Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• jk5jk5 Member Posts: 5
    after wife called to complain about paying $903, Service Manager called regional manager who decreased amount to $500 final offer, we need our car so I said yes, wife is still mad and is calling Honda America to complain, this does stink, you would expect better from Honda.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    After reading all these horror stories, I will definitly purchase the Honda OEM extended warranty when I buy my 2008 Honda CRV!!!!!
    NORTSR
  • ironmillironmill Member Posts: 8
    OK-this was deal. I had to pay $459.86, Honda America states its a case by case deal some none some pay more, unless there is a recall. DO NOT listen to any dealership for prices as they offered me this deal and will get by with what helps them(DEALERSHIP) not you in MOST cases BUT if I had waited to talk to a Honda Corporate Case Manager FIRST.....it could have been totally taken care of.
    Dealership talked to regional Honda rep, dealership called me and I verbally agreed(needed the car) Honda America will not override these Honda regional reps deals if work has already been started, so always talk to Honda Corporate office first.
    Dealership replaced compressor,clutch,solenoids,evaporator,ac filter,BG kit and flushed dryer and hoses-diagnostic included/charged unit with freon/added detection dye and is now blowing cold air(hoorah).
    I am glad to have found this site as it saved me $1000-$2000.
    Most folks I was told just pay up and do not question, these ac units which are very bad and Honda knows it. Trying to work thru CRV units with least amount possible paid back to customers-thats the way it is.Honda America stated to get back in touch, first with them, if it happened again.....lesson learned!
    Good Luck to all that has these cruddy 2001-2005 CRV A/C systems.
    I am told 2006 model CRV's have been redesigned so the problem should be fixed for future owners of Honda CRV's. I think I will wait and see on that tho.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Dealership stated warranty prices were different than retail prices....beats me...very confusing--stated that all parts were replaced BUT hoses were throughly flushed as to new Honda specs."

Well, next time get HondaCare. It is useable at any Honda dealer and pays for any covered expense, parts plus labor. You can get them with either $0, $50, or $100 deductible.

HondaCare also provides roadside assistance and towing for covered repairs.

I believe I paid about around $900 for my 7 year, $0 deductible, 100K HondaCare warranty.

