Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    We are talking about two completely different types of leaks. Yours seems to be a leak of the AC refrigerant but I was replying to a poster who has an engine coolant (antifreeze) leak so I don't think my comments and symptoms to look for applies. UNLESS you are also loosing engine coolant (antifreeze) too. By the way there have been complaints here about road debris puncturing AC condenser (in front of the radiator) and the fact Honda refuses to fix it under warranty. Most who experienced this feel it is too exposed to debris thrown up by vehicles in front.
  • civicdriver1civicdriver1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought off EBAY some '05 SI wheels and am very happy with the results. Could've gotten EX wheels but wanted some that weren't on every other Civic. Will upload a pic if I can figure out how to do it. Have gotten quite a few positive compliments at various gas stations from other Civic owners. Most are surprised when I tell them that the rims are from the last generation SI model. The 16" rims fit perfectly.

The Sandman :) July 27 2008
    Sandman, I have an 2007 4door lx gal. gray and would like to install the same 2005 si wheels like you did. I bought this car new aug. 2007 now has 52,000 miles with the same tires that it had when bought new. I have been watching for rear tire problems and so far problem free. (Front to back and back to back every 8,000 miles when oil is changed with mobil 1 5-20 E.P. and clean the air filter k&n. :):):):)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    :sick: :sick: :shades: Still loving the rims on my Civic...always glance back once I park the car and smile...best $ I spent and would do it again in a heartbeat. Will be keeping the car afterall...as am willing to live with the seats uncomfortableness for now. Still under 22k miles and it still drives like new so why give it away. Will always get alloys from now on with each new car...the extra cost spread out over the life of the car ownership is well worth it. And alloys look so much better than steelies...all 4 of our cars have them and they look a bit nicer than the lower trims.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• teeegteeeg Member Posts: 1
    Read your message becuse the same thing was happening to my wifes car and the overheating was p and down, well I take the car to the ealership only to find out the block is cracked. Never did the car over heat other than that one day, were talking a 2006 honda with 67,000 miles. I very much disappointed as I'm going to be out of 4500.00., please readers if you have a 2006 Civic have your block checked as an inside source told me there maybe serious issues with that car.
    The car is a Honda that should not have happened at 67,000 3 years old. I have a 2007 with 54,000 miles, great car to date 0 problems even has the factory tires with good tread.
  • paezpaez Member Posts: 5
    Really sorry to hear that teeeg. It's unfortunate, but happening way too often with the 2006 Civic. I just got may car back yesterday after two weeks of being worked on at the dealership. Since my car had 48,000 miles, it was still under the 60,000 powertrain warranty (but I had to physically show them). They put a brand new block and it seems to be working fine. Since your car is over the 60,000 mark, I suggest you look up the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin?) and take it to the dealership. I believe I saw something on there that said that honda could review your case and possibly pay for some or all of the expense. My service guys at the dealership were spectacular and helped in every way they could.
  • insider5775insider5775 Member Posts: 7
    It is still under warranty.2006 powertrain is longer
  • dromandroman Member Posts: 18
    I know I have heard of other people having this problem, and it finally happened to me. My driver side sun visor cracked and is just hanging there. Was there ever an official recall for this? I know if I ask the dealership, those idiots will say, "No, no. Never heard of this happening before" (did I mention this is my 5th new and final Honda- total crapmobile). However, I would like to have some ammunition when I go to the dealership. The car has 30000 miles, but is over three years old, thus off warranty. Any suggestions. How much to replace? Thanks!
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    My car had half that mileage when mine broke at almost 2 years. I called the dealer, they said they'd order it and let me know when it came, they did and I had it replaced. I've read a lot of reports here about this problem. I never had a single problem with either of the visors in my 2002 Civic.
    Has anyone received the recall notice about defective air bags?
    Had my drivers side visor replaced free by the dealer...it's a safety issue and they even said they would replace the other side/same side if they broke again...it is a safety issue so go back to your dealer and see what he'll do. You'll be happy!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• moonlilymoonlily Member Posts: 7
    I have at least four large spots on the roof where the paint is missing and the primer and metal are exposed. The dealership told me that it was probably due to the acid in bird droppings. (Never mind that I wash my car at least once a week. Droppings have always rinsed right off with cold water.) Anyway, my husband has an older VW that sits next to mine. No paint problems with his car. Since I have 39,000 miles on my 2007, you guessed it, too bad/so sad. Apparently I'm not supposed to drive/keep my vehicle outdoors. This is my first Honda; I'm very disappointed that the Honda hype was just hype. If you're thinking about getting a Civic, make sure you don't drive under any birds. And please, call Honda Corp if you're having the same problem. They could have gotten bad paint.
    Has anyone had problems with their cv joints? I hear a very small clicking sound when I trurn the wheels to the left sharp. I called the dealer service dept. and they said that no one has had any problems with their cv joints and Honda re-engineered the boots back in 2001 so that they would not split out. My car is a 2007 Honda Civic LX with 55,000 miles on it.
    While we have not had CV joint problems per se (e.g. a replacement), I have heard some light clunking noise since new (2006 EX sedan currently @ 22K miles) when making a hard or maximum right turn from a stop or at low speed (less than 20 mph). I did then and I continue to believe this is not normal but decided not to persue the matter and now that the warranty is done and it still didn't get any worse AND since I intend to sell or trade it next model year I probably won't worry about it.
    No such problems either...great little car for my purposes actually. Would have loved the features of the LX-S model but couldn't see spending the extra $ to do the swap. The way I see it, I've still got another 6 to 7 years left with this puppy so I'm just banking the extra $ until that day arrives. But the way my spinal issues are progressing, driving in that many years may become an impossibility so would have no need for this 2nd car anyways.
    All in all, still love my little Civic!

