Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• azs1azs1 Member Posts: 15
    I just took my new (bought in April) '06 CR-V in to the dealer to make sure that the AC was working as it should (I had heard a big "clunkety-clunk" sound when I started it awhile ago and I just wasn't sure it was operating the same since....).

Anyway, they said it's just fine (which is good), but when I got home I found that I can't turn the freakin' AC off! I keep hitting the button and it just stays green. AND, the "recirc" air button is also lit and won't turn off (it was turned on by the dealer; I almost always have it off). The only way for me to turn the AC off now seems to be by turning the fan off completely.

Any theories about what the problem is? Am I missing something stupidly obvious? By the time I got home and discovered it the service department was closed and nobody picked up the phone...

This is NOT good timing since I'm scheduled to drive about 550 miles tomorrow and I don't want to keep the AC on all the time. :mad:

(I realize this isn't a compressor issue, but it still seemed to make most sense to post it here as an AC issue....)

Thanks!
  • azs1azs1 Member Posts: 15
    Sigh.... Not "stupidly obvious"; maybe just stupid. The technician had turned the air to "Max AC" which locked the AC and recirc air on. I did not notice last night that the setting had been changed from where I keep it. :surprise:

All is well after all... :)!
  • tbcyberzomtbcyberzom Member Posts: 4
    I END UP PAYING 1000 DOLLARS ..THE DEALER AND HONDA AMERICA SPLIT THE BILLS IN 3 WAY..DEALER, HONDA AMERICA,AND ME..03 CRV WITH 64000 MILES OUT OF WARRANTY..I AM GOING TO GET RID OF THIS CRV B4 THE 12 MONTHS WARRANTY ON THE AC UNITS EXPIRED. BAD DESIGN OF COMPRESSOR ?? I DONT THINK CONSUMER ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING ANYTHING THAT THEY KNOW THATS THIS CIRCUITRY OR DESIGN ARE HAVING PROBLEM..JUST MY OPINION...
  • lambchoplambchop Member Posts: 24
    My compressor went out on my 02CRV with 45K yesterday (July 27th) We called Honda America & opened a case number. The car is at dealers right now being diagnosed. My CRV is from Japan & we are in the Dallas, TX area.

Hopefully they will cover the cost completely. Will update when we hear from dealer.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Jeane: "Feel free to post what your company does when someone complains about a bad part five or more years after they made their purchase?"

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there. Are you saying that people should expect their cars to start falling apart after 5yrs?

What was asked actually implied that you won't find a manufacturer willing to even listen to you after the warranty has expired. Give Honda some credit for covering, even if partially what is not their problem anymore.
    How about this for a safety issue: I can't transport my 4 week old son anywhere in this heat without his little head exploding.

Chances are that propery hidrated baby will not explode in a 100°F heat.

Someone is just exuggerating their personal feelings about the heat. (Tell me that there is no Global Warming) Following this logic there should be no babies left alive in Africa, South America or elsewhere in the world where summer time tempratures exceed 100°F on the regular basis and there are no air conditioners.
    which I ALSO think after 2yrs is a bit soon on a car w/ minimal AC use in New England...

Did the owner follow the manuafacturer's suggestion to cycle the A/C for 15 minutes even in the winter time? (hint: Read the OWNER's MANUAL)

Sporadic use is probably worse than constant use since the parts are not getting lubricated, hence the 15 minutes a week requirement.
    Example, if you spent $20,000 install central AC in your home, and used it 10-20 days in the span of 2 years, and then the compressor blew, you'd be pretty pissed. And you'd sure as hell call up the contractor and get his butt out to your house to fix it, and you'd ask him why on earth it failed after a couple dozen uses.

That person would be a fool to pay $20,000 for such central air system. I just had replaced the furnace and installed central air system in a decent sized home for $3,700, for a Lennox system. I didn't go for the fancy stuff, just regular 90% efficiency furnace and 14 SEER A/C.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059

I don't think he was being literal.

