Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• scutterscutter Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001CRV with 6700 my AC just Blew 4 the 3rd Time Yes 3rd time!
    Honda fixed the first two times on thier dime. I will contact on monday to see what they say. I live in Mesa (phoenix) Arizona. I will check back.
  • gr8fuldoddgr8fuldodd Member Posts: 2
    Obviously, my problem is universal. Have taken my 2004 CRV into local HONDA dealership multiple trips to evaluate and fix AC. AC will occasionally and without warning stop blowing cold air. Was told by Dealer that they could not fix problem unless it was happening for them. Even when having the AC completely not work, they were unable to determine what was wrong. They added freon. Problem came back.After several visits to Dealer trying to have problem fixed was told I would have to turn problem over to HONDA corporate. AC compressor has not blown yet but after reading so many blogs with problems regarding same issue I am very worried this problem will not go away.
  • tbcyberzomtbcyberzom Member Posts: 4
    i have similar situation...i will call corporate first thing monday...they offer me 1000 dollar to changes compressor,condensing,and hoses
  • jorgeperez16jorgeperez16 Member Posts: 4
    Please add this one to the list,
    My wife has a 2002 CRV LX, it has only 48,000 miles, and last week the car started to do a noise, I checked the car and the A/C was not working. I took the car to a mechanic and he told me that the compresor was lock up, he want $1,000 for a refurbished one. After reading some of the postings seems to me that the same problem happened to many people, I will go directly with Honda Corporation to see if they can help me with this issue.
    Meanwhile I will take the car to the dealer for the repair.
    Here in North Carolina is about 95 Degrees, it is brutal to have the kids in the car with no AC.
    JP :sick:
  • sayuritommysayuritommy Member Posts: 5
    My compressor locked up on trip to Florida last week. Dealer in Panama City, FL estimated $1923 to replace. I decided to wait until coming back to Dallas. In the meantime I discovered this forum. I called Honda and opened a ticket to get reimbursement. My dealer in Dallas (John Eagle) just called ans said they will replace the entire A/C on Honda's dime.

Thanks guys you saved me a bundle!

My VIN starts with "J".

My stats 2003 Honda CR-V - 44K miles.

I made sure I told the folks at American Honda this was my 3rd Honda.

The American Honda number I called was 800-999-1009
  • crvridercrvrider Member Posts: 3
    Well, I had my 2003 Honda CR-V towed to the dealer.

The dealer gave me an estimate of $1885.00 to replace just about everything. The service person stated that any time a compressor locks up you need replace just about everything, including hoses and clutch, etc.

The dealer, located in PA, stated that they would call Honda headquarters tomorrow morning and see if they could do anything for me. I mentioned that I bought the car less than a year ago and that I have a letter stating the non-power train items are covered till 5/2007 or 48,000 miles. I faxed the dealer the warranty letter. My CR-V has 45,000 miles.

This has been a big aggravation, considering my wife was to leave for a vacation with her mother & sister on Wednesday.

I will hopefully hear good news tomorrow. I'll keep everyone points.
  • gasarmigasarmi Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your postings. Even though our CRV is a 2000, it only has 48K miles. The dealer quoted 1600 and said no-can-do reg. financial help. Honda Corporate did open the case and authorized the parts. Now I'm waiting for them to get the parts and finish the job. This has taken almost 2 weeks but can't complain. Glad Honda came thru. My entire family has Hondas, this is our 3rd (incl. an Acura).
  • rrosencrantzzrrosencrantzz Member Posts: 3
    Well people in my earlier post my 2002 CRV with 82k miles had a ac compressor failure, I took it to Pep Boys(local garage chain) and they fixed it for $1200. After reading the posts here i contacted Honda Corp on 7/11/06. They opened a case and took down all my info and i faxed them the repair bill, well today 7/17/06 i received a call from Honda Corp informing me that they were sending my a check for $1200 !!! SWEET! They did not go into any reason why they were covering it, although i suspect it could have been because this was my first Honda( they did ask) and they wanted to keep me as a customer. I wish i would have know about this issue to begin with, i would have taking it to the Dealer.