• sarakansarakan Member Posts: 3
    i have a honda civic aerodeck 1.6 it overheats i took to the mechanic he said because the top hose on the radiator is hot and the bottom is cold the problem lies with the thermoswitch . is it true ? how do know if it is cylinderhead gasket does the oil be leeking were the gasket ly or is it white smoke? also plz tell me how to replace thermoswitch thanks
  • jamar2jamar2 Member Posts: 2
    2006 Civic LX purchased spring 2006, traded summer 2009 and driven 70,000km (43,000 miles). Problems experienced - replaced driver side front strut at 8,000 km, engine mount clunk in front never fixed, noisy intermittent rattle in speedometer quit after 1 year, paint on front bumper started peeling after two years, both windshield visors split open during hot weather in third summer, tires replaced at 50,000 km. Car was replaced with a domestic model for less money and so far has been a better experience.
  • mphs68mphs68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Honda civic I noticed sometimes when I start it I hear a little sizzle sound sometimes as I turn the key to start it is this the starter going bad?
    Have had the same issue with my '06 LX on numerous occasions since new. What is it and where does it come from? It's the one thing that has really pissed me off with my car. And it happens every so often with no rhyme or reason. Help!

i changed thrmostat and it seems ok now
  • moonlilymoonlily Member Posts: 7
    I think I know the sound you're talking about. Just happens occasionally. Thought maybe I was accidentally pressing the lock/unlock buttons on my key-ring while starting car. But actually I think it happens if you try to start the car before all of the appropriate dashboard lights illuminate. Let me know if you notice the same thing.
    my car was overheating i changed thermostat now the temperature does not reach half through i traveled for 20 miles PLZ HELP WILLIT ENDANGERMY ENGINE
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I just had that msg start today on my '08. The tank is almost empty, and I always shut the cap until it clicks, so do not know why it came on now? I have gone through two "drive cycles", starting - driving - turn off engine, and it's still on. Just called the dealer, and they said a couple drive cycles should do it. Owners manual says it could take a few days or even a week. I hope not.
    Here's to searching old posts. Thanks for posting!
  • ryno3ssryno3ss Member Posts: 2
    my gf was driving her 2007 civic lx with ~40,000 miles on it. she heard a screeching noise and felt as if her car was off the ground. she turned off the radio and the car was riding normally (slight shaking due to uneven tire wear). she got home minutes later and when she tried to park there was a loud noise. she looked at her car and it looks like the rear axle broke. upon reviewing some websites and this forum i have found that this is most likely a broken rear control arm. it literally looks like the tire is about to fly off. another poster said this happened to a friend. my girlfriend did not hit anything. how much will this cost to repair? will honda replace/ fix the problems?
    I do not believe the rear control arm replacement (per the TSB) was for the possibility of the control arm actually breaking BUT there was a TSB for potential rear wheel bearing failures due to a misplaced/missing grease seal. This may be the problem here.
  • quagmanquagman Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I recently bought a 2007 Civic LX 5-spd. I went into the garage today around 10 minutes after my wife drove it home. I heard a swishing/gurgling noise that was coming from the engine area (sounded like water running through a pipe). It wasn't loud, but obviously noticeable from outside the car. My wife was using the A/C while she was driving, so I'm thinking it might be refrigerant-related. Any ideas? Is this normal? The car runs fantastic otherwise.

