Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    grover4grover4 Member Posts: 13
    Should I be concerned that it was built about 1 year ago. Also the car has front guards which we do not want (the dealer will take it off). Should we take this one or try to find a different one without the guards on?
  • Options
    odiopusodiopus Member Posts: 47
    Anyone hear anything on the Disco '02?

Could not find any info. confirming any changes for the Disco '02, but I did find a nice Pic of the 2002 Range Rover...

http://home.online.no/~rolfmm/grafikk/2002RR.jpg

Paul

• Options
    mdimeomdimeo Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

In case you are wondering what is happening to Land rover here is the latest news I got from my dealer.

Production on all models is being delayed...

The defender is having an update because it did not meet the latest safety standards any more, production stopped at the moment, will also get a 7% price increase.

The Freelander, delivery is 8 Months, 3.5% price increase.

Discovery: Delivery time is now 7 to 8 Months (was 4 Months) so something seems to be changed on the model 2002 line. Price increase of 4% more info not known.

Range Rover: no news heard.

this was from an official Land Rover letter to all Belgian dealers.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    This has no bearing on NAS vehicles
  • Options
    sr96sr96 Member Posts: 3
    Tincup,

Someone just told me that my '98 was actually built in '97. Could you please check?
    SALJY1247WA759680

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    Your's was built 11/04/97. Remember automobile model years do not follow calender years. Look at all the 2002 models you can buy now.
  • Options
    janssen99janssen99 Member Posts: 2
    Tincup, could you please chech the vin number for a DII I am close to purchasing. Looking for the birdate and to see if there are any historical concerns on it's record? Thanks

XA212663
  • Options
    phefferpheffer Member Posts: 4
    I am new to Land Rovers and am in the market to purchase one used. Is there a place that I can go to look at the various years and get information on problems and the various descriptions of the different models from year to year?
  • Options
    It was built on 02/23/99, no major repairs done.
  • Options
    What is the average time from build date to sale?

Also wondering whether removal of the front guards will cause any damage to the car?

Thanks in advance for the info.
  • Options
    I couldn't begin to guess at an average on your first question. Which guards are you talking about? The Brush Bar? If so there is a slot cut into the Bumper on the RH side and the Cover for the tow loop on the LH side has a bit trimmed off of it. The tow loop was also removed from the vehicle. Other than exposing these slots, there would be no adverse effect.
  • Options
    I guess on the first question - Is 1 year from build to sale fairly normal?

Yes I was referring to the steel brush bar - it has been installed on the car but I did not want it. So are you saying that there is no tow loop? If so, how would you attach a tow rope to the front of the vehicle?

thanks
  • Options
    mmtinymmtiny Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 96 Discovery SE-7 with 55,000 miles,& automatic for $14950. Can I get some info on reliability and value for this year? I would really appreciate any info I could get.
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the info on Atlantic British. I gave them a call placed the order. They only had deflectors though. According to the sales person, he is not aware of any company making bras for the DII yet. The deflectors should be enough anyway. By the way, would you be so kind to check the build date and/or service history for mine? The last 8 of the VIN is 1A700091.
  • Options
    Build date was 09/08/00
  • Options
    waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    All:

This one has run in the past, but I'd like to bring it back :)

I'm within 60-90 days of buying a DII to replace my '96 DI. The DI is running great, but it's bonus time and I'm going to take the step up!

So for those that opted for ACE, what has your experience been so far? Any warranty/repair work required? I'm aware of the extra noise it produces, but has anyone had any serious problems with it?

Tincup, not sure if this is out of scope, but does LR have any reliability data that is public on this subsystem? Just wondering how it holds up over time. I've heard lots of noise about the air adjustable suspension on Rovers, but given the fact that it was introduced in the mid '90s, it seems to be holding up fairly well on the R-Rovers. That subsystem was suspect in it's day as one that would be faulty over time and be very costly to repair. While not cheap to repair, it's seemingly enjoyed a relatively reliable track record.

