Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

1101112131416»

Comments

• investigativeinvestigative Member Posts: 1
    Just reading a few of the more recent comments. Didn't see much discussion on advertised MPG as a component of judging the car. If you are considering Malibu, I advise an extended test drive (weekend) to really test the new highly rated mileage that is JUST better than Toyota. I just purchased a 2010 Malibu LTZ with the 2.4L that is rated 22city/33hwy. I chose the engine for the touted mileage. I have about 2500 miles on it, and it is only averaging 22.6 MPG. I have driven the same routes for the last 9 years, and all of my vehicles generate mileage ratings ABOVE the average of the two figures. My last car, a high HP V6 Maxima, averaged 24.1 MPG even though it was only rated 20/28. All I am saying is test out those figures before buying. Something certainly seems amiss with the actual mileage vs the advertised mileage.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I'm not saying your Malibu shouldn't be getting better mileage (it should and I would bring it in to have it checked) but may I ask where you live. Cold weather can make a huge difference.

If you averaged 24 in your V6 Maxima, that's pretty amazing.
  • jray4jray4 Member Posts: 18
    I've bought many cars in my days and most were General Motors. Although they made crappy cars not too many years back, I've had good luck with them. In 2004 I bought a Toyota to find out what the hype was all about. Well, that Toyota Camry I bought was one of the worst car I ever owned. That car was always hard starting, with a noisy transmission, bad wheel bearings, a horn smaller than a motorcycle with the sound to go with it. To me the car was a piece of crap.

The God like status Toyota has enjoyed is a joke. That status came about by Consumer Reports who is now having a problem holding on to that status because the cat is out of the bag.

I will never buy another Toyota!!
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Yeah, that is why the entire Ford line-up is on the CR recommended list for the last few years, because they have such a bias against the American companies and love Toyota and the foreign ones better ;) give me a break :mad:

Once Ford made quality products, which they finally have in the last few years, there status and recommendation by CR rose accordingly, as it should; GM on the other hand is years behind Ford with some models recommended while others are still on the crap heap!

Your the first person I've heard have so much trouble with a Camry product; I have numerous family and friends who have had multiple Toyota products with absolutely little to no problems, except once they got up to the 9 or 10 year mark when things started to go and had to be replaced!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    He isn't the first person who has had problems with Toyota. I suggest you take your mouse and click on the Toyota Camry sites here and you will find there are one or two others with problems. OK, maybe hundreds. :P
    If you read carefully what I wrote, I did not say he was the first person I ever heard have a problem with a Toyota product, but had a running list of so many multiple ones over a short period of time.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >If you read carefully what I wrote, I did not say he was the first person I ever heard have a problem with a Toyota product,

That's not true. Actually you did say he was the first person you've heard have so much trouble with a Camry product. :sick:

"Your (sic) the first person I've heard have so much trouble with a Camry product:"

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited June 2010
    good try twisting my words though!

I think you just referred nicely to what I said!

so much = so many (multiple) problems! and he did have a list of things wrong with his Camry! I was referring to how many problems he had!
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    OK, I'm on the hunt for a new car, will be leasing, and it needs to be affordable, so I'm looking at the basic models. I test drove a '10 Accord LX-P vs. '11 Camry LE. I drove the Accord first, and son of a gun I smashed my knee on the upper dashboard getting in. That was yesterday, and it's still swollen today. I realized that the Accord sits lower, but the opening space getting in is tighter. That alone, might discount me from getting this car. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it gets better from ownership. I also don't like the only 3 star rating on side impact protection for back seat riders. I have 3 kids, I want them as protected as me. It drove nice though, at times I wished the transmission would pick a lower gear and shift faster. I have a lot of hills where I live, but top speed in my community is 45mph, so I don't need a fast car, just responsive.

Next I drove the Camry, and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it drove a little better, engine seemed more responsive, maybe due to the 6 speed transmission. It is very isolated and quiet which I like, especially compared to my somewhat loud '06 Subaru Impreza. I preferred the interior of the Camry to the Accord as well. ANd you do sit a bit higher, I think for regular every day driving that is preferred. I don't care about lap times, I won't be competing in F1 with this car.

I have driven a 2010 Malibu LTZ as a rental car, and thought it was pretty good. Spent 4 hours in it late at night beating a bad snow storm home. It has a different feel from the Camry as well, but a solid car. Haven't driven one recently though, and I have no idea if lease deals are abundant.

