Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V AC Compressor Problems

Comments

• madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    His reply about a class action makes sense. Root cause, who knows. For those with multiple failures, I still cannot figure out how the same thing could happen especially since the same batch of compressors are probably not being used for the replacements.
  • kisseypookisseypoo Member Posts: 29
    I'm not an engineer, but I would suspect that if there is a design defect in the a/c compressor then it wouldn't matter which batch of compressors my first or second or third compressor was from. Unless the design was modified between batches to correct the defect, the same thing could happen again. Perhaps someone on this forum with engineering design experience can speak to this.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my #3 a/c compressor doesn't "expire" before I sell or trade my CR-V,
    KP
  • erskine74erskine74 Member Posts: 1
    Billie
    Our air just went out in our 2002 CRV with 75000 miles on it, you think Honda will fix this thing for us, I understand the cost of a new compressor is out of this world?
    Other than the air conditioning and having a strange noise coming from the rear of the car when we turn around in a parking lot its been ok. It has the AWDrive on it.

Thanks James Gambrell
  • brashobrasho Member Posts: 3
    I talked really nice to the lady at Honda and it didn't do anything. She states there are no recalls or extension of warranties so there is nothing that the Honda Corporation can do and that I should check with the dealer to see what they could do. This is totally unacceptable, I'm ready to throw my support behind ANY lawsuits.
  • brashobrasho Member Posts: 3
    Mine and many others were with the compressor shaft being broken and locked up. Sounds like to me they are using shoddy metal quality or craftmanship considering these parts are just breaking off and flying throughout the system. I understand it can be up to 300 psi inside the AC but for all of these problems with the compressors to exist there has to be a reason--most likely due to inferior parts.

Does anybody that actually received assistance from Honda actually have a name or extension of somebody that could help me? My representative seemed to only know the word, "no".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We frown on the publishing of people's names on the forum since those third parties may not want to be talked about here. Phone numbers change all the time too, and we get complaints about those.

But if you'll mark your email public in your profile, other members will be able to reach you off the forum. Thanks.
  • ajf27ajf27 Member Posts: 18
    That is crap!! They should be able to help you at least somewhat. I was also told that there are no recalls or extended warranties BUT there is something called "Goodwill Assistance" in which Honda is willing to help out the customer (even after a warranty expires) to keep the customer happy. That's what I was told anyway. They seem to be handing out this "Goodwill Assistance" left and right with this air compressor issue and you should DEFINITELY get some assistance. I would ask for another case worker and if that doesn't help, I would ask to speak to a manager. You have to be persistent. I know it also sucks to bring up this forum and examples of other CR-Vs. They will just tell you that they are not responsible for what is on the internet and people can post whatever they want. I found this forum to be EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL in my case and am very thankful to everyone who has posted their stories. Don't give up. And if all else fails, tell them you are done with Honda, going to tell everyone you know about how they did you wrong, and send them a new picture of your Toyota (someone else on here did that!). haha. GOOD LUCK!!
  • yozz25yozz25 Member Posts: 8
    It appears mine crapped out yesterday. Very hot here in Nev. Thought something went wrong with the brakes, car stalled, had to re-start, then AC was weak. Looks like same problem discussed here.

CRV 2003 with about 41K on it.

Looks like a defect considering amount of posts.

Let's see if Honda takes the ball on this one.

Will report back, meanwhile will use wife' car.

Yozz25, roger and out
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    your strange noise in the rear is most likely the rear differential. You will need to bring it in and get the fluids changed out. Unfortunately at 75,XXX miles it is past the suggested change interval and you will have to pay for it yourself. Bring it in to a dealership and they should be able to do it in under 1 hour.
  • bedilbedil Member Posts: 11
    My ac on my 2003 crv died at 43,ooo miles. I sent an email to the service manager at the Honda dealership. He sent me his cell phone number and said he thought he could help me out. I took the car into the dealership, had to sign an estimate $79 before they could check out the car. Honda America covered all costs. I have purchased Hondas there every 4 years since 1987 and had them serviced there. I'm sure that had something to do with the way my case was handled.

