Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• haplologyhaplology Member Posts: 28
    I am also very interested in this question.

I have a 2003 X5 3.0 with only about 29K miles on it. Warranty expires in December of 2006.

1) What extended warranty options are there
    2) Are they negotiable - What's a good price
    3) Do they really cover everything that the factory warranty covers, or am I gonna start getting raked over the dealer coals

Thanks!
  • adamsjr1adamsjr1 Member Posts: 4
    Recently (9 months ago) I brought a 2001 CPO X5 and after 9 months I'm starting to have issues regarding paint facking off.

After some research I found out that the vehicle's previous owner had gotten some bad body work done. After reporting it to the dealership they invetigated my problem and also had me take my vehicle to there body shop for an estimate. And now they have determind that since they did not see any problems when they CPO the car and they also contacted there BMW rep. and he also agreeded without the Service Manager and the BMW Rep. looking at the car.

So can anyone give me some advise on how to resolve my issue?

Btw
    I did contact the Customer Relations and they where no help what so ever.

Thanks. :sick:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Those questions should be asked in the general BMW X5 discussion or, even better, the Extended Warranties topic.

tidester, host
    Thanks,

I'll repost it there.
    Maybe you can help me out, here is my problem:

Recently (9 months ago) I brought a 2001 CPO X5 and after 9 months I'm starting to have issues regarding paint facking off.

After some research I found out that the vehicle's previous owner had gotten some bad body work done. After reporting it to the dealership they invetigated my problem and also had me take my vehicle to there body shop for an estimate. And now they have determind that since they did not see any problems when they CPO the car and they also contacted there BMW rep. and he also agreeded without the Service Manager and the BMW Rep. looking at the car.

So can anyone give me some advise on how to resolve my issue?

Btw
    I did contact the Customer Relations and got no where.

But for the most part I need some ideals on how and who else
    can I contact to help me resolve my problem
  • louchrislouchris Member Posts: 1
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH CONSTANT WATER COMING IN BACK FLOOR FROM SOMEWHERE, DEALER SAID IT WAS MEMBRANE NEEDED CHANGING SO DID THAT AND STILL IN CAME THE WATER, DONT KNOW WHAT DELIGHTS THEY WILL COME UP WITH NEXT WEEK WHEN ITS IN AGAIN FOR SAME REASON, THIS HAS ONLY HAPPENED TO ME SINCE nOV WHEN THE DEALER FITTED SIDE SILLS BUT SWEARS ITS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM? REALLY PUZZLED AS TO WHERE ITS COMING FROM NOT LONG BEFORE THE AUDIOS ARE AFFECTED! CHEERS ANYONE... lOUISE
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Do you have a sunroof? Rear sunroof drain being clogged could be a culprit. This is easily tested. If you open the sunroof you should see the drain in the back of the groove where the sunroof moves. You can pour a small amount of water in that drain and you should see it come out under the car in front of the rear wheel. You can also check at that time for water intrusion in the back...I assume you mean the footwells of the rear seats?

Door membranes was a good guess but I guess not :cry:
  • 09dobbs09dobbs Member Posts: 5
    Hi there,
    I was scrolling thru Edmonds and I found your post. It is very old but I was hoping you could help me with what seems to be the same prob I am having with my 2006 5x. I have had it to the dealer 4 times for a rattle/banging from the tailgate area. They have replaced the motor, lubed and oiled everything, tightened and untightended things and after a day I hear the noise. It is so aggravating after spending so much for the car!...My last car a Jeep Liberty was awesome!..no noise not service checks it was a great little SUV for half the price. I was wondering if your issue was ever remedied and info you could pass along would be great!
    Thanks
    Christine<, NJ
  • 09dobbs09dobbs Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    I have a 2006 x5 that has a constant rattle/squeak in the rear tailgate. I have had it in the shop 4 times. They have replaced the latch motor, lubed and oiled everything, tightened all bolts and whatever else they could. I am at wits end with this car. Anyone have this issue that could pass along how they fixed it or any tips on what I can do!.....HELP
    C
  • dkdriverdkdriver Member Posts: 26
    Could anyone with an 07 X5 tell me what type of city/highway mileage you are getting? The 6th gear is supposed to be increasing gas efficiency. Especially interested in V6's, as we do little mountain climbing or off roading.

Also very interested in whether you have any opinions on your 3rd row seat - is it roomy enough for your needs? Is there any cargo space left if 3rd seat is upright?

Also, does anyone know when the auto liftgate will be available? Thanks so much!! :shades:
  • thstonethstone Member Posts: 6
    The third row seat is basically a kids jump seat - its a gimmick and not very useful. The problem is that there just isn't enough length in the car for three full rows.

