Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• Options
    wbeattiewbeattie Member Posts: 9
    I have no idea if this is your problem but I have two Toyota's that have had similar heater fan problems. The mice like to try and build nests inside the heater fans in the winter. I have pulled out dead mice in two cars this winter. I also have a 2006 Civic EX but I have not had the problem with this car yet. You could have something inside the fan that is causing it to go off balance. The fan can become very noisy if this happens.
  • Options
    lynnjerlynnjer Member Posts: 6
    So for the last five months or so, I've been experiencing what I feel is excessive egine vibration for my 2006 Civic EX. I see some posts about the engine mounts, but I've been to two dealers and they 1. say they can't identify the vibration or think it's normal, and 2. the engine mounts look fine.

I drive about 100 miles to work, and a 100 back. I get a monster headache that lasts the entire week. I can't keep putting up with this. I can't trade in an 06 with almost 80k miles on it and expect anything for it. In this economy, I sure as heck can't afford it.

I know crap about cars, unfortunately, but someone told me about engine harmonizers. One tech guy at the dealer said they're not real mechanics anymore. If they can't visually identify or pinpoint the issue, they can't take things apart to find it. For them to look into the harmonizer thing, is probably gonna be about $300 minimum.

I am not making this vibration thing up either. Driving this much, I'm gonna have a pretty darn good feel about my car and know what's normal and not. This is certainly not.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can do to resolve this?

Much thanks...
  • Options
    HybridCivic007HybridCivic007 Member Posts: 2
    You might want to look into the threads about the wheel alignment issues on honda civics. At least in the Hybrids their a service bulletin to repair and wheel alignment. I had some rear hard vibration, especially as i picked up on speed. New tires will resolve for a bit, but the tires will wear out uneven again.

The vibration is being caused by the uneven wear on the tires. At least in my car it was, rear tires were excessively being worn on the inside edge of tires. Check your tires to see they show uneven wear, inside or outside edge or even look lick bumps or not smooth.

Hope this provides you with additional info on what else to look into!
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not the tires. That was suspected at first, and thus I had them all replaced. It even happens when the car is completely stopped. It was so bad on yesterdays drive home, that I went straight to the dealer, and this time the tech said he kind of felt it. I have little faith in them though.

Anyone else have any ideas about this? Thanks.
  • Options
    seanhawkseanhawk Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem on my 07 Accord 4dr. Like yours, the rattle seems to be coming from behind the radio/cd player. As odd as it may sound, it seems more noisy right after the car is started and hits the road. Sometimes the rattling is heard even when I'm stopped at a light. So, its not always the bumpy road. I think I also hear rattling from couple of other places in the car. Its very annoying, not sure what to do. Others, please post if you experience similar problems.
  • Options
    skeeter11skeeter11 Member Posts: 33
    I too have an 06 civic EX which has had the excessive engine vibration. There is a software update that exists for this issue. I had this software update installed in Oct 07. It did improve the issue somewhat, but still not completely resolved in my opinion. A Honda tech informed me that there may be another update for this issue at some point. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Do you have the update number? Notice some vibration from time to time. Not to bad...but sometimes.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    No update number was written on my invoice. Invoice stated "Installed new software update for idle concern." Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    The dealer has had my car for 3 days now. Honda Tech engineers out in CA haven't found anything, ie., bulletins or similar related issues.

