Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Electrical Problems

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Not the alternator as it supplies all power to the vehicle. The battery will only support the vehicle for a few hours without recharge, so it must be doing it's job.

Did the problems begin after the stereo swap?
  • 403jimmy403jimmy Member Posts: 3
    Yes only after i did the stereo swap did this problem persist, I don't really know much about domestics as I've only owned this truck//suv, for
    about 2 months.
  • dlingleydlingley Member Posts: 2
    Can't get the parking lights to shutoff. Pulled fuses 2 and 3 and they are still on. Anybody seen this before? Thanks
    Disconnect your stereo power and see if the problem disappears. It could be that the connection instructions you received are incorrect, or if an adapter harness was included there may be an error in the connection.

Start by pulling the electrical connections and see if that clears the other problems.

Just thought of something. I have found times when the instructions on an aftermarket stereo showed connections to wires of specific color, but they get the colors wrong. So, even though you follow the instructions exactly, it still doesn't work. You might check out the wiring diagram in the back of a Haynes (or equivalent) manual and see if the diagram matches the instructions.

Jim
  • 403jimmy403jimmy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Jim, I'll take a look and see what I can do,
    but just wondering, could it be that the Orange(Illumination)wire, and the Red(Acc)wire,
    are reversed for some weird reason even though I followed the intructions//put the colors properly together??
    I just know that GM did not always follow the same color code that Ford and Chrysler did. The classic mis-cue was wiring up a seven contact trailer light connector. If you wired per the standard color code, the left signal wire would be connected to the clearance lights! Easy to see the mistake the first time the driver turned left and half the lights on the dumb trailer would start flashing!

Check on some of the parts houses and see if you can get a manual with wiring diagram. I am thinking more and more that a color mapping error has caught you.
    What year model is your Blazer?
  • stickmandadof3stickmandadof3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1993 GMC Jimmy. The turn single have stopped working. :blush: Hazards work wipers work, brights work just not blinkers fuse is good and wires don't seem lose. what are my options short of replacing the whole switch for brights/wipers etc :confuse:
  • stickmandadof3stickmandadof3 Member Posts: 3
    can any one help me
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The problem is most likely either the turn signal switch (in your steering column) or the flasher unit itself. Thoughts anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • michelley77michelley77 Member Posts: 2
    ok so i have read some of the posts about this problem..
    My problem is even when my turn signals are off it still keeps clicking. My brake lights all work and I've changed the turn signal flasher($12) behing the glove box.. It hasn't fixed my problem.. It keeps either clicking or making a weird buzzing sound.. Help me please.. Just a girl trying to fix her car..:-)
  • david565david565 Member Posts: 7
    I also have a '98 blazer and was having the same problem - clicking coming from behind the glove box and sometimes the buzzing sound. I replaced the entire turn switch assembly on the tree and that fixed the problem. I found the part on ebay for about $75. It's kinda hard to replace, but much cheaper than taking it to the shop.
  • michelley77michelley77 Member Posts: 2
    So this would be on the steering column?? Or where the flasher switch is?? I do most of my repairs myself but this sounds kinda tricky.. Everything has been working fine it's just the annoying clicking and once in awhile the buzzing... Looked for any type of shorts or corroded wires. I even found something about checking my trailer light plug.. did that too.. cleaned it and wrapped it up.. clueless as to what to do next.. I just turn up the radio and try to ignore but I know it needs to be fixed properly.. Thanks for any help you can give me..
    Michelle
  • gypsyhawkgypsyhawk Member Posts: 1
    rebuilt engine, checked fuses, battery fine, power only to starter and then absolutely nothing! HELP! :sick:
  • bitterbitter Member Posts: 22
    Did you ever find the fix to this problem? I have the same issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bitter.
  • rickd00rickd00 Member Posts: 5
    hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
    hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
    i have a 2000 gmc jimmy 2dr 4x4, i have a problem with my abs and cant quite get it figured out... maybe you guys can help, here goes. abs light on and goes off all the time. which leads me to an intermitant problem. i put it on the computer and the code that i got said it was a power failier no senors are bad the module and all are working fine... it's a power surge or power failier that is causeing the problem.. but i have no clue where to even begin to trace this problem i have checked my battery teminals and got them all cleaned. i checked all connections from the puse panel under the hood going to the abs module on the master cylinder.. where else should i look do you have a wiring diagram for the abs that you can send me to trace the wires??
  • vpettittvpettitt Member Posts: 3
    A freind was pulling plug wire passenger side and I was trying to get dash off to get to radio and fan switch cause neither one of em turned on had key in and turned to on and was about to put screw driver to work ............radio came on but no blower ??
    I DIDENT DO IT I swear............The Jimmy germlin ??
    My freind was happy I finshed my part quick Iam sitting there driver in hand looking like ??????????
    Anyway what can I look for and any and all help is needed.New here and this is MY first Jimmy.Thanks Vernon
  • micknmickn Member Posts: 2
    Still not sure why the door locks were acting strange but the main problem ended up being the fuel pump. $550 to fix! Overall this has been a good Blazer. It currently has 190,000 miles on it.
  • johns11johns11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm fairly sure this has been covered...but, as a new member, I can't find a reference to it. I have a 96 Blazer LT with the basic AM/FM radio with a single CD player. It was operating fine until one day it started flashing on and off when the power was off. Sometimes you couldn't turn it off. Now it's dead except you can push the recall button and it will show the proper time...and you can still insert and remove a CD to the player. Any ideas or suggestions. I took it to be checked and they wanted $400 to repair. Seemed jussssttt a bit steep. Thanks.
    You can replace it with a working used one for about $100. There is a place out of Florida named s10Warehouse I have bought from. They just deal in S10/Blazer used parts.
  • bill166bill166 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Rick, what exactly is the multi function switch you refer too?
    The multifunction switch is the turn signal, high beam, cruise control, wipers.

