Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• theplumbertheplumber Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for response. we also have a 08 FIT and wondering if we can expect the same thing to happen with it.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    edited September 2010
    If you've had your car serviced regularly by Honda, I'd first take it back to them. Honda has consistently assisted people with A/C failures when they have a service track record with a dealer even when the car was well past the warranty.

Last month a friend's A/C failed in his 1997 Accord for the second time. (The first time was also past the warranty). Still, in a 13-year-old car Honda paid for the parts, about 50% of cost. As far as he's concerned, Honda has a customer for life.
  • bobbytrav2002bobbytrav2002 Member Posts: 5
    Greetings,

Got a strange noise with my 2002 CR-V emanating from the AC compressor the other day so I brought it to my local Honda dealer where it's serviced. They charged $130 to diagnose the issue and said I needed to replace AC compressor, belt and includes a evac/recharge for a heart stopping $1875!!! I got some other local quotes (non dealer) and the best I can get for the service by anybody reputable and certified mechanic shop is around $1500. I am told the parts alone are around $1000 and a half day labor is involved.

I was such a fan of Honda and this just makes my blood boil with frustration. I bought this Honda new and it has only been dealer serviced and well taken care of since new. I also own a 96 Accord with 135k miles and the AC never had this issue. This does not seem like a part that should be failing at 86k miles on a Honda. Especially considering the part cost and labor time involved.

I believe this is a safely issue because to defog the windows inside quickly, the AC needs to be used. You will be driving blind, especially at night.

I have read posts to join class actions and call Honda corporate. I will try to go to Honda corporate first. If they do not help then I will have no choice but to join a class action and report this to the NHTSA and I will never buy another Honda again! There is no way I am going to pay for this. I was figuring like $5-600 but $1875? Not in this lifetime.

Has anyone had success with getting this issue covered by Honda?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I was figuring like $5-600 but $1875? Not in this lifetime.

You can buy the parts on-line for $600 for the whole kit. Replace the parts your self, and then pay someone to evacuate and recharge for $60-$100.

Otherwise, I don't see how any business can survive when the skilled labor rate is high.

My A/C died last week. But, I did not hear any loudn noises or anything. Charged the system with leak detector, and went over with a UV light. The condenser sprung a leak because the front cross member, aka bumper support rail, somehow got pushed into the consender. I suspect that someone with a hitch backed into me when parked, because I have never hit anything with the car, nor there is any damage to the bumper.

Bought the condenser and bumper support rail from rock auto for $133 shipped. Will replace this weekend and have an a/c shop evacuate and recharge the system.
  • pspmacpspmac Member Posts: 13
    Don't waste your time calling Honda Corporate, they could careless about your problem. I tried to deal with them and had one of their representatives tell me to be quiet before I stuck my foot in my mouth.

www.honda-lawsuit.com
  • donc12donc12 Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of dissatisfied Honda customers. My 2002 CRV (bought brand new) blew up the air conditioner after 57,000 miles the first time. Now, another 57,000 miles and 3 years later, the air conditioner has blown up again. The first time I had purchased an extended warranty and it covered most of the over $3000 repair bill. This time we tried to get Honda to help out and they refused to even consider it. I will never purchase another Honda. I used to think they were top quality. I have no idea with all the recalls and problems lately with various vehicles, what I will purchase the next time but I don't plan on keeping this Honda very much longer. I wouldn't recommend anyone to purchase a Honda for quality and customer service. This company does not care about the consumer anymore.
    I called Honda America and got a case ID number from the fist rep. The next day a case manger called me back to discuss my concerns. I stated how I like Honda and have been a long term customer, how my CR-V was dealer serviced since new. I do not live in an extremely constant hot climate. I let them know that I believe this costly part should not have failed with this many miles and a well taken care of Honda from the dealer. The case manager asked me what was I looking to get % wise for the cost of the repair. I let him know I wanted Honda to cover the cost for the part ($1000) and I would cover the cost for labor (5-$600) and I thought that was fair as the car is well out of warranty but I felt the part is still defective. He was then direct and stated that was not going to happen. Honda would only pay 20-30% of the total cost and the dealer would give me warranty pricing instead of retail. Dealer retail for my repair was $1875. I did state to him that I was aware of the class action building out of New Jersey and saw a lot of posts from people online with the same issue but was trying to work it out with Honda as a first step. By the way the phone call was being recorded on their end.

