Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V at the Beach

whit7whit7 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
I'm a novice at off-roading and i'm considering a CR-V 4x4. Since the Honda doesn't have a 'locking' feature, will it be adequate in the sand at the beach?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I'm a novice at off-roading and i'm considering a CR-V 4x4. Since the Honda doesn't have a 'locking' feature, will it be adequate in the sand at the beach?

It is not 4x4 but AWD and yes, it can handle the sand with tires aired down and driver knowing what he is doing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just watch those tides. :shades:

mac24, "Land Rover LR3" #3746, 12 Jul 2006 11:23 am
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How about sand that is not at the beach? These are the dunes near us - St. Anthony, ID:

You don't have to worry about tides! :)

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bruneau Dunes State Park near my side of Idaho is the tallest single-structured sand dune in North America (470 feet). No vehicles allowed although you can hike up and ski or snowboard down. I did see a Lincoln Continental get stuck in some sand at a roadside pullout there one time. :D

St. Anthony looks like a bigger area than Bruneau; need to check that out. It's been years since I've been to Great Sand Dunes NP down in Colorado - it's a great spot too.
  • jimc67jimc67 Member Posts: 2
    which gear is best for beach driving- 4w Lo or 4w High - orwhen do you use each gear
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    This is a CR-V forum. Ain't no 4W-Lo.

The answer is - it depends. One issue is that most manufacturer nowdays are playing protect us from ourself game and would not allow to engage lockers in 4-Hi, and that may be a must.

Brake based limited slip differentials are not a good answer. You may want to lock your rear - and limit slip in center.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The first gear in the manually shifted CR-V tops out at about 10-15 mph, which is low enough to be a low gear.
    The first gear in the manually shifted CR-V tops out at about 10-15 mph, which is low enough to be a low gear.

Low gear is a feature of the transfer case, not of the transmission. This is an important distinction, as it allows larger torque to the driveshaft that the transmission is rated for. It will lower all gears, typically by a factor of 2 to 4. 1st gear on CR-V is nowhere near the needs for off-roading, nor is the low end torque available. You will fry the clutch - without the real 4Lo in transfer case. Also - even as the manual transmission may have lower crawl ratio, automatic is effectively adding torque converter ratio to it, so it crawls even better. Until you fry the transmission without the enhanced cooling that is.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Low gearing is made possible by a 2 speed transfer case, but all it does is provide additional mechanical advantage to the engine. It does not allow more torque to be applied to the driveshaft.

What is does is allow the engine to rev higher without turning the wheels faster. In high gears at 5mph, you might be turning the engine at something like 1,500 rpms. That's not an especially powerful spot in an ordinary engine's power curve. However, while in low gear at 5mph, the engine would turn at a higher rate (let's say 2,250 rpms). The higher rpm is likely to closer to the engine's peak output. Thus more torque at low speeds.

The 5MT CR-V does have a remarkable low first gear (and corresponding final drive). This is especially true of the 1st gen CR-V, but Gen 2 is also quite low. We compared the first Gen CR-V with the gearing a 2 speed tranny in a grand Vitara years ago and found that the CR-V's first gear was closer to L1 than it was to the Suzuki's H1.

The thing that makes automatics more desirable is control, not torque. The slushbox transfers power via a liquid medium and is not efficient. Torque is lost (wasted) during that transfer of power. However, because the transfer of power is done via a fluid connection, it is easier to modulate via the throttle. Aside from the fact that it is easier to work one pedal than two, you also don't have to worry (as much) about stalling the vehicle or applying too much power an accidentally lurching forward. With an auto, you trade a little power for a good deal more control.
    It does not allow more torque to be applied to the driveshaft.

Or yes, it does. That is the definition of "mechanical advantage". Brush up your high school physics.

Some pictures and write up here.

The rest of your post is just as clueless, sorry. Have even done any offroading?

P.S. Any automatic will have about half of a crawl ratio in most cars - for the reason of torque multiplication.

And, yes, you may need both feet with automatic as well: example. Also explain why automatics do not always give you more control, as you assert. Read up - not as good as some actual experience, but helps nevertheless.
  • yesterdayzyesterdayz Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to take the CRV on the beach without it getting stuck. It has 4 wheel drive, but I am assuming that is meant for slippery conditions, not beach driving. or am I wrong?

Anyone take there truck on the beach?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Just yesterday in Gearhart Oregon( between Seaside and Astoria). The CRV handles ok as long as you stay out of the deep sand as it is not made for that. It is better than a car but not a beachcomber not as good as my Forester.

MNF
  • birdog3birdog3 Member Posts: 3
    I have (2) 07- CRV 4wd - Other poster is correct (It is not made for deep soft sand.) I go to the outer banks (Hatteras,NC) often, and always had a True 4x4. Have taken my CRV out a few times for play and it did ok. Did get stuck once in very deep soft sand,(yes my air pressure was lowered to 19) plus had (4) adults.Asking alot out of a small engine. With low ground clearance and small hsp it is not made for real sand. I love it for regular driving and am very pleased with it so far.
This discussion has been closed.