The stalk has some of the switches in it, and actuates others in the column.
  • bitterbitter Member Posts: 22
    I have a 97 Chevy Blazer that had a similar problem. The ABS light would come on and the brake light would come on and go out simultaneously. They both would come on and go off. But while this was occurring, the blower would stop working and the electric windows would not work. Strangely enough it turned out to be the ignition switch in the steering column. Not the key ignition, but rather the harness that runs to the fuse block. $100 bucks @ local parts place. A few years difference but I think that's it. Not very hard to change, just tedious. Get a second opinion.
  • tolesontoleson Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys i'm looking for alot of input on this one. I have a 1995 chevy blazer and Out of the blue iv'e lost both low beam lights. To make this problem even more interesting is the fact that when I turn on the high beams... Even though they work the blow the number 16 fuse for the turn signals. This truck has been a great truck I just hope this isn't anything major. I think it has to be something stupid. I just haven't found anything yet. PLEASE HELP! :sick: :sick: :confuse: :confuse:
  • nuks4evernuks4ever Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here, this looks like a great site. My tach on my 2001 Jimmy lunges below 50mph & above 80. The engine doesn't rev or anything, it just spikes. Recently had a tranny flush and new fuel filter put in, alternator rebuilt, but I wouldn't think that would do it. But I have been experiencing some electrical issues over the last 6 mos. or so. I've lost my overhead compass/temp. readout, then 2 button lights on the stereo, some dash lights, the rest of the stereo buttons, and my 4x4 wouldn't engage, but it just started working again. 1 other thing, we're getting a shock once in a while when getting out. Any ideas just short of a complete electrical trace would be helpful.
    Thanks
  • frost49frost49 Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if you are still looking for a fix, but I followed the directions and I had the same problem. Fixed but wouldn't close. The lever that unlocks the window has to be pushed to the right (sitting outside looking into the back) to work. Push the lever to the right a little at a time and tighten the nylon tie as you go. The lever has to be so far over to allow the lock to work when you close the hatch. From where it starts with nothing on it I had to move it about an inch over towards the accuator to get it to work both ways. Hope this helps and thanks BIG to Really M for his advice. Saved me $100.00 part from dealer and $75 in labor. :)
  • ktcim1ktcim1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a gmc jimmy and it doesnt start without me jumping it. i put a new alternater, a new batter, and a new starter. It still won't start without me jumping it. Can anyone help me?
  • judastouchjudastouch Member Posts: 7
    My 2001 Jimmy won't start if it sits in cold weather (around 32 F) longer than a couple days, something that just started this winter (previous, colder winters were not a problem). The starter will crank and crank, the engine just won't start. Once I warm it up (tow it to a garage, for instance), it fires right up. If I drive it every day--no problem. Coil and coolant temp sensor were replaced--no dice. Put a distributor and ignition module from a Blazer on there--no dice. Plugs, wires, rotor and battery are all about 1.5 years old. No codes coming up on diagnostic. Plugs are all wet--getting plenty of fuel, mechanic thinks they're just not getting enough voltage, that maybe changing them again would do it. I find it hard to believe that all six plugs would have the same problem. Am overseas where parts are tough to come buy, so just popping in a new set of plugs isn't as easy as it sounds. This thing is kicking my butt--any thoughts? Thanks!
    Duh--Of course I meant 4.3L V6. Sorry for any confusion.
    Just for grins, can you get an extension cord and hair drier and blow hot air into the air intake tube while somebody cranks? There are a couple of sensors that monitor the intake air, and if one of them is whacked this might show the problem.