Following this logic there should be no babies left alive in Africa, South America or elsewhere in the world where summer time tempratures exceed 100°F on the regular basis and there are no air conditioners.

You're ignoring the fact that the temperature inside a vehicle can exceed the ambient temperature quite significantly.

tidester, host
  • tbcyberzomtbcyberzom Member Posts: 4
    david mc david honda in irving texas,i will never go back there again..
  • tjminomatjminoma Member Posts: 8
    The compressor in my honda exploded today while driving on the interstate 1 hour into a 4 hour drive in record heat. Only 52,000 miles. Definitely not the kind of reliability I expect. It's familiar to the GM vehicles I drove in the early 80's. Looks like it's time to look at the Korean makes with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranties. b.t.w., cars before A/C had windows that actually opened and vents too. :)
  • daedae Member Posts: 143

Sorry to say that, but you are talking like an idiot.

It is easily in the 120F range after a few minutes in a car, with 108F outside as it was around here for a few days. More then enough to really screw up a newborn.

People are not outside in this kind of heat.

Do you have a child? Would you risk him like that?
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Looks like it's time to look at the Korean makes with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranties.

I think the extended warranty only covers powertrain items. An AC compressor would fall under their basic warranty.
  • marymaryquitemarymaryquite Member Posts: 8
    My 2002 CRV needed a new compressor in 09/05 at 69,000 miles, and because it was out of warranty, I paid for it. Yesterday, eleven months and 24,000 miles later, the SECOND compressor went out and I had my car towed to the same dealer who put the replacement compressor in.

When the service agent phoned today to tell me it would cost yet another $1,000 for a THIRD compressor, I asked why it wasn't covered on warranty. He said the part had a one-year OR 12,000 mile warranty on it, so it was out of warranty.

Am I supposed to break down, get towed, and pay $1,000 a year, just to keep my AC running? I don't think so!

Unsatisfied, I phoned American Honda at 1-800-999-1009, extension 5, and opened up a "Case" and got a Case number. I'm supposed to hear from a Case Manager within three days, and then he or she will listen to my complaint.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1. Should I wait for the Case Manager to phone me and try to get him to authorize the repair under warranty, or should I go ahead and authorize the repair, then seek a reimbursement, afterwards?

2. Will the repair bill be lower if the labor is charged at the warranty rate and not the regular consumer rate? If so, then perhaps I should not authorize the repair, and wait and let the Case Manager authorize it. Correct?

3. Someone indicated that Honda has re-designed their defective compressors, and that if a person has this non-defective compressor installed, they shouldn't have to worry. So how can I guarantee that I get the re-designed compressor this time, and not another defective one?

THANK YOU, Edmunds, for providing this forum. And thank you to all my fellow CRV owners who've taken the time to add their case histories to the growing mound of evidence that there is, indeed, a bonafide problem with CRV compressors.

Mary Mary Quite
  • lcarlinlcarlin Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 CRV and in 3 months I will have it 4 years. I only have 41,000 miles on it and the other day, driving a 2 hour drive(trip) my compressor died on me. A friend at work also has a 2002 CRV and his did the same thing not long after his warranty expired. I understand things happen to cars after years of use. I have had the suggested mileage inspections on my car and I just drive it around town, to work (15 min away) and it sits all day, not being used. I will try to call HONDA but it sounds like they are turning a deaf ear. Everything else about this car has been great. I took it to have it looked at and confirm it needed a new compressor and the guy who gave me a quote said that was the most expensive compressor he has seen. That was from a discount warehouse he uses. can we say recall?
    I will try to call HONDA but it sounds like they are turning a deaf ear.

