Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Noise, Rattles and Vibration

Comments

• djettdjett Member Posts: 1
    Here's my issue. I have an 03 Vue 2.2 liter 2wd 155k miles that I purchased used in March of 09. A few weeks ago (Nov 09) my "Change Oil Soon" light came on. I knew it was close to changing it but didn't. I didn't read my owners manual when the light came on. Yesterday (Dec 10/09) I stalled out on the freeway and my oil indicator warning light came on. This is the 1st time I ever saw it. I restarted and carefully drove to a gas station. Car was knocking like crazy. I checked the oil level and it was bone dry. I bought 3 Quarts of oil and added to the car, let it sit a while and check oil level again. The dipstick showed that i was ABOVE full. I thought that was strange. The car holds 5 quarts and it went from empty to overfull with 3 quarts of oil. I drove home sounding like a 75 Mercedes diesel and parked it overnight. Spoke to my father-in-law who used to work service for Mercedes and he advised me to put a heavy weight oil in and bring it to his house for further inspection. After the car sat all night I went out in the morning to add extra oil but it was still over full.
    I drove to in-laws house and we drained 2 quarts, added a quart of ATF and 1/2 pint of Seafoam engine/oil cleaner. Ran the car, let it sit, and ran it again. Drained everything. Added 20w/50 (5 quarts) and new filter. Let it idle for 10 min and tick/knock was still there. Then it went quiet. Then knock came back. Did that a few more times and In-law said it seems like the lifters were cleaning up some and to drive it for a few days. I took it home and it did seem to quiet down some but still has a tick.
    Was wondering if this was/is an accurate treatment for sticky lifters or based on my earlier description of what happened could this be the problem? Is my engine shot or could it be another problem entirely? I know these cars have belt issues but would that make it sound like an old diesel? Like I said, It does seem to be quieting down some but it could just be my optimistic ears wanting to hear it be quiet.
    Any advice/comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated
    djett
  • 442dude442dude Member Posts: 373
    That's quite a story! The 2002 - 2003 4 cylinder Vues had their share of timing chain issues, there was a problem with the chain oil nozzle. You may want to have the chain checked before it breaks and destroys your engine. A timing chain that is getting ready to break will make your car sound like a diesel.

Don't mess around with timing chain issues - get a competent mechanic to check it out...
  • jac72jac72 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Vue, V6, The starter makes a noise after releasing the key, like the bendix is hanging up, Whirling noise that lasts for 2-3 seconds then winds down. The original starter made the noise, replacement starter made same noise but not as often, 3'rd starter same noise, and 4th starter from different manufacturer same noise. Always does it when cold, and randomly at other times. Took it to Saturn dealer, they checked the flywheel, it's ok, and told me it was the starter. I told them it has had 4 starters and they all do the same thing and their response was sorry, it's the starter.Any ideas out there? I am pulling my hair out.
  • srtuzzysrtuzzy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XE AWD, just had the front right strut replaced by Saturn however I still have the same rattle when driving on uneven roads and rough roads. I will be taking the Vue back in but would like some suggestions what to look at.
  • waschawascha Member Posts: 5
    I have an XR with the same rattle but out of warranty. I am advised the rt frt strut is faulty inside. Cost to replace both almost $700.00 with no after market. However, you still have the rattle. I will be interested in what Saturn does next. I am reluctant to have it repaired with the knowledge that you still have a rattle. Does Mcpherson itself warrant them ?
    The Vue is still under warrenty and they just order a strut mount and a strut bearing. Hope this resolves the rattle. This is occurring on the same side as yours and they already replaced my rt frt strut but still did not correct the problem.. A relative suggested to let Saturn know to look at the mount and bearing because that happened to him as well. It seems like a common problem. Haven't done a search yet on hidden recalls on the Saturn Vue. Hope this information helps.
  • dmzemprdmzempr Member Posts: 2
    Had the exact same thing on my '09 fixed. The dealer darn near replaced the whole right front. I still have the problem though. They replace the strut, the bearings, and abar of some sort but I hear the rattle. The car has 31k miles on it so its under warranty. My work was done just about a month ago. I really hope this gets resolved cause the car would be really nice to ride in if it does.
  • sweepspearsweepspear Member Posts: 2
    So, the '08 VUE my wife drives that has 46,000 on it has started clunking, and has a grinding/crunching noise that is clearly coming from the strut mounts. Driver's side a little louder than the passenger side.
    It was a brutal winter here in the Twin Cities for rutted and pot holed streets. :cry:

