Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic 2006-2007 Issues

Comments

• themagethemage Member Posts: 6
    I just got a brand-new 2007 Civic EX and today I noticed that rolling the windows up and down slightly changes the shape of the door (as seen from the inside). Is that normal for a Honda?

Also, towards the 2/3 of the movement of the window the engine shudders/vibrates in a detectable way - is it trying to make up some more power for the electrical engines that push/pull the windows?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I too think that the engine is shifting a bit different also, like it holds onto the gear a little longer. My imagination...maybe. It just feels a bit different. Nothing scientific too back this up...just a gut feeling, real or perceived.

The Sandman :)
  • newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    Have you experienced the loud vibrating noise from the engine when idling at a red light or other stop with the car still in gear? This condition only occurs during extremely cold weather and seems to go away if the car has been running for 30 minutes or more. The TSB for the Lug Bug does not resolve this problem. (2006 LX sedan)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We live in South Florida and this morning was cold for us...47 degrees when I left the house at 6 a m. I've never yet experienced what you have been feeling. Guess it's just to warm down here.

The Sandman :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I just got a brand-new 2007 Civic EX and today I noticed that rolling the windows up and down slightly changes the shape of the door (as seen from the inside). Is that normal for a Honda?

Let me guess, it bucks out ever-so-slightly, right?

Normal to me; our Chrysler and Hondas have done this. Never caused a problem (no rattles, nothing)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have a hunch that 47 degrees is not what was in mind when "extremely cold weather" was mentioned. But maybe it's all relative. This weekend it's going to be 50 degrees colder than that where I live. And that's not even considered really cold for this time of year. Cars do start to sound different at those temperatures--if they make any sounds at all! :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The front inner door panels do flex inward somewhat as the windows travel up-down. This bothered me too until I witnessed another new one on the lot do it also. It still seems unusual for this to have to happen. Part two of your question...short answer, no.
  • vs4vs4 Member Posts: 70
    I have a 2007 Honda civic LX sedan Automatic. Whenever I have defroster or Air condition ON the headlights will flicker every minute or so, even the map lights inside if they are on.

I took it to the dealer and he said this is by design all honda civics do that, mine is a canadian version.

His explanation is that defroster or air conditioner draws power and that is why you see the flickering but this is very annoying and very noticeable?

Is this true that it is happening in all new civics more or less than mine?

I will appreciate any help in this regards.

In the mean time I am thinking of taking it to another dealership for another opinion and if that does not rectify it will call Honda Canada.

But if anybody else is experiencing this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
  • skeeter11skeeter11 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2006 civic ex made in canada with 14,500 miles and have not experienced any light flickering as you have described. It sounds like you are getting the standard honda response, "all civics are doing this by design" which honda seems to dish out when they do not have a clue and/or do not care what is causing a particular problem with their cars. If your headlights are flickering at night, that's a safety issue with the car. If honda continues to give you the runaround, file a claim with the national transportation authority and/or file a lemon law claim against honda. Be firm with them. Based on my automobile experiences, Honda has a lot to learn from Toyota regarding customer service and the willing desire to fix issues with their cars. Good luck.
  • benzlover1benzlover1 Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2007 Civic LX Coupe, VIN number 7H530688 and was astounded to read about the number of problems and TSBs people are having with this model. Can anyone tell me if I am affected by any TSBs according to my VIN. It is a Canadian production model (2).
  • emmermannemmermann Member Posts: 1
    When I left the dealership, and I hit my horn for the first time, and said, "Ok, that's gotta go". lol. I replaced the little whimpy horn with two 118 db 'Hella' horns. Much better! I used the cars stock wires, with no problems. Scared the crap out someone one the freeway the other day with the new horns! :)
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Benzlover1:

My 06 LX was canadian built and had many issues, 2 of which were solved by the belt replacement kit and motor mount.

I do hear of people with 07's having some of the problems of that 06's had.

Instead of looking for TSB's do you have issues with your car? If not don't worry about TSB's unless you have problems or start to have them. If you no noises and or problems, enjoy the car.

Emmermann:

I have noticed on many occassions just how bad the horn is on the 06 I have. I would also love to change the horn, how hard was it and how much did you new horn cost??
  • narutonaruto Member Posts: 6
    Hello People,

Does anyone have a copy of the TSB regarding the Lug Bug. I need this PDF because American Honda Motor Company has requested ALLDATA to deny access to Acura and Honda repair information, and my dealer always said that the car is good.

