Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero Starting-Stalling Problems

Comments

• ceselliceselli Member Posts: 11
    Hello ~
    I got a new ignition switch put in ...Still does it I have spent over three grand in my tempermental Alero ....
    It did it twice today.
    I have been late for a family funeral along with other numerous events ....ten minutes in the ' on ' position and then the light stops blinking ......
    i have talk to several others and there is a class action suit started against GM. :surprise:
    :lemon:
  • neecie577neecie577 Member Posts: 3
    class action suit against gm,,, where do i sigh up,,, Im so sick of this car. The only thing that seems to keep this car starting is when i put in the key in the ignition , to turn the key and hold it till it starts. If i dont do that, that dang security light comes on, car wont start, There is so many of us on here, I can:t believe there is no fix for this car. No one knows whats wrong, Three years ive had this car. and all the headache. Almost miss my granddaughter being born cause the car wouldnt start. !!! Someone please help us alero owners ...
    I know me too I have a couple of card board lemons in my windows going down to the Renasanse Blg right in front of the headquarters and I am also making copies of every ones complaints and yes a class action suit it whats forming ~
    I purchased this' lemon ' brand spanking new ...never had a problem BOOM 36,000 and its a nightmare please keep in touch if your serious and can I make a copy or do you want to e-mail me your feelings ? I will be copying all these complaints for a couple weeks .
  • ja33ja33 Member Posts: 23
    Joe.....My wife was just about ready to sell our 2001 Alero until we stunbled on the 3 in 1 oil. I don't know if you read my post #187.

If my Alero ever gets dirt buildup in the ignition switch and stops starting on the first turn of the key, I'll post it on this site. Your auto parts salesmen must think I'm pouring a quart of oil into the switch. The Alero ignition key has quite a number grooves going into a very sensitive switch. The key must be clean at all times.

Again I lived with this passlok security problem for 2 years plus and can only tell you my experience. Good Luck!!!!.........Ja
    See my post #187....................Ja
    Passing on my 2001 Alero passlok security experience if you haven't noticed my post #187..........Ja
  • trippintrippin Member Posts: 1
    Disgusted with my '98 Intrigue having the same issue with starting. First and last Oldsmobile i ever buy and im definetly finding out about that class action suit ive been reading about on here. Having spent over $600 and still the dealer has no idea is bullsh_t. I'm willing to try anything so thanks for the idea about the 3 in 1 oil.
    Try 3,500 $ and have them tell you no mam < hate the mame part too LOL we have found nothing wrong with your car !
  • rbfromabilenerbfromabilene Member Posts: 3
    I had enough! I traded it off, with only 65,000 miles, for a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT pickup with 101,000 miles, even trade! I had the starting problem in April 2007, April 2008, June and July 2008. The only thing that my private mechanics can come up with, is the computer or key loses the programming. To start the car: Turn key on (just on, not to try to start) for exactly ten (10) minutes; turn off and back on for ten more minutes; turn off and back on for ten more minutes; turn off for 2-3 minutes and it will start! Use a stop watch or your cell phone for the exact ten minutes. If at anytime, you see the "Security Lock" light go off and stays off, it will start, without going through the other ten minute programs. And, I did not tell the dealer that I traded with, that it had any problems!!!!! I had already replaced the fuel pump and everything else that I could afford in 2007. People can say what they want about a Ford, such as Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Road Dead. These are not as rude as Pontiac or Buick. How can one say they will not buy another Oldsmobile? They quit making them in 2003 or 2004 and now, no more Pontiacs. Who we bring suit against, Us the Tax Payers or Obama for bailing out GM with our tax dollars? I'm for it, just let me know.
  • rbfromabilenerbfromabilene Member Posts: 3
    I just posted the above. Checked on the Ford Ranger and may be in trouble with it too. But is is actually a Mazda. Runs great with 5 speed tranny. I checked on my Buick Roadmaster......no problems, even with the LT-1 engine. And yes, it will get up and go, at 7,000 lbs. and being a used hearse for my business.
    R.B. McM.
    (Abilene, TX)
  • mpiazzampiazza Member Posts: 1
    Engine 2.4 L4 PI DOHC 16V..41,000+ Miles. Key turns, all lights on.....Engine will not fire up. Trouble started 3 weeks ago. Sit there for a ferw seconds, try again, BINGO, engine starts. The "Security" Light DOES NOT STAY ON (1t Question asked by my mechanic). Mechanic put computer on car...only indication he read was w/the Crank Shaft Sensor....replaced same...took car home....next morning, same problem. Back to the shop. This time mechanic replaced(?) wiring on Ignition Starter...took car home. guess what....same problem. Now, condition still exists but it may take me approx. 5 mins before engine fires up. So far I've not been stranded anywhere but I'm worried. My car is in the shop again. I've read some comments made re similar problem, but to have to wait 10 mins. before getting started is not a fix. Does anyone have an answer to this problem??
  • cadwackercadwacker Member Posts: 1
    I tried the 3 in 1 oil to clean out my ignition switch, it was pretty dirty. Then I unloosened the bolt at the fuse box and cleaned it off. I tightened it back up and my 2001 Alero started right up. Wow unbelievable. So far so good. Thanks to all for all the advise. :shades:
    Cadwacker. Thanks for trying the 3 in one oil. I thought I was the only one who believed in this easy solution. I have not had a starting problem now for over 11 months. Maybe I'm still superstitious, but I still use a drop of oil on the ignition key at least once a month.