The 2007 model only gained 7.4 inches in overall length from the 2001-2006 models (which had 29 inches existing between the 2nd row seats to the tailgate), so it is basically impossible to fit a full size thrird row with 34 inches of leg room and leave adequate distance behind the third row and the tailgate for safety in rear end collisions.
  • averagecarguyaveragecarguy Member Posts: 11
    The third row is good for only two kids. It's narrow and designed for individuals only 5'6" and shorter. Biggest drawback is that it is very close to the back glass, and curtain airbags don't extend to the third row. Not where I'd want to put my kids.
  • h2edgh2edg Member Posts: 1
    try adjusting the rubber stops you will need a star driver and just wind them out slightly.
  • rkrostinrkrostin Member Posts: 2
    Gas mileage is about 18-19 in the city. I havnt had the opportunity for a trip out of the city yet (that is end of May). Truthfully the gas mileage is still increasing too. When we bought the car 2 months ago my wife was getting about 16 and now we are in mid 18 with no driving difference either.

Addressing the 3rd row option, from the two replies so far i would say those individuals dont own the car. Thier responses are a copy and paste from some review or just a 5 min. observers take. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old But we also have alot of family close by and many of which are kids. The need for us was 80% use without 3rd row and 20% use with it. With the 2nd row adjusted forward there is enough room in the back. My sister in-law has an explorer with a 3rd row bench seat option and the space difference is non. there is enough space behind the 3rd row to fit basic things but wouldnt suffice for a trip to Costco. Does fit a large size stroller though. No concern what so ever with the 3rd seat being close to the glass because the seats sit very low. This is my biggest complaint at the same time. The seats are positioned much lower then the other seats so my 4 year old and even my niece who is 7 can not see over the seat in front of them.

If your needs are for a full time 3rd row then i would consider something larger.

Personally i love the X5. i have friends with the MDX and family with the explorer and spent months test driving and weekend driving everything out there and for me it is a perfect fit.
  • cefuscefus Member Posts: 45
    Take the garden hose and lightly spray different areas of the car, try left doors then right doors, sunroof, hatch, taillights.
    Spray each for about 3 minutes then look inside before moving to next area. The hatch gromments will sometimes pop out and this will cause a leak in the left or right rear areas. If its in 2nd row floor then you have a door leaking. Post back on where you find the leak and I will walk you through the repairs
    Goto the tailgate open and close it repeatedly with your ears near it. Could be a screw in the tailgate, or a loose tailgate motor(3 T-20 screws) the only other thing is the strikers no set correctly. Post where you find the rattle and I'll try to help you
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I have a 2001 X5. Recently, in the last few months, the navigation instructions refuse to start for a long time. It takes about 10 minutes or more at times to finally start getting directions. At other times, the directions begin immediately, as expected.

Has anyone run into a similar issue? Any suggestions or ideas?
  • mina2324mina2324 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission on my 2000 x5 shaft also broke in the middle of an intersection recently. No extended warranty and did not purchase from dealer, but a private owner. I have use a repair shop that specializes in BMW's and other foreign cars. The cost to repair is between $5500-$5800...does this sound reasonable?
  • klp65klp65 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 X5 that has severe Electrical/Computer issues. The parking brake is malfunctioning which means that anytime you come to a full stop it locks and will not release. It has been at the Dealership for 15 days straight now with seemingly no end in sight. The factory has been trouble shooting the problem with no fix!!! Has anyone else experienced or heard of this???

I love my X5 and am not happy about the thought of giving it up. Just would like to know if this is a fluke or an ongoing problem with the vehicles.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I am at my wits end!!!!
  • piperjackpiperjack Member Posts: 14
    Hi all

I need a recommendation for an independent BMW mechanic who know X5s.

Thanks in advance
    have the dealership pull up the center console and check the harness and the pins to the EMF(switch). Or you could just have one that has gone bad.
  • maf1maf1 Member Posts: 17
    William,
    I have a 2005 X5 4.4 with the same problem. There seems to be some issue with transitioning between 1st and second gears after stops. We brought it into the shop three times, they reprogrammed the computer twice and of course it did not help. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?
    Thanks
  • falvor88falvor88 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I notice this morning that my Nav screen won't turn on. The radio controls seems to work but there is no screen whatsoever. When I turn off the car and restart it, I noticed that there is a quick flash on the screen but that was it. The BMW logo didn't even appear like it usually does.