Honda is working with my local Honda dealer to come up with a final price to quote me. I will then make my decision to fix or join the class action. I'll post another update when I get final pricing from the dealer.
  • old_redold_red Member Posts: 6
    " I will then make my decision to fix or join the class action. "

I don't think it's an either/or question. Even if you fix it, you should try to join the suit to recover any repair costs.

I wonder if anyone has received a response from the law firm promoting the suit. I filled out the website form in early August and haven't heard anything from them.
    I registered on the class action lawsuit website at www.honda-lawsuit.com . It took awhile but I finally got a response requesting that I fax them a copy of the service estimate with the Honda Dealerships comments on them. Sent those off last week. I am sure they are a bit behind as I am hearing of more and more A/C systems failing everyday. I have made a point to stop every CRV owner I see in Palm Springs, it's the same story, a $2000 repair. I then give them a copy of the press release on the lawsuit and the online address to register. Honda either doesn't have a clue or does not care how angry their customers are. :lemon:
  • nancybethnancybeth Member Posts: 1
    If they would have done that for me I too would have been a customer for life. But my 3rd one failed after a few years and they apparently don't care if I buy another Honda or not.
    I got a call from the my Honda dealer. With the combined % discount from Honda America and the dealer's lowered from retail pricing my cost went from $1875 to $827. Not bad for a 10 minute phone call to Honda. I may still join the suit to try and recover more of my cost because this does not appear to be an isolated issue after reading many similar experiences here on Edmunds.com. But who knows when the class action will be settled though. It could take years.

If you want it fixed and get a major discount from Honda my advice would be:

- Call Honda America customer service and get a case ID #. (800) 999-1009
    - Case manager will call you back within day or two. Be ready with your information and be civil and nice on the phone but stick to the business of getting your costs to fix drastically lowered. Explain that you like Honda and want to stick with them but this repair is really costly, unexpected and all you want is to get a fair resolve. Ask for warranty dealer pricing and at least a 25-30% discount on top of that direct from Honda. Honda does treat every case different in the fact of looking at factors such as if you service the car at the dealer, miles on the car, year and what part of the US you live in as far as extreme heat. But the main thing is seeing if you are loyal to the brand as a customer. They like that and will try to help you if you are.
    - If you agree with the initial discount, the dealer will call you with the final pricing the next day and you can then decide to fix or not. I believe they will also give you a few weeks at minimum to think about it.

Good luck. A phone call could save you $1000 like it did for me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    But who knows when the class action will be settled though. It could take years.

And at the end of all that you may get a coupon . (MSNBC).
    Consider yourself lucky, it almost sounds too good to be true or you work for Honda. Your experience is a far cry from most on this board and on the Topix site, Honda USA's call center was down right rude when I called. In fact the young lady I spoke with got called on the carpet for how nasty she was on the phone. Getting a case number means nothing, mine was elevated to the so called Presidential level two months ago and haven't heard one word. Honda may have given you a deal but most are not so lucky, in fact some have been charged over $3000 for repairs to a system that is clearly defective. As far any settlement I have read the suit, don't think coupons will be the award.
    And at the end of all that you may get a coupon

We all know the attorneys are the real winners in class actions. $2 million for this latest case. Honda Settles Class-Action Suit Over Brakes
    I do feel lucky but still not great that I even have to pay $827 seeing this part is defective. But since the car is almost 9 years old this November, I can't complain much because I have never had any big ticket service items to pay for. Only regular maintenance stuff like fluid changes and brake servicing.

I would still give honda another call and explain your situation and let them know you have been loyal to the brand and a good customer and just want a fair resolution. $3000 sounds nuts to fix this issue. Heck you can have an engine rebuilt for that much.
  • gerolsteinergerolsteiner Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem on Sept 10th. 59500 miles on a 2004 CR-V EX with all work done at the dealer and a 60000 mile tune-up 6 weeks ago. The a/c silently stopped working so I took it in today and BAM $2000 to fix it. I called Honda America, got a case #, then gave the local honda service shop the case # and they said they'd cover 50% of the bill.
  • rrubyyrrubyy Member Posts: 19
    GET RID OF IT ! ! ! !
    Feb, 2010 boot cracked on rack & pinion - Honda does not make a replacement boot, had to replace entire rack & pinion system.
    My a/c imploded May, 2010 at 52000 miles - $1800. Honda reimbursed 50%
    1600 miles later, it went out again - luckily covered under warranty.
    500 miles later it stalled out, emission repair light came on.
    Not putting another dime into this car.
    Got $9,000 trade in on new 2010 Toyota RAV 4 ($21,700), net cost $ 12,700

How many more $1,000 repair bills are you going to pay while your trade in value continually decreases? They won't give you anymore trade in value because you repair the car ! ! ! ! !

