Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Real World MPG

124»

Comments

• rrovernutrrovernut Member Posts: 15
    Maybe Gm have made some improvements over the 2011 models , there is no way I can acheive what you are getting
  • kelsan1kelsan1 Member Posts: 34
    I have posted here before on mileage results while driving an 11 Equinox and 11 Terrain with the same equipment levels but different tire sizes. Both are FWD with 4 cyl engines so my comparisons have some validity.

To wit, I am getting low to mid 20's on either car while doing city driving primarily including stop and go as well as freeway in the metro area, on occasions I use the eco mode but not often. My DIC always seems to indicate about 1/2 mpg more that physical methods of fill up and divide into miles driven but under prolonged freeway driving at 65mph at 1900 rpm, my mileage on both cars goes from 28 to 31 average per tank. The Terrain has had the actuator replacement and ECM module reflash and the Nox has had nothing done. My post is that I cannot entirely blame GM for the EPA ratings maybe just how they presented them to the public but In 40 years of car buying from pick ups to vans to 4 WD's. My point simply is this, if you think you can get the 32 mpg driving less than conservatively, you might be disapointed, if you expectt 32 MPG @ 70/75 MPH, then you are in for a rude awakening. IMHO.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    'if you expectt 32 MPG 70/75 MPH, then you are in for a rude awakening. IMHO. '

I would agree. I have gotten 26.5 MPG on our 6Cyl AWD Terrain (rated at 22MPG HWY) on a couple trips (one about 500 miles and another 1100 miles over a few days). They were mostly flat road and warm temps (but cool enough to leave A/C off) and set the cruise at 57MPH . Many don't like to drive that slow but it does help. Tach is about 1450 at that speed and I also try to match the tach number on slow speed limit roads when I can.

Might be interesting to have someone with the 4cyl FWD take a little road trip of 20 miles or so and try that MPH with cruise and reset of average MPG and see on it does .
    your comments are interesting , but I would to say Gm advertised the equinox & terrain FWD as obtaining 46 mpg ( this is in Canada ) our gals are 1\3 bigger than your us gals or 6,2 litres per 100 kms, the AWD version is rated as getting 6.9 liters per 100 kms or 41 mpg , of course this is under ideal conditions , ie weather no a/c and driving conservatively , which my wife & I always do . the speed limit here is 100 kms /hr which we do not exceed , when we overtake it is done with out downshifting ( it is possible) on various fuel tests runs we have not been able to come close to GM claims , I have installed a chip to try and improve economy and pahaps got 2 extra mpg in cold weather , so am going to do another accurate test when it warms up some . Ido not expect the mileage they claim driving like Sterling moss or 70/75 which we never do ,but would like to come close to the rating Gm claims , they should have presented to the customer you may get what we advertise ,but in reality you will get much less.
    As an update to my last post we just returned from a round trip run to Key West, FL and back to Cocoa Beach and return home to metro Atlanta.

Total miles driven by DIC was 1897 with speeds going from 65 mph/min to 75 mph + max with air on and off DIC mpg average was from a low of 26.5 to a high of 30.2. I have not calculated the fuel cost of the trip yet feel that the Terrain was with in 1/2 miles mpg of the DIC.

Hope this helps all who have had negative expierences with the Nox or Terrain but with the actuator rework and reflash of the ECM, I feel the car lived up to its claims and we just topped 20,500 miles on this trip. :D
  • impala0169impala0169 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2012 4cyl FWD and about 1300 miles only on it. The 3 highway trips of 60 miles each way I averaged 28.5. On 1 occasion I drove at 55 for about15 miles and it was alittle more than 29 mpg.It might have been more if I drove longer.When I drive to work its about 7 miles one way with 7 stop lights(which are hit and miss) and the speed limit is 25 for 2 miles and 35 for 2 miles and 55 for 3 miles.There I have 24.5.We are going on a trip this summer and will report back on mpg.
    When I looked at the window sticker last week I got a chuckle. Hwy mpg said something like 26-38. I thought 38 must be going down a mountain only. I have never hit 30 mpg yet. Maybe with a 40mph wind behind me might help.