The dealers techs haven't been able to find the issue, though they have acknowledged there is certainly something wrong. If they can't find it, then what? My car is just an 2006 with 75k highway miles on it. It's out of warranty. I find it hard to swallow that there isn't any consumer protection with respects to something like this. Honda acknowledges the problem, yet they can't find it. What can I do?
  • Options
    nsteevonsteevo Member Posts: 18
    The service bulletin number for the alignment problem is 08-011.
    I went to the dealer as a result of a discussion in another blog about handling problems on slippery pavement. Mine was so bad I had started looking at buying a new//different car.
    The dealer will replace the rear upper control arms which (originally) were designed to "tilt" the wheels allowing for better handling. Only problem with this great idea is that it causes uneven tire wear (a prerequisite to having the dealer replace the parts and to do an alignment on Honda) and lack of control on slippery pavement.
    Mine was fixed yesterday. My fingers and toes are crossed cause I love this little car and want to keep it.
  • Options
    newhondaowner7newhondaowner7 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2006 Civic LX which has had 1 set of struts replaced back in 2007. Well in the last few weeks I have heard the same noise again in the front left. Is there a more permanent solution to this problem? Am I going to have to have my struts replaced every 1.5 years? This is ridiculous and I am not happy with this car. I have 37,000 miles and an extended warranty. There are so many other noises that I have overlooked thinking they're nothing but after reading this forum I have found that I really need the dealer to look this over. I thought the glove box noise was nothing but to find out in this forum it could be a motor mount. The car needs new tires as well but I guess I am lucky that mine have lasted as long in comparison to some who had to have them replaced at 20,000 miles. If anyone responds do you have any recommendations for good tires with low noise and decent snow traction? Thanks!
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Have them in the 205/55/16 on the wife's Mazda 3 and they are excellent in the rain and pretty quiet also. Our 1st Yokahama product and am very pleased.
    Also, on my '06 Civic I've been hearing a strange noise coming from the right rear end over certain bumps lately and with two in the back it gets worse. Already have had the rear control arms replaced under warranty. Any idea as to what the noise could be from? Rear struts perhaps?

i>The Sandman :confuse:
  • Options
    Replaced my original tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4's. Much quieter than the original Bridgestone's and a huge improvement in the snow. The Bridgestone's were beyond dangerous in the snow.
  • Options
    uhryniwuhryniw Member Posts: 5
    I had a 2006 honda civic fully loaded...loved it! Couldn't drive it in snow, rain or wind. Honda replaced the upper arms and I sold it. Good friend of mine is a mechanic at honda. Told me that there is a major flaw in the "engineering" design. Doesn't matter if they fix the arms or not the tires will couple. They told me I had to replace the tires at 34,000 km and they wouldn't pay for it. They are selling the 07 and 08 with the same Engineering flaw. I sold it and bought a 09 Toyota Matrix. I loved everything about the Honda and was sad to get rid of it but I wasn't about to buy new tires every 2 years. Very disappointing but I love the Matrix.
  • Options
    uhryniwuhryniw Member Posts: 5
    It will not help. I had the upper arm controls replaced as well. I have a friend working at Honda and told me that it is a "design or engineer" flaw. Replacing the upper arms will not fix the problem. tires will couple over and over. I got rid of my Honda while it was worth some money. They are selling the 07 and 08 with the same engineering flaw. So sad! Loved the car. Couldn't drive it on icy, wet roads or when it was windy out. Pretty scary! I bought a 09 Toyota Matrix, went back to gold old reliable Toyota and love it but was sad to see the Honda go, loved everything about it.
  • Options
    zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    I can't believe it: I just took my 2008 Civic with 12,000 miles on the odo to the dealership for vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds and they found that my front brake pads are down to 20%!!! After 12,000 miles!!! I've never replaced brake pads before 40,000+ miles on any other car I've owned. So, my questions:

1. Has anyone had such excessive brake pad wear in a Civic? At what mileage do front brake pads usually need to be replaced in the new Civics?
    2. I'd like to upgrade: What brake pads do you recommend? What rotors?

Thanks greatly for the advice.
  • Options
    kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    I don't have my 06 LX sedan anymore, however, my first front brake job was required at 15,000 miles. I was shocked, the front pads were totally gone.

I was advised by my mechanic who I have know for 15+ years that it's not uncommon these days for brake pads to need replacing in the 15K + or - range. He says they uses cheaper materials and smaller pads, etc etc.

12K seems a tad early but not far from when I had to change mine.