My VIN # starts with a J

Ken
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    2002 CRV with 82k miles had a ac compressor failure, I took it to Pep Boys(local garage chain) and they fixed it for $1200.

Man, $1200 for just compressor replacement is kind of high.

Honda recommends to replace everything due to contamination.

Good on Honda's part to pay for the non-dealer repair.
  • jorgeperez16jorgeperez16 Member Posts: 4
    Good News!!!
    I talked to Honda Corp yesterday and they gave me a case #, then I took today the car to the dealer in Raleigh, they repair the whole system including hoses in no time, they also said that normally it would cost $ 3,000, but it cost me only $50, for the diagnostic.
    Thanks to Honda, they really are doing the right thing.

my vin starts with J

I would not hesitate to buy another Honda car (Odissey) next year. ;)
    JP
  • crvridercrvrider Member Posts: 3
    My Honda dealer just called me today and stated that Honda Corporation will cover the entire charge to replace the AC compressor, hoses, clutch, etc.

The aggravating part is it'll take till Friday to get all the parts needed to make the repair.

I was told they would loan me a car from Enterprise Rental for 2 days and that anything beyond that would be my expense.
    Honda is fixing my AC for FREE. When Mesa Honda Dealer today with paperwork from 1st two replacements. He (David the repair rep) was very nice and I felt good when I left.
    just got the call that Honda was replacing my AC system free of charge, even though I have 67,000 miles and no extended warranty. Any company can design a defective part, few will stand up and do the right thing. Thank you Honda! And thanks to those who took the time to post here, as you cot me on the right track.

Stephen Cutter Mesa, AZ
  • johnrblackjohnrblack Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 CRV with 40K miles had the A/C go out. My local mechanic gave me an estimate of $1700. When he called the Honda Distribution Center, they told him that they had replaced about 30 compressors in the past month. The mechanic recommended I talk to Honda to see if they would cover some of the costs.

I contacted Classic Honda in Round Rock Tx. The Service Manager acknowledged the problem right away. TheY contacted the Honda District Manager to see what could be done. Honda agreed to pay for parts but not labor. This left me with a $410 bill. I was told that they amount Honda would cover was based on the condition of the vehicle and if you were a "loyal" customer.

I told the dealer that any costs on may part to replace a defective part was not acceptable. They offered to cover all but $200 of the repair costs. Since they had my car and I needed it back, I agreed.

I am now working with Honda for reimbursement of the $200.
  • jmcelebradojmcelebrado Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2002 Honda CRV with no extended warranty two months ago from a dealership. The other day my AC stopped working and started to make grinding noises. I took my car to a local mechanic and was told the the AC compressor failed and needs to be replaced. The cost is $1227. By chance, I came across this forum and called the Honda dealership and asked about the "unofficial" extended warranty on AC compressors. He advised that he has heard of no such thing but will do a diagnostic and contact Honda Corp. to see if they will provide financial assistance. The dealership advised that depending on the problem Honda Corp. could opt to take care of 25%-50% of the cost or none at all. He also mentioned something about the "goodwill warranty". There are 71k miles on the car and the dealership said it probably wouldn't have been much of problem to receive financial assistance if the car only had 40k miles on it. This whole ordeal is so fustrating!!

I'll be back to give an update. :mad:
  • juliatjuliat Member Posts: 1
    I also had my compressor go out last Friday and I worked with Classic Honda to repair the compressor. When we called them Saturday they said they "knew" what the problem was and it would cost $200. On Monday they called and said they would pay for the parts ($1100) but we were responsible for $400 in labor costs. My husband told them we would call Corporate and they came back with the $200 cost. I have a case number with Honda Corporate and want reimbursement of the $200. I think Classic Honda should re coop labor from Corporate and not from their customers.