I think the consumer ought to take GM to court on fraud.I would put the hwy mpg at 26-30 at best.If you ever get over that I would buy a lotto ticket.
    I expect you will see improvements in MPG after you get to 3000 miles or so. Also if your in the 55-60 MPH range it should do pretty well.
  • marcia54marcia54 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 FWD 4 cyl Equinox LT and am only getting 22.4 mpg mixed city & highway. On a long trip, I'm lucky to get 24.5 mpg. The only response I get from the dealer and GM customer service is "The car needs to break in". I have 14,000 miles on it now and still getting the same lousy mileage. I had a 2010 FWD 4cyl Equinox LT that got great gas mileage - 27 mixed city & highway and 31 on trips. Had to trade it out due to a faulty computer. I just can't believe that GM made that many changes in 1 model year that the mpg would change that much. I certainly haven't changed my driving habits so it has to be something they did in their model change. I'm very disappoointed in GM and feel that they have mislead the public when they say the Equinox gets great gas mileage and 600 miles between fillups. I get mad every time I see that commercial. I have driven GM products for over 35 years but I doubt that I will ever buy another GM product unless the company can come up with a solution to the mpg problem.
  • jan21816jan21816 Member Posts: 9
    We just passed 10k miles on our 11 4WD Nox. We do live in a hilly area and we do little highway driving. I am the slowest turtle coming away when the light changes and I coast whenever possible.

However, day to day I cannot get the gas to 20 mpg, let alone 22, 24.5, etc. Even at 60 mph on a flat highway across a lake, it tops out at instantaneous readout of about 24.5.

I've had the reflash etc. done (but that was mostly cos the car kept stalling in mid-road), and it hasn't helped worth a damn.

I come here to read with wonder the tales of people getting 30 or so on long trips. But frankly, it really rankles when other people come on here saying that owners like me just have unrealistic expectations.

A car that is advertised as the Nox was should not be getting an average of about 19.

Then again, I have to ask myself just why am I complaining? It got 17 when I first bought it. Thank goodness it's broken in now! (sarcasm alert)
    If your vehicle is still under the total warranty period, I would take it into a good dealer and have them check out your engine electronics and drive train. There should be no reason that these cars cannot acheive the 25MPG combined estimates that are advertised. I have hit 30/32 mpg on the driver info center average on long trips at moderate speeds with the econ on but never consistently and my GMC now has 23000 miles and Equinox has 18000 miles, mid 20's are realistic and probably the best you can expect under average driving conditions. Good luck.
    Thanks for that information. My car is still under warranty so I will take it to the dealer and have them check out the electronics and drivetrain. I would love to reach 31 mpg on long trips again.
    I understand how you feel , our equinox awd only acheived 32 mpg ( cdn gals are 1/3 bigger than us ) GM advertised getting 41 , like hell !!! instaneous readout useless ,fluctuates wildly , anyway installed a performance chip ( possible gains up to + 6 mpg ) and last long run got 37+ still short but an improvement . We drive very economicaly and find that GM simply lied . and sevice reps only concerned with GM relations not the customer, theres not many satisfied owners & lots like us who drive carefully to obtain good mileage and fail to do so.
    PS we have 20000k on our 2011
  • teddy21teddy21 Member Posts: 11
    The EPA has a test for gas milage. Its really a flawed way of telling what a car should get on highway or city. Till this changes you will never get what you want . But I agee with you, till car makers adjust to real world gas mpg , you will have unhappy customers
    TED
  • ohc6sprintohc6sprint Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2012
    First report on this 2 month old vehicle with 3,000 miles. Not a day goes by without me, or my wife saying that we love this car.

I have been watching forum posts on this vehicle for over 3 years and at times wondered if I would be happy with the fuel economy, which was a primary reason for choosing the 4 cyl, non all wheel drive version. I live in Western Pennsylvania which is very hilly, but not mountainous. The 4 cyl has been more than adequate on performance in my opinion. The 6 speed gearing takes care of any steep hills.

