Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    The problem with the shocks goes back further than the 2003 model. I had a 2002 with that at 17,000 miles and timing belt tensioner/water pump at 23,000. My 1982 had failed rack and pinion steering seal at about 50,000 miles. This 2007 Civic EX has been fine, with just recalled things corrected even though no problem evident.
  • victorcharlievictorcharlie Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input. I own a 2001 Honda Civic LX and looked back at all the problems this year had. I am just nervous of getting another Honda since they seem to have obvious engineering flaws in their designs and never own up to them. I'm assuming if the problems have carried on into the '08s then it's likely the '10s will have the same problems. I've already seen some complaints on the '09s of the premature brake wear and a few cases of the premature tire wear. The 2010s are probably too new to have anyone report major problems yet. Really the only reason I've been looking at just Toyota and Honda is the supposed reliability and the great resale value. I've heard that the Elantra is a respectable car I'm just worried about the resale value later on. So far the Corolla is still coming out ahead in my opinion even though it could possibly be one of the most boring cars to own. I guess I will keep looking around, if anyone else has a newer ('09 or '10) civic and had any of the above mentioned problems let me know. Thanks for the help.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Yes, resale value is a valid issue but with Toyota's problems, and Honda's too (Fit recall) I wonder if the stellar resale value of both of these brands will continue. In other words how many Toyota owners will continue to be concerned about unintentened acceleration and decide to "dump" their cars in spite of the third attempt of Toyota to pin down and fix the problem? With Honda, that Fit problem isn't as severe or widespread but it is another crack in Hondas reputation facade. With Hyundai however, the brand in general is on the up-swing in quality, both perceived and real. The brand is winning some hard fought "cred" both in the automotive press and on the streets. So,given that, the resale values have, and probably will continue to rise as more people see that they don't make "junk". Finally, I see you own a 2001 Civic so quick turnover for a new model isn't something you probably do. By the time a car is 9 or 10 years old resale value (while still a concern) isn't critical.
    Speaking of the problem with the Fit window, why would that just concern one Honda model? Why would they do one type of window mechanism in just one model? Why not use the same for all? Just because they haven't gotten any or not many complaints about it elsewhere, how can we be sure it won't happen in Civic? There was a man interviewed who had a 2002 Camry and in 2005 he experienced the sudden acceleration problem. They're just recalling new year models. I wouldn't touch a Toyota now.
  • civicowner3civicowner3 Member Posts: 47
    my 08 civic power windows malfunctioned as the fit. Window on passenger side would not close-I had to tape it shut w saran wrap, as that was all on hand. It worked-the power to the window-the next day.
  • rnd121rnd121 Member Posts: 4
    The engine in my Civic (~65,000km) failed unexpectedly this week while my daughter was driving it on the highway. There was absolutely no warning, no lights, no bells no whistles...nothing, just one dead Honda.

I had the car towed to a Honda dealer for diagnosis. After 3 days of radio silence they finally related to me there is serious engine damage and that Honda Canada will cover replacement of the short block but that they won't pay for damage caused by the engine being run after coolant loss. Coolant loss?

It wasn't until I started to do some research that I found a reference to Honda TSB 08-044 "Engine Overheats or Leaks Coolant" that details exactly the condition that my car experienced.

Needless to say that it is not in Honda's best interests for this information to become widely known and I'm curious why they have not yet issued a recall notice to deal with this catastrophic problem.
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    Sorry about your problem... but two questions... Didn't you have some warning on your temp gauge? If there was absolutely no warning, didn't some other system fail?
  • paezpaez Member Posts: 5
    Sorry to hear of your situation. The same thing happened to my 2006 Civic. It only had 45,000 miles. It started like this:
    In the summer of '09 my a/c suddenly stopped blowing cold air. I took it to my dealership and they found that there was no coolant whatsoever. They filled it up and said that should do it. One week later same thing happened. Radiator was bone dry and my temp gauge was maxed. Again, I took it to the dealership and they promptly notified me of a cracked block-and I would have to pay for it. After looking on the net, I stumbled across this site, found the TSB referring to cracked blocks and leaking coolant and took it to my dealership. Sure enough, they took care of everything at no cost.
    My dealership's service department was great. The line that produced these faulty blocks-not so great.
    In this case, with a cracked block, the coolant will escape very very fast. You won't realize how hot the engine is til' it's too late.
    Your Honda Service Department should cover the whole repair.
  • rnd121rnd121 Member Posts: 4
    I wasn't driving the car at the time the engine failed but I'm told there was absolutely NO warning. The engine just stopped and and the power steering went away. Bear in mind this was while my daughter was driving at ~110 kms/hr on the highway.