Please post what kind of extended warranty you have...
    I had Honda Care Warranty bought CRV in March of 2002 from Fowler Honda Norman Oklahoma 4 years -60,000 miles- 0 deductible....cost $1500.00 all costs would have been covered IF the AC went out in this period-my CRV was 5.5 years old and 61000 miles....yikes To bad I was not offered the 7 year policy and look how much Fowler Honda dealership charged me for a 4 year warranty- there are some lessons here. I have learned them thru this experience for when I get another vehicle.
    Oh yes almost forgot... Dealership stated the A/C is warranteed for 12 months/12000 miles from date of this repair.(whoopee!!!)haha
  • tkfolstkfols Member Posts: 1
    Two days ago my wife comes in and tells me about her CRV, something under the hood exploded. Raised the hood nothing, turned on A/C, hot air. Took car to dealer. Dealer called back and stated it was the compressor but will have to replace alot of parts because of the damage........told me $3,400 to fix---a car with 53K miles. As I was picking myself up off the floor, the dealership was acting as an arbitrator, wanting to know how much I would pay and I stated nothing. I have purchased 4 hondas since 2000 and I am going to get this type of grief? Honda knows of the problem. We will see how they will handle my situation. This could be my last honda!
  • deveonte007deveonte007 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 CRV (67K miles) air conditioning compressor also failed this past labor day weekend while on a trip in North Carolina. I had to drive 850 miles back to Illinois with the windows open in 90 degree weather! like everyone else I never thought this would happen on a honda, and was shocked by the $2800 repair estimate. I called honda this past week asking for assistance and should hear word back from them soon. Its obvious after reading over 500 posts on this topic that Honda is WELL aware of the problem and I expect them to provide assistance to their loyal customers... but we'll see. I'll let yall know how it turns out.
    final update, my wife talked to Honda America complaining about the $500 deductible
  • chrismattachrismatta Member Posts: 19
    thanks.
    I did call "Corporate" first and got a case #, THEN brought it into dealership, and should be hearing from them today..
    Question: Worst case scenario - what is best response to them if they say "sorry, we cant do anything".. ?
    Take next step to dealership, or to corporate?
    First-call corporate 800-999-1009 they will give you a case number and assign a case manager, they will want you to go to dealership for estimate, after you get estimate-call Honda America back with estimate price then WAIT for corporate case manager to call YOU-dealership may call you with a deal to fix A/C-unless its for no charge wait....Wait for corporate case manager from Honda America to call and they will call, usually it takes 2 days max...if they do not call-call Honda America back with case number -someone will call be calm and firm...Honda knows they have a lot of cruddy A/C's out there in the CRV's.
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the advice.
    I should have explained better, but the first thing I did when it happened was call Honda Corporate and get a case number, then was assigned a case manager who I played phone tag/vm with, and he said on the vm that he couldnt address this until I got the estimate from the dealership, which I understand. So thats where I am - waiting for the dealership to call me with a diagnosis.
    I am hopeful, yet want to be ready for the worst if they tell me tough crap. Thanks again.
    the exact same thing happened to me, although Corporate was suppose to call within 48 hours they never did, when I called them, they said they were still deciding, in the mean time I had to negotiate with the Service Manager and the Regional Manager, since I needed my car back I had to take their best and final offer paying $500. I did call corporate back to complain and they were not sympathetic to my cause. Honda knows this is a problem, but will not admit it. Good luck.
    well, this just in.. the service manager called and said that the air compressor did fail, but there was no detail other than that. He is not very helpful at all. I asked how extensive the damage was (based on the info on these sites, it seems most people have metal shards that ran thru and destroyed the whole system..), and he said they "didnt know yet". When I asked if he spoke with corporate yet, he said "no we havent heard back from them yet", and I said "even if Corporate calls you right NOW, you wouldnt have full information for him, would you?", and he said "no I wouldnt". So I think I am going to call Corporate later today and pester them a bit.
    I'm trying to walk the line between being polite-yet-assertive and being an [non-permissible content removed]..
    Latest HondaCares go up to 120K and 72 months!
  • brookehbrookeh Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My compressor on my 2001 Honda CR-V (71,000 miles, no warranty) blew out over the weekend and I luckily found this forum yesterday. I called Honda America this morning and they told me to go ahead and take it to the dealer for a diagnostic eval. The dealer service rep told me that he could have offered me a great deal if I hadn't called Honda America first. My appointment for the diagnostic eval is for tomorrow morning. It looks like I should get an estimate and then call Honda America back before authorizing the dealer to do any work, correct? Any other advice?
    I just went thru this myself. 2004 crv w/ 47,000 miles, no warranty. They are fixing mine free of charge and I think that is the case BECAUSE I went to Honda America first. Plus, I wrote a nice, complementary letter about the fact that this is my third Honda, that I've always been happy with Honda, but I feel that this is a problem that they should fix, as an act of good will. I faxed that letter to Honda America, included a copy to the Head of Service at my dealership, included the case number that had been assigned to me.. I dont know if the letter had any influence or what, but I did get the call from the service manager where he said he had spoken with my case manager at HA and they will replace it for free.
    Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. I know how it feels, tryst me. I cant afford ANY extra cashflow going out, and this whole thing had me very worried..
  • jprimrosejprimrose Member Posts: 3
    My Honda dealer is in California: Elk Grove Honda (just south of Sacramento) to be exact.

I do wonder why some dealers are giving partial compensations to some and full warranties to others? Mileage doesn't seem to explain it. I've had this CRV serviced by Honda, and Honda alone. This is the first Honda I've owned -- but considering the service I've gotten, probably it will not be the last. I wonder if Toyota would step up to the plate as well as Honda has if a similar problem cropped up with one of their models?
    "Hi. My compressor on my 2001 Honda CR-V (71,000 miles, no warranty) blew out over the weekend and I luckily found this forum yesterday."

You are the first Gen 1 owner to report a compressor failure, I think. It is possible that you got an early model of the compressors that are failing in the Gen 2. Either that, or you are just unlucky (compressors do fail every now and then)...
    how many miles have you got on it?
    Also, have you had a conversation with HA since your conversation with the dealer?
    My CRV was the second of three Hondas that I have bought from this dealership.
    We have "some" of the maintenance done there on the CRV (8 out of 12 oil changes, for example).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I do wonder why some dealers are giving partial compensations to some and full warranties to others?

