Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• momac2499momac2499 Member Posts: 10
    I totally agree with you, lucky for you it's only the 1st time it's happen to you, this is my 4th time in 6 years. Honda fixed it the first 2 times because it was under warranty and contributed towards the 3rd now they are telling me that they will pay 1/2 of the part and I would have to pay the remaining part and labor cost. The quoted me $956.00 and that's after their discount and they told me that this is their last time contributing because I need to be responsible for this problem for now on. This is my 5th Honda and my last. I will NEVER by a honda just because of the way they have treated me on this matter. Good luck.
  • cal_ravencal_raven Member Posts: 8
    Well, lucky me my compressor when out 3 days ago and I started the process rolling in getting honda to back me up on the $2500 estimate on the repair. This is IF the metal shavings did not get into the system. I was entering the freeway and I heard a loud noise coming from under the hood and I just thought it might be the compressor so I switched the air conditioning off and the noise when away. After checking here I took the CR-V into the dealer to confirm what I already knew. Then I contacted honda of America and started dealing with them. I got a case number very easily and got a call back in under 18 hours. Based on the mileage 90K they will cover 50% of the entire repair. I think this is fair based on the age and mileage. Can anyone suggest any other work on this car while they are in there working on the AC compressor. Anything related to the 110K main checkup ? that might save me money. Thanks and good luck they are coving this you just need to work on it.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    I'm just curious what year your CRV is and what the millage is on it?
    2002 139,000
  • aisairaisair Member Posts: 2
    I am amazed at the number of posts discussing the Honda CRV compressor issues. We have a 2002 Honda CRV with 60,000 miles on it and the compressor locked up and contaminated the system on 7/1. After I got a quote for $3200 to put in a new AC system, I checked online and it wasn't difficult to find that this is an epidemic with Honda CRVs. The Honda dealership told me that Honda agreed to split the costs with me 50/50 and I told them that was insane. This is a defective part that Honda knows about and is getting everyone to pay thousands of dollars in repairs rather than recall the unit or fix the problem themselves. I've retained a lawyer, as there is nothing right about me paying anything to fix Honda's problem.
    Has anyone else tried to use the legal system for their AC compressor repairs?
    Also, has anyone heard of any initiative to start a class action lawsuit against honda for the defective AC compressor? I know they settled another class action lawsuit over faulty transmissions, I think in Acuras.
    Just wanted to see what else people are doing out there about this. It is insane that Honda isn't paying for all of their defective parts!
    Just my $0.02...
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    2002 139,000

A 6 year old vehicle with 139,000 miles has a part go bad. Alert the media.
  • frank77frank77 Member Posts: 3
    I am sooooo glad I found this discussion. I was about to go plunk down a million bucks for a new compressor, etc. for a 2004 CRV with only 20,000 miles.
    I can't afford it. But I live is horribly hot Miami, FL. So I have no choice.

Can I get some tips to make the most of my call to Honda?
    First question I have is what if I purchased this car used? I just bought it a month ago. Does it matter? Will Honda ask me?
    When I call who do I ask for and what should I say?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Instead of being a wise [non-permissible content removed] maybe you should have read further. Yes it may be a 6 year old vehicle with 139,000 miles on it but it's the 4th time the compressor has blown on it in 6 years. That means the car only had 2 good years since I've had it!!!!
    Frank77, just call Honda of America, even though your car is a 2004 just tell them the situation and see what happens. Hopefully you'll have better luck since it's still under 100K they'll usually honor it. It's when your car goes over the 100k that honda nuts up. GOOD LUCK.
  • kisseypookisseypoo Member Posts: 29
    I should think that even if you bought the car used (w/only 20K miles!), Honda America should stand behind its product. Check out my posts (#668, 669, 679) on this site. They may give you some insight before calling Honda America (number is listed in your CR-V Manual). Good luck. And keep us posted! KP
    Can you let me know what your attorney said, because I tried talking to 2 different ones and they told me that there is nothing they can do, but I'm thinking I'm going to the wrong kind of Lawyer. These were lemon law lawyers. Thanks
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    My CRV was used with 80,000 miles when it went belly up. I paid for the dealer repair prior to contacting Honda of America. This was probably a mistake since I would have probably gotten a better settlement since Honda could get the dealer to do the repair at a lower cost.

