Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Grainger Honda in Savannah Georgia quoted a price of $3350.00 to replace all the components of the AC system following a compressor failure. I bought the car from this dealership and paid for the Honda name, which I thought, included some reliability. Very disappointed. After the 98 bucks to check it out I have taken the car home and I will live with the AC inop, until I get all the parts and tools to fix it myself. 3350 can buy a lot of nice parts and tools.

82,000 miles is decent mileage. Have you called Honda corporate (number is in the OWNER's MANUAL), just like many in this thread have done? When you call them, state what you have stated here, and see where it gets you.
  • wlttxwlttx Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone here in the greater Houston area? I would like to know who, if any, of the Honda dealerships in the area would be best for working with me and Honda on this. I have started calling some, just fishing around in general to see if they have heard of/done any of these and trying to assess their attitudes and/or rapport with me and HondaUSA and a potential for successful reimbursement. I can't afford the dealer estimate that Honda wants to start the process (I was diagnosed while having service at my "regular guy"/independent-bought my CRV at a dealer, have gotten some of my service there initially, but not lately, and not exclusively) but if that's what I have to do, then that's what I have to do.
    Thanks in advance for any leads/advice.
  • ark11ark11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 CR-V with about 63,000 miles on it. I was driving down the highway and heard some engine rattling noises and then heard something drop out of the engine. It still ran okay, but the AC no longer worked. I took it to a local mechanic to get the e-brake tightened, and asked him to check out the AC while he had it. He said the shaft broke off the compressor and it would cost $1,265 to have it replaced. He recommended I call Honda and see if they could help me out with the cost, since this shouldn't happen after only 63,000 miles.
    I called American Honda Motor Corp. and explained what happened. They asked me if there was a local dealer I take it to, because they have to work through a Honda dealer. They said they'd review my case and give me a call back.
    Two days later I got a call back, and they told me to bring it in to the dealer (which they'd already contacted), and that unless this was something they haven't seen before, they'd most likely take care of it.
    I brought it in on Wednesday morning, and picked it up on Thursday morning with a new AC compressor and everything. No charge at all. They took care of all parts and labor.
    The funny thing is, I never even asked them to pay for it...I just explained the situation and they said they'd see what they could do for me.
    I can't afford the dealer estimate that Honda wants to start the process

Honda evaluation should not cost more than 1 hour of labor, whatever the dealer's labor rate is in your area. In most cases it is $80, hardly 3 fill ups for a CR-V.
  • mikee3mikee3 Member Posts: 4
    Just had a call from my son saying the AC no longer works. Same sounds as the 1st time the AC compressor went south. Honda picked up the parts and I paid labor. My 03 CRV had 80000 miles on it when the AC went out the first time. Now it has 130K. Called the dealer and going in tomorrow then opening a case with Honda. What a crappy part!!!!! Don't get me going on the 2006 Accord brake noise and rattles they can't fix :-( I think these maybe my last Honda's!!
  • tmur09tmur09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 CRV, heard a terrible noise A/C no longer blowing out cold air. 70,000 miles no ext warranty :(
    Thanks to this forum I called Honda & opened a case, took my car to dealer & they didn't seem to care I opened a case, diagnostic for repair complete A/C system 3200.00 (metal fragments in the line) I called dealer service mgr next day & explained I opened a case & he offered to make some calls for me..within hours called back saying Honda would pick up 75% of my repairs & maybe more still working on it..Also received call from Honda case mgr next day. Can't tell you how happy I am! I may be paying 800 or so but still beats the 3200 or not having A/C in Calif in the summer. I approched everyone politely & received the same treatment back. Will stay loyal to Honda.
  • semilosemilo Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to thank this board. Our 2004 CRV experienced this same problem of a AC compressor failure. The quote for repairing it was $3000 as we out of 3 year warranty by 1 month (and we over 30,000 mileage). Because we had brought our car into the Coggin Honda Dealer in Jacksonville for all oil changes and regular service, the dealer talked to Honda and received a 50% credit. I then did research when I got home and found this board. I opened a case with Honda America under the Good Will Warranty program. I then provided this case # to Coggin Honda as well as a link to this board to show them all the problems with this part. Coggin Honda later called me back and said they would provide 100% credit for the AC repair - which saves us $3000.
  • tonybradleytonybradley Member Posts: 2
    OMG...I can't believe this. I need some help. My 2003 Honda CRV (with around 82K miles on it)has an issue with the AC as well. I thought it just needed re-charged, but it was the compressor. I took it to a local mechanic because I knew I couldn't afford Honda to do it. The Mechanic found an After Market unit (Refurbished). This has now been a long process with the mechanic I'm dealing with, but skipping the issues, here is what's going on. As I've read on the forum, this is my problem as well. When the compressor locked up, it sent metal shavings through the system, so the mechanic is cleaning out all the hoses, replacing the compressor with the refurb unit and replaced the compressor. Yesterday, I found out from a friend that he had a friend that this happened to, so it sparked me to GOOGLE the problem. I'm now seeing where folks have had good luck calling Honda and talking to them. I feel like an idiot now for taking it to a local mechanic. Because I've had this work done by a Local mechanic (and not a local authorized dealer), do I have any recourse to go back to Honda to see if they will pay for some or all of the work I have had done? Or, because I went with a local mechanic, I'm I basically screwed and this is an EXPENSIVE lesson learned that I take my car back to Honda for work from now on?
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    tonybradley,
    Contact Honda & open a case file, explain your situation, inform them that you are aware of CRV compressor issues. Get all your paperwork in order & get "your ducks in a row" they will most likely ask you to fax your repair information to them for "review"... Be courteous & polite but to the point. You may just find that you are eligable for a complete or partial refund under factory "goodwill". Good luck to you!
  • tonybradleytonybradley Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!!! I'd be happy with a partial refund. OR, I'd be happy with NO refund for the work I just had done, if they'd be willing to take the CRV into an authorized dealer and have THEM put in the new system (the one that has been fixed). I'm afraid the Refurb unit I'm having put in will just go out again within a year.