I've always heard that the manufacturers don't reimburse warranty work at the same rate as retail work. So if the customer pays for the work (or some of the work), that's more money for the dealer. If the customer pays for the whole thing, that's one less warranty claim to submit, maybe less paperwork and maybe fewer dealer warranty claims that the manufacturer may reject in an audit. Maybe a Honda tech can comment?

Toyota is still living down their engine gel problem and lots of owners weren't happy about how they handled the issue (Toyota Engine Sludge).
  • wlttxwlttx Member Posts: 3
    You are NOT the first older one to have the problem either. I have read every single post since the beginning, and have seen many different years, although the majority are around '02-'04. Mine (also an '01) went out sometime last year (maybe November?maybe before)and I am still driving it around without anything (Texas, where it was in the 80's outside in December and way hotter than that since then; and it only takes 30 mins to get to 120 inside when the temp out is in the 80s, not to mention the difficulties from the inability to de-fog when it rains,...).
    I have been extremely polite, nice, and everything else I could think of in all my dealings will Honda (HA phone, snail mail letters, fax, and dealer); but I simply could not and still cannot afford to pay for anything (not even the estimate. I am a single mom who's been unemployed waaaay too long).
    After following every post= The decision on whether to pay and how much simply has Nothing To Do With Anything! Not the year, not your loyalty or disloyalty, not your mileage, not your dealer, not your manners, not your maintenance records or lack thereof, not your gender, not the amount of your estimate (total system damage/partial damage), not whether you ever had a warranty at any time, nor whether you are the original owner. Not ANYTHING! It's random. May God go with us, that's all we can hope for.
  • michelle0128michelle0128 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I are going through this ordeal with Honda following the blow out of our 2003 CR-V's compressor. Same type of stuff that is being said in every page of this forum. We bought it in May, two days before our daughter was born, we live in Florida, it went out in early August and we were quoted $3200 from our local Honda dealership, Honda of Ocala, and were told that if we had bought our Honda at the dealership we could have had it fixed at no charge to us, but since we didn't, the best they could offer is 60%. We contacted Honda America and were cheerfully offered 50% which is still about $1000 more than we can afford so we are driving our newborn baby around in Florida with no A/C in a car we've had just over four months. It had about 56,000 miles when the compressor blew. We cannot afford this. The regional rep from Honda that my husband has been speaking with said that loyalty is the determining factor in who gets how much covered. My thinking is treat the customers you have well and they will be customers for life. We may never buy another Honda after have this type of major problem in a vehicle with such low mileage, and them knowing about it and compensating for it in such an arbitrary manner.

I'm going to be looking into a class action lawsuit, based on the information in this forum and in another thread I have found.
  • sckaosckao Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Honda CR-V's A/C compressor also blew out a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to all the information on the Net, I went to my dealership with the diagnosis and information in hand.

I have the 100,000 mile extended warranty (VSC) and it covered everything. I didn't have to pay anything and I got my vehicle back within a couple of days.

My service dealer is Walnut Creek Honda in California and they did a great job. No hassle at all.
    "I have read every single post since the beginning, and have seen many different years, although the majority are around '02-'04."

I have also read every post. OK, so now I have seen two Gen 1s, although I didn't see your earlier post (or don't remember it).

I think my point is still valid, this appears to be an issue with some of the A/C compressors shipped with Gen 2 CR-Vs from 2002-2004. Gen 1s failures are rare, and we must remember that any A/C compressor can fail and not necessarily be part of a larger problem with all A/C compressors.

That is what I meant by my comments.
  • sulynnsulynn Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 CR-V with almost 160,000 miles on it...after it's been running a while, when it sits at idle, the A/C makes a "clunking" sound. If you speed up the engine? the noise stops.

The A/C belt has been tightened and it made a bit of a difference, but only for a short time. The air is cold enough...so any ideas as to why the noise? Thanks.
  • geeneegeenee Member Posts: 15
    Honda has made good on my AC compressor. I'll stick with Honda for my next purchase.
  • rajeevsardarajeevsarda Member Posts: 4
    I strongly feel to bring notice of the vehicle failure and seriousness of the matter to all Honda CRV user as the failure had LIFE RISK at stake.

