Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Noise, Rattles and Vibration

13»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    saturn20,
    I apologize for your frustrations. My best suggestion is to have the vehicle diagnoised by a GM dealer. Please keep me updated on your progress with your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kaayzeekaayzee Member Posts: 3
    i have a saturn vue 05 60k miles. I have several issues. One when you turn the wheel there is a clicking noise... two, there is a vibration noise in the front but not all the time. sometimes when accelerating it is stuck like the wheels arent catching...the tires were new and wore out around the edges in the front in less than a year. it sounds like the front end is going to fall apart. mechanics have had differing opinions. i did not go to gm yet as i can not afford dealer labor costs. any clue what may be wrong? also on start up the car continues to turn over but will not start right away unless gas tank is full all the way. Yikes this car has quickly gone south all at once!
  • azhunterazhunter Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like a few things. I would have the cv joints looked at bushings in front end and have the motor mounts inspected. I over looked my mounts because I swore it was my suspension area turned out all the vibration was from broken mounts n tires out off balance. The rattle from the tires like metal hitting metal on bumps is the caliper pins the must be lubed up really good to create like a cushion. The tire wear sounds like bad bushings or ball joints or even an alignment problem.
    Thank you... I will ask my mechanic to do so... will let you know..
  • bismarck318bismarck318 Member Posts: 49
    To my understanding, a bad wheel bearing on these newer cars sound like a whizzing alternator type sound (as my Lumina APV had), unlike the older vehicles that had a rough groveling sound.

Though you are all claming this is a vibration sound?

There were 8 (eight) front wheel bearing services performed on my vehicle by the previous owner at a Saturn dealership before the vehicle was 3 years old, wouldn't this have qualified for a lemon law or something?
  • bismarck318bismarck318 Member Posts: 49
    Note on the backside of the inboard rotor (toward the center), there is a small round tab that looks like it's part of a heat shield assembly that rubs while rotating causing a jangling noise. On occasion I have bent this tab out but since it's a spring metal it eventally starts rubbing again. I can't figure out it's function either.
  • shadyb721shadyb721 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hello everyone. My name is Billy and my wife and I own a 2003 Vue AWD Redline Edition. We purchased this used back in 2009 and since day one it makes a noise at 30 mph and above while driving. It almost sounds like you're going over a rumble strip on the highway. Sometimes it repeats itself over and over and sometimes it's one and done. Another issue is a whizzing like noise while driving 30 mph and above. My mechanic went for a ride with me so I could show him and he heard both noises. The rumble strip noise he said could possibly be something with tranny maybe and the whizzing noise sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Has anybody else had these issues and if so, are the repairs costly? I am worried about because of the AWD that the axles could be bad also. We also have an issue when trying to turn the Vue on after inserting the key that we have to fight it to turn it over like the key gets stuck and doesn't want to turn. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are considering trading it in for something else as we don't know how costly the repairs would be or what the issues are for that matter!
  • bjp2011bjp2011 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Vue AWD V6 with the same rumble strip noise but I have come to the conclusion that it is the loosely installed body panels and front grille assembly. All of the parts are plastic composite and expand and contract with heat and cold so they are installed with give. Other than the constant rattles and squeaks, the car is great but I am getting rid of it because of the annoying sounds.
    I had a whiny noise, more like a low hum that turned out to be a front wheel bearing. About a $300 repair. Good luck.
    Ok Hadte entire front suspension replaced at my cost .took it to the dealer to have the torque converter adjusted. now experience the vibration at 40 to 50 miles per hour instead of 25-30. the transmission is now squealing and it feels like the back brakes no longer work. the car bearly will stop when in reverse. but this is absurd. 60,000 miles not paid off. what recourse do I have so I know what to say when I go back to the dealer?I was told by a prive mechanic this is all due to the awd transmissions.
    any help appreciated !
  • djmykeldjmykel Member Posts: 3
    I really hate to be the person with the bad news, but the vibration is the steering column... something in them starts to wear out and you get that vibration... if you start to feel the vibration, take your left foot and prop it up against the column where it comes through the floor board, you will feeel if vibrating (be careful trying this)... replacing the column will STOP the vibration completely... ( i wish I had known this $3800 ago)... good luck with your VUE.
  • bjp011bjp011 Member Posts: 5
    The noise I had and still have is so annoying that I am going to give my Vue away to my daughter (she plays the stereo too loud to hear anything) I think it is the poorly executed assembly of plastic panels without having a gasket between panels. The vehicle runs great, it is just noisey and windy on the inside because of the bad door seals. It was a mistake to buy it. Why this vehicle has plastic panels and the Chevy Equinox has metal is beyond my level of common sense. I guess they just wanted to spend more money making the Vue and make zero profit. Now we know why they are gone.
  • allcarshatemeallcarshateme Member Posts: 1
    Your rotors when they get old or to hot they welt and arent even or flat :) buy new rotors and brakes. Belive it or not they make front end vibrate and jump if still check little arms that turn ur tires they get old last bad struts
  • bjp011bjp011 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I already put new rotors and brakes and nothing underneath car is lose or worn. It sounds as if it is just lose body panels. It doesn't have a metal rattling sound. Very annoying. I found that if I play radio loud enough, the rattles go away. LOL.
  • nixoniannixonian Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 vue hybrid and no matter the speed being driven you can hear a noise sounding like mud tires, (or a truck with huge tires)...Of course the faster you go the louder it gets. This is a constant noise, not intermittent. I was told it was a hub bearing going out and had it re-evaluated... and no hub problem. Anyone care to guess???
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning nixonian,