Would you happen to have the number for me to call for Honda to at least get started? I don't have my manual with me and would like to call Honda, but would like to call the correct number.

Thanks again.
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    (Honda Automobile Customer Service)
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Torrance CA. 90501-2746
    1-800-999-1009

They can direct you to the correct Dept. from here
  • grif2grif2 Member Posts: 2
    Just found this forum. I have an '05 CRV and the AC makes a kind of whistle sound when I park the car after running the AC. Is this a precursor to a compressor problem? I would really like to avoid being without AC when the temps hit the 100's. Thanks for any input.
    Just found this forum. I have an '05 CRV and the AC makes a kind of whistle sound when I park the car after running the AC. Is this a precursor to a compressor problem? I would really like to avoid being without AC when the temps hit the 100's. Thanks for any input.

Are you sure it is not the belt?
  • grif2grif2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm fairly certain it's not the belt. The first summer after we purchased the car while running the AC in very hot temps. 100's (I'm in Texas) it made a popping sound and since then it whistles after it has run for a time. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was eqalizing the pressure inside after being turned off. They of course didn't mention any problems they were having with the compressors and assured me it was normal. Any one else with this? or Any ideas? Thanks
  • sued1sued1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading the posts here since I had a problem with my A/C. I went to the dealer and they quoted me $2010.00 for the repair. They advised me I had impact damage. I inquired what type of impact and the desk person said "maybe a rock". It turns out that someone backed into my vehicle while it was parked. My insurance is going to take care of it. To my amazement, I went to the dealership body shop for an estimate and they can replace my A/C condenser and eharge the system etc.. for less than $600. How can it be that the dealership charges 2K+. I questioned the estimator if the work can be done for that amount and he said yes!! I then told him the service dept. quoted me $2K+ and he gave me a strange look and said they probably quoted me a $500 compressor and their labor rates are double. Still there should not be that much of a decrepancy!! So if your A/C is gone and Honda won't repair it, put your foot through it and see the body shop. Just don't report it your insurance company. I cannot condone insurance fraud!!! Thanks and hope this helps!!
    I have been reading the posts here since I had a problem with my A/C. I went to the dealer and they quoted me $2010.00 for the repair. They advised me I had impact damage. I inquired what type of impact and the desk person said "maybe a rock". It turns out that someone backed into my vehicle while it was parked. My insurance is going to take care of it. To my amazement, I went to the dealership body shop for an estimate and they can replace my A/C condenser and eharge the system etc.. for less than $600. How can it be that the dealership charges 2K+. I questioned the estimator if the work can be done for that amount and he said yes!! I then told him the service dept. quoted me $2K+ and he gave me a strange look and said they probably quoted me a $500 compressor and their labor rates are double. Still there should not be that much of a decrepancy!! So if your A/C is gone and Honda won't repair it, put your foot through it and see the body shop. Just don't report it your insurance company. I cannot condone insurance fraud!!! Thanks and hope this helps!!