As it ended up Honda refunded me the money I paid for parts and I ate the labor. Total cost for the replacement, parts and labor was a little over $1,600.

Do your homework, have the dealer diagnose but let the national folks tell you what they will do for you prior to having your Honda dealer make the repair.

Jack
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    I own an 03 CRV with 78,000 miles and fortunately my compressor has not gone bad yet. I am now past my extended warranty(5 years) and want to sum up the high points with this issue. Feel free to comment as it may help others if and when this happens:
    1) The problem is mainly with the 2nd generation CRV's particularly years 02-04 and involves both of the major vin numbers for this vehicle.
    2) Honda helps or not on a case by case basis and considers mileage, loyalty, etc.
    3) Normally the compressor blows up contaminating the entire system.
    4) The cost to fix the entire system varies from about 1,200.00 to 4,500.00.

What I do not understand is what makes the compressor explode and why does it happen again to the same folks with a new compressor?

If this happens, will Honda America open a case prior to taking to the dealer? Some say that they get a case number before diagnosis, but I would think you would have to get a diagnosis before hand.

Will the dealer contact Honda America on your behalf or do you have to take care of it on your own?

Finally, I can accept paying for a bad compressor, but not one that explodes and contaminates other parts of the AC system.
  • tsaotsao Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 CRV with about 70000 miles. Just did a 60000 mile maintenance couple month ago, another maintenance couple weeks ago. Suddenly the car stopped in the middle of the street (luckily, there is not much traffic). Once we restart the engine, the air condition did not work. Took the car to the dealer, they could not see anything wrong, it cost me $100+ to open the compressor and I was told it will cost me another $3300 to replace the whole air con system. Complaining to Honda twice (The first lady was mean..), finally I had to provide them with my maintenance record etc..& they said they will give me a new system.. I have to pay $300.. In other words, I have to pay $450+ to fix a problem, they should recall, repair long time ago...what experience!!!!!!
    Did your compressor blow up like the others have said on this site? I agree that you should not have to pay if the compressor caused the other damage, but it sounds like you got Honda to pay more than most. Did you have to do the negotiating yourself or did the dealer help with that?

Sounds like they are handling on a case by case basis. It would be interesting if they have narrowed down a certain set of VIN numbers that this will likely affect and are just waiting to see if folks pursue reimbursement.
  • aisairaisair Member Posts: 2
    Here's the status of my Honda AC compressor issue:

Last week, after bringing my car in, the Honda dealership told me that Honda would agree to split the charges 50/50 with me, meaning I'd still have to pay $1400. Getting the 50/50 offer was without me doing any negotiating with Honda, the dealership brought me that offer. I figure if they're willing to give up a 50/50 offer without me even raising a stink, they know they have an issue and are trying to make it go away. I told the dealership rep that I'll be following up with other resources to get the issue resolved and to have Honda pay 100% of the costs.

I called Honda America on Friday and logged a complaint in order to get it in their system. I feel the customer service rep did a fine job and provided me with a case # with no issue. I told the customer service rep that I expect Honda to pay for the costs of the repairs. The customer service rep did remind me that my Honda was past its service warranty, but I told her I didn't think it should matter in this case. So, our conversation ended with her telling me that she would forward my case to an account manager who I should expect to hear from in 2 business days. Hopefully I hear from he/she by Tuesday.

I did talk with a lawyer this past Friday regarding the AC compressor failing in my 2002 Honda CRV (60,000 miles).
    The lawyer said that he'd be fine writing a letter to the Honda Corp. (and copy the dealership I've been dealing with) threatening litigation if they did not pay for the repairs.
    The lawyer also told me that I should make Honda aware that if they didn't pay for the repairs that I would 1) file a complaint with the state's Attorney General's office and 2) contact a law firm to discuss class action litigation.
    The lawyer I talked to on Friday said that while he doesn't deal with class action lawsuits, it did sound like there is something there to investigate and he gave me the names of a couple of firms in Minneapolis who I could contact if I wanted to go down that path.