No biggie, I'll just order up a pair of mounts, sway bar links, along with a new pair of struts since I'll be in there working anyway, and put them in on some Saturday in the next month or so.

Seems the struts and mounts aren't available in the aftermarket yet.
    Sway bar links I can get through Rock Auto for about $33.00 each.

I hate the thought of buying these parts from a GM dealer at an inflated price. Not to mention the waiting for them to come in.

Guess she will have to turn up the radio in the meantime.

Dang it!
  • sweepspearsweepspear Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I've done some more research, and the struts for the Chevy Equinox, and Pontiac Torrent are available. To the best of my knowledge both are built on the same platform as the VUE.
    ACDelco part #'s 506-690 & 506-691.
    $195.00 each. Ouch.

Still searching for the strut mounts.
  • dmzemprdmzempr Member Posts: 2
    I hope you have better luck than I do. The car is going in this Monday for a replacement battery mount and yes, to work on the clunking noise. Wish they would pull another tech to take a look and help fix it. I feel bad for the one guy since he's tried to fix it the other two times.

Dave
  • amchammondamchammond Member Posts: 1
    There may be a machining problem on the block, but it sounds like the starter gear is hanging up in the torque plate. I would have the torque plate checked also. Back in the day, starters would have to be shimmed to get the right fit with the torque plate (or flywheel for manuals). Shimming would be the only option left if the torque plate is OK.

Chris
    They finally got it fixed. It a Bearing Mount that they replaced. The front is perfect now but I am starting to hear the same sound from the rear. Not as bad but still I notice it. If it gets worst I will bring in all my paper work and have them look at the same thing.
    Hi Chris, Thanks for the idea, makes sense, I'll check it out.
    Jim
  • kesonhokesonho Member Posts: 1
    I put up with a clunking noise coming from the right front strut area of my '08 Vue XR for a long time because nobody knew what to blame it on. I had it in one shop for a full day with 3 techs working on it and they couldn't pin it down. They assured me it was safe to drive though. Knowing this, I got under there myself for the 3rd time and looked for the really strange stuff. I noticed that the top end of the dust cover bellows of the strut had come loose from the top cap that is supposed to hold it up and keep the dust out of the strut rod. The action of the strut over bumps was pounding the inside top of the bellows making the noise. I cleaned the mating surfaces really well on the rubber of the boot and the inside of the cup. Then I smeared some industrial strength super glue with gap filler onto the perimeter of the boot top. After pressing it up into the cup and holding it there for about a minute, I let it rest for 1/2 hour. Put the wheel back on and went for a test drive. Guess what...no more noise.
    My guy at the shop where they spent a day on it tells me that Monroe is coming out with an after market strut for the Vue in the Fall of 2010. If the noise returns, I will go that direction. Monroe makes a good product at a good price. Better than OEM.
  • peppiepeppie Member Posts: 1
    Thank you, I happen to be suffering with the same problem with mine and i shall mention this to the repair shop see what they can do :)
  • tassatootassatoo Member Posts: 1
    Bought a used 2004 Vue, LOVE it except on deceleration it now makes a rattling/rumbling noise. Dont feel any vibration, and it drives fine when accelerating. Local Dealer says it is a central support bearing that needs to be replaced, and the noise is from it vibrating. Like I said, dont FEEL any vibration, so hoping this is a minor fix that does the job. Anyone else have this issue?
  • azhunterazhunter Member Posts: 6
    I have an 07 I took it off road and the next day I noticed just as it idled it had a vibration then when I shut it off it makes a loud shake noise sounds like coming from the front right. when I put pressure on the intake it calms it down while running so possibly thinking it is a motor mount but they look find to me. It drives me nuts though

