Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Climate Control Questions

Comments

• riffraffriffraff Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the reply " robertsmx ". man, i hadn't checked back here since i posted my issue. i didn't receive an alert that anyone had responded to my particular issue. i did get an alert for the latest issue posted here. nonetheless, as you posted, for my particular issue, the heater and A/C control panel circuit board was the problem. i bought one from the local junk-yard for " fiddy " bucks and installed it myself. so " game over " 99' honda accord heater and A/C control panel ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just fyi, the email alert comes when any new post is added to the discussion, not just for a response to your post.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    As the title suggests thanks for responding. I was constantly in a state of OMG what is wrong because I kept getting the impression that these were normal commuting numbers for everybody. My car consistantly gets 27 and I thought there was something strange. Guess not.

Although with winter approaching and the defrosters going I expect the numbers to go down, especially since when the defrosters are on not only is it taking heat off the engine, which I've heard is bad for mileage, but also the A/C is on and running the compressor, which I've heard mixed responses on.

So again thanks.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    tankbeans,

Dudley posted this earlier, and I assume he'd be okay with me pasting it on here. If you'd like to use the defroster WITHOUT running the A/C (as when just de-icing the windshield), here are the steps to allow you manual control of the A/C when the defrost choice is selected. Stock, you cannot manually turn off the A/C when the vents are set on defrost. The compressor will keep running, even though the light turns off. Using this "hack," YOU control the A/C.

1) With vehicle on, push the airflow button for "top vent".
    2) Shut car off.
    3) Turn temp knob to the coldest setting
    4) Turn fan off
    5) How down both "Air Recirculation" button and "AC" button. With both buttons depressed, turn key to "ON" position. (don't need to actually start the car) Keep holding the buttons down for at least 7 seconds.
    6) The AC and Air Recirculation lights will light up and flash at different points during the 7 second hold-down.
    7) When the air recirculation light stops flashing, release the two buttons.

Now you have full control over the AC. When you hit the Defog button, the AC light will now illuminate. You can now shut it off if you so desire and get Defog air without AC!

Thanks again dudleyr!
    Does this have to be re-done periodically and does the car automatically reset to the factory option as soon as it's shut off? Are there any negative consequences to performing this little "hack," as you called it?
    Both answers are a definitive 'NO' to the best of my knowledge.

The A/C still automatically comes on when you select defrost. The only difference is that this time the A/C light comes on, and you have the option of turning it off.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have been running the a/c 'hack' for several months with no issues. Not only does the car stay hacked, it even remembers that the a/c is off. I usually run with foot/defog most of the winter, and dont have to worry about the a/c coming on when it is above freeziing.

What prompted this was 3.5 hour trip in the rain at 50 degrees. The a/c ran the whole time, when at that temp, and for that distance the heat/defog would have been fine.

Keep in mind that the rest of the world is more frugal with gas than us. They would not stand for loss of control over the a/c. All we have done is make the car like most foreign Accords.

Grad - no problem reposting, the more that know the better. I did not discover this just dug it up from some older posts.
    Can you restore the factory settings if at any point you want to or do you need to disconnect the battery? I just want to make sure because that might have a small effect on resale value. Otherwise, I'll do it simply because I've never had a car with A/C on no matter what when the defog is on.

Don't mean to ask so many questions.
    Can you restore the factory settings if at any point you want to or do you need to disconnect the battery? I just want to make sure because that might have a small effect on resale value. Otherwise, I'll do it simply because I've never had a car with A/C on no matter what when the defog is on.

Don't mean to ask so many questions.

Hey buddy, how else can you learn other than by asking? Don't sweat it, and ask away.

I believe a battery disconnect/reconnect should do the trick, although honestly, I can't say for sure. Dudleyr, can you field this one?
    I think I finally figured it out, but I do have a question. When you say that the car 'remembers' that the A/C is off when you shut down the car do you also mean that it remembers when you choose a different ventiliation method (i.e. top vent, foot vent, mix vent)?

In other words if you turn on the defrost and shut off the A/C, then switch it to just top vent, then go back to defrost, does it also remember that the A/C is off then? Should it essentially act like my 95 did when I turned on the defrost and had to use A/C to dry the air?