Honda probably quoted you the whole system replacement price, which includes the condenser, evaporator, dryer, hoses and tubing. The body shop is probably just replacing the condenser.
  • vivianzvivianz Member Posts: 10
    I started this forum (#1), and I had independent shop do the work, and it was about $500, with a non-Honda useless warranty. But the shop was great and willing to work with me, and I think they only replaced the condenser and not the whole system. My AC is still working just fine, 1 year later, in south Louisiana, where I know we run the A/C a whole lot more than the heater. Also, anytime the defrost is used, the condenser kicks in. So I am not so sure everything needed replacing as Honda seems to think. And if it does, then there is a more serious problem and they should be fixing it for free, as it is a larger system that's involved, or the part itself is defective and causing more problems.
  • mtaymtay Member Posts: 1
    Last weekend my CRV's A/C stopped working, no cold air. I took it to the dealer they said the compressor seized up and in turn broke the rod. I was quoted $1,700+ for the repair. I contacted Honda America and they opened a case for possible partial or entire coverage of the repair, since I was out of warranty. They told me it would be 24-48 hrs for a decision. I then called my dealership back to tell them to hold off on repairs until I had an aswer back from Honda. 10 min later the dealership service dept called me back and said that they had spoken to their service manager and that they would do the repair at not cost to me. Made my day!!!
  • brsextonbrsexton Member Posts: 1
    Please take it in to the dealer and have it replaced if your under warranty. My 05 with only 17k miles just had the ac compressor and various other parts replaced due to the same noise. The AC was still working great, but just made strage noises like popping/squealing. Took it in for a simple check on the noise, came out with an entire new AC system. My dealership did not want to take any chances since there is such of a huge issue with these.
  • jaszjasz Member Posts: 1
    Had a problem with my 04 CRV A/C compressor, checked it out on the web and found this discussion, followed the advice of crvme3 and called am honda co. explained my situation, was given a case number and contact. I'm in So. Carolina so can't be w/out a/c so took my car to honda dealer and told them to repair it, hoping to get reimbursed by honda later. Went out of town and before I could get back to pick up my car got a call from Honda America and they said they had contacted my dealership and would take care of all repairs($1500+). My car is out of warranty (42,000 miles). I think the ducks in a row and being polite advice were v. helpful. Honda was friendly and professional and I am now a very satisfied Honda owner
    Happy to read your post. I am glad my 2 cents worth worked out for you. The method of being polite,professional & at the same time getting your point across has always worked for me. Honda is a company run by people... Human nature being what it is if you are "kind & polite" & leave out the "arrogance factor" you will be treated in a like manner. Hope your Honda provides you with many more trouble free miles. :)
  • texas2004crvtexas2004crv Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was driving yesterday in Houston, heard a loud bang, a part rattle around my engine compartment then bounced away down the road. My AC stopped working after this. I checked this forum and saw how many other CRV owners have had similiar AC problems. I took my 2004 CRV (61,000 miles) to Goodson Honda North (Houston) and opened up a case # with American Honda Motor Co (800-999-1009). The dealer has just called me back and said the compressor shaft had failed. Metal shavings in the entire AC system. Replacement of the entire AC system is required. Est. $3000 cost. Good news, American Honda Motor Co. is willing to cover all costs but $250. I believe this is a good deal, and the repairs are underway. I should be able to pick up my CRV in a day. I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this forum, and the information that is contained within. I believe that my call to Honda and filling a case with them was one of the reasons they are covering most of the repair expense. The dealership noted that they have seen this problem before, and are proactive in helping me get this resolved. I'm sure if I really push the issue I may even get the $250 back. My case is another example how an internet forum can allow others to research similiar issues (Automobile troubles) that have occurred and with the collective information be able to ensure proper response when these issues occur. I own another Honda, and I can say this CRV will not be my last. The treatment I have received so far from Honda will ensure I purchase another vehicle from them. The question I ask is why can't other automobile companies act in good faith and be somewhat responsible (There is the arguement of a recall for these AC issues, but maybe the all encompassing safety hazard is not really present?) of there mechanical issues like Honda does?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I'm sure if I really push the issue I may even get the $250 back. "

I would let matters lie and be thankful. Honda America is under no obligation to fix cars that are out of warranty, and they choose how much to cover based on their internal decision trees. For some reason yours cost $250; in other cases they funded the entire repair. Be thankful it is not 3 grand!

BTW, don't ever try to get this kind of customer service with Ford, Chrysler, or GM! We would all be deaf from the laughter coming from those corporate HQs... :surprise:
  • kaykay2kaykay2 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to thank everyone for posting their advice. Last week, my AC went out (in Phoenix, in June – 110 degrees). I was told it was my compressor & was quoted $2,300 from my local mechanic. I googled CRV compressor issues & found this site. I too called Honda of America & they had me go to my local dealer to assess the problem. Even out of warranty, they opened a case for me & agreed to pay for all of the parts – bringing $2,300 down to $525. They did ask me what I expected from them by calling them & when I mentioned this message board and what Honda was able to do for so many others, he said they’d do anything they can to help. So thank you for giving me a leg to stand on and for helping me save $1700.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's good to hear another success story.