There will NEVER be another HONDA product in my garage.
  • capellettcapellett Member Posts: 1
    Just to add my two cents. I drove a 1999 Honda Civic, purchased used in 2002, until the AC compressor went out on it in 2006. I was driving it home from work and it made a terrible noise and started blowing hot air. Knocked the spark plugs loose. To replace the whole system, $1200. At the time, I had no hopes of saving that much money so for four years, I drove that miserably hot car in Florida. There was so much else wrong with it that was unrelated to it being a Honda that once it reached around 150,000 miles, I sold it to a junk shop and bought a used 2004 Honda CRV.

Should have read this forum first. I bought the car used in July 2010. It was in fabulous shape. Took it to an independent mechanic, and he said it looked great. Had 67,000 miles and well maintained. Made my first payment this month. Today, I turned on the car and the air struggled to turn on, then started making a rattling sound. I snapped it off and took it to a mechanic. The compressor is going, and so is the bearing. I can drive it with the AC off, but it'll be a matter of time since when the engine runs, the bearing is going too. Once that blows, my belts will go. I'm looking at a $1500 repair bill on a car which, albeit 6 years old, I've owned for all of 3 months.

I don't have many options here. I didn't buy my car new, and therefore have no relationship with Honda. The dealer where I bought it offers a powertrain warranty that doesn't cover the AC. No amount of pampering the car would have helped. I need to somehow find the money - not quite sure how, but I also have an auto loan on the car now and have quite a bit to go until it's mine. Can't exactly trade it in.

It could be a coincidence, but now I've had two Hondas, different models, different generations, same problem. Seeing as how I live in Florida, I can guarantee my next car won't be a Honda - not with the strain this weather puts on that construction.
  • mjgirardmjgirard Member Posts: 10
    My 2006 CRV A/C died August 1st while my wife was driving it. She said the engine area made a huge bang and then no A/C. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for $1500., luckily we purchased an extended maintenance agreement so it was no charge. But, as for the dealer they played dumb really well when I mentioned that all over the web there were reports of bad CRV A/C systems. I am tired of all of the car companies of being liars. It is about time they told the truth and offered some assistance on a bad design. I use to be an ok Honda fan, now I could care less if they sold another car. (Like they really care). As for CRV, now I have to worry how long the new A/C system will survive in Virginia with our heat.

Side bar note: I know the two vehicles mentioned below really are not compared to each other but my 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe has only been in the shop once for dealer warranty work, and I bought this brand new almost 10 years ago. My 2006 CRV has been in 4 times for items that should last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Certainly not considering Honda the next time.
    MJGirard
  • onslaught51onslaught51 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to post my disappointment and dismay with Honda CR-V. I just replaced my A/C system for the 4th time, (luckly the the 2nd and 3rd times were free due to still being under warranty from the 1st time) each time the quotes from independent shops and honda dealers have ran from $3000-$4000. This isn't cheap. And i'm tired of having to replace the a/c system. We live in the desert and this is a needed system. I'm ready to trade in or sell this massive waste of money.

Disappointed with Honda.
  • dhamernikdhamernik Member Posts: 8
    Hi all, been trying to read through the posts here. Have a 2007 CR-V with 22k miles on it. The car has been making a loud obnoxious whistling noise nearly every time the AC is on. It doesn't happen constantly or every time, but it does. I have taken it twice to a dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. I am now 8 days out of warranty and I am hearing from a mechanic friend it's probably the compressor and/or extension valve. I can't afford to fix this problem outside of warranty. Is this normal under the 3rd gen CR-V? Who is everyone filing complaints with? :( :confuse:
  • jim442jim442 Member Posts: 6
    My 07 whistled and of course Honda claimed they were unable to find any problem. My AC went out at 48K and I just had it repaired at an independent shop. In your case, I would be taking it in to Honda again and really play up the the severity of the symptoms. Have as much prove as possible that the condition existed during your warranty period and shortly afterwards.
    Remind the dealer that you have had AC problems during your warranty and that THEY were not able to find or repair them. Now the symptoms are getting worse. Ask them straight up if they are going to cover an AC repair since the AC has been reported twice under warranty. If the AC whistle has been accompanied by any other strange noise, be sure to mention that.. When your AC fails, you will be able to show that the problem started during your warranty period and progressively worsened before the failure.
    Good luck..
  • kgutendorfkgutendorf Member Posts: 3
    The blower on my A/C and heater until isn't working. I will turn it on and nothing will come out, or it'll work for a few minutes then just stop. Does anyone know if this is expensive to fix? I've never had that happen to me before. I own a 2005 CR-V.

