Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I am presently on vacation until July 5. I'll answer all the build date requests when I get back to work and access to my office computer.
  • waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Oceandweller:

Join the club! Maybe they're automatically setup to 'drain' when the warranty runs out :)

I had the same problem with my DI - the oily stuff spilled all over my dash and console. Now there is a dry ring left around the mirror.

For the small (automatic) loss in functionality, I have decided not to replace it. I just tilt the mirror up when driving at night :)

Thanks - wasko
  • onyxfilmonyxfilm Member Posts: 1
    HI! I am looking to purchase a 2000 Disco II. It's a great deal with the leather package and is prewired for the CD changer. Here's my question: The dealer says I can only get the Land Rover make CD changer if I want it to work with the controls on the steering wheel--except that is $700 CD player! Can I use a third party player that will work with the land rover controls or is the dealer right? Can I get a third-party player and use it if it has a remote control? Thanks for your help!
  • oceandwelleroceandweller Member Posts: 58
    WASKO: Good to know I'm not the only one! I haven't noticed any leaks, but it has disappeared in a matter of weeks. I can live with out it, I find the height of the vehicle and the tilt of the mirror makes night driving no problem... but it was nice while it lasted. -Ocean

Has anyone been using Castrol Syntec in their rovers? I just replaced the oil and went synthetic and I love the differences: smooth running and better pick up etc.. I heard Chevron makes a good synthetic, one of my mechanics was raving about it.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    I have off-roaded both my skid-plate equipped, non-ACE '00 DII as well as my non skid-plated '99 DII with ACE, in NM and CO, and have had no problems or complaints with either vehicle. The ACE is really nice when driving roads like the million $ highway in CO, but it's not a real necessity - the non-ACE vehicle just leans a little more, but not enough to justify $ 2900. I would for sure get the front skid-plate to cover the steering stuff, as based on my scuffmarks on the plated vehicle, there is a good potental for damage there. I've also had no problems with the low profile tires on "the rocks".

Maintenance on the DII is no big deal, costs are no more than my Toyota or Benz, or any other vehicle for that matter - plus you can do a lot yourself. My biggest problem has been scheduling the services - usually takes 3 weeks advance notice - I hope I never need emergency repairs.
    mr toad, your vehicle was built 10/17/00
    danslrdii your vehicle was built on 12/14/99
    The Discovery has won the Strategic Vision Total Quality Award.
  • jackickjackick Member Posts: 12
    Hey Tincup- our vin is #YA242528. What's our birthday?

Love the truck thus far- we have camped in it (we are shorter in stature, so folding the seats down and sleeping in the back is not too bad), brought the bikes out (with a hitch mounted Yakima rack- although the back is inaccessible with the rack on) and attended a LR picnic event where we could offroad to the best of our abilities. (She has some minor battle scars too, which adds to my affection for this vehicle!) I have even taken the truck through some fields just for fun. As a passenger noted, "This was fun in our Blazer but it's even more fun to do in your Land Rover!!!!!!"

Only concern is the gas mileage on our 2000 Discovery II- I was expecting an average between the low of 13 and the high of 17 based on the fuel economy blurb on the window sticker. Even with a tank full on highway, we are averaging 14.5. We use 92 octane and run the "econ" for the climate control. Any suggestions on improving the 14.5? I know this isn't a Geo Metro but I would like to try to get better mileage if possible.

Thanks for all of the guidance on this informative board!

PS: I renamed her the Weiner Mobile- for numerous reasons, but it seems to fit her personality!!!!!
    Your Discovery was built 9/16/99
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I use Syntec 5/50 in winter for the flow capability when it's cold out, and I use 20/50w GTX in summer, with 2 quarts of Syntec replacing 2 quarts of dino-oil. I use Wix 51515 filters (I think that number's right) and love 'em. That Wix is the long-body Fram PH8A replacement.

Some folks report noisy "tappy" lifters... a few months of Syntec seems to wash the crud out and quiet things up. Plus it has a higher flash point so you get fewer deposits on the exhaust valve stems. That's pretty important for '96 GEMS 4.0 trucks.

If you use 20/50w in summer, keep the RPMs down (like below 2k) until the temp gauge comes up off the peg. Otherwise you can pop open the popoff valve in the filter and run all that crud thru your engine again.