But between Camry and Accord, I'm leaning Camry right now which surprised me a little. I have a Honda minivan (had a Sienna too) and preferred that to the Sienna, though both good. I have to replace the Odyssey next year with somehting new.

Long winded post is long.
    Driving a rental Malibu during a harsh time trying to beat a snow storm and you thought it was pretty good, I'd suggest at least driving a brand new one at your local dealer without the pressure of trying to beat a storm late at night. To me, you tested a rental (which sometimes they get beat to death by people who don't care as they are just renting it) and liked it, that was the best test you could give a car.
    True, I probably should. I do recall the Malibu sitting lower, like the Accord. Not as much of fan of that. The other part I didn't mention, while I got home safely, the day following the storm when I went to return it, I found it got stuck pretty easily - again I think because it's a bit lower to the ground. Not a deal breaker though. I find the C pillar a bit of a blind spot. Not sure how the Malibu leases out though. Tough to beat Camry/Accord with high residual value. I think that still hurts Chevrolet to some degree.
    edited June 2010
    Can't comment on the Honda but it used to be that the Camry sold used for a lot higher than a Chevy but there were other things that most people didn't figure into that factor. One, for the most part you could buy a Chevy at or near invoice where as befoe Toyota was caught with all the shoddy cars they used to sell for a whole lot more than a same model Chevy. Say Camry and Malibu could be a couple thou difference on a loaded car. Figure that 2K left in the bank for a few years and I bet the difference at the point of sale a few years down the road were close or in some cases I wouldn't be surprised if the Chevy ended up worth more. How things will equal out in say 3 or 4 years on the current Toyota products is still to be seen but it has been posted in the media that the value of used Toyota's has dropped quite a bit and I for one like many others are NOT convinced that Toyota has fixed everything. Only reason they aren't still on the front pages is the oil spill has become number 1. Even the new G.M. is still out selling Toyota here and that is with all the dropping of their other brands like Pontiac, Hummer.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I know car pricing is somewhat local, but I've never seen a comparably equipped Malibu advertised for $2K under a Camry. The Malibu promo model is usually a less equipped basic LS model. I don't think Camry resale is tanking as much as you may think. Used Camry's seem to still be moving fairly quickly off the dealer lots. Remember, you can drive a well equipped, brand new Camry LE off the lot for under $20K. A relative who drives around a lot for his job got a new Malibu last year to replace his Camry. He likes them both and says the Malibu has better seats, but he thought the Camry road a bit nicer, so it was kind of a trade-off.

He might also look at Fusion and Altima, but if he prefers Camry over Accord, they may not be what he likes better.
    The Altima should be on my list too. I would include the Subaru Legacy as well, but none to drive at the local dealer - not sure I like it's styling either, and the gas mileage suffers some, but the awd is nice where I live.

As far as the Malibu goes, I'm interested in the LT1 model, to get the better transmission. I'll see what the local dealer has, but they are definitely harder to find around here where I live. The back seat is not as generous either, which may be an issue as my 3 kids get bigger, but probably not a deal breaker. My budget is really tight for this car (I have to replace the Odyssey in April too) so unfortunately I have to compare apples to apples, and look for a low monthly payment. The Camry is being offered at $179/mo with $1599 down, plus tax. I can probably get it lower than that too, and I may have some equity when I return my Subaru (4 year lease, 48k miles/year, I only have 32k on it). If I can get a Malibu for a similar rate, I'd be interested, if not I pass.

The Altima is offering $199/mo not sure what the fine print says yet, haven't driven one yet to compare. Mayb this Friday. I'm not sure why I haven't looked at the Fusion, lease deals on it don't seem very good, but I've heard it's a good car, never quite liked the styling, but that's subjective.

I still have some test driving to do, but bottom line for $ dictates a lot here.
    All Malibus get the 6-speed next year (2011 model), even the base LS.

