Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Honda CR-V

Comments

• Options
    jacksy3jacksy3 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    New to this forum with two questions for car folks out there: One, my wife is still fixated on buying a Saturn Vue Hybrid, after we test drove the 2007 CRV. I really liked the CRV. I think the hybrid part of the Saturn was appealing to my wife as well as the bigger feel inside. But I still vote for the CRV. How do I convince her otherwise?

Second part, we need a small SUV that will hold two baby car seats in the back plus the occassional grandma. Does anyone have experience with this? The 2007 CRV is bigger than 2006, so it seems more possible and we don't want to jump to something bigger.
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    My wife vetoes about half the vehicles I put on the short list. Maybe it's all my testoterone.
    ------------------------------------

My wife and I are just the opposite. I wanted her to get a reliable fuel efficient CRV. She got a Mercury Mariner instead. But she loves it and that's what matters.
  • Options
    twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    One, my wife is still fixated on buying a Saturn Vue Hybrid, after we test drove the 2007 CRV.
    -----------------------------------

We just traded in a Vue (not a hybrid). It's a nice car but I'd go with the CRV. Unless that is, you can wait for the all new 2008 Vue. Personally, I think a regular 4cyl is more cost efficient than a hybrid.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Compute the total cost of ownership. Normally, hybrids don't show an advantage until you drive 200,000 miles or something insane like that. That is because they have fairly expensive battery replacements needed around 80K-100K miles.

Hybrids are still better for the environment, and will probably cut down on short-term fuel costs. SO if she likes that aspect of it, then the long-term cost might not matter.

Personally, I think the current Vue is not a great vehicle and the current generation is quite old -- to me, the CR-V is a much better choice, hybrid or not.

For two small kids and an occasional grandma, the CR-V makes a lot of sense. I commend you on not jumping into a bigger land-yacht SUV!
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Be carefull, The Hybrid Vue is a lot of hype, it's rated very low on fuel efficiency.
    Also be aware that in colder climates when you are running your heater or defroster your gas engine kicks in and you don't have the advantage of a hybrid, this is true on all makes.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies. This is the wife loving Vue fan. I think we will probably go with the CRV mainly because of reliability. I was not a fan of the road noise in the back seat while sitting with my son.
    The other issue I have is I can't find a dealer in the Seattle and outlying areas that will sell us this car for MSRP. They are all asking $1250-$4000 over MSRP. We don't need the car immediately as we have an Accord Wagon that works great.
  • Options
    crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    AAA just reported on the mini SUV,s and from what I read it seems the CRV rated overall the best... Most common complaint AAA said that has been addressed for 2007 is the road noise issue. AAA states: "much improved". Your other issue... I suggest copying some of these posts & take to your local dealers, show them that people are paying well under MSRP all over the country almost on a daily basis. Good luck on your quest :)
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Those over msrp prices are offensive!. Don't pay them! Just wait a few months the prices will come down.
  • Options
    snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    shoot, even if you just go through carsdirect.com, you can buy a CR-V for $200 under invoice in the seattle area. so, i imagine, you can do even better with a little legwork. often, dealers slap on additional markup on the sticker so you'll feel like you're getting a great deal when you talk them down. also, when they sense you're serious, they'll be quick to deviate from those ridiculous prices. the problem is, there are plenty of people that will walk in and pay whatever the window price is.

regarding the vue, your wife should be aware that the current design is pretty dated. it is actually in it's last year and i think the newly redesigned 2008 models will be out very, very soon. car and driver says spring. http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/12045/2008-saturn-vue.html even if she prefers the old design, resale value will plummet.
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Welcome!

My sister in law has an '06 Vue. The "Steer by wire" is very different and seems to make most of the road input out of the steering wheel. Seems dangerous to me.

It is a nice looking car and has the Pilot V6 under the hood. I runs real strong but it somehow seems cheap in ride and interior. I believe our 03 CR-V has more space in the back seat. If I had to keep for 10 years I wouldn't trade our CR-V for it.

I agree with another poster. It takes a l-o-n-g time to get your money back in a hybrid! Several links (URLs) have been posted which address that subject.

Kip
  • Options
    I gotta try a Buck knife. Wife still complaining. (See above)

BTW dewaltdakota yes the beard burn is a bit more than desired. I don't even think about aftershave. :cry:

Kip
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I drove a Vue Redline. If the Greenline has the same electric power steering I'd pass. Vague as anything. The seats are also under-padded, especially the rear seat.

Motorweek tested a group of small SUVs and their Vue Greenline only got 1 mpg better than their CR-V did. Barely worth mentioning the gas you (supposedly) save.