Thanks!
    Kim
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Sounds like it might be a resistor in the heater switch. Have you tried any higher speed? Usually the slower the speed, the quicker these resistors blow out.
    Not expensive I don't think if that is the problem.
  • janiceingajaniceinga Member Posts: 5
    I had my blower stop working about a year ago on my 2002. The shop said it could be the blower motor or a smaller part (transistor maybe). They said they wouldn't know until they got in there. Well, it was the smaller part and it was not expensive to fix. I know it was well under $100.
    Yeah I tried everything. I hope you're right and it's not expensive! Thanks so much!
    That's great to hear! I hope mine is that inexpensive also. I know that once I drive on the highway I can feel some air, so it just seems like it wants to work but something is blocked or losing power. I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks!
    Kim
  • schondaguyschondaguy Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the status of a class action lawsuit against Honda re: the 2004 CRV A/C compressor problems?

Thanks!
  • rod60rod60 Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased five Honda's since 2002. I finally convinced my daughter to switch from Toyota. She too bought a CRV. Now after 60,000 she has a $1500 bill to replace AC compressor and clutch. After reading all of the ifnormation in this blog I agree with a previous responder who says Honda is taking the Detroit approach to this problem. Getting ready to purchase two new cars this coming year but now have my doubts about the Honda's if this has been a continuing problem with no fix.
    It does seem to appear that Honda is taking a sweep-under-the-rug hope/stance with these poorly designed and mfgrd compressors, which compound the actual repair cost due to the type of failure experienced because little by little they contaminate the rest of the system (over 4 times the cost of the compressor) and by the time your compressor fails and tells u you have a problem, the system has already been contaminated. And failure to replace the entire system basically, re-contaminates the new compressor and the cycle repeats itself only at an accelerated rate the next time around.

What puzzles me is whether the 07 CRV and newer failures are actually design failures or just very infrequent one-offs. The failure rate tho, of 03's 04's etc and to a lessor degree 05's and 06's, are so high in number that it is an obvious design flaw, because so many have failed long before wty miles expire even. Customers who lose out are the ones who don't drive as much and run out of wty time, before wty miles. IMO Honda should honour those customers claims as readily as the ones who claimed wty in time.
    It is generally acknowledged that some cars didn't fail until over 100k miles (altho not very far past) but the VAST majority have had failures around 45 to 50k miles and some as soon as only 40k miles. When many other mfrgs compressors last well over 200 to 250k miles without failure, it certainly does point a finger with conviction to Honda. I have read this entire thread, (and others too) every word and i do believe that because some cases were handled so poorly (i.e. once loyal customers getting 'some $ help', ranging to completely getting ripped off) it has cost them customers. Many have vowed to never dark any Honda sales floor again. And who can blame them?

The general message here is: Honda better not keep sitting so self-righteously comfortable on their laurels just because...for now anyway..some of the negative attention has been on Toyota. Mazdas were rusting prematurely in the early 2000's and that cost them customers. Ford and Chrysler have lost many due to bad autos and head and exhaust manifold issues, and do i even need to mention some of the cr&p GM has been trying to sell us thru the 2000's?
    My message to Honda would be to not get too comfy. And follow their conscience and do the right thing without making people have to be aggressive or threatening in order to get them to do the right thing. Knowing what, and doing the right thing is not complicated.
  • essbeepessbeep Member Posts: 2
    I don't know of any but i have a 2001 honda CRV and had to have the A/C compressor replaced at 36, 000 miles! now the blower motor is out.
  • essbeepessbeep Member Posts: 2
    i had my a/c compressor go out at 36k miles on my honda crv 2001; now there is a loud whooshing sound from glovebox when i turn on heat. took to a closed shop today but mechanic/owner came out and told me it's the blower motor and will cost several hundred dollars. :( shouldn't this be an easy fix? the compressor was just replaced 7 months ago for 1500 dollars.
  • nicompnicomp Member Posts: 21
    Shucks, my AC compressor locked up (2000 CR-V) at about 70K and a dealer in Florida quoted me $3000 to replace everything in the system because the nature of the failure had almost certainly polluted all the plumbing. I told him to cut off the belt (the engine wouldn't even turn over at that point) , that cost me $90, and I've been driving it for 75K since then. I can't resell it with no AC unless I ship it to Alaska, so I'm kind of stuck with it.

