Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    Hi-

I'm looking at an RV that weighs 4,000 lbs. empty and understand my 97 SE to be able to pull 5,500 lbs, and was wondering how she's going to do on hilly terrain or if an RV close to her tow limit like that is going to stress the trans. I'd appreciate any advice from anybody.

I also wanted to report my first Freelander sighting, and the steering wheel was on the right side, not the left. It had MI plates on it even. I didn't think they were on the road yet?!?!

Thanks for any help offered.
    Kim
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    There are a number of RHD Freelanders that Ford has brought in to evaluate in the Michigan area. There are also a very few that have been brought in Grey market that individuals have somehow gotten certified for the US.
  • s4colorados4colorado Member Posts: 4
    Hey Folks, I ordered an SE-7 and it's going to be in in a week. I originally test drove one in MO when my 2001 Jeep XJ transmission took its 3rd (and FINAL) dive and I gave up and left it behind to lemon-law it. I rented a 2001 LR SD in MO and was so impressed I ordered one from home (Colorado Springs). The one I test drove here was noticeably slower because of the altitude (6,000) and I was wondering if there are any mods like chips, exhaust and K&N bolt-ons that might help it a bit. Also, anyone have any tips/tricks for the first-time LR owner?!

Thanks!!!
    Jeff
    P.S> What is this "x-plan"? I was quoted $43,013.50 + taxes/tags for the car w/ cold climate, ACE, rear A/C, and lightstone. Also, front brush bar and Hella 5000's. Is this a good price or no?
  • hatton3hatton3 Member Posts: 13
    The manual transmission fitted to Discoveries since about 1995 is a 5 speed unit called R380. In the early days this tramsmission got a poor reputation because the end of the main shaft did not receive enough oil and failure was quite common. Even after modification problems were quite common on 75,000 plus mileage vehicles. After 1997 the R380 appears to be far more robust and the Disco Series 2 version had a number of minor tweaks to iron out some residual problems.
    Is a vehicle purchase plan for suppliers and partner organizations of Ford. It is a very good way to purchase Ford Products including Land Rovers. One organization that provides X-plan pricing to it's members is EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). There are quite a few companies that do business with Ford that offer X-plan to their Employees, you may want to check with yours.
    All Discoverey Series II in the U.S. are automatics.
  • donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    I bought my first 2000 Disco II last year. You will love the truck. I would check the Edmunds cite for Disco II SE-7 models to see if the price you got was accurate under their TMV price. SE's TMV is about $35,000. So, your 6000 in options (third row seats and ACE) would put it about $41,000. At any rate, you'll love it. I have what would now be labeled an SE. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the ACE system. But, it handles just fine.
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    To give you an idea, I just bought a Disco II SE ACE, black, with ext. roof rails and rubber mats for $38,852. The brush guard would have been an extra $553, and I'm not sure the price of the Hella lamps.

X-plan gets you 4% MSRP over invoice, plus 15% off on any accessories you buy. Great way to save.
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I'm an avid cyclist - basically, I live my life around cycling. So, I need a rack system for my Disco II that is convenient to use and will look nice as well. As I am only 5'9, I am considering a Thule Swing Away hitch rack, but I think these types of racks are ughy. Anyone have any thoughts on going with a hitch rack verses roof top mounts?
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Since I bought my Disco I've put 13,000+ miles on my mtn bike. I use a swing-away rear hitch mount or if it's just a couple of us going, and it's not too nasty out, I pop off the seat and front wheel and the bikes fit nicely (and securely) inside the back. It's easy to get 2 mtn bikes, helmets, water bottles, day packs, shoes, etc. etc. etc. in there. My road bike frame is longer, I'm not sure if it will fit inside. FWIW I'm 6'5" and ride an XL mtn bike frame, when the jump seats are folded up the inside fit is no problem.

