Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    So, the glove-box noise persists after more than a full year of production with no official fix in sight? Mine was bought in Oct of 2005 and was one of the first built in Ohio. While you may be pleased with yours I am not. I have experienced leaking/noisy shocks and both rear sides were replaced. You state the 2000 Civic also had this problem so after 6 or more years Honda STILL uses a supplier of sub standard shocks and struts? Additionally, I just had the "lug-bug" noise repired...again after a full year for Honda to issue a service bulletin. Sadly the interior plastic trim on the doors,at least, is cheap and scratches with just a look. I am talking about the "waffle" pattern on the EX sedan surrounding the door pull/armrests. Finally, the fabric on the driver seat bolster is shifting and wearing prematurely as is the material on the welt or bead around the bolster. None of these things are "major" but not what I expected on this my first ever Honda. I had hoped to give up my seat in the customer waiting lounge but I find I still warm one...even with a Honda! By the way this car currently has about 6600 miles of use..
  • res046xkres046xk Member Posts: 8
    I agree with rosseter 110%. Don't mess around with your head rests under any cirsumstances.

Art
  • jeff_parjeff_par Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate you insight into the problems. Just one question though. Have you noticed the crackling or cracking noise from the plastic around the hvac controls and radio. I realize it is a hard plastic and I think it may have to do with te cold weather and it expanding and contracting. I just want to know if it is an isolated case, an hence a defect, or if this appears on other cars. As an added note, most modern cars todays plastics are very easy to scratch. This is further enhanced due to the fact that Honda decided to go with a higher quality feeling soft, rubberized plastic. Looks and feels better, but unfortunately as you pointed out is much easier to scratch. That was one of the issuesthat first came to mind when I tried the car out. This if course is only made worse if you wear jewelry or rings. My first new car was a toyota, with similar plastcis on the doors, dash a shifter,and I learnt the hard way to take off my rings before getting into the car.
    With regard to any creaking or crackling noises from the center stack..no,I haven't noticed this in any weather hot or cold so you may have an isolated case. I would try driving another new one off the lot on a chilly day. We don't seem to have a scratch problem on the "rubberized" parts on the dash.Well, maybe around the ignition key but the door trim is another story. My wife mostly drives this and she has long fingernails which probably doesn't help. But still.. If you or anyone else figures out the source of the "glove-box" noise please post it. I am keeping close tabs on Alldata for a Honda fix in the form of a service bulletin.
  • lvtltnlvtltn Member Posts: 10
    I hope some one can help me with the transmission noise. When I put in D, about half a second later its make a clicking noise, its even louder when the engine is cold (higher RPM). Is it normal for the Honda? My 2001 Honda do not had that sound. Thanks for the help.
    Yes this is normal, at least mine also makes this click. I presume it is a function of the electronically controlled transmission engagement. I do not drive off with the engine at high or cold idle (~1500 RPM) speed but usually wait until it drops to at least 1K RPM..transmission engagement is less of a shock to the drivetrain.
  • caltj1999caltj1999 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to this message board I was able to get my '06 Civic fixed... For the past month I've been hearing a high-pitched tone over my engine when I hit the accelerator. Someone here said to have the serpentine belt replaced -- I did just that and the annoying sound is gone!
  • mrfree00mrfree00 Member Posts: 8
    I am having similar experiences with you too. It started not long ago, don't remember exactly when. The plastic section of dash board makes cracking noise. When I push the plastic part around radio, I can hear the similar cracking noise too. I am still having problem with so called "glove-box" rattling noise and brought it back to different dealers twice. The first one didn't find the problem, the second one thought it was misalignment of glove box. So they readjusted the glove box and after they did that, the glove box started making click noise (the clicking noise will disappear when I drive with glove box open). I still need to bring the car back to dealer that get that fixed. Just getting tired of bringing the car back to dealer over and over again and old problems didn't get fixed but new problems pops up after they try to fix the old ones. :mad:
  • pbargerpbarger Member Posts: 1
    Today I noticed that when I push the 'lock' button twice upon leaving my car, the horn won't beep on the second push (indicating the security system is activated). It appears as though the system is armed (the red lights inside the car blink), but I'm not sure why the horn has stopped beeping when I lock the doors twice. The horn works otherwise. I'm just curious if anyone has had this problem? I really don't feel like taking it to the dealer, but this is kind of annoying...
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Check the owner's manual. I think you can program it to beep or not beep.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

It is not necessary to push the lock button twice. One push locks all doors and activates security however it takes two pushes to UN-lock all 4 doors. One only unlocks the driver side door.
  • civicriderzcivicriderz Member Posts: 4
    yea i got same prob with the car rolln to the right alot ..

