Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'll agree with some of the substandard parts statements. Having owned both a 1991 K1500 and a 1997 Blazer, things were breaking before each vehicle had either 70,000 miles or before they were six years old.

Both vehicles had alternator failures as well as transmission issues. Every 6 months something was guaranteed to break, whether is was the cruise control, rear differential (costly), egr valve, maf sensor, and the list goes on. The K1500 cost me dearly out of pocket while the Blazer had an extended warranty, but I never got a loaner.

Needless to say, the Blazer and K1500 went and I bought an Accord and 4Runner. The Accord has had three window switches replaced in 11 years and the 4Runner in six years has had two repairs, one major, and all those repairs were under warranty. Not a single issue since the warranty expired. I won't consider GM at this time, even though I have a buncha GM Card dollars. Otoh, two of my brothers are sold on GM as their most dependable vehicle. One brother has a 2007 Malibu that been problem free, and he commutes 800 miles weekly to work and back.

Last but not least, no one year old cat converters should be failing. They're built the way they're engineered, so if they're failing then GM engineers are the cause. Rarely are failing parts not built to specs, and if they are, they're usually recalled.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    and the only reason G.M. had to file is because of what the banks/markets did to the credit and everything else in this country. They weren't the only ones in trouble. If you would have bother to read the papers or watch TV Toyota, Honda and most other auto companies lost many many billions too. And as I read it the government of Japan helped out some of their companies but being everyone seems to want to pick on G.M. it wasn't front page news. Only lately have the newspapers starting putting all the Toyota crap on the front page where it should have been for years. At least G.M. has never hid/lied to the American people on problems with their vehicles like Toyota has. How many top level execs got fired from Toyota a few years ago for the coverups of defects? Yes you may have had some problems with your G.M. vehicles but what makes you think their isn't problems with your [non-permissible content removed] vehicle. You don't know cause you can't depend on them being truthful with you.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Hey dude, I think you replied to the wrong post. I'm with you 100%
  • butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    A few points, the 04 Malibu did not have a power steering pump, they are electric assist steering, (unless you bought a "classic" style 'Bu). Also the Cat converter is warrantied till 8 years/80K per federal emissions law and is a free replacement for any brand of vehicle. Did you even do ANY maintenance on these cars or just put in gas and drove, you don't seem too mechanically inclined at all..
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    it was a classic for your information and your comment is unwarranted when you don't know the information; I keep all maintenance records and have all the tires and oil stuff done regularly on my cars and make sure the usual stuff at the 15k, 30k, etc mile intervals is all done

no matter how hard I maintained my vehicles and kept them clean (ie washed them like a religion) I still had to bring them in or have them towed to the dealerships when things went wrong (at 3 and 4 years old)

have done the same maintenance work done on my Japanese vehicles, two of which are almost 6 years old now and neither have had to be brought in to the dealership or BE TOWED into the dealership for any kind of work other than normal maintenance items

I need to say this because people like you and dmathews will make some point to say that I'm saying all Japanese cars don't have problems, and I'M NOT!!!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    and the only reason G.M. had to file is because of what the banks/markets did to the credit and everything else in this country

That was a factor, but poor product, overextended dealerships, overpaid employees, lack of management vision, etc.all increased the demand for cash flow making them more susceptible than some other firms.

At least G.M. has never hid/lied to the American people on problems with their vehicles like Toyota has

Hmm, I recall having an undisclosed Chevette tranny in a V8 Monte Carlo that was not disclosed until they got caught. Then there was the plastic manifolds on the 3.8L V6 that only got stepped up to after threats of litigation and exposed publicity. Don't kid yourself, companies from everywhere will try to hide potentially high cost problems if they can get away from it.
    thats not the reason GM had to file you fool; every car manufacture was hit hard and had terrible sales from the end of 2008 to the middle of 2009, even the Japanese automakers took huge hits in sales compared to years before the recession hit so using the credit market and economy for GM's bankruptcy and gov't bailout is just unture

you know why GM and Chrysler had to file for bankruptcy, its because of their lies and half-truths to the American people for almost 30 years saying they products were well made and reliable cars when in fact they were not (THIS IS PRE-2008) GM and Chrysler top level managment didn't want to listen to the American people and focused on making huge gas guzzling SUV's that no one wanted when gas hit over $4 gallon and they just sat on their lots; the Japanese companies started planning fuel efficient vehicles many years ago and decreased their SUV and minivan productions at the time gas hit record high numbers and they never suffered the sales loss that GM and Chrysler did

I never heard of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Mazda getting money from Japan when sales were tanked last year and in 2008 - you give me the link to the article that says that; I didn't here Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc whining like GM and Chrysler were for gov't money to keep them a float; and then to have their top execs each fly on their own personal jets while their companies were tanking to go to a meeting in DC to request tax-payer money was simply outrageous and just shows the disconnect between GM and Chrysler exec management and the American public- that kind of mentality is what got them into a bankruptcy situation not the economy- plus I don't know what cool-aid your drinking but Toyota beat GM for #1 in global sales for 2009 and 2008 so this idiotic idea that GM is selling more than Toyota still is a fantasy in your head!