Regards, -Bob
  • c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking into purchasing my first Rover, but
    I really want is a Disco II TD5. Does anyone know if Land Rover ever plans on selling these models
    here in the US. Also does anyone know anybody who has imported a TD5 from UK?
    I can't say never, but Land Rover has no plans to import diesel engined vehicles in the forseeable future.
  • ffitzffitz Member Posts: 13
    Hello all! I have been lurking here for about 2 years. I was going to get a 99 DII in 99, but medical problems precluded my being able to purchase. Everything has worked out, and I am looking at a purchase (Blenheim Silver???)within the next 60 days. I have read of all the nuances with the DII, but have found no better vehicle to invest in. It is a solid vehicle (literally)..like driving a tank. I really do want to learn the full capabilities of this vehicle, as I am not an off-roader (yet). I am in Anchorage, Alaska. The dealership here is great and have answered 2years worth of questions for me. I am eagerly anticipating joining the Discovery family. I would like to thank everyone for their input (pos/neg)as all have been most helpful in my decision. This is a great board, and I hope that in the near future I will be able to contribute. Again, Thanks!
    Congratulations.
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    Is there a switch or some sort of mechanism in the 2001 Discovery to disengage the passenger side airbag to allow a child to sit up front?

I ask because this will affect whether I go with the SE or SE7. I will occasionally have four kids (ages 7 & 5) in the car. Don't relish the idea of putting them in the jump seats since they still need booster seats.
    Yep you're in good hands with the boys at L-R Anchorage. I've taken my silver DI to Kent for warranty work from day one. Wallace gets a little cranky but he's a great guy, and very patient; he went The Extra Mile for me many many times. Yikes, this means there'll be THREE silver Discos in town?! What's the world coming to?!!!! Ah wait, only two silver DIs. Whew!

If you really want to do some major offroading go see the guys at Northern 4X4, they know ALL the trails.

Una inuq aaniqtuq, -Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "major offroading" -- you must be talking about the intersection at 15th and Cordova :-).

Please keep us posted on the impending arrival, ffitz.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

There is no switch available to disable the passenger airbag.
    Boy ain't that the truth when the roads are polished ice in February! You're likely to go offroading backwards into that poor guy's yard. I wonder how many times he's replaced that fence?

The guys at Northern 4X4 convoy up around Hatcher Pass and further, they've found some GNARLY rocky spots. You should see the "trophies" on the front counter... broken axles, hubs, U-joints... parts twisted in half... it hurts just to look at the wreckage.

FWIW, they're getting interested in Pinzgauer and Series Rovers too... there's a great photo in there and they just ordered some elliptical springs for a guy's Series here in town. But for the most part they're hardcore Jeepers.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Just wondering if this is normal or not. Everytime the earphones for the jump seats are used, it lessens the quality of the sound coming out of the speakers. It sounds like the bass goes away a little bit and the volume goes lower. As soon as the earphones are taken out, the sound quality goes back to normal. The sound is fuller, richer with the deep bass and treble. Too bad cause it's a great feature of the system that allows us to listen to the radio while my daughter listens to the CD. Now, I've asked my daughter not to use the earphones at all. If this is normal, is there something that can be done to eliminate the problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually I was in town visiting last week and walked through that intersection heading over to pick up the '84 Volvo w/ 55k original miles on it that we borrowed to tool around in.

Typical weather up there; winter is over and now it's time for the other season (construction ). If the pavement get any worse around town, Paisan's roads may have some serious competition.

Looked like the LR dealer had more used stock on the lot than usual too.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

You're the guy who was walking across the intersection? I came down Cordova street on my mtn bike, accelerating all the way from 9th avenue, and LAUNCHED off the sidewalk over that precipice... my tires narrowly missing some poor soul's ears. All he saw/heard was a crazed man on a red mtn bike going YAAAHHHOOOOOOooooooo..... as he (I) flew over and down.

Not really... I didn't get THAT far off the ground. But I have given a few people cause for concern on that hill.

Yep, the roads are a mite rough. When you see people hitting low range to cross an intersection then you've got to think about upping the maintenance budget.

Too bad you're not here today, it's gorgeous!

(hit refresh for updates)

• s4colorados4colorado Member Posts: 4
    ...and I ain't talkin' Doritos... Ok, this is getting critical. The top speed of my new '01 LR Disco westbound up the pass on I-70 toward Vail is 54 mph (in some spots) because of our altitude (11,237) and the inability to gain momentum because of valleys/hills/traffic. Hell, I was about to start throwing everything but the kids and the toupee` out the windows to lighten the drag.. Speed limit is 75 - my dying '88 Acura that I've had since 10th grade will still clear the summit at 95 in 4th... Please, if anyone has heard of altitude-compensation devices/chips WHATEVER it would be greatly appreciated, other than a 24"-tall Paxton R-635 supercharger sticking through the hood.. Dealer jokingly says other than a dual 3" exhaust with glasspacks and chromy tips (I don't think so) that I'm stuck with stock. I guess if I go that route the next thing will be a slammed suspension with a ground clearance of 2 inches, tires with an outside diameter of 6 inches (and width of 16 inches) and enough bass to make the leather fibrillate....