Sorry if this is confusing. Sometimes I have trouble explaining myself.

If this is how it should work, then thanks for the tips. If this is way off, thank you anyway for trying to help. User error is common here. :)
  • felix_carfelix_car Member Posts: 16
    I4 automatic, LX, base options.

There are several options for the air: MAC AC, Body, Body&Feet, Feet, Feet&
    Windshield, Windshield.

The manual says when in Feet&Windshield or Windshield, the AC is
    automatically on, even thought the AC light is off, for anti-foggy purpose.

The manual also says that when it switches from Feet&Windshield or
    Windshield to Feet, the AC is still on. This sounds very strange/stupid.

The manual doesn't say for the Body, and Body&Feet. That means only Feet
    button has this stupid issue? In other words, when switching from
    Windshield or Windshield/Feet to Body or Body/Feet, the AC will
    automatically change to Off?

Any idea/suggestion?

thanks.
    Any idea/suggestion?

Not to sound impolite, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Any time you have it on Windshield (defrost) or defrost/heat, the A/C turns on to aid in defrosting the windshield. When you change the setting where you don't have defrost or defrost/heat, the A/C won't be on. That's normal and fairly standard for any car.

Mrbill
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I live in South Louisiana, and with the high humidity, the defrost just doesn't work without the A/C on. Two guys I know had Nissan trucks, and the A/C would not come on automatically, in defrost mode. They were baking themselves, because they had to have the heat way up to clear the windshield. They finally figured out the A/C being on, made all the difference.
    For the record there is a "hack" for the allowing the driver to have control over the A/C when in defrost or defrost/feet in 2003-2007 Accords equipped with manual A/C controls. If you like, I'll try and find the post and link it for you.
    Thanks, but I'm OK with the A/C coming on with the defroster. I have the Navi system, with auto air, so even if there was a hack, I'd rather not mess with it.

Mrbill
    Wouldn't help you then, it only works for the manual controls. :)

With the hack, A/C comes on automatically when you press defrost/feet or defrost. It allows you to turn it off if you want to though, much how the 1998-2002 Manual A/C works. I like it coming on automatically, but I also like the option to be able to turn it off.
    dont want to hack. Just want to figure out what is going on. thanks.
    Just want to figure out what is going on.

What is going on is, defrost/defog works much better with A/C on, so it is turned on automatically. I will usually only use the defrost/windshield mode until the windshield is clear, then switch back to dash/cooling or floor/heat.
    I4 automatic, LX, base options.

There are several options for the air: MAC AC, Body, Body&Feet, Feet, Feet&
    Windshield, Windshield.

The manual says when in Feet&Windshield or Windshield, the AC is
    automatically on, even thought the AC light is off, for anti-foggy purpose.
    (I understand this part, and it makes sense).

The manual also says that when it switches from Feet&Windshield or
    Windshield to Feet, the AC is still on. This sounds very strange/stupid.
    (this doesn't make sense. So I would like to make sure my understanding is correct).

The manual doesn't say for the Body, and Body&Feet. So when switching from
    Windshield or Windshield/Feet to Body or Body/Feet, will the AC automatically change to Off or not?
    (I would like to hear from experts here)
    What is going on is, defrost/defog works much better with A/C on, so it is turned on automatically. I will usually only use the defrost/windshield mode until the windshield is clear, then switch back to dash/cooling or floor/heat.

Here is the issue: when you switch back, the AC may still be on, even the indicator is not off. This is the issue I try to figure out!
    I would think if the A/C was on, before switching to defrost(windshield), it will go back to that setting. If it was off, I assume it would go back to that setting.
  • mikesidmikesid Member Posts: 29
    My A/C was blowing hot air yesterday morning and took it to the dealer this morning. Looks like road debris hit the compressor and they have to replace. Because it was road debris its not covered under warranty. I understand that because its something Honda can't control. However I just want to make sure and check to see if there is anything i can do to get it covered under warranty or if anyone knows of any faults or recalls that could help. Its a pretty expensive repair and could use the money. I just want to make sure that the dealer isnt trying to pull a fast one.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Do you recall such an impact? It would have been something noticeable that would make the hit to the compressor.
    I did about 60 miles of hiway driving. i tried to avoid, but did run over a plastic bag. i also drove on a dirt road but was not going that fast, very dusty and limited visibility. and im sure i hit a pothole with the right front tire on the hiway (not unusual for our hiways). when i drove home i didnt hit anything. i remember a musty odor when i dropped my grandpa off at his house. i turned the car off and spent a few minutes at his house. when i turned the car back on i noticed a hi pitch when the A/c was on. i turned it off and thought i noticed smoke (because when i stopped at the lights i could see it through my lights), but that could have been because of the dirt road. the next morning is when it blew hot air. it just seems weird to me.
    Are you sure it's the compressor that's bad? Did you mean to say Condenser?