I'd much rather not have to get involved in a legal dispute and spend countless hours working on that, but I have a hard time paying any money to Honda for an issue that it seems is widespread, is known about, and is a manufacturing defect.

I'll keep you posted.
  • greencivicbabygreencivicbaby Member Posts: 2
    :( Its 2004 with about 64,000 miles on it. I have an appt 7/22/08 Tuesday at HONDA. So I am waiting to see what they will say. I contacted my local honda dealer to let them know that I had two other places look at my car before, and I do not want to have to pay them to tell me what I already know is wrong with my car. But he said that they need their own mechanic to look at it. I let the manger know that I will not be paying the 95.00 for them to do the dia. check. The manger said for me to bring in my CRV and they will look over my car, and not charge me. He then said that he will then contact Corp Honda after they have one of their mechanics look at it and once they deffently know whats wrong with my CRV to see what corp Honda would do. I did not let him know that I already open a claim with corp honda as well, so lets just see when they tell me that the compressor is bad, what they will try and do for me.
  • carrieklewincarrieklewin Member Posts: 3
    So I'm sitting at the dealer waiting for the Honda America phone call to happen...

2003 Honda CRV EX

My question is - did anyone notice a sporadic whining sound before the compressor blew? I thought recently due to the whine that maybe a belt was loose in the engine, and over the weekend I then experienced the same pop & rattle... I'm wondering if the whining was a warning sign? A friend of mine also has a CRV & it made a similar sound recently...
    no mine didn't make any noise that I can remember.
  • nommysannommysan Member Posts: 1
    2004 CRV, fewer than 50000 miles... AC compressor seizes up... You know the story.

We brought it to the dealer today. $3500 parts and labor. They are eating the parts, but we have to pay the labor ($1200 with tax). Better than any other estimate we got, but still too much for what seems to be a chronic problem. We have a friend of a friend in another area of the state who is a honda mechanic. He said that was pretty much the standard deal they are making now. Hold out for at least that much.

Our thanks to those of you who wrote in about this problem. Without this forum (and the other pages and pages of people complaining about this problem...), we would probably be paying the whole thing...
  • bedilbedil Member Posts: 11
    My 2003 had less than 44,000. I emailed the manager of the service department and he sent me his cell phone number. I explained that my air conditioner quit working and he said he thought he could help me out. I took it in and the dealership worked with Honda America and it was paid in full.
  • aarmstroaarmstro Member Posts: 1
    Another CRV compressor victim here. '03 CRV with 124K miles. This was Honda #4 and will be my last. Got no help from my delaer or American Honda, who seemed annoyed that I was even bringing this issue up with them. They also brushed off the hundreds of posts on this forum as being unreliable since Honda has no control over the content. I traded in my CRV for a Toyota last weekend and I am sending American Honda a picture to let them know that they have lost a devoted Honda customer. I greatly appreciate everyone who posted to this forum since it showed me that Honda should accept responsibility for this issue because they obviously know about it. Good luck to everyone.
  • sonny2008sonny2008 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned before, my 2001 CR-V's compressor literally exploded, scaterring metal pieces all around, and they ask for 1631 dollars to fix it.

Honda America told me to take the car to a Honda dealership, and they told me they are going to contact me. I have talked to 3 people so far. The first two were nicer, they promised to call, and were optimistic that they will be able to help me with the majority of the expenses. It has been 10 days that my car is sitting at Honda mechanic, and nobody called me so far!!

I called them today, and now they assigned me to a "bad cop". He started to talk about how old my car is, that I have not bought it from a Honda dealer, and that it will be difficult for them to help me. This was the rudest and least understanding person I have talked to in Honda America. Must be a new techique they are using.