I won't buy another Honda.
  • nicompnicomp Member Posts: 21
    It leaks a small puddle when parked. It's not oil because it doesn't stain the driveway. It doesn't smell like antifreeze. Is it ATF? it drips down from the edge of the air dam under the right side of the engine but the stuff is spread all over the bottom of everything. Help!
    I spoke with the NJ Lawfirm handling the class action lawsuit against Honda today Feb 16th, 2011. Today the lawfirm confirmed Honda has entered into a settlement agreement pending court approval. Settlement amounts will vary according to mileage when your vehicles air conditioning system failed. Settlements would rage as low as 15% on up, it will all be based on mileage of the vehicle when the system failed.

Unfortunately for Honda Owners a new lawsuit has been filed for defects in the Honda Civic. If you own a 2006 or 2007 Civic please read the information below and go to www.honda-lawsuit.com to register for the settlement.

Mazie Slater Katz & Freeman, LLC, The Law Office of Robert L. Starr, and
    Strategic Legal Practices, APC, have filed a proposed class action lawsuit
    against Honda relating to reported design defects in 2006 and 2007 Honda Civic vehicles. A copy of the Complaint can be found here: Honda Civic Premature Tire Wear Complaint Due to the reported defects in these vehicles the rear tires on these vehicles can suffer from "cupping" and premature tire wear. Our investigation reveals that Honda sometimes denies warranty coverage for repairs caused by these defects.

Please pass this information along to all your friends and family who own a
    Honda. We all work to hard for our money to be ripped off by this major world auto maker.

My CVR was the first Honda product I purchased and it will be the last! The air conditioner cost nearly $2000 to repair, I am now on my 3rd set of tires in less than 70,000 miles (it eats them up), and the interior is falling apart.

If you are thinking about buying a Honda, think twice they are NOT the cars they use to be and Honda Motor Company has no integrity.
  • beesquaredbeesquared Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for letting us know! I actually emailed the firm this weekend seeking a reply. Haven't heard from them yet. I had this issue twice with my 2005 CRV, and paid out 1300.00 and 1500.00 respectively. I really hope that we all get some kind of relief for all our trouble!
  • texasrabbittexasrabbit Member Posts: 6
    My 2003 crv a/c has gone out three times. It had 210,000 miles, the last time, and seems to go about 70,000 miles between a/c failure.
    I forget how many thousand it cost the first time. However, the second time, a friend took me to a small shop on the other side of Houston. There they fixed it for under a grand ($). The third time - amazingly - I found a small shop just a few blocks from my house. They fixed it for under $800.
    Shop around. Make sure the repair shop will give you a warranty, good for at least three months and 3000 miles. Ask some friends to recommend repair shops. If you go to a dealer or a fancy place, you'll pay a fancy price.
  • bpollenbpollen Member Posts: 11
    Interesting that I found this post. It's time for a new car, so I'm researching CRVs as a possibility. I couldn't help but notice all these posts about the a/c and the compressor, because the last (and only) time I've owned a Honda, that's what happened to me, and caused me to buy a new car at that time. I owned a Honda Accord Hatchback. I put low mileage on cars, and I'd owned it for about 10 years, so it had I guess about 70,000 miles on it. It was going to be an expensive repair, so instead of doing that, I opted to buy a new car instead. The a/c had never been great, anyway (I live in a very hot area). So...I'm wondering if it's not a CRV problem at all, but rather, just a Honda issue. I thought at the time, though now I don't remember why, that it was the type of compressor that Honda was using. Maybe a mechanic told me that. Just not a good compressor? So when I had to buy a new car, I checked out the CRV that existed at that time (140 hp, tail door opened sideways). I checked it out twice on 95 degree weather days; the CRV didn't cool off the car in a reasonable amount of time (15 to 20 minutes), whereas other cars did. I ended up buying a Subaru Forester. NOW, though, the CRV has made major improvements, so I'm seriously considering it. But this a/c problem has me concerned that Honda's a/c problems are continuing, and that it's intentional (that is, they purposely provide low quality compressors to cut sales price). I may hold off buying for awhile, so I can test the car in hot weather again.
    You might want to think twice before you consider purchasing a Honda. In addition to the A/C problems there are also issues with tires, electrical window switches, and the interiors do not hold up well.