As the poster behind you points out, it's not hard to figure out that if the block cracks it isn't going to take long for the coolant to escape.
  • blimpyblimpy Member Posts: 8
    Don't put up with any crap from the dealer or Honda regarding the engine problem or control arms or tires. It is amazing how reality changes once you make it known your not a sheep.
  • skeeter11skeeter11 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone have the 2H VIN range for 2006 Civic EX's that are covered in this TSB? Thanks!!
    I didn't keep it, but doesn't your dealer have it?
    Has anyone else had the paint flake off on the hand brake handle top? This is the second time for me and I'm wondering if there might be a warranty extension with Honda to cover this.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    The exterior paint seems to be pretty thin, as certain areas of my car have paint chips gone...not a happy camper! Wished they'd have used a better grade of paint.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jls124jls124 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a high-mileage commuter that has driven a honda (accord or civic since the late 80's (I adored my 87 hatchback). Grew up with them and have driven within my family 7-8. For a few years switched away (VW Beetle TDI), but the maintenance grief versus Honda and need for more passenger space had me back for the 06 civic.

New tires put on at 60K and they're super loud, but I refuse to put any more $ into this :lemon: . In the 4.5 years I've owned it I'd had no issues until at 81K (9 months ago). Overheat & cracked short block. Did the water pump at the same time, but was an act of god for honda corporate (I had to deal with corporate before they'd do anything) and showed what I found online regardin the numerous complaints of the known problem. Then, I still had to pay a $600 'deductable' and was without a vehicle for 2 weeks! Did all brakes at ~100K. A few weeks ago took it in for an oil change and they 'discovered' a leak in the transmission seal. Oh, and I have that annoying sometimes broken visor, but heck if I am doing anything with that. :sick: One should 'never' have to get a new engine and have transmission problems with a Honda!

My replacement vehicle is due in any day. For the 1st of my life, I'm going American...we'll see!

For family reasons, I need a larger vehicle and 'was' going to sell this to a family member (because seriously - what else could go wrong), but I won't put family in potential harms way. Talk about a lemon. If you need a car for 75K miles and that's it, go for it...but I expect my honda's to be out of date and me want a new one because I want a change, not because they're crap... :lemon:
    I've seen this too many times here so I'm pretty sure I won't keep my '07 as long as 75,000 miles. Right now at a little over 3 years it has only 23,000 on it with no problems, but I'm not going to push it too much. I will keep it for 5 years and then like you look at American for a change, Ford or Chevy. You're smart not to pass this on to someone you love.
    Love my '06 LX with no issues to speak of except the visor which was replaced with no hassle. Extremely satisfied so far & would by another Honda product with no second guessing. Think we'll stick with our imports for the time being...nothing out of Detroit really does it for me. We're happy customers...yay! :-)

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ttg911ttg911 Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2010
    Hi, I have a 2006 EX-Navi with about 62,500 miles. Recently the engine has started “pinging” when I accelerate. I have taken to both Honda and Acura, both can replicate the problem, but neither can identify the source (both say, “bad gas”). Anybody else had this problem, and if so, what was the cause or fix? Thanks.
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    edited November 2010
    sounds like a build up of carbon deposits in the engine. I would suggest getting the fuel level down to below 1/4 tank, then adding BG products 44K fuel cleaner. You pour it into the gas tank (you'll need a funnel), fill up and then let that work through the fuel system into the fuel injectors, the valves, and the combustion chambers of the engine.

