Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Electrical Problems

Comments

• lildavidjaxlildavidjax Member Posts: 68
    Look under the driver's seat, that's where it is in my 93. I don't think they did much changing around. Might be easier to unbolt the seat and tip it back out of the way. Takes a 12mm wrench. Sure it's the security system draining the battery? :shades:
  • iguana79iguana79 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have almost the same problem with my 97 Pathfinder... Although the cigarette lighter is working, my compass and temp display is not.
    I am sure that it's not to be changed because when I start up the engine the temp/compass display does light up for a few seconds as if it were working but then it dies. There must be some electrical issue. Checked the fuse... they all look fine.

Have you fixed your problem?
    Please Help :cry:
  • 93pathfinder93pathfinder Member Posts: 2
    The following is not functioning: windows, radio, dash, cig lighter, brake lights,signal lights, yield lights, back wiper-- pretty much everything on in the fuse panel. Additionally, when test with a meter, I am getting pwr to the accessory relay, but I am not getting power to the individual fuses in the panel.

What does work: ignition, front wipers, headlights,light behind the clock although not the clock.

I am at a real loss as to what is going on here. I just replace my alternator, and I assume I have a short but don't know where to start looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
  • 93pathfinder93pathfinder Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever work out your electrical problem? I am having the exact same issue with my 93' PathSE Man 4x4.
  • rossphillips7rossphillips7 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the information on the contact point for the Lift Gate sensor. I didn't have any manuals and was playing with the lift gate for a couple of hours before I went online and found your post.

I was able to wrap a rubber band around the D-shaped post to thicken it and finally after a few months don't have my interiors lights staying on unintentionally and draining my battery... THANKS!!!
  • quelzquelz Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with my headlight, my driver side headlight does not go off after I turn the lights and ignition off. That was going on for a while now my headlights will not come on at all, but my taillights work fine. Could someone please help me. Thanks
  • countrygirl403countrygirl403 Member Posts: 4
    I am back with more issues on my 05 Pathfinder. On post #173 I explained issues I was having with vehicle not starting. After much research, I finally gave in and replaced the IPDM which every forum I could get on said would fix the issue. After I was finally able to get a new IPDM (due to back order issues) my car was running in Jan. Now, at the end of October my vehicle is once again running rough and not enough power to get speed up.Is anyone else out there having the same problems? I would appreciate any help I can get!
  • frashfrash Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same problem with my alarm on my 02 pathfinder. Also had issues with the dome light coming on when taking off from a stop and fading out (all the time). I'm also having issues with my door locks - if i lock the car (while inside it, both with the vehicle running and off) sometimes the locks will engage and immediately disengage. This doesn't happen all of the time and sometimes I am able to lock them afterward without issues. Other times I can try to lock it 10 times and it will continue to unlock the doors.

Any solutions come through for the alarm? My neighbors in this apartment complex hate me I'm sure!
  • lcplorbinatilcplorbinati Member Posts: 23
    Okay, I have had several unusual issues with my Pathfinder that I suspect are electrical

1- From the RPM Gauge to the right it goes out once and a while
    2- When it is 34 Degrees Fahrenheit or less the left turn signal will not blink properly when I press the breaks
    3- The Emergency Flashers no longer flashes when unlocking it with the remote/ Emergency Flashers and Horn no longer flash and beep when locking.

As far as the third problem I have checked and double checked all doors to ensure they are closed to see if that is the problem and they are all secured.

My friend who is a Mechanic thinks it is a "sneak circuit" I am not sure. Any one seen these issues before.

Thanks

Cpl Orbinati :confuse:
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    MAY 11, 2009 | Recall ID# 74354 Show Details

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
    DOPE, INC. IS RECALLING 42,540 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS....more details

MAY 11, 2009 | Recall ID# 74354 Hide Details

Recall Reason EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
    Recall Date MAY 11, 2009
    Model Affected PATHFINDER
    Potential Units Affected 42540

Recall SummaryDOPE, INC. IS RECALLING 42,540 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS.

ConsequenceDECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

RemedyDOPE, INC. WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER A FULL REFUND FOR THE NONCOMPLIANT COMBINATION LAMPS. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 28, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOPE, INC. AT 1-626-272-1798.

NotesDOPE, INC.

MAR 23, 2006 | Recall ID# 71587 Show Details

EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    CERTAIN PRO-A MOTORS CORNER LAMPS, TURN SIGNALS, AND HEADLIGHTS SOLD AS REPLACEMENT LAMPS FOR USE ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. SOME COMBINATION LAMPS THAT ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT....more details

MAR 23, 2006 | Recall ID# 71587 Hide Details

Recall Reason EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    Recall Date MAR 23, 2006
    Potential Units Affected 61944

Recall SummaryCERTAIN PRO-A MOTORS CORNER LAMPS, TURN SIGNALS, AND HEADLIGHTS SOLD AS REPLACEMENT LAMPS FOR USE ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. SOME COMBINATION LAMPS THAT ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.

ConsequenceWITHOUT THE AMBER REFLECTORS, THE VEHICLE WILL BE POORLY ILLUMINATED, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

RemedyPRO-A MOTORS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO REPURCHASE THE LAMPS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 3, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PRO-A MOTORS AT 323-838-2988.

NotesPRO-A MOTORS, INC.

SEP 18, 2007 | Recall ID# 50704 Show Details

FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, DURING THE COATING PROCESS OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY, AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF COATING MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED AT THE LOWER MOUNTING BRACKET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN OPENING IN THE COATING WHICH CAN ALLOW WATER TO ENTER AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL OF THE TUBE. ...more details

SEP 18, 2007 | Recall ID# 50704 Hide Details

Recall Reason FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
    Recall Date SEP 18, 2007
    Potential Units Affected 372250

Recall SummaryON CERTAIN VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, DURING THE COATING PROCESS OF THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY, AN INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF COATING MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED AT THE LOWER MOUNTING BRACKET. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN OPENING IN THE COATING WHICH CAN ALLOW WATER TO ENTER AND MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL OF THE TUBE.

ConsequenceTHIS MAY RESULT IN SURFACE RUST BUT NOT PERFORATION OF THE TUBE. HOWEVER, IN THOSE AREAS OF THE COUNTRY WHICH USE HEAVY CONCENTRATIONS OF ROAD SALT IN THE WINTER, IF A MIXTURE OF SNOW/WATER AND SALT MAKES CONTACT WITH THE BARE METAL, CORROSION MAY OCCUR TO A DEGREE WHICH RESULTS IN PERFORATION OF THE TUBE. IN THIS CASE FUEL LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR WHEN FILLING THE TANK. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

RemedyDEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY WITH A NEW ONE WITH AN IMPROVED COATING PROCESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 26, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

NotesNISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

AUG 30, 2001 | Recall ID# 10268 Show Details

STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. SOME OF THE BRACKETS USED TO ATTACH THE TWO GAS STRUTS TO THE REAR DOOR (HATCH) MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MADE. AT HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES, THE INCREASE IN GAS PRESSURE IN THE STRUT(S) COULD CAUSE ONE OR BOTH BRACKETS TO BEND, RESULTING IN THE STRUTS DETACHING FROM THE BRACKET(S) WHEN OPENING OR CLOSING THE REAR DOOR....more details

AUG 30, 2001 | Recall ID# 10268 Hide Details

Recall Reason STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    Recall Date AUG 30, 2001
    Potential Units Affected 31000

Recall SummaryVEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. SOME OF THE BRACKETS USED TO ATTACH THE TWO GAS STRUTS TO THE REAR DOOR (HATCH) MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MADE. AT HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES, THE INCREASE IN GAS PRESSURE IN THE STRUT(S) COULD CAUSE ONE OR BOTH BRACKETS TO BEND, RESULTING IN THE STRUTS DETACHING FROM THE BRACKET(S) WHEN OPENING OR CLOSING THE REAR DOOR.

