Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager Tires & Wheels

Comments

• garycoxgarycox Member Posts: 59
    That's a good point in the right direction. I'm not sure how rotors effect it while not braking? However, they have been turned 3 times already and are known to have issues. I'm also getting, on occasion, a whobbling noise coming from the right front. The dealer looked at it and put a "non directional finish" on the rotor and it seemed to help for a while but it has come back. It's hard to tell, it doesn't do it all the time and of course, only occurs when braking, seems to be during light braking...

... Gary
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I had the same reaction as you did regarding the rotors. All I know is since we put new rear rotors (and a month ago, fornt rotors), the van has been driving smooth. I do have another issue that may be caused because the mechanic forgot to bleed the coolant when he changed it.

Also my first impression of the Hankook Optimo H418 tires (235/60-16) are very good. they seem quieter than the OEM goodyears. but time will tell.
  • sgunnsgunn Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know anything good or bad about Falken ZE 512 tires? These are the only brand that one of the places I called this morning have in stock for all 4 tires on my 2004 Quest. They are 235-60-16 which from what I read, will be a fine replacement for the original tires installed on this van. Any comments? The price to have them installed and have the wheels alligned will be about $540. Thanks!
  • holladrholladr Member Posts: 2
    Soory it took so long to send an updated report. Wife returned from a 1500+ mile trip about 3 weeks ago. Had no problems with the Kumho tires. I thought that since the diameter of the Kumho tires were about 1/2" less than the OEM's, the van would 'bottom' out. She has not mentioned anything about 'bottoming' out. I have driven the van on a couple of occasions since replacing the tires & find no difference between the OEM's & the Kumho 235/60/R16 tires. Thanks to ya'll for suggesting the 235/60/R16 replacement tires. Another thing is that Costco said they would not normally replace the OEM's with the 235/60/R16's, but since I have them already on the van, they would go ahead & put the 235/60/R16's on the next time I need repalcement tires.
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    I personally don't like Falken tires based on my past experiences. They tend to be making more noise on the road, but other than that they seemed ok. For about the same amount of money, I would go for Yokohama, which I repleced with mine about 1200 miles ago and I can tell you it's a heck lot better than the OEM tires. They ride quieter and handle better.
    I think Falken is pretty highly rated by Consumer Report. Also check Tire Rack for reviews.
    The only problem is that 235/60/16 isn't a manufacturer recommended size so handling may be different and it could effect the speedometer calibration.

Some seem to have reported success in using other sizes. With all the problems I've had I've opted to stick with manufacturer recommendations in hopes of trying to get everything working under warranty so there is nothing to blame as to the problem.

Having said that, even after replacing my Goodyear 225/65/16 with new ones of the same I'm still having steering and braking problems... It's back in the shop again with no estimate of when I might get it back.

They also tried to tell me it was over 36,000 so it wasn't under warranty and that the computer also indicated that it was not under warranty. I whipped out my letter from Nissan which indicated it was under 60,000 extended base warranty.

... Gary
  • eddiers71eddiers71 Member Posts: 2
    I got Dunlop SP Sport HR4 Tires of 235/60/16 at Mavis Discount Tire, and they cost $495 with installation. So far they are working OK, but I am wondering whether they are actually good tires for Quest04. Also I could not find any information regarding these tires, and only information I could got was Dunlop Sp Sport A2 plus. Does anyone have experience?
    Come to find out, after 5 months of talking with people at Nissan someone at Nissan headquarters said 235/60/16 would be fine for a 225/65/16 replacement. I wish they would publish that information somewhere so there would be no question of a warranty issue... Gary
    I am very surprised to hear that someone affiliated with Nissan would suggest a different size. Generally they are instructed to recommend OEM. The parts guy at my dealership would not recommend anythign other than 225/65-16 but he did say I should talk to tire shop about alternate sizes. Every tire shop said 235/60 is the best subsitute to retain the original driving traits of the minivan.
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    For tire size : X/Y-Z
    X - tire width in milimeters
    y - the percent of the sitewall of the width X
    Z - rim diameter

So, to calculate the real diameter of the tire, would be this
    RealDiameter = Z + X * ( Y : 100)
    and this will get how many inches(Z) + how many milimeters is your tire.

Now, when you are staying with same rim size(16inch), then you need to know how many milimeters was the sidewall(rubber) of the original tire and replacment tire. I think if it stays within 5mm then it can be called 0+ size.
    So,
    OrigSideWall = 225*65% = 146.25
    NewSideWall = 235*60% = 141

So the difference is 5.25mm which should be OK I guess.