Unfortunately I don't have access to technical information to help troubleshoot on this. If we can look to see if there are any open recalls or get you details about warranty information, please send us the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nixoniannixonian Member Posts: 2
    7s852309
    nixonian,
    I don't see any open recalls for your VIN. I would recommend speaking with your dealer. Please feel free to email us.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • doublesharp1doublesharp1 Member Posts: 7
    I have seen the steering column mentioned on several posts located on several sites but they all seem to differ on which part is the culprit. Listed as the problem have been: steering column (no more specific description), lower steering column. lower steering shaft, intermediate shaft, steering position sensor and some even say it is the pinon bolt and nothing else.
    Yesterday the parts guys said to replace the intemediate steering shaft.
    Could you narrow down exactly what was replaced on your vehicle to help out with this.
    This is a LOT broader of a problem than just a few vehicle owners.
    What is the reason that the company chose to play ostrich and put their collective heads in the sand while the customers have to pay for part after part after part trying to hunt down the needed repair?
    I have taken my Vue to numerous garages and dealers and EVERY one has a different opinion on the cause/repair.
    None of them are willing to back up their words by guaranteeing not to charge if it doesn't work.
    I would be more than happy to go and pay for a diagnosis if the would back-up their findings.
    "Unfortunately I don't have access to technical information to help troubleshoot on this."???????
    I have a Saturn Vue and it is (and has been) known for years that the lower steering column is usually the culprit. It is also helpful to loosen the bolt and stretch the joint in the column linkage below the dash and then retighten it. The joint actually has a mark to show alignment.
    The Saturn owners site Saturnfans.com and even TSB is "04-02-35-006 APR 04
  • aide1aide1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I have a 2008 Saturn Vue which was a pre-owned vehicle. While driving it one night the truck starting making a rattling noise and then the check engine light turned on. I read the manual, checked the gas cap and tightened it up. Next day I drove it to work and on my way home from work my truck started rattling again and the check engine light didn't turn off. I called GMC they told me it was under factory warranty. So I dropped it off. Next day repair shop calls me a tells me there is nothing wrong with it but he will need to flush out the fuel system and re program the computer. So I told him okay. But the truck does have a rattling sound and the engine light was on. Once you do what you are planning on doing it can you please drive it and recheck it. Now my question is if there is nothing wrong with it why is the light on and it rattles. Also why the need to flush fuel system and re program the computer.
    I have a 2007 Vue and had a rattle for the longest time, no check engine light. Had it in to the dealer many times and they could never find the rattle because they are basically not too intelligent. Turned out to be a worn tie rod connector. When the vehicle is stopped, you cannot determine the tie rod connection is worn because it doesn't more under pulling and pushing, needs to be on road. Found one mechanic who had his act together.
    My daughter has a 2005 Vue and has engine light problem. Spoke with a mechanic and he asked if it is misfiriing (hesitating before taking off). I said yes and he told me to replace the spark plug wires. It fixed the problem. It seems that the #4 wire is located too close to heat and may get brittle and become faulty. Only for a 4 cylinder engine apparently. Good luck.
    aide1,