Just FYI
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited July 2010
    1. Ford F-Series: 46,502
    2. Chevrolet Silverado: 30,994
    3. Toyota Camry: 28,435
    4. Honda Accord: 26,792 (includes 1,848 Accord Crosstours)
    5. Honda Civic: 26,474 (includes hybrid)
    6. Toyota Corolla: 21,876
    7. Chevrolet Malibu: 20,720
    8. Ford Fusion: 18,412
    9. Hyundai Sonata: 17,771
    10. Honda CR-V: 16,041

I was expecting to see better numbers for the Malibu becuase I see a lot more of them on Boston roads and parking lots. Cars.com says the Malibu's interior is aging rapidly (too much hard plastics) and is being left behind by competitors. Also, the Malibu's price base MSRP has gone from $19,995 to $22,000 making it a relatively pricey model in this segment.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    The issue with a few GM cars is that they put on the pretty facade, but it gets old fairly quick. They sometimes overdo it. The Malibu is a classy looking car, but for me its no different inside and out than a previous model. Just a new pretty face. Some of the new model GM's have a new look, but when you take them all apart, are they truly new? I would say more than likely not.

I do think if you park a new 2011 Sonata next to a Malibu, the Malibu is going to look slightly dated. I think comparing them all the Malibu is going to look a little overdone.

Sounds like I am disliking the Malibu, but now that it is mentioned that the Malibu has aged already, I would agree. But, then again, I think the Accord and Camry has aged a bit too when compared to other sedans. But, I would pick another car before moving back to a GM product. Too much risk involved, not willing to support GM's money problems. But, thats just me. :)
    GM's money problems? I hate to tell you they have plenty of money, and a good share of it is yours. How do you expect them to pay you back if everyone has that attitude. At least we are keeping the profits here in the U.S. instead of supporting everyone else but us.
    Honda has even cut a few features off the their list too. This is their way of saving a bit of cash. Like a light in the glove box, or a LED overhead light, or a engine cover over the 4cyl engine. Apparently, they don't offer these on the recent year model Accords.

So it seems all company's have their share of cost cutting.
    Either you have to raise the price of the car which is a no no in this economy or you have to cut something. It is always better to cut something invisible so to speak as to say cheapen the radio or make power something optional for example.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    ".....Also, the Malibu's price base MSRP has gone from $19,995 to $22,000 making it a relatively pricey model in this segment. "

Yeah, but if you look at what people are actually paying for the base model, it actually comes out a little cheaper. My wife's cousin picked up a base LS for $16,995. That left her enough extra cash to have them install aftermarket heated leather seats for $1500. I think that the aftermarket leather is actually quite nice, too.
    If the Malibu has "aged" the Accord and Camry must be ancient.

I still find the interior of my Malibu LT looks fantastic compared to most cars and people riding with me always mention their surprise as to how nice it is.

I think some people are just searching for something to pick on. Malibu is a great car, I don't regret my purchase ever.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    I own a 2007 V6 Toyota Camry with 58,000+ miles, and a 2010 Malibu 4cyl. LTZ. ----- The Malibu drives like my old 2003 - 4 cylinder Honda Accord, that I had prior to the 2007 Camry. It is so much like the Accord, that I think GM reversed engineered the Malibu from the Accord. ------ I like both vehicles, and I would make the same purchase again. The Camry is VERY powerful. When you accelerate hard, it will pin you to the driver's seat! ------ Both vehicles are very comfortable. I am very lucky, because I have two outstanding dealers in terms of service. The Malibu is now approaching 5,000 miles, and it will be going in for it's second oil & filter change at the selling dealer. ----- I purchased "pre-paid service every 5,000 miles to 60,000 miles when I purchased the vehicle." This service includes a tire rotation. I took this action because I wanted all my service records in one place should I have a warranty or an extended warranty issue in the future.

Best regards. ----------------- Dwyane :shades: :)
  • serenity185serenity185 Member Posts: 22
    Wow, the Accord and Camry are running neck-to-neck this year- the Accord is still the best-selling car YTD, right? Hopefully it'll stay that way- not that I dislike the Camry- but I think it's about time another car outsold it for a change.

Regarding the Malibu- I've never driven one, but I rode in a few with the new design before and found them to be comfortable and pretty quiet. I think the interior still looks good, and while I think the exterior styling is handsome (except for the rear), I think Chevy is very wise to be redesigning it soon. They'd do well to make the cabin larger and give the exterior a little more pizazz to stand out in the crowd.
    edited September 2010
    New Malibu is suppose to get a wider cabin and will be very slightly shorter. Also the trunk opening issue is suppose to be addressed.

I have heard rumors that a V6 option may be dropped as government rules on fuel economy tighten. I wonder if we will see the same from Toyota and Honda.
    If they choose to drop the V6, then that would be a bad idea. GM struggles to produce a good 4cyl engine. Apparently, because most always choose the V6 in a GM product. Honda and Toyota have been putting 4's in their models as pretty much standard for years. Their 4's are pretty strong and efficient. GM's 4 seem a bit weak.