This could be extended to count how much difference you would get on your odometer say per 1000miles.
    May be next time:)

When I replaced my wifes 97 Quest original tires 205/75-15 with 215/70-15 I noticed on the long distance my trip odometer was showing different number. So I started calculating the circumference of the tires and the difference beetween them multiplied by number of rotation I get per 1000 miles. Amazingly I got very accuratelly muching results.
    Or you can go to a tire website like www.1010tires.com and use their tire size calculator (located on the left side). It shows (and recommends) how a different tires size will affect your odometer and speedometer. this confirmed for me that 235/60 was fine for the Quest (along with the recommmendations from 5 tire shops).
  • nishonbarunishonbaru Member Posts: 39
    I replaced the terrible OEM BadYear's with Nokian I3's 235/60/16 about 6000 miles ago. The Nokian's are a huge improvement and I won't need to change them out come winter.
  • rich21093rich21093 Member Posts: 5
    My tires are the OEM 225/60/17's. If I switch to 235/60/16, do I need new rims as well?
    I would call a reputable tire shop to confirm this but I suspect you will need new rims. you should find out how the change in size will affect the speedometer.
  • mattesmattes Member Posts: 1
    We are getting ready to purchase a new Quest S 07 which will come with the 16 inch rims and the bad factory tires. My question is later on can we put aftermarket rims in the 16 or 17 inch size and still use the factory tpm gauge in the rim (or the stem)? I realize that my speedometer will be off and would also like to consider recalibrating that or whatever they do if we choose 17's. We love the van and see the tires as the only downside with an easy fix by going to 235/60/16 if we wanted to stay with 16 inch rims.
  • mwokesmwokes Member Posts: 10
    What model of Kumho tire did you put on your quest. I just got a quote for Kumhos, but all my local garage told me was that it was their "ASK tread". Any info would be helpful. They want $420 out the door for a t rated tire.
  • imvandymanimvandyman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for the great info here. I have an (early) '04 Quest. Yes, the OEM Goodyears (BadYears) barely last 40k miles and I wouldn't recommend them. I went with Cooper 235/60/16 replacements. (Just now saw the posting recommending against Cooper: I should have consulted this forum first!) You don't need new rims. However, I now have two pressure sensors that are leaking. The van is at the dealer now in hopes that the sensors will be fixed (see the service bulletin posted earlier in this thread). Ironically, the van is at the dealer because we had an outer rear panel on the driver side separate from the van on the highway! (See all the posts about the problems with the driver side passenger door!) Oh, and there's a CD stuck in the player! (Thank goodness for the factory extended warranty.) Anyway, I second the opinion that you probably want to do an alignment regularly. I'm having that done now as well because the van pulls to the right with the new tires. I'll keep you posted. (Out the door for the Coopers: $389.00)
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I have a Quest 05 SE model. Today I have 2 questions and wonder if anyone can give me some tips.
    First how does one turn off the "low tire pressure" signal on the dashboard? This morning it turned "on" as I took my van to change oil. I asked the mechanic to check them and put more air if needed. He did but somehow the signal was still displayed.
    Second, what winter tires to put on? My OEM tires are P225/60R17. If someone can suggest a few choices, 2-3, I'd appreciate it very much. Also what about the tire pressure sensor in the OEM tire stem. What happens to them when you change to a new set of tires? Can they be transferred? This seems to be a naive question and I apologize in advance :blush:
    Thanks,
    Phuc
    YOu need to add air to your tires. I've found that mine goes off on very cold days if I haven't checked the air in my tires in a while. The recommended air pressure is 35 psi. The TPMS seems to read 3 psi low. If you have 30 psi in your tires, the TPMS reads 27 psi and will trigger the alert. It normally takes an on0off cycle to clear.

When you change tires, let the instller know you have the sensors on your tires. You shouldn't have a problem since most new cars have this sensors and shops are training their installers on the correct installation.

For snow tires, I would check Tire Rack.
  • calvin1962calvin1962 Member Posts: 34
    I picked up som non factory wheels to mount winter tires on for my 04 Quest. I found some used 17" wheels and bought a set of Michelin X-Ice from Tire Rack. Does anyone have experience on usingt the Tire pressure sensors on non factory wheels? If they will worl I found a set at an on line Nissan parts store fr $53 a piece I will buy.

All this because I cand disble the system and run snows without the contant warning!

Thanks,
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    We are using 17" Maxima rims - we use the stock rims for the snows.

There's a light lit on the dash panel, but it doesn't flash.