Just re-read your post. Does it start immediately if you jumper it?

There is also a crankshaft position sensor on the front of the engine, bottom side by the crankshaft pully. While this *should* set a code if bad, it doesn't always. Voice of experience on that one! I would try the same trick of blowing the hair drier on the sensor (it is an external sensor that shuts off spark if it thinks the engine is not turning) and see what you get.

I am all about trouble shooting instead of parts swapping. Assuming all the ignition parts were reconnected correctly, the likelyhood of six bad sparkplugs is right up there with winning the lottery. Without buying a ticket.
    I might be able to run a hair dryer off the balcony and into the parking lot. :) It's something I've considered doing for lots of parts under the hood, nice to have it narrowed down.

Haven't tried jumping it yet. It crossed my mind, but since it cranks so hard, I ruled it out. I guess it's worth a shot.

Talked to a GMC dealer, who immediately suggested the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump. Like I said, it's getting plenty of fuel in the cylinder, but if the pressure regulator is flooding it, then that'd give me the same problem, so I think I'll heat up the FPR, too. He also suggested a vacuum leak, which the mechanic had already ruled out.

I agree on the plug thing--he's convinced I have a voltage problem, and wants to try that, or at least pulling and cleaning them. I just don't see it.

Thanks again; I'll be sure and post the solution (assuming I find it). And I'll gladly take more suggestions.
    Your dealer may be onto something with the fuel regulator. I had a 6.0L in a full size truck do something similar. It wasn't temp related, though. But if the truck sat for a couple of days it didn't want to start. The fuel regulator was allowing fuel to drain into the intake. The temp component you mention sort of eliminates that issue. Any chance you have some water in the tank? Make sure it is fuel and not water you are getting. Saw a car come in on the hook and the owner swore up and down it wasn't out of gas, the gauge showed full and she verified she had just filled up. That's when the light bulb went off and I determined that she did indeed have a full tank. Of water. A service station got to pay for that repair.

Not saying water is the problem here, but just to keep an open mind about what looks right but may not be. Seems half of troubleshooting these newer electronic systems is observation and logic.
  • pgarrett2pgarrett2 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever resolve this problem. I'm having the same problem on a 2000 Jimmy.
    Hey shirt,

I *think* it was indeed the fuel pressure regulator (FPR), though I can't say with 100% certainty.

I didn't have an extension cord long enough to reach the parking lot, so I filled a large Zip-loc bag with hot water and set it over top of the FPR and left it for about 20-30 minutes. It fired right up. The reason I'm not certain the problem was the FPR is because we've warmed up a bit here--it was probably almost 45 F when I did this (it was not starting at about 40 and under). So, it might have been the FPR, or it might have been some other part that was warm enough at 45.

I thought about trying to start it without first warming up the FPR, but I knew that if it didn't start I was going to flood it, and I was afraid it wouldn't start even after I'd warmed it up.

I went ahead and ordered a new FPR, but I think spring has sprung, and I won't know for sure if that was the problem until next winter.
  • blackhawk05blackhawk05 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on my 96 Blazer - 4.3L, 153,000 miles. It will crank over, but not fire. Sometimes will start after several minutes of cranking/waiting, but will always start when jumped. Battery is new, new fuel filter.
    Mechanic said there was no ignition system problems, but the fuel pressure was 45-50 lbs. From reading other posts, this could be an issue. Any suggestions?
    I have to go back and revisit my answer: my problem probably was NOT the FPR. I did get a chance to let it sit for a few days while I awaited the new FPR in the mail. Wouldn't start. Mechanic then told me that while he thought he had swapped out the distributor cap before while trouble-shooting, it turns out there had been a miscommunication with one of his guys, and they hadn't swapped it out, so they tried that. I recently left it sitting for a week while I was out of town, and it happened to be a pretty cold week: in the 40s, the perfect environment for this elusive problem of mine to crop up. Truck fired right up, and has been firing up with no problems since then. The old distributor cap was less than 18 months old and couldn't have had more than 5,000 miles on it, but it certainly seems that was the issue. Luck.
    As simple as the component is, and with no moving parts, I have learned over the years that all distributor caps are not created equal. For one thing, the shape of the contacts and their relative spacing to the rotor contact can change the dynamic timing in the engine.

I have had to buy off-brand ignition parts before when caught in an out of the way location and was surprised to see the difference. Even a set of points for something as common as a Ford 200ci 6cyl seemed simple enough until they flew apart at a screaming 3000RPM.

