Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Engine and Diagnostics Problems

2»

Comments

• d_myrumd_myrum Member Posts: 1
    Hugh what did you find out about the torque converter
  • atmahhaatmahha Member Posts: 1
    hello can anyone tell me where to finde the oil presure switch on a 02 explorer thanks a million
  • lazydave41lazydave41 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with a Buick. It ended up being the cam sensor. When it gets hot it expands causing it not to make contact. I could put cold water on the sesor and it would start right up. Just a thought. Try some cold water on the sensor.
  • ofdofd Member Posts: 1
    I used to like this vehicle. Started running rough @ @ 105000 mi. Though Idle smoothly. Then started using coolant, got worse. Took to Ford dealer, they could not find anything wrong. Continued driving it, Took it to a shop my company uses. They put all new spark plugs, ran good for 4 months, but check engine light stayed on. Started running rough again this past week. Ran Bad yesterday. Today I discovered water in the oil.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I was just going to say, you have a bad head gasket...... Classic symptoms. But very odd for that engine. The engine with that problem was the older 3.8L Essex engine. Yours (assuming it's the 4.0L) is the Cologne, Germany engine, as bullet proof as they come. Not comforting to you, I know. Sorry for your loss..... If you don't fix it really soon, it will hydrolock, and then you're on a tow truck.
  • f110mechf110mech Member Posts: 1
    2005 Ford explorer with 52000 miles. Tune up completed within last 4 months. Loss of power on highway with service engine soon light. Spent a week at Mechanic with no findings other than sometimes misses on #2,6 cylinder. Removed neg on Batt to dismiss light. Continued to drive for 6 weeks with no problem. Tried starting one morning and got an aweful screatching sound like starter failure. Replaced starter and did not fix. Sounds exactly the same. Mechanic Neighbor suggests the timimg belt is broken and now looking at about $4k repair-----any help? Have not been to Ford yet---Too pissed.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    First of all, your neighbor mechanic is an idiot. This engine has a CHAIN, not a timing belt, and it's not broken. If he doesn't even know that, RUN!! Sounds like your starter drive, or flywheel has a few missing teeth and the starter isn't engaging to turn the engine. Find another (good) mechanic, you'll be able to fix it for way less than that.