Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• buckeye1024buckeye1024 Member Posts: 1
    I have lost all power to the front passenger side door. No power to the door lock, window or outside mirror. The fuses are fine. The dealership took a quick look at it, but didn't find anything obvious. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it back to the dealer for a more thorough and expensive look? Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would suggest either bad electrical connections or a defective switch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • miltimilti Member Posts: 14
    Dear Hosts,

Some assisstance please.

I have a 2006 X5 4.4 with 52,000 miles. Currently, my sunroof is stuck open in the vented position and the sliding cover is partially open by 3 to 4 inches. When I press the switch in any direction (to the front, to the back or up) nothing happens. I tried pressing up for 30 seconds and still no response.

I'm unclear how and when this happened. I only remember I used the buttons on my key to unlock the doors and let the windows go down. When I got in the vehicle I noticed the problem.

The owners manual says the unresponsiveness could of happened after the battery was diconnected--it was not. And that the system may have to be initialized.

Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased the vehicle at lease-end but have an additional 3 year 36,000 mile warranty--would this problem be covered?

thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The basic warranty is 4 years / 50,000 miles and it sounds like that would cover the sunroof (as opposed to it being a powertrain warranty).

So I guess the question is whether the additional 3/36 warranty you got when you purchased your X5 is a continuation of the "basic" one or does it just cover the powertrain. Probably going to have to read the fine print and ask the dealer.

There were some TSBs for water leaks in the front passenger side cabin, but that doesn't look related to the sunroof.

In the meantime, if you can find the right fuse, you could pull it and see if that resets the sunroof switch switch at all. That trick sometimes works with balky CD players.

Any owners here have sunroof problems?
  • miltimilti Member Posts: 14
    Thanks Steve!

The problem was fixed by changing the fuse in the glove box.

thanks again
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sweet. :shades:
  • lion2000lion2000 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2001 X5 4.4i. 130 miles after the two front axle assembly replacement, ABS and Break light comes on, Speedometer stopped, Techometer momentarily working, temp needle goes to max. After some web search, I decide to test the ABS Speed sensors myself.

After disconnecting the sensor connector in the wheel well, I measured the voltage coming out of the ABS module:
    0V - ignition off; 2.8V - ignition key pos 1; 2.5V - ignition pos 2.

Measured the resistance across the sensor terminals:
    Left front - 8.5MOhm; Right front - 8.2MOhm.

Attached a scope to the sensor output, spinning the front axle, I do not see any pulse coming out of the sensor.

Removing the sensor from the hub assembly, found iron powder on the sensor tip. cleaned sensor tip. Placing a magnet at the tip of the sensor and moving magnet, barely see any voltage change.

Looking into the sensor hole, spinning wheel, I do not see anything different after 360 deg rotation. It was just a metal drum. So what causes the sensor to pickup signal?

Now I am wondering if the sensor is bad, or installation of the axle causes the hub assembly to fail? :confuse:

Thanks in advance for your help!

//Leo
  • boykieboykie Member Posts: 6
    Is purchasing the 2 year/50K mi extended maintenance and warranty covering 6 years/100K mi worth it?
    Should you purchase both or just one?

BMW has a lot of electronics and I'm worried about the repair costs.
    I was offered with the extended warranties but I did not take them. Right now, on average, it cost me about $1500 each year including the maintenance. The extended warranty does not have the same coverage as the manufacturer's warranty and does not cover maintenance if I remember correctly. Warranty cost >$1500 each year. But it does bring you peace of mind just in case.

