Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    Being a woman, I would have to agree with your analogy!!
    Also, I agree with your statement about the Disco memorizing other habits, like driving in '3', which I do on a regular basis. I've already noticed a difference in gas mileage, shifting and overall handling... she definetly has better pick-up than when I got her a year ago. Are you still considering trading your Disco in for a D2?? I still prefer the D1 over the D2. Obviously, when it comes to a Defender or Series... well that's a whole different thang...

Happy discoing to all!
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I'm afraid I can't offer much insight into your post. I am not a technician nor am I that familiar with the Discovery 1's ABS system operation.
    POC322, Have you contacted Land Rover Owner Care? Their phone # is 1-800-637-6837. I don't know if there is much that could be done, considering the vehicle is 7 years old and well over the mileage for warranty, but you can give it a shot.
    To all, I am here in a very unofficial capacity because I love the vehicle and want to help when I can. I am very limited in what information I can actually post and have no authority to get involved with any problems.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the response tincup47. I completely understand your position. I was hoping you had heard or experienced what I was describing so I thought I'd ask.

A question and comment for "proud owner..." rj17:

Can you please take a look at posting #491? I'm curious to know if you have the same observation. I got mine 3 weeks ago from Cole European at Walnut Creek (great people as well). It's a D II '01 SE7, white gold, silvertone interior with the climate and off-road package. I also want to comment on the remarks you said about the gas mileage and acceleration. I agree 100%. I don't understand how people can expect to have a lot of Zip from a car as heavy as the Disco. Same is true for the gas mileage. This is the price to pay for all the safety you get from the way the car's body is built. I've checked a lot of specs for similar vehicles. If not the same, gas mileage for the others are just about 2 miles more per gallon at the average. If the Disco's engine was used on a lighter car, I bet it would give it a whole lot of Zip and better gas mileage.

To those who are interested and can afford it (I just barely), I say go for it. That's the only way you can understand why there are so many people so passionate about this car.

I'm still also interested in other people's feedback regarding posting #491. Please check it when you get the chance.
  • trc2trc2 Member Posts: 3
    If there are any readers in the Denver area, I am selling a flawless '00 Silver DII with all the goodies. I won't bore uninterested readers here, but send me an e-mail to tcaleel@hotmail.com if you would like to know more(I'm not a dealer).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try Edmunds Used PowerShopper, trc2.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I apologize, Jackick and Oceandweller! It's a rude assumption on my part that Rover owners are typically males. Mea culpa!!!!! BTW, I think it is VERY cool that you're here, wanting to know more about your trucks.

About the power loss on the highway, it might be sticking valves (misfire) or there's a road speed sensor (or something like that) that's a common culprit too... and hard to diagnose. Surf over to

http://www.wowpages.com/roversnorth/wwwboard/w3bbrr.html

and do some snooping. This question has been asked recently over there. "Ron" is knowledgeable about this item in particular.

Sorry!! -Bob
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    All:

The little item that I think Nanuq is referring to is the engine vehicle speed sensor - a small little bugger than can make you want to sell your vehicle quicker than anything!

I had a problem a couple years back with mine - I think it's a $60 part. I would go from 60 to 70mph and the engine would shudder and cut out. This took 5 trips to the dealer to finally diagnose and repair. Once repaired, I've been trouble free (on that problem) since.

Also, per my previous post - keep an eye on those brake pads every 20000-25000 miles! The total bill (ordering parts from Atlantic British instead of paying Rover prices) was near $2500. They got the rotors off and the calipers were bad, the pistons wouldn't retract enough to allow the new pads in, and the brake lines had rusted enough that one fractured when working around in there. So on the front, it was new pads, rotors, calipers, and brake lines. Gotta love those salty MI roads! :)

Don't want to jinx this, but there is a chance that I may be a Defender owner by Saturday! I'll update everyone if it happens.

Bob - how did you post that pic of the upside down rover? Did you just paste into the Posting Windows?