If anyone else has had good or bad results from this easy solution, I would appreciate hearing. (see message #187) Ja
  • alerojaaleroja Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Alero and this weekend I experience the security problem. It's sitting at my mechanics right now who is trying to reset this problem. At first it wouldn't start but now it starts but the security light keeps blinking. There next step is to replace the cylinoid. Did you have the same issue?
  • alerojaaleroja Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2001 Alero which seems to be having a security problem. It started this weekend. At first it wouldn't start and I towed it to the mechanics who is trying to figure it out. The car starts up fine but the "security" light keeps blinking. His next step is to replace the ignigtion cylinder. I'm going to recommend your suggestion. Has the car ran fine for you ever since? Does my problem seem similar to yours?
    That is the same exact problem I had until I put a drop of three in oil on my ignition key. Go back and READ MY MESSAGE #187. It explains the same problem with the passlok security starting problem and the damn security light , having to wait ten minutes when the system acts up. It was a pain!!!!! Save your money.!!! It is now over 11 months since I had the problem. My wife wanted to sell the car. Try and let me know. Ja
    Morning 220 ~
    No cylinoid replacement ...your mechenic prob is dumbfounded as all the ones I have dealt with.....I replaced a starter- and various other crap.....2700 dollars later and it only does it out of the blue .usually when I have pertenent appointments. I have contacted a GM exect and they give me the run around even as far as to say buy a new car I laugh every time I think about that conversation..
    They are all greedy wh--s they got their $$.
    So I tried yet another ' wonder if's '..............only the igniton key is on my key ring...no problems for a month ....ha and lifes goes on good luck with your :lemon:
    Morning Ceselli..........Save your money before it happens again . See my message #187...or my reply to message 220.. ...........Ja
  • appellofappellof Member Posts: 54
    Hello Brain trust. Here is an interesting problem that I hope someone out here can help figure out. I have a 2000 Olds Alero. When the outside temperature is below 55 degrees, it refuses to start. Now, if I am able to start it, then it will start all day no matter what the temp is. It just has a problem starting first thing in the morning after sitting all night. I just got it last August and it started just fine while it was warm at night. Now that it is colder at night it can't start until the temp gets 55 or better. I live in Arkansas and I know when the Ice starts falling I know it won't start at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • joyce6joyce6 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 2003 alero, and theonly problems we had were about 1 year ago, when we found out about an up date and we went to a dearlership and they installed it no charge,
    Funny isn't it we all purchased :lemon: 's and GM's answer was if your car is 7 years old or older purchase a new one..................
    So all together now 'Lets play the Alero game' sad thing is we all loose !
    That is the standard answer. "get rid of it or throw it away and buy a new one" In todays society it is a throw it away world. But unfortunately, if all of us on this forum probably don't have the money to go out and but a new car. Heck, I have never bought a new car. I would love to have a new car but I will never have the money. so I guess I will have to stick to used junk.