Good luck! :shades:
  • stinger54stinger54 Member Posts: 1
    I understand most customer's concerns about the air conditoner going out at mileages under what they expect. Most Honda customers purchased these vehicle's because of their reputation for reliability. For the most part, according to J.D. Powers and Associates, even with some mechanical problems, Honda vehicles are very high in reliability, resale value, cost of ownership and reputation as compared to other makes. What is most concerning is customers entitled mindset that the manufacturer should pick up the tab forever! Where is the stopping point? In no other industry will any manufacturer go so far beyond their stated warranty to help build repurchase intent as Honda Motor Corporation and some other auto manufacturers. New car dealers offer each and every customer an opportunity to purchase extended service contracts that will protect their investment beyond the new car limited warranty. You can accecpt or decline. When you elect to decline and a part fails you expect the manufacturer to repair or replace the part at no cost to you when the customer that chose to protect their investment had to pay for the warranty contract so it could be covered down the road. What if I decided to decline health care (oh, I never get sick) now I'm sick and
    need a doctor to treat me. Should I get the same care with no out of pocket expense as the person who elected to take responsibility and protect himself! That's what this world have come to. I want it all but I don't want to pay for it. I say, get over it, stop your whinning and pay for the repair from a reputable repair shop or dealer with the best warranty for their repairs. All vehicles have problems and when the warranty has expired you are own your own! Make the decision up front to protect your investment for as long as you are able. Some of us have paid health insurance for years and never used it. How many have purchased a term life insurance policy and are still here reading this post. Well, that's life! If the manufacturer decides to 'Goodwill' anything, be grateful and pay your share. They don't have to do anything. Happy motoring!
    Stinger54
    Sounds good Bedil.

Today called Honda Corporate.

They told me this is a known problem.

They said first go to dealer for diagnosis in addition to telling me that low mileage of 41K is in my favor. 2003 CRV.

They said if not satisfied with dealer offer, to call them back and see what they can do.

Sounds like we are on the right track.

So will call dealer for Appt.

Will report back

Yozz25 R and O ;)
    Oh Boy! fire and brimstone will rain down on you for your last statement. But expressing your option is what the forums are for right? :surprise:
  • sostaffedsostaffed Member Posts: 2
    Last week I decided to give my local dealership service center once last chance. i emailed the manager and explained my plight from last year (and how his service rep treated me) to present (third implosion), let him know that THIS TIME I knew the issue was commom and widespread and pleasantly asked what he thought he and Honda might be able to do under the circumstances. I got invited to bring it in so they could see what the "real" problem was. I dropped it off on Friday, further letting them now that I was pretty sure what the problem was as I had experienced the sypmtoms far too often before. By midday, I recieved a call. All had been replaced FREE of charge, with profuse apology for my inconvenience(s). That's $1100 they "ate" to my utter suprise (after I paid $700 out of pocket just last year). Seems more Honda dealer service centers may be finally admitting there's a systemic problem, and there are a lot of consumers who aren't going to take crap from them or Honda Customer Care or give them any more business. Can't say they've regained my trust completely, but I'm giving my local service manager props for taking care of this this time. I did let them know they would definitely see me before those 12k warranty miles are up, if it lasts that long.... I've started asking everyone I know or see driving a CRV if thier AC has blown up yet, just to let them know they're not alone if it does.
    I would suggest giving the dealership a call and letting them know how much you appreciate your service Managers help. It seems that if more of them step up, if honda doesn't there would be a lot less people complaining about the compressor issue. To bad it was 4th times the charm. ;)
    Dear Stinger,
    I think ALL of us are quite willing to pay for a repair that is justified. When I first found out about my compressor (before I found this forum), I was bummed that I was facing a $1,200.00 repair BUT I was preparing to pay for it. I googled "Honda 2004 a/c compressors" to find out how much they cost when low and behold, I stumbled across this forum. I am not a "whiner" and would have never thought to call Honda. Luckily, I did stumble across the forum and I only had to pay $250 of that cost. For those of us who are struggling in this recession, this price difference is a big deal.

After reading over 850 posts of people who ALL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH THEIR AIR COMPRESSOR, I decided that I should try to get some compensation as well. Keep in mind that Honda would not be giving out this "Goodwill Assistance" if they didn't see a common problem and defect in their compressors. Also, this forum would not exist.