My estimation of Honda of America has certainly gone up a few notches from reading this discussion.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    ..but, what makes me happy?

It is knowing that so many people have saved so much money by having this message board. I wouldn't be surprised if the total amount saved, just by the posters in this discussion exceeds $100,000. :D

Good deal!!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bisonmanbisonman Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of satisfied customers and grateful visitors to this site.

I faced a $1400 bill to have my compressor repaired, but I decided to do some research on the problem and landed on this board. Without this thread, I would either be without air conditioning in my car or $1400 in the hole.

Honda was awesome and covered the whole thing. I was really impressed with how quickly it was resolved, and how willing they were to consider my situation.

I owe this thread a huge favor!
  • mdm39mdm39 Member Posts: 3
    I had a similar issue as many others did. I was quoted $2500 from the Classic Honda in Streetsboro, Ohio to install new compressor & condenser units. I have had all of the work done on my 2002 at this Dealership - including those $300 "we'll check everything" maintenance that the Dealership suggests every 15,000 miles or so. My first question was why was this problem not found when you were looking over my truck from top to bottom? Why was I paying you $300??? Instead of turning on the [non-permissible content removed]-customer mode that I really wanted to, I calmly called Honda of America & opened a case. I told them I wasn't expecting 100% coverage as my truck is a 2002 & just hit 100,000 miles - I would be happy w/ 50%. They didn't cover ANYTHING. I ended up taking my CRV to a local repair shop & getting the work done for $1,400. Now that the A/C is working again I am now having problems with my Engine. The best way I can describe it is that the truck jerks while you are on the freeway w/ the A/C running. I took it back to the repair shop today & they found the same problem but are unable to diagnose it b/c there is no error when they hook it up to the diagnosis computer. They were going to check a few other things before I pick it up today, but I have to say that I will never buy a Honda again. I feel as though I have taken particularly good care with my truck & I always had the Dealership (until now) do all the repairs on it and all I got in return was an expensive repair and a screw you from Honda. So much for Honda "quality".
    "They didn't cover ANYTHING. I ended up taking my CRV to a local repair shop & getting the work done for $1,400. "

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am wondering if the year made a difference. Most of the repairs I have seen are on 2003 models, if I'm not mistaken... it is possible your compressor just failed, which happens sometimes. I think the later models are tied to specific compressor units - or at least that is my theory as to why Honda is paying for some of the repairs, but not all repairs.
    Maybe it's time you contact your state legislators:

Maryland cracks down on secret vehicle warranties
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    Honda covered parts and I paid labor on my 02 Honda Cr-V.

This continues to frustrate me to see more and more cars with the same problem ... compressor after compressor in need of repair and they still continue to deny some people repairs and give the world to others. I still feel a bit cheated by American Honda that I had to pay for labor while others had their car repaired and didn't have to pay a cent. Good luck to all the others who are unfortunate enough to be plagued by this problem in the future.

*Please refrain from making personal attacks because you don't agree with my opinions *
    Sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory result, but...
    This is why they did not cover it.

I told them I wasn't expecting 100% coverage as my truck is a 2002 & just hit 100,000 miles - I would be happy w/ 50%. They didn't cover ANYTHING.

They don't have to cover it. If you say that you expect them to cover it, they won't. Because that could lead to litigation and other expectations.

All you had to do is epxress your dissatisfaction, and expect nothing in return, and you would have gotten it. Also, the goodwill warranty depends on how many Hondas you own, or owned in the past. Why should they bend over backwards for someone who has not proven their loyalty?
  • happyhillshappyhills Member Posts: 2
    The air on our 2004 CR-V stopped cooling. The dealer says the compressor has blown and put metal shavings in the entire system and want $3000 to replace it. We are going to call Honda America as suggested in the postings. Why hasn't there been a recall or class action suit???? :mad:
    "Also, the goodwill warranty depends on how many Hondas you own, or owned in the past. Why should they bend over backwards for someone who has not proven their loyalty?"

I'm not so sure. I suspect that Honda has a list of the production runs that had "potential" problem A/C compressors, and they base their decision on that, plus fully documented scheduled maintenance, plus customer loyalty (maybe), plus how nice the person is on the phone.

They don't do a recall because it is not a safety issue.