Have you read the other 100+ posts here? I'd say the exact opposite is happening.
  • usajagusajag Member Posts: 2
    Our 2002 CRV just pooped out on us @ 62k. Not positive, but by the way you guys are talking, it sounds like the compressor. I am anxious to call Honda and get this thing fixed, but we actually bought it used at another dealership. Will Honda still stand by their product and issue a reimbursement for us? Thanks for the help everyone.
  • martiwmartiw Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 CRV a/c failed on our hottest day (110+ degrees)10 minutes into a 2.5 hour trip. Arrived with heat stroke coming on for me and a friend's dog (+118 degrees inside the car travelling down the freeway with all windows open!). Tuesday took it to dealership, Wed they told me $1400 to repair. Great friend googled this website and Thurs a.m. I called Honda Corp and got a case #. Armed with copies of all your emails, I went to the Service Manager, nicely asked for help and immediately was helped. Key seemed to be having a case # from Honda Corp. Said he thought he could expedite matters for me and 6 hours later I was told to come pick up my car with its repaired a/c and covered 3 days of rental car. Couldn't have been more delighted with their prompt help, tho there is an ethical issue it raises that had I not been informed thru this forum, I think they would have gladly accepted by $1400 payment! Nonetheless, as a business person, I can understand not being anxious to be forthcoming as part not being recalled (not a safety issue) by parent corporation. Think Honda Corp should be asking themselves the ethics of this, as it puts their dealers in a conundrum.
  • jorgeperez16jorgeperez16 Member Posts: 4
    I really do not think that it matters if you bought your CRV from another dealer, I bought mine in 2002 from the Honda Norm Reeves dealer in Temecula California, and the compressor just died in Raleigh North Carolina about 2 weeks ago. I took it to the Leith Honda Dealer here in Raleigh and they fix it in the same day (of course after I had called Honda Corporation had my case # ready)
    Hope that this help.
    JP
  • dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
    My 2002 CRV needed a new compressor in 09/05 at 69,000 miles, and because it was out of warranty, I paid for it. Yesterday, eleven months and 24,000 miles later, the SECOND compressor went out and I had my car towed to the same dealer who put the replacement compressor in.

Based on what's been written here, I'd not only ask Honda for a new A/C at no charge, but also reimbursement for the one you paid for last year. Doesn't hurt to ask (I'd also be looking for a new servicing dealer).
    If people would spend a minute to read the posts before responding some useful information may actually be exchanged.

The question related to a USED CR-V. My advice would be to bring it to a Honda dealer and explain what occurred. As long as you have evidence of maintenance you should be fine.

And also I think anyone who can't spell the name of their own vehicle shouldn't get a free repair.
  • kwodonnellkwodonnell Member Posts: 3
    Several months ago I posted the following.

I just got back from the Honda dealer where I was told that the A/C compressor on my '03 CRV will cost me $1,600 dollars. I'm furious. I had the A/C go out on me while the car was still under warranty but they just recharged it. Now the whole thing is blown. It's comforting to hear that I am not alone. A quick google of "CRV A/C problem" gets me a ton of hits. Clearly this is a defect and hopefully Honda Canada will cover it. The dealer was no help at all, they charged me $100 but tell me it'll cost $1,600 more. Argh!

I did the $1665 repair and was hoping for financial assistance from Honda Canada. They said NO! Although Honda America seems to recognize this as a pervasive defect, not so in Canada. Has anyone in Canada experienced A/C compressor failures and asked Honda Canada for help? If so, what was the outcome. I'm absolutely furious. I own the CRV and an '03 Acura and they will be the last Honda's I ever own. Hello Toyota!
  • irishpassionirishpassion Member Posts: 2
    Just got a call from my husband, who took our 2004 down to the Honda Dealership this morning. Honda has agreed to fix the A/C Compressor under the "goodwill warranty." I am estatic as my husband deploys to Iraq on Friday and I did not want to deal with this alone. They were surprised when he mentioned the "goodwill warranty" but I guess it worked. Maybe that was the key, who knows. Thank you Honda!
    Wow, I just heard from my Case Manager, and he said that because I bought the car from a private party -- and did not buy it from a dealer -- that Honda won't extend a courtesy repair to me.

The car has always been serviced at a dealer, and I'm continuing with the same dealer. That should count for something, but apparently not in Honda's eyes!