It has worked for me in the past with Honda's that I've owned. Also, once done, run another tank of gas, then once that's done get an oil change. Since this 44K fuel cleaner can leave a residue on the cylinder walls that can mix with the oil. Not harmful just prudent to remove it once it's cleaned everything.

website is www.bgprod.com and a can of the 44k fuel cleaner is about $20 around here.

once this is done and clean, if you still have issues, then take a look at the spark plugs, but I'm confident carbon build up is your pinging cause.
  • sjetsjet Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2010
    I have a 2009 Honda Civic, brought new and now has 11,100 miles. Took Honda in for routine maintenance and was informed that front brake pds needed to be replaced and rotors resufaced. The service manager indicated that I may be stepping on brake too frequently or just too much inner city driving. I have had at least 7 other different cars, makes and models never had a problem of premature brake wear.
    My question is has other Honda Civic owners experienced premature brake wear under 12,000 miles?
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    I had excellent brake wear. 60K front, no need for rotor. 90k rear, rotor replaced. 50/50 city/ highway. I have the 5 sp. 12K seems real premature unless you are pounding the brakes.
  • sjetsjet Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for reply and example. I do know what happens to brake systems when "pounding the brakes" as owner of previous vehicles since 70's so this is why I express this concern.
    Have a clear sticky liquid leaking from the front drivers side area of the front hood? Any suggestions as to what this clear sticky substance could be? Car is over 4 years old but with low miles. Looks almost like a clear sugary liquid but has more substance to it than plain H2O.

T I A folks for any help. Will take it in 1st thing Monday morning to my mechanic. Luckily I don't need to drive it till then. :(

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

• bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    Just found out that Honda has issued a service bulletin (11-031) extending the warranty on the horrible plastic sun visors that split open and refuse to snap back into place.

So if you're within 7 years or 100,000 miles of the original date of purchase, you can get them replaced for free. Still can't believe how crappy these things are, but at least Honda is taking some responsibility (finally).
  • wbeattiewbeattie Member Posts: 9
    I don't believe that it has anything to do with Honda stepping up to the plate to take responsibility for the sun visors. It has more to due with a class action proposed settlement from the Superior Court of The State of California. I sold my Civic because of all the quality issues and serious suspension problems on this car. I did have a visor replaced under warranty when I owned the car.
    edited June 2011
    I also had the drivers side visor break and Honda did replace it. Can I just go in and have the other one replaced even though it hasn't broken yet? It's just a matter of time!

T I A for an answer to my question. Still love my '06 LX even though I've had a few warranty issues taken care of! With 31.6k on the clock, am hoping it'll last until 2016 at least!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    wbeattie, you are totally right. My mail today included "important legal materials" from "Rust Consulting," which outlined the terms of the class action settlement. So that's why Honda is suddenly so flexible on the visors.

The thing is, I don't think the visor design has changed/improved one bit so they will keep on falling apart, though at least you can now get them replaced for free.
    edited June 2011
    This error message pops up each time I start the car and it started yesterday morning. I filled the tank and turned the cap at least 5 times so I know it's on tight now. How many start cycles should it take for this message to finally go away?

T I A all.

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

• sheastersheaster Member Posts: 6
    My 2006 Civic did the same thing. Did you check the seal on the gas cap? I did a visual on mine and it was obviously bad. It looked shredded. The dealership finally replaced the cap after first trying to convince me that I needed to simply turn the cap a few more clicks.
    Just looked at it and it looks brand new actually...I usually turn it so I hear that clicking noise 4 or 5 times. Isn't there a certain number of start cycles the car must go through to get rid of this code? Also, is the gas cap something that is warrantied for many years? My '06 Civic is 5.5 years old now but the mileage is pretty low, just over 31.6k on the odometer. Not sure if the dealership will swap out the cap as a warranty issue.

This is the 1st real problem I've had with this car besides some tsb's done. Also, will this affect the car and do some damage in the future?

edited July 2011
    Just called and they told me if the warning light doesn't go off, they would charge for a new cap. Hopefully within a week or two, the message will finally cycle off. Worth a shot anyways. If not, I'll just buy the replacement cap.