So please, save your posts for another forum. Perhaps a forum in which people are on the other side of this fight. All of us in this forum are on the same page and are here to help each other out. Do you even own a CR-V???
  • azonerazoner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 CRV and just had Honda USA pick up 100% of the cost of replacing the Air Conditioning unit. Helped that when we brought our vehicle to the dealer we were told that they've been seeing a lot of problems with the AC in the CRVs. The service advisor said that because of so many failures, Honda USA was kicking in toward the repair, that it was a warranty issue. Our CRV is 4 years old, with 75,000 miles. Also helps that I have a friend who works for a Honda dealer in another city who told me that they're constantly replacing the AC units in the CRVs free of charge due to manufacturer's defect. In our area, the Honda regional rep seems to have worked out a standard deal where they tell the customers that they only have to pay $1000 toward the cost of the $3400 AC replacement cost. I guess most folks just go for that without questioning it. Fact is, if it's a warranty issue due to a manufacturers' defect then Honda should be picking up 100% of the replacement cost. Luckily we were patient with the Honda Regional Rep and continue to explain why we felt that Honda should pick up the tab, and after waiting it out a few days, we got what we wanted, and what was fair - short of a class action suit against Honda, it's the best we could hope for, and I suggest anyone having a similar problem with their defective AC in their Honda CRV be persistent and get Honda USA to fix the problem, at no charge to their customers. Good luck.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Consumer Reports magazine readers rate the reliability of Honda's climate system is as "well above average" for all years rated except 2002, 2003, and 2004. For those years the reliability is rated "average," i.e., no worse than average for all cars. Not bad, but not Honda either.

I can see why Honda's isn't issuing a recall. And it's "goodwill" policy of compensating based on mileage, and probably other factors, makes sense. What doesn't is that uninformed customers just pay the bill. They get no compensation, while others, like those who discover this forum, are compensated for a system that Honda acknowledges isn't performing to Honda standards. Honda's policy doesn't look fair to me. All owners should be treated the same way.

But if one ever needs an example of the squeaky wheel gets the grease, this is it.
  • kisseypookisseypoo Member Posts: 29
    Maybe those of us who monitor this site because we've had one/multiple CR-V a/c compressor problems should "bombard" Consumer Reports with the tale of our a/c failure. Also, we should alert them to this forum. That may cause Consumer Reports to change their rating of the CR-V's climate control rating or, at the very least, investigate it. Perhaps, then, Honda will treat everyone who has had an a/c compressor failure equitably. Any thoughts?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    CR gets their ratings from the annual survey that is sent out to all subscribers..

So, if you want to be part of their ratings, you have to subscribe...

It's a good magazine, so it isn't like you don't get anything for your money..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host--former CR-V owner

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It seems this is a "problem" with many people, thus the best thing to do is bombard corporate with a letter, either certified or not, and wait for the canned reply.

If only several hundred people are complaining on this forum, then it must be much more widespread. The bottom line is a faulty compressor, it happens, and they should work out a deal with dealer to assist anyone who comes in with this problem.

If enough letters get sent, with cc's to the news/papers/Tv stations, they may very well do damage control.

Have to approach this systematically with the hope that it is made public, something Honda dreads. They have a reputation to keep

yozz25
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "If enough letters get sent, with cc's to the news/papers/Tv stations, they may very well do damage control. "

Or they may get mad and decide that it is a legal liability to pay any money... and stop providing "good will" support.

Some people consider payment to be an admission of liability. It isn't, but Honda corporate may decide that too many people think it is.
  • bedilbedil Member Posts: 11
    Wo! I think you are on the wrong page! In case you are unaware, this site is for people who have CRVs with air conditioner problems. We help each other out.

Why don't you google USPS and type in "postal"? :confuse:
  • bctampabctampa Member Posts: 11
    Two weeks ago, I tried my best to obtain the defective compressor so that I could have a Forensic Engineer perform a failure analysis.

Dealer refused to relinquish compressor.
    Honda "assisted" with 50% ( unsatisfactory to me ).
    Therefore the component is "Honda's property" which they claim will have an analysis,but that I won't be able to have a copy of the result.
    I've already replied to your post - see #826
    To say I strongly disagree with your position is being polite.
    refer to my post #826 for a beginning.