By the way, since there are only 25K miles on the car, is it still under factory warranty even if I'm the second owner?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Check the in-service date. A 2007 Civic could have been originally sold more than 3 years ago, and if so the bumper-to-bumper warranty is gone. Your dealer or Honda Customer Service can tell you for sure.

I have heard "gurgling" noises before on cars, that were AC related. It could be normal, but noises like that that I've heard were pretty faint when they were normal.
  • civicdivacivicdiva Member Posts: 3
    I had my driver's side visor replaced after 10,000 miles and a hot summer with no problem. Honda said they knew of complaints with it and knew they were faulty. When it broke again just after 30,000 miles I went back and they wouldn't fix it again unless I paid them 94 dollars "Its out of waranty."
    I have heard the same thing but figured I had the wheels cut too hard-as if thats possible. Thanks, I will let service department know!
    The more I read this forum the more regrets I have about my Honda. I just replaced my tires on an 07 Civic after 40,000 miles. They were completely worn down and very uneven. Mind you I brought the car brand new. It's being serviced now for a BROKEN ENGINE MOUNT when three weeks ago I told them there was something wrong and they said to fix my clutch (on a 2 year old Honda). Come to find out its not the clutch but the engine mount.....*Shaking my head...
  • khstevens68khstevens68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 civic lx and my cv joints started popping at 70,000 miles. The bad thing is that Honda has not released the parts to the parts house and I couldn't purchase them. Honda's parts would sell them for $389.00 a side. Honda is a rip off.
  • ajaykwatraajaykwatra Member Posts: 2
    I am researching these visors. Can you please send me an e-mail to ajaykwatra@aol.com if you are willing to help me with the visor issue. I will only need a couple of minutes of your time. Happy Holidays!

Ajay Kwatra
  • ajaykwatraajaykwatra Member Posts: 2
    I am doing some research on the visors. Can you please contact me at ajaykwatra@aol.com, or (858) 539-1820. I will only take a few mintues of your time. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Ajay Kwatra
  • wilso127wilso127 Member Posts: 8
    Last year, on my 2004 Civic, after 4 years in use, I had my wiper blades replaced because the OEM blades began to squawk, had dried out and showed a carbon-black residue. The replacement blades were popped in by a reliable local garage. And now, after less than a year, the squawk is back, even though the blades are in good shape physically. Is there something I can do about this besides spending another 30+ Bucks on a new set? The windshield outer surface appears to be clean as a whistle. Should I put a stronger detergent solution into the spray reservoir? :mad:
    And also...A squeal in what I thought was the engine at start-up, turned out to be
    a low level of power steering fluid in the reservoir. This problem was a head-scratcher for both my local garage and the local Honda dealer, and it took a $9 inquiry to an online guy to point out the problem to me. :)
  • ashley12ashley12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I know nothing about cars and was hoping someone could help me here. I don't have a lot of money but I need to get my car fixed. A few months ago a black piece from underneath my car fell off under the engine, it was dragging for a long time and a few times my husband was able to put it back up with some ties, but then it fell completely off. So, recently some 2 pieces above the tire shredded and both fell off and now the bumper is lose. I am wondering if this is something I can buy myself and fix by just screwing theses pieces back in or if I need to go to an autobody shop. If I need to go to an autobody shop can someone give me an estimate of what I should be paying... I seem to get taken advantage of when I go to the auto shops so I'd like to go in prepared. I also do not have my husband around to help me with this. Thanks.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I currently have a '99 Corolla and I'm seriously considering an '06 or newer Civic.