i took it to the dealer and it they realignd the axles .. checkd the pressure on the tires to see if the right tire was a little under air'd or pressure w.e .. it seems that since we drive on the right side of the road .. we, most of the time turn to the right .. so basically u put pressure on the right side .. so u lose air .. thats what they basically came up with .. its a common prob with FWD cars
    Honda has just issued a service bulletin # 06-060 that addresses the glove box noise experienced by many of us 2006 Civic 4 door owners. Briefly there is a range of serial numbers affected on cars built in all three locations, Japan, Canada, and Ohio U.S. of A. The range goes from car 6S000001 thru 6S010546 on Japaneese built cars "J". Car 6L000001 thru 6L147776 on Ohio built cars "1" and 6H000001 thru 6H527690 on Canadian built cars "2".
    Symptom: A rattle from the right front of the vehicle when driving over bumps at 15-20 mph
    Probable cause: The passenger side hydraulic side engine mount is cavitating making a rattling sound.
    Corrective action: replace the side engine mount. rubber assembly (Hydraulic side engine mount) part # 50820-SNA-033 H/C 8478620. There are various new flange bolts and flange nuts included in this kit. Finally.
  • ajbchoajbcho Member Posts: 44
    I'm having a really strange problem (at least for me anyway)with my 07 Civic EX AT 4door. I live in the Midwest. During winter, the city dumps tons of sand and salt on the road after snow storms. I've only had my car for 6 weeks. In the 6 weeks, a rock has been thrown in between my brake rotor and the dust shield and it will not pop out.
    The 1st time this happened. I thought something got loose as the car rolled, I'd hear a really load metal to metal grinding sound. Took it in to the dealership and they had to remove the entire rotor according to them to get it out.
    Two weeks later, same thing again. A pebble is stuck between the dust shield (the black metal piece on the inside of the tire by the rotor) and rotor.
    I've never had this issue with any of my cars including 91 Civic, 90 Accord, 00 Prelude, 03 Accord, 04 Odyssey and 06 Odyssey.
    Both times have been in the driver front wheel. If this is going to be a regular thing. I think it might be time for a replacement as I don't have time stop by the dealer every time this happens and I'm not going to take apart the rotor myself each time. Other than this and still not getting used to how low the Civic is (i keep smacking my head on the door jam :blush: ), I really like it. Anything I can do to prevent this from happening on a continuous basis?
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    If I replace the horn with a real horn do I need a horn
    relay or can the current available handle the increased load?HOOOONK!
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    Your problem has been with pebbles in your rotors, some are having problems with rock and pebbles going into the a/c condenser and causing leaks. So keep your eyes on the condenser. Some have made a wire type shield and installed it to protect their cars condenser after Honda said it WOULD NOT replace their ruptured condenser. Hope you find the answer to your problem!! :shades: :)
  • rupnok1rupnok1 Member Posts: 29
    This has happened twice to me over the years (not w/this civic). both times I was able to get it out myself by stopping as soon as possible and reversing for a few feet.
  • rupnok1rupnok1 Member Posts: 29
    there's a loose bit of something in my dash right where the top of the plastic around the radio meets the rest of the dashboard. depending on a combination of temperature and road surface it can buzz like a bee in a soda can.
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    This morning I got a message on my car to check the gas cap. I checked in right away and it was on tight. Does anyone know if there is some kind of problem with this thing. I always make sure that I put my gas cap on tightly. I was really surprised to see this message this morning considering it wasn't on there when I drove my car last night.
    There could be one of two issues in play here:
    1.)an actual fuel cap or pressure sensor failure. OR
    2.) Honda issued a service bulletin (#06-086 issued on 8 Dec 06)indicating a software update is needed if the MIL light illuminates and DTC P0455 (fault code) is found. A large SN range of 2006 Civics is potentially involved.
    Of course there may be other issues also but this may be a good place to start. Keep in mind if there was some kind of a "tightness of the cap" problem and you re-tightened it it takes a specific number of restarts to automatically clear the code. This is assuming a loose cap was at fault in the first place and re-tightening was all that was needed.
  • ehunteehunte Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2007 Civic Sedan EX with automatic transmission. After about 300 miles I began to notice a thump in the transmission. This thump happens when I come to a stop sign and the car is shifting itself back into first gear. I can feel it kick, especially if I don't come to a complete stop. The problem also occurs when shifting from Park into Drive.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can figure out.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had exactly the same msg 2 days ago. I checked the cap and it seemed to be ok (it did it when the tank was about 1/4 full). I re-started the car several times and even filled the tank but the message still appeared. I called the Honda dealer and they told me to wait about a week for the message to disappear - if not to bring it in. I was not aware of the TSB mentioned above so I'll wait and then bring it in along with the TSB # to make sure they are aware of it.
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Ladies N Gents,

8000 miles later with many issues on my car. I am bring the car in this Wednesday with corporate involved. This post is not about those problems.

I now have tremendous amounts of deep and shallow scratches covering every window on my car. The glass looks 2+ years old on a car with only 8000 miles.

