usually caused by tire balancing. Have you tried having it done by a load variance balancer?

If you look at your rear spring pack do you have two leafs? That in itself could be an issue. But I'd go back to the rims for vibrations.
  • herlemanherleman Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here and trying to find infor. I used search and got no definitive response.

My 2005 C1500 regular cab V6 5 spd has what sounds like a shock absorber rattle in the left front suspension. It started at about 28K miles and at 29K it is getting progressively worse. I've inspected everything and find nothing suspicious looking.

I'm told that ther is a TSB on a shock absorber bushing that corrects a shock misalignment issue. I'm told that replacing the shock will not help.

Can anyone direct me to the proper TSB or offer other advice. I'm getting worried that something critical is about to break.

Thanks
  • bossman50bossman50 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same issue. bouncy front end and a "clunk" on rt frt when hitting the smallest of bumps. have replaced tires and shocks, all factory. what did you find?
  • phazen93phazen93 Member Posts: 1
    did you get rid of the clunk? I am curious since I am having the same thing on a 2000 silverado 4.8 litre 2wd.
  • bossman50bossman50 Member Posts: 2
    not yet. it happens on bumps. sounds like control arm or shock mounts. cant imagine this being normal. let me know what you find
  • gkitegkite Member Posts: 11
    Check out the intermediet shaft on the steering column. I have a Chevy 1500HD and I have replaced mine 2 times, getting ready to replace again. Supposably they have finaly redesigned it, and it's not supposed to fail. It is a known problem, check with GM.
    Bump Clunk bump clunk...replace the intermediate steering shaft with part no. 19153614. Part updated 3/07. Simply amazing took GM only 8 years to revise the part affecting millions of trucks.
  • silverado08z71silverado08z71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado z71 4x4 with a 1.5'' leveling kit, but it's not completely leveled out perfectly. Could I raise my torsion keys up an inch to make it completely leveled out or is that not possible?
  • ntsmith69ntsmith69 Member Posts: 5
    does the spindle and drive axle.tie rod, have to removed to gain acces to remove the lower ball joint. and it says that these are pressed in. but looking at the top of it there is no way it can be pressed down. it still has the factory joint. are they rivited on and thats why i can not break the seal. lol i beat on it with a pickle fork but didnt budge.

the upper and lower ones i bought look like ford ones and are a pressed in type, with a snap ring on the top. but the ones on the truck have a large cap and looks like i rivited on or a replacement one would bolt on.
  • ntsmith69ntsmith69 Member Posts: 5
  • jcraft05jcraft05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I crawled under my 2000 Silverado 2500 Ext. 8 Ft bed yesterday to change my shocks. Starting at the rear drivers side I noticed that the bracket that attaches the shock to the frame was broken. The bracket looks to be rusted and Im sure most of the rust is from the truck spending alot of its life up north. Upon futher inspection all other shock brackets look fine its just the drivers side rear top bracket that attaches to the frame. The million $ question is will I have to fab a new bracket or is there a place to buy this.
  • pz82pz82 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 09 chevy 2500HD and just put a plow on it. I want to make sure the plow mount doesn't hit the curbs when plowing. Is it best to add a leveling kit or can I crank up the torsion bars? How hard is either option to do?

Thanks
    Cranking the torsion bars are definitely the more economical way to go. Course you may not care for how the truck rides and handles after doing so. Make sure you have the truck aligned if you choose this option.
  • free12free12 Member Posts: 3
  • free12free12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 silverado 4x4, 5.3, LS, extended cab, shift buttons on the dash. When I get up to speed on the highway 50+, the truck makes alot of noise, similar to tire noise. Changed tires, now have MIch. Cross Terrans on it, still have the noise, turn the wheel some to the right, noise goes away, changed the wheel bearing, still have the noise, have been told it could possibly be in the rack or power steering pump. I feel this in the wheel as well. The person who told me about the ps pump told me to change out the fluid in the pump and put in the lucas oil ps fluid and then top it off with new fluid recommended by gm and drive it. Said it should stop it. Help?
This discussion has been closed.