Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    If I were you, I would drive to the one in Alexandria. I have work done at both HBL and LR Of Alexandria, and to me, Alexandria was out of the way and HBL is just across my office in Tyson's but still worth the travel. I agree with you though no the waiting times. Since I guess there are a lot of Land Rovers in the area and just 3 dealers nearby, there are probably back logs.
  • hatton3hatton3 Member Posts: 13
    Why is it that in the USA there is no apparent market for diesel Land Rovers (or any other SUV) ? In the UK the vast majority of Discoveries are sold with Diesel engines. The Series 2 comes with a TD5 engine (which is a 5 cylinder direct injection using ultra high pressure injectors). These engines provide as much torque as the V8 at half the engine revs, do 30mpg, are quiet, clean and very durable. Even with cheap gas in the US I would still have expected a demand for the diesel option. Is this just a fashion/prejudice thing or is there something I dont know about US legislation/pricing ?
  • donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    I don't know why this model isn't here. I would have seriously considered getting one. I am getting about 14-15 miles per gallon.

I'll give you the general attitude of Americans about diesels. We don't like them. In the gas cruch of the early 80's, our then crappy car manufactorers decided they would convert regular engines to diesels and drop them in all the big cars. This was done quickly. End result, they were very crappy. They stunk, were very loud, made big clouds of smoke, had absolutely no power, and of course always broke down. This turned most people's opinions against diesels as a whole.

The only exceptions are the pickup trucks. Detroit and the big three all make great diesel truck engines.

So, in the end, very few experienced the great diesels from Mercedes and some other European car makers and only had bad ones from the American car makers. Therefore, there really isn't a strong market.

But, it shouldn't be long. Our gas prices are going through the roof now (under US standards), and so many people have SUVs. Sooner or later they'll get sick of the prices, Like ME!

I would seriously consider a diesel Disco II. Doesn't sound like there are any shortcomings.
  • sr96sr96 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

To continue the gas thread: I live in the Bay Area where a gallon of 87 went over $2.00 this week.
    Now, Discovery manual says "use 90 or higher" and the folks at the dealership (unofficially of course) - use whatever as long as it does not ping. I tried Shell 87 once and it ran fine.
    So the question is - would I be ruining anything if I use 89 or 87? Anybody has good/bad experience?

Thanks!
  • bdonelonbdonelon Member Posts: 7
    I have put nothing by 89 Octane into my 2000 Disco II when I bought it in April 2000 and have had no problems yet. I am intrigued by the 87 octane rating. There is a 20 cent difference between 87 and 92 here in Kansas City. I figured 89 was close to 90 so I use it.

Any other people out there using 87 without any problems?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The Discovery will run on 87 octane but the engine ECU will retard the timing to stop the inevitable ping. The engine has knock sensors that are very sensitive, and they will signal the ECU to retard the timing before you will ever hear the ping. Performance will suffer as will fuel mileage. If ran long enough the ECU will "memorise" the retarded settings and will run at those settings until the ECU is reset.
    Diesel Discovery's are not in the cards for the US market as sales are not deemed sufficient to require the retailers to incur the additional costs in training and equipt to service them. The majority of Land Rover retailers are stand alone facilities that do not have huge volumes to support the additional expense. With the launch of Freelander in Dec. and the new Range Rover next may, LRNA and the retailers are pretty much maxed out in getting new product in place.
  • cmc123cmc123 Member Posts: 4
    I read somewhere in this board that the 2002 Discovery II will remain the same as the 2001 and that it was the 2003 model that will have changes done to it. I believe it was posted by "tincup47". I was wondering if anyone knows what those changes will be, especially if the engine will be changed (more horsepower?).

Thanks in advance.
  • sundancer1sundancer1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am looking seriously at a Disco. The only problem I see is the dealer is 80 miles away. I am worried about small problems becoming giant ones. Is it true the LR company will pick it up and get you a loaner?