The 5 speed manual Corolla's been a fantastic car; unbelievably reliable, still gets 38 MPG with 201K miles on it, everything still works and the car runs and drives fine, and it's reasonably comfortable. However, I'm getting older and while driving a stick at times is still enjoyable for me, it's a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed] in heavy traffic, so I want my next car equipped with an automatic.

While I like '03 and newer Corollas, I like the '06 and newer Civics better. Not only are they better looking, they just seem to be a better car all around. I absolutely love the Civic's 5 speed automatic. However, I have heard some things about the latest gen Civics that leaves a little cautious about buying one.

Some have said they're reliability isn't up to the levels of the previous gens.

Some have said the 5 speed auto is problematic.

Some have said to stay away from the '06 model because since that was the first model year of the current gen, they were still working out some bugs so it had more problems that later year models.

Is there any truth to any of these statements? Is there anything else about this car I should consider before buying one?
    Bottgers, I have an '07 Civic EX coupe, have had no real problems with it except the broken visor. Had a couple of recalls corrected, but just because they were out there. Gets around 25/35. I think the interior is not great, but I've not had trouble with it. I enjoy driving it. If I were buying something new I'd get a new later year, not a used one. I'm thinking about a Corolla next time or maybe even a Ford. I've had 4 Hondas, major trouble with the '82 Accord and what I think was major with an '02 Civic. Keep reading and choose wisely.
    Have an '06 and have also had a visor replaced along with some of the recalls done. Car gives probably 30/36, though I probably do 90% city driving...live in suburbia. Car is like the Eveready bunny...it keeps going...& going...you get the drift. I did break my rule on never buying a 1st year model here but love this car. Just hit 25k on Monday and plan to keep this puppy around for another 6 or 7 years G-d willing.

Personally, I love the two-tier dash as I find it easier to see the speed while still looking straight ahead...a safe design eventhough the jury is split 50/50 on this design. I've had them all in the past, Toyota, Nissan & currently have a Mazda and Hyundai also in the stable and I like my Civic the best. All great econoboxes really and we're all very happy!

• superstar401superstar401 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Honda Civic LX about a year ago, and I've started noticing a whistling, squealing sound a few months ago, after it was in a shop for about a month prior. It would make the squealing, sometimes almost like a muffler scratching the road sound when I drive. The sound gets worse when I turn. Doesn't seem like it is the breaks. It made the sound regardless if i stepped on the accelerator or brake pedals. When the car glides, after i let go of the pedal, it still makes a lighter whistling sound. Then one day the sound just disappears. At first, i wasn't if the sound was coming from my car or anothers. This was in the summer.