I got Mr. Case Manager to say that he'd talk to other regional managers and get back to me. He said he was not aware of any problems at all with the AC Compressors going out. (Is he lying, or just uninformed???)

Sounds like Honda's showing favoritism to those who buy only from dealers, and prejudice towards those who do not.

I wish I had other recourse, than to talk to my hard-nosed Case Manager again.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I'D BE GLAD TO HEAR EM.

MMQ
  • iharthoorniharthoorn Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem in Canada. I have an 02 crv and the compressor has blown up. My bill will be $2400. I called Honda Canada, but the seem unaware of the issue. Why then is the Honda America paying for at least some of the repairs??? We Canadians need to make more of a stink to get something done about this!!!!!
  • lcarlinlcarlin Member Posts: 4
    I left a message yesterday, July 31, regarding my 2002 CRV's compressor dying at 41,000 miles. I mentioned Honda may be turning a deaf ear after reading soooo many complaints over the last week. I called the 1-800 # and filed a complaint and received a case# from a nice guy who gave me instructions on what to do next. He said a case manager would call. I hope they will see that this is not a normal thing to happen at this stage for everyone who has had problems with their compressors. I have another appt. with the local Honda dealer Friday morning to have my car diagnosed again and maybe things will work out so I can get this problem fixed. I will let you know what happens.
    Just got back from O'Daniel Honda in Omaha after paying an 85 dollar inspection fee and told it will cost $1,785 to repair my AC compressor. I bought my Honda from another out-of-town Honda dealer but provided all the service records (mostly from independent shops) as requested, but I could tell they hadn't been reviewed. I asked to talk to Ron Criss - the reg Honda rep that's authorized to ok repairs but was told no. It doesn't make sense to me to isolate the customer from Honda management. Mike O'Daniel jr. has no clue how to take care of the customer, let alone get new ones. Seems the best luck at getting help is to have a long standing relationship, but nothing about O'Daniel Honda in Omaha is exceptional enough to offset their inconvenient repair hours and excessive repair costs.

Sorry to say that, but you are talking like an idiot.

It is easily in the 120F range after a few minutes in a car, with 108F outside as it was around here for a few days. More then enough to really screw up a newborn.

People are not outside in this kind of heat.

Do you have a child? Would you risk him like that?

I am sure you are smart enough to realize that when the A/C is broken you open the windows. There are generations of people who have grew up without air conditioning and somehow managed to survive. I guess, it is pure luck that I am alive today, my parents had no A/C. And as a kid, I spent my whole summer being outside, out in the morning, in at sunset. Maybe that is why I am not affraid to go for a jog in this heat, or work out. I do drink about a gallon of water a day these days. I truly believe that "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

If you have problems with 108°F weather, tell Mr. President that maybe Global Warming is real!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    tell Mr. President that maybe Global Warming is real!

The water in my radiator runs about 180-190° - even in winter so you must be right! ;)

tidester, host
  • gtl2006gtl2006 Member Posts: 2
    On 7/24 I had the a/c compressor in my 2004 CRV-LX replaced under warranty after it went dead. On 7/29 after about 30 or 40 minutes of use I started to notice an occasional knocking noise coming from the area of the a/c unit in the engine bay. This noise is still noticable after 30 or 40 mintues of use. Temperatures in NY have been in the high 90's to low 100's. The air still blows cold relative the high temps and humidity. Should I be concerned about this noise or is it normal.
    THAT KNOCKING NOISE IS OMINOUS. GO BACK TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU HAD IT REPAIRED AND HAVE THEM LOOK AT IT. DON'T WAIT FOR IT TO FAIL AGAIN. YOU COULD BE IN TRAFFIC THE NEXT TIME THAT HAPPENS, AND WHEN MINE FAILED, THE ENGINE QUIT -- NOT SAFE! :sick:

MMQ
    So the engine "quits" when the AC compressor fails? I don't recall any one else reporting that (and I don't recall you saying that in your previous post).

