Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Try out a Malibu also, the seats are very comfortable and the lumbar is perfect for me anyway. I drove 5 hours straight on Sunday and I felt great on arrival!

Nice change from my wife's van.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning!

You make an excellent point! ---- I will put the Malibu on my short list. ---- I think the Chevrolet Malibu now has a 6 speed automatic transmission on both the 4 & 6 cylinder engines. If this is correct, I would like to drive both vehicles. If the mileage is very similiar, I would pick the 6 cylinder, because the American manufacturer has never made a four cylinder engine that I liked! ------ My family once had a Ford, (fix or repair daily), Tempo that was complete garbage. Ford replaced the engine once under an extended warranty, and the second engine was on its way out when they traded it for a GM vehicle. (Yes, they did all the oil and filter changes at the dealer!)

Best regards. ------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I think with the new 6spd transmission, it will run much smoother. The 4spd literally suffocates the engine of its true power. It is like night and day difference between the GM 4spd 4cyl engine and the Accord 5spd 4cyl engine. The Accord is much more refined, you can get by more in the Accord 4cyl. I think if GM tuned the engine right with the 6spd, than you got a better fit. The 4spd 4cyl is so jumpy, and it changes gears when you least expect it. I am like, "uh, what are you doing?". It has decent power, but all in the upper range, and with limited gears, it wants to rev. That extra gear makes a difference. Because I have driven both.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >because the American manufacturer has never made a four cylinder engine that I liked!

There people go again, stereotyping current cars based on past experiences or talk. Go drive a Malibu. See what you think NOW.

Isn't the Honda a 5-speed automatic? You'd want the 6-speed from Malibu!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I drove both a 4 and a 6 cyl Malibu with the 6-speed. The 4 is just fine but the 6 made me smile and I like to smile. I went with the 6. More gas sure but I don't drive much so even when gas prices go back up (and I think they will in a year or two when this mess passes) it will be fine.

Nice thing with the Malibu is you can buy a top of the line LTZ with a I-4 which is not possible with most mid-size cars.
    Good Morning!
    YES, ---- I want it all! -------------- Why? ---- Because I am purchasing this vehicle with "my hard earned money," and that fact places me in the driver's seat. --------- Prior to purchasing the 2007 Camry, I wanted to purchase a 2007 Impala with the LT2 trim package. There was not one 2007 Impala in my area of New Jersey (IN STOCK) with the LT2 package! So, I purchased a foreign vehicle! ----- The American dealer / manufacturer had an opportunity to make a sale, but they could not deliver! This is not my problem, it is their problem! If the American manufacturer wants to sell their product, let them make a product that meet the needs of the American buyer! If a foreign dealer can stock vehicles with a variety of trim packages, so can the American dealer. If a foreign manufacturer can make and design a smooth running four cylinder engine, so can an American manufacturer. If they can't then let them lose the sale! YES, ---- it is that simple!
    Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    >There was not one 2007 Impala in my area of New Jersey (IN STOCK) with the LT2 package! So, I purchased a foreign vehicle!

What you do is place an order and the factory builds one to exactly your liking and color. That's what I've done for 5 out of the last 7 cars I bought. Two were available at the dealer in the format I wanted.

>If a foreign dealer can stock vehicles with a variety of trim packages, so can the American dealer.

I've read many people not being able to find certain combinations of options on foreign vehicles. Myself when shopping in the past I noticed that RED was almost unavailabe on Honda dealer lots. Also I want to be able to add options in the pattern I wish without having to buy a certain car with options AB and if I want C I also have to buy the vehicle with option ABCD because that's the way the company builds them. I have been able to do that with the cars I've bought.

