Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• carol4011carol4011 Member Posts: 6
    I feel bad for you but at least you know you are not alone. There are hundreds/thousands of us out here. My compressor blew at 61,00 and that was two years ago. I still have not fixed it as Honda said they would not repair it. I now have 81,000 miles. In my opinion we all need to get some media attention as that is what Honda will NOT approve of. It is ridiculous as I rent a car for vacation. I live in Ohio and I bet in the five years I had the AC I used it maybe 100 times...that is 20 times a year. Honda had a BIG problem with transmissions and fixed that so why not admit to this. Any one that can get their newspaper or TV station to help would be great. Good luck. There is a group of attorneys trying to handle a class action lawsuit.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >but since Honda didn't replace it I didn't think of keeping the compressor.

The shop that repaired it might still have the compressor in their possession.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    " This time I got smart and took it to a local well known mechanic in Baltimore and it only needed a compressor. I saved $1,800 and the mechanic told me in his 30 years in business he's never heard of replacing a whole AC system for the 2nd time within 5 years. "

Please keep us informed how it goes. When the compressor goes, it generally causes small metal fragments to be distributed throughout the entire system. This will cause the new compressor to fail prematurely. Did the mechanic check the entire system for metal fragments?
  • willowjwillowj Member Posts: 1
    Okay, mine is a 2004. The compressor blew up fall of 08. I waited until July last year to have it repaired. It was a $1200 job as opposed to the $2000 the dealer quoted.

Just yesterday, in the 97-degree heat, I felt the power drain again. I made the comment, "this feels like it did just before the ac compressor blew up." Then the grinding noises. I turned off the ac and headed directly to the mechanic who replaced the compressor the first time.

After reading all these posts, I knew I had to ask if maybe there was debris left in the system when the mechanic replaced the compressor the first time. I just called him. He replaced the entire system for that reason.

My question is, now what?
    Does anyone have a fix to this?
    My mechanic is looking for a heat shield. I found ONE post suggesting a grille insert that solves the problem. That's only one post. I don't want to have to replace my ac every year. This time, my mechanic is trying to have the manufacturer replace the compressor at no charge. Does the fact that it didn't blow up this time mean there's no debris or do we replace the whole system again?

I called the dealer that sold me the vehicle. The young man does not know of a fix.

I really like my CRV. I had a 2001. drove it to 106K and never had a problem. Should have kept it.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You probably want to dump it. As more and more of these failures occur word gets out (e.g. Consumer Reports now black dots it), so as time goes by its just going to hit your depreciation harder and harder. Keeping it is kind of like holding a bad stock, except you have to dump $2G or more on the A/C every few years to boot. I'd cut your losses and run.
  • belacquabelacqua Member Posts: 15
    My air went out yesterday (100 degrees in TN), My regular Honda mechanic said my 2002 CRV had a history of the AC compressor exploding and that I would have to take my car to the dealership. Having had too many bad experiences with dealerships, I found myself online and in this forum.

Reading through many of these posts, I'm sensing only doom and gloom. I would like some opinions, so I don't waste time and money. I'm thinking--fix it; sell it.

What specific actions are others taking? Really, I need some input!
  • oathoath Member Posts: 7
    Take it to a reliable mechanic, if the car is paid for, the car runs like a charm, keep it. I was told to get a new one because the AC broke for the 2nd time. I was smart this time and I took it to 2nd opinion. I saved $1,800.00 by going to 2nd opinion and I have no idea what the mechanic did but it's running better than when it was brand new. Now it's giving me 26 miles/gallon instead of the usual 23 miles/gallon.
  • zinc6824zinc6824 Member Posts: 9
    just got my issue fixed through a local mechanic for $800. This was the best deal i could find. The dealership wanted $2800 for the same job. If you plan to keep your car, you better shop around, no need to give Honda any more money.
  • maryohiomaryohio Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CRV with 108,000 miles and yesterday the air conditioner went out (90 degrees out). I took it to an independent repair shop that I deal with. Today they told me it was the compressor - I don't have a price yet. Do you want me to send you the service records after I get it fixed?
    My '02 CRV has about 70,000 miles, and I had planned to keep it forever. So, if I could get the issue fixed for under $1,000 and repair the problem that caused the explosion in the first place, the CRV would still be a "keeper." However, if this is a re-occurring problem, then I would have to weigh all the options. I have pretty much babied it, so except for the air, it's in excellent condition. In the South, though, it's pretty difficult having a car without air--even it runs well.