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

• civic_visorcivic_visor Member Posts: 1
    I work with one of the law firms representing the plaintiffs and class members in a case against Honda regarding Honda Civic sun visors. We have reached a settlement with Honda in the case. If you own or lease (or previously owned or leased) a Honda Civic (model years 2006 through 2008, as well as some 2009 models) you might be eligible to receive settlement benefits--including an extended warranty on the visors and reimbursement for what you paid out-of-pocket to repair your sun visor. I can email you the notice that was sent to the class regarding the case and the settlement, if you send a request to BillieMizell@rhdtlaw.com. You may review it to see if your vehicle is covered under the settlement and if you are entitled to benefits. The notice contains information on how to submit a claim for reimbursement if you paid out-of-pocket to repair or replace your Civic sun visor. If you have questions, feel free to call me or attorney Steven Tindall at 415-421-1800, or log onto www.visorsettlement.com.
    It took about 30 new starts to clear the code...finally. Glad this worked out so well. Also glad to hear about the "visor" settlement...my driver's side visor broke about two years ago but the dealer replaced it as a warranty item. According to the settlement, still have two more years if one of them breaks again...good deal!

Must say, still very happy with my Civic...due to circumstances beyond my control, I hardly drive now and still haven't hit the 32k mark...31,701 now. Not complaining mind you, as I plan to keep this car until it dies! :)

• windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    I'm posting this pretty much twice...hopefully will get twice the feedback! (?)

My sister has been out of the country this summer so I've been driving and maintaining her 06 Civic Coupe (on top of my own 2010 Corolla). Over the past few years of ownership (bought in 08 with 77k miles...routine maintenance was done, etc) I've bought new tires, new spark plugs (currently at about 109k now) etc. I've gotten several alignments done at the dealership, but the car seems to pull to the right. Any thoughts?

Also, we recently replaced the front brakes/rotors because the cars steering wheel would shake horribly when braking from highway speeds. They also had to replace the brake fluids. This resolved the steering wheel shake, but now I feel like I have to use A LOT of force to pull the emergency/parking brake up. What could that be?
  • munchiniwamunchiniwa Member Posts: 1
    My daughter's 2007 Hybrid just had the same problem. Everything works but the screen is dead. Did you find out what is causing it? Looks like its about $1,600 to replace it.
    Just found out my a/c compressor is bad and need some advice about what to do? Car has been out of warranty for about 26 months, it's an '06 LX, but the mileage is at about 32.2k miles, a bit low for the age of the car. Any help would be appreciated on how to proceed with Honda. :)