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have one neighbor who drives a Honda and one up the street who has a Camry I think but anyway a Toyota and both claim that they can't really order a car to their liking. They make a request and the dealer turns it in to reginal and they give them what is available close to what they want. They both claim that different regions push different packages and you MUST take the car with that package no matter what. The Toyota guy wanted a Prius but at the time he would have had to take a certain package to get the options he wanted and it included a Nav. system which he didn't want to spend that kind of money. At least I can go to any GM dealer and order just what I want, color I want and have it in about 6 weeks or sooner.
    Well, like I stated, I have driven both Honda and GM cars. Both recent, the Honda 4cyl is more smooth, refined, has more torque. That is why most are finding themselves to have to get the 6cyl, because they 4cyl cannot provide what people like that the 6cyl can do better. Honda 4cyl has a better grasp with this. You are right though, I have never driven the 6cyl Malibu, I am sure it is pretty nice.I really like the new Malibu.

To be honest I hear this kind of opinion about GM from others I talk to, so its not coincidence. I really just can't past the fact the GM car depreciates so fast, literally prices on them drop, plummet so fast compared to other makes. That is really disappointing.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    "At least I can go to any GM dealer and order just what I want, color I want and have it in about 6 weeks or sooner."

I've done the same thing. I wonder why Detroit doesn't advertise this? You'd think they'd be desparate for any edge these days.
    >I really just can't past the fact the GM car depreciates so fast

Explaining reality of money on that for those who aren't going to trade every two years is like explaining how the economic financial mess got started; no one wants to really place the facts where they lie.

Take the price of the actual car, after discounts, as you drive it off the lot. Divide your likely sale value after a few years by that. For the GM, I can get a good discount, and I can leave the dealer without being ripped off by mandatory (in their head) doc fees, prep fees, polish fees, waterproof fees, etc. At the two local other brand dealers, there are ADMs on the car with stuff added on for hundreds (besides the packs added on by the area wholesale license holder), and anything they can add on. Take your value of the car and divide by the out-the-door price. I don't see a difference that would make me buy something I didn't like quite as much and pay the extra fees added on. In this area they want you to thank them for letting you look around the showroom or dealer lot at one dealership.

I buy and hold a car for 10 years typically.

I think most people who buy cars just go to the dealers and either get one off the lot, or from a dealer trade, they can't wait the 6 weeks it takes to order so these people are rare.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I buy and hold a car for 10 years typically.

I do too. But you can get more for a 10 year old Accord, than you can for a 10 year old Malibu. And probably sell it in half the time. I also want to do a long test drive of the car I want to buy. If it's not on the lot, that's not going to happen until the car comes in. Then, if you happen to not like the car, when it comes in and you test drive it, your back to square one.
    :P :shades: They may not have the color or exact options you want on a car but I'm sure they got one close enought to drive. Last I knew colors don't make them drive differently nor do most of the options on a car. I'm betting you just don't want a Malibu and will use any excuse to get the other car.
    Just because a car on the lot is the same model, it's still not "that" car, and could feel totally different behind the wheel. I once bought a brown car, instead of a red car, because it felt much better on the test drive. I think how the car feels, is more important than the color, so I would never order a car for a certain color. One EX can drive a lot better than the EX next to it.
    I have seen some used Malibus for sale and the resale is holding up pretty well on them vs. say an Impala. I think people know the new Malibu is a good car now and their value is holding up better than most GM cars. CTS's hold value well also, I know that because I tried to buy a used one with no luck.

Anyway, I drive my cars for 7-9 years so I am not too worried about resale.
    Hi imidazl97:
    I would never order any vehicle. ------ REASON: ---- If I do not like the quality of the vehicle when it arrives at the dealership I now have a "BIG PROBLEM"! ------- I want to walk their "holding lot," pick the vehicle, have a set of dealer plates put on the vehicle, and take it out for a drive! ----- I am always professional in my dealings with the staff at dealerships, but I purchase vehicles on my terms not on the dealer's terms! -------- REASON: ---- I have the money, and they want to sell me a vehicle! That puts me in the driver's seat! ------ Now that dealerships are going out of business, what happens to a "deposit on a new car order" if the dealer is no longer in business? How does the customer get either the deposit or the new vehicle?

Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    >ip I now have a "BIG PROBLEM"!

You drive it after it comes in. If you don't like it you don't take delivery. :blush: End of deal!
    That's the same thing as when you drive a car that's on the dealer lot.