My wife's 05 corolla needed front pads at around 17K and she drives the car very lightly so it seems to reason, brake pads just don't last as long as they used to.
  • Options
    I also have a 2006 LX. . Although I have had many problems with the car, the brakes are not one of them. I changed my front brake pads at about 32K miles. I might have gotten another ten thousand miles out of them but its cheaper to replace the pads than taking a chance of ruining the rotors. I bought the OEM brake pads and I was very impressed with the quality of these brake pads.
    I have read similar complaints about the brakes on the 2006 Civic so there possibly could be a problem with some of the break calipers on this model causing premature wear.
  • Options
    annie11annie11 Member Posts: 5
    Our 2007 Honda civic needed new brake pads after 27000 miles. We thought that was outrageous and we screamed loudly and finally it was decided that we did not have to pay. Especially in light of the fact we had to replace the tires because of a rear end problem.
  • Options
    nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    My '06 has 57K with about 2/3's being highway...having a coupon for a brake job discount at my Honda dealer, I fully expected to opt for preemptive pad replacement before I ruined the rotors when I brought it in for state inspection. To my surprise, Honda claims I've got 30% left on the original pads. Yes, I try to drive thoughtfully in New York City traffic, that is, I don't race to the next read light, but by no means is my driving style vanilla. On Long Island highways, I do pulse my stops (on and off braking approaching obvious slow downs) but I do NOT downshift the manual to engine brake very often, brake pads are cheaper than clutches.
    Search this message board for at least one excellent post on aftermarket pad and rotor options sent in by a Canadian Civic owner a few months ago. Good Luck.
    NOTE: It's message # 1023

PS My major gripe with my car are all the annoying little rattle sounds that must result from the hard interior materials. My EX has a subwoofer which causes constant vib rattle that is very hard to locate.
  • Options
    knfieldknfield Member Posts: 5
    My fiance is 6'4" and he drives my car all the time.
  • Options
    knfieldknfield Member Posts: 5
    How did you not have to pay? I am looking for suggestions.

I have 24000 on my 2007 civic coupe, and was just told that I need 2 new tires and new brakes. I have had both front struts replaced and the rear control arms replaced too. I have read online that bad struts put extra strain on the tires, and cause extra wear, but Honda is telling me that it is normal to need new tires at 28000. I have NEVER needed new tires that fast on any of my cars, and I don't think that I have ever replaced brakes before 60000 miles.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    If you have Bridgestone Turanza's on them then it is not unusual for them to wear so quickly. I was told this by a few tire pros and if you look on tirerack.com it will tell you across the board that this tire doesn't last long. New brakes at 24000 is extreme in my opinion. I have had both struts replaced and I am going in again to have them looked at 12,000 miles later. My brakes have been fine at 37,000 miles.
  • Options
    Castro7723Castro7723 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 4 dr si. and since I purchased the car 2yrs ago.. randomly when I turn my car on my steering wheel is locked and the light on my dashboard is on and unless I turn my car off and turn it back on it remains on and locked. I have taken it to the dealer for service and ocourse it doesnt happen. So they have no idea what it is caused by.. They say they "tightened" a few things and the famous saying if it happens again...bring it back..Well, I did over and over until I switched service dealers and went thru the same thing over and over..and according to this service department they were going to order the part in which has been on a back order... I gave them more than enough time and I contacted American Honda Motor Corp. explained to them the situation and to date it is in service to have the ECU scanned for any codes. being that the steering is electric the ECU records any codes..

To describe the issue, when your car is off, and you manually lock your steering wheel it's locked into place...imagine turning your car on and you get the same feeling, luckily my first thought was to turn it off and turn it on again,,some times I have to do it a few times until it feels normal again.. Weird and scary..

Any suggestions? Advice
  • Options
    My steering wheel has locked a few times but that was because the wheels were turned. All I did was turn the steering wheel a little and it unlocked. I don't know if this has to do with your issue but if your tires are not turned then the steering wheel won't lock.
  • Options
    wilso127wilso127 Member Posts: 8
    Three years ago, I accidentally put a fender dent there, while attempting to park in too small a space in a car park. The paint surface was not scratched. What is the going rate today :confuse: for having this kind of dent pulled out?
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin??? The going rate depends on so many variables no one here can predict repair cost. What variables you ask? Where do you live (geographically speaking) because labor rates vary by location. Do you live in a city-or rural area? because population centers while having more repair shops generally charge more. How good or nice of a job do you want? How much time will be involved in repair or is the dent in a poor location for an easy fix? Well, you get the picture. Go to a few local body shops and tell them what you expect and you will soon find "the going rate".
  • Options
    Castro7723Castro7723 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply...no my issue is more electronic. I recieved my car back from the dealer and they "re-connected" a wire that is connected to the cars ECU(computer) and cleaned it off..since there was some dirt and debri that could of caused the issue. I heard that song and dance before..And then if that doesn't work they are going to replace the actual computer.