I have had my Nox for 2 months now and have had 7 fill ups:

Tank 1, 25.6 mpg DIC, 25.1 actual, avg speed 32.5 mph (city & hwy)
    Tank 2, 24.0 mpg DIC, 22.2 actual, avg speed 27.5 mph (city & hwy)
    Tank 3, 26.1 mpg DIC, 25.2 actual, avg speed 31.6 mph (city & hwy)
    Tank 4, 25.4 mpg DIC, 24.2 actual, avg speed 32.0 mph (city & hwy)
    Tank 5, 24.2 mpg DIC, 23.4 actual, avg speed 28.5 mph (city & hwy)
    Tank 6, 25.3 mpg DIC, 23.4 actual, avg speed 29.9 mph (city & hwy)
    Tank 7, 31.3 mpg DIC, 32.7 actual, avg speed 51.7 mph (trip)

What this shows is that my combined mileage for city & hwy (tanks 1 thru 6) is 25.1 mpg DIC and 23.9 mpg calculated, or 5% less than what the DIC states. My average speed was 30.3 mph, which shows that there is good bit of highway driving mixed in with the city driving. Too difficult to keep track of the exact percentage of each.

My last fill up was after a 354 mile trip from Pittsburgh to Ohio, in which I got 29.3 mpg (DIC) going out and improved to 31.3 (DIC) coming back without resetting. That meant that I actually did better than 31.3 on the trip back as it pulled up the 29.3 average to 31.3.

Going out, there were 4 people in the Nox, no AC, traveling 60-70 mph, on interstate (70%) roads and slower on 2 lane (30%) roads with an occasional town, a few stop lights, and some 35 mph zones.

Coming back, with 4 people, I did more interstate (80%) driving, used the AC, but kept my speed at 55-60 mph. I watched as my trip average continued to climb to 31.3, knowing that I was getting higher if it was continuing to climb. My big surprise was when I filled up and instead of a 5% DIC overstatement error, it calculated out to 32.7 mpg and a 4.5% understatement on the DIC. I did the calculation at the pump and was so surprised that I went back and tried to put more gas into the tank, thinking that it was not full. The nozzle clicked off each time I squeezed it, telling me "hey the tank is full." I did manage to put .5 gallons more into the tank, but it was over full and topped off more than any of my previous fill ups. I will have to see if the DIC understates on my next trip. I wonder if it is due to some software formula used by the DIC. Anyone out there (those of you who check DIC error) have a similar experience where the error flips from 5% overestimated to 4% underestimated on a trip?

So, I averaged over 32 mpg with the AC on and with a full load people. The elevation of both ends of the trip were very close, so there wasn’t an overall elevation factor involved. There was no noticeable wind in either direction that would account for a meaningful impact on economy. The major difference was that I drove 10 mph slower on the interstate on the return trip. My tire pressure was 38 to 39 psi, temperature was 50 degrees going out and 75 returning. I also checked my odometer calibration the first week that I had the car and it was right on.

So, needless to say, I was very pleased knowing that at times I averaged a good bit over 32 mpg, maybe 34 considering all the times that I had stopped for lights, driven at 70 mph and went through reduced speed zones on the two lane roads.

The EPA test for hwy mileage is an indoor test that does not involve stops, hills, wind, cold temperatures, using the A/C or exceeding 60 mph. Probably, the EPA applies a correction factor for that.

I would think that the EPA obtains a sample vehicle from the manufacturer, tests it and then gives a mpg number for that vehicle. That is the number that the manufacturer then publicizes. So, by my experience, one cannot say that GM is misrepresenting on the 32 mpg claim, only that one may have a Equinox with a problem, or a driver that fails to understand all the factors and the influence that each has on mileage.

I would buy another Equinox without any hesitation. Hope this helps those that are concerned about mileage.
    H i your comments are very interesting , you seem to have bought one of the few Noxs that seem to achieve what GM claim, but then you have the fwd version ours and many others who have the awd version have economy issues, other then that we do like our vehicle, just upset with fuel economy, and we have done very careful checks on hwy use only ( not interested in city use ) just what we can get from point A-B hwy not close to GM claims.
    'Coming back, with 4 people, I did more interstate (80%) driving, used the AC, but kept my speed at 55-60 mph.'