>but I purchase vehicles on my terms not on the dealer's terms! :mad:

When you accept only the color or the package combinations left on the picked over :sick: dealer lot, you are buying a car no the DEALER'S terms, not your terms. Ordering a car puts you in the driver's seat. ;)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Ordering a car gets it how you want it and the dealer avoids flooring costs. However, the incentives may change by the time it is delivered and if you don't like it you may still be out the deposit you put down.
    Ordering a car puts you in the driver's seat.

Not today. :( Maybe in a couple months. :cry:
    I have purchased at least 30 vehicles in my life and ordered around 10 to 12 and never put down a deposit yet. Of course I don't mess with those little dealers. Have been using the same dealer for over 20 years. I even ordered my 02 40 foot 200K motorhome and never had to put down a deposit. Maybe I just have an honest face. :shades:
    We ordered our van. It was 4 1/2 weeks and it's been perfect. Great thing is it is exactly what we wanted and we could choose incentives of the day we bought or the incentives at time of delivery. Great hedge I thought!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I think the Chevrolet Malibu now has a 6 speed automatic transmission on both the 4 & 6 cylinder engines. If this is correct, I would like to drive both vehicles. If the mileage is very similiar, I would pick the 6 cylinder, because the American manufacturer has never made a four cylinder engine that I liked!

The mileage is dramatically lower for the V6 Malibu over the 4-cylinder Malibu, but better on the I4 models versus the competition in this forum.

Malibu
    V6: 17/26 MPG (252hp)
    I4: 22/33 MPG (169hp)

Camry
    V6: 19/28 MPG (268hp)
    I4: 21/31 MPG (158hp), same mileage for Auto and Manual

Accord
    V6: 19/29 MPG (271hp)
    I4 (Auto): 21/30 MPG (177-190hp)
    I4 (Man): 22/31 MPG (177-190hp)
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Looks like the Malibu I4 with the 6 sp trans is the clear winner of the three you listed. I wonder if it's made alongside the Saturn Aura at the Kansas plant? If my info is correct, the Aura made with 86% domestic parts (not bad, but we should be able to do a little better perhaps?).

I like the Malibu's looks (though I really like the dual exhaust of the V6's) and will put it on my short list for my next auto purchase. (Unless I can get a REALLY great deal on a Vette). :shades:
    Looks like the Malibu I4 with the 6 sp trans is the clear winner of the three you listed.

Indeed it is. Something to pay attention to though is the Camry's new 2.5L I4, which will debut in a matter of months. It'll offer close to 180hp, and if I had to guess, very competitive fuel economy.

Also noteworthy (although not in this particular discussion) is the Nissan Altima 2.5L, which manages the best city in the midsize class (23/32 with the 6-speed stick, 23/31 with the CVT).
    With the increase of HP in the camry, aren't they just catching up to its competitors?
    I have driven the camry, I felt it was good power, but, the Accord 4cyl had a bit more oomph to it. Of course that was the 06 Accord. I am not sure how the 08 Accord and the newer increased Camry will compare. Both are great cars.

It is great that GM is offering a more competitive transmission. But, they need a bit more tweaking in their 4cyl to make it more refined, and relocating its power band in the right area. I think a little re-programming is desperately needed. Because, that leaves me to the question of why many are finding the have to opt for the 6cyl rather than the 4cyl on a GM product. I find my 08 GM 4cyl 4spd transmission to be very annoying! :mad: I currently have it for sale, for lease transfer. I am going back to Honda! :)
    With the increase of HP in the camry, aren't they just catching up to its competitors?

Horsepower-wise, yes. But they'll likely leapfrog the competition (save for the Altima) in torque, which is where Honda still can't get much past the 160 lb-ft barrier.

It is worth noting that the current 2.4L Camry (actually the 155hp PZEV version)was tested to be quicker than the 2.4L 177hp Accord in standing start acceleration right here at Edmunds.

Edmunds had this to say about the Accord LX-P:

Low-end torque is not a strong suit of the Accord's 2.4-liter engine, which is rated at 177 hp at 6,500 rpm and 161 lb-ft at 4,300 rpm. In typical Honda fashion, though, power builds as you move up the tach, with the most dramatic change coming at 5,000 rpm when the variable valve timing switches over to more aggressive camshaft profiles.