Thanks - wasko
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Town Hall Help" linked in the left navigation bar has details on posting pictures.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I just use an HTML tag for "img src" like this:

img src="http://www.nanuq.net/picture.jpg"

and presto! Put angle brackets around that command and it'll fly.

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    To tincup47, or anyone else who knows about this:

I had been planning to buy a LR (factory) extended warranty for my '98 RR 4.6. However both of my local dealers have told me these are no longer offered thru Land Rover; one of them offered the explanation that it is "because Ford is buying LR". (One of them also had the gall to try to sell me a 2 yr. after market warranty for $4350, when the price on the 2 yr. LR warranty had been $2700 a few weeks earlier).

Any idea on if LR extended warranties will be offered again? I've looked into independent after market warranties a bit; but am put off by all the stories on this site & others of legitimate claims being denied with a lot of them. (I did look at the GE warranty site, figuring they'd be reliable--guess what? They won't cover any LR vehicles--wonder why :-) However I'd be glad to hear of any specific recommendations for aftermarket warranties that other LR owners have actually used.

Well, I assume that Ford doesn't want to sell warranties that obligate them to fix a lot of aging Land Rovers.......they have enough troubles of their own, with all those Exploders out there rolling over, blowing tires, etc. (BTW, & this is off topic, but I rented an Exploder recently when my RR was in for service--IMHO it was awful in every way, & I did not feel safe or stable in that thing!)

Any info. or advice on the warranty situation would be appreciated.

Steve
    At this point we are changing warranty companies, they should be available soon. This is not a "Ford not wanting to warranty Land Rovers" issue, this is part of the changeover to the Ford world from the BMW world. You should be able to get on a waiting list if your vehicle is still under warranty. Pricing may change from what it was, but it should be available shortly.
    Nanuq: Apology accepted!! :) Do you receive the "Rover Log" from Atlantic British? They have an article in Spring/Summer 2001 issue about the "West Coast Women's Run", the event was for women only LR owners. It's kinda nice to see that, since I feel like I'm the only woman Disco owner in my area that likes to get muddy and under the hood!

Wasko: $2500??? Now was that the cost from AB or did that include labor? I just received the new "Rover Log" and brake pads are on sale. Now, did you use Kevlar pads and high performance rotors or just the basic after market pads and rotors?

Bilstein: y'all out there who have Bilsteins, how have they performed... stiff ride?... better stability? After I installed mine, I noticed the RT rear of vehicle sagging worse than before. Today, when I was drooling over her(as I usually do)I noticed she's leaning bad...Springs or shocks? thanks LK
    I have a '96 Disco with about 63.5k and her brake pads have not been changed since 30k. I spoke with the service manager at my dealership and he checked the pads and said they were in very good condition and won't need changing for a good while. Anyone else have this same pattern of wear on their D1? One other thing, has anyone had a problem with the regulator on the automatic windows? First, my front passenger window was broken, fixed under warranty, then on Saturday my driver's side window would not go up! After three days without my baby, I had to pay $185, this time they claimed it was wear and tear and I had to pay out of pocket, but I got her back!! So, has anyone had this problem, and should I plan for future episodes? Any preventative medicine? Thanks all. LK
    A woman under the hood of her Rover? Now if that isn't perfection, I don't know what is!

I had my passenger side regulator break too, fixed under warranty. I hear this not-so-often so it might not be a biggie, considering how many of these trucks are out there. If it was me, though... I'd keep an eye peeled for wrecked Discos and nab a regulator just to have around. It's an easy job to open a door and work in there.

Brake pads: I replaced my fronts at 22k miles and they were almost gone. Rears were replaced at 51k, and I've got another set of pads on the shelf. These are heavy trucks and if you drive vigorously (ahem) you wear the pads quickly. I prefer nice soft aftermarket pads, they're a lot cheaper to replace than rotors.

Tire rotation: you ought to be rotating front to back every 5-10k. That's also a great time to check the brake pads... and that's one of those plum jobs I just love! If you had her up on stands with all 4 tires off, I bet you could replace all 4 sets of pads in 10 minutes. Simple design!