I think you would find thats the magic speed for getting the best milage on the highway. If you happen the match the tach numbers you see at 55-60 at lower speeds it should also do well.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited May 2012
    Since my last post I went on 3K mile trip thru Pa, Oh, In & Wis. Most of my driving was interstate, average speed 67 MPH. Overall MPG was 30.6 DIC ,near 30 using the paper method.

Shortly after the trip had one short trip where I drove 350 miles hitting about 55 MPH. Mileage was near 32 MPG.

This is on a 2012 FWD 4cyl. LS now with 5K miles logged.

Fuel used was in most cases with ethanol at the assumed 10% level.
  • mike69440mike69440 Member Posts: 4
    1.) 20,000 mile break in. (Not just the motor, but the trans, brakes and drivetrain have a lot of internal friction.)

2.) Only achieveable in walm weather.

3.) Tires inflated to 38 Psig.

4.) Do not exceed 3000 RPM, unless a large truck is barreling up your rear.

5.) Anticipate braking and slowing.

6.) Do not use cruise control to resume speed, it is to agressive.

7. Let the tranny upsift, then give more throttle to slowly build speed.

8. 67-69 MPH on cruise control. Try to keep tranmisson in 5th or 6th gear. Mileage drops quite a bit above 72 MPH. Driving at 60 MPH will get you killed, so don't obsruct traffic. Keep it at 65-70.

9. Coast on significantly long steep downhill grades.

I got 30.6 MPG in 450 Miles of MA-NH driving, including hills.
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it's not the car because we really like the ride. Just reached 15,000 miles on the car and noticed that we are starting to get better gas mileage on trips - up to 28 mpg, so there is still hope.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    I do not know who told u 40 mpg. That is a crazy number. They are rated at 22 city & 32 hwy. If you want that kind of mpg. You need to buy something alot smaller :confuse:
    In Canada the equinox awd is rated at 41 mpg hwy , our gallons are 1\3 bigger than US gallons , so thats why your mileage is lower than CDN , with a chip installed I am getting 38 mpg hwy , still not what GM claims.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    If you put the car in "ECO" does mileage improve in town driving?
    Hi we leave the econo on all the time have not noticed any difference either way . in town only or all the time , supposed to alter shift patterns , far as i am concerned it just sounds good to be in " econo mode "
    Eco button or no eco button. Will make no differance for me or you. still only get 25 to 27 on highway. I have 19800 mi, on a four cylinder equinox. We like the equinox but never came close to 32 mpg hwy :sick:
    Just a note to say that I own a 2011 Terrain and did own a 2011 Nox, both 4 cyl fwd, each of them average low to mid 20's around town and in highway driving they routinely get high 20's @ 65mph w/air running and if I go up to 75 it drops to 25mph average. This is by the DIC and I just traded the Nox in on 2013 LTZ 4 cyl, awd and with 1700 miles on the odo it averages 25mpg + on the DIC or by manual calculations since I picked it up 2 weeks ago.
    IMHO you can get the mileage per gallon out of the engines it just takes knowing where your power curve is and how you drive. For myself that is keeing the tach below 2000 rpm for best results. Hope this helps. :)
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Can't figure out the mileage. Drove from Clovis NM to Temple TX last weekend in my 2013 LT2 and averaged 33.9. Coming back on the same roads it was 28.8. My 2011 Malibu routinely gets 34-36 on the road with its 4. My 2003 DeVille Cadillac got better mileage on the road - 30-32 with a 275 HP V8. I am looking forward to finding a certified Cadillac XTS in the next couple of years. I'd like the V6 as well as better gas mileage than the Equinox. Also when you floor the Equinox you hear a sharp engine noise - more of a whine than a roar. Sounds really tacky.