OK Soap box is now off. I don't want to get started ranting and raveing here.
  • 05wagon05wagon Member Posts: 9
    With the starting issue, I patiently talked several times with the dealer's service manager, and finally asked for the number to call district rep for GM. I was treated with disregard and no solution was available regarding the alero starting issue.
    For my two cents, I will never buy another GM product. If they weren't willing to address this well known starting issue and find some sensible half way solution - then I assume they wouldn't be trustworthy to solve bigger issues.
    I traded the 02 alero in for a used taurus. The taurus has had no issues for the 15 months I've owned it.
    Gm deserves no customer loyalty from our family (we drive 3 vehicles)
    I am glad that this forum exists or we would never had known about the scope of this issue with the alero.
    By the way GM, we loved that car and would have driven it probably till the wheels fell off. But because you wouldn't find a solution to this issue, we had to trade the alero off. Buy another car from you?
    Fool me twice,.......shame on me
  • neecie577neecie577 Member Posts: 3
    Isnt it funny that in the owners manual that goes with this 2001 oldsmobile alero, it says how to fix this, with the ten minute solution, Well if the company put it in there, u would think they know what is really wrong with our cars. and to get them to help us fix this is like pulling teeth, im so sick of this car, i wish i could afford to trade it in , or buy a new car. but i cant. why cant GM have some pity on us. geez , i hate my car.....
    I too play the 'Alero Game' ..........It sucks when it's cold out ...
    Let's not forget ..............they got their $$.............. so screw us
    I have to glance at my manual thx ! ....
    It's been established peeps ....
    GM makes :lemon: 's !
    First of all any "Owners Manual" has just enough information in there to confuse the consumer. As far as I am concerned Owner's Manuals aren't worth using as toilet paper. I am talking about ANY Owner's Manual for anything. I am a Broadcast Engineer and I work with many different types of equipment from CD players to Broadcast transmitters to maintenance and repair of the station vehicles. I don't even look at the owners manual. Now, If there is a service manual that is different. As far as the Security light. Hmmmm.......Does anyone really know what it's true purpose is for? I think that GM needed to spend some money so they designed that just to waste money. As far as field service, most dealers are just sales. although, they have a great service department, you really need to contact one of the design engineers at the factory for true technical support. OK I am done ranting and raveing for the day. I can say this though, give me 60 to 90 days and I will know more about the Alero than I probably would care to know. I am just like a lot of other people on this forum, I am too broke to go buy another vehicle so I guess I am stuck with the Alero for a long while.
  • julieann2julieann2 Member Posts: 1
    I just spent over $1500.00 trying to fix the security problem on my Alero. I wish I had seen this site before fixing it. It was fixed on 9/3 and 11/15 it would not start!!!! Does anyone know how to get involved with the class action law suit? My Alero only has 50,000 miles on it and I don't want to have to get a new car already.
    Okay, you said that the security problem was worked on 9/3 and 11/15. When you took it back on 11/15 did it have the same problem that prompted you to take it in on 9/3? You wrote in the headline "Electrical Hesitation when starting." What is hesitating? The starter or the guages or are you referring to the engine turns but does not start. Here is one thing I have figured out. I live in Arkansas the air is really moist from about late March to about the middle of November. Stay with me for a moment because I know where I am going with this. Moisture is collecting on the computerized systems, i.e. the computer circuit boards and the electrical connectors. When this happends, the water is shorting out the signal from the sensors that tell the ignition system to send spark to the spark plugs. Here is a case in point. 3 weeks ago, the temperature was 45 degrees in the morning and there was high humidity. My Alero refused to start until the sun dried it out. This morning, the temperature was 38 degrees but the air was dry and it started just fine. I have the shop repair manual and I have been studying the electrical system schematics quite heavily. More information will be forth comming. I hope this helps
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    What are your symptoms? Do you get the flashing security light when you go to start it (and it doesn't start)? Does the light come on solid when it's already running? Or is it something else?
    A lot of other problems are now being blamed on the passlock security system.
    I doubt if any class action litigation will be forthcoming, and there's never going to be a recall since it's not a safety related issue.
    If it's truly a classic passlock problem, caused by the hall-effect sensor on the ignition switch, then the best solution is to change out the sensor or bypass it one of the ways that have been discussed here or in the Grand Am forum. If the problem is somewhere else, then those solutions won't help.
  • mc05mc05 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. My mechanic tested everything on my car and he is does not know what is wrong with it. When you are starting it does the rpm go up and down like its trying to start but having problems?? This for me has been happening for a few months now. Does it always have a problem starting because I notice it more after I run into a store and then come back about 1 hour later it has problems starting.
  • mcpablomcpablo Member Posts: 3
    my 2001 alero hesitates to start but always fires up after a second of cranking. i have had the car for 2 years and it has always done this. what should i look at first
    It's only the beggining my friend .
    What should you look for ........................ah how about a no start at all......
    Sometimes it will start ....and sometimes it wont start...
    Bring a book and a few magazines .....................
    No
    what do I check ' first '
    When it won't start 10 minutes on the on positon and wait till the light stops blinking ......
    Then it will start.............. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Welcome to the 'Alero Game my friend and sorry you too have become the proud owner of a GM LEMON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OK all,