So much for reliable and respected Honda. I am so angry. This is so unfair. If my car's AC just stopped working I would not even bother, and replecing a compressor would cost me $500. But here my compressor EXPLODED, and it damaged other parts, requiring $1631!!! This is clearly a production defect! This is clearly a SAFETY issue. I was taking a look at the engine just 5 minutes before it exploded. What if it blew up at that time?

Having so many complaints, we should do someting about class action suit. Complaining is not enough apparently. And we seem to have a really good case so far to be able to press charges. Any advises??
  • sherpasnackssherpasnacks Member Posts: 1
    Please keep us informed about any legal action you choose to persue. I would definitely support you in that, or I may just take it up with them myself. Both the Dealer Rep and Honda America rep told me that these cases are isolated to certain VIN numbers originating out of certain countries.

Both knew exactly what I was talking about when asked about it.

The LEAST they could do is issue car owners in that category with a warning about this very costly maintenance and potential safety hazard for the owner. There is no excuse for us having to deal with this major expense when it can be avoided with a little information (or at least reduced - by giving us the option to replace the part before it explodes). I really wouldn't be so upset if they had simply issued information about this problem and warned us.

I was told at the dealer that this is an issue of lubrication. Lack of lubrication causes the compressor to lock up which can then cause metal shards to shoot into the engine.

They know EXACTLY what the problem is, what is causing it AND how to fix it. However they have failed to include precautions for it in ANY regular maintenance checks. Safety RECALL???

I asked the Honda America Rep for statistic on this issue and was told that it was confidential information. Really? Why do you think that is?

I just called the dealer to confirm that the new compressor in my car has actually been upgraded (so how does one know if that is the case?) And he reports that he has not seen a repeat case with this new generation of compressors, so I guess there is a tiny bit of relief in that.

I planned on owning this car for the life of the vehicle, however I'm thinking seriously about changing that plan.
    So I checked with my friend who also has a CRV - the whining noise I heard in her car that mine was also making.... turns out her AC stopped working a few days later and she had to replace the compressor. Hmm.....

If you hear a whining-like noise, which would make sense if it were a lubrication problem, you may want to have your compressor checked IMMEDIATELY. Of course how would you know to look on this website if that were the case?

This is so frustrating and so completely unneccessary!
    Apologies for repeating this information, but you really should contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Please call and make a report! ESPECIALLY if your car stopped in the middle of the road as a result of the compressor failure.

Vehicle Safety Hotline: 888-327-4236

I have started an investigation, so the more people who file complaints, the more weight it will add, and if there is an official recall as a result, we may be able to be reimbursed.

You can also file online...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • sonny2008sonny2008 Member Posts: 4
    You are absolutely right,

I have just called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. My car did not stop in the middle of the road, yet it EXPLODED there, and it scattered large pieces of metal (the cover of the compressor) all over. We found some of them under the hood, and the remaining ones were lying on the middle of the road.

I have started another investigation myself. Thank you for repeating that information "carrieklewin". It helps.

Every legitimately disappointed and angry one, please join us. We can do this. Thanks!
  • sudmitsudmit Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Honda CR-V, have done only 38k miles and the AC stopped working suddenly last week-end. The same complain- switched on the AC heard a rattling sound (for 2 minutes) from the engine compartment like as if a lawn mower was going and then the noise went away. Ofcourse no cooling was taking place. Since I am just outside the warranty of 36k miles I did not take it to the Honda dealer where I always go for service knowing that their repairs are more pricey. I took it to a garage recommended by my colleagues. They said that the compressor had locked-up. Had the compressor and clutch repaired for $750 that included non Honda new compressor and labor.
    I came across this site only after the repairs and shocked to find that it has been a problem with 2004 CRVs. Any suggestions on how to approach HONDA for possible cost recovery will be very helpful.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Any suggestions on how to approach HONDA for possible cost recovery will be very helpful. "

You can try calling Honda America, but I think you are out of luck - they are not going to pay for non "honda authorized" repairs after the fact.
  • george115george115 Member Posts: 2
    My wife’s 2003 CR-V has had 3 compressors explode. The first time was at 17,000 miles, the second was at 41,000 miles, and the third was last week at around 65,000. The entire system was replaced 2 times by Honda at no cost (once under warranty and the second time as a “goodwill” gesture). Though they deny any knowledge of a history of air conditioner problems with CR-Vs, they have agreed to replace the entire system this third time for only the cost of labor ($699).