Can't figure out why the gas mileage is poor with the Equinox. You would have expected GM to fix it in the last 3 years. It was bad in 2010. Interesting to note that the ECO button does nothing. Why put it in?
    i think the 4 banger is just not up to the job resulting in poor economy and its sounds tinny, Gm should admit it will not achieve what they claim , now we have paint peeling off the plastic front bumper
  • trans_am_mantrans_am_man Member Posts: 2
    We bought a new 3.0 litre V6 2012 Equinox in February. It has gotten awesome mileage since new. The highest was 29.2 on the highway, the lowest was 17.7 in the city. We routinely average 19 to 20 in city and always get at least 25 to 27 on highway. This is by actual calculations, not counting on the DIC to be correct. i am a huge fan we now have almost 15000 miles and have not had any problem at all. I run fully synthetic oil that I change myself every 3000 miles, maybe that helps????? I love this vehicle and would purchase another in a heartbeat.
    glad to hear you are pleased wih your V6 Eqiuinox , I feel we would have done better with the bigger emgine, still having issuses crop up , on star quit working ( antena ) couple warning lites requireing service , and had have front bumper repainted .
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning rrovernut,

We're sorry that you are not satisfied with your Equinox. In an earlier post, I noticed that you're writing from Canada. Have you already contacted GM of Canada about this? If you would like to, they can be contacted at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    trans_am_man,
    We're so glad to hear that you love your Equinox! Wishing you many more happy miles and a great holiday season!

• indiana81indiana81 Member Posts: 1
    Beware!!! I have a 2010 equinox that we purchased brand new off dealer lot. Oil has been religiously changed by our fleet mechanic every 3000 miles. Have had engine problems at 60,000 miles replaced camshafts. Now at 70,000 replacing lifters on right bank. Dealership is saying that Chevy sent out a bulletin stating that they would no longer cover warranty work when oil changes are not being done at the dealership. Needless to say we aren't backing down.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    Sounds like that could be an issue with the FTC's tie-in provisions. (link)
  • ohc6sprintohc6sprint Member Posts: 23
    Which engine is having the problem 4 cyl or 6cyl? Was there a Dexos motor oil requirement for that engine in 2010?
    Do you already have a Service Request started with Chevrolet Customer Assistance? If not and if you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

• the7murraysthe7murrays Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Equinox and it seems to have a hesitation. Also when putting into gear (whether drive or reverse) it seems to have difficulties going into gear and it makes a clinking noise. It almost seems as though a sensor is bad or it's not getting enough fuel or air-intake. It has less than 15,000 miles on it, the oil's been changed as well as tires rotated. I haven't taken it in yet to the dealer, just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar?
    Good morning the7murrays,

If you do decide to visit your dealership, please keep us posted on their findings! We're available to help you get an appointment set up if you wish - please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, the name of your preferred dealership, an a brief summary of the situation).

• ljskiljski Member Posts: 1
    I have 2012 Equinox w/ 20K miles and serviced regularly. Having similar hesitation problem occasionally when stepping on accelerator after being stopped. Actually stalled on me yesterday in a light rain. Will see dealer when possible.
  • jan21816jan21816 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2013
    Go asap or sooner. Once mine started to stall, it got worse and started happening almost daily. People have had it happen at highway speed in traffic. It's DANGEROUS. After service visit, it's never happened again to mine in 18 months.
    ljski,
    Keep us updated on when you do go in, and if you would like for us to work through that process with you we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • astengerastenger Member Posts: 1
    I have gone to the dealership about the hesitation. I don't feel safe merging at high speeds. I was told it was normal and there were no issues. I've contacted GM customer service and they stated that if the dealership said it is normal there is nothing that can be done. What do I do know?