Sagging: measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch... both rear corners should be within 3/4 inch (or less) of each other. My offside rear spring was toast and got replaced under warranty, this seems to be another curiosity. I also heard all 4 corners have different spring rates? Maybe the stock rate for that rear corner is too low. The advice I've heard is to go with HD stock springs (or Old Man Emu) and gain an inch body clearance, which will complement your Bilsteins nicely.

Have you seen www.discoweb.org yet? Lots of good stuff in the Tech section.

Regards, -Bob
    All:

I'm still in shock and can't believe that I actually own this bad boy! It's a 1997, has 63,000 miles on it and is absolutely immaculate!

I will continue to use the DI as my primary vehicle, but will upgrade it over time to a Series II.

Off to enjoy my 3 day weekend!

Wasko

Oceandweller:

Re:
    <<Wasko: $2500??? Now was that the cost from AB or did that include labor? I just received the new "Rover Log" and brake pads are on sale. Now, did you use Kevlar pads and high performance rotors or just the basic after market pads and rotors?>>

That was parts and labor combined. I went for the cheap(er) brakes on sale (not the kevlar pads and hi perf rotors). Plus, this cost included replacing the valve gaskets and another failing hose.

Thanks - wasko
  • tapnfooltapnfool Member Posts: 1
    For the past several months, I have been gathering all the information I possibly could about the Discovery II. I have been especially interested in what the people in this "Town Hall" have to say. What struck me was, although many people experienced minor problems, there was a certain pride in ownership that I have not seen with any other car models. My friend owns one and despite the fact that she, too, has had very minor problems, she would buy another one tomorrow. She says the dealership treats you like royalty (here in Nashville) as well as the service department. Those were the deciding factors for me. So, 4 weeks ago, I bought a 2001 Discovery II LE. I absolutely love the interior of the LE. The deep brown leather on the gear shift and the steering wheel and the combination of leather and cloth on the seats. I think its a very different look that some would love and some would hate. I love it so, I went with the LE with the cold climate package, 6 disc CD changer, and sunroofs. The only thing I'm afraid I will regret not getting are the jumpseats. Oh well, maybe next time. Anyway, I am just thrilled with this truck. For the first time in years, I'm actually happy to get in the car and go somewhere, which is quite often since I have two children that have places to be all the time.
    Over the last several months that I've been reading the messages posted here, I've noticed that people like to give their Disco II's a name. I'm not a very creative person, so could I put a call out there to everyone to help me name my epsom green Disco, or is that a tradition the new owner is supposed to figure out for themselves. Gosh, I hope not! Also, does anyone know of any great websites out there dedicated to landrovers. (besides the main landrover sight best4x4.landrover.com) I've never been much for off-roading but,heck I'll be willing to try anything. I feel like a new woman in my landrover!!
  • danielblewisdanielblewis Member Posts: 1
    I am glad it appears that you all have had wonderful experiences with your Rovers. I did not and am glad to get rid of it and have a vehicle that is much more reliable!! I purchased a 1995 Disco with 50,000 miles in February 1999. I bought it from the original owners. From the minute I had it, it was a nightmare. I realized buying a used vehicle I would have some repairs. But I never in a million years would have guessed it would be so expensive to maintain and have so many problems. I literally had the vehicle in the shop every 3 months with one problem or another. Every time I had it in the shop it was at least $350.00. A few of the repairs were over $1000.00!! I have owned numerous vehicles (foreign & domestic) and have never experienced these type of expenses and problems. Maybe I just happened to get a lemon, but I have spoke with other owners with this year and make that experienced the same problems. The reason for this posting is for any potential buyers. Beware that the cost of upkeep on these vehicles is ridiculous and just because you are buying a "luxury" vehicle does not mean "reliabilty". I finally gave up and traded the Disco in for a 2001 Lincoln Navigator which will hopefully be far less headaches. Not to mention a much smoother ride!!!!!
    Wasko: gee, thanks! You show us a picture of a D90 and then leave??? Have you no shame??? I sure hope she's everything you dreamt of all this time! If you need any work, call Gord'n Perrot, he's in Seattle... I have the number at my office.