Now, it's getting into the 20s and the sound just started coming up again while i was driving on the freeway. After several attempts of driving and stopping and trying to figure where the sound was coming from... strangely, the sound disappears again.
    Had an uncle look at the car and there didn't seem to be any issues with the belts or low in fluids.... DOES ANYONE WHAT THE ISSUE COULD BE????
    I like the dash too. Like you, it's easy to see how fast I'm going and important since the speed limit around here is mostly 25 and I try to stick at 30. The mobile speed signs really flash at you when you hit 31! I just think the material it's made of is cheap.
  • 06civi06civi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Civic with 87,000 miles. I thought it was a great car. It is a well maintained car but I just found out it has an engine block crack. Honda has agreed to pay 80% of the replacement cost (NO help from customer service I had to have the dealer service department call the American Honda district manager who offered the 80/20) but that leaves me with about $800 dollars for my 20%. I can understand mistakes occur, but I would hope Honda would stand behind its product when it is a manufacturing defect. I'll NEVER buy another Honda and I have been a dedicated Honda customer through several cars. :sick:
  • scoverentalscoverental Member Posts: 1
    did you find out what this was because my car is doing the same thing
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    why should you have to pay anything? Honda has a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this manufacturing defect of cracks in the Civic's engine block. Just because you have miles over the warranty period shouldn't make you have to pay for Honda's defect! You should NOT pay 20% at all, if I were you, get yourself a lawyer/attorney and watch how fast they pay 100% which they should as they've already admitted they messed up all those blocks! try 2006 to 2008 model year Civics! I know people are sue happy, but you deserve to have legal representation show Honda that they're not going to make you pay for their defect.
  • wilso127wilso127 Member Posts: 8
    Yes I did. After 5 years, the reservoir for the power steering fluid was almost empty. I refilled it and the noise went away. I think the noise came from excess air in the reservoir being sucked up. Why the dealer's service dept. couldn't figure this out as a solution beats me!!!
  • wise1wise1 Member Posts: 91
    :It could be the brakes. My 07 Accord made a very loud scraping sound for no apparent reason and I learned from the dealer it is a warning that your brake pads are worn to an unacceptable level. My pads front and rear were still 75-80% so it went off for no good reason!! When backing out of a parking space it continued to sound off so after I let the vehicle cool off it was normal with no more scraping sounds. This was last August in the deep south where it gets really hot in a hurry!!! :surprise: :surprise: They don't make them like they use too!!!
  • victorcharlievictorcharlie Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm considering purchasing a new 2010 Honda Civic LX but am second guess this decision based on what I've read about previous model years. I am just wondering if anyone knows if Honda has corrected the engine block cracking, the premature brake wear and the premature tire wear. These are at least the most prevalent and severe problems I've read about with these cars. If you have any information it would be very helpful. If Honda hasn't fixed the problems I may have to turn to Toyota despite their accelerators of death.

Thanks
    As the owner of a 2006 EX sedan we have had our share of some of the problems discussed here on this forum, though not the most severe ones i.e. cracked engine blocks or the defective rear control arms (yet..as the car has only 26K miles) but some of the problems we did have (plus those other more serious problems we didn't experience) were carried over into the 2007 and even 2008 models given the degree to which they were still discussed here by owners of those models. Additionally, we suffered premature rear shock failure on our car that, as far as I could determine, was also a known fault on Civics as far back as 2003 with no correction by Honda (as in more quality control, or a change of the outside supplier of those parts) from those earlier cars to at least 2006. So, I do not give Honda good marks for being "on top" of known faults based on both our experiences and what has been commented on in this very forum. In fact I would go so far as to say Honda MAY be riding the crest of their former, and possibly well deserved, perception of superior quality while letting that quality slide. I remind you there are other good choices out there other than Honda and Toyota, especially now with their unintended acceleration problems. Those choices include the Hyundai Elantra which by all accounts both within the automotive press and actual owners are very good and reliable cars, possibly the Nissan Sentra, and....well I guess I can't name a smaller Ford, GM or Chrysler car that I would consider good so I guess it is up to you given your perameters of size, price, personal finances etc to sort through the others in the size class.
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    Well said Targettuning! My '06 EX has had most of the minor stuff mentioned in this forum, water pump, wheel bearings (rear) and some annoying interior rattles in cold weather BUT after free timely repair through recall at 80k miles this 5 speed runs like new with nothing but new tires, required fluid changes and front brake pads at 60k. Really great gas mileage, lots of fun to drive, I look forward to considering another one at the next major model change. Yes there are other worthy competitors in class but due drive each. If you like a fun sporty ride the Civic or Mazda 3 or Ford Focus might be for you. Price...consider Hyundai, a boring but now reliable value. The Corolla, when the brake issue is dealt also reliable boredom. And by boredom I merely mean uninspiring performance due to softer suspension and less precise steering based on my own experience and general agreement in the auto press.