Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Does anyone have more information on this pending lawsuit? That is, the number of owners who have filed, the cost of filing, the type of settlement and the proposed settlement date, etc. My 2003 CR-V a/c hissed (and blew hot air right after that) on (of all day) ....9/11/09...with less than 70,000 miles on the odometer!!!

Jus tlike with every other "class action" lawsuit, the lawyers are the ones who benefit. The law firm will get $20,000,000 in fixed compensation, plus $10,000,000 in expenses, and the people who signed up for the law suit will get a coupon for a free happy meal at McDonalds.

I would not be surprized if half of the people pumping up the class action suit on here and other websites actually work for the said law firm.

Honda stopped providing free goodwill warranty because it opened them up to liability to hungry law firms. So, you can thank whoever started the class action for the drying fo the Goodwill coverage.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've never quite understood the allure of a class action - if you have a lemon, why not get an attorney and sue the car company yourself? For the dollar amount involved, lots of them could be handled in small claims and the chance of significant recovery seems a lot better. At least 10% instead of 2. :)
  • zgreat1zgreat1 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the "update" and "clarification". Guess "there's no such thing as a free lunch" (well, perhaps an unHappy meal MacKaD, as you put it!) :cry:
  • zgreat1zgreat1 Member Posts: 11
    Perhaps a combination of ignorance and fear of going against the "giant" on the part of the "plaintiffs" would explain the allure. My understanding is that a class action suit is filed for "just and fair" redemption on behalf of a "class" of plaintiffs who have suffered an "injustice"..in this case, a poorly designed and/or manufactured product. Unfortunately, the lawyers who "helped" file the suit always seem to get all the moolahs and the "class" members are left with puny amounts, if any, and a "consolation" sense of "justice has prevailed" over the "giant". :mad: :cry:

Hopefully the readers of this forum will now think twice before signing up for a class action suit. I know I will. ;) Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    People don't want to hassle with small claims though, much less being an "active" participant in a one-off case, even if it's handled "free" on contingency.

I'm still waiting for my coupon for signing up for the class for overpaying currency exchange rates on foreign VISA transactions. It's been over 2 years now.
  • alix22alix22 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2003 Honda CR-V used in early 2004. Recently, I had a traumatic experience when the compressor of my A/C locked up in heavy traffic, shutting down the engine. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to switch off the A/C, since I heard the most AWFUL noise coming from under the hood. When I did, the noise went away, but the engine had died, and I kept having to start it back up. As you may imagine, I was very upset, mainly because I was in the turning lane, about to turn left in front of three lanes of oncoming traffic on a major US highway. All I can think of now, is how fortunate I was that it didn't happen during that turn! I was able to get to a parking spot off the road & called to have the CR-V towed to the dealership, since I didn't think I could drive it safely, not knowing what the problem was.

My service rep informed me that the air conditioner was the culprit for both the noise and the shut-down of the engine, and that the cost of replacement would be over $3,100. What a shock, since the mileage was less than 48,000. I told him what happened, and he was able to get Honda to reduce the price $750. I then did some research and found out about the "Black Death" related to particular models of CR-Vs and Acuras that had faulty evaporator hoses, the interior of which disintegrated slowly, eventually clogging the compressor, and resulting in the "explosion" of the A/C, sending shrapnel throughout the entire system. I reported my findings, and when I went to pick up my car, he told me he was able to get Honda to reduce the cost of replacement to $1668.

When I reviewed the service receipt, after the fact, and after I had already signed off on the repair service, I noticed that the problem had been written up as "Customer states the air conditioning is blowing warm air" (not so!), followed by "Black Death" and the replacement covered by "Warranty", meaning that it was a known problem that Honda could have corrected through recall and replacement of the defective hoses, wouldn't you think?

In the meantime, I commend the extra mile my local Honda Dealer Service Dept. went in working to get Honda America to step up to the plate and at least share the cost with me. I just hate that I can't trust Honda reliability anymore.
  • seafan88seafan88 Member Posts: 1
    I have just found out that I too have the "black death". Honda quoted me $3500 to fix it. The best that the dealer can do for me is to knock off 10%. Wow...not to sound ungrateful but that really won't ease the pain too much. This repair is costing almost 20% of the actual cost of the vehicle brand new! I bought the car because I had already had an Accord for 10+ years and loved it...but I needed something larger and since I lived far from family and did a lot of driving, needed something reliable.