Thanks
    You can email me as I cannot post other forums where you can find it in printable form.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you have a link to where it is posted, you can share that here. (Yes, things have changed a bit. ;))
    Ahh, I wondered why I can no longer use the link to AllData. If Honda is so great why doesn't Honda Motor Co. want customers to see how few (MANY?)servive bulletins have been issued for the new design Civic? So,now I will have to beg the service dept to confirm that I may have an issue instead of just dropping a copy of an official "service bulletin" in front of them? Can't wait for this song and dance routine...also can't wait to get rid of this car (2006 Civic) and be rid of Honda period!!! Crummy customer relations...being told the car is wonderful over and over by the service department despite issue after issue doesn't cut it! Apparently they believe their own propaganda.
    This link should work for belt kit replacement

I was very unhappy with my civic but since the belt was replaced and the mount replaced I like the car better but still might trade in mid 07 as my glass is till an issue.

Make sure you car falls into the vin range before you show them the TSB.
    Oh,thanks for the "lug-bug" TSB but I have already had this one done. Still waiting to have the next one applied...the "glove box" noise A.K.A. motor mount replacement. My complaints are more general...the new Civic in total, well I still love the design though. My cloth upholstry (driver seat)pattern is already starting to become worn (2006 EX sedan @ 6745 miles)...interior door trim plastic (the waffle pattern) scratches with a glance. Relatively poor fuel economy yeah I expect to be bombasted by those extolling how great theirs is...not mine however. I have become convinced that however great a car Honda was in the early days it is now riding on that reputation. I intend to return to Hyundai with the purchase of a 2008 Sonata. One great thing about Honda remains..its resale value.
    I also had the motor mount done, made a big improvement over bumps.

I will try and find that one for you as well.

I am one of those whom are not totally thrilled with my civic but the belt replacement and mount fix has made more car more livable.

My doors on the inside are very scratched, my seats as well are wearing funny,etc.

My main point was these fixes take away some of my agitation but overall I am still not the happiest camper as I feel a new car should not need a motor mount replaced, etc etc.

Both Honda and Toyota are suffering from "quantity over quality" issues as they strive to grow larger.

Honda's from the 80's and mid 90's had much better fit and finish.

Korean manufacturers are either equal or now surpassing other car companies with superior products. They say koreon cars are the new Japanese cars. I would never bash a current Hyundai as they are now great cars at a very good price.

Hyundai parts though are very expensive just keep that in mind. I know this for a fact from an auto body shop friend I have.
    Thanks but I have already found the TSB fixing the motor mount and printed it before my link to All DATA was eliminated. I tend to agree with you about Honda/Toyota getting "too big for their own good" however and I firmly believe they now ride on their previous great reputation to a large degree..a new 2007 Civic EX exactly the same as my 2006 now tops $20K sticker (mine was $19,680 I think)and for that I believe than a non-Honda entrenched (read open minded) person can buy a lot more car for the money.
    Also, I have previously owned 2 Hyundai Santa Fe's plus my son owns a 2000 Elantra (150K miles) and daughter has a 2003 Elantra. Didn't spend anything on either Santa Fe (no repairs except digital clock display went blank at times on the 03..replaced while there for a state inspection) The 2000 Elantra has had no unusual repairs either other than a replaced alternator last fall. I lied, the exhaust manifold and cat converter is one piece and it has cracked twice, both times replaced under an extended warranty. So having had nothing but good experiences with Hyundai has prompted this decision. Sad to say this experience with Honda has soured my first experience with the brand.
  • bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    This is so troubling and disappointing. After just a few months of ownership, my '07 Civic EX coupe has starting problems.

It's happening on and off, so most of the time things are fine. But anywhere to once every few weeks to once every few days, I turn the key and the engine cranks but won't start. Sometimes, it finally starts when I give up and turn the key back to the "ON" position. Other times, I try a second time and it starts, but weakly.

Is this happening to anyone else?

The car is going to the shop next week to see what's going on. But this is exactly what I was hoping to avoid by buying a Honda.
  • mrcoltmrcolt Member Posts: 4
    Hi targettuning,
    Try searching for your Honda TSB at http://www.iamsam.com/tsb.aspx
    The last time I looked, they were still offering Honda TSBs for sale. You can sign up for a free account and search for the TSB to make sure it is available before buying. They charge just $2 to buy an individual TSB.
  • chadrappchadrapp Member Posts: 35
    My wife has an 06 Civic for less than a year and has had to take it in twice because of warped rotors. The last time in they told us it was because we have not had the rear brakes adjusted. Anything to this? Any help is appreciated.
  • skeeter11skeeter11 Member Posts: 33
    I have an 06 civic ex MT. Today I noticed that if my car is at a resting idle and I step on and release the accelerator quickly, I can hear a strange sound that resembles air being sucked into the engine. Anyone have any thoughts what this might be? Is it normal or something that I need to take into the dealer to have diagnosed? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Chardrapp,

With regards to warped front rotors, a person is suppose to use their parking brake at least once a day. Rear drum brakes are kept in adjustment by using the parking brake.