We could use the help
  • 07vueowner07vueowner Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading all the problems with the 07 Vue, and I have loved mine up until this week. I have the "rumble strip" problem when braking, and just this week started hearing the "high pitched" noise coming from the front of the car. I'm sure it's the struts, and all. It has 55,000 miles on it, and I sure do hate that it is now falling apart. Anyone have any GOOD suggestions on what to do. I have a 1,500 mile trip coming up next month, and now am scared to take it because of these issues. Anyone?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello 07vuewowner,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed by anyone? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    "Rumble strip" braking is indicative that your front rotors are warped...the high pitched noise is very likely the wear indicators on your front brake pads telling you that they need to be replaced...

Your Vue isn't falling apart, it needs routine servicing... :shades:
  • issuefrom_ilissuefrom_il Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Saturn Vue (V6/FWD) with 103,000 miles. A few weeks ago, I had my tires rotated. A few days later I went on the expressway and after 50 mph I had a terrible vibration that got worse as the speed went higher. Eventually, I went back to the vendor where I had the tires rotated and had them recheck the balance. Went out and the samething happened after 50 mph but seemed a little better. So they did a rotate on the right side (no change), rotated on the left side (no change). I had about 46,000 on my BF Goodrich T/A tires rated for 50,000 miles. So I ended up getting a new set of Goodrich T/A tires and there was no change. At the higher speed, I put the car in neutral and the vibration continued possibly ruling out a drive train issue. The tire vendor pretty much threw up their hands and said they had done everything in their power. I then went to a local Chevy dealer and they felt the vibration. A visual check couldn't find anything. They put it on an EVA (Electronic Vibration Analyzer). They theorized it was a leaking front right axle. I had the axle replaced and an wheel alignment and there has been no change. I went to another local mechanic and he rebalanced the tires, checked the wheels, the brake rotors and rear brake drums. Still have a vibration. They felt it was a tire issue after all of that. I went back to the vendor and they replaced the right front tire and checked the balance of the left tire. No change.
    Did anyone check the condition of the front struts? By 103K miles you should have already replaced them once...
    Found it was the passenger motor mount. It wore down to the metal basically melted easy fix 86 bucks for the part.
  • issuefrom_ilissuefrom_il Member Posts: 2
    The last shop checked the front suspension, wheel bearings, etc and told me everything was OK. Thanks
  • cannedheat51cannedheat51 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same high pitched noise when i apply the brakes fairly hard -- i have taken it to 2 different shops and they both say the brakes are ok-- could it be anything else -- 2006 vue
    I had the rotors turned about 3 months ago due to a really bad shake when I applied the breaks. Now 3 months later they are starting to shake again. How could that be so soon. I have had my breaks inspected and they say they are fine and they can not give me an explanation for the rotors. I know that some hard breaking can cause them to warp and if they are really hot and hit water that can cause it but I have babied them since I had them resurfaced.
    Any ideas? :mad:
    If it makes any difference the VUE is 07 V6 Front Wheel Drive
    I originally posted about the "rumble strip" feeling on my 07 Saturn Vue, and as I read all the great feedback and studying what others were going through, I diagnosed that my problem was the bearings, and I finally broke down, and took it to the shop, and low and behold it was the drivers side front bearings, and had it replaced. It cost about $470 to get it done, but it was worth it. I no longer have the high pitched noise at 30 - 50 mph, and it doesn't rumble anymore. Thank goodness. It was a tough pill to swallow, but hopefully I won't have anymore trouble with it. I am back in love with my Vue. I have a 2 year warranty on the job, and I hope I never hear that sound again. If I do, I know it will be the right side, and can get it fixed. My local Firestone was really good about getting the job done, and fixing the problem.
  • shukhmanshukhman Member Posts: 4
    i get this engine vibration on my 2002 l 4 when idling,especially when put a/c on.
    the vibration is not constant,lasts for 5-7 seconds,some days i don't have it at all.
    anybody know the problem?