Let us know if you would like for us to follow up with your dealership on this. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • roxy72311roxy72311 Member Posts: 1
    Please someone anyone who can offer their two cents I am willing to listen. I bought a 04 VUE ( 10/12) she has some miles but she has been good to me. Although, about 4 months ago I started noticing when I apply the brakes I hear this noise ( kids say its sounds like the car is passing gas ). But to me it sounds more like a dull grinding. It wasn't horrible then, I took it to a mechanic and he said it may be time to get new brakes. So I had new brakes put on ( all the way around ).
    Problem is only 2 months later the same noise came back but this time with more noises. Now there is this scraping sound on the rt passenger side when I accelerate. Also sometimes a clicking noise when I turn right. And lastly when I come to a stop the steering wheel shakes ( not bad but enough ). I plan to have it looked at yet again but wow this can't be the brakes again can it I just had them done. My families safety is important to me but it would be nice to get an idea of what I am up against. Ugh, it it is to much to bear thinking it may be time for a new car. :confuse: thank you in advance.
    edited May 2013
    I really sounds like a wheel bearing rear axle.
  • areid83areid83 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Saturn Vue and about 3 months ago it started sounding like I have a hemi truck. When I am idling at a stop sign or light or if it is in park it makes the noise, but not all the time just sometimes. My mechanic does not know why.....please help
    Hello: GMcustsvcSarah
    You state that "It is (and has been) known for years that the lower steering column is usually the culprit" and you are logged in as a GM customer service representative named Sarah.
    As a GM REP what will you do to help us get this problem repaired? Since it has been Known by GM for so long and not really addressed in a manner demonstrating fond regard to us or proper regard to the defective part.
    Most TSBs are nothing more than a simple (I'll make a note of that). In this case it has been more than just a few incidents and warrants a repair, not simply a shrug of the shoulders and a turning of one's back on the customers.
    On behalf of all of us who have been "Known about" for years, not addressed but Awaiting a solution, I close this message with;

Regards,

Brad Carter
    Doublesharp1
    Hello Brad,

I apologize for the frustration this situation has caused you, and we want to try and assist with this situation as best we can. Technical Service Bulletins provides an extended service coverage if the vehicle listed is experiencing this exact problem. As I'm sure you know, this is VIN specific.

If you would like to send us your VIN, dealer and mileage we can work on doing more research on the issue you are experiencing. We can be reached by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please feel free to spread this information to other forum members.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • everyseasoneveryseason Member Posts: 1
    :sick:

We have (had) a 2007 Saturn Vue. Yesterday on the way to work, a knocking sound started underneath the hood. Before we had time to pull over, the engine seized and blew. It appears that the clutch from the AC unit had come off and caused the engine to over heat that quickly (we just did an oil change on it 2 days ago and there was plenty of oil). I have loved GM products all my life as my grandfather was a GM dealer for over 60 years, however, I will not buy another GM after this. No engine light nor oil light came on until the engine blew. Now we just have a vehicle that I don’t know if I want to fix or not. To see that the Clutch on the Air Compressor has been an issue and has caused this to happen to others is NOT right! If we choose to fix the vehicle it will be a HUGE expense! Something that should not have happened.
  • leigholeigho Member Posts: 3

Need help please! 2004 Saturn Vue with 138,000 miles on it. It has always had a vibration/shake/shudder but not horrible. We sold the car to our daughter a few years ago. She is getting ready to drive it from Texas to Michigan for her move home and called to say that when she hits 50 mph the car shakes terribly now. It keeps shaking up to 70 mph. She's afraid to drive it home. She took it to a repair shop and was told that she needed a $6000 transmission. Does this sound like a transmission issue to anyone? It does need front tires. Could that do it?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

$6000 for a transmission? Well kiss that repair shop goodbye. Tires could definitely be an issue, or a bent wheel, or bad front axle joints. First stop should be the tire shop and see how that goes with a proper wheel balance front and rear.