With the current heatwave and more hot days ahead I am concerned for more Honda CR-V drivers. Our Honda is a 2001 model with 49K miles.
  • rrosencrantzzrrosencrantzz Member Posts: 3
    Sorry i should have said Pep Boys replaced all the parts associated with the compressor and the compressor.
  • swigalfjoeswigalfjoe Member Posts: 3
    Our '04 CR-V with 51,000 just konked out today. Timing was great. The local weather guy said today was the hottest July day in KC in 23 years! Anyway, I took it to the dealer, O'Neal Honda, and they intimated that Honda National may extend a "goodwill warranty" to us. Their Service Manager is on vacation until next Monday, so we still have the car. QUESTION: Does anyone know if we can still drive the car or will it damage the engine? Someone said there may be metal shavings in the "system" now since the external case split.

Thanks, Joe
  • erinleigh101erinleigh101 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all - it was through this site that I found the information about calling American Honda when my 02 CRV's compressor died a quick and loud death last fall. The dealership gave me a guilt trip over having not bought an extended warranty and were sort of rude to me in the process. From there I was determined so I googled 'Honda CRV compressor problems' and found my way here. I had a full cost replacement coverage from American Honda within three days and a less smug than before repair tech fixing my car. I also found out that the previous owner had all the A/C parts replaced at around 22k miles. I'd bought the car when it had 25k and there were less than 40k on it when this happened again --- so my CRV is on it's 3rd unit. I'm hoping this one decides to stick around.

Honda paying for the repair at full cost and doing it so quickly has made me a Honda owner for life.
    You can drive with blown AC as long as your drive belts to AC unit are moving without restriction. the AC system is not plumbed into engine in any way. It should be obvious to on inspection with hood up and engine running. The AC System is not running if compressor is out of service. Plus they should replace total system so no worry.
    You should not have to wait for service manager to return, but he may have best relation with Honda National. If you have any doubt about driving you should contact your dealer for OK.

Best to you.

It will work out OK. Just got my CRV back yesterday. No charge replacement.
    I took my CRV in last night to Elk Grove Honda. The dealership is charging $150 for a diagnostic. I have since received three calls from Dean at Elk Grove Honda regarding my situation. The first call consisted of Dean advising that the AC compressor has failed. The local mechanic I took my car to previous to the dealership already advised me of such. Dean is currently working with Honda Corp. to get my compressor replaced but he is making no promises. He asked what I would like done and of course I explained I wanted the AC fixed FREE of charge. He said that he could maybe get $1000 paid for which only covers parts.
    My dealer charged $95 for diagnostic and honda USA paid that along with compressor fix. How many miles on yours? Are you 1st buyer?
    Thanks for the info Scutter. I spoke with the dealer and they confirmed what you said, namely, that it is OK to drive the CR-V with a blown A/C.

In addition, your assumption is correct. The dealership's advice is to wait for the Service Manager's return since he has the best rapport with American Honda.

Lastly, thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. I am trying to not become overly optimistic that American Honda will pay for a vast majority of the repairs, however, it is difficult not to be after reading your various posts.

Best of Luck to all!

Joe
    It's a 2002 CRV LX with 72k miles. No, I'm not the first owner...I bought it used at a Toyota dealership.
    July 19, 2006
    I just bought a 2002 Honda CRV with no extended warranty two months ago from a dealership. The other day my AC stopped working and started to make grinding noises. I took my car to a local mechanic and was told the the AC compressor failed and needs to be replaced. The cost is $1227. By chance, I came across this forum and called the Honda dealership and asked about the "unofficial" extended warranty on AC compressors. He advised that he has heard of no such thing but will do a diagnostic and contact Honda Corp. to see if they will provide financial assistance. The dealership advised that depending on the problem Honda Corp. could opt to take care of 25%-50% of the cost or none at all. He also mentioned something about the "goodwill warranty". There are 71k miles on the car and the dealership said it probably wouldn't have been much of problem to receive financial assistance if the car only had 40k miles on it. This whole ordeal is so fustrating!!

I'll be back to give an update.

July 20, 2006
    I took my CRV in last night to Elk Grove Honda. The dealership is charging $150 for a diagnostic. I have since received three calls from Dean at Elk Grove Honda regarding my situation. The first call consisted of Dean advising that the AC compressor has failed. The local mechanic I took my car to previous to the dealership already advised me of such. Dean is currently working with Honda Corp. to get my compressor replaced but he is making no promises. He asked what I would like done and of course I explained I wanted the AC fixed FREE of charge. He said that he could maybe get $1000 paid for which only covers parts.