My Subaru flashes every 4 seconds - I put a piece of black tape over it.
    If you take it to a tire shop to have the tires mounted and balanced, they should be able to hook it up for you. When i got my new tires in August from tire Plus, the manager told me they were all trained to handle TPS.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    On my 04 Nissan Quest SL, I replaced the crappy Badyear tires with 235/60/16 Toyo Proxes TPT tires in March. These are actually directional performance tires but they drive great. I use to have vibration at 70-80mph, but the new tires eliminated most of it. The OEM tires got replaced at 28k and that's another reason why I would never use those Badyear tires again.
  • lutek34lutek34 Member Posts: 2
    Can some one provide mi with wheel alignment specifications for’95 Mercury
    Villager/Nissan Quest? This car is in Europe and in repair stations they
    don’t have specs in theirs computers to do proper alignment, only way to do
    the alignment is manually enter data do the computer.

Thanks
  • lutek34lutek34 Member Posts: 2
    Can some one provide mi with wheel alignment specifications for '95
    Mercury
    Villager/Nissan Quest? This car is in Europe and in the repair
    stations they don't have specs in theirs computers to do proper wheel
    alignment, only way to do
    the alignment is manually enter data do the computer. I need toe-in,
    front camber and front caster

Thanks
    Jerzy
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    I was perusing Tirerack.com and noticed that the special 225-65-16 tires are now available in a few other brands; Michelin, Yokahama, and General.
    I picked up a pair of nice '06 rims with tires from a junkyard, to run in my '04. The newer rims have the tire valve pressure sensors, but don't register pressure on the computer of my '04? Any ideas? Do the sensors need to be calibrated by the dealer or something like that? :confuse:
    Hi,
    Wish I could help. I am pretty sure that some programming is necessary so you are not reading the tire pressure on the Nissan next to you at the traffic light. I picked up a key fob on Ebay for my 04 Quest and the procedure to program it was pretty wierd but it worked. I bought wheels (non Quest) that fit the hubs to mount snows on and just went "Sensor Free". It just reads * * * * for the pressures. No alarms, warnings, or anything, just no readings. I seldom look at presures unless one beeps so it was fine for me anyway.

Good luck :D
    I called a dealer and the service rep said that he thought the sensors should work automatically, but also thought that the mechanics have a calibrating tool of some sort.

With these two tires/rims I also bought a pair of bare steel rims with sensors, from the same '06 Quest. I have a set of 235-60-16 Blizzaks coming from TireRack.com, they're running a clearance on them right now for $82 each. As I'm sure most '04+ Quest owners from wintery climates know, the original Goodyears are horrible in slippery conditions. :mad: We have a sloped driveway, and the van is worthless climbing the driveway with the traction control on. Turn the traction control off and it barely makes it while spinning like crazy.
    Any tire shop should have no trouble hooking up the sensors to the new rims. They change tires and rims everyday.

The OEM Goodyears have a quiet ride but that is about it. I think any aftermarket tire will be better in the snow. If you get a lot of snow, the Blizzaks will do you well. Smart move.
    "Any tire shop should have no trouble hooking up the sensors to the new rims. They change tires and rims everyday."- dtownfb

dtownfb, I wasn't clear in explaining that I have two sets of rims with sensors all installed; my original '04 set and a "newer" set of '06 rims aquired at a junkyard. The issue is that fact that the '06 sensors need to be calibrated to work with the computer and read out the pressures on my '04 van. Hopefully the dealer or someone can easily fix this. The tire pressure readout is a convenient feature on this van, and I've grown spoiled using it. It saved me once already, detecting a slow leak that we had on one tire due to a nail we were carrying around in the tread.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    225-65-16 tire will be standard on Chrysler/Dodge van. So, we will have more choice later of the year!
    "225-65-16 tire will be standard on Chrysler/Dodge van. So, we will have more choice later of the year!"-carzzz

That's good news, carzzz, and explains the other choices now available. With a volume like the Chrysler vans, it won't be long and there'll be tons of choices!
    I'm not sure that just because Chrysler/dodge has decided to use it that it will mean more choices. Nissan has a good thing going having only 1 size tire available for the Quest and Goodyear making the tire has a good thing going being the only maker of it. Perhaps other manufacturers might decide to make that size or Chrysler/dodge owners will be in the same boat as the rest of us.

I absolutely hate the Goodyear 225/65/16 tire. Very expensive, rated for only 30,000 miles. They are hard to balance as well as it usually takes the dealer two or three tries before they get it right and only if they "road force" ballance them. The balance problems usually appear to be manufacturer inconsistancies as I have one of them right now not that old but out of specs for roundness.