I have a 2003 X5 4.4 and have never had a problem with the Nav screen before.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks all.
  • haaserhaaser Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 X5 4.8. The steering column rises when car is shut for easy exiting, however it doesn&#146;t always lower to previous position. It is driving me crazy. Sometimes it works other times it doesn&#146;t. Dealer looked at it and of course couldn&#146;t replicate. Does anyone else have this problem? Is their a trick when shutting down?
    Do you have the steering column's position,that you like to drive it in,stored in memory? try that and let us know
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    I had this exact same problem with a nav system in a 745i. The dealer eventually diagnosed the problem as defective navigation system hardware, so they replaced the nav computer entirely. That is an expensive part that had to be shipped from Germany (probably because the 7 series nav system is part of the iDrive system). BMW had to authorize the replacement, which required the dealer to eliminate every other possibility first. That meant 3 trips to the dealer before they finally replaced the part.

I hope your X5 is still under warranty if they have to replace the nav system. The first step probably will be to update/re-install the nav software to make sure it's not a problem with corrupted software.
    I've read several posts in various places from people who complain that new BMW engines don't have dipsticks, so you can't check the engine oil level. One poster said her dealer told her that they would have to drain out all the the oil, measure it, and refill it to know if it needs oil. How could BMW be so "stupid"? Well, fortunately they're not.

Oil levels in new BMW engines are monitored electronically. If the engine has no dipstick, you check the engine oil level using the onboard computer or the iDrive system. They have an "electronic dipstick" that allows you to check oil levels while the engine is running and even while you drive the car. No more stopping the engine and fumbling around hot, dirty, crowded engine compartments.

Look in the index of the owner's manual under "oil" for instructions.
  • KingbergKingberg Member Posts: 2
    I've had a similar issue with my 2004 X5 4.4L. Only during cold start though. Problem started out as only an upshift issue between gears 1->2. Dealer reprogrammed the transmission. Problem went away. 3 weeks later hard shifting from gears 2->1 only on first cold shift experienced. Dealer again inspected cause, and reprogramming could not resolve. They found the transmission was slipping only at that point, and replaced it under factory warranty. My X5 has 40K miles, and the transmission is from GM ironically.
  • columbiacolumbia Member Posts: 1
    Mine has been at the dealership three times for the electronic brake malfunctioning. They have no idea why it is happening. they continue to change modules and re-program the vehicle. No solution on this end, other than I have contacted an attorney to look into the California lemon law.
  • scherpscherp Member Posts: 1
    I own an 2002 x-5 and a 2002 325. Both cars and my sister's 2001 500 series have had issues with the wiring melting onto the sockets in the tail lights. I had to relpace both sockets in my 325 and had the contact points cleaned up on one of my pack lights. The other side is too far gone and is ready for replacing. The service people at my dealership see this problem rather frequently and have admitted it is a design flaw. I anyone else finding this to be an issue? I feel BMW should be replacing these for us! Thanks!
  • swebblucyswebblucy Member Posts: 2
    Have heard that the I drive is too hard to learn is this true? would love to hear real world experiences. also is there an issue with finding someone to replace the RFT tires or using a car with these?
    Is iDrive hard to learn? The answer, apparently, is that iDrive is hard to learn only if you're a journalist for an automotive magazine or for Consumer Reports. They complain incessantly about iDrive being too complicated, usually because they couldn't master it during their 20 minute test drive. A normal human being shouldn't have a problem with iDrive if they have basic computer experience.

The truth is that you will not learn 100% of the iDrive functions the first time you drive the car, but you should be able to learn 75% of the features after a couple drives. The important features (like stereo controls) that you use every day are easy to learn and most of those features also are controlled by buttons on the dashboard or steering wheel. Beyond that, there will be a few obscure options that you don't need to use on a daily basis and you can look those up when you need them (like the ability to use iDrive to check engine oil levels while driving on the highway, or re-setting your tire pressure monitor).

I've had several vehicles with iDrive since it first debuted. I like it because it provides extremely detailed control over the vehicle's features. It's great for people like me who want to configure the vehicle to my own personal preferences. But it requires some thought. You have to learn something new and there is a bit of a learning curve the first time you use it. Apparently, that's a problem for journalists.
    You asked about issues with run flat tires ("rft"). One drawback to run flats is that they can contribute to a stiff ride because the sidewalls are reinforced and tend to be stiffer than a regular tire. Once you drive on them flat, they usually are damaged and have to be replaced. Cars with run flat tires usually ship with a convenience spare and not a full-sized spare. They are slightly more expensive to replace than regular tires.