My vehicle moving at 40 km/hr suddenly came to a complete halt with full loss of all controls on the power steering and brake system.(refer my earlier posting in the same forum in Nov.2006)
    Once AC Compressor fails I could understand the problem is to do with the air-conditioning system which is loading the engine and instead of any safety circuit breaker getting engaged which should cut power to the A/C system the whole engine would get stalled in fraction’s of second.

Imagine the seriousness of this incidence and possible life risk if such a failure happens at very high speed on a highway..In light of this major incidence I suggest a complete "FMEA" analysis be conducted on the vehicle by Honda and a report be submitted to to all users assuring no such incidence can ever re-occur in this vehicle or for that matter any other vehicle of Honda
    I have been proud owner of HONDA as a BRAND and this incidence has shaken me totally when I recall the experience.
    Honda new about such failure in the past & was required to recall all the CRV units to set right such chance of failure AS THIS RELATES TO BASIC SAFETY DESIGN FAILURE AND COULD BE A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH OF A HONDA USER.

VISIT google search"CRV compressor failure "and see hundreds of similar failure.Also google search "Honda recall" and know how many failures in Honda vehicle.
    "My vehicle moving at 40 km/hr suddenly came to a complete halt with full loss of all controls on the power steering and brake system.(refer my earlier posting in the same forum in Nov.2006)"

I don't understand your post. Are you saying that the A/C compressor failed on your CR-V and that caused the vehicle to stall? This is the first I've heard of such an occurrance. Most reports simply indicate the A/C blows hot air.

Not to disagree, but did you also do a Google on other cars and problems? Honda has sold a LOT of CR-Vs, and it is at least evident that not every one has a failed compressor.
  • soldoncrvssoldoncrvs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 CRV with 84,000 miles/NO warranty. The air compressor blew out. The day prior, there was a rattling, like a piece of plastic stuck in the air duct, coming from behind the glove compartment. The next day, which was 105 degrees, it sounded like a bag of bolts stuck in a garbage disposal.
    I immediately Googled CRV air compressor and found this forum. The next day I took it in to my local honda dealership for a checkup. At first, the service manager said he couldn't do anything. Then I told him I did my research on this forum. Still nothing because he said that it was the 02-04 models that they were replacing, but not the '01.
    As it turns out, my crv was purchased in late '01 about a month before the '02s came out. The compressor on the '02 that has failed so often could have been used on my car. That was my defense when I called American Honda.
    The next day the service manager called back and said American Honda would cover 50%. The dealership and American Honda are two separate businesses, so the dealership will not make a deal with you like AH will.
    So end of story, the new AC system cost me around $700.
  • ridatrasridatras Member Posts: 2
    We may be interested in a class action suit also, because Honda didn't give us a satisfactory answer either - offered half. Said the decision was based on owner loyalty to Honda. So instead of letting my husband do the maintenance, brakes, oil, hoses, etc. which he is entirely capable of, I am supposed to take it to my local dealership so they can charge me $475, $380 of which is labor. So that they then can still "choose" whether or not to fix an issue of faulty manufacturing on their part. Corporate america as we know it.
  • ridatrasridatras Member Posts: 2
    Not to disagree, but did you also do a Google on other cars and problems? Honda has sold a LOT of CR-Vs, and it is at least evident that not every one has a failed compressor.

I know this is true, but when there are this many issues out there with the same models and years of a car, a responsible manufacturer would issue a recall or would cover all of the complaints, not just pick and choose.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I strongly feel to bring notice of the vehicle failure and seriousness of the matter to all Honda CRV user as the failure had LIFE RISK at stake.

My vehicle moving at 40 km/hr suddenly came to a complete halt with full loss of all controls on the power steering and brake system.(refer my earlier posting in the same forum in Nov.2006)
    Once AC Compressor fails I could understand the problem is to do with the air-conditioning system which is loading the engine and instead of any safety circuit breaker getting engaged which should cut power to the A/C system the whole engine would get stalled in fraction’s of second.