Its weird..we'll see..
  • Options
    tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2006 EX. I'm having a problem with the driver's side front window streaking on the interior of the glass. The streaking is on only a portion of the glass. I asked the dealer about it and was told it is a normal characteristic of the car. Honda has advised dealers to clean the glass for owners that bring it up.

I have never had this problem on another vehicle, including the two other Hondas I have. Anyone else had this problem and had it corrected? What would cause the interior of the door assembly to get wet and dirty?
  • Options
    We absoluely have the exact same problem. The car is a 2006 EX sedan bought new and I noticed the problem immediately. I would clean the inside driver side glass and the very first time it was lowered and then raised again it would streak then I would clean the glass again and lower it and....etc etc etc. 3 years later it STILL streaks and I have no idea why it does or why it should. I originally thought somebody used excess lubricant on the window mechanism while building the car and it would eventually disipate but since it is still there and since you have the same problem, well, now I don't know. "Standard characteristic of the car" indeed, more like standard answer when further investigation is too much to bother doing. Seems as if Honda wants us to return to the dealer each and every time the window is used for a "free glass cleaning". I never asked our dealer about this but if you find an answer let me/us know.
  • Options
    jjflynnjjflynn Member Posts: 2
    Hi All!

I am trying to figure out who I believe on this one...my daughter's 2006 Honda Civic was in an accident back in September 08, and was repaired (including a replaced radiator). Feb 27th 09 it overheats and we're told it's got a blown head gasket.

Now the insurance company is claiming that the mechanic improperly bled the coolant system, causing an air bubble that eventually caused this massive failure. They don't want to pay, and Honda doesn't want to fix it under warranty because they think it's faulty repair. The mechnic says it's crazy...why would it take that long for the car to fail?

Who to believe? Does this seem likely? What should my next steps be?

Thanks in advance...

John
  • Options
    First, nobody involved is going to step up and take responsibility. They will only blame each other. I have researched causes for "blown" headgaskets and it seems that there may be a few reasons it could have happened due to the accident. There are three basic reasons for failure, 1. design issues from the manufacturer 2. improper installation when replacing them or rebuilding an engine and 3. overheating which seems to be the catagory your issue probably falls under. Since the radiator WAS replaced as a result of an accident one of the possibilities is that an aftermarket radiator (rather than a genuine Honda part) was used. This aftermarker part might not have the cooling capacity of an original part causing under-cooling that over time caused a problem. Many/most modern cars have marginal cooling systems and any reduction in cooling capacity will eventually stress the head-gasket over time. Strike 1 for the mechanic if he did use a cheaper offshore (China or Indian) part. An air pocket (air in the system) can indeed cause overheating which in turn causes head-gasket failure. Strike 2 for the mechanic if he did not properly bleed out the air. A cooling leak can (obviously) cause overheating. If it was slow and nobody noticed low cooling levels until it overheated big time there goes the head gasket. So, if the new radiator connections were not tight...well strike 3 for the mechanic. There are some other reasons but all of these cause overheating and THAT is the reason for a "blown" headgasket. Other causes...defective thermostat, bad radiator cap, cooling fan/s not operational (plugged into the harness securely?) low coolant level (was this full when the car was returned from repair?). These seem the most likely reasons and sorry to say all point to your mechanic POSSIBLY doing/not doing one or more of them.
    Let us know how it turns out
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Assuming the gauges were working correctly, do you feel the owner should have some responsibility here? After all, if the car over heats, for whatever reason, you'd have to ignore the temperature gauge for a period of time to have the head gasket problem, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Yeah, you would but the guy is asking for possible reasons for the root cause. He also stated his daughter owns or drives the car not him so while inattention or ignorance of the function of the gauge is "a reason" for the overheat it isn't the primary cause. By all means lets give the driver some responsibility for the ultimate failure. Drivers are the last resort in noticing and correcting potential problems before total failure. All drivers should familiarize themselves with the function and location of all controls and and gauges within their vehicle and further, they should glance at all critical items (such as the temperature gauge, oil pressure warning lamp and charge indicator) periodically while driving. It is a good habit, how many do it??? obviously not her.
  • Options
    ghofkinghofkin Member Posts: 2
    My audio/navi panel suddenly did not light up on starting the vehicle. None of the control on the panel worked. Yet I was able to change radio and CD channels and control volume from the steering wheel controls. Just as suddenly, a day or so later everything began to work normally again. My service department said they had never heard of such a problem before. Any insights into this 'quirk'?
  • Options
    donna28donna28 Member Posts: 2
    Today my 2006 manual transmission Honda Civic was reving but not seeming to be catching in gear RPM's running high. Wondering what it could be before I bring it in for the big bill. I live in the country and commute to the city so have 185,000 km. highway km. Looking for any advice?? Donna
  • Options
    You do a lot of driving! You have well over 100.000 miles on your car. I would say by your description of the problem. as well as the amount of miles on your car. that you need a new clutch. Ger a couple of estimates for the work. I would be interested in what they are going to charge for the work since I have the same car with a manual transmission. My guess is 500 to 1000 dollars.
  • Options
    jjflynnjjflynn Member Posts: 2
    The report back...targettuning you were on target...though there are still some puzzles here. The diagnosis was (Strike 3) problem with a connection, specifically hose clamp. The result was NOT (apparently) a "blown" head gasket...at least we don't think so at this point. There are some interesting ins and outs, and one question remains....