You also have to remember dealers showed their true colors when they played dumb and scammed customers on the air conditioning repairs. Honda USA has demostrated total lack of responsibility for major service issues. Unfortunately for Civic owners another class action has been filed due to the tire configuration. If I remember correctly the CRV is also built on the Civic frame. Personally I will never purchase another Honda vehicle due to the poor quality, service issues, and most of all Honda USA poor customer relations. There are too many other vehicles out there to consider, for a CRV isn't in the running.

Also you might want to go on line to Topix and read what other CRV owners have said about their vehicles and Honda, it's not pretty.
    To BPollen,

I do in fact rotate my tires and keep them properly inflated. There are a number of other CRV owners who will also tell you it does not matter what you do, tires do not last on a CRV no matter how well you maintain them. It's a known problem which I suspect has now carried over into the Civic resulting in the most recent class action against Honda.

My CRV is a 2003 which I purchased new from the dealer after the 2004's came out. The AC went out at approximately 68,000 miles. I previously had low mileage failures with the electric window switches, brakes, tires, and the interior started falling apart several years ago. The finish on the steering wheel is coming off and the fabric is falling apart as well. I am not hard on cars nor do I use my CRV for anything other than driving around town or going to the airport. I have all maintenance and inspections performed according to Honda's recommendations.

I do intend on purchasing a new vehicle but after the serious lack of intergrity demostrated by both the dealer and Honda USA in regards to the known AC problems, you can rest assured my next purchase won't be a Honda product. I am not going to put another dime into my CRV as it is basically worthless now.

I have a 1992 Mercedes 190E I purchased used with over 70,000 miles on it at an auction years ago. Other than a few minor issues I have had no problem with the vehicle.

A Honda NEVER AGAIN IN MY HOUSE HOLD!
    I could not have said it better myself! You are experiencing exactly what many of us have with our CRVs. You are lucky you got 18000 on the tires, that is about all you can expect. The quality of the original tires on the CRV was so bad a tiny nail caused one of my low mileage tires to blow out on I-10 on the way to LA in the rain. I almost wrecked the vehicle in traffic when it blew. I too changed brands and put on good quality tires only to have the front end eat them up no matter how many times I rotated them.

Mac in Palm Springs
    Your calling anyone an idiot for coming on here and trying to help by suggesting a tire rotation, is way outta line. We are not mind-readers. AFAIC, after reading your post, I have no sympathy for you. Karma rules its ugly head once again.

And while I do not agree that Honda (like most any other mfgr) shirks its responsibility with legitimate claims, the fact is, every single brand out there ALL try to pull stuff from time to time. Grass is NEVER greener. It is only a different shade until it turns just as brown in patches as any other.

It is interesting that if tire psi and alignment are all adhered to, that one model would be harder on tires than another. Now, it has happened, but usually only on one end (usually the front) and Ford's Twin I Beam fr end comes to mind on their 4x4 p/u trucks. But very unusual for a specific car to wear all 4 tires evenly at a fast rate. If the car is loaded with people all the time, or if you brake, corner, or accelerate aggressively, those all will cause premature wear.
    The OEM tires possibly were faulty, but what is far more likely is that that nail let the tire leak down to to too low a psi and that combined with freeway speeds is probably what caused it to blowout due to too much heat and abuse build up from having the steel cord bent at angles they were not designed to be bent at.

On the chance you want to retort without considering some of the caveats I have posted here, I have put them in bold for you.
    Hi, Don't take it personally because we have had Honda Corporate and dealers folk come on the blog acting like consumers trying to defend their shabby corporate practices and their product defects.
    Hi Tranny, thanks for the information however there were numerous consumer complaints with Honda OEM tires. In my case a nail punctured my tire and it completely came apart. Due to the fact that it was pouring rain I wasn't able to go very fast on the freeway and it was cold. If I remember correctly there were also a number of consumer complaints on Topix as well about Honda OEM tires. I would also suggest any one having tire issues with either the CRV or Civic visit www.honda-lawsuit.com . There is a new class action and if I remember correctly both the Civic and CRV are built on the same frame/drivetrain so could possibily explain why there are so many issues. Thanks for the heads up about the steel cord I will keep that in mind should I have issues on my other vehicles.