They are so bad in the sunlight you eye catches the scratches instead of looking through the glass.

On my other honda civic board, 10 people have already replied with major glass problems, scratches, swirls, shallow pits, etc etc.

My glass is only touched by microfiber cloths and glass cleaner.

If you saw them in person on a sunny day you would not believe it.

I advised all of them to inform honda.

The glass hardness is not hard enough or it's just to soft or something.

My wife's 05 corolla with 15,000 miles, her glass looks brand new compared to mine and I clean them the same way.

Others have reported getting scratches from using paper towels and glass cleaner.

On a very sunny day sit inside the car and look through the window towards the sun.

I am pretty sure some of you will see what I am talking about.

This is yet another issue to add to my growing list of problems.

When the car goes in this Wednesday for the myriad of TSB's I am having issues with, I will show them the glass with the posts from other owners.

I know what you are saying "good luck" as you know they are giong to say it's the owners fault but not if enough people start informing honda.

Please check your glass and if you notice it looks crappy for a newish car, let them know!!
  • ehunteehunte Member Posts: 2
    I have a civic sedan EX and I can see round circles in the glass on my sunroof. They are perfect circles about the same size as a drinking glass. I see them through the inside of the car. It doesn't bother me but it is weird.
    I did hear about those from other people as well but don't know what to make of them since I don't have them.
  • battlestationsbattlestations Member Posts: 14
    My 07 Civic Ex Coupe has the circles all over the windshield, all perfectly spaced. I suppose it has something to do with the robot that places the glass on the assembly line. Anybody heard a bonified reason?
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    I took my car in over the weekend as my gas cap is always on tight. Supposedly you can get this message from over filling the tank.
    Exactly..all large pieces of glass e.g. windshield, rear window, sunroof and maybe even side glass is handled by a specialized piece of equipment using suction cups to lift and position these parts during assembly. Those circles are nothing more than the evidence of that proceedure. They should have been cleaned off during pre delivery prep (mine weren't either). Simply use Windex and a towel and clean as usual...
    So, what was the reason given?? Overfill can cause the evaporative vent (fumes from the tank are routed to evap canister underhood...stored there and returned to the tank)to be flooded with raw gas. The fuel system is designed to be a closed loop with everything sealed. Any pressure drop indicating a leak in this seal will also trigger a code.
    Regardless of what you use to clean your windows. Take it easy and don't us alot of pressure as myself and others are starting to find out their glass on their cars scratches way to easily with everyday cleaning supplies.

I know I can talk for myself. My windws (I only use glass cleaner and microfiber cloths) are a freakin mess with scratches and grooves.
    Okay, got a call from Honda today after dropping off the car a few hours earlier.

Without me going into a whole drawn out story (My norm, hahaha)the service manager did admit he slightly heard the drown at 1400 RPM. He is ordering the replacement belt kit.

With regards to the front right hand clunk. They said they did not hear any clunking (funny on the way home, I heard it plenty) but they are also ordering the motor mount replacement. I think they did this since my vin # falls in the range of affected cars.

With regards to the alignment/offset steering wheel. The last dealership did the 4 wheel alignment right but left the steering offcenter. They are going to center the steering wheel without having to redo the alignment. It's a minor adjustment.

With regards to the cold steering clunk, they could not reproduce it because they did not let the car sit long enough. I did go back later in the day but the car needs to sit for 5 hours or more before it does the noise.

They will look into that when they fix the belt and motor mount.

I am happy to say I made some progress today. This dealership thus far is much improved of the one that saw my car 4 times. I just now hope the repairs are done right.
  • kittykat52155kittykat52155 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Civic. It started making noise that at 27 -29 mph, which turns out, is from the differential. Has anyone had this problem? It's been in the shop for 18 days so far.
    Nope, not yet on emine. I am only at 8000+ miles though. Let us know what happens at the dealership!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Has anyone swapped out their steelies & hubcaps for any Honda alloys? I'm seriously thinking of doing this...I've found some 16" Accord wheels but am having trouble finding the exact fitment and offset numbers. If anyone knows the exact figures that will fit on our Civic's (LX & EX), that would be greatly appreciated.
    I really don't like the look of the hubcaps and would love to swap them out, but could really use the correct information. T I A guys.

The Sandman :)
  • rossgrossg Member Posts: 4
    FYI for anyone that may come across this problem. I had my 06 civic repaired under this tech service bulletin(06-060), and it was a definite fix for the "glove box" noise which is actually the motor mount.
    Eventhough you are thinking of accord rims, I highly suggest going to tirerack.com for rims/wheels as they have the knowledge to make sure the rims/wheels you get will fit right, etc.

They have great pricing as well, you might be surprised.

With regards to the 16"accord wheels, if they are used, I would have them check to make sure they are not out of round. Used rims/wheels can cause constant balancing issues.