Customer:
    Is there anything further I shoudl do with getting my car checked out for the hesitation?
    12:28:25
    Stephen:
    At this point the first thing we would have to do is have a GM dealership diagnose the vehicle. However if they state that the vehicle is operating as designed, nothing can be done to the vehicle because nothing has been deemed wrong or broken.
    12:29:40
    Customer:
    So the vehicle is designed to hesitate and jerk.... this isn't a safety concern when entering a highway... how do I know how to judge such a hesitation when merging in high speed traffic?
    12:31:01
    Stephen:
    The vehicle was not designed to hesitate, it is simply acting within the acceptable parameters. However as we discussed, if you feel it is not. You're more than welcome to have the issue diagnosed
    12:31:19
    Customer:
    I have had it diagnosed... thats why I am not talking to you
    12:31:43
    Customer:
    What is my next step above you because I am obviously not getting anywhere
    12:32:12
    Stephen:
    If you'd like, you may write a letter into our corporate offices
    Hello astenger,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the forum. I understand it can be frustrating if the dealership isn't able to find the exact problem you are experiencing. I can suggest possibly going into another dealer for a second opinion. There is a chance they might be able to pinpoint the cause of your concerns. If you would like for me to locate another dealer in your area I would be happy to do so. Please keep me updated.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    edited June 2013
    I also have feel this hesitation. It very frustrating,you attempt to past and your setting there come on !!, go already. But I though this was the nature of the cars computer. There is some thing very wrong with the computer program. Whether or not it would cause accident or not, don't know.
    As for my blog. I have complained about poor gas millage. The dealership said there was nothing wrong with Nox. But when they did a update concerning the number miles driven before the next oil change. I started getting two to three more miles to gallon of gas. It would been nice if they had it program right for the first 25,000 miles so that I could have save money on my gas bill.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

Any Equinox owners stumbling onto this discussion, it'd be nice to see some fresh mpg reports.

thanks!

• mvb1mvb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 AWD 4Cyl LT Equinox. I have no problem getting between 29 - 30 on the highway if I keep it under 70 mph. I do not know where Edmunds and other reviewers are saying that they do not make the EPA MPG estimate as I have no problem with it. I just checked the car and the average fuel economy is 25.4. This car is used primarily for local everyday driving. I would like Edmunds to respond as to the last time they did an MPG check on this vehicle as they prominently post in their review that they could not replicate the EPA estimates. Are they basing these comments on the 4 cyl or 6 cyl version?
  • tdw1954tdw1954 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 11 LT2 FWD 4 cyl and I've averaged 26.9 over the life of the car with 65k on the odometer now. The lowest it gets when my leadfoot wife drives it in city traffic is 22, I get 25. The best it gets at real world highway driving is 28. I can squeeze 32mpg only by driving steady 55 mph on a flat road with no wind and no traffic. This is the first vehicle I ever owned that I couldn't easily exceed the EPA rating in normal driving. In my opinion we've been lied to. The Equinox chief competition, the Honda CRV, the Toyota Rav-4 and the Subaru Forrester are all rated lower but achieve significantly better mileage than the Equinox.
    tdw1954 said:

I have an 11 LT2 FWD 4 cyl and I've averaged 26.9 over the life of the car with 65k on the odometer now. The lowest it gets when my leadfoot wife drives it in city traffic is 22, I get 25. The best it gets at real world highway driving is 28. I can squeeze 32mpg only by driving steady 55 mph on a flat road with no wind and no traffic. This is the first vehicle I ever owned that I couldn't easily exceed the EPA rating in normal driving. In my opinion we've been lied to. The Equinox chief competition, the Honda CRV, the Toyota Rav-4 and the Subaru Forrester are all rated lower but achieve significantly better mileage than the Equinox.

I am not aware of which options are available at which trim level, or what you may or may not have, but do you have and have you used the auto-climate control if its on yours?

• iulawmattiulawmatt Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 08 LT1 AWD 6 cylinder recently, has about 91k. It had just gotten an oil change prior to us buying the car so I haven't had the chance to take it to my mechanic to make sure everything is squared away. We get 17 city, which is what was advertised, but we just took a trip to Illinois this last weekend and only managed to coax a max of 21 MPG out of primarily highway driving (70+ MPH, cruise on, gentle acceleration, cruise set between 2k-2.5k RPM). Tires had been hanging at 30-31 PSI cold, but that's what the panel said they should be at so I wasn't sure if I should adjust the pressure. I'm not sure if the cold is what did in the mileage, and it was my first stretch of highway driving in the car, so I'm willing to give it some time.