Otherwise, this has been a good vehicle, and we hope to keep it for a long time.
    Sorry that you have had this happen three times. With folks having multiple times being repaired it makes you wonder if the problem is the compressor or the workings around the compressor, electrical, etc. Surely they are not using the same compressor manufacturer.

I have a 2003 with 78,000 miles that my wife drives and I am about to inherit since she is getting a brand new fit this weekend. With all of these problems, it makes me want to possibly sell it now and get something else.
  • stullichstullich Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 CRV 71,000 miles also had the compressor implode, ruining the system. The Dealer in Chattanooga quoted $3600!! to replace the entire system. After finding this forum I contacted Honda of America to get a complaint filed then the dealer back. The service rep immediately confessed to knowing about the re-occurring problem and told the service manager would contact Honda to see what they may do for me. He ballparked half and half split so I told him I had a quote from a local independent for $1300. They called back a few hours later with 75%off around $850 dollars. Seemed like the first quote was inflated but what was I to do.
  • jstaniforthjstaniforth Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 CRV AC compressor stopped cooling 2 days ago, making a loud sound as though something fell off the car. Later that day I went to my Honda dealer that I have received service since I bought the car from another dealership (farther away). I was told the my compressor failed internally and that it would cost $2795 to repair the entire AC system since the failure contaminated the entire AC system. I asked the service rep for suggestions, and he said I should request relief from American Honda. I filled out a form, and stated that I had all service perfomed by the Honda dealer, and that I requested at least 50% off the cost to repair. I was notified by service rep today that American Honda would cover 75% of repair. and I would only pay $630. While I am happy that the price was reduced substantially, I sense something is not right. What do you think?
  • bctampabctampa Member Posts: 11
    bedil, wondering what city/dealership handled the a/c problem with 100% goodwill?

I'm in the Tampa, FL area.
    trying to determine best situation for negotiation since "goodwill" varies tremendously

thanx
  • sudmitsudmit Member Posts: 2
    I have been going through many of the postings and it is not clear if American Honda sends the customer any statement explaining what the total repair cost was and how much Honda paid. I am surprised that a reputed company like Honda is dealing with this AC problem in such an unprofessional way. I suspect the dealer is trying to make as much as possible out of this situation. I would not believe their invoice statement.
    However with so many complaints I think a class action law suit is most appropriate.
  • bwtwswbwtwsw Member Posts: 4
    Our 2003 CRV air conditioner went out 7/22/08. Driving down the road the air went from nice and cold to hot air. Since it has 108k miles I was thinking it was a loose serpentine belt or the system needed charging. I changed the belt - no luck. In trying to charge the system I had trouble finding a pressure sensor so I "googled" and found these postings. My attention turned to the compressor. I found that my compressor is not working. After returning to this site and reading more postings we decided to call Honda America: they said that a regional case manager would contact us and the compressor would have to be checked at a Honda dealership. We called our dealership and scheduled service. We also told the dealership that we had called Honda America. I will post again as the situation develops. Thanks to all who have posted!
  • chb417chb417 Member Posts: 3
    On Sunday 7/20/08 my air conditioning was working fine on my 2005 CR-V the VIN begins with JHL. Then Monday I didn't have any air conditioning. I went to my mechanic on Tuesday. He thought maybe it was low on freon and when we put the gages on it, yep, low on freon. After drawing off anything in the system with the vacuum pump the compressor didn't come on and the clutch was sizzling hot! I went home and left my car with him. Later that afternoon Charles called me with extremely bad news. My air conditioning was kaput. He called Heritage Honda here in Rome, GA about parts, and Jason told him that it was a common problem with CR-Vs and that the whole system would have to be replaced. The parts would cost $1600.00.
    I started doing research online and found this website.