This was evident during acceleration testing, where the Accord ran to 60 mph in 9.3 seconds, yet nearly caught up with the Camry in the quarter-mile traps with a run of 17.1 seconds at 81.9 mph.

And about the Camry LE:

And just like the V6 version, the four-cylinder Toyota Camry is quick relative to its competition. Our LE test car's 8.9-second 0-60-mph time is tops for this group, as is its 16.9-second quarter-mile at 82.3 mph (though the Accord, which has 19 more horsepower, nearly closed the gap).

It's no wonder the Camry produces such numbers, as our California car with its PZEV-rated 2.4-liter inline-4 produces 155 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 158 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. (The non-PZEV engine delivers 158 hp and 161 lb-ft of torque.) It felt more responsive in city traffic than the inline-4s of the Chevy and Honda. Power delivery is about as smooth as it gets with four cylinders.
    Pao:
    I do not think the Malibu should be compared to the Camry or the Accord! --- The Impala would be a better comparison.

As far as the problems with the V6 2007 Camry, I own a XLE / 07 / V6 Camry with 46,000 miles, and I DO NOT have any of the problems that you see posted on these boards!

This vehicle is a "drive by wire vehicle" and many of the owners are not comfortable with that system. ----- Since I am in sales, I do an extensive amount of highway driving. On long trips I easily get 34 mpg at 60 to 65 mph. If I lower the speed to 45 / 50 mph I have seen 38 mpg. (Not bad for a full-size vehicle with a V6!

Show me an American vehicle that can give those numbers!

Best regards! ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The drive by wire on the 4 cylinder Camry is fine. The problems were on the '07 and '08 Camrys, but they are easily fixed by the dealer with a simple 25 minute reprogramming of the engine control computer. TSB 0068-08. My '07 4 cylinder is great, and goes pretty fast for a 4 cylinder.

All of these cars have their +/-, but I think they are all decent cars. I still prefer the Camry though!
    I cannot believe we are comparing a GM product to a Honda or nissan product in the first place..lol. You drive a Malibu 4cyl or a Honda Accord 4cyl, the differences in engine are quite large. The Honda engine is night and day better. I think that is the one thing GM hasn't really focused on much. Their just now offering a 6spd transmission on the auto, coming from a 4spd. Impala fleet car to an Accord? That just looks silly. No offense to you at all. But, it comes down to why are we even looking at a GM car to a Honda. The malibu's body has only recently begun to be attractive (engine, I am not sure), so the malibu could be a good comparison.

You do not hear people talk about GM's engines, other than if its a sports car. But, you do not hear people say the V6 is smooth and refined, or you can get by with a 4cyl because it is so smooth and efficient. Why do you see most people opt to get the V6 in a GM car? The 4cyl cannot cut it. My 06 Accord 4cyl engine would blow the G6 4cyl I have now off the road!!! Not to mentions its crappy transmission.

I would love to have my Honda back, but the Camry looks nice too. As long as its suspension isn't soft.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think they should add the new Fusion to this comparison.
    I believe Midsize Sedans 2.0 covers all the bases here. :)
    Hi All:
    I would NEVER purchase a 4 cylinder American vehicle! ------- American car manufacturers cannot build a quality four cylinder engine!---- I was comparing the V6 Impala, to the V6 Camry, to the V6 Honda Accord!
    Best regards to all! ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Greg, I'm not clear if you've driven a Malibu 4-cyl with the 6-speed transmission in the newer model? If you haven't please stop and drive one or more at different dealers and see how they work.

Yes, I bet they are an improvement over the older 4spd auto. But, I do agree that American cars have not accomplished a successful 4cyl. You try driving a new VW Jetta with a 2.0T with the DSG transmission. That thing simply rolls!! Its so much fun!!
    No where near any 4cyl GM car. Night and day difference. Honestly, I think there is something wrong with my 4cyl!! I think the transmission might be going out, its slips and surges all the time into gear. Its all done a little too rough periodically. I am trying to get the dealer to look at it. It feels like I am driving an older car with over 100k miles on it.