I know everyone here has a hardship story...especially at this moment in time, but the money that this is costing me all the money that I have saved for my wedding plus a whole bunch more. I am a teacher (who hasn't had any cost of living increase in more than 3 years) and this kind of debt will seriously hurt. I wasn't even planning any sort of fancy wedding...just a small cookout on the beach. Guess we can't even do that anymore.

How can Honda expect to have any sort quality customer service or loyalty if they can't even acknowledge a problem that they know exists? How can this not be a safety issue when I keep reading stories of these vehicles stalling in traffic and pieces falling out? Will it have to take someone dieing, like it did Toyota, to admit there is a problem? In the meantime, what do the rest of us do? Go into debt and eat PB&J for the next few years just to pay it off?

This is infuriating and for the first time in 15 years I can actually speak poorly of the quality and service of the Honda Corporation. I think this issue needs to be brought out into the public forum so Honda can start hurting from a bruised image and perhaps then they will step up and help us out.
    :sick:
  • anryanry Member Posts: 2
    "After 4 years of service and 29,500 miles, I contracted the BLACK DEATH and I died from it". This is the final words of my 05CR-V a/c.

The repair estimate is $2,400 (they still have to inspect the whole system for contamination, that means maybe an higher bill). After negociation, Honda accepted the idea, a possibility of goodwill agreement. I'm keeping Crossed my fingers. :confuse:
    "After 4 years of service and 29,500 miles, I contracted the BLACK DEATH and I died from it". This is the final words of my 05CR-V a/c.

The repair estimate is $2,400 (they still have to inspect the whole system for contamination, that means maybe an higher bill). After negociation, Honda accepted the idea, a possibility of goodwill agreement. I'm keeping Crossed my fingers.

Wow, an 05 and with such low miles!!!

What is the first letter/number of your VIN number?
  • shima1shima1 Member Posts: 19
    I just got rid of my 02 CRV ticking bomb and got a RAV of the same year. Comparing the two the Honda is more refined and evolved in many ways but the fatal flaw takes it out of the running.
    Shame on Honda.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I've got a couple of Honda's, but with all of these apparant major defects (CRV AC. Ody Tranny, etc.) I'm becoming leery of getting another one. Last year I bought a Toyota instead. I'm actually thinking of moving back to better priced Ford's down the road. I'm thinking the time of far superior quality on Toy/Hon has passed and its stupid to pay a higher price for them anymore.
  • cinglemomcinglemom Member Posts: 49
    From what I can tell (experience from trying to sue Chrysler/Dodge) it's not a simple process. I had a lemon and put in lemon law claim's, complaints and other; they just denied. I don't have thousands of dollars to sue a company that has more money than me. They will just keep putting it off until a person gets tired. At least w/a class action law suit there are several people involved. This way might be worth it.
    I don't have thousands of dollars to sue a company that has more money than me.

Most lemon law lawyers, if they see your vehicle as a true lemon, will take on your case for free, and then manufacturer pays the lawyer's fees if you win. And since lawyers are in the business of making money, they make sure you have a solid case before they take you on.