Sundancer1
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    A friend who used to live in a small town in MI had a Disco and the nearest dealership is 2 hours away. He said, they come and pick up his Disco and leaves him a Disco loaner. Can't remember the name of the dealerships he goes to.
  • discokingdiscoking Member Posts: 1
    I need some advice from the Land Rover owners out there. My wife and I just bought a 2001 Disco II SE7 on 4/28.

Yesterday, while my wife was driving, the car while in motion, bucked as a manual transmission would when you start it w/o the clutch down. At the same time the Traction Control, Anti-Lock Brakes and Hill Descent Control lights all came on. She was able to pull over and shut off the car. However, after shutting off the car, she said the car sounded as if it were still running. Eventually the car shut off completely. The car was flatbedded to our dealer and the dealer (not a service technician)told us that it was probably a faulty computer code which caused the Disco's brain-fart. He said that what they will do is run a diagnostic to find and correct/eliminate those codes.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what was the outcome?
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I have an SI Disco so I can't specifically help you. But... electrics are a common fault and I doubt there's a stored code from an intermittent connection that may have caused this.

In my SI it used to do similar things... big hesitation, lots of dash lights, POP thru the stereo... lots of WEIRD electrical things.

I traced it to the electrical box under my hood, offside at the engine midpoint. Yours may be located somewhere else. It's the main fuse box with the BIG links... 100 amps etc. I removed each one, and completely disassembled the box, cleaning all contacts thoroughly. I reassembled and all gremlins are exorcized.

My thinking is, all computerized circuits depend on clean uninterrupted power... any poor connection here will feed all subsequent circuits with poor power and you'll have weirdness.

Good luck! Don't accept a simple "we didn't find any codes."

-Bob
  • awseymourawseymour Member Posts: 18
    My 2000 II did similar things as well at about 4000 miles, it was the transmission control module, which was bad. Had it flatbedded 100 miles to dealer in Maine who replaced unit. Other then a few quirky brake warning lights caused by sensor in brake fluid tank bening messed up been OK since. Now at 12000 miles getting some cupping on front tires (Goodyears).. anyone else having this problem?
    Common problem... and I haven't seen a good explanation for it. I just rotate front to back every 5k or so and it helps. Make sure you adjust the tire pressure to specs when you're done, and take a look at the brake pads while she's got her shoes off... they wear VERY quickly.

Regards, -Bob
  • knoll2000knoll2000 Member Posts: 2
    To lease or not to lease...

Like you lucky owners have experienced at one point or another, I've too have recently caught the fever. However, reading the reports from consumer-reports, Road and Track and this very helpful message board, my dreams of driving this beast seems more like a burden.

so... are there any convincing arguments either way on the 2001 discover SE or SD series could you please share them with me. I am concerned about safety. Has anyone heard anything about the 2001 and these "break" problems. The year seems better than most but I expect time will tell.

A little love folks?Thank you in advance,
    Andrea
    Is there a specific problem with SII brakes you've heard about? It hasn't come up on my radar yet... but I'm far from an expert.

The thing about Rovers is... they're hand built trucks and if you get a bad one then sometimes it's spectacularly bad. Some seem to be flawless, others have teething problems that CAN be fixed under warranty if you're persistent. I mean REALLY persistent to the point of giving your service manager a nervous tic. I did that. I wanted to KILL my truck the first couple years but the last problem was solved just as the warranty expired and she's been absolutely flawless for almost 3 years. Not one hiccup.

And now I'm knocking on wood... Lord Lucas lurks where we least expect him...

Seriously, it's a love/hate thing and it always will be, until Ford engineers the character out of them. That will be a sad day. Ask yourself if you want a relationship with a vehicle that has a few surprises, or do you want to drive an appliance? My toaster never surprises me, but I'll gladly throw it away for another. My truck always surprises me (pleasant surprises now!) and I'll keep her till I'm too old to run the transfer case lever. Relationships take attention but they give rewards too. It's a love/hate thing.