Sometimes for the extra little money, new can be the way to go.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    As the dealer said, the "check gas cap" message went away on it's own after about a week and many restarts. I am surprised it takes so long, but I guess that's normal for the Civics. Since I always make sure that the gas cap clicks several times after a fill up I am not sure why it came on in the first place.
  • tjs0179tjs0179 Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 07 civic coupe EX and i here a kind of a clicking noise on the speedometer. it only seems to happen when the car is in motion. does anyone have this problem?
    I had the Lug Bug belt swap yesterday and the car seems to have a bit higher shift points than before...but that could be my imagination. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

My car is going in this Thursday for the belt and mount. Will let you know how it goes.

I can't wait not to hear that damn annoying droning noise at 1400-1500 rpm.

I hope the mount solves my right front clunk noise.
  • tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    I had the mount replaced back in November when the dealer has the "draft" TSB. The sound stayed. Honda sent out a Field Engineer who spent the good part of a day with my vehicle. He verified I had the new mount and correct bolts. They ended up putting in a new strut. So far no noise.
    Whomever has had the TSB performed, did your gas mileage suffer any? Mine seems to have suffered a bit, but might just be my imagination. Any responses would help to put my mind at ease.
    T I A y'all.

I am dropping the car in the morning, I will ask them to check out the strut on the right side as well. I am having the belt kit installed and mount.

Did they say what was wrong with it and how they knew it was the strut?

I told them originally some people have the strut replaced and the guy did not believe me.
  • tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    The engineer could not replicate the noise while driving the vehicle over various road conditions. Some type of test equipment that amplifies sounds from the suspension was also used. He told me he examined the car very closely, which was verified by dealer staff. Based on his inspection and diagnostic testing, the engineer said the only thing that could be causing the noise would be the strut. It may have been an educated guess on his part. So far, no noise.

If the dealer cannot diagnose the problem, call Honda and ask them to send a Field Engineer to the dealer to inspect the vehicle. In my case, the engineer was there in less than 5 days.

As a side note, I spoke with a salesperson while waiting to pick up the car. He said he had a Civic to drive last spring and summer. He said there was a clunk from the right front on uneven surfaces at low speeds. Guess what? The right strut was replaced and the sound went away.
  • newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    I had the TSB performed about 4 weeks ago and have been tracking my gas mileage since. I normally drive 100% around town/stop and go driving and consistently get 25.5 per gal. The 1st tank was 24.1, but I assume that they had the engine idling while the car was in the shop. Next tank was 27/gal, which included a 50 mile highway trip and is normal. My current tank which is just past the half way mark, seems to be a little less miles than normal, but it may be due to cold weather past 5 days.(NJ) Time will tell if our mileage is affected. I also feel that the transmission is shifting a little differently, holding a second longer, but as you said it may be my imagination.
    I believe any perceived difference in fuel economy due to installing the service bulletin for "lug bug" is, in my opinion, is imagination and/or colder weather. Based on what is actually done for this fix there is no way it could affect fuel economy,shift points or any other engine or transmission function. Others have said the engine seems to have more pep and idle smoother but once again...no way. Maybe the absence of the noise tricks the mind into thinking the whole car sounds and runs better. I believe my car runs better when clean but being realistic I know better..its a state of mind.
    Car is now in for the belt and motor mount. I should have the car back today. I will know within 5 minutes if the mount fixed my right front clunk noise.

If it does not, I will print out some posts with regards to the strut being the problem.

I suspected very early on that it might be a strut or some internal part of the strut not working correctly.

Will give you guys an update tonight granted I get the car back today as a road down the block from the dealership, a concrete road with the expansion joints just in the right way to create the clunk everytime at 30-35 mph.

I still find it so hard to believe these guys who work for honda don't hear the noise when they drive the car.

Oh wait, I know why, they take it around the block and then go back to the dealership.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have a civic sedan EX and I can see round circles in the glass on my sunroof. They are perfect circles about the same size as a drinking glass. I see them through the inside of the car. It doesn't bother me but it is weird.

We had these on the window glass of our 2000 Odyssey, too. We never knew for sure, but our little hypothesis was that the glass was "suctioned" on to some robot that installs it into the frame. Those windows don't roll down (not in the 2000 model, only 2005-current). Your sunroof may be the same way?

It's an outlandish idea probably, but that's all we could figure. They were not very noticeable, and went away after awhile.
    Not an outlandish idea at all because this is exactly where they come from...the specialized equipment designed to handle/install glass in a safe way and that is via suction cup attachments. A vacuum is provided remotely suctioning (if that is a word) the cups to the glass then the vacuum is removed releasing the cups from the glass and on to the next windshield.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Well whatdya know! Thanks for clarification. I'm kind of excited knowing I guessed correctly. :)

Yeah, I know... it doesn't take much.