My X5 this year is in its 9th year, 109K miles and the cost of repair may go over $1500 depending the findings of this incident. It's time to consider a new car and I need to research to see if BMW X5 has improved its reliability in the new models.
  • timo2533timo2533 Member Posts: 1
    I made the mistake of buying a used 2003 BMW X5 from Carmax in Feb. 2007, with the extended warranty for $1,800. Since having the car, it has stalled in traffic about 13 times, massively shakes when the brakes are applied, and the transmission is slipping. Carmax said they fixed the rotors only to have the car shake again after 5 months. About two weeks ago, with my two year old in the car, it stalled in traffic and we were almost run over by a dump truck. Needless to say, my family has not been in the car since. I took the car to Carmax three times, and they never duplicated the stall, so, nothing was fixed. I took it to a BMW mechanic who said that this was a common problem and he wanted to do a software update. The Carmax warranty refused to cover the update and insuated that my mechanic should have lied and told him that he got it stall. Carmax then told me that they would send the car to a BMW dealership and have them look at the car. To make a long story short, no one could make the car stall, so, they would not do any work on the car and told me it was my problem, even though they knew it was an idling problem. I am now stuck with a car that I cannot have my family in and will most likely be out of a few thousand dollars to sell. I would recommend that you never buy a car from Carmax, and if you do, don't waste your money on the fraudulent warranty. I also recommend never buying a BMW, constant problems.
  • x5fixerx5fixer Member Posts: 2
    This is a common problem on 2001 and 2002 X5s These were defective from the factory and failure not related to usage. The good news is the glass does not break.
    your car can't be secured until repairs are made.
  • kris2kris2 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2005 X5 3.0 with around 45k miles and I have a leak from the bottom of the washer fluid tank. The leak is not from the tank itself but I can see the fluid dripping from the joint between the tank and the outlet. I called the dealer and they said basically they have to replace the entire washer fluid tank assembly (not the motor) and it will cost around $200-$250. This is after I told them where the leak was, else they wanted a $250 diagnostic to look at it because they think they have to rip out everything to identify where the leak is. I have an easycare extended warranty but pipes, tubes and leaks to plastics are not covered itseems. Wanted to check if anyone else heard of this kind of a an issue and if there is a quick fix other than replacing the entire thing. Thanks in advance.
    I would take fluid leak to a service station for such minor repair.

By the way, I had a leak on the coolant reservior cap. The worst part is the broken plastic and the rubber ring dropped into the reservior. (I hate BMW plastic parts!! Maybe that is why it is sports "activity", not utility vehiecle.) Does anyone know if this is going to break the water pump or create problem for thermostat? Thanks for the reply.
    Thanks lion2000. I got the leak fixed this morning under extended warranty that I have (EasyCare). Something near the rear pump got cracked and was leaking the washer fluid from close to the tank. They replaced the rear pump and the dealership charged 118 to the extended warranty firm. Probably it was much cheaper than replacing the tank but on a different note I wonder if extended warranty companies (like insurance companies and doctors) have a discounted rate for repairs.
  • westindianwestindian Member Posts: 25
    Hi everyone,
    Yesterday my 2005 X5 independent ventilation started on its own( when the suv is parked, keys out ignition) and now I can't get it to stop. I have followed the manual's instruction on putting key to position 1 and then pressing the left side of the BC button and I see that "Vent On" is showing. When I press it to "Vent Off" the BC light lights up momentarily and it reverts back to "vent on" and I can't keep it in the "vent off" setting. Any ideas? should I reset the OBC and if so, how? I have pulled the fuse to the blower in the meantime to stop my battery from going dead.
  • yodazeyodaze Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to adjust the angle of the headlamps on a BMW x5?
  • jford63366jford63366 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 BMW X5 which has been somewhat of a great car, but is no longer under warranty. I am hearing horror stories about the cost of replacing the car's battery. Can anyone shed some light on the cost of battery replacement and the location/access available to the battery?
    A compatible battery from Auto Zone is $95 and the battery is under the spare tire.
  • 6degrees6degrees Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2006 X5. Yesterday, the Self-Leveling Suspension Inactive warning, like this:

SELFLEVEL SUSP. INACT

showed up in the Check Control. After I stopped the engine and restarted it, the message was not on any more. I have not seen it since then.