As for safety... take a look:

http://www.landroverclub.net//Club/HTML/Main_Wrecks.htm

Regards, -Bob
    This guy crawled out without a scratch, but his truck suffered some. Still he drove it home.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I like the way they put the logo underneath the front skid plate so everyone can tell what kind of rig it is when it flips (I used to have a kayak like that....).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • knoll2000knoll2000 Member Posts: 2
    In my quest for a fun/ sexy / safe vehicle I can not remember where I saw the complaint. Possibly here. But at any rate, the driver said they lost both the ABS as well as the emergency brake while on the highway. Yikes! But as you said, every dog has its day and this Disco was having a bad one.

If I could trouble you again for your experienced advice, I'm trying to save some money on this 2001 lease but also find the ACE system and formitable feature I seem to think I need(only available in the LE series). I will be traveling on mountain Highways and feel the stablization feature might be important. Any thoughts?

-Andrea
    I have to admit, I've got zero experience with ACE. Some folks swear by it, others are put off by its complexity. Some say it's the best thing since sliced cheese for cornering enhancement but others just get used to the perceived body roll in corners (I did). This is NOT a sports car, and cornering hard enough to need ACE might eventually lead to getting in over your head in a blind turn. I admit I drive my Disco pretty sedately on the road; when I want to go fast I drive something else (grin). Others also mention problems with the ACE pump and hoses... but also say it's wonderful offroad, giving more wheel travel than the otherwise antiroll bars provide. So you see, it's a complex system with dubious (to some) benefits.

As for the brakes failing? I could see the ABS failure but not the emergency brake too... that's a cable brake actuating a HUGE drum on the driveline, working on all 4 wheels at once. Unless the cable broke....????? I just don't see it.

I'm sorry I'm not much help with this!!!! -Bob

ps: if you would like more detailed questions (and not to take up more bandwidth for these other poor readers - grin) you can write at nanuq'at'bigfoot'dot'com <---that's so the spambots don't get my address. Best regards!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The IIHS 40mph front offset crash test results for the Discovery II are available here. It received an "acceptable" in the test:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99010.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    I should have known better...

At last inspection, I had around 50% on the rear brake pads. Rears were originals - had 'em on for 75k if you can believe that, but they started squeaking a tad. As soon as I noticed this, I took her in. What a suprise!

Rears still had 20-30% left on them, but front left was metal on metal (I could have sworn the squeaking was coming from the rear!), and the right front was about 10%. So, it's new pads all around and new rotors on the front for me. If anyone else finds themselves in this situation, give Atlantic British or British Pacific a call - you'll spend about 1/2 the price of Rover Genuine parts (I hope they last as long). Even with overnight shipping, I still came out $200 less.

While it was in for the brakes, I sprung for a '50 point buyer's inspection'. Must say with 76,000 miles that she's wearing very well! Nothing real major - had to replace a couple of hoses and front valve covers are leaking a bit (I brought home the gaskets to repair the valve covers myself but it looks like a bit more work than I really want to get into so I'll take it back for that).

For the engine, they did compression checks and everything looked good there - should be able to get quite a few more miles out of her with continued maintenance.

I've been contemplating trading her in later this summer for a DII, but after they detailed her and cleaned her up (I've neglected her interior a bit lately), I fell it love all over again! IF (and it's a big if) I do trade her in now, it will be a tough decision.

Happy Rovering to all!
    wasko
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    Hi,

I've been lurking around this board for a while. It's great that there is a place where a person can find useful information.

I am totally in love with the Land Rover Discovery. I've been gun-shy because of the reliability issues but I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

A couple of questions:

- I don't know whether to go new or look for a used 1999 or 2000.
    - If I go new, should I lease or buy? I generally only keep cars two years or a little longer.
    - If I do buy used, how do I determine how late in the year the car was manufactured? I've read that the later in the model year, the better. Also, I've seen posts, that with the IN, people can tell what day it was manufactured. Is this really important? And how does it work?
    - Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with the Land Rover dealers in MA. I live very close to Land Rover Metro West and that's probably the dealership I would go to.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    It's been a while since I posted anything - glad to see "wasko" is still among us!