If one does not use the parking brake regularly, the rear drums can become out of adjustment and when you hit the brake the brake pads do not come into contact with the rear drum. This makes the front brakes work much harder and get much hotter thus the warping.

This happened in my wifes 05 corolla until she started using the emergency brake every day.

Skeeter11

I have not noticed this noise/sound, however, if the car run fines don't worry about. If you notice any change in the way the car runs, bring it in.
  • jrouxjroux Member Posts: 1
    The same thing is happening to me! My 2007 Civic EX Sedan is also having starting problems. It happens sporadically and for no apparent reason. It's been at the dealer for the last 3 days with them trying to duplicate the problem - so far no luck.

Have you had any luck in determining the cause?
    Most people don't know that the new civics require the key to be put in the ignition and turned to just before you crank the car and you have to leave the key at that point for about 10 seconds.

I read and heard it has to do with fuel pressure and the computer.

I always wait a few seconds and never have staring problems.

If I just put the key and turn immediately, I have starting problems.
  • dgd16dgd16 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 07 civic lx coupe mt. I have only had it 2 weeks, so I have been driving it easy until it hits 1000 miles. I am not sure where and when it was actually built. I have been noticiing a little hesitation when I accelerate, when it is already in a gear. I also notice that if I am going through the gears quickly, the engine seems to hang after 3000 rpms. I am not sure if this is a result of the car not being totally broken in, or there is a problem. Has anyone else experienced this? The only other thing I notice is the windows do not seal well. I hear wind noices on the highway.
    I never did this...waited 10 seconds...before attempting to crank the engine and I don't have any starting problems. I wonder if any of this could be related to the key code matching the engine immobilizer function?
  • ajbchoajbcho Member Posts: 44
    I had the same issue with my 07. Wouldn't start or tried to start and shut down. Read about the waiting for all the lights and sounds to stop before starting. Seems to work, but every now and then. The car just seems really weak when starting.
    I'm in the I.T. biz and we jokingly call bugs in applications, "undocumented features".
    I think I found one in my 07 EX AT sedan. I usually have a drink whenever I'm driving and started to realize my pop or water would get warm really quickly. One day I dropped some change into the cup holders and realized the cup holders themselves were really warm/almost hot, esp. the one up front. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my car. My past several cars, the cup holders have been integrated into the center console which moved so they were not fixed to floor. I can't recall if I had this issue with any cars I've owned with cup holders in a similiar location/design. :confuse:
    dgd16,

There is a TSB with regards to wind noise at highway speeds on the 4 door civics.

There is a piece of weatherstripping that goes along the length of the window. It is suppose to go all the way to the end where the mirror is but it does not on some cars. There is a little gap there. This gap along with the design of the mirror causes a pressure to build up and causes a whistle or wind noise.

Most dealerships are aware of this TSB and you can go check behind your side mirrors, see if the black weather stripping goes to the end behind the mirror and look for a small gap or space. They install a small piece of foam like material with an adhesive back that fills the gap and removes the wind noise.

ajbcho,

With regards to the cup holders being warmed. There is a known issue with some cars. Under the cup holder is an air duct. This duct does not seat correctly on the point it attaches to or it comes loose. I have seen photos of it on other forums (8thgencivic.com) where people had to make their own fixes to keep the duct on the point it connects to and that solve the problem. It seems like a pain in the butt to fix. There is not TSB I know of yet for this.

My LX sedan does not have this problem yet but any big bump can cause the duct to come loose from what the photos show.
  • bellagiobellagio Member Posts: 16
    I took it to the dealer and of course, the car started perfectly every time. The service manager said everything was tested (battery, electrical system, etc.) and there was nothing wrong. He said it's normal for the car to take several seconds to start. NOT!!!!

My previous car was a Civic and it had no such problems. Why would a brand new car have starting issues? At this point, it's happening to me every few days.