ConsequenceIF BOTH STRUTS DETACH FROM THE BRACKETS, THE DOOR WILL RAPIDLY FALL DOWN, POSSIBLY STRIKING SOMEONE AND CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY.

RemedyDEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STRUT BRACKETS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN SEPTEMBER 24, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

NotesNISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.

APR 07, 2009 | Recall ID# 8721 Show Details

EXTERIOR LIGHTING
    SABERSPORT IS RECALLING 16,270 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED A
  • abc2010abc2010 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    2000 Nissan Pathfinder. Instrument panel lighting has been out for one year. Turn head lights on and the radio and heat lighting goes out, turn head lights off and the radio and heat lighting goes on - however the blink intermintantly. Can not find a fuse for this, doubt is the light bubls. Becasue of the blinking radio and heater lights thinking this a electrical board. Any help out there?
    ARE THEY BLINKING AS IF CONNECTED TO THE FLASHER relay
  • jp15jp15 Member Posts: 1
    Took Pathfinder SE in last week for ecm relay recall and then had to have a belt and tensioner replaced today. Dropped it off to dealer and everything was fine. Picked it up and the turn signals and instruments on the main panel do not work at all. No Odometer, speedometer, etc.

Turned around in the parking lot and brought it right back to service. They are not able to diagnose the problem yet but are saying that it isn't related to any work they had done. I have never had any problems in the past up until this point.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
  • leahynpleahynp Member Posts: 1
    Everything about my turn signals has stopped working, inside and out. I have checked the fuses and they are not the problem. I do have a bulb out(front, driver's side) and have ordered a replacement, but this wouldn't make the other lights or inside blinkers not work, would it? All other lights are working properly. I can't test the emergency flashers because they haven't worked in a while(fuse blows every time when turning on the car after changing it). I don't know if it's related, but this problem started last week when we had several days in a row of below negative temperatures. Thanks!
    Most likely it's the combination switch. (The switch that controls both the lights and turn signals) It's a pretty simple fix with no special tools. This fix was posted by "Switchfixer" back in these forums. You may have to search way back (a few years) But he did a GREAT job explaining how to do this simple fix. It also may be something as easy as replacing the relay that makes the blinkers blink. Hope this helps. Post back if you can't find it. :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2011
    I think this is the post:

switchfixer, "Nissan Pathfinder Electrical Problems" #79, 18 Mar 2008 7:58 am

I have a similar switch in my '99 Quest and it was replaced under warranty early on. The other day the turn signals quit but simply shutting the van off and restarting it seemed to fix it (don't remember flipping the switch but maybe I did).

Next time I'll try Switchfixer's trick. My power window switch carboned up too and they are hard to get at to try to clean.
  • me007me007 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Pathfinder and it has started to do the same thing. At first my husband insisted that I must have hit the lock on the remote from inside the house. However, if I had done that - the horn would have blown and we would have noticed the LOUD noise coming from the garage. Several times I have come out to find the doors locked. A few weeks ago I was getting out of the car and realized I had forgotten something, so I leaned back in when all of a sudden the doors locked and the two front windows went partially down.....the key was not in the ignition and nothing was near the window/door lock buttons. My remote doesn't have any connection to the windows. Today, I left my car as normal, unlocked and when I returned the front windows were down and the doors were locked. I too am thinking this car is haunted. My last Nissan - a Quest- the doors would lock and unlock randomly as I was driving. What is going on? Please help.
    In my 2003 manual about the remote, if you press and hold the unlock button for 5 seconds it does lower the windows ,may be check into this and reprogram your remote. its worth a try.
    I discovered that my problems with my pathfinder was just an issue with the electrical circuits.

From the bill:

"Found blown at cont fuse"

which when they replaced that fuse it fixed as far as my problems I listed above.