Tapn: this is something you have to come up with on your own. The perfect name will just "be there" someday. Once you get to know her, and sometimes based on the area you live in. For example, Wasko lives in drippy Seattle and has a lovely moss green D90 so of course his new name will be "Fungus". Is that jealousy you read between those lines? :) Perhaps.

Okay, it's Epsom green, hmmmmm. Nashville? Hmmmmmm. Money is green, Nashville is music, music is money, Grover Cleveland is on the $1000 dollar bill. Here ya go... call it "Grover". See how that works?

Regards,
    Bob
    D'96 "Anuqa"
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    That poor LR must have had an exhaust leak as well. The resulting brain damage can be(and in this case, WAS) tragic...
    I too get concerned about reliability, but I owned a 1999 Subaru Forester, which was supposed to be reliable, economical(kinda) etc, etc... BUT I traded IT in for my lovely Disco(1996), because I constantly had problems. When I spoke with other owners with the same year, they too had numerous problems like: the need for a new engine before 6k was reached, a new transmission after the warranty ended...etc...etc..SO, there is no guarantee that every car/truck deemed reliable will be, nor every car/truck deemed unreliable will be. I love my disco, and I've been fortunate, I haven't had a lot of problems with her(knock on wood, for future reference..) :) I can't help but feel that the vehicles we drive are extensions of ourselves, need I say more?

Just my 5 cents... ocean
    Has anyone taken Land Rover up on their promo for a 30 day money back guarantee? If so, can you share your experience please? I still have a week to go with mine. I'm satisfied with what I have. I'm just curious how the dealers handle it. I'm sure they are not happy about any returns and would not be surprised if they put a lot of effort in convincing anyone not to return the car. However, if it is to exchange it with the same car but with maybe different color, option or trim, I wonder if they would be accommodating. I know it may sound nit picking but I'm thinking of exchanging mine with one that has the same options but different color. The one I got was a white gold DII SE 7 with the climate control and lightstone interior. I saw the bonatti gray and just loved it. Any feedback would be appreciated. I need them before Wednesday. Please don't get me wrong, either way I'm still very happy with what I have now.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Call a dealer, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about exchanging the White Gold for another color. LR would be taking too much of a financial beating if they allowed for people to change their mind about color or options. Don't you think? You'll probably second guess your choices now and then, but I bet you'll be happiest with the one you originally chose!

The White Gold is beautiful in humble opinion! Congrats on owning such a lovely vehicle!
  • grassrootsgrassroots Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 1998 Discovery LE7. I want to purchase an extended warranty. Any good ones out there?
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    "Wasko", all I can say after seeing the picture, is: WOW, and congratulations!!!!!! What a nice ride!

I'm also impressed that there are ladies among us, wish I could find one like that!

I know I've posted this before, but just in case you don't remember - reliability is always an issue. I have had 7 Mercedes', one BMW, 4 Toyotas and numerous "american" vehicles plus 2 Disco II's. All vehicles have had problems, although none were the nightmare my '99 DII was, which is why I dumped it. My '00 DII however has been almost perfect, and better than anything yet (except my '00 Toyota 4Runner which had NO faults). Nothing is perfect, and even two of the same can be totally different (as in my 99 and 00 DII's).

I'm now at 20,000 miles on the 00 DII with 70% brake pads remaining. So far I've been to the shop only for maintenance, which is free for 4 years or 45,000 miles (part of a sales incentive when I bought the truck). I've had some squeeks and rattles, but most come and go. Just putting a little grease on door catches fixed two of them - sometimes it's really as simple as that. Happy Rovering to all!