Hopfully though another manufacturer will start making the tire. I'll never buy anything with the name Goodyear on it again.
    "I'm not sure that just because Chrysler/dodge has decided to use it that it will mean more choices."- garycox
    Gary, check tirerack.com, in addition to the present crappy Goodyear tires, 225-65-16 tires are now also available in General, Yokohama, and Michelin. All I can guess is that maybe these companies saw the Chrysler request and the potential volume made it cost effective for them to produce this size. This is great news for us Quest owners.
    I still don't think you will have a problem. When I replaced my tires on my 2004 Quest, I asked the service manager (Tires Plus) about the tire pressure monitoring sensor. He said they were trained to handle these sensors since they are very common on today's vehicles. If you have any doubts, simply ask before they do the work. I would be shocked if a tire shop cannot handle this.
    I called another Nissan dealer yesterday and they said they could calibrate the 2006 sensors to my 2004 computer for $34.95. They weren't sure if I would lose calibration for the 2004 sensors, though. I'll try a regular tire shop to see what they say about it all.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    Our van Quest 05 SE has ~21.5K, and it looks like the OEM tires may have to be replaced @30K. I have a few questions and would like to have some feedbacks.
    First, some of you mentioned about putting the Yokohama Avid TRZ. On TireRack website, some Quest owners said so, but one of them although started out having a good impression said that he later experienced problems with these TRZ, almost to the point of regretting to buy it. If you have them, please give me some long-term feedback.
    Second, I also saw that Pirelli P4 can also replace the 17 inc OEM on my Quest. Anyone has experience with them so far?
    I'm also interested to hear about other brands if you have them. Reviews on tirerack website tends to be a bit a mix of positive and negative, and of course includes many car companies so it's a bit hard to get a good feeling for what tire may work or not on my van.
    Thanks
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    Look at BFG Traction TA's.
  • joe148joe148 Member Posts: 1
    I recently researched tires via TireRack.com and comments from this site and decided on the Kuhmo Solus KH-16 in the 235/60 16 size. It's a 60000 or 70000 mile tire. We just came back from vaction and put 2000 mi. on them so far and I'm most pleased with performance/ride and at a great price. HUGE difference over OE. I didn't order from tirerack; I found a local independent dealer who ordered and installed. 4 tires for about $365 out the door.
  • keltobkeltob Member Posts: 1
    First, thanks to everyone on this forum--I needed new tires for my 04 Quest and this discussion was very helpful. When I finally talked to a dealer, I learned that Yokohama now makes tires in the size recommended for my vehicle (225/65-16). Judging from the comments here, I was lucky that my tires held out to 52,000 miles, but they definitely have to go now!
  • rstiefrstief Member Posts: 2
    What kind of a price did they quote you?
    I was looking around yesterday and Walmart quoted me for the 225/65/16 eagles $135. plus tax and mounting. And $128 for the Michlen MXV plus everything.

Another place quoted me Toyo 225/65-16 $130 plus tax but included mounting.
    So I am still looking. I do have 45000 on this 04 Quest and so far haven't had any brake problems.
  • rstiefrstief Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody ever heard of this brand? I think they are made in Korea. I see they are selling the 225/65-16 for $380 shipped from Florida.
    Was wondering anybody had any experience with them.
    Got my 235-60-16" Blizzak tires ($82 each from Tire Rack) mounted up on steel wheels today, without the tire pressure sensors. Looking forward to trying them in snow this winter.
    Installed the snow tires on our '04 Quest yesterday, they ride very nice with no interference issues. Handling in the snow should be interesting. Also, I'm noticing more and more variety of the 225-65-16 tire available on tirerack.com . Putting this odd size on the Chrysler minivan really seems to have inspired the tire makers. :) I'm really looking forward to getting rid of those awful Goodyear LS2's. :mad:
    I am planning to order a set of Winterforce with size 215/70R16, and i am not going to get a TPMS. How do you disable the system?
    carzzz, what people have been generally using for the '04+ Quest is 235-60-16 for a suitable replacement.

On our '04, I run no TPMS for the snow tires and the monitor shows nothing but ** for each tire pressure. No need to disable anything.
    I ran 235-60-16 on a set of alloy chryser wheels I bought for $75 last winter. I think they came off an Avenger. NO TPM's and like exploder said just a bunch of ***. It is really nice not having to swap tires & wheels at $50 a whack.
    Thank you!
    I have heard that narrower tires have better traction during snow, and also see tirerack recommended size 215/70R16. I am going to try narrower tires. It should do a lot better then OEM.