-juice
  • Options
    guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    What you experienced is called the Helmholtz resonator and it happens in a lot of cars.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Acoustics/Flow-induced_oscillations_of_a_Helmholtz_- resonator
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It is a nice looking car and has the Pilot V6 under the hood. "

Pilot V6 is gone for 2007, replaced by a Chevy power plant.
  • Options
    Yep, the new Vue gets the 3.6l GM mill from the Outlook/Acadia.

No more Honda engines.

I'm surprised Saturn milked that deal for that long. I believe GM gave Honda a few diesel engines for Europe, but that stopped a while ago since Honda makes their own diesels now. Not sure how GM managed to extend that deal.

-juice
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Yep, the new Vue gets the 3.6l GM mill from the Outlook/Acadia.

No more Honda engines. "

FWIW, it was also a Honda Pilot AWD transmission.
  • Options
    We bought the CR-V!
    Picking it up tomorrow after work. Found it for MSRP and they had the exact one we wanted. We're excited.
    I wish there was a diesel in the cars here like they have in Europe. When do you think that will happen?
  • Options
    sgrigorysgrigory Member Posts: 17
    I need to put a receiver hitch on my 2007 CRV-EXL.

It's primarily for a swing-out bike rack. The rack I've chosen is for the the larger sized receiver.

Has anyone here installed this, (even in the smaller size) on their CRV?

I have shopped at a shop the sells just racks/receivers/etc, U-Haul and the dealer. I've not seen a CRV with a receiver installed and I'm looking to find one that doesn't stick out too far, doesn't look crappy, etc.

Any feedback or experiences appreciated.

Thanks...
  • Options
    greenteacrvgreenteacrv Member Posts: 22
    I installed a Curt Hitch with the 2" drawbar opening. The hitch mounted right up, is way cheaper, and far sturdier than the Honda factory hitch.

">Dennis
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I think the CRV will get a diesel in Fall '08.
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Here's pics of the Curt Brute 2.5 (2") receiver, installed on a 2007 CR-V:

Credit goes to GreenTeaCRV, over on another board, for the pics...
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Only, they didn't work :cry:
  • Options
    Refresh the page... I've been working on the links. :blush:
  • Options
    Now they are just BIG empty spaces, with the red x in the corner. I'm not trying to pick on you :) , but just letting someone know (it may not be your fault/problem) the pictures aren't working. :)

I for one do not care much about the pics (we don't have a CR-V anymore) but I'm sure those interested in the rack you were talking about would want to see.
  • Options
    Not a problem... I had to make adjustments to the links, to get them to work in both Firefox and IE.
  • Options
    Ah, I see. Have a good evening (and I REALLY wasn't trying to be a pest) :D
  • Options
    Really? I would have waited a year. Though I don't know much about honda diesels.
  • Options
    stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I had a u-haul hitch on my forrester that I just traded for the crv. On that model car you only saw the receiver part under the bumper. I don't know how their new one will look, but I'd like to wait to see.
  • Options
    Apparently, U-haul does have a receiver out for the 2007 CR-V.

Hitches for a 2007 Honda CR-V
    Hitch#: 78221
    Type: Round
    Class: 3
    Max weight: 4000
    Max distribution weight: N/A
    Finish: Black
    Price: $124.95

Now, we just need to convince someone to buy and install one, so we can see what it looks like! :shades:
  • Options
    "Yep, the new Vue gets the 3.6l GM mill from the Outlook/Acadia.

No more Honda engines. "

FWIW, it was also a Honda Pilot AWD transmission.

OH wonderful! That should be a great leap forward for GM! :sick:
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I have seen several hitch photos for the RDX (which as you may know is the platform cousin of the CR-V). Hidden-Hitch looks the best -- you only see the receiver poking out. The other hitches (including the Acura hitch) stick out like the one shown above and are kind of ugly. Definitely check out Hidden-Hitch options for the CR-V. I believe Draw-Tite is also fairly well hidden.
  • Options
    It pays to have a sense of humor. I'll stop in this week and ask them if they know what it looks like.
  • Options
    Actually, I was impressed with the powertrain in the Saturn Outlook.

That engine is also shared with the Caddy CTS, and has been well received in that car.

I wouldn't automatically assume it's a disadvantage, especially given it was the Honda tranny mated to the 3.5l that had lots of problems in recent years (up to '04 or so).