Any of you going to the National LR Rally in Ouray, Co. this August 3 thru 5? Should be really good off-roading.
  • ghinsonghinson Member Posts: 36
    Some of the recent posts have me a little concerned. I am/was about to buy a used '96 Disco with 34K miles on it. Any comments on expected reliability or problems I should ask about ahead of time? Thanks.
    Bring the vin # to a dealer and have them print vehicle history and to double check, get a 'carfax' report. I recommend buying from a reputable dealer, if they offer a fair price and warranty. I own a 96 with 64k-ish miles and she's great... good luck. One other thing, when you go over the vehicle history ask someone at the service dept. to explain anything your not sure of... and look for repeated problems... like valve issues, suspension.. etc. Hope you're on your way to getting involved with a disco, it like a relationship... you have to take the bad with the good, etc... ocean
  • rj17rj17 Member Posts: 7
    Greeting Burosky, In response to your commit about your RPM and the clicking brake noise, I've not experienced the brake clicking. As for the RPM's, I'm ideling in that same range. But also remember, This is a new vehicle. You are going to hear and notice things that are not familare to you...

As far as the Grey Disco. I was very close to purchasing one with the same package as mine. It's a great color. Good luck...
  • yonexmanyonexman Member Posts: 1
    I'm from the "w" generation, and would like input from other "w-genners" who may have a kid wanting a used Disco. Better yet...any "w" types who have helped their offspring buy and currently own a Disco, used or otherwise.
    Like what I said, don't get me wrong. I love the one I have right now. I feel quite lucky just to have one. I thought about it more and the more I did the more I realized it is not the most practical thing to do. By this time, I already have gone through getting the insurance and sent my first month's check. Not to mention the DMV hassles it can create. At this point, I think the only reasonable causes for taking up the 30 day money back guarantee offer is either a drastic change in someone's finances (like getting laid off or some huge unexpected expense) or getting a confirmed lemon. I wouldn't even bother asking the dealer anymore.

To rj17:

Thanks for the feedback. You are right. I'm probably noticing things that are unfamiliar to me. The car being totally new to me and not having experience driving anything higher than a 6 cylinder. I've talked to a few people regarding the way it purrs and most say it is normal specially when it is still cold. However, I still don't buy the idea that the clicking on the brakes is just the ABS "resetting". She is currently in the shop for some minor tweaks and since I am dealing with a different service advisor, I sort of asked for a second opinion and had it checked. Hopefully, they find something and get rid of the "clicking". It certainly doesn't sound normal to me. Cole European at Walnut Creek has been great about service though. They always provide "loaners" everytime they need the car overnight. In fact, the first loaner they gave me was a Jaguar XJ8!. It was tough returning it but after I got on my Disco and drove it, I somehow forgot about the Jawi.
  • kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    Hi everyone-

Wasko; she's gorgeous. You must (and should) be very proud. I'm happy for you. How does she handle?

poc322; I own a 97 SE. She has the dual sunroofs as well and since purchasing her, we have had an occasional sticky window. Primarily after it's rained or been very damp and then was in the sun getting hot. Pushing the sunroof button back and forth to get the window to open and shut works for me when that happens and the sunroof opens with no consequence. I'm keeping my eye on it. I have known of sunroof failures with other Discos.
    I have lights out on my dash as well, but I'm not sure that it stems from the same problem as you are having. My volume buttons and "next" and "select" buttons on either side of the steering wheel don't light up. I haven't looked into fixing it yet; it's not been on the top of my list of priorities.
    The other problems you listed haven't been a concern for me, so I can't give you any input there, but I thought I would share what I could. My consolation is that I purchased a warranty when I bought her used in Feb., so there is some recourse there when part failure occurs.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It sounds like you could benefit from a trustworthy mechanic/dealer. Is there someone else you could take her to?
    I own other cars and SUVs and can't imagine not having my Disco, "Lizzie" as well. My work commute is 80 mi. round trip. She's beautiful and gives me peace of mind on the road. (The looks I get are an added bonus.)