I decided not to buy another Honda not only because of my service issues but also because of the terrible way both their corporate office and the dealer handled the matter. Had they not been so dishonest and played dumb I would most likely be driving a new Honda Pilot. The week before my AC blew I had been to the dealer to look at Pilots. After my AC experience with the same dealer and Honda USA, there will be no Honda in my future.

Have a good one! Mac in Palm Springs
    Sorry to hear you are having these troubles. As for boycotting out of principle, I am all for it. Ford has been denied the right to sell me at least 5 new vehicles (plus a 2nd big truck, so that musta hurt them a little) since i gave them the chance to make it right when the paint came off my 88 F150 back in 1990. To do the honorable thing, it was not complicated. So I support your conviction if you feel Honda has wronged you. As you too have probably read, (I have read this entire thread) there sure are a lot of A/C cases where is is painfully obvious they failed prematurely and some victims who simply don't put as many miles on as quickly as others, seem to be the biggest losers.

I think it is wrong that in order to 'urge' them to do the right thing, it usually happens after they have stressed you right out with calls and letters (and literal sweat) and raised blood pressure etc etc. Some handle these negotiations a lot better than others. Usually though the corporate intension is clear. Not unlike your cell phone or internet or utility provider, they stone wall you for so long they intend for you to give up. And most do. THAT is why they get away with it and continue that strategy. They really should take some personalities more seriously. If EVERYONE boycotted and stood firm with their convictions, the mfgrs wouldn't keep trying to pull this cr&p.
  • euroisoneuroison Member Posts: 3
    Add me to, I purchased a 2005 CRV brand new off the trailer, 3rd honda since I was about 20yrs old, This one has been a let down, its the top of the line CRV AWD, leather, etc, at 41,000 the right front axle started popping, but because I made a big deal out of it on the sales floor in front of purchasing customers, they fixed it at no charge, well at about 56,000
    it started roaring bad, the rear differential oil need to be changed, who ever heard of such a crock, well at 82,000 ac blew up. House of Honda in Tupelo MS, only wants 2,780 to fix it. thats taking off off 200 as a complimentary offer for being a Honda customer. I contacted US product safety about this issue but never got a reply, maybe if more people did they would do something, when my AC locked up the front plate came off went across the interstate bouncing. Luckily no on coming traffic was there.
    but I guess someone needs to die or get injured first. But any ways. No more Honda's for me this done it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2011
    No more Honda's for me

I hear there's a new car factory up the road in Blue Springs. :shades:

Don't suppose you were around when Dudie's Diner was running?

For a while there last month I thought this issue was fading away a bit. Anyone else?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited February 2011
    Relax everyone, I retired in May after 14 years so I no longer have a "dog in the fight"

In other words, I really don't care.

Funny how our Service Dept had never heard of excessive A/C problems with CRV's. No greater failure than any other model.

We currently own two CRV's. A 2003 EX 4WD that we bought new and a 2011 SE 4WD.

The 2003 only has 54,000 miles and it has been flawless. Not one repair other than routine maintenance. Original tires still had good tread at 49,000 miles but I cut one on a piece of metal in the road and decided to just replace them all.

Rarely bother rotate them and as a hiker I take it on some rough roads. Never a wheel alignment and they wear even.

Original break pads with over 50% left. Checked last week and we have lots of traffic and hills here!

Yes, I did change my rear differential fluid at 30,000. A good thing to do.

No clunks, chirps, squeaks and the interior looks like new...well, it will once I vacuum it out again.

But, hey, if I was unhappy I woldn't buy another Honda either.

So, then what? Take a chance on something else, I suppose!
  • chicagoishchicagoish Member Posts: 7
    No issues here either
    I have an '04 for 65K, my wife has an '05 with 52K and my sister-in-law has an '03 with 85K and no issues at all.

I do know a mechanic at a local Honda Dealership and he sees CRV's with the AC issue. So something's going on, but I don't think it's as widespread as it seems to be on this site..