I'm at 19,000 miles with my '00 DII with NO problems. Brake pads are at 70%. Mileage still between 16.5 and 19.0 (highway only, at 65 mph). No leaks, no nothing (except tire cupping on front, inside edges - rotate every 10K in cross pattern). Have not heard of any brake problems, and have not missed my 99 DII with ACE at all. Of course, I drive my SUV using common sense - I know it's not a sports car ! ACE is great if you drive more aggressively than me. It's almost like driving a BMW.

Anyone going to the National LR Rally in Ouray, Co. in August (2nd. thru 5th.)? I am, and it sure is a lot of off-road fun with spectacular scenery.

I you buy a used DII, my suggestion is to go '00 or '01 - much more reliable than first year truck, or get a late 99 DI, or 98, or 97, even 96.
    Lease if you can, because value goes to hell fast. (My 00 cost $43,000 new - now it's worth @ $ 26,000). Happy Rovering to all!
  • grassrootsgrassroots Member Posts: 2
    Thinking about purchasing a 1997 or 1998 Discovery and I wan to add on an extended warranty. The 1998 I've been looking at has the manufacturers on it for 4000 more miles and the 1997s obviously come with nothing. any suggestions on warranties direct from Land Rover or some good after market ones?

Any input is helpful
  • rsv3rsv3 Member Posts: 1
    How long will they last? My 88RR had 150k when we sold it and still used no oil and ran great. Our 94 Disco has 98,000 mile and has only been back to the dealer twice. Once was a recall and at 90k miles the accelerator cable broke. The RR did require more repairs but the Disco has been great. I am considering another Disco and will read this site with great interest.
  • landinlandin Member Posts: 1
    Within the next 6 weeks I will have a new 2001 Discovery II. 2 questions, I will replace the stock tires with BFG all terrains, either 255/70/16s or 265/70/16s if they fit. I saw one at the dealer, very cool and good in the high country. Considering the motor has 188 horse, at sea level, will I lose substantial power? and 2, is there a benefit with K&N filters and a free flow exhaust system?
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    My wife and I intend on purchasing a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II. We have been doing our homework and have test driven 5 Discoveries. I noticed right away that each vehicle had it's own personality. Despite all of the negative stuff we read, our hearts are still leaning towards a Discovery purchase.

My question is about the rear air conditioning option. If I purchase the rear air conditioning option, what do I get for my $700.00? Do I simply get a fancy fan housing in the rear or is there an actual evaporator for the rear section and one evaporator up front?
    Thank you
    Steve
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    But sturdy Land Rover kept me safe

Glasgow Sunday Mail Review

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    There is a separate evaporator and fan assly in the left rear quarter panel on the Discovery with rear A/C. The rear AC is quite effective in cooling rear seat passengers.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    I haven't heard anything recently about the 2002 Discovery. It doesn't get here any time soon, does it? Are there any changes being made to the vehicle?

Thanks!
    Will have no major changes, should be available end of summer, early fall
  • kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    Hi-

I read your entry re: octane requirements. I thought the reason LR wants the 90 or 92 octane was something to do with how the gas atomizes because the higher octane atomizes at a different rate than lower octane? Correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well could be, because I'm alternating between 89 and 92 octane every other tank, and as you know, gas prices are enough to piss off the pope.

Anyway, if I stick to the 89 octane until prices come down, will it "memorize" those specs like you mentioned, or is it close enough to 90 to be alright?

Thanks for your advice.