    Nice work. Ill have to check mine. My rotor on that side keeps wearing even though I resurface and change pads. I get the same noise and some times I hear the grinding. Great feedback.
    Thanks
  • ff1usff1us Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn VUE 4 cylinder. At about 30 some thousand miles it starting having a loud rattling noise only for a few seconds after starting the vehicle. Happens mostly when the car is cold but sometimes does it even when the car is warm. Any ideas or anyone else had problems like this.
  • chevwizardchevwizard Member Posts: 1
    This is a defect with the starter, the noise is actually due to a lubrication problem at the nose cone of the starter. We have a repair shop and this has become our worse nightmare. Every re-manufactured starter we put on makes the same noise, eventually. We have one coming in next week and we are going to try using a synthetic grease on the nose cone and see how long it lasts. A new starter from Saturn costs about $700.00 at our local dealership
    I eventually gave up, and it is still making the noise. Always when the engine is cold,and sometimes after it has been run for a while. Your right, all 3 remans did the same thing. I will definitely try the grease on the cone. Thanks a lot
  • bjp011bjp011 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone oout there have a 2007 Saturn Vue AWD that sounds like a rattle trap. It has to be the noisiest vehicle I have ever driven. I have taken it to my dealer/retailer and was told that "all of the AWD V6s are like that." It runs great, handles well and drives nicely but it is so freakin noisey. It sounds like the whole suspension is going to fall apart. I have had it checked out and was told everything is tight and nothing is wrong. Help! I may have to get rid of it.
    Yours sound like the same issue I had this past summer. I don't have the AWD, but I had the same noise/shaking going on. It's an indicator that your wheel bearing are going out maybe. Mine was shaking bad on stopping, and then the noise, and found out from this forum and others that it was probably my wheel bearings (turned out to be drivers side front). I had it checked out, and that's what it was. Had them replaced at a cost of about $400, and haven't had any trouble since. No noise now. I am back in love with my '07 VUE, but hated it for a while. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for replying but I don't think it is a wheel bearing. Vehicle does not have the slightest vibration, doesn't pull left or right when braking, stops without issue. It just seems the entire undercarriage is loose. Maybe it is the plastic body panels. It is just plain noisey. I did have any issue with the right rear bearing but had it replaired but it was just a dull grinding noise, not a rattling noise. Anybody have any other suggestions. Thanks again.
  • twilliam1twilliam1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same noise coming from my passenger front... sounds like a whining dog at times. I've taken it to 3 different shops, and three times they can't figure out what's going on... The high pitch was not from my brakes, I just paid for/insisted on new brakes and the sound is still there - just as strong as ever. Anyone seen the Saturn Bulletin #05-05-23-005A? It is a bit older, but said it was going to be including newer models... I just found this bulletin today - and found this site too, looking for some explanation. I printed it out so I can take it to the shop and see if the problem could be the caliper pin bushings. Will let you know...
  • glock31glock31 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like wheel bearing for sure. I believe you have to replace the whole hub unit. I have searched online for the hub and cheapest I found is about $86.00-$120.00 just google the part and year of vehicle and you should be able to find it. If you start to hear a rattling from the front passenger, have your motor mount inspected. Its real easy to access. I have an 07 FRNT WHL Drive and its located under the air filter box, you have to remove the back bolt and the bolt near hose that leads from the filter box to the throttle body. Move the filter components out of the way and you will see the motor mount. There is two bolts on each side and a bolt in the middle. Make sure to loosen the center bolt first from the mount. Then remove the two bolts from the frame and engine. No need to support the engine from underneath. You can if you want use a rubber mat like an old mud flap, fold it and use a floor jack against the transmission and axle area.
    I would start with resurfacing your rotors if you haven't already, that is always a cheap and easy fix to noise and rattling
  • twilliam1twilliam1 Member Posts: 2