So, does anyone know what the specific problem/design flaw is that causes the compressor to explode? I'm guessing that we are really not fixing the cause, even though we replace the whole system, since some people have had to replace theirs twice.
  • gctbgctb Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 crv and the ac compressor clutch and coil crapped out at 35 months, 46000 miles and Honda is not doing anything about it so far. Looks like the ac issues continue.
    2007 CRV 46,000 miles, ac compressor clutch and coil failure. I have always considered Honda as reliable quality but my long time Honda loyalty may be over after this 35 month old CRV AC issue and reading about all the other Honda AC issues. My 2007 is hot as hell now and Honda is taking over a week to decide my case. Sounds like they do not want to pay or admit to subpar AC parts. Thanks for the 90 degree car rides Honda and opening my eyes back up to the resurgence of american quality!
  • midwdrivermidwdriver Member Posts: 2
    I just had the same problems with the Honda CRV air conditioner in a 2004 CRV with a little over 68,000 miles. I live in the midwest, so this seems to be in the general range for this failure based on what I have read in these posts. I am grateful to those who posted to this site so that I knew to contact Honda of America. The price started at $3200, and eventually was lowered to $2012. That is still ridiculous for a known problem with these vehicles. The Honda dealer admitted they are putting the same systems back in. I will of course sign onto the class action lawsuit, but i don't hold out much hope for that. This was the first Honda in a family that has purchased many many Toyotas, but I could not get the price I wanted on a RAV4 so I took the chance and bought the CRV. And I would be happy with the CRV had Honda stood behind the product. But instead they acted like I should have been fine with paying $3200 for a new AC system that by their own admission will probably fail again.. This will be my final Honda and I will do whatever it takes to spread the word...
  • hondaguy17hondaguy17 Member Posts: 1
    ok, guys. Honda has a fix for this and are willing to help. They have posted a service bulletin on the correct way to fix this. If you take it to a local mechanic, you will most likely be doing this again.
    Here's what you need to do. Take the car to the local Honda dealership. Have the problem diagnosed there. The fix is liable to be somewhere between $2500- $3000. After they have given you the bad news, ask them to submit a "goodwill Warranty request" to Honda America to help with the cost. Now remember, the car is not under warranty, and you most likely did not buy an extended warranty, or you wouldn't have a problem. So don't get too greedy, if you go with guns a blazin, asking for 100% coverage, you are going to get turned down flat. Ask for something more reasonable like 50 or 60%. If you have a good dealership who is willing to submit this, you will most likely get what you ask for. Trust me, not alot of other car companies will do this.
    Please remember to be nice to the dealership service advisor. He/she didn't cause this to happen to you car and really wants to help you anyway they can. This is a tool they can use to do that.

Good luck!
    After much searching for an explanation for why the compressors blow up, I found the following link to a post written by someone who builds and knows AC compressors. It seems credible to me.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5534