All in all, I may lease this next one. Given the fact that I own the Defender and may want to refresh the DII to a Range Rover within the next 2-4 years, I think leasing may make better sense, esp. given the hit you take when trying to sell a vehicle after only a couple of years. With X-plan pin in hand, I should get a fairly good quote :)

If anyone else has done a 3yr/45000 mile lease on an SE or SE7, I'd be very interested in how your payments looked (with the options you chose).

Thanks! wasko
  • Options
    waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Just a quick note that the Defender is running like a charm - has handled quite a few 2-4 hour trips into the mountains. A bit anemic with the AC in the hills, but pure Rover and a joy to drive.

Taking it in this coming week or next to get some minor things addressed:
    * leaky sunroof
    * missing speaker-cover on passenger door
    * 3 radio memory buttons don't work

Just ordered the spring-loaded side-steps for it from AB (as well as the cargo mat) - they should be in this week. That will make it easier for the wife to get in and out of the vehicle, allowing me to drive it even more :)

Thanks,

Steve
  • Options
    We are also looking at trading in our DI (95) for a DII. We are fairly happy with the price on the DII (less than 4% over invoice) but not too happy with the trade in. What range are you expecting to trade or sell your DI?
  • Options
    bakcabakca Member Posts: 33
    Starting to negotiate on an '01 DII SE. Looking for advice on roof racks. Should I go with the LR cross bars. How versatile and adjustable are the factory racks and who makes accessories that fit.

Is it better to go with a Yakima or Thule add on that clamps to the roof rails.
  • Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    I've got an SI Disco and I kept the factory roof rack and xmembers. I use the smallest "square" Yakima clamps and they go right around my stock xmembers. Then the Yakima ski racks attach to the Yakima clamps. Nice setup but I had to modify my garage door to get the truck inside with the tall tires.

For bikes I use the Rhode Gear receiver rack, it folds away and holds 4 bikes. If I'm only taking 2 bikes then they go inside the back.

Regards, -Bob
  • Options
    Thanks Nanuq

Also will the cross bars interfere with the sunroof.

Here in CA it seems likely I will remove accessories and maybe the crossbars when I don't need them.
  • Options
    sduckworthsduckworth Member Posts: 1
    I have to make a choice - lease a AR II or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Roughly same $$$, but Jeep might be a bit more afford able. Quality and reliability issues on both sides. If you had to pick, what would you do?
  • Options
    Yikes... no idea! I don't have sunroofs. But regardless, the stock crossbars are held in by a spring-loaded double pin on either side, just push in the pins from underneath and pop out the xmembers. This can be extraordinarily hard to do if they're corroded, and it's a long way up there so remember to give 'em a shot of WD-40 when you take them off. Sometimes you can use a ski pole tip to press in the pins when all else fails... it just fits between the body and rail.

This is a simple and quick way to on/off a set of roof racks for the Disco. Hopefully non-owners won't figure out how easily they pop off, so the racks and xmembers don't walk away.

Hmmmmmmm, on second thought... it is really REALLY really hard to get these racks off! Honest!

With tongue firmly in cheek, -Bob
  • Options
    schwarzstevenschwarzsteven Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I recently bought a D2 with the extended roof rails, and I installed the Thule Rapid Railing Carrier cross bars thereon. If you position them properly, there is no problem with the sun roofs. I suspect there should be no problem regardless of where you place the cross bars, but I didn't try every location.

FWIW - I removed the cross bars after a week. They were noisy (with sunroof(s) open, and made the truck to high to fit in my parking garage at work.

My neighbors recomended the THULE bars over the LR grabber bars because of increased load capacity, and compatibility with other accessories.