The condensers in the front have been targets of road debris. The thin wall aluminum tubing doesn't take much of an impact to make a small hole.

I added 3/8" hardware cloth just behind the opening in the bumper in my 04 Accord. With it painted black, you would never know it's there unless you really looked closely. So far it has done it's job.

Mrbill
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Check with your auto insurance. The pothole you struck may be a hazard that is covered by insurance. Hope this helps.
    My A/C was blowing hot air yesterday morning and took it to the dealer this morning. Looks like road debris hit the compressor

Are you sure it was the compressor? Or the Condenser? The condenser is in front of the radiator, and can easily be damaged by a rock flying up from the road. The compressor would be harder for a rock (debris) to hit. If it was the condenser, and you travel down dirt/rocky roads, you may consider putting a (heavy duty) screen behind the bumper opening, to protect the condenser.
    Yes, it was the condenser (not very mechanically inclined, lol). When i brought it in this morning the service manager was telling me that he had a feeling that it was going to be the condenser because on most cars they are on the front. I thought it was pretty dumb to put such a fragile piece on the front where all the debris is at. but he told me that pretty much the only place to put it. even though i was going slow it must have been the dirt road i was on or the other car that passed me could have pushed some debris in the path.

I think i will invest in a heavy duty screen. expensive lesson to learn.
    It's just so easy for a rock to fly from a truck or car in front of you, and bounce right into the condenser through the large opening in the front bumper. There are screens sold to cover the opening from the back side of the bumper, but many of these aftermarket screens are only designed for looks. This is not the first time I've heard of this happening. I look at my condenser through the bumper opening often, and wonder if I should invest in the screen myself.
  • seekingperfectseekingperfect Member Posts: 8
    I'd much like the hack even though I don't believe for one minute that the compressor actually comes on. How could it be if indicator light is off (i.e., manual A/C)?

If this is indeed what is happening, I'd love to see that hack. I absolutely hate the idea that the manufacturer would feel obliged to do this. After all, warm air + defrost can usually defrost a window very nicely without A/C. Otherwise, how would cars have been able to function for decades without it?

MAK
    I don't know where you live, but here in South Louisiana, on a hot humid night, you don't want to use a lot of heat to defog your windshield. Living here, if you don't have the compressor to dry the air, you would have to use enough heat to bake chickens, and it takes about 5 times longer. A/C operation may not be necessary in Arizona, but in Louisiana it certainly is. When I was young we had cars without A/C, so we had to keep a towel handy to wipe the condensation off the windshield. Ahhh, the good ole days. :(
    I don't believe for one minute that the compressor actually comes on. How could it be if indicator light is off (i.e., manual A/C)?

Well, believe it my friend. Sit idling, with your fan on, vents set on face, A/C off. Then press defrost. You'll hear the A/C kick on. If you press the A/C button, it doesn't turn off. You can hear and feel this. The hack works.

And, along with elroy, I live in the South (Birmingham, AL) and second the comments about the heat!
  • seekingperfectseekingperfect Member Posts: 8
    That might explain why the engine revs lackluster from a start with defrost on! And I thought it was the sludge they use for oil for the first 7k miles. I've not been happy with the responsiveness of the 4cyl/AT so far (500 miles). My last car was a stick, but I needed to trade to accommodate my wife's inability to drive it.