Unless you drive stick, stalling the engine will not stop the vehicle. Also, stalling the engine does not cut off your ability to steer or brake, unless you suffer from muscular distrophy.

Even if you drive stick and the engine stalls, you don't stop as if you hit a cement wall, you just slow down, and by that time you should release the clutch and shift into neutral anyway.

How did people steer and brake before power steering and power brakes were invented? Sheesh.
  • nicompnicomp Member Posts: 21
    Remember that you have a legal obligation to mitigate your damages. Honda can't be held responsible for the well-being of your child.
  • hobie2515hobie2515 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2003 CRV with about 46,000 miles on it. I was driving up to New Jersey from North Carolina and while in New Jersey, my car made a funny ratteling sound, stuttered a little and then completely died on me (engine, power steering, electricity, everything). When I turned the engine back on, the ac was not blowing out cold air. A few weeks later I took it to the Honda dealership in North Carolina. They took a look at it and told me my compressor was shot and that metal shards had been thrown around the system. They appealed to American Honda to have it fixed under warrantee and it was. I got a new compressor, new hoses, basically a brand new system all fixed for free. Excellent work on Honda to recognize the problem and then do something about it for people. Now my ac runs like a champ.
  • michelle0128michelle0128 Member Posts: 2
    Does the cost of fixing the AC count as mitigating my damages?
  • gwtw1gwtw1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in Norman OK also. I took my daughter's '02 CRV to a private mechanic who verified the blown compressor. I decided to Google the problem, and found this forum. Unbelievable. I have an appt with Fowler Honda this afternoon, but after extensively reading this forum, I wonder if I should just go ahead and call HA first.
    How was your problem resolved? What is your recommendation?
  • cool_crvcool_crv Member Posts: 1
    Quick version - Honda was great and fixed blown compressor only charging me $250 instead of $1200 because I read the discussion group your reading now.

Long version - Driving the 2004 CRV in Orange County, CA last week with the AC on and suddenly there's a whooshing noise for about 15 seconds, slight vibration, then the car runs normally but AC blows hot air. When I get home that night, I look under the hood down where the compressor lives and see oily residue sprayed over everything in the area.

I was going to take it to my regular mechanic next day, but thought I'd check online for a recall notice or service campaign since 58000 miles seemed pretty young for a compressor failure. After I found this discussion thread, I did the following;

1. Called my local Honda dealer, asked for service. I told the service writer I had a CRV I thought had a blown AC compressor, and asked if he had heard of any service campaign. I told him I had seen information indicating they had more than usual failures. He said he knew of no campaign, but advised if I wanted to try and get Honda to help out, I should get a case number, and he gave me the 800 number to call.

2. Called the 800 number, explained my case to information input person who opened a case number and said my case manager would call in a day or two. She advised that I should go ahead and get the dealer to diagnose the failure so matters could proceed.

3. Called back Honda dealer, got the same service writer and told him I had a case number and was bringing it in for diagnosis. Left it that night at the dealership.

4. Next morning, Honda case manager calls and asks me questions before contacting dealer. He is curious as to why I opened a case number as the car is out of warranty, I bought it used from a private party, and I basically don't have a leg to stand on (my words not his). I just old him I had seen a thread on Edmunds that indicated that they might have a premature failure problem with AC compressors, I and my immediate family had owned 4 Hondas it the last decade, I just wondered if they could help me out with this. I was just as nice as I could be, because that's just the kind of guy I am.

5. Later that day, my service writer at the dealer calls and says he found a blown compressor, talked with my case manager, and they are willing to pay for the $1200 repair except for a $250 deductible charge to me. I know a good deal when I hear it, so I thank him profusely and he tells me it should be done tomorrow.