Thanks to this website I knew what to do. I got all my paperwork from the car and called American Honda. I pled my case and true to the postings on this site, they gave me a case number but said it would be deleted until I went to the Honda dealer and had my car diagnosed by them. I immediately hung up and called, Jim the service director and told him what my mechanic said. He made me an appointment for Thursday morning, he said he would talk to his district service manager about what kind of help Honda could give me with this repair if indeed it was the compressor. It cost $96.38 to have it diagnosed.

It was the compressor. I left with an estimate of $2500.00! I wasn't too worried because I had faith that Honda would see me through, but I didn't know to what degree yet. Julie, one of the service writers said she would talk to Jim and I would probably hear from them the next day. Not even two hours later, Julie called and said that Honda would pay 90% of the cost leaving us with only $250.00 to pay! Needless to say, my husband and I were very happy.

Even though I don't use Heritage Honda for service since my car is well out of warranty at 60,362 miles, I couldn't be happier with their treatment to us. I told Honda we had family who had Hondas and that this was our first new Honda and that I had never had any trouble with our CR-V and that it had had impeccable maintenance service. My husband wanted to know if I had thrown a hissy fit with them I told him no, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. It's called a goodwill warranty!

Next week Honda will repair my CR-V. They had to order one part that they didn't have in stock. I will post again after that happens and tell more of my experience.
    Thank you Edmonds and Carspace.com!
  • genhogenho Member Posts: 7
    You nailed it! Why should anybody be paying anything to Honda for repairing a KNOWN DEFECT? This is NOT normal 'wear and tear', people...Honda is CLEARLY aware that these compressors are defective, and yet many posting here seem giddy over the fact that they 'only' had to pay several hundred dollars to have their compressor issues resolved. Folks, that is several hundred dollars that would NOT have come out of your pocket IF Honda hadn't installed a defective part in the CR/V's in the first place. I am not implying that Honda knowingly installed defective parts, but once it became apparent that there WAS a recurring problem with the SAME part in the SAME model of vehicle; Honda was obligated to repair the vehicles ENTIRELY at their expense, IMHO. I believe most of us would agree that we have no problem paying for normal 'wear and tear'...my clutch wears out; I pay for it. My brakes wear out; I pay to replace them. This compressor issue is NOT the same, and I am of the opinion that customers should not have to bear the burden of ANY expense whatsoever. Simple as that.
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    The AC compressor on my 03 CR-V (owned since new) failed in May 2008, approx 5 years after purchase, at 101K miles. I had a rebuilt compressor and a couple other related parts. installed by my local Honda Dealer (Omaha, NE). My total cost was $1,358. I sent a letter to Honda Customer Service in Torrance, CA, with supporting documentation, requesting a refund of $810 for the 3 key parts that were replaced. 7 days later they contacted me by phone and agreed to send me a check for the $810 I asked for (which made me wonder if I should have asked them to reimburse me the entire $1,358).

I have since bought 3 new 2008 Fit Sports (one is my commuter) and am not driving the 03 CR-V very often, and will probably sell the vehicle in the next year or two, especially since we've had multiple severe weather/storms in the last 3 months and the car also got minor hail damage (no comprehensive insurance coverage, so repair cost, if done, is out-of-pocket). I am hoping the rebuilt compressor lasts that longer (and hopefully longer, for the sake of the next owner)

From reading the many postings here on this problem, my understanding is that there has been a high % of AC compressor failures in 02/03/04 CR-Vs, likely caused by inferior quality Chinese parts at time of build, and the failures have occurred at greatly differing mileages (have seen reports of as little as 20K miles, and some lasting well over 100K miles before failure).

If you are an affected CR-V owner, the key thing to recognize is that Honda shows no sign of issuing a recall (probably because having your AC fail is, in most parts of the country, not a life-threatening or safety issue). You have a very good chance of getting partial or perhaps even full reimbursement for the cost of repairs - IF YOU REPORT IT. So go ahead and document your problem and send the request to Honda Customer Service.