I think there was a reason why the top five vehicles traded into the cash for clunkers program were GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles while the most bought cash for clunker vehicles were Toyota's and Honda's - if that doesn't show what the country as a majority is saying with the car they prefer I don't know what does

You can trash talk Toyota all you want to me and to everyone else about defects (which I admit was wrong for them to cover up), quality, problems, etc but there is a reason why the Camry has been the top leading mid-size sedan in the US for the last 10 years

Oh and I know there are not problems with my [non-permissible content removed] vehicles, as you put them, because I'm coming up on 6 years with two of them and have never had to bring them in or have them towed into the dealership for anything like I did on my GM vehicles at the 6 year mark; all I have to do is normal maintenance on them and I have peace of mind!
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Toyota received aid from the Japanese government in the spring of 2009. Honda and Toyota have both received billions in development money to build hybrids.

Anyone who thinks the Japanese do not help their auto industry have no clue.

Further... Toyota is no better than the big three with recalls. They hide them well and seem to get a free pass from the press because of their past quality but they are a for profit corporation just like any other. Nothing more.
    I never said they didn't do stupid things, I said they did not lie. You know, deny it when presented with the facts until things became so overwelming they had no choice. Does sludge bring up any memories?
    That's exactly my point you said GM never lied or hid things from the public and they most certainly did; listen I'm tired of this argument, your just as hypocritical in your remarks as you say I am so just forget about it, its not worth it; if your happy with your vehicle and I'm happy with mine that's all that matters

For the last freakin time, I never have nor do I currently own a Toyota; I've heard some Toyota people talk about the sludge and others say its not true if you use the right oil, I have no idea because I DON'T HAVE A TOYOTA!
    I never said they didn't do stupid things, I said they did not lie

I dunno - the dealer assured me I had the proper tranny. It wasn't until I received federal court documents telling me I had a Chevette tranny in a large V8 engine and was entitled to extended warranty coverage that I found out the truth. GM didn't notify me, nor the dealer. I'm not looking to pound GM, nor defend Toyota, but hiding something to me is the same as lying. I learned long ago not to totally trust any company, domestic or foreign. As for Toyota, I think they were dumb and totally mishandled this UA problem initially. If they had been more forthright they would have avoided a lot of the fallout, just like when GM put Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles and ended up having to issue customer checks after states attorneys got involved. That was 'lying" in my opinion, GM got caught and it cost them. They tried to pass off a different engine than advertised.
    Couldn't agree more with you, no matter what auto manufacture you deal with whether it is GM, Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc they all are out to make tons of money and screw over the customer at any opportunity

A great example of this, I used to buy many years ago an extended warranty which of course the salesman said would cover anything once the factory warranty ended after 3 or 4 years; extended warranties are nothing but another way for the auto manufacture to hose more money out of the customer that you won't get back when you do have problems; consistently, once I was out of factory warranty the dealerships always came back when something was wrong and said, "oh that isn't covered under the extended warranty because its normal wear and tear"

I had that excuse given to me time and time again by the service department and unless your a skilled mechanic, which most people are not, like myself, you have to take the dealership for their word and how do you know something wore out normally or if it failed prematurely - its all a bunch a BS the dealerships dish out to get more money out of you; suffice it to say I stopped buying extended warranties 20 years ago
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Could someone direct me to the real car comparison thread?
    I'd love to compare the 2010 Accord, Camry, and Malibu, here is my ranking for various categories: realize these are highly subjective, have seen enough on the road and sat and driven each one so can make a pretty educated guess to rankings

Exterior: Malibu > Camry > Accord
    Interior: Accord > Malibu > Camry
    Ride Quality: Camry > Malibu > Accord
    Seat Comfort: Camry > Malibu > Accord
    Resale Value: Accord > Camry > Malibu
    MPG: Malibu = Camry > Accord
    Technology Options: Accord > Camry > Malibu
    Turning Radius: Camry > Accord > Malibu
    Price: Camry > Malibu > Accord
    Trunk Room: Malibu > Camry > Accord
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    Re: Price - You will get it back on the Accord at resale time...no doubt.
    agreed, the price cat I gave really is just the total cost (msrp) on the window sticker and doesn't really mean anything, the residual value cat I put the accord at the top for that reason since Acura and Honda have won the last two years in a row highest resale value
    Re: Price - You will get it back on the Accord at resale time...no doubt

Gotta be careful here - if Honda and Toyota keep cutting back on quality some of that premium is going to start going away down the road. Also, you've got to look at net out of pocket sale price versus trade in down the road when you calculate depreciation. Publications can't really do that when they calculate it because everyone pays a different price, so they have to use sticker. Incidently, just got an email from my dealer telling me Honda will double incentives for current Honda owners through the end of the month.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Gotta be careful here - if Honda and Toyota keep cutting back on quality some of that premium is going to start going away down the road.