Kim
    I haven't noticed a significant difference in price between 89 and 92 octane gas in the DC area. But if you were to run every third or fourth tank at 92 octane it should be ok.
    the ECU will "memorize" other things as well, like driving preferences. I use "3" all the time instead of "D" and was told it would eventually "learn" that, my mileage would steady out and I'd have better performance to boot. So far so good.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the information regarding the separate evaporator in the Series II Discoveries. We will be buying the Discovery and will use this forum to keep everyone who might be interested, up to date on our personal experience with this beautiful but somewhat pricey vehicle.
    I have read in this forum that it is wise to purchase the vehicle from the dealer which will be used for service. Does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with either Land Rover Glen Cove, NY or Land Rover Woodbridge, New Jersey?

Thanks

Steve
  • jackickjackick Member Posts: 12
    Okay, tomorrow is the day- we might go pick up a 2000 Discovery II with ACE and the cold climate package, bright red in color, with 9000 dealer loaner miles. (The dealer has a really good rep, and is the only one in our state) Assuming the history is available since we are buying from a LR dealer, I need some reassurance! We previously leased a 98 GMC Jimmy for 3 years and had no problems whatsoever, no brake replacements, no leaks, no fires, no nothing. Of course, everyone on our block had the same truck and there was not that "pride of ownership" one might have with a LR. We do appreciate the styling, safety features and the off road capabilites for our winters. Since we are not typically off road drivers but live in one of the the worst winter climates in contiguous North America (guess!), we thought this might be a good choice for us for commuting to work 70 miles round trip. Any comments? I really don't want my heart broken with a bum vehicle... It's this or a Yukon, guys. Hit me with your best shot!
    A simple observation based on a couple of guesses:

Let us assume you live with a wonderful woman. Being the average woman, she annoys the @#$!* out of you once in awhile, but you love her dearly. After being together awhile you have come to adore some of her quirks; others you just sigh and live with. You can't IMAGINE being with a predictable, boring woman... it's the little (not BIG) surprises that you love about her. She catches you off guard once in awhile with a nice surprise. Sometimes you get scared by what she does but over the years it's the sum of all these things that endear her to you, and you wouldn't part with her for the world.

Pretty close? Now substitute the word "Rover" for "woman" and read it again.

There's your difference between a Rover and about anything else. Take the good with the bad, wear out a set of tools doing maintenance and enjoy many long years together.

Regards, -Bob
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    The latest I read is that FORD will make the new 2003 or 2004 Disco II "Explorer based". GOD HELP US - better get your REAL Land Rover NOW while you still can.
    I'm sure there will be component sharing, as in the Jaguar X-type, which shares about 20% of it's parts with the Mondeo. But Ford did not buy Land Rover to make another Explorer, just as they didn't buy Jaguar and make an English Crown Victoria. There is too much value and tradition in the Land Rover Brand to cheapen it that way.
  • cmc123cmc123 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what changes will be done to the 2003 (not 2002) Discovery? If so, what will they be? Better horsepower? Better gas mileage? etc.

Thanks in advance,

cmc123
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    I just got a '01 SE7 3 weeks ago. It's every bit what I expected it to be. I have a couple of observations though and wondering if they are normal or not. First is the brakes. No, it hasn't failed or anything. The only weird thing about it is a clicking sound I hear plus the pedal kind of depresses itself slightly almost every time I start the car. I asked the service advisor at the dealer and all he can tell me is that is caused by the ABS "resetting" itself. Secondly, I'm not sure how I can describe it in a better way but it seems that the engine is quite noisy. It seems that it takes a while for the engine's RPM to go down so you hear the engine purring quite a bit. Actually, even when in idle, it still sounds like it is at a higher RPM. I think at idle, mine is at about 750. Is there anyone who might have the same observation? Is this normal? I truly love the car. It's neither a mini-van wannabe (i.e. ML320) or a glorified pick-up truck (i.e. RX300). I can't wait to take it off-road to see what it can truly do. I would appreciate any feedback regarding my observations.
    I have very little experience with Series II so please take with a grain of salt...

I think my brakes ('96 Series I) "settle" a bit when I start it too, I'll have to check. I doubt there should be any clicking, from the pump or otherwise. The only click I hear is from the brake light activator switch.