On the manual (page 95), ask driver to check to see if the rear of the vehicle is visibly lower than the front. For my case, I did not see nor experience anything strange in term of the vehicle level and the driving of the vehicle.

Anybody had such experience with your X5 before? Does this indicate any serious problems to come? Any advice?

I googled the similar cases. I saw many people complained such message,but few really had problem. One guy suggested, check the 30A fuse for the Air Suspension, and just pull it and reinsert it.

I will call BMW service center to ask how to handle later.

Thanks.
    There a black screw when you open the hood and that will adjust the height of the lamp focus. The screw driver kind of thing that comes with the tools will only fit into that screw.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    I was at the dealership waiting for my X3 and the person next to me was waiting for his X5. He said that he had bought it brand new about two years ago for over $60,000 and he said it was in for service on average once a month.

He was done with BMW.

I am done with BMW.

That makes three of us.
    Follow up on #569, I had the display panel replaced since it is mission pixels. BMW picks up the cost of the panel, I pay for the $400 labor. Engine light still on. Diag test showed DSC module fault. DSC module $1500, labor $300. Problem solved.

Power window, two CV joints, DSC module, instrument panel, all together over $3000. Including two jobs done by a friend, not at dealer. Back in my mind, what is the next? ......
  • blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    I guess you have a jinxed vehicle. I have a 2005 X3 which has done 66000 miles in the last 4 years and has never been to the dealers except for routine maintenance. Recently had the 2nd oil service and is running like new. Bought a 2009 X5 diesel 3 months ago and I love it. However the vent fan/blower has stopped working a few days ago and I hope the car doesn't end up like your car.
    I have a 2009 X3 which has already been back to the dealership twice and come back unresolved for its undulating ride and jerky transmission. Lots of strange things going on with this car.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

I see 10 mpg or less in city driving and 14 in everyday driving.
  • blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    The average is 18 mpg for the 66K in X3 and 25 mpg for the 5K in X5D - mostly everyday driving.
  • lera39lera39 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE X5 2000 MY SELFLEVEL SUSP.INACT. IT SHOWED UP 3 MONTHS AGO AND CAME ON AND WENT OFF, THEN IT CAME BACK UP AND MY VEHICLE DROP VERY LOW AND HAD TO GET AIR BAG SWINGS REPLACE AND IT COST ALOT. THE COST TO FIX THE VEHICLE IS EXPENSIVE.
  • tbmfantbmfan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 X5 with 3.0 litre engine. Built in July 2008 and I bought it November 2008. Just turned 15K miles. When I start in the morning to drive to work (9 miles) or from work to home, the first couple of traffic lights I come to, if I have to stop I of course will. However as I lift my foot from the brake the car will downshift and slightly lunge. The first few times this happened I about soiled myself. Now I anticipate it. After driving a while it won't do it any longer. The dealer tells me they have installed the most up to date programming and that's all they can do. Anyone else have this problem and if you found a solution, what was it?
    I have a 2009 X3 with a really strong engine brake and a transmission that has a mind of its own.

Are you talking about the engine brake? Is the lunging you feel the inertia pulling you forward while the car slows down all by itself? Mine is so strong that when I turn a corner or head for a stop it will sometimes stop the car all by itself. I can also decelerate down moderately steep hills without ever hitting the brake.

It is finicky and intermittent.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    In spite of the information that you are receiving on another forum which I don't post at, I would urge you to try out the Lexus RX or the Acura MDX. I think you will be very pleasently surprised at how these SUVS perform.

Those guys are all European cool aid drinkers and you will get no sympathy from them. The two SUVS I mentioned above are excellent and nothing like your X-3.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

No, this is not while slowing down. When I'm at a complete stop and the light turns green I'll lift my foot from the brake pedal and before I can touch the accelerator pedal it seems the car will downshift into first. It feels like when you've downshifted too early with a manual transmission and the vehicle sort of lunges.