Happy Rovering! -Bob
  • jcelderjcelder Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a late model (96 or newer) Land Rover Discovery with preferably under 70,000 miles. I can only spend about $18,000-19,000 (or less) and would like to know what the service histories of Land Rover owners are? As a rule, is there a certain point where Land Rovers become frequently broken down? Can one buy a Discovery and rely on it to have relatively minor cost repair problems for 70,000-120,000 miles. I have heard some stories that Land Rovers have spotty repair problems especially toward high miles. As I can imagine they are expensive to fix,is the extended warranty worth it? What kind of mechanical problems should I anticipate? How would anyone compare their Rover with cost of ownership to a similar or cheaper SUV? Please let me have any *unbiased* opinions of your experiences.
  • 02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone know if the Tomb Raider Defender will be offered in the USA for 2002?
    The Defender will not be available in the U.S. before 2004-2005. The vehicle needs a complete dash redesign to comply with U.S. safety standards.
  • flyinggeek2flyinggeek2 Member Posts: 5
    Check out a CD changer on roverconnection.com or go on E-bay and pick up a used LR CD then just plug and play.
    Thanks for the Defender information. It will be a good while until 04/05 so, lets forget about the new Defenders for now. What is a Strategic Vision Total Quality Award? I trust this award has more to do with than the view from the drivers seat.
    Thanks Tin,
    Regards To All,
    This link is to their site, gives the story better than I can.

http://www.vision-inc.com/01_tqa_release.html

Could someone let me know if there is anywhere on the web/internet where I could view the land rover discovery series II Kalahari edition. I am only aware of the one photo taken at the auto show, the one where it is posed on the man made mountain. This picture only affords a side view. I have spent some time trying to locate additional photo's, but have been unsuccessful. Thanks.
    Regards to all.
    Here is a site I've found that has info and a different pic.

http://www.landyonline.co.za/specs/kalahari_discovery.htm
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    Has anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area paid less then "Sticker" for a 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE? If so, how much did you get it for and how was it equiped?
  • ljroveraroundljroveraround Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a Range Rover 4.0. The Range was recently returned to Land Rover (3 year lease terminated) with only 12,000 miles. It's a 1998 with a sale price of $38K. I've searched for used Range Rovers and typically they all have between 33K-40K of miles driven for 1998-2000 rovers and up to 60K miles of warranty with the ability to extend the warranty up to 100 miles.

I'm looking to potentially close on the purchase Tuesday July 10, 2001. However, I'm not in a rush or neither am I pressed to make a purchase. I feel as though I've come across a great deal, given the details listed above. Basically, if this is a good deal I don't want it to get away from me.

What I'm looking for is perhaps some feedback, suggestions and recommendations that will either make or break my decision to purchase it.

Thanks in advance!

ljroveraround (Lionell)
    tincup47,

Could you please review my message that I recently posted concerning the subject of a 1998 4.0 Range Rover with 12k MILES with a price tag of $38K.
    Not knowing the history of the particular vehicle you are looking at, it's very hard for me to give an opinion. I do have a couple of questions though. Is this vehicle for sale through a Land Rover retailer or from another dealer or private party? Do you have the last eight of the VIN? If so I could check history of the vehicle. It does sound like a good deal with the info you have given.
    tincup47,

Is this vehicle for sale through a Land Rover retailer or from another dealer or private party?

This Range is for sale through Prestige Land Rover auto group at www.prestigelandrover.com; Pre-Owned Land Rover.

Do you have the last eight of the VIN?
    On the Retail Buyer's Order that I have from Prestige Land Rover, there is a Serial Number listed. However, I'm not sure if this is the same as the VIN number. If so, the last eight digits are: WA397038.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Looking at vehicle history, I find nothing that would keep me from recommending this vehicle. The vehicle was built 3/10/98 and has had no major issues. It does show 2 outstanding recalls, which may have been done but not recorded with us.
    Would this imply that Land Rover recalled the SUV for some Major Reason and the Owner may or may have not taken the SUV in for service?

I feel good about the millage and really don't have a problem with the fact that the SUV is a 1998 versus 1999,2000 2001 etc. For the price, performance and quality for some reason I feel better about purchasing a used Range than a New Discovery Series II. Is it possible to match up, point-for-point, a Series II 2001 or 2002, fully loaded, with a used RR 4.0 1998 and expect the same performance and capabilities as the RR?

Thanks again for the research and INFO!