Kim
    Just an update:

Got my car back yesterday. All the minor tweaks that had to be done were completed. On the papers I got back it had a note on the bottom regarding the "clicking" sound I hear from the brakes. The note confirmed the first findings that the sound came from the ABS "resetting" and that this was by design by the manufacturer. As far as the loud purr is concerned, I have been trying to observe the car closer and sure enough as the engine reaches normal operating temperature it starts to quiet down a little bit. Not much but certainly noticeable. A little disappointed about the loaner. This time I got a Saturn. I knew that Jawi was way overboard for a loaner. I guess I just got spoiled. It's all good though. They still provided excellent service. I just thought the Jawi would have been a better loaner. I believe everyone will agree to that.
  • jackickjackick Member Posts: 12
    Hey everyone- just wanted to update you all and let you know we picked up 'Big Red' last week- a Rutland Red 2000 DII, cold climate pkg, ACE, the works, with 10,000 miles. I have been amazed at the response from family and friends! "Who died and left you a bunch of money?" Imagine their surprise when I mention that the cost was comparable to a similarly equipped Yukon (ick!). Oh well, I won't be giving everyone the value spiel- then everyone will want one! We are scheduling a trip to the Boundary Waters canoe area in Northern MN just to celebrate our new rugged vehicle. And incidentally, it is my truck-my husband can drive it only if he asks real nice!

PS: Anyone ever have any problems with parking ramp ceiling clearances? I always wonder if my roof is going to tear off...
    Congratulations! Hope you have many pleasant experiences. Check the driver's side sun visor, it gives the height clearance info.
    All:

Kemmons- thanks for the comments - I really am proud of her! She handles quite well - even at 70. Compared to my 1997 Jeep Wrangler that I used to drive, the Defender handles like a dream on the road. The jeep was very jouncy and taught and you needed a kidney belt driving it around. It doesn't handle as well as the disco on the highway, but it's still very comfortable - spent 2-3 hours tooling around in the mountains with her and was very comfortable.

Offroad - watch out! We hit some powerline roads last weekend (my son and I) and boy - what a beast! One one hill I had to lock center diffs as I kept getting stuck in this rut. My front left wheel was about a foot off the ground and I wasn't getting adequate traction on the right. Locking diffs I was able to get the traction (instead of spinning) and pop out of the rut.

As for parking garages in the Disco - it is a bit scary but (knock on wood) - I haven't hit anything yet.

Thanks - wasko
    Our off-road instructors advise locking the center diff when you first go off road. There should be enough slippage on dirt to prevent windup.
    I lifted my Disco for better clearance, and have tall tires... she's far better for breakover angles now but you can imagine MY concern in parking garages!

My solution was to mount Yakima ski racks to the stock Disco roof rack. I used adapter #1A I believe, which wraps around the stock x-member, then attached the Yakimas using their wingnuts. Then I approach low overheads slowly and listen for the "tap". Car washes are no problem, and if I hit something too hard the twin lugs that hold the x-member in place simply release and my racks fall off. They also *just* fit in my garage, with 1/2" clearance (and some hacksawing on the garage door opener).

It's not a perfect solution but it works...

Enjoy! -Bob
    Gotta love those angles...

...and that suspension!

• lvstenislvstenis Member Posts: 7
    my wife wants to buy a 2001 discovery II se7 but i'm reading alot of bad reviews from this website and some other magazines. they are saying that is not ergonomically friendly, not alot of power for a v8 and poor gas mileage. we' re not really into much power since its an suv and not a sports car. what we are after is a smooth ride that you can feel from a v8. i think it is really an suv for women because of the design. let us know about your input about this vehicle. we really appreciate it
    Remember that each review you read has the bias of the person that wrote it. Whether or not the power is adequate or the Ergonmics are friendly to them they could be perfect for you. I advise you to test drive one and decide for yourself. Demographically the Discovery is very much a man's vehicle by sales. All full size SUV's get poor gas mileage, it has to do with weight and aerodynamics. Stop by a Land Rover retailer, pick up "The Authoritative Guide to Sport Utility Vehicles", drive the ones that interest you, then decide for yourself.
  • lvstenislvstenis Member Posts: 7
    we are not big people so we dont need a full size suv like the tahoes. we rode a tahoe and its too big for us. we think the discovery II is the perfect size for us, not too big or too small.
    Tincup is right... it's all in the perception. I find it has gobs of power but to me, that means pulling a heavy jet boat and trailer out of a foot of glacial silt mud at the bottom of a steep boat ramp. Or climbing straight up and over obstacles at walking speed. Or pulling fully loaded Suburbans out of ditches when they're BURIED in snow. If you're after a smooth isolated ride then you're in for a treat. It really is very much a "manly" 4WD (boy am I going to get slammed for that!) ... just crawl beneath and look at the heft of the parts. But the ladies feel very comfortable in it, and quickly feel confident in its ability to get them where they're going in any conditions. It has an unshakeable solidity, which gives tight control in amazingly nasty offroad conditions, as well as straight, unswerving tracking at freeway speeds. After owning mine these several years I've had some headaches which were sorted under warranty, but FAR more pleasant experiences... it is constantly offering more than I ask of it, and only rarely (twice) has it failed to go where I wanted to. But those times I doubt anything would have made it.