When I start mine from cold, I am treated to the trademark "Enormous Sucking Sound". Various opinions exist, some say it's the engine running fast to preheat the cats... others say it's the A/C supplemental cooling fans. It's not a particularly fast idle, but WOW does she roar when cold! After a few hundred yards it stops and then she purrs as expected. Sound familiar?

FWIW my base idle is about 750rpm as well.

Regards, -Bob
  • jackickjackick Member Posts: 12
    Thanks, Bob, for your response... Incidentally, I am a woman, but I simply put "man" in the example you provided and it all made so much sense! So tomorrow is the big day- 8am, at the dealer. Here we go! You know, I was so concerned about all of the negative posts on this board complaining about this and that, but after touring through a couple Ford Explorer and GMC Yukon boards.... Yikes! Those people don't even like their dysfunctional vehicles. At least in this forum, there is a sense of pride behind the occasional bitching. Now let's hope my girl is a good one! (Incidentally, she will be named Big Red!) I'll keep you posted!

FYI: According to our dealer, the Ford influence shouldn't be apparent until '06 or so... Until then, enjoy!
    Will be a good thing. For years Land Rover has been an underfunded arm of the Rover Group. BMW helped some but they were too worried about trying to stop Rover Cars from hemorraging money to really concentrate on Land Rover. Ford has done wonders with Jaguar, look at their J.D. Powers scores. Ford did not spend over 2 billion dollars for Land Rover to tarnish the marque. Everyone at LRNA is excited to be part of Ford and look forward to upgraded product that retains the hallmark of Land Rover.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little more comfortable now since it appears my observations were pretty much normal specially the roaring and purring part. I wonder what kind of feedback tincup47 can offer since he is from LRNA. Nothing better than getting info from the source.

Tincup47, would you be so kind to provide feedback for my posting? It's posting #491.
  • rj17rj17 Member Posts: 7
    Greeting to all.. It has been a while since I have last spoken to you, but I return with good news. I have purchased a 01-SE-7 with the works. I feel like a kid on Christmas day. Just a brief description of her.. she is white with beige interior, complete off road pkg,and rear air. I've only had "her" for 2 1/2 weeks.

My wife and I like many others were skiddish about the purchase of a rover. We looked at everything from ML down to Mit. Yes folks, everything !!! But there was something about that "rover" that kept bring us back. This is truly a unique vehicle. I have not had any problems with the truck, but I will keep you posted as to my adventure.

For those of you living in the S.F.bay area, there are 6 dealerships to choose from. All of which have good service, however my purchase was from Marin LR... great people.

To those of you who are out there reading this site and many others..."GO FOR IT". As for the engine.. there is plenty of go. This is a "truck" people, not a race car. 0-60 is not a factor... As for the fuel mileage.. the mileage does not compare to my "Honda". Yes, I said Honda, but we all knew that from the start.