In an earlier post the idea of a heat shield was mentioned. I am going to see what I can find out about that.
    I really don't trust dealerships, don't plan on wasting my time with Honda of America, but would nevertheless like to keep my CR-V without the worry of it crapping out on me.
  • lugla2010lugla2010 Member Posts: 1
    the ac on my 2004 honda crv quit working today. i heard a sound that sounded like i had run over an empty plastic bottle and hot air after that. i decided to see what the possible problem might be so i googled 2004 crv ac problems and i cannot believe that so many people are having the same problem!!. so i went the nhtsa website and there are only a handful of compalints there. i think that if everyone of us who are posting complaints here posted the same complaints at the nhtsa official site honda and their dealers would not be able to hide behind their sandard asnwer of "its the first time we have heard of this" i have been preaching the virtues of honda since i bought my 2002 civic to anyone who will listen to me but now i think that will change to the placard in my rear window telling everyone tht HONDA WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. i can understand auto parts breaking down and needing to be replaced but, for a component to fail and damage other parts that is horse pucky and honda should pay for the repair to the rest of the system. why should we have to pay for $3000 worth of damage for a $300 part.
  • midwdrivermidwdriver Member Posts: 2
    hondaguy17 mentions a service bulletin for the correct fix. Can you post a link to that service bulletin, or give us the specifics to it ? Thank you very much in advance..
    I, too, would like to know about the service bulletin. Thanks for your help, hondaguy17!
  • zempgirlzempgirl Member Posts: 2
    In 5/2009 I replaced my AC compressor at 80,000 miles on my 2004 CRV. Honda paid half and I paid half.
    NOW 18,000 miles later; my compressor is failing. It is just outside of the warranty! They are unsure if they are going to pay for it. I STRONGLY believe Honda sold the dealership a faulty part. Why would this happen again? (This is a second compressor!)
    I have to have the AC component....it's also tied to the defroster......
    Finding out more and more about the CRV is driving me nuts!!
    I am so done with Honda!
    I thought American cars were bad.....I am beginning to thing all cars are bad.
    This is my first Honda.....now my last....time to trade it in! UGH!!!!!!!!!
  • zempgirlzempgirl Member Posts: 2
    I have also just filed with the BBB against American Honda Motor Co...and Planet Honda.
    I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General in my state
    And I have filed for class action law suit.
    I am done being a victim to car companies. They need to stand by their product or get out of business!

I don't know where this will get me....but I am willing to find out. And I am going to vote with my dollar from now on as well.

Bye bye Honda!
  • wzly99wzly99 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, please send a link, hondaguy17! I'm having no luck with Google searches for the service bulletin. After 60,000 mi and 6 years of dealer-only service on a brand new 2004 CR-V, I feel a little screwed having to shell out $3000 for what is clearly a recognized defect in manufacturing/engineering. I would really like some factual documentation in hand for this negotiation. Thanks very much for any help you can offer!
  • dann7dann7 Member Posts: 5
    I would also like to know the lin to fix. Honda is out of control with this mess that they have caused.
  • alana50alana50 Member Posts: 12
    I spoke to a Honda rep yesterday who actually took my complaint.
    She was respectful, asked for the VIN, my name and address and said that they would keep tabs.
    Don't know if this is true, but it is a totally different response to last year when I was told that no one had called about this issue.
    I was told that, should there be a recall, I would probably get reimbursement on the parts only since I take my auto to an independent mechanic; I was told that , should there be a recall, I would have potentially gotten everything back had I had the work done at the dealership.
    It makes me wonder whether Honda is beginning to realize that we the customers are angry and they need to do something.
  • beesquaredbeesquared Member Posts: 6
    I wonder, if you feel the same way about this issue now. Just curious. I get posts every day from this thread after I made my post. This is insanity! Just saw this post as I was meandering the earlier ones, and it made me wonder...do you still feel the same?