Your state lemon law defines what is a lemon and what is not. If you have lemon, contact a lemon law attorney and they will take on your case. No out of pocket expense for you.
  • beesquaredbeesquared Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 CR-V had the "Black Death" issue last May of 08. That seemed odd enough to me that a compressor would go that soon in such a "reliable" car. My whole family owns Hondas. The dealer told me that it would cost 3200 to fix it. That my compressor "exploded" (lol, I am not an idiot, unfortunately for him). I immediately took it to my personal mechanic, who showed me the locked springs inside the compressor, and said it was indeed "odd" to see an AC failure that soon. After he fixed it up for 1300. I got a call from the Honda serviceman offering to maybe "work something out". Well, with a small child. I could not afford to bargain for AC in May in South Florida, so he was a tad too late. I did not know, until my compressor went out AGAIN today, that there was this issue and was known. I have contacted Honda America, who were no help at all, and the dealer wanted to charge me 105.00 to diagnose it, and I would not be charged if I fixed it there. Hmmm. Honda America says they will only take estimates from Honda dealers and not other STATE LICENSED mechanic. Sounds very fishy to me!! I am now out AC (driving 40 miles to work at the tail end of the flu), and who knows how much money next. They are not willing to pay for it all they said already, and they hadn't even gotten a quote. I feel like I need to do something! I am so angered that they would just brush it under the rug like that. There are SO many people out here that have the same trouble. I have signed the lawsuit petition, but not sure what to do next. I know it's October, but it's HOT here in FL!!! Any ideas?? At this point, I am DEFINITELY not buying another Honda!!!! Never thought I'd say that, but I can't afford to replace this thing every year, and neither should I!!
  • moneypit6moneypit6 Member Posts: 6
    Mine died recently too. It was hot in Texas so really had no choice. I did get someone other than Honda to fix it. It is cooler here now and am planning on getting rid of it in May of next year. It won't be too hot by then. Have you had your O2 sensor go out? That cost me around $500 to get fixed. Then the A/C. As you, I only bought a Honda because I THOUGHT they were reliable. I don't know what to do other than sign up for a class action law suit, which you did. Everytime I see a CR-V I wonder if their A/C has exploded yet. Terrible thought, but I think it just the same. Let me know if you find any way to get our money back.
    moneypit6
  • beesquaredbeesquared Member Posts: 6
    UGH! This whole thing is unreal. I am posting like a madwoman, and making calls. Even FUNNIER now. My reliable mechanic called yesterday to give me an estimate on the compressor replacement, and he can't find the part. It is on backorder everywhere he said. He is still looking today. That speaks VOLUMES doesn't it? I haven't had the sensor replaced, or mentioned until now. Yikes, that is a lot of dough. I will certainly let you know what I am able to come up with. Bound and determined at this point! ;-)
    Spectra makes a compressor that supposedly dosn't have the flaw but I couldn't find anyone to install it.
  • hondaacstinkshondaacstinks Member Posts: 3
    I posted a month ago about our compressor blowing at the end of August. Since then I've had it diagnosed through a Honda dealership (at the beginning of September) and after about 12 calls (2-3 per week since then) to Josh at American Honda, I finally found out that they are willing to pay $1600 of the $4800 bill it will cost me to fix my compressor.

That's still $3200! I started the case mid September, Josh went on vacation, finally got back to me to say he'd call me the following week, he did, and then the last I heard from him was to say, "we hope your repairs go well". He didn't tell me how much they would cover, and after I called back for 3 weeks straight, I finally got the information from a woman named Lindsay, who was very helpful.

Only problem now is that I've got a choice to spend $3200 to fix it, which clearly the owner of a $12,000 car doesn't have 3 grand lying around.

I then called Honda Care, where we had a warranty through the end of May and was met with an incredibly rude, unhelpful guy named "Don", who argued with me, accused me of "being too busy to call back in August when this problem happened" and then said he didn't have a manager and there was no one else for me to speak to. Interestingly enough, I called back and spoke with a really nice guy named Mario, who surprise surprise... connected me to his manager, Dave Ferger. Dave was very nice, but said he is unable to help in any way and that we are way too far out of our warranty to offer any assistance.

So now I'm here with a potential $3600 bill (after American Honda's "goodwill assistance of $1600) and a line of really rude employees. I am shocked at the level of customer service we've received through this trouble shooting process!! They were all smiles and friendly and confident in their "reliable" cars up until I have a problem and now they're leaving me high and dry.

Honda, there are hundreds and hundreds of CR-V customers who are incredibly disappointed in your lack of good will and customer service and I will not buy a Honda again unless I am helped with this issue. This is despicable as a company and you should be ashamed of yourselves. :lemon: :lemon:
  • hondaacstinkshondaacstinks Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of drafting an email to Tetsuo Iwamura, American Honda's CEO and Honda's CEO Takanobu Ito to inform them of my extreme dissatisfaction with their handling of the '03-'05 CR-V compressor problem.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere. If I don't, I'll be happy to pass their email address along so we can show them how many people are actually having this problem.