But you don't need special equipment or skills to mount run flats on a wheel. You can replace run flat tires with regular tires (as long as they're the correct spec), so you aren't required to use them forever on a car the has run flats as original equipment.
  • mimsmims Member Posts: 1
    was driving along in my X5 when suddenly without warning my accelerator died on me i had no power at all it has been on the diagnostic machine @ BMW but cannot find the fault.Also when they pulled out the dip stick oil shoots into the air. any one know y ?
  • david21david21 Member Posts: 3
    My wife drives a 2004 X5 which we bought new and have never had a problem with in about 50,000 miles. I seldom drive the car but when I do I use my own key. Recently I get in the car and my key will turn in the column and lights, radio, air all come on but engine makes no attempt to start, it acts as if the battery were dead at that point. I remove my key and use hers, and the car starts immediately, no problem. By chance I have learned if I start the car with her key, I can immediately turn it off, replace with my key and it starts fine. I drive for 5 minutes or as of yesterday, a 3 hour 200 mile trip, and once I stop the car and remove the key, it will not restart the car unless I first use her key to start, then remove and replace with mine. Anyone seen anything like this? Is it a key issue or security system? Thanks, dh
    Sounds as if you have a dead battery in your key. Your key worked at one time right?, I know the keys should recharge after being in the switch for awhile,but maybe you have let it get too low. Its like a car battery,let it get too low and it will never take a charge. hope this helps
    If the seat occupanct sensor in the driver seat has gone out, then the car will not move. Have the dealership look in the DXC for the driver seat occupancy. If the car is in drive and you raise your bum out of the seat the car will go into park.
  • bmwx5guybmwx5guy Member Posts: 6
    Dude - I just picked up my 2008 X5. iDrive is one of the MAIN REASONS I purchased this car.

I looked at Suburbans and Hummers (H1, H2, H3), I own a Land Rover, I looked at Nissan Armada and at the Mercedes GL and ML.

After the iDrive - the other systems were a joke. The Audi was the WORST. It had what seemed to be hundreds of buttons in the center console by the shifter which lit up when pressed and that changes the function of other knobs and dials. I would have crashed looking at that.

The iDrive is like a mouse. You can move it like a joystick, rotate it to go thru lists and then press it in to select. SOooooooo Easy. I agree with the other comment that ONLY THE PRESS seems to not like it.

Get the X5 FOR the iDrive. It's great.
  • david21david21 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Cefus. I didn't realize that could/would happen with that key not being in use but looking through the manual, it looks like you are probably right. Thanks again.
    DH
  • mc330cimc330ci Member Posts: 1
    Hi there - I'm going through the same issues with my '05 4.4i.
    Wondering if the new transmission resolved your issues. What did you need to do in order to have them replace the unit.

Thanks,

Mike
  • jvicjvic Member Posts: 1
    I had a check engine light as well. Checked the code's (don't remember numbers) but it was "lean fuel trim bank 1 & 2. The problem eventually cleared itself. I think I put regular octane gas at fill up. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Jay
  • dslayerdslayer Member Posts: 1
    While in the manual carwash, my wife was inside the vehicle in the front passenger seat and at one point I tried to open the driver's door which I found to be locked. My wife tried to unlock it using the door release button on te console several times while I was trying unsuccessfully to open it, till I realized something had happened and the handle no longer worked to open the door - does anyone have a refernce manual on how to repair the door handle?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think what you need is some instructions on how to remove the door panel. Once that is off, you should be able to see the problem.

I can get you at least to removing the door panel. Looks like you have to be real careful with the airbag and the door handle light wires.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalBmwX5FSpkR.htm

Unfortunately it doesn't say how to remove the door handle but that's probably just some bolts or allen bolts after you remove the actuators, cut the moisture barrier (which you must re-tape) and get the air bag out of the way.
  • kjackson1kjackson1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. My 2002 X5 suddenly stopped blowing air from the vents for both heating and AC. The I am wondering could it be just a fuse?? The lights on the instrument panel for the heat/ac are illuminated, but no air comes out. Any suggestions??
  • jendresjendres Member Posts: 2
    Please does anyone out there know if there is meant to be a check you can do on your turbo. Mine has recently blown and when I asked what had caused it to go I received a reply of "wear and tear" which is understandable. When I questioned them that my car had just been in for a service why was the turbo not checked, the reply was "we do not check turbo's, we wait for them to go and replace them" At my cost as the car is out of service plan. Please can anyone tell me if this is indeed BMW's way of doing things.

Regards

Juliette
  • lion2000lion2000 Member Posts: 22
    This happened to my 2001 X5 after 55K miles. Dealer took care of it with no charge. It was the Reostat that adjust the fan speed blown out. Happen to many X5 for some reason.
  • jendresjendres Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if an auxilary fan not working would contribute to a turbo blowing ?
  • rfightrfight Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 X5, when I try to play a DVD on the rear entertainment system I get a message that I have the wrong country code. Went through the dealership for repair but they said their dvd worked. I rented a dvd this weekend and it still gave me the same error. Any suggestions. I have another appointment with the dealer to check it out again but don't really want to take it in for something this silly.
    Is this the new or old version of the X5?
    No it does not effect the turbo, this fan is for cooling of engine and water.