I only have 15,000 miles on it. I drive gently with my car too. :( Driving calmy too seems to show more signs of transmission problems. There is this one gear that has seems to shift rough, even when new, I just though it needed broken in. ?

I want to try to talk to someone in the business to see what my options are right now. I have been in the car a year (lease)... If it wasn't for the engine being so BLAH! I would actually like my 08 G6. Obviously I'll keep it til the end if I need to, but why not seek all options and avenues too right?
    The 6-speed makes a huge difference. I ended up with a 3.6 / 6-speed but I tried both a 4-speed and 6 and the 6 was much more responsive and smooth.

GM's 2.4L is a nice little engine, definitely one of the best 4 bangers around.
    "GM's 2.4L is a nice little engine, definitely one of the best 4 bangers around."

Are you serious? It is the worst engines I have driven! Yes, the 6spd 4cyl was a bit better, but they certainly was not close to the feel of the 06 Accord 4cyl I had a year ago. Or close to the 08 Jetta SE engine. It could be a great engine, but the transmission, engine programming are completely off. Not to mention its loss of refinement and low smoothness.

No offense to you at all. But, in my experience, my opinion, it is an engine that seems like its been neglected, with no real improvement. My 08 Jetta SE, and the Accord 4cyl would blow the GM 4cyl off the road.

Perhaps it just my car 08 G6 4cyl.. I have had the Catalytic converter replaced, not sure, but the transmission feels off too. But even the rental felt similar, but better with a 6spd auto.
    Sometimes better is in the eyes of the beholder or in the pocketbook. Compared to the engines you named you may be right but sometimes simpler is better when it comes to repairs. It has been my experiences that foreign parts can be at least twice the price as American parts. To me that makes the American engine better.
    You may good points, but simply parts availability and pricing does not a "good engine" make, to me. Then again, I'm not an engineer, I'm a driving enthusiast who expects his car to make it to 200k miles. (I'm 40 miles shy of 194k in my '96 Accord LX 2.2L 4-speed automatic). My newer one is barely broken in... 2006 2.4L Accord with 48k miles. :)
    Me, I liked my 01 Cavalier that I sold to my at the time 17 year old niece and now has 120+K even with 2 wrecks and a 8 mile drive home after one with a leak in the radiator and no fluid left when she got home and the heat of the engine was so hot that after 45 min. when I got there you still couldn't touch the engine and that was at 87K. For the most part I believe that any car/engine will last a few hundred K if it is taken care of.
    I wish they were all like that; unfortunately, (true for all makes) there will be bad apples in a bunch. My girlfriend's 2001 Saturn SC1 just bit the dust (needs a new transmission, and yes it was serviced ;)) at 90k miles. Now she's trying to get $1,800 for it.

She got an '07 Santa Fe GLS to replace it (just for the record). :shades:
    "Are you serious? It is the worst engines I have driven! Yes, the 6spd 4cyl was a bit better, but they certainly was not close to the feel of the 06 Accord 4cyl I had a year ago. Or close to the 08 Jetta SE engine. It could be a great engine, but the transmission, engine programming are completely off. Not to mention its loss of refinement and low smoothness".
    ----------------------

Jetta engines are just not refined, I think you are dreaming. I would give the edge to the Accord 4 banger over the Ecotec BUT, inside the car GM has done a great job of isolating the engine to the point where it's not noticeable.

Personally I prefer V6s though so I went with the 3.6L/6-speed Malibu.

:-)
    Why do you think you chose the V6? because the 4cyl was not up to snuff. You can get by without a V6 on a VW or Honda. However, I do plan to get the V6 if I get an Accord.

Honestly though, I think my car's engine is not truly up to its full potential. As I have had my car in the shop for weird shifting transmission. The rentals I have had, are so much more refined and powerful, they were both the same 2.4 engine G6.