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

• trick18trick18 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    My 07 civic with 78,000 just had this issue while my wife was drivig to VT. Gas station mech said he had never seen this before the fluid was pouring out the front of the block. We took it to the dealer and they were not suprised at all. Have to go pick it up this weekend, then it will be traded in. So far it has had the rear bearings replaced, rear suspenion arms, sunvisor and now the engine. Hope nothing goes wrong on the way to anither dealer. The reason I bought it because it was supposed to last for 200,000 miles :mad:
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Yes, this is the cracked block issue that is well documented on 06-08 Civics. It became a large enough issue that Honda of America issued an extended engine warranty for just this reason. You, as a registered owner, should have received a copy of this, I received one in the January/February 2011 time frame. It basically extends the engine warranty 3 years beyond the expiration of the original engine warranty (60K miles I think) with unlimited mileage. So, with this in hand you should be able to receive a new engine (long block?) at no expense to you. Check this out if you do not already know about it. So, Mr. isellhondas here is another to add to that "small number" you state are afflicted with this.
  • ihatehonda1ihatehonda1 Member Posts: 2
    Buyer Beware!!!I have a 08 accord and a 06 civic and nothing but problems, like brakes needing replacing at 30k tires at 35k and thats not including all the problems I have with the civic. The 06 civic has a list of problems and several class action lawsuits. Sunvisor, tire wear, upper control arm just to name a few. The biggest complaint is that Honda doesn't stand behind thier product when it's an obvious engineering flaw in their design. I'LL NEVER BUY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good bye Honda. POS
  • alysanalysan Member Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for this posting. I was unaware of this extended warantee and thanks to this has changed.
  • drgordondrgordon Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I know it's been a few years I was just wondering where you got your information about honda installing bad struts? When I bought my 2005 CRV I noticed a problem with the suspension. The honda mechanic said it was nothing. Finally took the care to my mechanic and he said it was blown and probably always was. I want to take the honda mechanic to court and i'd like more information about faulty parts. Thanks
  • gerigygerigy Member Posts: 5
    I AM A (WAS) HONDA LOVER, MY 2006 CIVIC WENT DEAD LAST NITE WHILE DRIVING , KIND HELPFUL STRANGERS HELPED GET IT TO THE CURB, I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN, LEARNED FROM REPAIR IT NEEDS A NEW ENGINE, LESS THAN 20K MI, ENGINE BLOCK BOLT BROKE, THEN 2ND TOW TO HONDA WHICH I PAID FOR, GOT TIRED OF WAITING FOR HONDA TO GET BACK TO ME, NOW AT HONDA DEALERS, CAN'T BELIEVE MY BABY IS DEAD/KAPUTIN! WHAT HAPPENED? I HOPE AND PRAY HONDA WILL COVER THIS
  • lakerskobelakerskobe Member Posts: 31
    Why should Honda pay for a new engine when it's so far out of warranty?

Remember it's 3 years OR 36k miles.... mileage may be under by it's been 7 years. Therefore they are not obligated to repair it.

Maybe they may do it anyways due to the low mileage but only if they're feeling generous.
    Absolutely, the warranty on my low mileage 2006 Civic, under 42k, was 3/36 and the problems I had were over the year limit. They wouldn't pay for all of it, only 1/2, which I was happy to get but I expected nothing!

the bolt is defective , Honda had a recall and I later learned they replaced the bolt in 2010 on my auto, now it went bad again, the bolt is DEFECTIVE and that is the reason for the problem, the bolt didn't go dead just now for the first time ; they did extend the warrantee to possibly cover this, I don't understand your reluctance to understand the material is shoddy and they should cover it, Honda lives by its reputation
    it happened to me two years ago, I started getting pricing for replacement and accidentally learned that Honda dealer would replace due to recall or law suit
    I WAS WITHOUT MY CIVIC FOR CLOSE TO A WEEK WHILE THE DEALERSHIP DECIDED THE OUTCOME , SAID THE ENGINE WAS OK, THEY WOULD REPLACE THE BOLT AND OTHER ITEMS, I CALLED THE HEAD OFFICE IN CALIFORNIA AND SUDDENLY DUE TO MY LOW MILEAGE AND STEADY CUSTOMER FOR YEARS AT ARLINGTON,VA DEALERSHIP THE BOLT WAS REPLACED, HONDA COVERED THE COST, AT THE MOMENT I AM HAPPY TO HAVE MY OLD FRIEND CIVIC WORKING AND I ALWAYS LIKED MY CIVIC, HOWEVER, FROM READING BLOGS THE BOLT WAS REPLACED TWICE, ONCE TO RECALL AND LATELY FAILING, I DON'T KNOW WHETHER I WILL KEEP THE CAR
  • lmcarroll7868lmcarroll7868 Member Posts: 2
    My 06 civic recently had a cracked engine block and was subsequently rebuilt by honda (since they issued an 8 year extended warranty due to the frequency of that problem). Now it looks like my transmission is messed up as well. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and are there any secret extended warranties that I don't know about??? Please help!!!
  • vhalevhale Member Posts: 1
    We are having the very same problem. The engine was rebuild and immediately started showing a code for a transmission. The dealership that replaced the engine said just keep driving the car it would be ok but now the transmission totally went out and is having to be replaced for $4000.00 neither Honda or the dealership will help in any way.