I currently own 3 new Fits, an 03 Civic, and the 03 CR-V and they have all been outstanding vehicles. The AC compressor failure on the CR-V was the first unpleasant experience of ownership, and Honda is, based on my experience, doing a reasonable job of working with the affected owners to resolve problems to the customers' satisfaction.
  • bedilbedil Member Posts: 11
    Our dealership is in Anaheim, CA. I looked up the dealership and sent an email to the service manager first and told him about the problem and added the fact that I had purchase 4 Hondas from the dealership since 1987 and that most likely I wouldn't be purchasing another one. He left a message for me to call his cellphone because he thought he could help me out. I found this message board before I returned his call. When I called Honda America I asked for a case number. I was told I had to go to the dealership first. After I insisted I was given a case number. Try going to the service manager. Good luck! :)
    Honda certainly isn't consistent re: the issuance of case numbers. Some people get one BEFORE going to the dealership; others get one later. Hmmm...
    I agree with you, but I believe that most folks are so shocked by the cost of the repair that paying 25% or even half seems ok at the time. At the most, I believe that no one should have to pay more than the depreciated value of the compressor. The customer should not have to pay for any parts or labor for parts damaged by the compressor.
    I too wondered about the case number - Some get it on the front end and some after they have gone for the diagnosis.
  • cal_ravencal_raven Member Posts: 8
    Well, it cost me $1200 to get everything in the A/C system replaced, honda split it with me 50/50. I have 90K on it and its a 2002, but its pissing me off that so many people are having this same problem. I think I'll write a letter to Honda American stating that I not happy about the 50/50 split after talking to several dealerships, mechanics and this board and ask for more money back. I know it will be fruitless, but owners of honda CR-V need to be heard. I'm in Norfolk Va and Checkered flag honda knew all ABOUT this problem and were easy to work with.
    Not necessarily...some people have followed up their repairs with a polite but FIRM letter to Honda Corporate, and have received checks covering the balance of the 'tab'.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "You nailed it! Why should anybody be paying anything to Honda for repairing a KNOWN DEFECT? "

Auto manufacturers warranty their cars for 3 years or 36K miles (sometimes more, and often 50K for transmission and engine). Once they are past that, they have no legal obligation to fix anything, with the exception of safety related items. A/C is not a safety item.

There is a reason that warranties are limited!

Honda is bending over backwards to help people out. I don't think any other manufacturer would do as much.
    Sherpasnacks - I'm going to have to deal with Honda in the next day or two for a 2004 cr-v a/c failure.
    I'm strengthening my case for demanding a full reimbursment and would appreciate your help.
    Do you have the names of the dealer and Honda America reps that told you the failures were restricted to certain VIN numbers?
    Do you have any info about "which" VIN's are affected.
    Would you please post the part number of the "new generation/upgraded" compressor (assuming it's listed and legible from your repair invoice) ?
    I'm still trying to decide when (not if) posting notice of the "Compressor Issue" from this forum (and others I've found as far away as Australia) at "The Consumerist - Shoppers bite back" ( http://consumerist.com/ ).
    It's a consumers rights/reporting/solution blog thats gaining more press daily.
    It's even posted as a "recommended site" at the NY Times "Freakonomics" blog.

My decision to report will depend upon the need for "more persuasive leverage" with Honda.
    Honda should step up to avoid further tarnishing it's reportedly good reputation.
    "Auto manufacturers warranty their cars for 3 years or 36K miles (sometimes more, and often 50K for transmission and engine). Once they are past that, they have no legal obligation to fix anything, with the exception of safety related items. A/C is not a safety item.

There is a reason that warranties are limited! "

Seems something askew to this reasoning. Reminds me so much of the "Rules are Rules" mentality of myopic inflexibility.

Honda presents itself as a corporation that pursues superior and evolving engineering.

They would not knowingly utilize components or manufacturing processes that would result in a "good enough for the length of the warranty", a mistake to which other manufacturers prescribed.