Cheers
    Lionell
    The recalls were issued after the owner had the 7500 mile service. It could just be a record keeping issue. The retailer will be able to verify this, and should perform the recalls before sale if they haven't been done.
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the advice with the skid plates and ACE. Since you travel in the same regions I vacation (Million Dollar Hwy/Silverton area), what do you think of adding SLS to increase the departure angle? I also offroad some in Canyon Lands, UT; Elephant hill was really mean and my Jeep Grand blew a front drive CV joint and I had to hobble out. The next year it blew again on the relatively simple 100 mile Canyon Rim Trail. that is why I'm kissing Jeep off and going with DII. Also, do you think the DII can handle Black Bear in Silverton, CO; most experts in the area say use a short wheelbase like a Wrangler.
    LJroveraround has heightened my curiosity by posing the question would a used low milage Range Rover make a better deal than a New 01,02 Discovery. I am well aware that we would be comparing "apples to oranges" but what do you guys think?
    Regards To All,
    Hello "kbowen"! Not to worry, the DII can handle any trail you want, except maybe Holy Cross and the like. The only problem is the approach and departure angles - the [non-permissible content removed] will scrape on Black Bear, and the front will scrape just about everywhere. A lot of people are cutting away the "valance" below the front bumper to gain better approach angles. The SLS will help a little, and every little bit helps, but I just let the hitch serve as a rock slide - it can handle it.

You really need to come to Ouray on 8-2 thru 8-5 for the National Land Rover Rally - you will get to do many of the trails and have plenty of help available should something go bad. It's also fun to just watch the "hot doggers" do their thing.

I've never yet seen a Rover break anything, but I've seen Jeeps and Explorers just fall apart.

If you got the $$, get the ACE and SLS plus skid plates - much is to be said for peace of mind! The ACE will you give more axle articulation plus you can drive the Million $$ Hyw. like a BMW.

I've gone off-roading in the San Juan Mtns. for 12 years, mostly in Toyotas'(truck and 4-Runner), but they can't come close to the Disco in capability. Even Poughipsi Gulch (sp.?) can't beat the stock Rovers.

And on the slick-rock in Utah - good god what traction ! You can almost climb vertical walls. But again, you'll scrape front and rear, plus your mudflaps will take a beating. And probably your plastic "rock-sliders" under the doors - real steel rock sliders will be my next off-road option to add on.

Happy Rovering! See ya in Ouray!?
  • roo514roo514 Member Posts: 6
    Can someone clarify how the A plan pricing works? I'm looking to buy a 2001 Discovery II. If I go to different dealers with this plan, should I be getting quotes for the same price or is the price set by the dealer? What is the final price's relationship to the invoice? Do I get charged dealer holdbacks?

Thanks!
    Is for Ford Employees or their immediate Families only. Z-Plan is for Ford retirees. X-Plan is for friends, non-immediate family, and partner organizations. If you qualify for A-Plan pricing the price will be printed on the invoice, that is what you pay. It should not vary for identically equipped models from dealer to dealer. Dealers are not required to sell their vehicles at on any plan, it is strictly voluntary. But if they do, they have to sell it at that price with no additional fees. They can charge for extra equipt they have put on the vehicle, that includes paint treatments, stripes, etc.
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    Thanks again Rene Koesler. The info you gave me is invaluable, particulary since you offroad in the exact same areas the wife and I go. We have been over all of the "tourist" trails, and a few of the rougher ones like poskespee (sp?), in the Silverton/Ouray/Lake City, etc. area and have a ball everytime. (Still haven't done Black Bear, though.)Usually we come up (from New Orleans)for the Silverton Music Festival in late June, but are considering the Silverton Hard Rock Festival instead for next year as we can't make it this year. This festival follows the Rally in Ouray by a week this year and I suppose it is scheduled every year like that so it would be easy to catch both. As for the DII, I'm going with the ACE and SLS as you suggested, but because the dealership can't locate one with SLS without the rear seat package, I'll have to get that too(SE7). Skid plates are really expensive (over 2K for all four), so I may limit selection to front steering where you said your plates get the most scuff marks. A gas tank plate might not be a bad idea either given your experience with the rear end dragging. Do you know if a plate package can be had that is cheaper anywhere in the SE CO area. I sure hate to spend that kind of $$ on plain old steel.
  • janssen99janssen99 Member Posts: 2
    I plan on purchasing a DII within the next month or so. I have always loved the looks and uniqueness of all the Land Rovers. And when I recently test drove a new DII with ACE I became hooked.

I was planning on dishing out the $42K for a New SE7 with ACE. However the dealership has a '99 DII w/ ACE for just under $30K. It is a nice vehicle however it does have a mild scent of smoke that I hope could be eliminated, otherwise perfect condition. For the price I am leaning toward the '99.

*Anyone know if the '99 DII's have more problems than the new ones?
    *I have read about the brake problems with some, is this a real common problem?
    *What about the overall reliability of the DII's? (there is no consumer reports or anything else so you guys are it)
    *Any suggestions as to what to buy or watch out for?
    *Lastly, any suggestions for getting a better deal on a new DII than what the local dealer is asking, they want just less than MSRP and about $2500 more than the TMV?