The dealer cannot find anything wrong. But, I totally feel the difference, it shouldn't shift so noticeably and rough on one of the lower gears. My engine seems a little grumpy. I cannot figure it out. Its like I got cheated out of a good engine. I am not sure what to do, as the dealer is starting to think I am weird...lol. :cry:

It may seem like I am picky, but I lease, and its only 13mths into the lease, and 2yrs left, only 16,000miles. If my cars were running like the rentals I have had, then I would agree, that it is a good little engine. I always felt the engine ran a bit sluggish since new, the car never really ran like the rentals.

Well, I could just stick it out for 2yrs, or transfer the lease, get a second opinion. But, I am so tired of having my car at the shop.
    Why do you think you chose the V6? because the 4cyl was not up to snuff. You can get by without a V6 on a VW or Honda. However, I do plan to get the V6 if I get an Accord.

----------------

I think the Accord 4 engine is a snick smoother but it's still gutless. VWs are very unrefined, sorry you will never convince me otherwise. Go take a listen.

You are also getting a V6 because you know 4 cyl. mid-size sedans are no fun to drive. You can get by with anything but the Accord is no better than the Malibu on base engine fun. At least the Malibu gets better mileage with the 6-speed.
    4-bangers? No fun to drive?

Lighter weight over the front wheels = more agile handling; plus, better availability of a stick-shift. Those two things combined make driving much more fun.

Easier to merge with? Now, that's where the V6 becomes the winner, but as for me and my house, we will drive the 4-pot. :)
    Lighter weight over the front wheels = more agile handling; plus, better availability of a stick-shift. Those two things combined make driving much more fun.

-------------

No fun if it has no power. They are fine for compacts but in a mid-size loaded up, forget it!
    0-60 in the low 7s doesn't happen in cars with "no power." :)

And, loaded up, I'm typically not carving corners; I'm cruising down the highway. :shades:
    I miss my Accord 4cyl engine. It was refined and smooth, and quick. Not a race car, but it got the job done. There are many other cars that offer a much better, updated engine than the 4cyl GM engine. Read the reviews, it will show much more engine issues and observation. I wonder why several people at my dealership want out of their GM cars, all with 4cyl's? We happened to have the same salesmen, and both there asking him to get out. Both with similar observations.

Ironically enough, my salesmen, a GM fan, and leased a C-Class mercedes. He was the one who said that he wouldn't drive a foreign car. His mother also got a 09 Jetta. He loves them now! Night and day!

The Malibu is nice, its pretty, but its guts are really no different, or any real reason to get too excited. At this point, a company should atleast grasp the concept of a good 4cyl. GM doesn't have it. Even with 6spd.

This is my opinion only.
    I am not forcing this statement on anyone or being direct in my statement.
    I am also not saying anyone is wrong with their statement either. That is why there are so many cars. I like the Malibu, but would be forced to get the V6, and I don't want a V6.

To each their own. I will never be convinced of GM again. Sorry.
    "The Malibu is nice, its pretty, but its guts are really no different, or any real reason to get too excited. At this point, a company should at least grasp the concept of a good 4cyl. GM doesn't have it. Even with 6spd".

Have you even driven one?

Not convinced of GM 4 bangers - go take a look at the new 2.4L Direct Inject in the 2010 Equinox. 32 MPG hwy and 183 hp with better mileage than any crossover on the market.

Would not be surprised to see this mill in the Malibu next year.

That said, there are no normally aspired 4-banger mid-size sedans out there. The Accords are fine but don't try and tell me they are fun to drive unless you slip a 6 under the hood. Yes I have driven one.
    That said, there are no normally aspired 4-banger mid-size sedans out there.

Want to try that again, for the cheap seats in the back? I don't think that's what you meant.

The Accords are fine but don't try and tell me they are fun to drive unless you slip a 6 under the hood.

Actually, the most fun-to-drive Accords come ONLY in 4-cylinder models. They have a stick-shift. Also, the 4-cylinder models feel more lively and are better balanced thanks to less weight hanging over the front wheels.

Fast doesn't mean "fun to drive." Just look at the Camry V6! :shades:
This discussion has been closed.