Beth
  • zinc6824zinc6824 Member Posts: 9
    I spoke to the Honda rep too who claimed she has never heard of this problem. i called her out on it by asking her to do a search on Google for "Honda CRV AC problems". I even told her that i found out about calling Honda America through the forum to get the job covered or discounted. The service rep at my dealership himself said this is a known issue. My local mechanic has done about twenty such jobs. He knew what the problem was before i could even tell him. Honda is just giving everyone the run around with their BS stories.
    Hondaguy17, can you share with us your information about a service bulletin and the correct way to fix the problem? How and where can we access this bulletin or information? It would be really helpful to know this. Thanks!
    I don't think there really is a permanent fix. I think the design is flawed and it is too expensive to develop a new one and replace them.
    I don't believe there is a permanent fix either. I was just hoping that there was some official acknowledge on the part of Honda that the problem exists, that it is a system design flaw, and that they offer some reparation. Just dreaming, I guess.
  • 96accord96accord Member Posts: 20
    Honda HVAC engineering is not the best and rather poor. They use good quality components, like Denso compressors but their engineering is very poor. If you do put in new compressor insist on Denso or Sanden. These two are OEM to most manufacturers even the reputed german names. The japanese have mastered the art of mass producing the best compressors in the world but Honda has not mastered the art of designing the best HVAC system.
  • crvgwynncrvgwynn Member Posts: 1
    Just one more compressor explosion here too. I can't believe there are SO many postings, SO current, and dating SO far back! I'm so depressed to find out that the car I have no choice but to keep for as long as possible is going to be sweltering for my kids and I for the duration, with no ability to defog in the rain or summer humidity either. And we have a 7 hr drive this Friday. Ugh. 2002 CR-V with 139k btw. Bought it as a certified pre-owned in 2005.
    Was hoping like crazy for some kind of belt issue or something only to hear at 5:00 after being w/o a car all day the dreaded words "compressor came apart, need a new one plus clutch, filter and dryer assembly"... $$$ to repair of course. Since repairing it simply isn't an option, I had to pick it back up, AND pay $100 for the privilege of finding out I can't afford to fix it. An fyi to others in case you hear this: I was told it blew up because there was "too much freon in the system". What they put on the invoice: "system overcharged, remove to correct amount of R134A." I asked how this could be, since I'd had it for 5 years and never had anything done to the AC. They said it must have happened prior to my buying it. Uh-huh. I was going to take it somewhere else in the morning, but after innocently doing a search to see if used or rebuilt compressors really do exist (mechanic said no), I saw this site... and now I'm feeling like getting a second opinion is probably irrelevant. Might get a different repair figure but I can see it's still going to be impossible. Suppose I'll try calling the Bel Air Schaefer & Strohminger where I got it, but since I haven't used them for any work since I bought it (no loaners), I'm not optimistic! "Misery loves company" I suppose but this is ridiculous!
  • macawpamacawpa Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Thank you all for your posts - it allowed me to go in fully informed upon my experiencing 2004 CRV AC system dying. If there is anyone who has specifics as to service bulletin, please post - nothing found on web and dealer says none although they may not divulge as that would document and indicate Honda recognizes there is in fact an issue. My 2004 CRV compressor bit the dust about a week ago and I did in fact see metal shavings within compressor line filter. My estimate (Chicago Metro area) was higher than any I have seen posted and needless to say I was floored. However armed with info. from here and other sites, I told dealer going in that if this was the problem stop and I was going to contact Honda. I did, did not state a desired amount and received compensation down to a lower amount than I have seen posted. Now I have owned the vehicle since new and this is my third consecutive Honda. I am proceeding with full system replacement right now so hopefully it will work for a while. Will it enter my mind as far as trading the vehicle or selling it in sooner ?? probably - I would not want to go through this again. Fortunately I have a second vehicle but CRV will have been at the dealer for 8 days w/no loaner of course.
  • compressorx2compressorx2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2004 Honda CRV because I was told and also read that Honda makes good cars. Two years 9 months and 30, 000 miles after I bought it (Aug 2006), the compressor blew up. Luckily I had 3 more months under warranty, and the entire a/c system was replaced new for a total of $3200 I was told. 30,000 more miles and two and a half years later the compressor blew up again while on vacation under 100 degree weather-June 26-July 4, 2010. Brought it back to CT and was told I needed to pay the whole thing. After several talks, I was told, I needed to pay $1300. Still no good. Why should I pay for a record on a defective product -Compressor Keihin 38810-PNB-006? If it had been another major part of the car, I could understand. But in 30 years of owning vehicles, this is the second time I have problems with the a/c, both times with the same Honda vehicle, both times within 4 years. What are the chances of that? I am still waiting for Honda to do the right thing. These compressors are defective and I should not be paying for bad workmanship. I still hope that Honda chooses manufacturers that build products that last more than 3 years or 30,000 miles. I am sure that Honda still is "striving to create and produce products of the highest quality.."
  • karlfredkarlfred Member Posts: 1
    Well, now that I'm not alone, I don't feel too bad (NOT!). Our 2003 CRV just lost its AC system on July 5. Same compressor meltdown that corrupted the entire system. We have 57k on it, and the extended warranty ran out 2 1/2 months ago (Arrrrrgh!). Our dealer wants $3400 to replace the system. Spoke with Honda today, and am supposed to get a call from a case worker within 48 hours. Hey, this is Michigan. How much do they think we really need to use the air up here???
  • beyondoilbeyondoil Member Posts: 15
    If you search previous e mails there's an opinion that the problem is in the condensor as opposed to the AC compressor. Apparently the flues in the condensor are too small and under certain situations the compressor can be pumping liquid freon instead of gaseous freon. This causes it to blow apart.