I don't see Honda or Toyota dropping their V6's. Though, I do see them making less V6's. Seems to be the trend, the new Sonata comes standard with the 4.

If GM pursues this, then they will need to revamp their 4's. I have one now, and trust me, its not too much fun.
  • Jim1947Jim1947 Member Posts: 6
    You know, I have learned the hard way, to many times, while hoping for good things with the malibu, I am going to wait untill its out 2 to 3 ears before I buy one. I have been burned to many times before by GM
  • imscfimscf Member Posts: 34
    It's much more expensive to lease a Malibu than a Camry or an Accord, due to its much lower residuals
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Um, the Malibu in it's current for came out 3 years ago.

Guess it's time to buy????
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2010
    Anyone bit on this?
  • abduulabduul Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Hi everyone. I have been confronted from being a big fan of Toyota because of the following information that contains first hand experience and lacks bad judgment.
    I used to be a big fan of Toyota cars but now I am just a fan. i used to hear that In Africa the most driven cars are Toyota ones.
    In 2008 I bought a Toyota car. I loved it because the only things it needed were oil change, gas, and car wash. At that time I was still a big fan of Toyota.
    I have many relatives here in San Diego. Each one has a car. My aunt has a Toyota one, my uncle Ford, and my cousin a Honda accord.. Sometimes i drive their cars to get their car's oil changed. The two cars I want to compare here are Honda and Toyota.
    Let me make along story short. The Honda accord that my cousin drives has over 140000 miles. If it needs maintenance it would be a cheap one. If u drive this car right now, u will want to buy it for some price. But a Camry car that one of my relatives drives spent nearly 700 dollars for a small problem. When ever I drive her car I always wish not to buy a car like her car.
    Now I own a 2005 Honda accord. It has 121000 miles on it. I have been using it for more than a year now. I drive over 50 miles a day and occasionally I go to Los Angles. The only things i been doing and do are change my oil every 3500 miles, changed my transmission oil every year, and make sure my air filter is clean.
    I love driving this car because it is fun to drive, makes u feel so comfortable, fuel efficient, beautiful outside and inside, and makes me feel like I am a celebrity. If u ask me wat my next car would be I will tell u without thinking that it should be a Honda accord 2006 or later.
    every car runs smooth when it is new but if you want to know the best car out there u need to look at a car that has more than 115 000 miles on it. If it is still runs smooth and cheap to maintain, like the two Honda accord i know, then that is a car u want to buy.
    my choice is and always will be a Honda Accord.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi Vanman1:

"GM's 2.4L is a nice little engine, definitely one of the best 4 bangers around!" ------- (Compared to what vehicle???????)

Kindly be advised that I own a 2010 four cylinder Chevrolet LTZ Malibu and a 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry. ---- I have also owned a 2003 four cylinder Honda Accord!

The Malibu four cylinder engine does not come close in terms of performance and MPG as a Honda engine! ---- The truth is that GM is not capable of building a "high quality four cylinder engine!" ------ The GM engine lacks "passing power at 60 mph", and it does not get the advertised fuel mileage. ---- (This translates into the engine being a fraud!) ---- I have 8000+ miles mileage on my new four cylinder Malibu, and I am VERY UNHAPPY with the fuel mileage numbers, and the quality of the original equipment tires! ------- (My Honda & Camry came with mileage friendly Michelin tires.) ---- The fit and finish of the vehicle is GREAT, but the performance is not up to a Honda, Toyota of a Hyundai four cylinder vehicle. ---- GM did not do their homework on this vehicle! ----- They have the basis of a GREAT vehicle, but they did not finish the job! ------ Wake Up GM! ----- The foreign name plates are building better engines! ----- Why?

Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    There is so many variables with any used cars Toyotas, Hondas, or anything else. Was it wrecked, how old is it, how many miles, what accidents, how well was it maintained, etc... BTW If you feel like a celebrity driving 2005 Honda accord with 121000 miles, there is definitely something wrong with your understanding what real celebrities drive.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Has anyone who bought a Malibu tested the Altima? My 25,000 miles 09 Cobalt coupe looks nice but is full of rattles. I don't know that I want to have the same problem with a new Malibu.
This discussion has been closed.