:P
  • hoffenheimhoffenheim Member Posts: 1
    2003 crv 200,000miles, changed the compressor 3x already, last time was worse, had to change all A/C system, mechanics told me that metal shrapnel all over the system, now using a/c sparingly... noted the weird sound started to creep back... just waiting to dump this car....
    Good deal. I think the problem extends through 06.
    If you have the physical addresses it might have more impact if it comes to a mass mailing.
  • markayo1markayo1 Member Posts: 23
    Does the 2009 CR-V have any problems ? How is the compressor on the 2009 ? Is the 2009 compressor the same as used in the earlier CR-V's ?
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Different compressor on the 2007 model on up. No issues to report regarding your vehicle and the air conditioner.
  • moneypit6moneypit6 Member Posts: 6
    My neighbor owns a 2009 CRV. He said Honda changed to a different compressor and that the '09 model should not have the A/C problem of prior years. Hope this gives you some encouragement. I wish I had done my homework, but alas, it is too late for that! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.
  • markayo1markayo1 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks. I appreciate your information. You also have a nice Thanksgiving.
  • anryanry Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I was on vacation. The first letter is J. Since last week, I cannot contact by phone the person in charge of Honda service department. I just sent him a mail in order to know what's going on with my complaint.
  • jcanoejcanoe Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an "04" CRV not aware of all of the AC compressor problems. The AC was cold for about two months but now no longer blows cold. I plan on having the system repaired after saving the money to have the repairs done.
    My question is are the repairs currently being done by Honda to these AC systems being done with re-designed parts or are the replacement parts destined to fail as the originals have?
    After reading all of these posts it is obvious that there were major defects in the original systems.
    :cry: :confuse:
  • maileleimailelei Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I paid $1,700 two months ago to replace AC compressor and the replacement compressor just blew out again last week. I had to take it in again, it was a real inconvenience and fortunately, I had a one year warranty from the auto repair place so they did not charge me. So it just means the replacement parts Honda is providing are junk too. In my opinion, Honda should be responsible for this problem instead of ignoring it. I certainly will not take my repair to Honda and give them the business. They quoted me a higher amount originally anyway. Basically they sold a bad car with bad parts and making a fortune everytime someone brings it in to them for the repair. It is appalling that they are getting away with this. I bought a Honda thinking the resale value will be good, but now I feel "stuck" with this car since the CRVs now is known to be the car with problems. Noone will want to buy it.
    Yes, I paid $1,700 two months ago to replace AC compressor and the replacement compressor just blew out again last week. I had to take it in again, it was a real inconvenience and fortunately, I had a one year warranty from the auto repair place so they did not charge me. So it just means the replacement parts Honda is providing are junk too.

If the place where you got your A/C "fixed" only replaced the compressor, that would explain why it was cheaper, and why it failed again, and will fail again and again and again. The proper repair involves replacement of all the downflow component which are contaminated with the particles from the old compressor.

Good luck.
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    The unfortunate thing is that the garage doesn't get reimbursed on their labor costs; the place where I take my car had to fix, then the compressor went out again about a year later, and THAT replacement went out the next week. Not an all-day job for the last two, but still...
    Crummy part
  • tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    From my message #255, Sept. 2006. Still driving my 2002 Honda CRV, 108,000 miles now and Honda's 100% paid replacement air system still working fine after three years.

My dealer told me the best Honda Corp. will do now is a 50% match on the cost since the cars are so old with higher miles, and then only for the very best customers, ones that have since purchased and drive another Honda auto along with the defective ones. It is getting to the end when Honda Corp. will simply say "too old" or these cars are off the road. Honda's take, cheaper to have paid some all costs or part than to recall and pay to replace all systems.