Glad you are up and running, and hope that cures the gremlin.
  • altenatorcrapaltenatorcrap Member Posts: 1
    85 Blazer 350 4x4- New Altenator-Battery-Battery wiring and terminals- New Alt Plug- New Starter- ----Altenator power only randomly gets to the battery- Can I just straight wire it some way. How can this even happen?
  • mrafindleymrafindley Member Posts: 1
    Help my button on my hazzard lights popped out of the column and a spring flew accross the cab. My 4 ways will not shut off now. I stuck an ink pen to hold the button down under the dash. I priced the switch and they want 230 dollars for the whole piece because it controlls the wipers, 4 ways, blinkers, and cruise. Is there any place just to but the red button and spring? 1997 s-10 blazer 2wd
  • pvanamanpvanaman Member Posts: 3
    Go to the Chevy dealer parts dept, ask for the GM hazard switch repair kit (part # 15174447) it just pops in, no tools required, cost is $9.
  • bobbyburrellbobbyburrell Member Posts: 1
    I recently "inherited" a 96 Chevy Blazer. The biggest problem is that the brake lights do not come on nor do the turn signals. The hazard lights also do not work as the button is broke off in the column.
    Can anyone advise where I should start or where to locate some likely causes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    bobby
  • pvanamanpvanaman Member Posts: 3
    Bobby, see message #314
  • lastlion1lastlion1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a blinker problem, that is no blinkers. I have checked the little fuses and the bulbs but I don't know what else there is. Does anyone know if there is another fuse or something else I should be doing to try and fix this? I would appreciate any help I can get.. :)
  • robtlnj97robtlnj97 Member Posts: 2
    This is a general answer to this problem.
    I know I just went through it myself.

The turn Signal Switch incorporates the Hazard Switch, High and Low beam headlights, Windshield Wiper speed, intermittent, and washer spray contacts along with the Cruise Control if so equipped.

This is usually caused by excessive carbon build-up in the Turn Signal portion of the switch switch on the steering column itself.

It's not too, too hard to replace the switch if your good with tools and patience.

Just remember that there are more than one "Turn Signal Switch" produced for these vehicles, "extended build" and "option code" variables.

The switch may even be opened to clean out the carbon build up on the contacts inside the switch, but you have to be very diligent in attempting this repair.

I personally at the time, did not want to try to open the switch only because I couldn't afford to be without the vehicle. You have to open the drivers side of the dash and drop the steering wheel. I know sometimes the way Murphy's Law works and I would have been on the bad side of Murphy.

The Dealership wanted over $600.00 to do the job, $280.00 for the Switch itself.
    Cost me $220.00 for the new switch from a site on the internet which included expedited shipping and 3+ hours of my time. I got the switch in 24 hours, would have been 2 days from the dealer. The switch is OEM too.

After installing the new switch I decided to open and repair the switch, which was LOADED with carbon build-up in the Turn Signal portion of the switch.
    Now I have an extra switch.
    There are plenty of sites on the web where you can get the switch, but like I said make sure it's the correct one for the Vehicle.

GOOD LUCK! :D

I truly hope this does not upset the Hosts or Moderators of the site, If it does I apologize. I tried to understand the terms of the site but I'm a Mechanic, not a an Attorney or I would have posted the site I did business with.
  • do_it_myselfdo_it_myself Member Posts: 10
    I'm pumped, just bought a 97' Jimmy yesterday. Very, very well kept. Just 71k mi. Went to open rear hatch earlier today (worked fine yesterday) with the key remote and it wouldn't open. So, I used the button on the dash to open it, it wouldn't open. I tried the key, wouldn't open. I finally checked the fuse (# 2- 20amp) and it was blown. (also controls lighter, horn, etc.) I tried to replace it, and once the new fuse made contact it sparked and blew. The next time I tried replacing the fuse without the engine running, again it blew. What could be causing this? I'm sure probably a short in the wiring somewhere, but where should I begin? I am a rookie to auto-repair, but not bad at it. Please someone help me!
    Pull the lighter from the cig and see if that clears the short. May be the lighter is shorted.

To blow a 20 amp on contact, you have a hard short. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Look at the wiring around the lighter, and under the dash for any cuts, jumpers, modifications, that sort of thing. Did the car have a custom audio system that was removed before selling? Or an electric brake controller for trailer brakes?
  • do_it_myselfdo_it_myself Member Posts: 10
    JLFLEMMONS, thank you, you are the friggin' man! I read the first sentence of your reply and knew that had to be it! I never gave it a thought, but earlier today I replaced my lighter with this lighter I bought that has a die (rolling dice) on the end of it. I took the lighter out, replaced the fuse and BAM! Everything works! I never thought it could be that simple. The lighter is cool looking, but I threw the damn thing away. I am so glad I found this forum, if there is anything else I will ever need for my auto this is the first place I'll come looking for advice. Thanks again buddy!
    You're welcome, glad I could help.

Jim