I might have a solution to the starting problems. Notice, I said I MIGHT have an answer. On my 2000 Alero, it has electric door locks, power windows...yada yada yada. Here is something I have noticed. When I go to start the engine, I notice that the door lock solenoids energize as if it were unlocking the doors. Those of us who happen to have electric door locks will notice that the doors unlock automatically when the ignition key is turned off. I notice that if I put the transmission in Reverse or Drive to disable the Starter Motor relay and slowly turn the key to the "START" position, I hear the door lock solenoids energize and unlock the doors. Now, here is my thought, The ignition switch as most of us know is a multi-layer switch. On one part of the switch is the control voltage to tell the Engine Ignition module to send voltage to the spark plug coils. Now, if in the event of a bad contact, the control voltage will drop out but everything is still energized and the starter motor will still turn the engine but there is no control voltage to fire the engine. I will be investigating this farther and will let everyone know if my thought has any merit to it.

Daniel
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    my 2003 had manuel doors,windows etc.Must have stranded me 25 times in the 3 years I owned it because it wouldn't start.So I don't think thats the issue.Most fun with the car would be driving 70 MPH in heavy traffic and the car would just die.Nothing like putting on your hazards and trying to navigate a dead car off the road in heavy traffic.Jeez I miss that adventure
    And to think GM states 'there is no problems' .........
    Sounds like you dumped it ............SMART ! Ah the 'Alero' game gets more and more in depth.........
    :lemon
    Because you did not have the electromechanical door locks, you would not have known that the connection in the ignition switch had opened. All you knew was the engine died. I know how difficult it is to try to steer a dead vehicle through 4 lanes of traffic at 70 miles an hour. I used to live in Las Vegas and would occasionally drive to Los Angeles. It is a rather unsettleing feeling when the engine dies and you are in the inside lane on the 405 in southern Cali.
    Ceselli,

We know GM makes LEMONS. When they designed the ALERO, they did not really think of people like all of us on this forum who are too broke to lease new cars every 4 to 5 years. Did you know, there is more electronic systems on the ALERO than there was on the APPOLLO 13 mission. FYI there are 4 different computers on board. 1 computer is the Body Control Module (BCM) . 2 is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). 3 Sensing Diagnostic Module (SDM) 4. Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM). All 4 of these computers must be in constant communication with each other over a RS232 serial cable. Knowing how small the wires are in these cables, it would not surprise me if some ALERO problems here on this forum are causes of that serial cable breaking down.