I guess if height isn't a concern, and noise doesn't bother you, then the THULE is a good setup.
  • Options
    The only time I've heard of a clearance problem is if you have the extensions for the side rails that go to the back of the vehicle. With the incorrect cross bars on the extensions you could have clearance problems with the rear sunroof.
  • Options
    I would choose the vehicle that best met your needs. Although I work for Land Rover, I realize that our vehicles are not meant for everyone. The Grand Cherokee is a fine vehicle also. See if you can go for an extended test drive with both vehicles, compare how each retailer treats you, then make the decision that is best for you.
  • Options
    I don't know of any statistics on the ACE system, but we get fewer calls on the tech line about that system than some of the others. It does seem to be a reliable system. It also is very effective. Take it for a test drive back to back with a non-ACE vehicle, the difference is quite noticable.
  • Options
    A year from production to sale is not a usual occurance but it is not unheard of. Vehicle allocations aren't my area of expertise though.
  • Options
    Well, my wife and I went and did it today. We bought the '01 DII SE in white gold with the lightstone interior. Hadn't planned on the lightstone but that was all the dealer could find without the works $$ (ACE, 7 seats, Rear Air). The lightstone looks good but what is different that makes it more expensive?

Tincup,
    can you look up the "birth" date for me. The last 8 are 1A731316.
    Thanks.

The dealer will get it tomorrow prep it and then it's ours. Any special tips on breaking it in right. We will be taking a trip in about a week and I don't know if I want to run it long distance up the highway so soon.

Thanks to all for the info on the racks (and all the other discussions that helped in making this decision). Couldn't quite swing racks with the purchase so I'll be adding them later.

One final request, does anyone know what a typical price is for the LR 5/100 extended warranty.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new Discovery! May it give you many troublefree miles. It was built on 05/17/01.
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Thanks again for checking my DII's birthdate. That makes mine a Friday car (9/8/2000). To anyone, I can't remember exactly but some postings back I recall some people making comments about the day the cars are built. Was Friday supposed to be good or bad? Anything I have to keep an eye on?
  • Options
    This goes back years, but I believe it belongs with all of the other old wive's tales and Urban Legends. Supposedly Friday cars were bad because everyone was getting ready for the weekend, Monday cars because everyone was getting over hangovers. Other than anecdotal stories, there are no actual studies supporting this theory.
  • Options
    lschwartz2000lschwartz2000 Member Posts: 2
    tincup, can you see when our truck's birthday is? VIN ends in 1A711607? Thanks!!

I've seen a few mentions of cars seats out there. My wife and I are expected our first and will soon be in the market for an infant (rear-facing) car seat. Can anyone recommend a specific make/model that they've had a good experience with? Also, if anyone has had a really rough time with a specific make/model please let me know that as well.

I know this is a little off-topic, but I know the Disco II rear seats are a bit different than most vehicles and I'm looking to get some solid user info. thanks.

David.
  • Options
    Yours was built on 11/21/00
  • Options
    roo514roo514 Member Posts: 6
    Well, we bought a 2001 Disco over the weekend and we've been having a lot of fun with it so far! :)

tincup, would you please look up the build date? VIN: 1A727077

Thanks!
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but mine was built on a Thursday and she always seems to run best on Fridays. 'Course the only thing the radio will pick up on Fridays are those Heineken commercials...

I think it's because Lord Lucas is off blowing the froth off a couple pints and forgets to torment my electrics on Fridays. Seems plausible to me. And FWIW I never EVER drive her on Mondays ... just in case Lord Lucas is feeling cranky from a long weekend. It's the mtn bike for me!