I don't see any cut back in quality. My 03 Accord has been just as good (better in many ways) as my 92 Accord was. I got $5,000 for the 12 year old 92, with 140k miles on it (private party). I see the 03 holding it's value just as well.

Incidently, just got an email from my dealer telling me Honda will double incentives for current Honda owners through the end of the month.

If you can get one for less than MSRP, that also helps the resale value. A win+win.
    If you can get one for less than MSRP, that also helps the resale value. A win+win.
    Only if you were lucky enough to buy yours with the big rebates. Those that didn't take a big hit when they sell it as incentives and cheap fleet sales are what kills the resale of a car, something G.M. has finally found out and has cut way back on.
    The Accord has lower fleet sales than just about any other midsize car. They always loose the sales title to Camry, but I think Toyota sells just enough to fleets, to stay ahead. Most Accord buyers are repeat buyers, and that says a lot about how satisfied the owners are.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Gotta be careful here - if Honda and Toyota keep cutting back on quality some of that premium is going to start going away down the road.
    I predict Toyota takes a major image hit with their annoucement of stopping sales and production of half their product line until they solve the "sticking gas pedal" issue......

This is a major step by an auto manufacturer to STOP both production and sales until a problem is solved........believe there is a major issue either with a component or engineering design problem which is safety related.......so much for quality control! This problem has been around for more than a year now....and they still havent found a solution to it....
    As they should. They were selling cars for 5 DAYS after the recall, which is against the law. I wonder if someone purchased a car in those 5 days if they have a right to bring the car back for a full refund?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/report-toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-se- lling-recalled-mod/
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    It gets worse:

"On a related note, Toyota dealers are also reportedly getting instructions from the Mother Ship on how to answer questions related to the recall. AN editor James B. Treece reports that when asked if any accidents have been reported, dealers are encouraged to respond, "The number of accidents is still under investigation" without further confirmation. As Treece notes, the spin continues, as just a simple yes or no would suffice."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Once a lier always a lier.
    Honnestly, dealers are going to try and stay out of it as much as possible and avoid getting sucked into litigation. I think their main concern right now is whether they can get some flooring cost relief from Toyota while this thing plays out.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    you can continue to sale a model during a recall as long as their is a "Fix" that can be applied to remedy the issue for cars on the lot.....what hasnt been announced in a general terms is that Toyota has NO FIX at the moment to this issue....thus they were obligated not to continue sales.....which compounded the production issue.....why build when you dont have a solution.....again....its either an engineering design problem....or a ECM issue controlling the throttle.....either way.....a major PR problem for Toyota....
    I just went past my local Toyota dealer this morning and saw salesman outside showing people a 2010 Camry and a Corolla; r they suppose to be doing this? I thought since there is no fix at this time they can't be showing the vehicles to anyone since those models are affected?
    showing and buying are to different things.
    ".....r they suppose to be doing this?"

It could be that this is a Denso equipped car, and not a CTS equipped one.
    I only commented because the guy with the 08 malibu having problems with the catalytic converter just brought back many memories to me of the stuff I went through for over 20 years with the GM cars I had; you might be one of the lucky ones that has a malibu that has had no problems, consider yourself lucky and enjoy your car!

--------------

1. I don't think I am "lucky", the Malibu is widely regarded as a well made car.
    2. One doesn't have to read the paper long to realize Japanese (Toyota) quality is a myth.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Nowadays I think quality is almost a crap-shoot. Sure, there are outliers that are still new on the market (the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon come to mind as poor-quality/unreliable vehicles in comparison to average), but most are going to be good, not great anymore. Toyota and Honda in the past stood out as particularly high-quality vehicles, and I don't believe that was a myth at all. My '96 Accord reminds me of that truth for 70 miles daily.
    1) Japanese quality is not a myth; that is just a lie GM loyalist, like yourself, come up with to try and hide behind the fact that GM was in the crapper and built poorly made cars for years up until just recently

2) Plus, the Malibu was not widely regarded as a well made car until the 2008 model year - its still relatively new so its got a few more years till we see if its long term reliability lasts - thats why I like Motortrend's long-term update section

you guys seem to be obsessed with Toyota because in everyone of your posts you either mention them or attack them profusely - take a chill pill guys, its only a car company
    Everybody seems to want to pile on Toyota, but I think Toyota will be fine. I'd be willing to bet the Camry still outsells every other midsize sedan this year. No car is perfect, and EVERY car company has recalls.
    >EVERY car company has recalls.