6. Next day I get the car back, AC works good and has been working fine for a week now.

Summary: It would seem that this discussion group has saved me about $1K, and that Honda did step up and stand behind their product - even though I was not the original owner, didn't buy it new, and it was 22k miles past warranty. It did say "one time goodwill discount" on the receipt, so I suppose if this compressor goes out at 120K miles, I'm on my own, but 'till then I'm cool like the breeze.
    I just went through this, but I am in NJ. It does seem to vary from case to case. However, in reading dozens of similar situations on this thread, and more importantly, going through it on my own, I can say that I think the best route to take is to contact HA first. To me, it immediately separates from you from the mokes who simply go into the dealership and follow the bouncing ball right to the 3000 dollar invoice. It implies that you did your homework, and are not going to go quietly. But you dont have to be a jerk about it either. Polite yet firm.
  • jamesbrjamesbr Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2001 CRV. Mine has 88,000 miles and no warranty. My compressor let go one day when I started my car. Like soldoncrvs said it sounded like "a bag of bolts stuck in a garbage disposal". Horrible sound to say the least.
    Also like soldoncrvs's car, mine was one of the last built in 2001. So, I am hoping the my fix will also be at least partially covered by American Honda.
    I will post back with results.

James
    "I know this is true, but when there are this many issues out there with the same models and years of a car, a responsible manufacturer would issue a recall or would cover all of the complaints, not just pick and choose."

I have to agree with you there. I certainly wish I knew what criteria were being used by Honda to determine which cases to fund...
  • gwtw1gwtw1 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2002 CRV into the Honda dealer yesterday. It has 89,000 miles on it, no warranty. I explained to the service manager that I have owned 6 Hondas, but did not purchase them at his dealership (as I had lived out of state).
    He called Honda America and they are covering 2/3 the cost of the repair. The entire system was contaminated when the air compressor blew, and the total estimate for a complete new system came in @ $1700.00.
    Apparently, Honda "owner Loyalty" is a BIG part of the decision when Honda decides how much, if any, to pay.
    While I am thrilled that they are paying $1150.00, I feel sorry for new Honda owners as they may not get ANYTHING paid for.....maybe their attorney should call Honda America.
  • anndianndi Member Posts: 9
    That's great, the amount of my complete system was $3,100 so when I paid half it was nearly the same as if you would have had to pay your entire amount. I'm seeing this huge price difference is quite common when I read these posts.
  • dwils25dwils25 Member Posts: 1
    Yep, I am glad I bought the extended warranty with my '04 crv (the EX model). The first time the a/c blew it sounded like I ran over about 3 full garbage cans.... and the a/c quit. The dealer called it "BLACK DEATH." The compressor and hoses were replaced and price to the warranty company was $1300 (and I got a rental car for the day). It is now about 6 weeks LATER and the car sounded like 50,000 mice were in the engine and the a/c quit. At the dealers the next day, BLACK DEATH was again confirmed. The repair will be the ENTIRE unit at about $2000+ and a rental car -- cost to me $0. While this isn't costing me much except for time, I have now called American Honda to report the problem. While they don't admit to a problem, they are assisting many people with the repair of the a/c units. They reassured me by saying the new a/c units are re-designed. We'll see.

This is my 4th Honda since 1972... and first problem. Yes the VIN # starts with a "J." AND the mileage is now less than 29,000. Problem seems more related to calendar age than miles. My Mom has a 2003 crv 2 wheel and I am waiting for her a/c to blow (LOOK OUT: might be any minute!)

ALL: should you have this problem REPORT IT TO AMERICAN HONDA before you go to the dealer for repairs! Have the larger fix done if you can: My dealer said that pieces remained in the a/c system after the original repair causing the 2nd failure. AND keep your records in case it happens again.

Now may we all have good luck with our new a/c units!
  • s_almanzars_almanzar Member Posts: 1
    I have and 03' CRV-EX with 70k miles and my a/c compressor just went bad. I purchased the vehicle brand new and have done all of the scheduled maintenences.

I just called Curry Honda and they said it will cost 2800.00 to fix the entire A/C unit.