It is possible that a bad torque converter in the transmission could "shudder" at speeds between 40 and 60 mph (it's trying to get into overdrive) ---it feels like the car is going over those "rumble strips" that they put on the edges of freeway lanes sometimes. BUT this shudder would not be felt in the steering wheel, whereas front tires needing balance would. If the rear tires are out of balance, you feel the vibration "in the seat of your pants"--literally.

In any event, this car is not worth a great deal, so if a transmission shop (I mean one that isn't a rip-off---a GOOD shop) diagnosed a bad torque converter, you'd have to consider whether the car is otherwise in good enough condition to justify such an expense.

Just for reference, try this website and ask them for a quote:

http://www.certifiedtransmission.com/

• geno59geno59 Member Posts: 23

I owned a 2008 Saturn Vue XR. The steering column makes a intermittent rubbing noise. I took to dealership and they finally decided it was the rack and pinion. So at $600 I had it changed, but after 5000 miles I noticed the noise coming back. Now I just finished going to dealership for clunking noise in front of vehicle where caliper pin kits were installed at a cost of $356 , the clunking sound is still present. My front driver seat makes all kinds of squeaking noise like its falling apart. The dealer tried to fix it, but unsuccessful and recommended I get a new frame at a cost of $1700. I only weight 190lbs and never had a seat problem with my other GM vehicles previously purchased. Another noise is the air conditioning controls that makes a constant clicking and popping sound when in the automatic setting. It's like the flapper cannot make up which way to go.

I haven't been on Edmunds for a long time and just tonight happened upon the site again while looking for info on my wife's car. When I logged on I checked out my past posts.
    I never followed up on the post but my Saturn Vue had a steering column problem and has since completely gone out. It left us with NO steering. I do mean NO steering.
    It was not no power steering. It was not hard to steer or any other synonym for difficult. There was NO (as in zero) communication between the steering wheel and anything else. The wheel spins freely, exactly like the front wheel on a bicycle. No lock-stop left or right.
    We weren't killed or injured but there was damage done.
  • ladiyazladiyaz Member Posts: 1

hi I'm new to this andjust bought a 2003 Saturn vue for my son and its making a squeaky chirping noise from the passenger front..its so loud it can be heard a block away.. I took it to pep boys and they said I need struts wheel bearing front breaks computerized whhel alignment wheel hub front rotor front shock and when I said all that for a sqeak and they was like thats what I need and then they want to charge me 2 tthousand dollars are they crazy... so can anyone tell me whats the real problem with my sqeaky noise....plz plz plz

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ask around for an independent mechanic and get a second opinion. After you get some names from your friends, it doesn't hurt to double-check the shops on the net too. (Yelp, RepairPal, etc.).

I haven't been on Edmunds for a long time and just tonight happened upon the site again while looking for info on my wife's car. When I logged on I checked out my past posts.
    I never followed up on the post but my Saturn Vue had a steering column problem and has since completely gone out. It left us with NO steering. I do mean NO steering.
    It was not no power steering. It was not hard to steer or any other synonym for difficult. There was NO (as in zero) communication between the steering wheel and anything else. The wheel spins freely, exactly like the front wheel on a bicycle. No lock-stop left or right.
    We weren't killed or injured but there was damage done.