I hope this helps someone along the way.

Thanks for listening,

Daniel
  • jaedee1jaedee1 Member Posts: 9
    Determined OK: fuel pump, ignition, battery, timing belt, compression on cold engine: around 165 psi on all cylinders, Not passlock issue: did the 10 min. wait thing, changed all plugs. Car has COP ignition. Now, I'm getting code P0107 Map/Baro circuit low input. While momentarily unplugging sensor harness, noticed hose from sensor to throttle body was half-way cut. Fixed that, re-plug MAP harness - still no start. Apparently, by now, the vehicle had been fuel flooded - when removed new plugs, evidence of liquid fuel on plugs tips. Did add fuel into throttle to bypass injectors - still didn't start - could be cause of flooding. I'm now ventilating gas out of engine and plan to replace MAP sensor. Am I on the right track? What would you advise... I'm out of ideas?
    Jaedee1,

I assume you have the service manual because you gave the code number and the description. Is that the original map sensor that was on the vehicle since 1999?
    If it is replace it. Do you have a digital volt meter? If you do, then check to see if you are getting approximately 1 to 2 volts AC from the Crank Shaft Position Sensor. On the connector to the Ignition Control Module, check for that 1 to 2 volts AC on the Yellow (YEL) and Purple (PPL) wires of the connector. You will only see the voltage while the engine is being turned over. Also, make sure that you have 12 volts DC on the Pink (PNK) wire with reference to chassis ground. You should have 12 volts DC at all times on that wire while the key is in the RUN and START position. I hope this helps, keep me posted on how you make out with it.

Daniel
    More and more I just can't believe how many of us have gotten screwd by GM .
    i sent a letter to 'click and clack ' a radio program where they talk live about peoples car problems and well I sent them this forum site with all our problems so heres hoping it will air soon and they will call me so I can voice this live on nationalo radio ....maybe a few more peeps with this GM :lemon: should e-mail them too ......just go to 'bing' and type in click and clack ............
    Happy Holidays all of you Alero owners here's hoping Santa brings us all new car LOL like the commericial .yah right !
  • 05wagon05wagon Member Posts: 9
    I must repeat, "I note so many of us were verysatisfied with our aleros (several of us planned to keep the car until it wore out)".
    But instead, GM refused to investigate this problem so as to find a solution to the non starting issues.
    What good is a car that you can't rely on to start.
    Think about that fact.
    The car just won't start for unfound reasons and it won't start at unpredictable and unpatterned occasions.
    Who wants to own and keep a car with that kind of problem
    AND GM DIDN'TCARE!!!
    The only pay back is to not purchase GM products.
    Why would you trust a company with no service performance from their brain trust.
    Don't buy GM products again
    Thanks, Daniel,

I'm really getting frustrated at this car. So far, I'm 4 days into this and $350 tool rental from Autozone. The flooded gas has now evacuated - vehicle still not starting. Now I'm leaning towards these 4 things:
    1) The MAP sensor: (although, not sure because I read up that this cannot stop the car from starting.
    2) Gas: (Also not sure because, I dumped fuel in to the throttle body, didn't start - but maybe dumped too much and flooded the car )
    3) Faulty fuel filter (My fuel pump kicks in fine and I can hear it each and every time - but although it kicks in, could the filter be blocking all gas from passing through - because I'm now not seeing fuel on spark plugs tips after tons of no-start cranking, or smelling fueI?)
    4) Faulty fuel gauge (Not sure: here's the symptom: when turn the key on to start the car, the low-fuel warning light comes on for 1 second then disappear and the gauge goes up to over a quarter tank. Also, the tow guy added some fuel in the car and it did not start. Not sure how much he added.

So my overall question is. From reading the above and my previous post, does anyone out there think my issue is fuel or a bad Map sensor? The car acts as if it wants to start...
    Or has it come down to the dreaded timing issue, ouch.. hope not!? As the car was dying on the freeway it gave symptoms of an out-of-gas vehicle.