Let me know if anyone finds the right wire to snip to keep that compressor off. I simply don't need it here in Chicago most days.
    There is a hack to make it user-selectable for defrost. If I had more time I'd try and locate it for you, but at the moment, I don't. Try searching "Hack" in the 2003-2007 Accord maintenance forum.
    I think it has changed for the 08 models. I remember seeing it in one of the manuals that came with my Accord that said if you don't want the AC on when using the other functions push on the AC on/off button till you see AC off and it should turn it off. But of course, you would have to do it every time (I guess?).
    The hack doesn't work on ANY models with auto climate control.
  • pawsforgoldenspawsforgoldens Member Posts: 4
    I have an 08 Accord Coupe. Which uses more gas? putting in on auto which uses a combination of AC, heat and fresh air? Or using the fan and temp at 79 or so. Even setting it at 79 it comes through cool and like it is using the AC. Which would be more fuel efficient to use? This is a EX-L V6.
    Its pretty simple; to be more efficient, turn A/C off manually.
    Unless you live in a cool area, the cold air coming through is with the AC on. The AC is on whether it reads AC On, AUTO, or even no read out at all. The only time the AC is off on the 08 (at least the EXL model) is when it reads "AC Off".
    I don't put the AC button on. I don't have the auto on. It says if you use the fan it is in semi auto mode. So how can the AC be working if I don'thave the button pushed on. I am new to climate control so don't quite understand it.
    My understanding from the owners' manual and other posts in Edmunds is that most other function on the climate control turn the AC on automatically that could not be obvious to you. the owners manual says the only time the AC is off is when the display reads "AC off".
    the owners manual says the only time the AC is off is when the display reads "AC off".

Bingo.

We had Auto climate control in our Honda for 6 years, this is true.
    WHILE BACKING OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY, THEN PUTTING THE CAR IN DRIVE I NOTICE LIKE A CLUNK OR CLICK GOING INTO DRIVE AND I DON'T MEAN THE AUTO LOCKING OF THE DOORS. THAT IS A DIFFERENT NOISE. IS THIS SOMETHING HONDA'S DO?
    WHILE BACKING OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY, THEN PUTTING THE CAR IN DRIVE I NOTICE LIKE A CLUNK OR CLICK GOING INTO DRIVE AND I DON'T MEAN THE AUTO LOCKING OF THE DOORS. THAT IS A DIFFERENT NOISE. IS THIS SOMETHING HONDA'S DO?

Yes, you can easily hear the transmission when shifting the gears.
  • rkukreja1rkukreja1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 1999 Honda Accord. Recently, the buttons on the Climate control panel stopped working. The round knobs controlling air flow into the car and the temperature are fine. It is just that I cannot control where air gets directed via those buttons. At the same time, the clock is not illuminated (the clock is fine). Would like to find out if there is a fuse or an electrical component controlling both (control panel and the clock light) has gone bad? if yes, where can I find it?

thanks
    rajesh
  • dolfinmarkdolfinmark Member Posts: 2
    I'm having I think the exact same problem. Clock no longer illuminated, and the climate control/air flow controls randomly turn on-and-off, or sometimes flashes on-and-off at seemingly fixed time intervals.

I didn't notice this problem until I changed the battery a few months ago, at which time the problems almost immediately started. Did you by chance change your battery prior to your problems? If so maybe that's our fix!!
    I was having similar problems with my car. The gauge display for P N D D3 2 1 would not light up, and when this happened the A/C lights would not work, and the A/C would not blow cold air. Turns out, I had a weak battery. Changed the battery, and it hasn't happened again (at least 1 year ago). IMO, you need to have the strongest battery you can afford for these cars. I don't think my second battery is going to last very long either. Optima is next.
  • rkukreja1rkukreja1 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to find out, if you were able to resolve the problem. I am having the same problem. thanks
    rajesh
  • doug9doug9 Member Posts: 6
    I was driving it last summer with heat blowing out and couldn't turn it off. I even recharged the freon with a kit. Well turned out to be something simple. I was tinkering around and pulled off the cool hot adjust switch. The inside of the knob was cracked. So when I was turning the knob, it was not actually turning the switch itself. So it was always in the hot position. How funny was that. I just replaced the knob and worked. I ended up selling the car a few months ago anyway.