Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Prius that gets over 100 Miles per Gallon

2»

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am not disputing the current cost of hybrid batteries. I would just like to see some solid evidence that they have come down in price. Not just bloggers popping out figures on the cost of hybrid batteries 7 years ago. The price was protected because Toyota did not want to scare people with the truth. In CA with 150k mile warranty it is kind of a non-issue until you reach 150,001 miles on your hybrid.
    I do not think they have overcome the problems inherent in Li-Ion batteries to the point they will be used by Toyota to build a PHEV. That 100 MPG Prius was a gimmick car sent to Great Britain to get those folks interested in hybrids. It is not an easy sell where there are many choices of fuel efficient cars. This is discussion of PHEV so I will add this from your link.

Q: Is this the kind of battery that would be used if a plug-in hybrid system is developed?

GS: A system like that might use nickel-metal hydride or lithium ion batteries. Plug-in systems need significantly more capacity than currently exists in the batteries in our hybrids. Toyota is exploring the possibilities for plug-in hybrids, but has made no determination about them.

Q: What about the third-party suppliers who are converting Prius and some other hybrids to plug-in use?

GS: Toyota's current hybrids are not designed for larger traction batteries, and the company discourages these modifications, which void the vehicle's warranty. The conversions that I'm aware of are very costly, add significant weight to the vehicle, and have not gone through the rigors of full engineering evaluation such as brake balance, crash testing and durability.
  • urbandude42urbandude42 Member Posts: 4
    @#@#@$#$#$#%$%%$^%^%^ tires. I'm done. while the warranty runs out.
    How many miles on the car?
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    You have my sympathy ...BUT...You speak of the 1st Generation Hybrid and not the 2nd Generation models ('04 & up). I own an '04 and have nothing but praise. Winter milage is 37-42 and summer is a pretty honest 46-48. I bought my 1st set of replacement tires (Goodrich)($200.00) @ 52K and have a total of 56K now on the Prius. Problems with the car ...other than 2 recalls 1) for gas tank modification) 2) Recalibrating computer, I have had only one problem with the car. Replacement of a burned-out headlight bulb that's next to impossible to do yourself. I finally took it to the dealer & let them struggle with it (20 minutes) @ no charge. I suppose not everyone can see the Prius as the miracle car but danged if it isn't close to it in my oppinion. One surprise I find amazing about my Prius....I'm still on the original brake pads @ 56K. Never had any other car go that long B/4. :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "You have my sympathy ...BUT...You speak of the 1st Generation Hybrid and not the 2nd Generation models ('04 & up). I own an '04 and have nothing but praise."

I should point out that you need to wait until 2009 to reach the same age. Also, the items he listed as failed do not come under the extended emissions warranty, so the owner pays.
    Urbandude could help fill in some details....like you pointed out 1) how many miles? 2) Bought new or used? 3) Why the tire problem? 4) Do we all agree that the 1st gen is a much different breed from the much improved 2nd gen. Prius. We're all aware of the complexities of the hybrid Prius but with a more than outstanding warrantee I'm more than satisfied. Nuff said! :shades:
    "Urbandude could help fill in some details....like you pointed out 1) how many miles? 2) Bought new or used? 3) Why the tire problem? 4) Do we all agree that the 1st gen is a much different breed from the much improved 2nd gen. Prius. We're all aware of the complexities of the hybrid Prius but with a more than outstanding warrantee I'm more than satisfied. Nuff said!"

Please report back in 2009...
    Why not 2012, since that's when my "hybrid" warrantee expires. I hope we're not bumping heads here but I'd just like to say that the info from "urbandude" left alot unanswered. Obviously I consider the '04 Prius an incredible car and I've been aware that you have differing thoughts. I would like to point out that I've never had a car that exceeded my expectations like the Prius. As to urbandude, if he fails to fill in the blanks then I'd say a pass is in order cuz there are serious holes in his info. I can't speak about the '02 Prius but I have considerable knowledge as to the performance, handling, and quality of "my" Prius and with 3-1/2 yrs behind the wheel I can honestly state...2nd Gen. Prius is the car of the future here today. Nuff said! :D
    "Why not 2012, since that's when my "hybrid" warrantee expires. "

Because the items he mentioned are not part of the "hybrid warranty", and have a 3 year / 36K (or possibly 50K) warranty.
    You're right except I , like most prudent car buyers these days, have an extended warrantee, thus confident that my bases are covered. I have to admit though that the Prius has proven to exceed quality and dependability issues for me. Although there is no perfect car out there...This is as close as I've ever come to that holy grail of transportation. :)
    "This is as close as I've ever come to that holy grail of transportation. "

... for a smaller vehicle that doesn't provide the 70-80 Cubic feet of cargo space that a small SUV or CUV will provide. (or 35 Cubic feet with five passengers). The Prius fills it's designed space nicely, but isn't for everyone.
    "You're right except I , like most prudent car buyers these days, have an extended warrantee, thus confident that my bases are covered."