There's a long thread about this on another civic forum.
    Go to link title then scroll down to "Starting Issue/Ignition Issue."
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It would be great for our community if you or anyone experiencing this would fill us in on what they are talking about over there.
    Thanks kero1. Exactly what I was looking for.
    Read the tips from the other site and just finished up fixing the duct issue. Mine was completely knocked off from the duct connected to the dash.
    Was a really easy fix. Took me about 10 actual minutes to get the screw in to hold the 2 pieces...but it took about 40 minutes total.
    Some notes for anyone trying to do this.
    -Not much room in there for big hands.
    -Have a small screw driver, did I mention it's really tight in there?
    -If not working outside have a flashlight.
    -Be very careful not to drop anything.
    -I lost my 1st set of washer and screw. I found the screw, washer is rolling around somewhere in the console.
    -I lost my phillips bit. Thought I was in the clear after I got my 2nd set of washer and screw in. As I pull the driver away. There goes my bit. I now have a washer and bit rolling around in my console.
    -I have 3 more nice looking scratches on the plastic. Plastic in car don't seem very durable, I barely touched the pieces.

kero1, at least for mine. I fitted the pieces together and LIGHTLY tapped the bottom piece, it fell off completely. Tried a few times to force the issue and the 2 pieces just won't stay put. We have alot of potholes where I live. I'm guessing this was what caused mine to pop off. Thanks again for pointing me to fix!
    I am happy you fixed the problem and no sweat on the help :)

I might have to do this one day to, how did you get off the cup holder to get underneath.

I forgot where on the other forum the post was, hehehe.

If possible, please email the link to the post so I can book mark it for future potholes.
    Tried to send a private msg, but Edmunds is going through some maintenance right now. It's the 4th sticky in the "Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum". Let me know if you still need the URL and I'll pass it your way.

You don't have to get under the cup holders. The duct is right under the little chubby/storage/AUX input. Just pull up the silver plastic cover for the shifter and then remove the bigger black housing under that and it's right there.
  • nealmnealm Member Posts: 41
    I have driver side rattles that seem to be coming from the inside plastic door panels on my '06 coupe. Rough road and stereo base sound seem to cause the vibration intermittantly. Talk radio voice base sounds cause distortion that is most annoying. Pressing my elbow against the plastic panel deadens the vibe it I find the right spot. Three complaints met by, first, an inability to replicate, followed by, "well I hope this works" annoyance that I am pressing the issue. Any advice?
  • dano100dano100 Member Posts: 22
    Like many on this forum, I believe Honda quality is slipping compared to what it used to be. I still feel they make the best engines in the world for mass produced cars but many of their other components are failing at an alarming rate. I have owned many Hondas over the years and can attest to this fact. Here's my list of cars and major problems (not incl. wear and tear items):
    1983 Accord (my first Honda)-- zero problems,60K miles
    1990 Civic - new struts @140k miles!!
    1997 CRV - zero problems -- 30K miles
    2001 Acura CL - transmission replaced @ 23K miles
    2003 S2000 - squeaking front strut @ 20K miles
    2004 S2000 - zero problems -- 12K miles
    2005 Acura TL - faded dash, suspension squeaks, numerous rattles, collapsing head liner
    2006 Civic - before 9K miles the drivers side fr. struts replaced TWICE, rear suspension noise, "lug bug" issue, interior that scratches just by looking at it!
    I was so upset with this Civic that I traded it in this weekend for a leftover 2006 Mazda6 s Grand Sport. With over $9,000 in dealer discounts, rebates, Auto Show coupon and Mazda Finance money I paid a little over $20,000 for it. For less $$$ than a Civic SI sedan I got a beautifully assembled car with a V6, 6spd. auto.,leather/heated seats, Bose/Sirius audio, beautiful 18" wheels, a 4yr./50K new car warranty.
    The 2 good things I can say about the Civic is it's trade in value was only $2000 less than I paid for it last year and the mpg was very good. But I will not miss that car. C'mon Honda, get your act together! :mad:
  • dano100dano100 Member Posts: 22
    I forgot to mention that the MAZDA6 has HID headlights too! This car is a screaming bargain. Although not as fast as the 2005 Acura TL we owned, it handles better, has a higher quality interior and although it doesn't have a memory drivers seat and NAV, I got it for $12,000 less! ;)
  • fpritchettfpritchett Member Posts: 7
    Have any other Honda owners experienced having a pebble or road debris damaging the AC condenser? I own a 2006 Civic EX coupe and last fall my AC stopped working. I took the car to the dealer from which it was purchased for a diagnosis. I was told road debris had damaged the condenser and that it was not covered under warranty. Cost to repair this is more than $700. I've since taken the vehicle to two independent mechanics who stated that the damage is minimal and should not have resulted in equipment failure.