UPDATE!
    GOOD NEWS! I just received my fourth call from Dean at Elk Grove Honda and they will be taking care of EVERYTHING! Thanks to this forum I've saved $1700! Not only have I saved the $$ for the replacement they'll also have my car ready for me by 6pm tonight. That's what I call fast service! THANK YOU ELK GROVE HONDA! ;)

Good luck to everyone else! I believe Honda is aware of this problem and will do the right thing.

JMCELEBRADO
    Sacramento, CA
  • kevinxkevinx Member Posts: 1
    If anyone has a suggestion I would really appreciate it!
    I have a 97 CRV and the AC isn't cool enough at this summer. So I added some refrigerant. But it seems overcharged now. The AC pressure switch is working now and compressor keeps start/stop. So is there any suggestion? How can I let the pressure go? Should I have to go to dealer to fix?
    Thanks a lot!
  • jcanaverajcanavera Member Posts: 11
    I called the 800 number from the Honda web site. They took my information. I received a call from a representative who was handling my case. Within two days they called and offered payment for the parts. I sent them a copy of my service bill from my dealer. Two days later they called and said they would cover the parts. I faxed proof of payment to them (a copy of the cleared check) and within a week I received a check. I wasn't the original owner of this vehicle so I was pleased at their offer.

Jack
  • jcanaverajcanavera Member Posts: 11
    Japan
  • mikel58mikel58 Member Posts: 3
    You are absolutely right. This form does attract those with problems, but when Honda admits immediately that there is a problem, don't you think there is one?

Of course your service manager is going to confirm there are not many problems with the A/C. Whey would he tell you any differently. My service manager admitted there are many problems after I pushed the issue. Maybe should re-visit your dealer.
  • jeanne193jeanne193 Member Posts: 8
    I really can't agree that A/C is not a safety issue as it is necessary to defog the windshield....and visibility in poor weather is certainly a safety issue.
    A few dozen? Ha ha! Each person who posts represents many more who just pay the tab and swear never to buy a Honda again.
    2002 built in England.
  • raouldukeraoulduke Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Just found this site after finding out that our '04 CRV (36,000mi) needed a new compressor, and being absolutely astonished.

We're in MA, and bought it in Aug of '04, so we didn't even make it through 2 summers....and we don't even use AC all that much, only on long highway drives and days when it's over 90.

We're a 3 time Honda family, and love them. I think Hondas are great, it's just that every dealer is different, some are going to be snakes no matter what brand of car they sell!

We had ours in last week and they said it needed to be recharged, so they did that and charged us. After 2 days it crapped out again, and now they're telling us it's the compressor, and offering $50 off the labor + cost of the part. After reading all this...I think it's time to renegotiate...plus get our $ back for the worthless AC service last week (when they should have caught it...since I'm sure they're aware of the problem by now).

Bottom line: If Honda corporate does not want to issue a service bulletin on this, they need to at least come clean and inform all their dealers to stop trying to haggle on the repair, which wastes everyone's time going back and forth on the phone and then having to submit a claim to Honda directly.

They should just set a reimbursement cost, tell the dealers to deal with it, and quit nickel and diming everyone on an individual basis.

The "loyal customer warranty" or whatever they want to call it, is simply a way for the company to make good on an obviously problematic part, without admitting direct liability for a defective product.
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    Add me to the list. The compressor of our 02' with 67k miles died last week (100+ deg in Dallas Texas). For the record, it is made in Japan, and I bought the car new.
    I am glad I check this thread before I order the parts. I was going to have a friend of mine who is a mechanics to replace it for me. I just called the dealer that usually does more maintenance. They asked me to bring the car in tomorrow.
    BTW, my automatic transmission also died about 2 years ago at 37k miles. It was pretty scary when it died. It just stalled all of a sudden (fortunately there was no cars behind me). Then, it stuck in 2nd gear. The dealer called Honda corporate, and they fixed the transmission at no charge in "goodwill". I will see whether they would do it this time around.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Post official numbers to back up your claim.