Just called Honda and open of a ticket. Will keep you guys posted.
  • big_greenbig_green Member Posts: 2
    Same issue. Compressor goes clunk. Take it to the dealer, first technician immediately tells me the whole a/c system is ruined and costs $3000 to replace, but they will contact American Honda and it can usually be fixed for $600. Same tech calls me back and says Honda will pay 50% and it will cost me $1200. I told them that wasn't good enough and he then has the service manager call me. Service Manager gets a little testy when I mention this and other websites and that they clearly have a defective part and he finally agrees to call his regional representative back. Another call from the service manager and he says they will pay 75% leaving me with a $700-$800 bill (yes, their percentages don't add up - 25% should mean a $600 bill). I ask for the case number so that I can contact American Honda myself and..."we didn't open a case." Followed with a very threatening tone of "If you contact American Honda we can retract our offer." I simply said "ok" and contacted American Honda myself to open a case. American Honda basically said they would not override the current offer and of course they would stand behind that offer (unless I sued which is interesting since I never once mentioned anything about legal action), and finally that I should take responsibility for not having an extended warranty. I asked if there were any guidelines as to who has to pay what since some posters don't have to pay anything, some pay 50%, some pay 25%, some pay an arbitrary amount. And am basically told it is an arbitrary decision as to who pays what and as for this and other forums "it's the internet, anybody can say anything."

So, it looks like I'm stuck with the last offer. I'll update this with the final cost to me for this repair when I get the bill in a day or two. Good luck to the rest of you.
  • raskul90raskul90 Member Posts: 1
    Monday 24 September 2007, I hear pop in the engine area and a swishing sound and the A/C runs hot.

Tuesday I took it to the Honda dealer for them to look at it. The service person calls me and tells me he has bad news and good news, the bad news was the compressor was shot and shot medal into the system and it will cost $3,500.00 to fix and the good news was that since I am a loyal Honda customer the service manager got American Honda to pick up the cost of labor and all I have to pay is $554.54. I told him to fix it.

I was curious on why they would do that so I Google it and found this site. I called American Honda and filed a claim , explained to them what happened and ask if they can pick up the $554.54, she told me someone will get back to me.

On Wednesday Darrell from American Honda called me and I explained that the CRV was repaired and awaiting pickup and ask him if they could pick up the balance, he informed me to have the service manager call him before the final bill. He just wanted to make sure the dealer made all the phone calls on my behalf.

My wife picked up the auto and ask the service manager to call American Honda he ask her why do I need to call Darrell from American Honda, she explained why. The service manage got nasty with her and told her that I agreed with the price and out of the goodness of his heart I am only charging him for the compressor.

Darrell called me back and informed me that is all Honda is willing to do for me.

They left my wife waiting a half hour before my wife ask what is going on his reply was everything was settled and I don't know why you are still here. She paid the fee and left with the CRV.

On the invoice Honda states one time goodwill repair. I have a 2005 CRV so what happens when that compressor goes?

All CRV owners should call American Honda before they take it to be repaired. If I had known before maybe I would have saved a few more dollars.
    "On the invoice Honda states one time goodwill repair. I have a 2005 CRV so what happens when that compressor goes? "

If you have less than 36K miles, you are still eligible for a HondaCare extended warranty. You might want to investigate getting one just for security.
  • wincrvwincrv Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem as all the others with a 2002 CRV. Honda paid for the parts but not the labor. Escalated to Bernardi Honda dealership owner, dealership service manager and as we have seen in other cases the buck ends up at Honda America rep - in this case Matt.

Matt can't "do anything further" for me and I asked how what appears to be an endemic problem with CRVs (and the only significant problem being discussed in the forums I have seen) can be escalated within Honda. He said that if "a lot of people" call American Honda about their problem then it might get enough attention for them to consider addressing it more broadly.

So, call 1-800-999-1009 and ask that this problem be escalated within Honda corporate. Also suggest telling every Honda CRV owner you encounter about this issue.

I told the various service managers that there were approx 100 new posts a month on this site about this problem and that was just the people who took the time/effort to post. Wonder what the real incidence level is of this problem? I also told them that this was THE problem being reported for CRV's - not a lot of noise on any other problems which made it even more amazing that it wasn't being addressed at the corporate level.

Take a few minutes and call Honda America (1-800-999-1009)and make sure they know of your problem - if there is enough noise made then perhaps they will do the right thing someday. Those of us who have already had it might benefit and it would help those who will have it in the future.
  • mdm39mdm39 Member Posts: 3
    After paying to have my A/C fixed ($2,200), I was told last week that my catalytic converter had also gone & it would be $1,700 to replace. Needless to say, I nearly blew up. I got rid of my CR-V PRONTO & have purchased another vehicle - absolutely NOT a Honda, and I will never own another. Good job, Honda - way to loose a loyal customer!!!
    :lemon: