Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    There are no substantial changes for the 02 Discovery. There will be several special editions available. The only one I can say anything about is the Kalahari Edition. It will be available in Yellow or Grey, with other cosmetic changes.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the information that I could not get from my dealer. If you can tell me or care to guess, when would the Kalahari be available and how much more should I expect to pay for this special edition? I am anxious to order my Land Rover and I am appreciative of your help.

Regards to all.
    Check this link out. I am not in marketing so pricing and when it will be introduced are not info I have access to, and if I did I doubt if I could post it. I am not here in any official capacity, I am just very enthusiastic about the Land Rover vehicle line.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/45785/page018.html
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    If you get a chance can you get the build date of my 1996 Disco? Last 8 digits of vin# TA533670.

Thanks Tincup!

Hope everyone is doing well, Bodhi is a bit overdue for 60k service, but she's running smoothly. Happy discoing to all!!! -ocean
    Thanks Tincup47 for the information on this vehicle. I don't understand why my not so local dealer could not provide me with the means to acquire a yellow Discovery and you could! Maybe he is misreading my actual intentions regarding the purchasing of a Discovery. Or maybe because I didn't buy one "yesterday" he is just humoring me! Anyway, I Don't really want a roof rack or wrap around brush guard bumper. I also would DIE without my lightstone leather but, she sure is yellow! We saw this vehicle at the New York auto show exactly as pictured on the link you provided.
    We have contacted our local Land Rover dealer via E-mail to inquire about ordering one. Will let you guys know what comes of it. Question, is the color yellow reserved only for special editions?
    Is this Kalahari subject to the SE,LE,SD designations? Which type is the Kalahari, SE,SD,LE?
    Regards To All.
    It was built on 06/07/96.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Hi, can you also tell me about this one, VA557338? Had some oil problems with it and also at one point, the brake fluid was leaking (more like spraying) all over the road while driving, no wonder the car was pulling to oneside as i was applying the brakes. Rear window getting stuck and found the plastic that holds the metal arm broken. I have since returned it (company lease) but my heart still desires a Disco. Maybe i'll get one later, but not yet.

TIA
    I don't think yellow will be available except as the Kalahari Special Edition. The Kalahari will be it's own model, looks to be to SE specs except for leather interior. The only vehicle we have offered in Yellow as a standard vehicle was the D90. The last Discovery in Yellow was the 1997 XD special edition.
    Don't judge your retailer too harshly, I am a huge auto enthusiast and follow the Auto show coverage religiously. I also get to see the models before they go to the show, at least until the marketing dept. moves to California.
    Vehicle was built 02/28/97
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Aha! Another friday car.

Thanks, tincup47.
  • odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Enhancements for 2002 Disco

I just spoke to a dealer in TX and he said the '02 Discos are moving up from the 4.0 to the 4.6 engine from the Range Rover and the horsepower is going up from 188 to 222. It's supposed to be a hot seller so most dealers are taking orders only from current/loyal customers and the waiting list is already getting quite lengthy. I also heard that it is up to the dealer if they want to X-Plan the vehicle or not. This particular dealer will not X-Plan the '02 Disco until mid-year of '02. There's only supposed to be a limited number of the '02s coming out. I'm not sure how reliable the source is but I have heard nothing from any other dealer in the Southwest except for this one in TX. Oh, the MSRP is also supposed to go up anywhere between $2,200 and $2,8000!

Has anybody else heard of any enhancements for the '02 Disco?? I was thinking of buying an '01 SE7 with PPK and RAC in the B.Silver next week because it was hard to find, but now I'm not too sure if I should wait until October for the New '02s???

Any comments are greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Odiopus
    Tincup47, Thanks for furthering my education on "yellow Discoveries." Can't wait to see what you make of a 4.6 engine possibly being offered in the Discovery for 2002. As far as judging my dealer too harshly, well lets just say that somewhere out there is a Land Rover dealer who will be getting my $40,000.00 plus, hard earned dollars! Be on your toes Land Rover Dealers! You'll never know when "02 discovery" will be in your "neck of the woods."
    Gotta Go, I just received my July edition of land rover enthusiasts magazine!
    Thanks Tin,
    Regards To All.
    I have heard no confirmation on this, I doubt if it will make it. It would be a nice upgrade if it does. Believe me, we are not limiting 01 or 02 Discoverys. It is the one area of growth that the has the most production capacity. There has been a big push to increase Discovery sales worldwide, and I'm sure that will continue in 02.
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Why does my car rattle so much? It only has 300 miles on it and it already rattles all over the place. It sounds like the doors are half shut, and I get an annoying squeak from the rear seat? Is there anything I can do about this?
  • awseymourawseymour Member Posts: 18
    Like a few postings before this you get used to them after a while. One thing I have found in my 2000 Dicso II with 14K, is the rear seat center arm rest cup holder makes all sorts of noise. I tried padding it but then it wont close. Moving the center arm rest up a little seems to help. I also had clacking behind the glove box, especially when cold. Make sure the rear seats are firmly planted as well. But as others have said... turn up the great stereo a little louder...
    Happy Rover !
  • sanslinksanslink Member Posts: 11
    Well, we finally did it! We are now the proud owners of a white '01 disco II with ACE and CCP! We are going to pick it up in a few weeks (it had to be shipped from the Port of LA). I saw that you could look up the VIN to find the build date and wanted to jump on the bandwagon--would you mind looking up 1A296770? Thanks!
    Congratulations on your new Discovery. Your's was built 08/22/00.
    Much appreciated! I'm not sure how much it really matters, but it looks like we got a Tuesday car. There is one discrepancy though, our dealer had told us it was built the week of May 1st of this year. Is there something else he could be referring to? It seems strange that there would be two different dates. Could one be the start date and the other the end date, or are the cars actually built in one day?
    Was the date it became available for sale, after it had cleared port inspection and customs. Cars are built in a day or 2 at the most.
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    It doesn't happen regularly but sometimes I notice that there is a black powder that spits out from the tail pipe right after the car is started. It looks like carbon. Is this normal and what causes it? Not sure if I have to be concerned. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    I have received information from my local dealer that they too have heard about plans to put the 4.6 engine in the 2002 Discovery. They have heard this rumor but also can not confirm.

That's all folks!

Regards to all.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Wiseman say never charge into 1.0 Disco product with new 4.6 engine :)
    The 4.6 engine is not new, it has been in the Range Rover since 96. Probably the area of concern for this combo would be the transfer box, the increase in torque could cause problems. The 4.6 engine is coming to the Discovery, but I doubt it will make it for 2002.
    Thanks for clearing up the dates, that explanation makes more sense.
  • schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Ahh, I put a small scratch/dent in the rear/roof of my brand new disco II (<400 miles on i). Any suggestions on good places in the DC metro area to have it repaired? Quality work is my priority, regardless of price.

Thanks!
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Yes, it sounds like carbon. That usually comes from an over-rich condition, or simply not driving her like she likes to be driven.

How's your mileage? Smooth idle? It may be you've got a "mixture" problem that the ECU isn't dealing with; it can be remapped or you may have a failing/loose sensor connection.

Before you spend a lot of money chasing this, try leaving her in '3' rather than 'D' up to about 50mph around town. Let her rev a little. Give her some regular exercize (grin) and see how she responds. I bet you'll like the results and she'll live longer.

Regards, -Bob
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the feedback nanuq.

Mileage appear to be normal and idling is smooth although I notice that once it reaches it's normal temp the rpm drops slightly below 750. I'll give your suggestion about using '3' instead of 'D' up to about 50 a try and see how it goes. I'll post the results. Pardon my ignorance but can you tell me what you mean by "over-rich" condition?
  • flyinggeek2flyinggeek2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I have just purchased a 1998 Discovery with 25,000 miles that is in great shape.
    VIN #WA760029.
    I have always wanted one of these and now that I have one,I have a couple of questions so I can enjoy this ride for a long time:
    1.The manual says that the front tires need 26psi and the back tires 36psi-is this correct?
    2.I'm looking for some more horsepower.
    Any suggestions. K&N Filter? Headers(Factory?)
    3.What brand of oil is everyone using?
    Should(Can)I use Mobil 1 synthetic?
    Standard oil with additives (Slick 50 etc.) or ?
    I live in Arizona,USA
    4.Where can I get accessories at a good price?
    5.Having installation problems with child car seats in the back seats.
    Not fitting correctly-not tight.
    6.Is there a good magazine,book or video that I should purchase?
    7.Is there a Land Rover/Discovery Club in the Arizona area that I could join?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to many Town Hall discussions.
    I can answer a couple of your questions. The tire pressures are correct. There are no factory parts for upgrading performance. No additives are approved for any Land Rover product except for a new Land Rover fuel additive. Slick 50 is a total rip-off and has shown to be harmful to some engines. Teflon has not been approved for use in engines by Dupont (The original inventor and marketer). Any brand of motor oil that meets the appropriate API service level (SG or SH) and viscosity for your areas temperature range are ok to use. 10w40 is listed as appropriate for temps between 14 to 122 degrees F. 5w50 is for temps from -22 to 122 degrees F.
  • cwigintoncwiginton Member Posts: 14
    As to your car seat question, we had problems getting our infant seat installed correctly when we followed the instructions in the manual/video. I had to resort to the dreaded locking clip and putting all of my weight on the seat to get it installed correctly. We have just purchased a Britax Roundabout because our little tyke has outgrown the infant seat. I have not yet attempted to install it, but I will update you with the results.
  • disco96disco96 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 96 disco and one day it just happen I hear this choking sound coming out of the muffler, not familiar with the sound that am hearing , first time it happen so am just wondering if someone knows hats going on to my 96 disco? Please advice me or can someone tell me hats wrong?
  • poc322poc322 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 94 Discovery with about 93000 miles on it. I just recently had a falling out with the Land Rover dealership here in Austin Texas, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might go about finding someone to work on my disco that is in some way certified. Or if anyone knows of a place in Austin, Texas that I can take my vechile. I am also wondering if the work that has been done on my disco within the past year and is still under warranty will be honored if I take the vechile some where else. Basically I'm trying to cut the dealership out of the picture completely, but would like to keep up to date on the service requirements and such.
    I hope someone can help me out, cause I would love to hold onto my disco, for no matter how much she acts up i still love driving her.
    Plus if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    Tincup, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what was the date on this VIN# TA179127.

Also, does anyone know if I could put a CD player in a '96 Disco? The one I am looking at has a cassette player.

Thanks
    Your Discovery was built 10/20/95. It is also pre-wired for a six disc CD changer which mounts under the Driver's seat behind the access panel in the seat base. You may want to check and see if it might already be there if you are not the original owner.
  • flyinggeek2flyinggeek2 Member Posts: 5
    Dear Tincup, Could I also have you run my VIN#.
    I think that this a great service that you provide. Here it is : WA760029
    And also Thank You to you and to Cwiginton for the input on the above message.
    Thanks,
    Flyinggeek2
    Your's was built on 11/05/97.
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info. It's not my Discovery. I've been looking at used Discovery's and was just curious about the CD player and the date on it.

I appreciate your help.
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    Tincup,

Do you have info on the LR extended warranty. I am looking at an '01 Disco II. It will be a company car and I need to be covered for 5 yrs and at least 100k miles. thanks
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • cwigintoncwiginton Member Posts: 14
    My wife and I installed the Britax car seat in the Rover today, and once it is tethered, it will not budge. IMO this is a great car seat and fits much better in the Rover than our infant seat.

Let me know if you have anymore car seat questions.
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    Tincup: thank you for looking up my vin #.