Hundreds of thousands of CR-Vs have been sold. There will be problems.

Funny how people with the 1G are also posting about AC problems (on at minimum a five year old vehicle). So is the problem with the 1G compressor? the 2G compressor? both? neither?

Again, it seems like Honda is addressing the situation. Not sure what else people want.
    Jeanne: "Not sure what else people want". You sound an awful lot like an apologist for the auto industry on the whole.

I think what people want, is for Honda Corporate to take responsibility in a proactive manner, and not make all the consumers jump through the hoops that the local dealers present in order to fix something that obviously needs fixing.

Wouldn't it be great to just have the dealer say "oh yeah, we're aware of that - no problem", instead of having to research it online and "confront" the dealers with this info and have those awfully awkward converstations on the phone with the service managers? I certainly think so.

ON another note....does anyone know if a bad compressor would cause the AC to need to be recharged sooner than normal? Last week they told us it needed a recharge...which I ALSO think after 2yrs is a bit soon on a car w/ minimal AC use in New England.

My theory is that the bad compressor caused the system to need a recharge sooner than normal, and so by charging us for that, we were getting charged for what was essentially a symptom of the overall problem - therefore this money should at least be refunded or credited toward the overall repair (if we can't get them to reimburse us 100%).
  • starbuckstarbuck Member Posts: 2
    My '02 CR-V's compressor died last week. I called the 1-800-999-1009 number and the lady told me too bad--I didn't get the extended warranty and that's that. But from what I am hearing on this site, people without warranty coverage are getting their AC fixed by Honda nonetheless. What didn't I do, or what makes my situation different from those who have said that Honda took care of them? Should I go to a dealership?
    Feel free to post what your company does when someone complains about a bad part five or more years after they made their purchase? Then you can pass it along to HMC.

I am not an apologist for any industry. I understand that these are complicated machines and things go wrong.
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    When I reported the problem I asked for them to provide some monetary assistance. They did ask the question as to whether I was offered an extended warranty by the dealer (I was not), and whether the dealer had given me any warranty (1 year powertrain). They also asked where I bought the car from (a Honda dealer). I had it repaired at a Honda dealer also.

Bottom line you need to ask them for assistance in the repair or at least some reimbursement for the repair (if its already been done). I don't belive they are going to offer this. Also keep in mind that the person you first talk to is only taking information. They will turn this over to a district person who actively gets involved with your case and calls you back in a day or two.

I'd make the call again.

Jack
  • kellysmomkellysmom Member Posts: 2
    How is the compressor blowing a safety issue? Mine disintegrted as I was going 70MPH on the highway, parts became road debris. Independent mechanic quoted me $1,800 for repairs and advised me to sell the car instead of repairing it. My wonderful brother advised me call Honda America and look on the Internet for like problems. Thanks to him and this forum I persisted with Honda and got an authorization for 100% coverage. Their first offer was they supply parts I pay $560 labor, I continued to state my case and called the owner of the dealership and bingo. Thanks Rick Case in South Florida.
  • starbuckstarbuck Member Posts: 2
    How about this for a safety issue: I can't transport my 4 week old son anywhere in this heat without his little head exploding. Again, what are the things I am not saying to the people at the other end of the 800 number to get them to heed my concerns and help shoulder the responsibility? $1600 repair job on a 4 year old car that seems to typically crap the bed on people should be an onus that Honda bears, or least partially bears.
    Have you tried the dealer? Just be calm, work the facts on car age, miles (1st owner?) Is dealer helpfull? If not take to another dealer? Sounds like you may be going to a non-honda service center(My guess), it will be harder to get total payment that way.
    Jeane: "Feel free to post what your company does when someone complains about a bad part five or more years after they made their purchase?"

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there. Are you saying that people should expect their cars to start falling apart after 5yrs?