-juice
  • Options
    Time will tell. :)

Kip
  • Options
    pegwinkspegwinks Member Posts: 13
    Really, $200 under invoice? That would be approximately $2,000 off sticker? Just curious. . . .
  • Options
    jerry kjerry k Member Posts: 45
    I think he means $200 under MSRP! There is no way you're getting this car under invoice - after its popularity has grown!
  • Options
    pegwinkspegwinks Member Posts: 13
    That's what I thought he meant, but I wanted to check. Thanks.
  • Options
    swordfish555swordfish555 Member Posts: 28
    Recently took delivery of a 2007 CRV EX-L (Silver/Black interior) after waiting 2 months (4 miles on the odometer). After reading some of the posts here I was alittle skeptical, ie, windshield distortion, leaks, noises, etc. I have found absolutely no problems. This car is the most solid I have ever owned. Plenty of power (at least for my needs). Not a noise or rattle anywhere. I am extremely pleased with this car and would recommend it highly.
  • Options
    Congratulations. :shades:

-juice
  • Options
    Congrats, and welcome to the family! :shades:
  • Options
    Hey everyone,
    This has happened to my wife twice since we have had our new CRV. It seems to happen only on a cold engine (sits o/nite) She turns key, all dash lites on as normal, while in crank position (engine start) an electrical buzzing noise seems to come from upper steering column near headlite switch area & vehicle will not turn over. She proceeds to restart & all is fine. I personally have not experienced this issue as of yet. Everyone my apologies in advance I know this is vague... Anyone have any thoughts/ideas??. Thank's in advance :confuse:
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    A couple of thoughts . . .

First, I have an Isuzu Trooper that used to exhibit these symptoms (minus the buzzing) when the shift interlock was not fully engaged. I had to ensure that the v ehicle was solidly shifted into park or the interlock would disable the starter. Check to see that you have shifted solidly into park and used the parking brake.

Second, you may have a defective battery and the buzzing is coming from the starter solenoid. This sound would typically not come from the steering column, but a weak battery can cause this symptom with the starter solenoid or relay. Have Autozone or your dealer slap a load tester ont he battery.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    A loose battery cable connection or loose wire on the starter can cause a buzzing sound. Sometimes an Ozone odor will also be present from the arcing..

Kip
  • Options
    Thank's Tom,
    Good Tip, I will have the Mrs. make sure shifter is fully in the park position. I did not consider battery as vehicle is only 2 months old with less than 1800 miles, from what I can get from her it doesn't sound typical of a battery & as previously mentioned very intermittant. But I agree with you (having seen a few new batteries actually fail) a load test would be a good starting point. In all likelyhood this is one of those situations that will have to manifest itself with more frequency to really narrow down proplem. Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    kyusskyuss Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I are proud owners of an '01 Accord and an '06 Ridgeline. We have been going back and forth for some time between the CR-V and Element (both EX 4WD models)to replace the (2 door)Accord once kids are in the picture. Well we just recently found out that we are going to be parents for the first time so we need to make a decision a little sooner. Here's my question does anyone have experience with both vehicles and an infant... which vehicle is best for loading/unloading a car seat etc.? I have figured at this point the Element would be better without the pillar in the way. As far as we know, both vehicles get almost the same rating based on CR findings. Oh yeah, need to occasionaly haul a 115 lb rottweiler and 85lb lab...is there plenty of room in the back of the CR-V for dogs this size with the seats up (regardless of their spaztic and chaotic behavior)? Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    On the road the CR-V will get better mileage and be a little quieter inside.

Other than that I like the Element. We have a Mixed Doberman (65#) and a Bouvier des Flandres (90#). Both are Females.

The Doby is getting a little age on her and can't jump into the back of the CR-V. She has to be lifted. I'm getting a little age on me, and we struggle.

I believe with the rear side door open on the Element and the seat folded out of the way, it would be low enough for her to get in on her own.

There is enough room in our 03 CR-V but I just think the Element would be roomier for the "girls".

I've always liked the utility aspect of the Element. Down side is that it is a 4 person vehicle. Up side is that if you need to carry 5 you can use the Ridgeline.

Congratulation on the upcoming blessed event. If possible, attend the birth. It is something you will cherish forever.

Kip
  • Options
    snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    which vehicle is best for loading/unloading a car seat etc.? I have figured at this point the Element would be better without the pillar in the way.

first off, congrats! kids are awesome fun. but, as to your question, the element may not have the pillar in the middle BUT the rear seats are much farther back from the door opening than in the CR-V. trust me on this, it will be much more of a strain on your back when you're stooped over trying to manuever that car seat into place. and, really, the safest seating position for baby is in the middle of the rear seat...the element doesn't have a middle seat.
  • Options
    Not only that, but also when they grow up and you want to drop them off, you have to open the front door first to open the rear door. On 2006 and earlier models you'd even have to remove the front seat belt just to drop off rear passengers.

The 07 addresses that last issue with seat belts built-in to the seat.

Still, I think the CR-V is more kid friendly. The Element is good for singles and empty nesters.
  • Options
    Just to add to your decision, the CRV's rear doors open to a 90 degree angle with the body (unsure if Element has this feature) makes loading kid's and dog's a lot easier. Good luck with your hunt. :)
  • Options
    Congrats. Start a new subject so everyone can see it:
    Crv VS Element. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of responses.
This discussion has been closed.