IMHO they should do a TSB for the affected cars and get it over with. It is possible that the compressors are only possibly defective, or that it is inconsistent over time.
    I'd guess there is a magic number when it comes to mileage... and, 100K might be that number.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tsrose1tsrose1 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Bisonman,

what steps did you take that yielded such a good response from Honda? Was the dealrship awesome or was it Honda America that accomodate you?
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    I have 27k on mine (03) and it went out. I do have the extended warranty on mine and they told me they are replacing the entire system because when they just replace the compressor its been messing back up because medal get caught in the system. Hopefully it won't be no problem getting fixed I will report back when its done.
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    My car was a 2002 with over 100,000 miles when I had the repair done. Parts paid by american honda.
    Good deal!

86K and counting on my '02.. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mdm39mdm39 Member Posts: 3
    The sad thing is that I have owned other Honda's. Currently have a 2005 Acura, previously had an Accord & a Civic. Furthurmore, I have had all of the work done on my CRV at the Dealership. I am very dissapointed in Honda and will definitely not be purchasing from them again.
    I think in your circumstances I'd write one of the honchos at Honda USA and state your case. (link)
  • catahoulahoundcatahoulahound Member Posts: 1
    A/C blew at 31,000 miles and replaced under warranty. Has blown again at 59,000. Have owned four Hondas since 1984 and never had any problems. Independent garage says this is the fourth car with the same problems. Will be returning to the dealer in a week. I want it replaced at no charge and will then trade it.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Hi like I said my ac went out at 27K I did have the extended warranty and they fixed it and the entire ac system without any hassle. They did the work and now the ac works fine. The service department here in Topeka Ks. has been great so far. I hope the ac lasts a while longer this time then the previous one. Hopefully they found the problem with the ac and fixed it by now.
  • omar7omar7 Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list, 82,000 miles and compressor only putting out hot air. Let's see what the Honda dealer has to say. I printed out all the complaints from many of you. Hope this will help the case. More to follow.
  • nicompnicomp Member Posts: 21
    2000 CR-V, 100K miles, clutch bearing failed, bogged down the engine, polluted the entire system, vehicle had to be towed. Dealer quoted $3200 for replacement of entire system. I had them remove the belt for $90 and we will go without A/C for now.

I can't read all the bickering on this forum to find out if I have any recourse. Every other message is just someone calling someone else a name. If you can give me some direction, feel free to email me directly at edmundsForum@nicholsoncomputerconsulting.com. I will try to monitor the forum but I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has some useful information.

If the dealer replaces the system, are they putting in the same defective parts and can I expect another failure?

The repairing dealer said nothing about any recourse beside replacing everything. I called the originating dealership and they said they've never heard of Honda doing anything about this problem.

Thanks,

Bill
    Cincinnati, OH USA
  • redzeeredzee Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 CR-V has 86,000 miles and has been trouble free except for a few minor problems. Recently, the A/C compressor began making a low pitched grumbling sound, but it did not fail completely. The dealer confirmed that the A/C compressor had failed and would require replacement. The failure did not circulate metal in the system. I mentioned that many other customers had been having problems with this component, and they offered to contact Honda. The dealer was very familiar with the issue. In the end, Honda covered the repair parts (compressor & clutch) and I paid the installation labor ($300.00). Overall it was a fair deal.
    I can't read all the bickering on this forum to find out if I have any recourse. Every other message is just someone calling someone else a name. If you can give me some direction, feel free to email me directly at edmundsForumnicholsoncomputerconsulting.com. I will try to monitor the forum but I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has some useful information.

The information you seek is all here. If you don't have time or don't want to spend time reading this, why should someone take their time and condense it for you. I certainly can do it, but my time is not free either. I'd say, $100 for information to potentially save you thousands is worth it. However, you have Gen 1, and Gen 1 is not known to have A/C issues.
  • ctdeemerctdeemer Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of looking for/buying an 03ish CR-V; obviously used. If I have A/C issues will I have any recourse with Honda given that I purchased the vehicle used? It is not certified but I am buying from a Honda dealer. Does anyone know what the frequency of this problem is in a statistical sense, e.g. 1 in 100,000 units or a total number of units affected, etc.
  • nicompnicomp Member Posts: 21
    Thank you for making my point.
  • yikchiyikchi Member Posts: 1
    I have a CR-V 2002 with more than 80K miles. A/C went out after the 4th of July. The quote from dealer was about $1700 for replacing the compressor and the Fusebox (which blew out also). Found this thread and called Honda America and explain my problem and Honda agrees to cover 75% of the cost :)

So the little researching on this thread saved me about $1300, cannot thank anyone that contributed to this thread enough.