So I don't know if I have my terminology correct on the gas vs liquid but this was pointed out by a Honda mechanic a long time ago.

PS I sold my CRV but told the buyer of this website. I had put in an aftermarket AC that I bought off E bay. It was working fine when I sold it.

Daniel
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    A fix could be as simple as placing an additional fan in front of the condenser to force more air through it to further facilitate heat transfer
  • majormetmajormet Member Posts: 1
    A/C failure. CRV 04 . Local mechanic gave my Technical Service Bulletin (TSB#09-076) ISSUE DEC 3/09.....not a warranty issue but a goodwill application....

Air Conditioning Tech and I had a good laugh..
  • pspmacpspmac Member Posts: 13
    Don't hold your breath, Honda has no intention of doing the right thing! My AC system self destructed last weekend. The dealer tried to charge me $2000.00 and didn't even bother to mention that Honda might offer some assistance. That assistance was 25%, I don't think so. If your AC failed go to www.honda-lawsuit.com it seems Honda continued to sell CRV's with defective ac systems but didn't mention a word to their customers about it. I am so angry I have printed up letter and am putting them on every CRV I see. Honda just screwed the wrong consumer. :lemon:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Honda continued to sell CRV's with defective ac systems but didn't mention a word to their customers about it

Isn't that the same as what they did with transmissions in various related cars? Some are slow learners?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• wzly99wzly99 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks so much for posting the TSB number, majormet! For anyone who's interested, I found a link to the bulletin posted by a member of the HondaSUV.com forum.
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-076.PDF

Link to post:
    http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showpost.php?p=420909&postcount=629

I spoke with my case reviewer at American Honda today. Hoping to get a little compensation for the $3069 complete A/C replacement (2004 CR-V, 60k mi).
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " Bye bye Honda!"

" I am done being a victim to car companies"

Do you expect cars to never break or have problems?
    "Do you expect cars to never break or have problems?"

Do you expect companies with pretty obvious defective designs to fail to stand up to it?

This used to be a strong point for Honda. Now they will end up like Toyota down the road losing their ability to get a premium margin on their product. They are both repeating the errors GM made in the past.

Say Mr. Honda, take a look at some of the more common Honda blogs here. Let's see:

CRV A/C
    CRV differentials
    V6 transaxles
    VCM oil consumption

These are all major issues with potentially big dollar repair bills. Maybe some of the new Ford and GM isn't all that bad these days? Keep it up and it may not be all that long before Honda finds itself like Toyota falling in surveys and reviews. Those Toyota sales people never thought it could happen to them either.
    First of all, I officially retired from the car business last month so I really don't have a dog in this fight.

One day, a couple of years ago, I had a customer tell me that she had heard that CRV's have massive, widespread AC compressor problems.

Now, granted, I was in sales but because of mhy extensive automotive background I communicated all of the time with the guys in our shop. I immediatly went out and asked the Service Advisors, a few technicians and even our Honda Rep.

Believe me if you want, but all I got were puzzled looks! Thjey all agreed that they had no idea where the bad press was coming from and they said that, yes, from time to time, on a high mileage CRV, an AC pump could fail but CRV's weren't any better or worse than any other Honda. I believe the CRV shares the same compressor with Accords and Elements.

A couple of months later, I asked the same question and received the same answer. You have to remember that forums like this one attract the people with problems like a magnet.

I guess my question is just how long do people expect a A/C compressor to last?

I don't think a failure at 100,000 miles is a "defective design" Do you?

As far as the other things you brought up.

CRV differentials - If the dual pump fluid is changed every 30,000 miles, there won't be a problem. I think the owner's manual should state this instead of the 60K they reccomend.