Jeff in the trailer under the bridge in Vail, CO.
  • smokymansmokyman Member Posts: 12
    I live in the smoky mountains and just got my first used discovery. The repair log of the prev owner shows lots of brake pads and a few rotors. she must have lived close to me.
    My ? is would locking the diff help provide more resistance when downshifting for long hills? 2nd doesn't always slow me quite enough to keep from riding the brakes for 5 miles
    Also is it best to brake before exceeding 3500RPM r can you safely go higher?
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Burosky: The phenomenon you are inquiring about regarding the decreased bass response of the music when the headphones are plugged is actually the way it is designed. The owner's manual explains that the subwoofer disengages when the headphones are plugged in so the punch is gone. I guess this is so it doesn't interfere with the rear seat passengers who have the headphones on. Yet another unique feature we must contend with.
    I wouldn't engage diff lock on tarmac. You will scrub the tyres and could wind up the transmission. I suggest you engage low range gears and try a high gear - this will be lower than second high but higher than first high. Havinmg said that brake pads are a lot cheaper to replace than transmissions so dont be shy using the brakes to slow down where required.
    First word of warning, these trucks EAT brake pads, so keep a close eye on them! I replaced my first front pair at 22k miles and I don't drive hills like those.

I would definitely keep it below 4k rpm, I know the engine will begin to cut out from intrusion by the ECU when the RPMs get too high... but that's when under power. How will it prevent you from overreving on downhills? It can't. This is an engine you do NOT want to burn up!

Locking the diff will have zero effect in slowing you down. It's a method to lock the front and back axles together offroad to prevent getting stuck by being cross-axled. Don't lock it onroad, even driving straight ahead; you can break expensive parts. Straight ahead: your front tires are inflated less than the rears, right? That gives lower ride height, smaller rolling diameter, faster rate of turn than the rears.

One last warning: don't assume she'll ALWAYS downshift to slow you when you've got the RPMs way up. In the test procedures for after a trans rebuild one test is to select "2" at some ridiculous high speed, and the satisfactory result is to have her NOT engage 2nd (to protect from overrev). This is a smart transmission, she has some surprises.

Best luck, -Bob
  • kemmonskemmons Member Posts: 29
    To anyone that might be able to help-

We are looking into buying an RV and was wondering if anyone has experience towing and has a recommended weight limit. I know the limit stated in the manual, I'm looking for the voice of experience here. What is too much? Is 4,000 lbs. going to be a problem in hilly terrain?

I appreciate the help.

Kim
  • smokymansmokyman Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the responses
    SSSOOOOO...
    Can I damage the tranny by riding down a long hill in a low gear if I don't over rev? Is this related to "spooling up" or "winding up" the transmition?
    Just riding the brakes isn't an option unless I want to replace rotors every week. They do heat up and warp from my wife's experience in 3 other vehicles.
    Also, any recomendations on repair manuals? (Chilton's the best?) I used to do a lot of work VW busses with a book titled " How to take your Volkswagen apart and put it together again for the complete Idiot".
    I'd say if you take reasonable care of the trans (change the fluid every year and have the trans serviced NOW if it's never been done yet) you should never have any trouble with it, period. It's one tough transmission. I do the same with my swivels and diffs and the rest of the fluids too: oil's a lot cheaper than metal.

As for manuals, I looked a long time and found the only manuals available for my '96 are the factory service manuals. They're spendy but well written. They can easily pay for themselves on your first service.

Good on you, that you'll be doing your own work. Get to know your truck and you'll have few nasty surprises. You might start watching garage sales for BIG combination wrenches. Make sure they're not worn/spread, and watch for a good 1/2" drive socket wrench... you'll use that on your transfer case and diffs.