I also could not start the vehicle, which caused me to have it towed out to the dealer where they found the cont. fuse blown and a few others. :shades:
  • bertphilabertphila Member Posts: 2
    Any suggestions on getting this door opened? Passenger side-door will not open and I cant replace the door latch unless I can get it open. The outside handle is blowing in the wind, the inside door release: no effect. Mechanical lock/unlock has no effect. Electric lock/unlock has no effect.
    All other door latches and locks behave normally (mechanical and electric). 1998 Pathfinder
  • bertphilabertphila Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    I found the problem. The outside door latch had rusted and frozen in an intermediate position, blocking efforts to release door latch.
    To get the door to open: I took an "L" shaped skinny rod and was able to push it down thru a square hole along the bottom of the fixed portion of the side window inside the car. I was able to manually bear down on this L shaped rod and push down the release on the latch mechanism to open the door. I got lucky.
    I took out the outside door pull and sprayed it and worked it with 10w-40. It seemed to work out okay. Just FYI: If you remove the outside door pull, the connecting metal rod will come out with it. You will not be able to reinstall it into the catch mechanism, below, unless you remove the door panel and guide it from inside the door.
  • kmt10kmt10 Member Posts: 3
    I have a couple of issues that I need some help on:
    1. occasionally, when you press the brake pedal, the headlights, dash lights etc do dim.

2. Ocasionally, when you initially turn on the head lights, all gauges on the dash light up and then go out.

I have replaced the altenator and battery but with the same results as mentioned above

Also, I have had to pull out the radio fuse to prevent the battery from being drained.

Does anyone know or can anyone help me with these issues?
    I had mine checked when I blew one of my in-line fuse between my starter and battery. I found out that I had a few other blown in-line fuses. Have your vehicle checked by a dealership... mine cost me $50.00 to find it and fix the two or three that were blown.

Cpl Orbinati
    i have checked all the fuses and none of them are blown
    You checked all the inline and regular.. I dont know how the 1997 was but my 2001 has a bunch of in-liners that were causing me some crazy ones.
    where were the inline fuses? what circuit were they in, starter, altenator or what?
    idk exactly were they are at.. thats why I said take it to a dealer.. they can look it up and if that is the problem it will be like 50 bucks... I know that can be a lot but I got SO much for the money..

I know I have an inline fuse between the starter and the battery but I dont know were it is or any of the others.
  • elpantherelpanther Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I have an 01 LE with just over 260k. Love it but it's starting to cause me issues. The latest being that from time to time while driving if I rest my are on the driver's side door my dome light comes on as if the door is open. Not only that, but if I unlock the door then try to lock it, it won't lock. I have to take my arm off the door or pull the door towards me and lock at the same time.

At first I was only having a problem locking when the window was down but now it is to the point that I have to lean slightly on the door to lock it when leaving it in order to set the alarm. Sometimes while driving (window up or down) the dome light comes off and on. No real rhyme or reason that I can see.

Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • fromo1946fromo1946 Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 Pathfinder shows a door open indicator light on the dash panel. I removed the fuse now the clock and radio have to be re-set everytime I sart up. I didn't pay attention to this and it drained the battery down this week-end. It sets off the alarm when I lock the vehicle so, what to do, I don't know....
    Sounds to me like the "pin" switch in the driver's door is worn out. Easy fix and not expensive either! Locate the switch (it may have rubber cover on it, but given your Pathfinder's age probably not) Simply unscrew the phillips head screw and the whole switch will come out. Be careful not to disconnect the wire and let it fall into the frame! You should not remove it unless you are going to replace the switch. (just so you won't take a chance on dropping the wire into the frame for no reason) Get a new switch from the dealer.
    Hope this helps!
  • kinn1kinn1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. Today, as I was driving, the lights on the dash flashed on and then off severl times. I got home, turned the engine off..now the vehicle won't start. HELP!
  • kikomookokikomooko Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the heads-up, took your advice and fixed the issue. Thanks again,
    you may of blown an inline fuse... have it towed to a dealer (or good general mechanic) and have them test the electrical system.
  • angrypathangrypath Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    So, my wonderfull Pathfinder was working fine untill I had the radiator/tranny replaced (out of pocket :mad: ) Have had an electrical problem ever since. Work was done by Nissan. A week after the tranny was put in, my battery drained. Had a tech look at it, said there was a drain somewhere, possibly the BCM.