Mine is also finnicky and intermittent. It's the first and last BMW I'll ever own or lease not only for this but the 2 blown fuel pumps in the first 7 months and don't even get me started on how lousy BMW Assist is.
    I looked at the MDX as my wife has a TL. But they seem so sterile to me that I passed it up. I'm not sorry I passed on the MDX but am not at all happy with the BMW. My poor reports have directly influenced 2 friends who were in the car market in the last month to pass on BMW. They were both interested in 700 series sedans and went in other directions.
  • yodazeyodaze Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how you get the lamp covers off of the tail gate on the rear of the SUV. Neither one is working so I just need to get behind the covers or perhaps check the fuse box. Does anyone know which fuse?
    "When I'm at a complete stop and the light turns green I'll lift my foot from the brake pedal and before I can touch the accelerator pedal it seems the car will downshift into first. It feels like when you've downshifted too early with a manual transmission and the vehicle sort of lunges."

From what I understand, in order to save fuel (supposedly) the transmission sits in 2 when at a stop. If you hit the accelerator harder than the car expects then it downshifts first from 2 to 1 in order to give you more power. That hesitation might cause the driver to press on the accelerator harder since there is no acceleration. When the gears finally shift, you feel that extra power or lunging forward.

I do not know if that is what is happening but there are quite a large number of X3 complaints to the government regarding this issue with the GM6 AT.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

You have to select the year/make/model/components - power train to see the complaints. The way you can tell if this is a problem is to use the MT or SD modes. Supposedly the SD mode starts in 1.
    I was going to get the Lexus RX but I had a 5 series BMW before and I liked it very much. It wasn't particularly reliable but it drove great and was comfortable although not cushy like many American built cars. I just needed to get something more useful than a sedan and there were relatively few small SUVs available.

Now I have a car that drives poorly AND has lower reliability. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • jimmy1000ajimmy1000a Member Posts: 1
    hi i have an x5 4.4l 2002 i am having a miss firing problem i hook the skanner gaive me 3 messeges stored 1 oxigeen sensor on the left folty 2 sevral cylender miss firing
    3 cylender number 6 and 8 missfiring . action ihave change oxigene sensors to cleare the folt and i change the spark plugs .and the coil paks of 6 and 8 sparks
    and the fuel pump and filter and air flow meeterbut i am still having the problem
  • tmckinney1tmckinney1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 X5 3.0 just recently starting running rough, engine light cam on and it does not want to idle. has anyone ran into this type of thing? I did have a local parts house plug into it and they said gas cap,ignition system, and Egr valve, any ideas?
  • jamn69jamn69 Member Posts: 5
    vehicle is a 2003 X5 3.0i that has a problem that started with a blown rad hose-then lead to overheating problem. A block test shows exhaust gas & excessive pressures in the cooling system. Unit has warranty on head & block only - no head gasket. Warranty company wants proof of pressure test on the head. How to diagnose entire problem & to get proof of pressure test on the head? Anyone have experience on this or any no-no's on this ? Thank-you.
  • rex21rex21 Member Posts: 4
    BMW Engineers,

I test drove a X5 extensively and after three days, I decided not to purchase and will never look at any other BMWs. The reasons are the following.

The X3 and the X5 3.0 both have the same engine size and hp/torque but the X5 is about 1000lbs more. Where is the dynamic efficiency? So i don't quite understand what that means on BMW's commercials. The 3.0 engine is very smooth and all high RPM but is been given a wrong obese body. Also, what is wrong with the transmission when in normal "D", as soon as you completed a turn and straighten the steering wheel, step on the gas and there is zero response, it's almost like stalling.

Where is the oil dipstick? this is not funny and put it back.

I test drove a loaded $71,000 X5 4.8, I got out and noticed somthing wrong with the bumpers. they are not painted?? This is totally unacceptable for a car this expensive. After the missing oil dipstick, I am beginning to see total product integration to save cost on your end. BMW manipulated the black plastic bumpers to help the X5 to look rugged. So BMW does not need to have them painted. The cheapest car in the US, the Nissan Versa has both painted!!