Hmmmm.
    How many recalls did Toyota have within the last 12 months corporate wide?
    How many recalls did GM have within the last 12 months corporate wide?
    Etc., Ford.
    Nissan?
    Honda?

I haven't looked it up. I only know my own situation. My Honda had 1 recall. My Chevy truck has so many recalls, it would probably take the dealership a week to fix them all (at least 10). I can understand a recall for computer/technical related stuff, but recalls for simple stuff like seat belt material or seats that fail on impact are things that are easily prevented, by not using sub-standard materials and shoddy craftsmanship..
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    2004 thru 2009 ( in ,000 of units )

GM............ 10,500 .. 4,998 .. 1,370 .... 547 .. 1,749 .. 2,239
    Ford.............5,800 .. 6,715 ...1,739 .. 5,534 .. 1,605 .. 4,522
    Chrysler....... 5,800 .... 836 ... 1,874 .. 2,060 .... 337 ..... 590
    Toyota......... 1,100 .. 2,374 ..... 657 ..... 638 ...1,039 ...4,912

source: NHTSA database

Make your own judgement. Until last year the leader in recalls was normally either GM or Ford.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Also Camry's and Corolla's made in Japan, with a VIN beginning JT..., are not included in the recall and can be sold normally.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    My 08 GM car had more go wrong within 1yr of leasing than my 06 Accord did its whole lease.

Just because the Malibu has a new pretty face, doesn't mean it'll be any better in terms of longevity than the previous model. GM just seems to cover everything up with a new pretty face.
    >Recalls going back 6 yrs

Things have changed. I asked about 1 year recalls? Who's the leader? :)

For toyota, the total recall of cars now stands at 9.5 million, 4.1 million for gas pedal problem and 5.4 million for floor mat problems. The number of cars recalled is more than what the company has sold last year (7.8 million vehicles were sold world-wide last year)

Things have changed

That's what they keep saying, but then, they've been saying that a lot longer than 6 years. My father's 99 Malibu was supposed to be up with the competition too. NOT even close. Didn't fall for it then, and I'm not falling for it now.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    According to GM their commercial specifically states "we've been doing right since day 1". This is straight from the company themselves. And that was on a brand that is now "DEAD". Hmmm... Really? Let's still add more cars to the line up to blur that issue.

Perhaps Toyota, will just forget about the Camry and just make a new car? GM does it all the time. FAIL! :lemon:
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    EVERY car company has recalls.

Yes, but not EVERY car company has recalls and is then forced to stop selling their cars which is the case with Toyota.
    Yes, but not EVERY car company has recalls and is then forced to stop selling their cars which is the case with Toyota.

I'm sure GM has had such a recall before, if not more than one.
    You have to remember that day one for this company was what July of this year. So they are speaking the truth.
    Japanese quality is not a myth, the myth is that their cars are substantially better than GM or Ford. The other myth is your point that all Japanese cars are the same, just nonsense.

GM has been getting progressively better for years and the assertion that all their cars were "crap" up until recently is also nonsense.

People are not "obsessed" with Toyota, but those that haven't drunk the kool-aid are tired of hearing about how wonderful Toyota is and now that they have been shown to be hiding problems why wouldn't people talk about. 19 people are dead, it's a safety issue not a faulty switch.
    Listening to Ed Cole (past CEO of American Motors and a Toyota dealer) on Detroit radio this morning say that there is little difference in the reliability of the majority of cars now compared to 15 years ago. There are a few that are at the bottom.

If Toyota gets their reality check in gear and stop treating Americans as dumb fish to be scaled of their dollars, they can recover.

I would like to read more about comparing the cars than hasseling each other over the past of the cars or their peers or the current problems of one company. There are other topics here where that's being fought out by defenders of toyota's purity.

• gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Who cares if Toyota has a gas pedal recall. A few hundred or a few thousand Toyotas being affected by the gas pedal problem out of 9.5 million vehicles is not bad. I don't see anything wrong with that. I am not worried about Toyota. The Camry will continue to do well and will continue to outsell the competition.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....if you're done comparing Malibu, Camry, and Honda, I guess there's no reason to keep this one open. OR, you can go over to Auto News and continue.
This discussion has been closed.