Took it back to Nissan, after about a week, they thought it was related to my aftermarket Headunit (Alpine, professionally installed) and or the alarm (Viper, professionally installed). Had those in the truck since I bought it, never any issue untill now. So they disconnected both and clamied the draw was gone. Nope.

Week later, battery dead. Put it on the charger for a day and limped it back to the Nissan stealership. After a day or two of diagnosis, they come back with the drain being related to the instrument cluster and BCM. The shop foreman supposedly says that when the tranny went, the valve body shorted out some electronics so its not directly related to the work they performed. (Oh really ?)

Fast forward 2 weeks in the shop now, with a new BCM and guage cluster. According to them, everything was looking good, truck started right up and to come down to get it. Guy calls back 10 minutes later and says they dont want to release it just yet, still having an electrical issue.

I think they screwed something up real good when they did the tranny/radiator replacement. I basically paid an hour shop time to have them disconnect my radio and alarm, had to buy two electrical components that probably weren't the cause of my problem and I still have no truck. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Find me on twitter @AngryPath
  • offroad0228offroad0228 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 92 Pathfinder Sunday for the first time in about 3 months, all was well,and while coming home, all of a sudden all the gauges except the speedometer died. So did the horn, the headlights and the heat. Decided to go straight home, and when I turned off the car, couldn't get the key to come out of the lock. The last time the key thing happened was last Thanksgiving, and it turned out that one of the cables off the battery was cracked and was shorting out. Gratefully I had a neighbor who fixed it for me (don't live in the same place anymore). Could this be another cable or something else? :sick:
  • nakamanakama Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 94 pathfinder (as is) and everything worked fine for 2days. today my drivers side window won't roll up or down but the weird thing is that when I push the button I hear a single click (with each button push) but it is coming from the passenger side. I can't tell if its in the door or dash. all other Windows work fine. any thoughts?
  • nakamanakama Member Posts: 2
    also I looked for blown fuses but did not find any. actually I didn't even find one that said window but I also figured that if a fuse was blown I would not hear the single click.
  • bear37909bear37909 Member Posts: 1
    This is a feature that is a part of Nissan.If you hold your button on fab down for a few seconds..the windows go down.
  • nero8762nero8762 Member Posts: 1
    So I bought 1997 Pathfinder, for $300. The previous owner said the alternator went up. Before I replaced anything, I jumped it and it fired right up. Then died shortly after (bad alternator). I replaced the alternator and battery. She fired right up, drove 'bout 15 mi. home, then the next day took her out again for about 7 mi. & she died. Prior to dying with the headlights on, the ABS light came on, the airbag light came on, heater shut itself off, windshield wipers got real slow, came to a stop & she died. I got a quick jump from my daughter, and made it home (bout 5 mi.). Got home from work tonight, started it up and all was ok for about 5 minutes just sitting there. Then the ABS light comes on, airbag light comes on, then she dies. I am thinking its a bad alternator, but the Brand new battery had only been run for 90-120 minutes, tops. After reading alot of these types of forums I see there are other electrical relays and fuses that can go as well with this type of situation
    Any help with this is greatly appreciated, as this is our only car for work and errands. And I have to fix it myself to save money.
    Jack
  • pathfindertrblpathfindertrbl Member Posts: 2
    so Ive read most of these forums on the running light issues and have taken action with the solutions given. I pulled off my turn signal switch and bent the conn. leg back to a connection. I only get the chime noise but no dash lights. I have pulled my instrument cluster out checked bulbs, fuses, etc. but i still can not get the dash lights to turn on. I just dont think the switch is bad if the noise comes on but the dash lights wont. Any help?
  • pathfindertrblpathfindertrbl Member Posts: 2
    BTW it is a 94 Pathfinder
    Okay for anyone that had the issues I mentioned above I found most of the issues... or at least causes of them:

Issue 1- Unknown... I havent seen this one in a while, I think I got it fixed a long time ago without knowing it.