How come there is no privacy glass if you go for the stripper model and yet the car has xenon, panoramic roof and so on........ ????

Same thing goes for auto dimming mirrors. they have been around for about 20 years. why are they not standard and yet...... the car has xenon , panoramic roof...etc..

I test drove a sun baked X5 that was parked on the roof of a dealership. After driving the car for about 15 minutes with the AC blowing on max, we noticed the plastic trims around the radio and air control started to make popping noises. This continued for about 40 minutes. The night I figured it was due to the sudden changes in temp. The following day, I demanded a different sun baked X5 from the roof and drove with the AC on. Yes, the same thing happened again. It's the quality of the plastic. It doesn't behaves well when the temp is changing too fast from one end to the other end. One loud pop came from the top of the dash. Pushing the center stack buttons also made the trim pieces pop. Sometimes the buttons themselves pop when you push them.

Until we see more quality improvement, we will never buy anything BMW makes. I am a business man in China. Due to this, I canceled the decision made by my CFO to purchase 15 7series and 25 5 Series. We had to do this to avoid unnecessary maintenance and issues down the road.
    YOU guys are not alone. I am with you too.
    I am glad you didnt purchase it. dont ever buy anything from BMW.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Dude, seriously, I'm pretty sure BMW is happy not to have you as a customer.
    Does the vehicle not have the option to have privacy glass? If that's what you want, order it.
    I'm sure everyone on this board actually believes that you have the pull to cancel 30 vehicles. Suurrreee you do!
    Go away.
  • choise47choise47 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 X5 3.0. When I pulled out the car this morning, I found a oil leak (100-200 cc) on the garage floor. What is the likely cause and its seriousness? Is this common defect on 2007 X5? Thanks.
    I have my 2001 X5 oil gasket changed at 80K miles. Not sure if this is "common defect" on X5.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I checked all the TSBs and didn't see anything except water leaks. :P
  • snwokesnwoke Member Posts: 1
    I have a bmw x5 2000 model. The audio system works intermitently and the battery runs down if not driven for about two days. does anybody have idea what the problem is and the solution?
  • mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Member Posts: 29
    I've been reading all your posts on the X5. I test drove one and liked it. I'm coming off an RX which speaks for itself as far as reliability. My dilemma is I dont know based on what you guys are talking about if its worth dropping over 50k (at least) on an X5 and be stuck with all these problems. I had another guy I work with sum it up nicely I think. He said "BMW's are a great car to lease. You dont pay a dime for the first 50k of service, you do pay for it in the price tag (the service), but once your over the 50k if you own the car, be warned." The BMW's are the perfect leasing car if you do low mileage. Is this accurate because I cant lease my cars being I'm in sales. I'd go over the mileage. I've narrowed it down to the X5 and the Land Rover LR4. I know, two different cars, not really apples to apples. I'd almost just buy another RX but its such a soccer mom car and its boring. Any help on which way to go here I'd appreciate. Thanks.
    I have 2001 X5, never had audio problem. The radio turns itsself off after a while when key is removed from ignition.

Battery drain IS a problem on my car. It is not able to going into sleep mode so drains high current. I found that most of the time, it happens if I park the car and then go back open the door/turning radio without restart the car, that happens.
  • jc07x5jc07x5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys...
    Anyone knows where can I get an aftermarket driver's side mirror for a BMW X5 '07, 4.8i. I am ready to glue my wife's mirror rather than paying $580!! at the dealership.
    Thanks.
  • ldervishldervish Member Posts: 2
    FWIW my son just bought an '03 X5 which the dealer said he had repaired for similar symptoms by replacing the battery. Also hazard lamp and srs (seatbelt) warning would not turn off, cured by the new battery. So they say.
  • 1jetjock1jetjock Member Posts: 1
    I get the message: "Check brake lights, check rear lights" message on my 2002 BMW X-5 every time I start it yet the lights all work. Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this?

Thanks!