Regards, -Bob
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new Discovery. It was built on 04/11/01
  • Options
    mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I am looking to purchase the safari cage rack and ladder for my '01 DII SE7 for extra storage when loaded with 7 passengers. I am wondering if the cage would interfere with the sunroofs opening fully. The photos seem to show minimal clearance between the roof and rack. Any experience out there? Also, would the Kayak racks interfere as well? Thanks for any info.
    mrtoad3
  • Options
    ruxpin27613ruxpin27613 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how I can find out what kind of maintenance a particular Discovery has had?
    My wife and I are looking at a '97 Discovery VIN SALJY1245VA537184. I don't want something that's had a lot of problems or major accident repairs that wouldn't show up on Carfax. Does Land Rover provide any information on warranty work etc?
    Please help!
  • Options
    None of the Genuine Land Rover Discovery Series 2 accesories interfere with the sunroofs. The original Discovery cross bars can interfere with the rear sun roof with the side rail extensions fitted it the bars are installed in a certain position. The later cross bars will not interfere.
  • Options
    The vehicle you are looking at was built 7/16/96. No major problems in this vehicle's warranty history. Mostly leaks or minor electrical problems.
  • Options
    simrocksimrock Member Posts: 3
    I didnt have a problem with my first child and the car seat because it was in the middle of the back seat, but now that i am having a second child i am having a VERY hard time finding a rear facing carseat that will fit behind the passenger or drivers seat. There isnt alot of room! My only option is to move the passenger seat forward quite a bit(which is uncomfortable for most people) or try to squeeze the seats side by side, which isnt very good when one child is grabbing at the other. The peg perego infant carseat worked great for us. GOod luck
  • Options
    suvguy2suvguy2 Member Posts: 1
    My neighbor is selling his '94 Disco. It has 220,000 miles and is in good condition inside and out, and it doesn't leak any vital fluids. There is no blue cloud behind it when he drives down the street. He's done a number of repairs over the years which he will share with me (we just haven't had time to discuss). The price isn't final but will be in the $5,000 range. I'm thinking of buying it to drive to work and have some fun with, and to help me decide if I want to plunk down 35 large for a new one.

I would appreciate any info on problem areas to be aware of and whether I am buying a money pit. I believe '94 was the first year for the Disco. What things should I expect to repair/replace at that mileage? The way I see it, it must be a fairly reliable vehicle to go that far in 7 years. He drives it to work daily - 160 miles round trip, all interstate. He's also big into hunting and has taken it off road.
  • Options
    It should have had any of the problems show up by now. 1994 was the first year of the Discovery in North America. It had been available since 1987 in the rest of the world, so it was not a brand new model.
  • Options
    expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    I just picked up a "new to me" 2000 Disco II SD with 6k on the odometer for $300 over low book. It is immaculate and I am just wondering what it has been doing for the last one and a half years. Vin # SALTL1541YA282430. Thank you. Also is there anyone that could lead me to a CD changer for this rig? All that I have found aftermarket is a Alpine S620 with a interface cable. Anyone know who builds the changers for LR? $700 from the dealer is real steep for a 6 disk changer. Also, what seat coverings come on the Disco II? I have heard of cloth/Velor, "Duragrain," and leather. Mine looks like leather but have a glossy look of "pleather" to them. The seat backs are very soft though along with the pouches.
  • Options
    You're vehicle was built on 05/08/00. This vehicle has had 1 minor problem under warranty. Sounds like you got a great deal. All SD models are duragrain interior and are base models. The SE models is the top line with leather. These were the only 2 models in 2000. For 2001 they added an LE model, cloth and leather, which was a mid line model. The CD changers are from Alpine.
  • Options
    expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    I checked under the passengers seat yesterday and it seems that the CD changer is already pre-wired and the mounts are there. Do you know if a aftermarket Alpine deck can be used? The stereo installers say that the Alpine S620 with a Blitzman interface cable is required. Do you know if this deck will adapt to the interface cable that is already under the seat?
  • Options
    I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that.
  • Options
    ruxpin27613ruxpin27613 Member Posts: 7
    Tincup47,
    Thanks for the info on that '97!
    That one fell thru but we are now eyeing up a '98 with VIN SALJY1248WA750261. Can you tell us about any warranty work done. It is now at 50k and we are looking at it on Ebay. Carfax showed it had been passed around a couple times and listed a comment as 'Service Contract Claim' which we were wondering about.
    Is it OK to ask you more questions as we look for a Discovery for my wife? Do you have any general advice for finding a good deal on a well kept Discovery?
    Thank You so Much! :)
  • Options
    That vehicle was built 9/10/97. Last reported mileage we have is 45,691. Up until that time nothing major had gone wrong. Feel free to ask anything, I may not be able to answer.