Take care and I'll talk to you later..
  • poc322poc322 Member Posts: 22
    I own a 94 Land Rover Discovery with about 93000 miles on it and i'm considering buying a new vechile for i'm starting to have way too many problems with the disco. So i'm wondering if anyone else is having some of the same problems and what you did to correct them.
    First off my passenger door will not lock with the keyless entry system. I have to manually lock it. This has been a reaccuring problem since i bought the vechile 7 years ago, and the warranty on the work has expired since the last time they corrected the problem. In the past they used to re-ajust this and that to get it to work. Now they are telling me it will cost about $300 to replace a little box in the passenger door that has failed. A little to costly for me to do, along with the other repairs. The other problem is with the sunroofs. Apperantly the tracks are bad and need replacing. Another $275 repair. The front sunroof sticks when you try to open it so you have to push it a little to get it open, and then pull it a little to close it. They are also telling me that the rear sunroof needs the same repair so tack another 275 on. Also there is the problem of the ac controls not lighting up. I changed the bulb and that didn't work, and the service department told me that it was the electrical box that housed the light that was bad and it cost 350. Now the light is not too important, but would be nice to have.
    The two big problems are the gas tank which has a hair line fracture in it. Something i would of never thought could be possible on a land rover since they are supposed to be built to last. So i'm in the process of trying to work something out with land rover north america, but for the most part they have been avoiding me.
    The last problem i'm having is an electrical one. The car likes to die on me while in motion, and also doesn't want to start sometimes. Now the dealership can't figure out the problem, they changed the battery, the alternator, and battery cables, and a lot more. All at a high cost which did nothing to fix the problem. I think the total was somewhere around 1100 or more. So in the end over the past month and onward i'm looking at spending multiple thousands of dollars on a vechile to repair many resurfacing problems since day one of the purchase.
    So what i'm seeking are people with some of the same problems, and hearing what they did to fix them. Also i have more to share if anyone needs to know anything.
    Also if anyone has had to deal with land rover north america what their experience was.
    Sorry for the long post.
  • hatton3hatton3 Member Posts: 13
    One further observation about the rear seat aircon that doesn't appear to have been mentioned yet - it takes up some valuable space. The rear load space in a discovery is adequate (but could never be described as excessive, like in a Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol). However adding rear seat aircon removes about 5 inches off the left side of the full length of the rear load area. When 7 seats are also fitted this means the left rear seat projects quite some way into the load area. Many users wont find a problem with this but believe me with 2 dogs and all the junk needed when travelling with kids as well (push chairs, travel cot, backpacks etc)size is important. I dealt with this by removing the side seat which is now carefully stored in my garage for when the kids are big enough or use them (or I sell the vehilcle).

A few other observations as a fairly recent owner of a series 2 (but having owned 2 earlier Discoveries, an original 200 series and the revised 300 series). Undoubtedly the car is a huge leap forward in every respect. I have never had any problem with any of my Discoveries other than one gear box modification on the 300. You guys all seem to worry too much about reliability. My advice is always to avoid new models for at least 12 months after launch. Land Rover have never had the resources to properly test their vehicles pre launch so they debug them later. Having said that they are usually excellent at honouring any warranty problems. The Series 2 has now been pretty fully debugged and should give many years of very enjoyable motoring, getting you places and through conditions that would be impossible in most other vehicles.
  • 962chat962chat Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this board but have started to look in as I've been considering buying the DII. I've long been an admirer of Land Rover (from a far), but never considered owning/leasing one because of reliability and cost issues.

My question is about dealer service. I'm moving to Spokane in several months, but I need to buy a car now (my current car is a loaner). Will this affect the service I receive in Spokane because the car wasn't purchased there? Are the concerns expressed on this board in this regard just perceived or actual problems in the service? Why is it better to buy the vehicle where you expect to receive afterservice?( more so than any other manufacturer/dealer?)

Secondly, does any one have any experience with the dealer in Spokane?

Lastly, does LR vehicles have to be serviced for routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc at a LR dealer or should an average competent local mechanic be able to take care of these more basic services?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    I feel your pain. I have a 1996 Disco and her warranty ran out this past April. When you say she "likes to die in motion" do you mean loss of power or she actually stalls? For me I have noticed loss of power and a drop from 70mi/hr to 60mi/hr on the highway, the service guy at my dealership just shrugged his shoulders. I believe it is related to the fuel filter and fuel lines. Luckily, I have an excellent mechanic who listens to my every woe and assists me as needed. He agrees it is probably the fuel filter or related parts. As far as LRNA blowing you off, I read ya! First of all, if the problem with your door was not fixed(only the symptoms) then it should be taken care of by the dealer. If you have proof that any of your problems occurred while under warranty, yet they were not corrected by your service dept. then LRNA will be more likely to help you. After all my bitching, they had no choice but to extend my warranty to cover problems they did not fix when they were supposed to. Good luck...i hope my little bit helped.