OK, good for you, I was responding to the quote about "2012, when the hybrid warrantee expires." [sic]
    There is one other thing worth streeing here. This '04 Prius has turned out to be a far better car (especially in these times) than any I've ever owned b/4. Of course my desires and needs sure have changed over the years. I have owned a variety of cars from 63 Impalas to Opal G.T.'s with a sprinkling of Corvettes, Honda 600 Coupes, Mustangs, and even Lincoln Town Cars. I tend to feel wiser for ownership of this amazing hybrid, what with gas creeping up again. I wear a Prius smile these days. What can I say?
    Actually there's no such thing as the perfect car. Each of us has to search out what fullfills our own particular needs as to transportation. It's just a common factor that "all" vehicles require fuel on an all too often basis. Where as the Prius delivers excellent mpg's and reasonable room in a versital hatchback. Is it perfect? No. But, like I said so many times b/4. How many cars make you smile to and from the gas station.
    "'How many cars make you smile to and from the gas station."

Well, since I periodically go to gas stations, I suppose I smile to and from them also. But in fact I smile every time I get in my own "grail-mobile" (not a guzzler, but not a hybrid either). Different strokes... :shades:
  • boraboraborabora Member Posts: 16
    I just drove my car out of dealer's lot. a 13 mile trip with 29.8MGP. this dissapointed me a lot. in this nice california weather, i am expecting 50mpg.
    any tips on that?
    You have to drive like you are the little old lady from Pasadena to get near to 50 MPG.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The car is new.
    1. You had to charge the "traction battery" up to normal operating state of charge. That takes exra energy.
    2. All components of the car need to be broken in - that takes extra energy.
    3. You may need to learn to drive for better mileage.
    4. The car is still "learning" how to operate efficiently.
    5. Tire pressure! Make sure the tires are inflated correctly. Many Prius owners inflate to 42 PSI front, 40 PSI rear, for better fuel economy. At least make sure they are inflated as per the door jamb placard.
    6. Were you in "D" or "B"? "B" will substatially lower your mileage if you drive in it. It's for keeping the car under control on very long decents without having to ride the brakes - think mountain passes here.

It's normal for poor mileage when new. If you are basing your entire mileage experience on a 13 mile trip you will be forever disappointed. Way too small sample!
    Drivers with a heavy foot -average- 40 to 45 MPG. Drivers who learn how to drive the Prius (takes a few months usually) will get 45 worst case, and 55 typically. Expect lower mileage with heater or A/C on constantly. High speed will also lower mileage - speed greater than 65 MPH.

Finally, how do you know what your mileage was? MFD readout? Wait until you get 3 or 4 tanks under your belt before worrying about calculating mileage. Due to the fuel tank "bladder" you will find it difficult to fill the tank to the same degree of "full" each time. So that's also a false calculation fuel mileage trap you have to watch out for.
  • boraboraborabora Member Posts: 16
    thanks for all your tips.
    i drove the car for another 30 commuting miles yesterday and today. seems the number gets better. 40mpg average.
    then i reset consumption for the last 3 mile really jammed high way, turns out to be 70mpg.
    the tip is that, dont step on gas unless you have to...
    once the gas engine kicks in, the consumption goes up.
    it will be a nice commuter car...
  • cheryl06priuscheryl06prius Member Posts: 50
    I am inclined to agree that you have to drive something like "the little old lady from Pasadena" to get close to 50 mpg, in the winter at least.

Since I live in Buffalo-NY, severe winters are a fact of life. For the 1700 miles I drove in February 2007, my mpg average was 47. For the 5955 miles I drove between May and September 2006 my mpg average was 57.

These figures are based upon filling the tank to the same exact level each time, i've found it impossible to rely on the fuel consumption trip gauge-it is sometimes 3mpg high,other times 3mpg low.

What are my secrets: disciplining myself to drive 60mph for 80% of my interstate drives. I save my 65mph stints for downhill and wind advantage stretches or when necessary to pass slower traffic. Since I do much nightime driving, this is really not as unreasonable as some might think.

The other is to maximize coasting/lower speed driving, so as to minimize full stops at traffic signals. It makes no sense to speed up only to have to come to a full stop-look ahead and try to predict when the traffic light will change. Anything you can do to minimize accelerating from full stops will in the long run improve your FE.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    Actually, I have never been able to get less than 47mpg. I am able to average around 50, despite having to drive on the highway for more than 20mi of my daily 35mi commute. When I picked up the car in Kansas and drove to Oklahoma, and then on to Dallas, I drove on the highway at no less than 55 and no higher than 105 - I still got 51.3. This is confirmed by the onboard computer against my long hand. I chk'd the tire pressures before I left town and they were adjusted to stock pressures. However, the mileage did drop somewhat when I had to refuel in DFW with the 10% Ethanol blend mandated by the Fed/State. About 2mpg. Gas here is $2.769 if you hunt for it.
  • alfredpriusalfredprius Member Posts: 1
    Thx for the tip, but what are the lessons involed in knowing the correct way of driving Prius -- pray tell... Thx!
This discussion has been closed.