These stories keep getting more interesting.
    Yes, I should have reported that in my previous post. The engine did stop when the compressor failed. (Fortunately, I was in a parking lot, so I could stop immediately.)

Has that happened to anyone else? :confuse:

MMQ
  • asugalasugal Member Posts: 3
    Well I applaud those who have had success with their Honda dealers and Honda America on this issue. The compressor died and the clutch fan broke on my '02 CRV (70,000 miles), contaminating my A/C system and requiring a full replacement at a $3100 price tag. I was headed out of town just as this happened and had to authorize the repair so the household would have a working vehicle. When I got back, I started researching and found this site (and others, but this one is the best). I called Honda America, opened a case, and an hour later my dealership called saying Honda was authorizing them to offer me $600 to "help" toward the repair. Sounds very responsive, but $600? Come on. I faxed a letter to them detailing how disappointing that offer was, included my research about others getting "goodwill" warranties (regardless of mileage on the vehicle) and asked that they reconsider how much they were willing to help with my situation. I traded several voice mails with a case worker, finally left a message saying "look, you've set a precedent by covering this for some customers, you should cover it for any customer with this particular problem. It's obvious there are a percentage of these vehicles that have A/C parts that are not up to Honda's traditional standard, and I think you should cover the remaining $2500 of my repair." That was a week and a half ago and the silence from Honda has been deafening. So much for Honda "making it right" with their customers...
  • kwodonnellkwodonnell Member Posts: 3
    I am not giving up the fight. I will be faxing them often and sending letters and detailing more of what Honda America is doing. We will see what happens. Let us know how you make out. :mad:
  • gtl2006gtl2006 Member Posts: 2
    The engine did not fail when the compressor failed the first time. So I think the knocking noise is not coming from the engine but from the recently repaired a/c system. I was thinking the freon might be low and there might be trapped air causing this noise. I can't seem to find the watch glass on the 2nd generation a/c systems to check on this.
  • supercalifragsupercalifrag Member Posts: 9
    I recently bought a 2006 CR-V SE and during this period of heat waves, I've been making use of the A/C when I usually prefer the windows. The one thing I have been noticing is that the A/C temperature will fluctuate during acceleration, with warm air coming out of the vents during the acceleration and when coasting speed is achieved, the A/C will resume to a much cooler temperature. Anyone else experience this? :confuse:
    No problems with the quality of the AC, here. My CRV Ex had consistent, cold AC -- until the compressor blew.

MMQ
    A HALF-BAKED SOLUTION IS BETTER THAN NONE. ;)

I heard back from my Jeff at American Honda today. Yesterday, I debated with him for 25 minutes, presenting logical arguments why Honda should pay for my car's third compressor, even though I had not bought the Honda from a dealer. Today, after waiting for Jeff to "check with my colleagues" overnight, he called to say that Honda will pay for HALF the total cost of the repairs.

Yesterday, out of desperation I asked Honda to pay for only half. So it looks like I gave them an "out." I suspect that if I'd bought the car from a dealer, they would've given me more "courtesy" in the courtesy warranty. I wish I'd stuck to my guns, but maybe I would have gotten nothing if I had. :confuse:

Now, I have to make sure that the dealer doesn't install the same defective-type compressor in my car. I don't want to have to go through this, again! :mad:

MMQ
    Just a follow up. Apparently posting to this forum was like waving the magic wand... :) My Honda America case worker called me again today and we finally connected - his response to why some people get goodwill warranties and some get other offers was "there is no set formula on what they can offer". In any case, he said his original call to my dealer was supposed to be for coverage of the parts on my repair - $2200 (not $600), so they are sending me another check for $1600. At this point I declared myself satisfied considering mileage and age of the vehicle, though it would be nice if they could be consistent, since I have seen posts with '02 CRVs and similar miles whose dealerships covered everything. So I'm OK with Honda America, but probably not going back to Honda Cars of Mesa.