One final note: The hose connecting the Map sensor to the throttle body was literally cut off - could that have caused the car to quit running and ultimately now stopping it from starting?
    OK, the darn thing just won't do right. I've bought and replaced the MAP sensor to no avail. Added fuel in the tank - womp - no start. Added a little bit of fuel again in the throttle - if it was fuel, this shoulda done it - again no start.

I'm resorting to thinking that my timing went off - which is NOT something I plan to tackle - or my ECU is fried. Either way, this is where I give up. Tomorrow I'll put the old spark plugs back as a last trial before I garbage the car (sometimes new gapping can cause no-start).

It saddens me because it's a pretty car.

Note: If anyone is going to provide any suggestion, please read my two previous posts. Because it'd be funny for you to come on and say something like: "Check your battery cables."

OK, thanks guys!
    Jaedee1,

Don't give up yet. Let me take apart my ALERO and check something out over the weekend. If I can find what I am looking for, then I want you to try it and see if your car will start. Look for another response from me by Sunday evening.

Daniel
    A savvy mechanic off Craigslist finally gave me the verdict over the phone: The engine has a bottom-end crack air leak - letting compression escape - that's why when the compression is registered in the tester the needle gradually slides back down - and that's why the car tries and acts as though it wants to start - but will never start. Pretty tricky: compression reads well yet, doesn't hold; so the pressure is quickly released.
    THIS IS BAD NEWS, BUT IN A WAY, GOOD NEWS, because I now know that I'm not that lousy when it comes to the fundamentals of getting a vehicle to start and, will now quit spending money.

Thanks for all of you guys' help!
  • mrsleblanc1mrsleblanc1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey! I was having this same problem a couple of months ago. Now I go to start car this last hour and it won't start. While key is in "On" position, lights still come on but won't start. Just hear "click,click,click" sound. Starter? And have been smelling gas from time to time.
  • mrsleblanc1mrsleblanc1 Member Posts: 2
    If my problem is a starter problem is it really worth it to get it fixed? Is it costly? Purchased car in New Orleans one year after Hurricane Katrina. Trying to hold on to it as long as possible. New Home owners and can't really afford another auto at moment. And my birthday is Dec.24th!!! Help!!!
    Mrsleblanc1,

OK, you hear clicking when trying to start. There are 3 possibilities that will cause that. 1. Weak battery, It will allow the lights come on as normal but it does not have enough capacity to handle the current draw required for the starter motor.
    2. Corroded battery terminals, The corrosion will cause it to have a loose electrical connection. 3. Bad Starter motor, I don't have an exact price of what it will cost for the removal and replacement of the starter motor. You also mentioned that you smell Gas from time to time. I had the same problem with mine, I found out that the Fuel Regulator was leaking around one of it's O rings. If I recall correctly, the cost of the regulator was like $75.00. That is just for the part from the auto parts store. I do all my repairs myself so I can not say what these repairs will cost from a reputable repair shop. You asked "is it worth fixing" Here is my personal thoughts. Is it paid off? if so, then it would be cheaper than buying another car.
    Here is a ball park figure, Say for instance, this is only hypothetical it cost ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for the repairs and it starts everytime for 2 years. Would it be worth paying $500.00 a year for maintenance? I think it would be better than paying a few hundred dollars every month. Also do you like the car. I really enjoy driving my ALERO. If you like the car then keep it and fix it. That is just my humble opinion. Good Luck with it

Daniel
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I think you have been given some bad advice. The type of test your talking about is called a leakdown test and that isn't the way you do it. Also, there no way to know for sure if it is bad the reason why just by the fact that the compression doesn't hold. It can also be caused by a bad or burnt valve or high ring clearance. The fact that you get compression ( you say it reads "well" then gradually goes away) means that from a mechanical standpoint the cylinders should be good enough to provide compression for the engine to at least start, even if doesn't run well.