Tincup please put in your two cents worth, you seem to be the local expert that everyone looks to.

Thanks
    As an employee of LRNA here in an unofficial capacity I am limited in what I can comment on. I can say there are always teething problems with new models, and Ford has made very positive changes at the Solihull facility that have resulted in probably the best product ever coming out of the U.K.
  • brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    When you were addressing the Ford A plan, you mentioned that if the dealership does honor the A plan, they couldn't charge extra fees. What extra fees are you referring to? Are they advertising fees, etc.? And does that also go for the X-Plan.

Thanks
    Is included in the A-plan price on the invoice. According to the New Vehicle Purchase Plan brochure I have A-Plan price includes advertising, transportation, dealer prep, and administrative fees. If you qualify for A-plan you should receive the A-plan price printed on the invoice, X-plan will be 4% higher. No fees should be charged on either plan.
    Hello "kbowen", sorry to hear you can't make the Rally. I did not get the fuel tank skid plate on my 00 because I felt that the OEM plate, even as thin as it is, would, along with the hitch, give me enough protection out back. Plus, I wanted to save $400 clams. I don't know of anyone except
    "SouthDown" who makes skidplates for the DII - so you have to pay big bucks.

"jannsen99", if I were you I'd stick with the '00 model DII. I had an early production '99 and it was a break-down/repair nightmare (18 repairs, major and minor, in less than 12 months, and 11,000 miles for a total of 8000 warranty $$). My 00 on the other hand, at 20,000 miles, has been perfect - so far. The good thing is, with LR, once something is fixed, it tends to stay fixed. If you do want the '99, have the dealer run the service record and get an extended warranty if you can.

Good luck to you all!
  • simrocksimrock Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to fit two carseats in the back of my Disco II (one being rear facing) and having a problem with them not fitting because the rear seats are too close to the front seats. Has anyone found carseats that will work! Thanks
  • simrocksimrock Member Posts: 3
    I actually live in San Jose area and went to the Redwood city dealership to purchase the car. They would not go under sticker so we drove to Fresno Huran Dealership and paid 5,000 less then we would have from sj or redwood city. THe funny part is that they got the car from the redwood city dealership and sent it to Fresno. Definitely worth the 2 hour drive. sunroofs, 3rd row seats, leather, running boards.
    Simrock
  • kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    Simrock:
    Thanks for the information. I am amazed that you save $5K. Did you call any other dealerships other than Fresco? I assume that you finalized the price over the phone before you drove down there?

The local dealerships said that I had to buy a truck from a dealer in my area. They said that out of area dealers would not eel to me. Based on what you did, this does not seem like the case.
    Thanks again.

Kelvin
  • buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Is there a hood deflector or bra available for the DII? Does anyone know where to get it? The paint on the front side of the hood on mine is getting a lot of chips from road debris. Worst yet, the windshield is getting messed up as well. I know the deflector may not help much but at least it will take care of the lighter, smaller stuff. If possible, please include websites. I've searched quite a bit on the web but couldn't find a shop that carries either. By the way, anyone know where I could get a great deal on side boards (preferrably L/R original equipment)?
    Has Bra's and Hood deflectors.
    www.roverparts.com
  • cwigintoncwiginton Member Posts: 14
    When we used our infant seat (rear facing), we didn't have a problem with it fitting behind the front seats. However, now that Junior has gotten too big for his infant carrier, we have switched to a convertible rearward facing Britax seat and I have had to put it in the middle of the back seat.

I guess my answer to your question is if you can get away with using an infant seat, you should probably be able to make it fit on one side of the back seat and put the forward facing on the other side. If you are having to use the convertible seat for rearward facing, you may have to see if you can fit one in the middle and one in one of the outboard rear seats.

Hope this helps.

Christopher

P.S. The infant seat that my wife and I used was the Century SmartFit Plus
  • grover4grover4 Member Posts: 13
    tincup
    we are looking at buying a new discovery with
    vin #1A292277.

thanks for the info.

grover4
    It was built on 07/11/00
  • phefferpheffer Member Posts: 4
    Any issues with this year? I have found a 96 discovery SE7 loaded with only 22,000 miles and a price tag of 17,900. The vin is 1546963.
    I need the last eight of the vin, what you posted does not come up. For a 96 MY it should Have the letter T (96) then 7 numbers.
    Tincup,

Its SALJY1244TA196020.

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

Jeff
    Well, the vin description I gave shows I'm human. Oops. It is 2 letters then six numbers. The Discovery you're looking at was built 03/20/96. No major repairs under warranty, just a few leaks and adjustments.
    Tincup,

Its SALJY1244TA196020.

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

Jeff