Last Thursday I came to the conclusion you did and walked in to my mechanic and said, "looks like you guys blew this one." He agreed to do the tear-down for free, fix it free if it was his fault, and give me the labor free in any case. We were going to call back the insurance adjuster if he found cause, and (btw) there was an outside chance Jiffy Lube had something to do with the problem...HOWEVER...my ex called me two hours later and said, "I don't want that guy touching this car!"

Her idea was to pay the dealer who diagnosed the blown headgasket to do the teardown ($1500--ack!), have it fixed by Honda so they'd be on the hook, and somehow sue my mechanic. I still like my guy--he's been jake for 12 years--and I thought he ought to be on the hook for it. I thought her plan was impractical (and I don't share her devotion to that warranty), she thought I was crazy for letting the mechanic at it again. I threw up my hands, and she started talking to lawyers and other mechanics.

The upshot is that she had it towed to ANOTHER Honda dealer and that one diagnosed the ill-fitting clamp. That should have been visible...right? My daughter says that there was some pressure test that had to be done and that it couldn't be seen, but if you've got leaking coolant it's going to leave some stain. Upshot: it seems likely that my mechnic didn't handle the clamp right...but Honda dealership #1 was WAAAAY off base. What the ex was going to plonk down $3-5k for turned out to be a $100 repair.

Here's one thing I still can't figure out: we keep going over the issue of the "aftermarket radiator." I'm not sure I even know what that word means any more...my mechanic showed me the order from State Farm with the part number, the order system he used to buy that part, and the part # on the receipt from the parts warehouse. There were two versions of the part: one from Japan, and one from the US...he said he thought the 2006 Honda was too new to have an aftermarket radiator on the market at this point in any case...but the dealer claims that a radiator should have some Honda stamp on it if it's "genuine." I'm not sure what to believe about that...or even if I should CARE at this point! Any advice on that would be gratefully received.

Per another respondent here...I have my daughter watching the gauges like a hawk. Thanks, again, to the posters here...
  • Options
    donna28donna28 Member Posts: 2
    Close, would you believe 1200. with a 1 yr. or 20,000 km. warranty. The work is done and it's running nice! Expensive repair!! Thanks for your response! Commuting Donna
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Went in for an oil change today and mentioned that the rear makes a weird noise over speed bumps and is way low with anyone in the back. Turns out they replaced both rear shocks under warranty no questions asked. Will run out of warranty on June 16th, the end of the 3 year period. Just hit 20k on Tuesday, nowhere near the 36k mileage. Did sit in a new EX and liked the cloth interior. Also saw a white LX-S model which looked sweet with the small lip rear spoiler...which I'd love.
    Did spend some time sitting in a '09 Fit Sport and the seats hug one better than the Civic's but don't like the dash layout at all...the Civic's is far superior to me. It did have a carbon fiber add-on kit which helped the dash overall look, would look very nice on the Civic dash also. Might check into that at my local auto accessories guy. Just gave the dash a more polished, finished look.