While failure to come forward with anything less than a notification of affected vehicles and/or 100% compensation may have to do with the politics of shareholders, the "goodwill" gained in monetary and character recognition would vastly outweigh the expenditure.

Have you [ poster/member stevedebi ] not recognized the multiple declarations of
    long time purchasers who will not consider Honda for another purchase.
    Do you not intuit the geometric progression of taint that's set forth in the "unspoken others"?

Stevedebi, the attitude and implicit message conveyed in your post is precisely what those of us facing this situation are currently having to oppose.
  • george115george115 Member Posts: 2
    We were vacationing in Florida when our 2003 CR-V's compressor grenaded at 41,000 miles. We took it to Coggin Honda in Orlando, Florida, where it was repaired for free. The service rep went to great lengths to investigate the problem (to include contacting a Honda dealer in South Carolina who had replaced the entire system at 16,925 following a similar event) and advocated for us with Honda America. They also gave us a free loaner car to use while they worked on our car.
    I am so glad to here someone that thinks the same as I do about this problem. Like I said in a couple of postings Honda is well aware of this situation and has done nothing to fix it. Most of the people posting on here have only had it happen to them once. It's happened to me 4 out of 6 years that it unexceptable from HONDA this is my 5th honda and I will never by another one. I think we should all get together and get a class action suit on them. I would start it up I just don't know where to begin. If anyone has any idea please get back with me.
  • emat24emat24 Member Posts: 1
    This whole situation with the AC compressor is unacceptable..

Same boat for me: compressor blew on our '03 CR-V at 66,000 miles. Took it to my buddy first who is an expert mechanic and he saw that the compressor was fried. He told me that with the cost of the part and the 3 1/2 to 4 hours labor, it would run about $1000 to fix. I then found all the complaints online related to the same part, so contacted Honda America, who told me I would have to take it to my local dealer (in Princeton, NJ) to have it diagnosed and then they'd see how they could help. Naturally, they found the same problem and said that metal pieces had gotten into the system so the whole AC unit would have to be replaced -- compressor, condenser, evaporator, lines, etc -- at a cost of... $3,800.

The repair manager I dealt with was helpful and using the case number I'd gotten from Honda America, said he'd contact my customer service manager handling the case. That rep got back to me, apologized for the problems and said that as a "good will" measure, Honda America would be willing to pay 75%. That's the same figure I've seen here a number of times on this thread.

Here's the rub: at the cost I paid for the diagnostic at my local dealer, there's no way that the service department at Honda went any further than my friend the mechanic went -- seeing that the compressor itself was fried, so naturally the AC wouldn't work. Let's face it, if they're not being paid to do the extra work, they're not doing the extra work.. There's no way to determine if metal shavings have actually gotten into the intake and exhaust ports unless they actually disassemble the compressor. So while I've been offered 75% off the $3,800 price to replace the entire AC system, there's a chance that all that needs to be replaced is the compressor.

The 25% price that I would have to eat after Honda America's "discount" would be, let's see.. about $950, plus tax, etc.. Or the cost of replacing a compressor.

I plan to ask if they can disassemble the compressor in front of me to see for sure if there's any sign of metal contaminating the rest of the AC system. No doubt they'll balk, but it's worth a shot I guess.

If not, I will certainly make sure that EVERY single part is written down on the repair order to make sure it's all charged out. And then I will take it to my friend to ensure that every single part in the AC system has indeed been replaced.

In my situation, it just struck me as strange that both the service manager and the customer service manager from Honda America seemed to be playing good cop. But the way my situation shakes out, they would both be benefiting. The service folks get paid for their work (who knows if it needs more than the compressor at this stage?) and Honda America comes out looking like a good guy because they've gone to lengths to "help out" a customer who's car is out of warranty by offering to pay a hefty percentage of the repairs. Even though they said themselves the compressor shouldn't be blowing at 66,000 miles...

There's definitely something wrong here and while it may seem that in some cases Honda America is "helping", I have to wonder if that's really been the case...

My case is still developing, so we'll see what happens.