Good luck to all on any class action.
  • gsbackgsback Member Posts: 1
    I had bought used 2003 CRV w/ 88k miles in April 2007. My a/c went out after 2 months. My mechanic was going to charge me about $600 to fix. Fortunately, when he went to order compressor it was on back order. The local Charleston Honda dealer was going to charge me $1200 to repair. I checked on Edmunds website and found out about black death. My CRV was bought new from another local Charleston dealer and after some calls I found that the 03 CRV had a new compressor installed in June 2005. So after that I got dealer to replace a/c for $374. Thank God and Edmunds, because I'm still driving the CRV w/ 154k miles and alls well so far. Need I say more!
  • jpettibonejpettibone Member Posts: 51
    We bought a new Accord from the dealer we had our CR-V serviced at and they still would not offer us any relief. I'm done with Honda and that dealer. We bought a Highlander to replace the CR-V instead of another honda. If Honda had paid 50%, they would have gotten that money and more when we bought a new CR-V or pilot to replace the old one a year or two down the road (since I know these repairs fail and there's no point in holding on to a late model CR-V).
  • lorraylorray Member Posts: 6
    Hello, My 2001 Honda CR-V compressor has gone out on me twice as well. It went out on me in 2005 and last year. However, I recently lost my job so I can not afford to get it replaced again at this time. I will not be buying another Honda CR-V again. Take care, Lorray
  • booger53booger53 Member Posts: 2
    2005 crv, 66,600 miles, a/c crashed last week. On advice from here, opened case with Honda of America. Dealer evaluated at $3400., area rep reduced to $2400., spoke with Honda of Amer. rep and he reduced it to $1500. Repair completed yesterday. Replaced entire system. 12 month 12000m warranty in writing. Service rep stated that it was an eight hour job. No beef with the dealer, or reps from HoA, very professional. Still think HoA should cover all based on premature failure.
    Out of 2 other issues I had on the car, they repaired 1, rear differential "groan". They would not fix drift or pull to the right issue, though I showed them their service bulletin dated 4/2005, that showed a problem from the factory with the front damper.
  • bksansoo1bksansoo1 Member Posts: 2
    well, just brought my 2005 Crv to a mechanic, and sure enough, my compressor and everything that goes with it has to be replaced. If it ends up being as much as everyone posted, I'll trade in the car for something more reliable. Don't feel like shelling out upwards of $1500 every couple of years for this thing. Will call my local dealer and see what they say...
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Good luck. Depending on the car's mileage and your service record at a Honda dealer, Honda should offer to pay at least 50% of the cost. Some people with cars with miles not too far beyond the warranty and a good service record, and maybe good negotiating skills, have been able to get Honda to pay for most, even all, of the cost.
  • berninicaco3berninicaco3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi;

Just got out of a volvo station wagon (the transmissions are all lemons... it's a $2000 replacement with a salvage, or $3500 for a rebuild). I'm looking for something more reliable! Thought I'd turn to Honda; even considering Toyota's troubles the Japanese really do have a reputation for low-maintenance vehicles you can drive into the ground.

I'm very disappointed to have read this thread! Or glad to have read about this problem, in advance of buying one. I hear that Subarus mostly encounter headgasket issues, and that Ford Focus wagons tend to need the powertrains rebuilt after 100k miles or so. BMW and Mercedes are just expensive all around. I need something low maintenance.

So those of you going for something more reliable, what would you buy in stead? In the world of station wagons or other mini-suvs, because I do insist on 25mpg highway.
    ...or I can also buy a CRV anyway, and look for recent A/C replacement, or expect it to die and just drive in a hot car (at least it drives, unlike the volvos with a toasted transmission).
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2010
    Though the older CR-V's have had some major air conditioner issues, the newer ones (2007-Present) do not and the compressors have changed since the 2002 to 2006 models.

So please do not look upon this air conditioner compressor issues as an ongoing problem with the newer make over.

To verify, look at this forum to find any issues with the 2007-2010 models. I now have the 2010 CR-V, slightly more powerful, slightly quiter and a good all around SUV in my humble opinion. 6 months only, but enough time to make a firm opinion
  • bksansoo1bksansoo1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I called American Honda and they did respond back to me rather quickly with a case number. My service record with my local Honda dealer will show that I have kept up the maintenance on the car (with a few oil changes done elsewhere). I won't hold my breath about a free replacement, but I am hopeful. Otherwise, I will be looking at a Ford Escape Hybrid for my next SUV.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2007 and I find the system to be weak. In SOCAL, it is quite hot in the summer. I have to keep it on recirculate to cool in summer. I hope the system lasts. It seems undersized.
    This is my personal belief that if you are buying used, you don't know what you get. People don't usually just get rid of perfectly good cars. They hang on to them, and pass them on to other family members.

I would say that 90% of the vehicles offered for sale are up for sale because the owner knows something and does not want to deal with it.

So, baring that in mind, you stand a pretty good chance of getting a problem vehicle when you buy used. But, that is why you don't pay the full price when you buy used. If used vehicles were as reliable as new, then the prices would have reflected that.