I've found cases on other websites where this is happening on several Honda vehicles and in one case it has happened twice to the same vehicle/owner in less than a year.

Please help. I can't afford to pay this kind of repair bill on something that is apparently a bigger problem with Honda.
    One other consistent problem I've had is a vibration around the back speakers/window. It occurs while driving with no music on... and sitting still with the music on. I've had the vehicle to Honda numerous times and they keep puting more padding under the plastic trim (so much now the piece doesn't even fit properly) yet the noise continues.

My research told me Honda was a quality car but I am very much regretting this purchase. Honda customer no service has been as useless as a hot beer on an even hotter day.
    With regards to the pebble or road debris others have had this problem. Others after much fighting had gotten the repair done by honda at no charge despite it not being covered under warranty.

Your best bet is to get a regional manager involved and you know they saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". Sometimes finding the write service manager can also make a huge difference. Try more than one dealership.

With regards to the rear rattle, I have heard many different reasons from the rear deck, seat belt mounts, a window that was not seated correctly on the rear of the car, etc etc. I would open a case with Honda Care and request a field manager to get down and look at your car for both issues.
  • jcwiddesjcwiddes Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Honda Civic LX and I am having some major issues with it.....to the point that I feel it is unsafe to drive. When driving with 4 people in the car in winter weather, the car is all over the road.....the steering wheel does not move but the tires are everywhere...constantly having to oversteer, just to avoid an accident. My service manager has done a wheel alignment with 300 lbs in the car(max cargo weight is 850 lbs) and noticed a significant change in the alignment. This was all forwarded to Honda and they have stated that they are not doing anything about it because the car is driving how it was built to drive.....just curious if anyone else has noticed this issue. I already know of one other person that is feeling the exact same way.....and he works at the Honda Plant in Allison, ON.
    Jcwiddes,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Most of us here have had some or many problems with our new civics so you are not alone.

With regards to your problem, civics are not really the best car to carry 4 people in. The engines get very taxed and I believe the handling would be comprised as the rear weight plus a light front end would yeild in a car that might feel squirrely on the highway or at higher speeds.

The civic new front end is very light and any major weight in the back would cause the front end to not have as much contact with the road as should be.

I don't agree with honda as the car is a 4 door sedan and should be stable under most circumstances.

During the summer when my wife and I go camping with alot of weight in the trunk (such as wood and gear), the car on the highway definately does not feel as stable as my previous 05 subaru impreza.

I plan on trading this spring/summer my 06 LX civic, maybe for an Element or back to subaru.

Keep us posted and I hope you can get your issues solved. Call up the Honda Care Corporate line. Report the issues and problems and insist on a field manager to look at your car at a dealership and maybe drive with 4 people in the car and let him drive the car.
    Thanks, kero1. How do I identify the regional manager? I have been turned down by one dealer (where I bought the car) and a customer service guy in California. I will try to be nicer (I think that's what that old saying is about). Also, is Honda Care the same as customer relations/service in Torrance CA?
    Fpritchett,

Your best bet is to contact Honda Corporate Care line, document your case withe the rep. They will open a case. At that time, they normally advise to go to a dealership (in your area most of the time) that they deal with. They normall contact the dealership ahead of time and discuss the problems. Most times the dealership takes this seriously and takes care of the problems if they exist (only stated because they always think people are stupid about cars)

If at that point you don't get the assistance you need you call back the number and elevate the case to the next step which at that point the regional or field manager is normally called to meet you at the dealership with your car and the service manager to go over the issues/problems. If they don't do this, INSIST ON IT!!!

Just my advise. Be patient with the process because slow and steady wins the race. With the honda case open, you have more on your side then just going to a dealership that is not helpfull!
    Kero1,

I'm grateful to know at least somebody can guide me in the right direction. Much thanks. Have a blessed day. fp
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    You will probably not get anywhere with Honda Corporate. We have an '06 Odyssey with a droning defect that cannot be fixed (5 repair attempts).

I think we get upset with problems because we paid extra money to buy a Honda (compared to Dodge, Chevy, Hyundai, etc.) We expected zero defects and superior reliability, after all that's how Honda earned its reputation.

Your best bet is the dealer where you purchased the car. I was told they have the most leverage with Honda Corporate.

Unfortunately you will probably have to live with the issue or take a major loss & trade it in. We tried to make a deal with our Odyssey & trade-up one model year and the dealer wouldn't work with us. He gave us the same deal as the average Joe off the street.