V-6 transaxles? do you mean the automatic transmissions?

Yes, on a few years, especially on Odysseys a higher failure rate than one would expect from a Honda product. Most were fine (if not abused and maintained) but quite a few weren't. to Honda's credit, they went WAY beyond their warranty program to make things right.

VCM oil consumption - never heard of this.

My only point is ANY car will wear out and have problems from time to time. People expect Hondas to be perfect and run forever and when they fall short, it's a bIG deal!

" Maybe some of the new Ford and GM isn't all that bad these days"

Maybe...I guess time will tell. I give a lot of credit to Ford for the progress they have made. GM doesn't impress me.

Lastly, you are dead right! Honda can't rest on their laurels. There is intense competition out there and they have to stay on top of their game.
    update 2007 CRV, Honda does not stock the parts to fix the 2007 CRV AC issues, so I cannot fix my car. Buyer Beware of HONDA, no support, no parts, no call backs. I thought auto companies must supply parts by law for 15 years, NOT HONDA, DOT BUY HONDA. I have rported this issue to BBB, Consumer affairs and fox news. Honda 800-999-1009 ex 117742 good luck they could care less until the layers come out to play!
    Congratulations on your retirement. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I agree that after 100K it should normally be the buyers nickel. Problem is that most of these posts on CRV A/C are below 100K. I think Honda is making a mistake on this matter. As a Honda owner, I'm also a bit troubled by the apparent inconsistent response Honda is giving customers on this issue. Honda customer focus was a big driver in why I purchased and paid a premium for the two I own.

There are blogs on the oil consumption problem. Seems to be latter model Odys.
    Not too long ago, it was unheard of for a car to go 100,000 miles without major work being done. I guess now it's expected that a car should be trouble free for at least that long.

I honestly believe that these AC problems are being hugely overblown in forums like this.

Life isn't always fair. If the A/C blows in our CRV, I sure won't be happy but I won't wring my hands and blame Honda.

As far as being consistant, I know Honda bends over backwards for loyal customers. If a person takes theirHonda to Quickie Lubes and skips reccommended services they won't be as receptive as they would be for a loyal customer who uses their dealer and as a result has complete records of taking good care of theri car.

I don't blame them for that. It's just smart to take care of loyal customers in any business!

I have watched Honda time after time go way beyond what they have to do to keep a customer happy.
    There is no "law" about how long a car manufacturer has to stock parts and you are dead wrong to state that Honda doesn't stock parts for a three year old CRV.

Did you mean a 1997?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The last time I looked into the parts issue (several years ago now), there were some warranty regulations floating around that indicated that a car manufacturer would have to stock necessary parts in order to service warranty claims. Never found anything more than that.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It could be worse... If you had a 2003-2005 Land Rover Freelander, you can't even get engine replacements..

It turns out... most of them need one, eventually.... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

As troublesome as Land Rovers are, NOTHING is worse than a Freelander!

Didn't know that about the engines. I guess a bad engine would total the car?
  • macawpamacawpa Member Posts: 3
    We are not talking merely one component failure here. We are talking about one or more component failure(s) I believe in most if not all instances that results in the entire AC System having to be replaced.
    I for one, had no serious complaint about compressor failure at 68,000 miles on my CRV. I also told my Service Advisor that if the problem went no further, proceed with compressor replacement. I was called back and told metal shavings were in entire AC system, all having to be replaced at a cost of $4,500 to which I said 'No'. Enough said?
    I had to take up the fight with Honda America. I will have had my car in the shop for 12 days (update - won't be done until Monday now). I was offered no loaner or courtesy car. Service Advisor at the dealer told me there is no Service Bulletin which is wrong whether they lied or did not know as there is. I work for a company that imports products from our factory in Japan for resale to a ginormous customer here in the U.S. Have we encountered defective components? - yes. Have we corrected problem immediately upon recognition at no cost to the customer? - yes. Is that being done here? - no. The posts date back to at least 2007. Honda America did take care of me with this car and instance of issue to my satisfaction. I had hoped to keep this CRV for several years yet but now will always fear reoccurence of issue and will likely sell within a year or two.