I believe this issue would provide fodder also on the Freakonomics blog @ NYTimes.
    Let the economists sort through the issue on a number of fronts.

Is there any representation of gender bias? I wonder how WOW.com & Jezebel would react.

Isn't it fathomable to then get it to Digg and Drudge?

Who might mine the social networking sites for reports as well; I'm not a participant.

Let Honda "restore good faith".
    One thing I learned is to err on the side of "going for it". If you say nothing, that is what you get.

Most of the time, by approaching a problem systematically, with many people writing in a form letter, fear takes hold in the minds of the Honda's of the world, and they do what they gotta do to "put the fire out"

It would be good if someone designs a small form letter to be copied and pasted and we can all write in, if it is not done, then I will do it in a few days
    yozz :shades:
    [as replied to # 900]

refer to my post #826 for a beginning.

I believe this issue would provide fodder also on the Freakonomics blog @ NYTimes.
    Let the economists sort through the issue on a number of fronts.

Is there any representation of gender bias? I wonder how WOW.com & Jezebel would react.

Isn't it fathomable to then get it to Digg and Drudge?

Who might mine the social networking sites for reports as well; I'm not a participant.

Let Honda "restore good faith".
    --------------------
    stevedebi: I propose that a case could be made that it would be less expensive for Honda to issue some type of renumeration program, if not a total recall, than to risk the outcome of reports from "slow news days" of every "investigative (ahem) reporter" in every little 'burb.
    Geez it doesn't take much to see this problem exists in Canada, Australia, and parts of Europe.
  • horchatahorchata Member Posts: 2
    Phew! I picked my CR-V up last night from the Honda dealer and the a/c is nice and chilly! After 3 days in the shop (due to the warranty people requiring an independent adjuster's opinion), they fixed everything contaminated by the "grenading" air compressor. $3100 for everything & I didn't have to pay a dime. Thank goodness it blew while the 3 month warranty was still in effect. Now I am crossing my fingers that we won't have a repeat grenading for the rest of my CR-V's (hopefully) long life. Thanks all for the advice.
  • mdwstdrvr007mdwstdrvr007 Member Posts: 1
    My compressor went out last week and the dealership gave me a $2400 estimate for the fix. They also offered to charge me the warranty rate which would get the price down to $1400.

Does anyone feel that this is a reasonable offer? I am really upset with Honda because I have been going to the Honda dealership for the last 6 years and I feel that they should have at least warned me about this known issue.

I'm thinking about calling Honda Corporate but don't know if it would do me any good.
    You have to remember that the cost they are eating is inflated.

Honda to rectify a situation that can ruin their reputation probably supplies the parts free to the dealer, after getting a break from the supplier who made the faulty compressor, and then may reimburse the dealer a fraction of what you would pay retail.

So something that would retail for 1200 bucks to repair may actually set back Honda perhaps a few hundred bucks at best. It's the dealer who is probably trying to suck as much out of you as they can, as it is their choice. But a bit of arm twisting from Honda, about keeping the reputation that sells the car may be at work here.

Whatever the case, anything is negotiable..

yozz :shades:
    See my message and push the ticket with corporate. Bargain hard and try another dealer, take your time, time is on your side as more and more of these compressors will fail

yozz
  • billiestampsbilliestamps Member Posts: 4
    The first time mine went out (more than 36,000 miles/out of warranty) Honda paid the total cost of repair, which they said was $2,500. It just went out ten days ago, at 76,000 miles. This time they have offered to pay half, and my half is $1,287.
    I was getting ready to trade when new models came out. They now offer me $6,000 for my car in trade. I'm not happy at all. Have been shopping dealerships with an offer that they can't possibly accept at this point. Have also put my car on Craig's list and plan to put a sign on it and park it in front yard. It's a fabulous car except for the air and if someone else wants to fix it I think they can shop around and fix it for a WHOLE LOT less. Mine did not make any loud noise when it went out. This time I was living in fantasyland and thought maybe it just needed freon. Oh, how I wish. This was my sixth Honda and the lady in service told me the problem is with the 2002 and 2003 models when I mentioned to her I was ready to trade for a new CR-V before this happened and that now they couldn't give me one. When they tell me that, you can bet I'm feel very, very upset that my car is now a trade that will go straight to the auction and worthless.
  • bwtwswbwtwsw Member Posts: 4
    A continuation of posts 813, 859. Our CRV was repaired and has worked fine for the last week.
    Brian at Honda America would only agree to pay for parts. Brian was unable to explain how this amount was arrived at.
    I asked for and recieved the old compressor and condenser. As far as I can tell they replaced the compressor with the same brand as the original.
    Thanks to all who have posted!
  • bwtwswbwtwsw Member Posts: 4
    The dealership gave me my old compressor and condenser.
    Just got back from dealer.