This is part of the problem, people have been conditioned that when it comes to cars, you shouldn't expect much for your $20,000...we're just conditioned to think "it's a car...things fall apart."

Either way, I've read this entire thread, and I seem to see just as many people with CRVs that are less than 5yrs old having this problem as those with CRVs more than 5yrs old, so I think it's a moot point.
    Again, my CRV is only turning 2yrs old next month, so I think that even with 35,000 miles on it, I have every right to have a reasonable expectation that a major part in the car isn't going to implode the day after the warranty runs out.

UPDATE: We took the hard line w/ the dealer, saying, "we've done the research, and it appears you guys are having problems with this part. We're going to either get Honda Corporate to take accountability, or you guys can just save everyone a lot of time and effort by helping us out now."
    He then tells us he'll have to check with someone on the West Coast.

20min later, he calls back to say it will be fixed free of charge.

It was a good day!
    O'Neal Honda in Overland Park, KS just called. They installed a completely new A/C (compressor, condenser, etc.) in our 2004 CR-V and did not charge us anything! Free parts and labor. Somebody pinch me - this must be a dream. I purchased my first car 30 years ago, and I can say without equivocation that this is the first time I have felt entirely satisfied in my dealings with a dealership and/or manufacturer. There was no hassle, no negotiations. My already strong brand loyalty to Honda just became even stronger!

Hope many of you can report similar testimonials.

Joe in KC
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there. Are you saying that people should expect their cars to start falling apart after 5yrs?

Actually yes. Cars start "falling apart" the day they are driven off the lot. It is a machine that has tremendous wear and tear put on it every minute. Do you think nothing should happen?

This is part of the problem, people have been conditioned that when it comes to cars, you shouldn't expect much for your $20,000...we're just conditioned to think "it's a car...things fall apart."

So the purchaser of a $20000 vehicle should get five years of free parts replacement? What about the purchaser of a $40000 vehicle? 10 years? I think that's why they have warranties.

You vehicle was driven ~48% more distance in it's two year life than the national average. You had a part go bad while still in warranty and it is being replaced (even though you took the "hard line"---not usually the best way to get something that the corporation has been doing gratis). Not sure what else you are seeking.
    I'm not actually seeking anything else than what I already got...I was actually conducting a line of conversation with another poster..you may have taken what I'm saying out of context without reading all my past posts.

First: I never said the car was under warranty. In my original post, I mentioned that it would cost us more than 1,000 to fix it, which I think should imply that it's not going to be covered under a warranty.

So the purchaser of a $20000 vehicle should get five years of free parts replacement? What about the purchaser of a $40000 vehicle? 10 years? I think that's why they have warranties.

Second: No, this is not what I'm saying...what I'm actually saying is that people have come to expect that their cars are going to fall apart and they'll just have to deal...which in my opinion, has provided an "out" to car companies, who can use this mentality to skate on issues like these and ultimately produce a car that runs, but is filled with shoddy secondary features...like bad AC compressors, shoddy window motors, flimsy switches and buttons, etc.

Example, if you spent $20,000 install central AC in your home, and used it 10-20 days in the span of 2 years, and then the compressor blew, you'd be pretty pissed. And you'd sure as hell call up the contractor and get his butt out to your house to fix it, and you'd ask him why on earth it failed after a couple dozen uses.

But the way it works with cars, it seems, is that car manufacturers get a free pass, because the general public has convinced itself that just because the car itself is moving around a lot, that a relatively simplistic technology (like an AC compressor, CD player, or window motor) should be "expected" to crap out much sooner.

Does the fact that my electric window motors on my old Ford all went in the same 2 yr period? Even though I hardly ever used the back windows? Does the fact that the car is driving have anything to do with how those motors operate?

Does the fact that in another car I only got 30,000 miles out of my first stereo, and 35,000 out of the one they replaced under warranty, have anything to do with the fact that the car is a moving object?

My point is that I could drive my car 500% over the national average, but it shouldn't have any impact on how soon the AC compressor goes out. What matters is how much you "drive" the AC itself.