Regards, -Bob
    If anyone is interested in workshop manuals or cheap spares or cheap accessories or simply reading lots of Land Rover stories - you should check out the Land Rover magazines and web sites. There are 4 UK published Land Rover magazines (all of which are available mail order in the US. These are Land Rover Owner International, Land Rover Mart, Land Rover World and Land Rover Entusiast. They all contain hundreds of adverts on books and parts, lots of hints and tips and repair advice. They do not to deal as much with the very latest models as with the older models but are still well worth a look. Most have websites which allow subscriptions to be made and a search using GOOGLE will track them down.
  • sanslinksanslink Member Posts: 11
    We checked with our local dealer who wasn't willing to negotiate on price, so we decided to do a little shopping in some other states. We found we could save several thousand dollars if we bought from a dealer in another state, but in checking with some of the dealerships, several told us that it's worth it to buy from a local dealer to establish the relationship. We are planning to move to another state in 6-8 months, so the relationship isn't that important to us when compared to how much money we can save (especially since the local dealership wasn't willing to negotiate on price anyway). I'm wondering if other people have experienced different treatment from the dealerships if you did not buy the car there, but are still under warranty. I know some dealerships offer small perks like free gas, car wash, etc. with each service, which I don't really care about. I hope that as much money as these vehicles cost to maintain with the dealer, LR gives each customer equal treatment, regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.
    Have a credo that they have to follow called "The Land Rover Way". This is a code of conduct in their sales and service practices they agreed to abide by when they received their Franchise. Fairness and respect are at the very core of this. When you buy a Land Rover, you are not one of 300,000 people who bought the same vehicle, you become a valued fellow enthusiast.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    When I had mine a while back, I took it to a more convenient LR Centre for service and the service I received was the same as the dealership I purchased my Disco, it was excellent. I'm not sure of centres that also sell other brands, but I would think that they would all be the same, treat each individual vehicle the same way.
  • sanslinksanslink Member Posts: 11
    It's nice to see that my first impression of LR holds true. I've generally found LR dealerships to be different from the others which just "sell cars," which is one of the reasons we decided to buy one in the first place. Thanks for your helpful information.
  • erikjerikj Member Posts: 14
    Just took my '99 -II in for the 30K service. It's a little late with 34K miles. Other than the usual stuff ($399 less a lifetime $50 service credit by the dealer), they found a small oil leak from the head. It looks like a pretty big job although it's totally under warranty.

Also, they are doing a front alignment check because my (front) tires were worn completely on the inside edges (too severely to blame on normal use, IMHO). They gave me a deal mounting/balancing new rubber, which I had sent over from the local Discount Tire store. BOW, I had trouble getting good tire advice for the 255/55/R18 and ACE. By the book, AR says get Good year Wranglers, which I can't get anywhere in town (at least not the REIN, -rated model). I went with the Scorpion C/C from Pirelli.

Finally, they are replacing the ACE control unit. I once saw a yellow ACE warning, and the fault codes apparently justified replacing the unit. The longevity of the ACE system (mainly the pump and the lines) is the only thing on the truck that continues to worry me.

We've seen a lot of warranty work (new cranny, new ACE unit, new drivers seat, broken ECU pin, various minor recalls), but we love the truck and the service at the dealership.

I remember discussions on this board from 2 years ago when we got the D-II. It was either Wasko or Nanuq who said (I'm paraphrasing) that LR trucks almost always have a problem or two. Just find a dealer who takes care of you (and it looks like most do) and use the hell out of the warranty. Once the kinks are out, the truck will run for life. Oh, and I'm sure Nanuq would want me to remind everyone to change their fluids often :).
  • erikjerikj Member Posts: 14
    Sorry about the typos above. "AR" should read "LR" and of course "BOW" should be "BTW".
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Does anyone know of any changes done to the 2002 disco.
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    I am also curious about what changes will be made to the '02 Disco and when they are due out although I probably won't wait that long.

Having read this board for the last couple months I've seen lots of good info. Thanks. I do have a couple questions.

I put 20k+ miles a year my car more highway than city. Is there any additional concerns I should have with the DII over other SUVS. Also I am, for obvious reasons, interested in the extended warranty. I read that the warranty carrier was changing. Is this all worked out yet and what are the new terms.

Is there any way for me to determine the build date from the VIN#. (I saw that if I post it someone will look it up.) I understand that Monday builds are not the best as are Fridays. Overall how big a difference does it make and is it worth pursuing a tues-thurs car with the dealer.