No matter what the seller may tell you about the vehicle, how wonderful and reliable it is, there is an underlying reason why it is offered for sale. And more often than none it because the owner does not want to deal with an issue.

Look at all the postings here about the A/C issues, and everyone boasts how they will sell it or trade it or what not. Do you think they will disclose to the buyer that the reason they are getting rid of it is the A/C? Most likely not.

As the Romans said: "Caveat Emptor"
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    blueiedgod , I agreed with you 110%. I traded in my 2003 V and got the 2010 V. I knew I didn't want to spend another 1-2 K for an A/C. The 3rd Gen V is much more safer, powerful, comfortable, advanced, ... then the 2nd Gen V. Car manufacturers don't build cars like they used to anymore. 7-10 years of use/abuse is probably the best you can get out of it without major repairs.
  • tenyeardrivertenyeardriver Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 CR-V but am now wary after reading about the compressor issue. I get a general feeling of honesty from the seller about what issues he is aware of that the car has had (originally low rear diff fluid, but now he says it's full and good ...that it was filled to the level of the side, not top port originally but this did not cause any damage), but wonder if he's selling it before the weather gets warm because of A/C problems with this car or just his knowledge that it may be imminent (as opposed to the "growing family" reason given for sale). The car handles well, brakes well and straight. It's clean. I did notice more road noise than my '97 CR-V however. If I pursue the purchase of this car, how much should I pull off the table to deal with these issues?
  • derrickyoderrickyo Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 CRV has lost the A/C for the second time - first time around 43000 miles, Honda covered it all that time. Now 43000 miles later, same problem - Now dealer says Honda won't offer any assistance. I've filed a claim with Honda America - will see what happens, also saw on line a law firm that has filed claim agains Honda for these problems. Will see what happens with it all.
    edited April 2010
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 CR-V but am now wary after reading about the compressor issue. I get a general feeling of honesty from the seller about what issues he is aware of that the car has had (originally low rear diff fluid, but now he says it's full and good ...that it was filled to the level of the side, not top port originally but this did not cause any damage), but wonder if he's selling it before the weather gets warm because of A/C problems with this car or just his knowledge that it may be imminent (as opposed to the "growing family" reason given for sale). The car handles well, brakes well and straight. It's clean. I did notice more road noise than my '97 CR-V however. If I pursue the purchase of this car, how much should I pull off the table to deal with these issues?

Both Differential ports are on the side, one above the other.

If the fluid was filled to the bottom port, then there was no fluid in the differential. Driving without fluid would have damaged the differential. I would take it to Honda, or if you have access to a lift or 4 jackstands and perform the differential test.

If the vehicle is manual, while suspended in air, put it in 1st, release clutch, and let it idle. All 4 wheels should spin. Apply parking brake, and the engine should stall. Sorry, I did not read the part about automatics.... but I would imagine the test is similar.

I'd still factor in the cost of the differential replacement into the offer.
  • vkgarryvkgarry Member Posts: 7
    I live in Las Vegas where A/C isn't a convenience, it's a necessity. I have had my A/C compressor fail every summer I've had this vehicle. It is an 04 CR-V. We bought it new in 2005. Within a couple of months the first compressor failed. They replaced the whole system at a dealer in SoCal as we were out visiting family.

It has susequently failed each summer since. The first two were under the factory warranty, and second two under the extended warranty. I wrote to American Honda Customer Service in Torrance, CA, but they don't seem to want to help.

It's obvious from the posts here that this is not an uncommon problem. Does anyone know if a recall has ever been filed? My dealer service department has as much as admitted that they know there's a problem with this compressor. They also suggested that it was resolved by 2005, but based on what I'm reading that's not the case.

I did fill out an information form for an attorney in NJ regarding A/C compressors with several Honda and Acura models. It came up as one of the first listings of a Google search for Honda CR-V compressor failures.
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    It is my understanding that the AC issue was fixed for CR-Vs after 2005. Also, someone earlier indicated that the problems seem to be on vehicles that have serial numbers beginning with 'J'
  • dwkinseydwkinsey Member Posts: 11
    FYI, my vehicle's (2003 CR-V) serial number begins with "S" and I experienced the same catastrophic failure of the A/C system as most everyone else on this forum.
    Unbelievable! And to Honda's eternal shame, no recall!