Said compressor was shot, showed me an invoice for $3400, but said dealer will fix as a courtesy. I asked "what does that mean" They said for free, works for me.

They took me home, just waiting for call when it is ready.

2003 CRV had 41K on it.

So I guess they did the right thing here.

Yozz :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "stevedebi: I propose that a case could be made that it would be less expensive for Honda to issue some type of renumeration program, if not a total recall, than to risk the outcome of reports from "slow news days" of every "investigative (ahem) reporter" in every little 'burb.
    Geez it doesn't take much to see this problem exists in Canada, Australia, and parts of Europe. "

I haven't heard of the European CR-V having problems. They use a different engine over there, I think...

But in any case Honda is a Japanese origin company. They have very strict social rules over there, and pushing a company is not in those rule sets. Protocol is important, and I think that those who approach Honda corporate with the right attitude will do better. Those who go in with a chip on their shoulder will have a tougher time. I think this is true with all companies, but especially with Japanese originated companies.

Not that I don't understand the frustration, just making a comment...
    Gee that's great yozz, you kinda lucked out.

Way to go

Yozz :P
    "But in any case Honda is a Japanese origin company. They have very strict social rules over there, and pushing a company is not in those rule sets. Protocol is important, and I think that those who approach Honda corporate with the right attitude will do better. Those who go in with a chip on their shoulder will have a tougher time. I think this is true with all companies, but especially with Japanese originated companies."

stevedebi: It's possible that once again we are viewing this situation from different aspects and opinions.

The traditional corporate culture you describe has been dissipating for quite some time. Theory "Z" is also a thing of the past. While there still remains some vestiges of monopoly company interplay, by and large it's reported that economic globalization has taken the front seat to shaping "Protocol" as you've referred.

I may have been misunderstood or unclear in what I advocate.
    I believe the best way to precede is with respect, clarity and sound reasoning.
    I expect the same in return.

When this format fails however and loyal customers are being treated with such documented blatant, discrimination it then becomes necessary that one meet the adversarial position with something better than compliance.

It should not be necessary for customers seeking equal treatment to have to endure
    the anxiety of arguing with a "case manager" for over an hour. The uneven tactics reported here are not conducive to remedying the trouble endured due to failing components that don't measure up to Honda's standards.
    I've opened a separate email account in the event it becomes mutually beneficial to exchange information in attempting to get a better solution from Honda.

My profile contains the addy.

I am not soliciting some massive influx of emails.

My opinions and presentation has and will continue to be posted on this forum.

I believe 99.99% of the discussion should take place on this forum.

I may request from some of you "verification" of your statements.
    It would be better to have the facts when Honda's case "managers" assert that research on the internet is unreliable.

Thanks to all for responses and for the collective efforts of the members.

For those of you also seeking solutions, here's a Wikipedia link that gives a quick summary of the book "How to Solve It".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Solve_It
    The Consumerist posted this article today:
    "7 Things You Should Never Say To a Customer Service Rep . . ."

http://consumerist.com/5035392/7-things-you-should-never-say-to-a-customer-servi- ce-rep-and-7-things-you-should
    see # 920

I've just posted a summary of the situation to The Consumerist, as a response to the article mentioned above.