Issue 2- Short and burn out in the tail light harness- replaced harness and all bulbs and it seems to be fine now.

Issue 3- Fixed after the mechanics found a burned out in-line fuse.

Right now I just had an ignition switch go out causing full start failure and it is fixed... i found out after that there was a fuel system problems, Im having the fuel pump and filter replaced and hopefully my truck will back to normal.
  • nesreynesrey Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 99 pathfinder. Recently my check engine light came on, so I
    Connected the reader to the data link connector on the car, but it
    Won't read. Could it be a fuse? If anyone has any suggestions please let me
    Know. Thanks.
  • swampthing57swampthing57 Member Posts: 1
    disconnected the radio antenna power,when I reconnected antenna will not run, my remote door will not work unless the ignition key is turned on. How can I reset things?
    edited June 2012
    Okay issue #1 (random instrument panel going out) is still around

and now I have a few more issues

1- Can not cold start all the time and get it to stay running (stalls immediately to 2 seconds after starting).

2- Lost all control of the blower, ie... cant turn it off or control fan speed. Mech friend of mine suggested it could be blower motor resistor or Fan speed amplifier.

3- P0740 Check engine code- TCC Solenoid Circuit failure. The latest mechanic has suggested its the "lock up Solenoid" needing to be replaced. I am aiming to get it replaced but if any of you have seen this before.

4- Getting burned smell from air conditioner after idling for 5 minutes or so. have to put it on inside air to fix. Think it might be dead bugs stuck around intake, or burning wiring somewhere in the electrical issue.
  • saleemsahabsaleemsahab Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot Model 2002. When I turn the ignition on at times I find no power, no security blinking light, no dash board lights, no door light, no radio and no horn.This goes for 15 to 30 minutes and then the power comes back all of a sudden and and I am able to start the vehicle and I have to reset its clock also.I have been having this problem for last 3 weeks, also showed it a mechanic who just taped some wires which didn't help.Could any body kindly suggest what could be the possible reasons.
    Regards,
    Saleem
  • saleemsahabsaleemsahab Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot Model 2002. When I turn the ignition on at times I find no power, no security blinking light, no dash board lights, no door light, no radio and no horn.This goes for 15 to 30 minutes and then the power comes back all of a sudden and and I am able to start the vehicle and I have to reset its clock also.I have been having this problem for last 3 weeks, also showed it a mechanic who just taped some wires which didn't help.Could any body kindly suggest what could be the possible reasons.
    Regards,
    Saleem
    I just had a similar issue with my 01 LE (Started after 144k). At times I will go in as normal to start it and it shuts off like there is no power left in it.. leave the key in it (just inserted not turned) and come back 3-5 minutes later and it starts fine.

I dont know if anyone on this page has seen this happen but I also am experiencing issues shifting out of park at random times. As in i hit the break and the shift lock will not release so I can shift.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I love my car but its starting to get to the point were its time to part with her. :(

Cpl Orbinati :confuse: :(
  • loriw23loriw23 Member Posts: 1
    So, I have an 01 Pathfinder that has a brand new battery, new cables and a good alternator (both have been tested by more than one place). Corrosion had built up on the "old" battery (it was less than a year old) and it wouldn't start. Replaced the battery and the cables and less than a month later, corrosion again and it won't start. I can jump it and drive it with no issue. Park it and try to start it the next day - no go. The dash lights up but it won't crank. Another possible piece of the mystery - sometimes the dash lights go out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • pegasus5pegasus5 Member Posts: 1
    2008 SE Offroad - Stopped the car and tried to start it, it turns over but won't catch. Had it towed to a shop and they are trying to determine if it's electrical. Fuel pump works. Mechanic thinks it could be related to security system and it does act like I'm not using a key with a chip. This is the second time this has happened. First time the tow truck driver banged on the gas tank and it fired up. But as I said fuel pump checks out ok

Any thoughts are appreciated...