As Tincup suggests, drive several (they all have different personalities) then make your decision.

Regards, -Bob
  • tgh68tgh68 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me with hooking up my wiring harness for use with towing. I have a 97' Discovery and I was told that they were "prewired" for towing and all I had to do was by the trailer connection and plug it in. For the life of me I can't find a plug anywhere. Our Ford Explorer has a nice connection off of the tail lights and I was kind of expecting the Discovery to have a similar connection, or do I need to cut into the wiring and splice in the trailer connection?
    yeah...see the thing about guys assuming off-roading, fishing, hiking, etc... is only a guy thing(or predominately)well, that just means they need to surround themselves with more women who have similar strengths and interests... not necessarily "ladies"... Women are hearty... just look at their parts!....rugged...like a... Land Rover?! Bob... just dropping some humor :) BUT, there are those fragile, southern bell types, who think dirt under their finger nails "Is a mortal sin" <--southern accent of course...hehehheh..(hope I don't offend any hard-core feminists)but it's true, not all woman are rugged outdoorsy types, and certainly not all men... sorry about getting off subject... it is rather entertaining though :) ocean
    The plug for the trailer wiring is in the right (passenger) rear pillar near the tail light from what I've been told. Your Land Rover retailer sells a custom harness with convertor (needed in any car that has separate brake lights and turn signals).
    Tincup47:

They recommend locking when first going offroad? Will having it locked all the time offroad lead to premature wear? Historically I've always just locked it when I hit something challenging. Plus, you lose quite a bit of turning radius with it locked - that the primary reason I've only used it when necessary in the past.

Thanks - wasko
    Yep yep yep... the age-old question. Some folks say that 4WD and winches just let you go further before you get stuck... I suppose that goes for locking diffs too. I leave mine unlocked unless I'm looking at a MAJORLY nasty section of straightahead goo (like FEET deep snow) and then I lock them before I blaze in. This lets me power opposite corners of the truck if they should happen to find traction... before the forward momentum ceases and I find myself in up to my mirrors.

Soooooo how's that fine green D90?
    HAAAAA! Hoo boy, I could be in for a heap of trouble if I make a misstep here! :)

I have to agree, there are the Suthun Belles who DAREN'T tarnish their nails, then there are the women who want to drive the !@#@!#% out of a Rover too. I've got to hand it to you... very few women even care what's under the hood or how or why it works. I admire you!

Yep indeed... I have a friend who signed up for the Marines and I made the mistake of asking her when she got out if she'd been "Looking For A Few Good Men". Owwwwwwwwwwwwww...

:) -Bob
  • tgh68tgh68 Member Posts: 2
    Tincup-
    Thanks for the wiring advice I'll go and take a look.

Wasco-
    I also was instructed to lock the diffs when heading off road. It shouldn't produce any more wear as long as your not driving on hard surfaces. But like Wasko said the further you get out there the more trouble you might get yourself into.
    I usually wait until the terrain or situation deems locking necessary. BUT, if it's hard to tell what's ahead, sometimes it's better to prepare, so I'll lock ahead of time.

Nanuq :)LandRovers...THEY describe their owners...hhehe(most of the time) :) ocean