    3 mechanics said that it's not the bearings either... if it were the noise wouldn't be intermittent, it would be all the time and much louder. I'm thinking the bushing makes sense - it sounds like plastic, it's connected to braking (most often after I brake a few times getting them nice and warm). I was thinking someone might have had had the bushings replaced and found that it worked... I'll keep watching for a few more days before I take it back in. Thanks for the response!
  • banner3banner3 Member Posts: 1
    iv been a mech for 15years ad iv seen and heard of this and iv fixed it aswell .its your brake calipers and brake pads and the best thing to do is buy oem dealer parts brakes pads and rotors
    Wow! I think you hit the nail right on the head. Now that I think about it, it does sound like brake/rotor chatter. Thank you very much. I will change pads and rotors this week and let you know the results. Again thank you.
  • lovuelovue Member Posts: 7
    Most car make that very same noise.
  • vagnozvagnoz Member Posts: 1
    Did you replace the strut assembly? Took care of my noise in the front end.
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    I had posted a note in the maintenance and repair section of the Vue blog that we were experiencing some kind of noise coming from underneath the '05 Vue AWD we just bought earlier this month. It is a well kept vehicle that just turned 49K yesterday. I've been hearing this noise almost from the first day we got it and it definitely is NOT a wheel bearing or brake issue. The noise seems to happen when we are coasting or decelerating to a stop, and makes a sound that I just cannot describe. I said to my wife it sounded like a pigeon cooing!(No, I looked underneath and there's NO pigeon!) I took it to a well respected repair shop yesterday and the head mechanic went for a drive with me and although I heard this noise, not all the time, but intermittently, he had a hard time hearing it. Then, when he took the wheel and headed back to the shop, he THOUGHT he heard the same thing I was talking about. But after looking high and low, checking motor mounts, suspension parts, brakes and bearings, UV and center bearing parts, he couldn't find anything! When I went to pick it up, one of the co-owners said that there is a double walled pipe coming down from the manifold into the flex pipe and it's possible that something in there is loose causing this sound from time to time, but NOT ALL the time. He told me to wait until it gets louder or just turn up the radio!! I sort of figured they weren't going to find anything as I had been under there 3 times in the last 4 weeks and I didn't see anything either. So that's what were going to do for now, just live with it. But it is a very nice small SUV that has plenty of power and handles quite well and gets fairly decent gas mileage. Have a great day, folks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    shopdog97,
    I would recommend taking it to a GM dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • djmykeldjmykel Member Posts: 3
    I have 2003 Vue V6 (not AWD) and I have had the same Vibration since I got it... it had 20" rims on it and everyone told me that the tires were to big.. so I put 17" tires & rims on it and no better.. then I was told to inner tie rods were the problem, so i replaced them.. then the said the rear trans mount was bad, so i replaced it.. I still have the rumble bump feeling at 60 to 70 mph.. I have had the tired re-balanced and still the problem is there.. I am soooo stressed over this, it is killing me.. what can the problem be??? every machanic is telling me different things and that would be ok, if it was fixing it.. NO noise from anywhere, just a bad vibration/rumbling from the front end that I can feel in the gas peddle and the steering wheel.. PLEASE HELP...
    Here's a suggestion: Intermediate steering shaft - some have so much play in them that they will cause a vibration that you can feel at 60-70 mph. replace it and I bet you will get rid of your problem. You've already replaced all of the obvious things it sounds like.

Good luck
  • djmykeldjmykel Member Posts: 3
    DO YOU KNOW OF SOMEWHERE ONLINE THAT MIGHT HAVE A PICTURE OR CUT SHEET SO THAT I CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT I AM LOOKING AT???
    Hi,

Yes - go here: http://www.gmpartsclub.com/saturn-parts/saturn-vue-parts.html

Scroll down and click on "steering column" then click on "steering column assembly"then "lower shaft" and the "view illustration". Its part # 5 in the photo.
  • saturn20saturn20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Vue Redline, it shakes on the highway and it's weird because some days are better than others, seems like when the weather dries out it's good but if there is moisture in the air it shakes pretty bad. I have done all the brakes, rotors and checked the bearings to the best of my knowledge and didn't notice any play in the wheel, and there are sounds of anything worn out. Any suggestions?