Being a British car, who supplies the electrical system and is it at all reliable. My wife drove a Triumph years ago and the Lucas systems drove her nuts.

I like the DII's styling and that it is not just another SUV even though my '96 explorer with 115k miles has been good to me. I won't mind a few quirks and fix its in the beginning but don't want to live at the service shop over the long haul.

Finally, any comments about LR Newport Beach or Mission Viejo in CA. They are the closest to me but I will go further for a easier or better deal if someone has a good recommendation.
    Having been reading this board for a few weeks now I am amazed at how much concern is expressed over reliability. It is a fact that the build quality of British cars in the past (with Land Rover no exception) has had some very low years (as a result of poor design elements, poor quality components and bad assembly). But now there almost aren't any British cars anymore ! Sure some are still built here but look who owns the companies. Ford have spent a lot of money on training, debugging and quality control and instilled standards that are now in keeping with the quality of the overall design concept and brand. The problem is that the "baggage" of old reliability problems is very very hard to shake off and potentail owners still expect problems. These can almost be self fulfilling prophecies in some cases and in others minor teething troubles are still thought of as proof of poor build. My advice is that Landrovers have never been so well designed and built as they are now and that they bear comparison with anything currently built in Germany, Japan or the US. So relax - buy one and see why so many people love them.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    I will be purchasing a 2002 Discovery when they become available. I have explained to my not so local dealer, that I would not be willing to place an order without seeing exactly what if any new options or new colors will be available for 2002. He has stated to me that sometime around the middle to late July, he will be able to provide me with a photo-copy of the 2002 Discovery brochure. I would certainly pass on any information by way of a post. He, my not so local dealer, is under the impression that the 2002 Discovery's will be the same as last year.
    Question,, If I purchase a 2002 Discovery which was actually manufactured in 2001, is it a 01 or an 02? Hmmm. (Just having fun here!)
    HEY LAND ROVER, Why can't we get yellow Discovery's like the one's we see in Landrover Enthusiast magazine!!!!!!! Let me see, Yellow is available in England, they all come from England, whats up with that?????
    Regards to all.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    All:

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Rovers are doing great. With the Defender in the stable, I'm able to go a day or two with each every week. The Defender is flat out fun, but every time I jump in the Disco and look down at that little green oval, I get that feeling just like the first time I drove it!

Dunno what it is about these rigs, but you just gotta love it!

Now, gotta get the Defender in for a couple of niggly things - moonroof leaks like hell (not good in Seattle - although we're in the dry season now) and a few of the radio buttons don't work. Once I get that back, I'll take the Disco in :) If you'll remember a post I made about 6-8 months ago, I was having trouble with the radio fading in and out in the DI. Moved from MI to WA in March and the radio started working fine. I assumed it was something to do with the cold weather in MI, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think the receiver is failing or there's a short/loose connection where the speakers join the stereo - it happens with both the radio and the CD player.

Still - I enjoy the sound of the engine and after a grueling day at work, the silence is better anyways :)

Thanks - wasko
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    In the past, I've seen Yellow Discos here in the US but were the Camel Trophy Editions. Don't know whether that color is reserved for special editions only.
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    How does a 2000 DII with the Performance Pkg, Cold Climate Control and Dual Sunroofs sound for about $33K and almost 10K miles?

The last 8 digits of the VIN are YA246420. Can anyone tell me what day this vehicle was manufactured?

Thanks.
    The vehicle shows a build date of 10-15-99
    It's a FRIDAY CAR!!!!!!!!!! :)

Just for fun, my last 8 of the VIN are TA180732. Tincup, can you tell me the build date?

Thanks! This is great!
    Your's was built on 11-02-95. Originally sold to Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
    Well that explains the millions of small problems when I bought it. I'll tell ya what, I seriously doubted the truck's longevity in my stable but the care and consideration of my local dealer got me "over the hump" and now I couldn't be happier.

Was it Hurron3 yesterday who admonished people to let the past sleep and take the trucks on their own current merits? He's right. Even with the aggravation I had, it was sorted under warranty and now all is well. I can only expect the new trucks to be even better and more rewarding than that!

Thanks Tincup. That explains a lot!
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    Tincup,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
    Glad to help.