Probably silly to spend the $ on such an item but loved the custom look. Also have been toying around with a front strut brace for the car. Would it really improve the car's handling characteristics or is it really a waste. Will check out that dash kit tomorrow though.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    Today's NY Times auto section (3/22) reports that Honda has issued TSB 09-005 for 2006-9 rear shocks that may have come loose. They offer "replacing the assembly" with full or partial reimbursement for out of warantee cars at district manager's discretion.
    Also, in the same article, note TSB 09-007 for replacement of "drive belt tensioner pivot bolt and a rerouted drive belt" for some 2006 Civics. Honda will sent out a notification letter and the repair will be free.
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    Re: the TSB 09-005 loose rear shocks, I checked my Owner Link site and there's nothing about this. Does anyone know if it's a situation where they know which cars are involved and no one else will be notified? Thank you.
  • Options
    Had mine replaced two weeks ago. Went in and mentioned I hear noises in the rear over speed bumps and they replaced both shocks under warranty.
    Way cool!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    When the shocks went out on my '02 Civic I found oil dripped on the garage floor. There's nothing like that and I haven't really noticed much noises over speed bumps. Would they be able to tell if I just took it in for the next oil change and asked to have them looked at? Also, did your dealer need notice because they have to be ordered first? Thank you.
  • Options
    Just went in for a routine oil change and since I'm near my 3 year time frame, asked them to look at this problem I had noticed. They did, they replaced them, and I thanked them and left a happy customer.

Just love my Honda and they've got a customer for life I suspect.

• Options
    Well, yes, I love mine too, but maybe once they get everything replaced we can relax and enjoy it. LOL
  • Options
    tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone have a source for a copy of TSB 09-005 (or other TSBs related to the 2006 Civic)?
  • Options
    trick18trick18 Member Posts: 5
    bought my 07 civic last year with 12000 miles on it. From the begining there was a slight humming noise from the rear. Put 20,000 miles on it and the noise got so loud could not stand it anymore. Took it to the dealer today and there were 2 recalls, 1 for the brake switch and 1 for the water pump pulley botls. I figured the problem was the upper contol arms even thought the tires looked ok on the outside. Got a call from the dealer and was correct. They needed to replace the control arms and the tires which were not covered. They gave me a copy of the Warrenty History report which showed just before the 1st owner sold it he had the rear bearings and housing replaced. My guess it was the contol arms all along. I called Honda to complain about the problem and was hopping they would at least help with the price on the tires but no luck since he said I had to many miles. I asked him why it was not a recall and he stayed it was not a safety risk and only a couple of cars were effected. He then went on to say that I should be thankfull that I brought it in 4,000 miles before my warranty ran out or I would have had to pay for it. At that point I was fumming. I told him I was going to get for the arms replaced and buy 4 new tires then trade it in for anothe manufactures. He said sorry to hear that. I bought it because it was a HONDA but now cant take a risk since the warranty is just about up. Honda lost another customer.
  • Options
    wilso127wilso127 Member Posts: 8
    This is only a minor annoyance, but has persisted since I bought the car new almost 5 years ago. When the dashboard fuel indicator gets down to about a quarter of a tank, the needle will often suddenly plummet to 'empty' and the needs fuel light comes on. Yesterday, a hot one here, it did as usual so I made a mental note to but some $1.90 Regular in the AM. The next morning, in the cool of dawn, the indicator was back up to 1/4-tank and the indicator light did not come on. Is the measuring device in the tank measuring fumes as well as liquid? And if so, wouldn't there be more fumes in the tank during the hot daylight hours than there would be the following dawn? Just curious...
  • Options
    crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    I have experienced the same thing to some degree. The fuel indicator gauge goes down faster from 1/3 of tank to E than it does from full to 1/3. It could be because of how the fuel tank is shaped. I've also noticed that the 'need fuel' light comes on and off. Sometimes based on how fast I was driving and whether on a level or hilly road. Once or twice a year I use Valvoline fuel system cleaner for cars with more than 50k miles, it also cleans the fuel gauge. So far it has worked well.

I try to keep track of miles per gallon achieved by my car, and to that I've observed that car drives about 375 to 400 miles in one tank of gas, so I reset the trip-meter to zero on each fill-up and get the gas again before trip meter gets to 400 miles. I use this primarily to keep track of cars miles per gallon, but it has also made me less dependent on the 'need fuel' indicator light.