Hi doublesharp1,

Our deepest apologies for the trouble you've encountered with your steering system. Were you planning to have your Saturn towed into a certified GM dealership for diagnosis? If so, please let us know and we'll gladly follow up with them and assist throughout the repair process. Please private message us your VIN, contact information, mileage and preferred dealership name if we can be of assistance. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • rdalbyrdalby Member Posts: 2
    I am the original owner of a 2004 Saturn Vue Redline with 112K miles and have encountered the following "other than normal" maintenance issues:

1. ECM and ignition relay replaced by GM dealer at 67k miles. Car would not start and service engine soon light came on.
    2. Front hubs (with integral wheel bearings) replaced with Carquest standard (non-premium parts) at 91k miles and replaced again at 111k miles with premium SKF parts. Bad wheel bearings sound like a roaring noise emanating from front tires.
    3. Front struts replaced at 98k miles. Bad struts make creaking noises when pulling in and out of driveways and going over bumps. Note: The replacement struts still make noise during cold weather.
    4. Front stabilizer bar links replaced at 111k miles with premium lubeable links from NAPA. The worn out OEM links made a rattling noise when driving over rough roads.
    5. Rear hatch gas struts replaced at 98k miles. Hatch would not stay up when lifted, especially in cold weather.
    Total cost of these repairs is under $2,000. Not too bad for over 10 years of ownership. We still like the car and intend to keep it for awhile.

• rdalbyrdalby Member Posts: 2
    Oops,left off a couple of items on my previous post. This is a revised list including those items.

I am the original owner of a 2004 Saturn Vue Redline with 112K miles and have encountered the following "other than normal" maintenance issues:

1. ECM and ignition relay replaced by GM dealer at 67k miles. Car would not start and service engine soon light came on.
    2. Front hubs (with integral wheel bearings) replaced with Carquest standard (non-premium parts) at 91k miles and replaced again at 111k miles with premium SKF parts. Bad wheel bearings sound like a roaring noise emanating from front tires.
    3. Front struts replaced at 98k miles. Bad struts make creaking noises when pulling in and out of driveways and going over bumps. Note: The replacement struts still make noise during cold weather.
    4. Front stabilizer bar links replaced at 111k miles with premium lubeable links from NAPA. The worn out OEM links made a rattling noise when driving over rough roads.
    5. Rear hatch gas struts replaced at 98k miles. Hatch would not stay up when lifted, especially in cold weather.
    6. Replaced A/C compressor and front RH axle seal at 106k miles. A/C was not cooling properly and fluid was leaking on driveway.
    Total cost of these repairs is under $3,000. Not too bad for over 10 years of ownership. We still like the car and intend to keep it for awhile.
  • brokegirl04brokegirl04 Member Posts: 1
    Saturn Vue 2004 are a piece of crap. I  cannot afford a $5,000 transmission repair bill.  I shouldn't have to. Anything you did didn't do this.
    It has nothing to do with normal maintenance wear and tear. There is a structural defect. It is a faulty Year from 2002 to some all the way to 2007 but especially the 2002 to the 2005 transmission problems and engine problems. they're telling people to pay half of what a transmission repair cost when they finally have no options they know that this model this Honda engine was messed up as a faulty engine faulty transmission defective and anybody who bought one should get it replaced or repaired for free. t I've had a 2004 Saturn  for 4 months, was 61 thousand miles on it it now has 70,000 miles on it and it's been in the shop to three times always to the dealer. They won't even tell you when they absolutely know that this is a structural defect they want you to pay for it and say that you did something or that you didn't maintain it correctly. There are too many people all over the Internet with the exact same problems. They're still selling them and they're still allowing them to be sold. you drive it for a while and it starts shaking and bobbing and weaving and making funny noises. This is not a coincidence!!!
     GM people who are on here stop lying. Don't you realize people are spending thousands of dollars that they can't afford because you won't tell them the real reason and what's really going on.
    The  warranty is expired, too many miles, time limit over, they had a class action lawsuit filed against them but now they figure if that's over with so they can keep selling these cars.
    They are defective and dangerous they need to stop used car dealers from selling them because people are just fixing these things up or doing whatever they can or just there just sitting in somebody's driveway until somebody drives them off. they drive okay for a little bit and then the next thing you know you got a two three four $5,000 bill.

I'm disabled. I bought this car to get back and forth to the doctor. I have no money zero money to fix this problem. I have money for regular routine maintenance. It's not for major repairs after four months this is horrendous!

Please help!!!!!