Has anyone had problems with the rearview mirror losing its anti-glare film?? About a week after the warranty ran out...(of course)...the blue anti-glare film started to disappear and is now almost completely gone. Does anyone know what would cause this and how I should fix it???(I never used any cleaners on the mirror). Also, I checked Atlantic British, but the only one in the catalogs is for a Rover. Thanks- Ocean
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    Dear tincup:
    Please be so kind as to look up the build-date for my Disco as well. The Vin# is 1A706761. The information you have provided in past postings has been greatly appreciated and invaluable to those who come here. Thanks.
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    I anticipate soon buying a new Disco. I do a lot of summer rock crawling in Colorada and New Mexico, although I'm from the flatlands. the sales rep for the dealership told me I do not need the skid plate package for offroading, that the Disco is fine as it is. I question that. I currently own a Jeep Grand with the plate package, which cost $230. The Disco plate package costs well over $2,000 exclusive of labor. It sure put me off and the rep seeing that might be a little less than truthful in telling me it's not needed. Any advise, anyone? Also, Motor Trend is reporting a redesign for the 2002 disco; does anyone know what that might be about?
  • danslrdiidanslrdii Member Posts: 2
    the last 8 digits of my vin are YA258597
    What's with the 18" tires with the ACE system. Their profile is lower than the 16" (55 v. 65) and I would think they would "pinch" more in the rocks and thus be more prone to failure offroad. Since they are high speed tires (why would you need that in a DII?), I see them more suited for the highway. Can you get Ace without the 18 inchers? Any comments, please? Also is the SLS worth the money? TINCUP ARE YOU THERE; IF SO, SEE POST 692 TOO. AND THANKS.
  • roo514roo514 Member Posts: 6
    Happened across this message board and it seems like a great place to ask questions! So here's mine: we're thinking of buying a 2001 Discovery II SE and are not too familiar with its reputation in terms of maintenance and reliablity. We're not ones to buy a vehicle, get tired of it and resell - our current cars all have over 100K miles on them. So how long can we expect to have the Discovery? Can it make it to 200K miles? And what is everybody's experiences been like with maintenance? Any major problems? I read an earlier message about things (seats, doors, etc.) rattling, is that common? We don't plan to be doing any offroading or anything like that.

One more thing. I see that the TMV (for my area - N. California) of the base price of the SE is $34,677 and the MSRP is $36,750. However, when we went to the dealer, he stated that the price can't be negotiated (that we can only negotiate maintenence fees) and that Land Rovers never go on sale. So why is the TMV $2000 lower? Should we be able to buy it for less than MSRP?

Thanks!
  • bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    "never go on sale" is not really true. Less than market lease and finance rates are a sale. The 5.9% loan rate is essentially a $2000 discount due to lost interest income.

In so cal the dealers seem willing to negotiate. I will know better in a couple weeks when I actually try to purchase an '01 DII.
  • mattb15613mattb15613 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 98' D1. When I went to fill up with gas for the first time I had a problem. The first 2 or 3 gallons went in fine then it kept overflowing even though it only had a few gallons in it. I had to keep slowly squeezing the handle for about 10 minutes to fill it. This happened again at the next fill-up at a different station. Does anybody know why? Thanks, Matt
    See posts 692 and 694. Are skid plates and ACE worth it in your opinion. and, would you wait for 2002 or buy 2001 now. Dealer has 2001 on lot I like, but no ACE.
    For most people who offroad on Discoverys the skid plates aren't needed. If you go into extremely rocky areas I would recommend them. They are available individually so you can look underneath and see where you feel you might need them. ACE is not available except with 18" tires and wheels. I imagine you could get 16" rims and tires. ACE has one good feature for off-roading although it is primarily an on-road system. In low range it disengages, which disables the sway bars. This allows greater axle articulation as the sway bars aren't trying to keep everything level. SLS allows more rear ground clearance and increases the angle of departure. It also extends itself automatically if you get the vehicle high centered.