BTW: I work with stats for a living, and I'll tell you right now...you can say anything with statistics. I'd be willing to bet that this national average for driving distance in a year is severely skewed on the low side, by two things:
    1. The extensive number of people living in metropolitan areas who may own cars, but who don't need to actually drive them every day.
    2. The number of people who don't have to go to far to work...say, under 20miles...but need to have their car actually turned on for more than an hour to do it because of gridlock.
  • irishpassionirishpassion Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Honda CRV as well. Mine blew 3 days ago. As your we are over our warranty. We bought the car brand new and have had no problems with it until this. I have 2 small children and live in Las Vegas so I know about 110 weather. I am planning to call Honda in the am but after reading about your experience with them, I'm ready for a battle!
    Example, if you spent $20,000 install central AC in your home, and used it 10-20 days in the span of 2 years, and then the compressor blew, you'd be pretty pissed. And you'd sure as hell call up the contractor and get his butt out to your house to fix it, and you'd ask him why on earth it failed after a couple dozen uses.

I hear what you are saying and in a perfect world your example would be what happens but I have never experienced what you describe. So if you know an HVAC person in the Chicago area who will guarantee their work for years please post.
  • ewommackewommack Member Posts: 1
    We are dealing with Nally Honda in Brunswick Georgia about our 2002 CRV with a bad A/C. Thanks for giving us the info we need to take to the dealer. We will see how they handle the problem. As of right now we have 11 hondas in or family and it will be a GREAT disapointment if they dont help us out. So far the dealer has been nice and the corporate coustmer service has been polite. We will keep everyone posted as information comes in. Right now they want service records and the address to this forum? Stay Tuned!
    2002 CRV 39,000 miles
  • snowy3snowy3 Member Posts: 2
    its been 12 days after i posted a message here.
    anyways,here's an update of what happened. after 20 minutes of posting a message here, we got a call from the dealership in california that Honda corporate was paying for the parts but we are reponsible for the labor--that is 1300. my husband told them that we will think about it.
    since we had a case number from honda corporate, he immediately called the corporate office and asked them have about any decision made with our pending case. He was told Valley Hi Honda dealership was informed that everything will be covered. My husband then told him that we got a call from them telling us to pay for the 1300.00 for labor. Customer rep from corporate told him apparently they did not understand what was communicated to them and said not to worry he will call them again. 30 minutes after, dealership calls and informs us that there was a miscommunication and we will get it fixed free of charge -- so called "goodwill warranty."
    Since then our Honda CRV had been fixed, with 110 weather here, that's a blessing.

I had a call from honda corporate today and asked me if everything went well. I thanked them for giving us "goodwill warranty." Told him it was our 3rd honda car, but it's a 2004 honda crv, really just 2 1/2 years, out of warranty at 44,000 miles but honda cars should not start breaking down in 2 1/2 years, of which he agreed.
    I'm still driving my first honda - a 1994 civic. I do thank Honda corporate for their help, but i wasn't happy with the dealership for trying to sneak up on us.
    Also we had to pay for $85.00 diagnostic. I asked Mike from Honda corporate if it was part of the "goodwill warranty," and he said unfortunately since we already paid for it, that it is up to the dealership to decide if we will get anything back from them or not. My guess, probably not.
    We also asked the dealership about warranty on the ac compressor and nobody knows, we have to wait for the service manager who is on vacation to let us know. I hope it does not happen again since i've read from some messages that they've had to get it fixed again for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Again, thank you Honda. I will still buy Honda but maybe avoid going to this dealer.
  • tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    Dropped my car off on Tuesday. Dealer confirmed the compressor and clutch were dead. I told them about what I found out in this forum (compressor issue with 02'-03' CR-V and goodwill warranty). They called Honda Corporate. Honda approved for a "one time goodwill warranty" and covered all cost. On one hand, I am glad that Honda stepped up and fixed the problem. They could say too bad your warranty expired at 36k miles, you are on your own. On the other hand, I am quite disappointed with the dead transmission at 37k and dead compressor at 66k miles. I had a 88' Prelude with 120k on it with no problem at all. We are looking to replace this CR-V next year. Need to think about what car to get...