Best of luck everyone!
  • hondagirl7hondagirl7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I have a 2004 Honda CRV, 37K miles, ......so yesterday, while driving in 100 degree weather on the East Coast, my AC shut off, my car stopped (thank god I was stopped at a traffic light), and a nice scary puff of smoke came out from underneath the right side of the hood. I was able to start my car after a few seconds but my AC started blowing hot air. Brought the car to a nearby Honda dealership and they tell me that my compressor is dead and that my oil is contaminated. They recommend a total AC System replacement at a $2500 or so price tag and I'm told this is at least an 8 day job. I've asked for Honda to pay for all of this.
    Anyone out there who can give me tips regarding getting Honda to pay for this repair? I've always kept up on my maintenance and this is not a normal wear and tear incident....
    If you've read through this thread there are some common themes. Talk to the Service Manager at your dealership, if they put up a fuss tell them to call Honda America for the OK or you will submit a case yourself. (1-800-999-1009) Don't have them do the work first and then try to collect. I don't understand the 8 days unless they are waiting on parts, but even then that seems excessive, and I've seen some posts where people got the dealership to pay for a rental car as well. Mine was only in the shop 2 days, so not as big a deal. Your car is newer and just barely out of warranty, they should definitely be offering you a 'goodwill warranty' and fixing it for free! Good luck!
  • buckwheat777buckwheat777 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I have a 2003 crv exl 80400KM, Vin # starts with J, which I bought brand new, my a/c compressor broke down yesterday as I was coming home from work, this morning I took it to my dealer to get an estimate and it came up to $4100+tax they said they have to replace the whole a/c system because the clutch broke off and it contaminated the system, I asked him if he's aware that there's an issue regarding this problem he said he never heard of such also I mentioned to him that I did a research regarding this problem over in the states, he said maybe in the states but not in Canada. He said he talked to his manager and they will file a complaint and also told me to do the same with Honda Canada. By the way I'm from Mississauga Ontario, we only use a/c few months in a year, it's not like we use it the most part of the year, cleary this is a defect base on what I read on this site, if American Honda recognize this problem Honda Canada should do the same. Let me know what happen. Tnx :mad:
  • whew63whew63 Member Posts: 19
    On July 13th while driving 65mph on the interstate, my car made a loud noise-we thought we blew a tire and pulled over. Tires were fine but when I got back in the car the A/C was not working. I purchased my CRV new, but it has over 67,000 miles on it. I knew this would be a costly repair so I took the car to a friend's shop to see what was up-he saw that the compressor had a huge crack & hole in it. I was very dissappointed as I live in the North East and I rarely use the A/C because I love being warm and even feel chilled during the summer. My friend told me that not only would the compressor need to be replaced, but the hoses as well as pieces of metal could be in the lines and could damage the new compressor and other components in the engine. He could not guarantee the repair. I knew I would have to go to Honda. As much as I'd love to, I cannot afford to be a "loyal" customer-I tried for the first oil change and tire rotation and they charged me nearly $200.00.
    Anyway, I hesitated and stewed about this whole A/C problem and thought to check to see if anyone else was having this same issue. I did a search and was led to this website-THANK GOODNESS!!
    Before even going to the dealership-I called headquarters and the agent took my vin# and found me in her system but could not/would not open a case as they take it "case by case" from the dealership-whatever that means-I informed her that I found this website and that the compressor issue is a common complaint with 2001-2004 Honda CRV's and that I had many letters saying so. She asked me which dealership I would be going to and that was that.
    I went to the closest dealership armed with many of the letters written here-I agreed to the $81 diagnosis fee but told the service person that I wanted to open up a case as I felt strongly that there is a defect in these compressors and I felt the repair should be covered. I told her that I know I have high mileage, but I do live up north and really do not run the A/C a lot. I also told her that I run the A/C, as instructed in the manual, once a week even in the winter for ten minutes at a time. She said I was out of warranty and that she'd never heard of this problem. She also mentioned the lack of service records on my part ("customer loyalty") and said I'd have to call Honda after I received her call regarding diagnosis. I left thinking I would surely get a big fat "NO" from Honda, but later that afternoon, I received a call from her and was informed that Honda would cover the repairs 100%. Today they called and told me that there was more contamination than first expected and that they had to order more parts on top of the $1100 already ordered and that I was welcome to go up there first thing in the morning for a loaner car.