What action can we count some others of you to begin today?
    Can we get the word out in a responsible manner?
  • veryunhappy08veryunhappy08 Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, just an update to my last post. I sent a certified letter to Honda America and had a representative call me after a week to tell me there was nothing she could do because my car was out of warranty. To say the least, I was upset. And her point was....??? I knew that my car was out of warranty. I mean the A/C units were defective even if my car and many other Honda CR-Vs were out of warranty. I am now searching for an attorney who will take on this class action law suit against Honda America for A/C units, compressors that have gone bad and contaminated the entire A/C systems. I have never had to search for an attorney to do a class action lawsuit; however, I feel too many people are having the same issues with their CR-Vs and we who have already paid, are getting cheated for a defective part they know about. If you want to be part of this class action suit if and when I get one started and find an attorney, or if anyone has already began one, please email me at

upsethondacustomers@charter.net

Please include in the subject line "Honda A/C issues" or your email will be deleted as spam. Thanks and looking forward to getting all the people who want to join in on the band wagon. I will keep you posted and hopefully wish me luck where I can get an attorney soon to begin this battle.

Thanks!

Maria
  • deathchargedeathcharge Member Posts: 2
    Hello all . so Yeah last week my Compressor blowed up and burned a belt AND sent metal particles to the AC unit .. totally destroying it . My former boss sold me his 2003 CR-v and yes everything was working fine. funny thing is after researching all this posts I figured I would contact Honda USA and talk about it. The Representative asked me ... " What would you Honda to do for you?" ... And I told her replace the damaged parts . I mean I know it is an old car but NO car on the market does what this one just did. She said she couldn't agree to that since the Warranty was up ... I said .. ok then .. tell me Who manufactures the piece and I will ask them to re-imburse me for the other half . To my surprise she claimed she could not disclose that information ... and then I asked ok so then you WILL warrant me that the Dealer will replace this compressor with a newer non defective model ... She then said NO it would be replaced with a "Fixed" part .... I mean is what Honda doing even LEGAL ? If they know they have defective product in their cars an it could potentially cause an Accident... And to be fair I even told her ... I dont think it was Honda's fault that the compressor failed I believe it was the manufacturers problem and that Honda should actually go after them for the money too. But she claimed that there was nothing she could do about that ... So as of today August 13 2008 I plan to join that Class action suit against Honda not due to the fact that I want any extra money . But as a principle that if Honda think reputation can let them get by with [non-permissible content removed] part design they should rethink their bussiness practices.

P.S. And yes it is an old car but if Honda KNOWS about a defective part and opts to stay quiet and see how far they can get... then they are NOT as good a company as we all thought it was.
    Sorry to hear about your CR-V. Welcome to the club! SO, are you another one who is not getting reimbursed at all?!? What a shame. I only had to pay $250 but I strongly believe none of us should have to pay a dime. Oh, and your car is NOT old. It is a Honda. It is supposed to last forever. That's the reputation right? My in-laws drove their Civic until 275,000 miles. I know that I did NOT buy a 2004 CR-V to have the a/c compressor blow up in 2008 and cost $1,200.00. Good luck! I'm so glad this class action suit has finally begun.
    Let us know the outcome. What is your mileage and did Honda America ask you to get an estimate from the dealer? I still cannot get over the range of estimates on a full replacement.
    I did find out that mine needed the full replacement (the metal had contaminated the other systems). Anyway, I was one of the lower quotes ($1,200.00). Do you suppose that Honda is raising the quotes to around $3,000.00 for some so that when they "reimburse" you, you are actually being tricked into paying the full cost?!? Seems kind of shady but quite possible. There is no reason the price difference should be that big of a range. Something to think about.....
    Yes, that is what I am thinking since some folks with lower quotes were from a 2nd quote doing the same work(complete system) with a shop other than the dealer. Was your quote with a dealer?
  • oanhscrvoanhscrv Member Posts: 1
    Does your CR-V have a funny AC smell (perhaps) due to some leakage of the compressor?
    Yes. I went to the dealership first for a quote, armed with this info from the forum. My plan was to wait for the diagnosis first and the estimate, and then bring up this forum. Surprisingly, the service manager had already contacted Honda (before I mentioned it) and that's how they came to the conclusion that I would pay for the labor, and they would pay for the parts. The service manager told me the total cost would be $1,200.00 but I would only have to pay $460. It was at this point that I called Honda and opened a case as I didn't think I should have to pay for any of it. They bargained with me and brought the price down to $250. The dealership told me that they see these a/c compressor issues "all the time" and they are used to dealing with Corporate in negotiating a price.