    I was ready to take this to an attorney if turned down-they didn't know that, but there is obviously a defect with the A/C system. We all can't possibly be trying to get something for nothing from Honda. I will try to trade this car in as soon as possible as I have read from some of you this is reoccuring.
    Advice-Call headquarters, bring pages of these letters and remind the service person that Honda has been honoring replacements at 100%, make sure you tell them you run the A/C 10 min a week even in the winter and be prepared to take it to an attorney if you have to. My repair for sure is nearing $3000.00 by now.
    In order to help those who have yet to have this problem, try to find a site to file a complaint and maybe theirs will be covered too. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!
  • bmcr569bmcr569 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you all for input here. My compressor blew on my 2003 CRV EX with 53K miles. It only took 1 call to Honda America to get a case# and tell them what dealership I would be taking it to for repair. Within 1.5 days, it was repaired at NO COST. The service manager dealt directly with Honda for me and they had the parts in stock.
    I was prepared for the worst and was quoted $1400 to repair prior to searching here. I have my original respect back for Honda, as I had lost it when I found this was an obvious known issue.
    I strongly advise anyone with similar mileage to expect 100%coverage from Honda and hope that you don't have difficulty in getting it.
  • diamondgirlsdiamondgirls Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone who has posted their issues on this site. I put off doing anything about my non-functioning a/c for about three weeks because I figured I was out of luck (47,600 miles on the car) when it came to the manuf. helping me and didn't really want to put another $2,000 into a two year old car. Thanks to all the advice here, I called Honda America (1-800-999-1009) and a case worker called me back and by the next morning when I took my car in to the dealership to be "diagnosed" (we all knew the compressor was bad) Honda had already contacted the service manager and they had agreed to cover 100% of the cost of repair. I'm hoping I won't be in there again with another bad compressor - but for right now, I am very satisfied with their customer service. Thanks again for everyone's advice & sharing their situations. Good luck to everyone trying to get this issue resolved.
    You're lucky. I finally was able to contact my case worker today who told me that the dealer I took my Honda to - O'daniel Honda in Omaha - is an independent business and doesn't have to do anything to help. She added that once my Honda hit 36,001 miles, Honda didn't have to do anything either. After considerable browbeating on her part, she said she would refund the 85 dollar inspection fee that O'Daniel charged me. I had already paid an independent shop 40 to diagnose the problem (the A/C quit on a Saturday out-of-town and the local Honda dealer's service dept was closed). I am disappointed with Honda and will not be back.
    I recently bought a 2006 CR-V SE and during this period of heat waves, I've been making use of the A/C when I usually prefer the windows. The one thing I have been noticing is that the A/C temperature will fluctuate during acceleration, with warm air coming out of the vents during the acceleration and when coasting speed is achieved, the A/C will resume to a much cooler temperature. Anyone else experience this?

A/c is disengaged at or about 5000 RPM to allow more power to the wheels. It has been on most 4 cylinder Honda's since 2001.
    If the quality of your AC varies, depending upon whether or not you're accelerating, then I think something's not working properly. Your car is a 2006. Take it to the dealer and complain! :mad:

mmq
  • gr8fuldoddgr8fuldodd Member Posts: 2
    It seems that you just have to keep on them. After they created a file, I was able to bring it to the dealer and they replaced the entire air conditioning system.

So Honda redeemed themselves in my book. My theory is that since this isn't a safety issue, they aren't bothering with a recall, and probably have figured out that they save money trying putting people off as long as they can. But in the end, if you follow up, they will replace it.