Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Transmission Questions

texaschucktexaschuck Member Posts: 4
edited May 2017 in Ford
I use a quart every 1000 miles or so. Leak is from front of tranny. Shifting happens too easy and too often. Anything to try rather than a tranny rebuild?

Comments

• luvmytrukluvmytruk Member Posts: 1
    hi,i own a 1994 ranger 4x4 x-cab 4.0 auto,my 4x4 will not engage, does anybody know where the solenoid to engage 4x4 is
  • adrian5366adrian5366 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 93 ford ranger 4.0 2wd . White smoke appears on start up then goes away, and the trany fluid has been disappearing, I have to put in about 1 qt a month. Someone told me it may be a faulty vacum modulator valve, but Its in a tough spot to change. Could it be plugged instead or will that create more problems. What else can I do, I plan on getting rid of the truck soon so I dont want to spend a lot of money on repairs.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Vacumn modulator valve.

Why won't you replace it? You've already been told...

The transmission also shift roughly, right?
  • adrian5366adrian5366 Member Posts: 4
    I cant get to it . Thats why I wanted to see is I could plug it with no ill effects.
    The vacumn modulator valve is an intergral part of making the transmission shift, especially shift smoothly.

On my 4Liter Ranger, it was right above the cat converter, I think. It is tough to see, but these are usually held on with one bolt, so you should be able to get a socket on it. It really shouldn't be that difficult to remove.
  • scott70scott70 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ranger and there's a clunking noise coming from the rear of the truck when I'm in 4x4. We got the truck up in the air and the sound only occured when the truck was in gear and the wheels were moving and I also had my foot on the brake. It seems to be coming from the rear transfer case or some sort of harmonic balancer in the back. Anybody got any thoughts on what it could be? Drivetrain...
  • thatoneguythatoneguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 3.0 ranger and for some reason my o/d light starts flashing once i start driving. When it does come on the truck runs like crap....shifts hard especiall 1st and second.......my dad has the same problem.....hes got a 98 ford ranger and his light is flashing......what can be some things to check....please help
  • autom80autom80 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how to drain trans fluid? I see no drain plug.
    Remove the pan.

Have a BIG catch container. When the last bolts come loose, and the pan drops down, the fluid will start coming out all around the pan.

Very messy.
  • fordtechfordtech Member Posts: 34
    Do you have tilt steering? The flashing light is a problem in the trans control system, usually caused by a wire chafe in the column causing the OD OFF button to short out on the column.
  • thatoneguythatoneguy Member Posts: 2
  • critterzcritterz Member Posts: 7
    I have a 98 ranger that does the same thing once I get up around 50+mph....very hard shift. I took it in for a diag and I was told that i need the following:
    torque converter
    tcc solenoid
    trans wiring harness and filter $ pan gasket....all for a whopping $1023.42....
  • rrshannonrrshannon Member Posts: 2
    i have a 94 ranger the trans is slipping pretty bad. i was wondering if i could put a aod trans out of a 89 mustang in it. if anyone knows please let me know
  • buckhunterbuckhunter Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and this problem! My ranger is starting to slip between 2nd & 3rd gears, it has 61,000 easy miles on it. the local transmission shop said it's a common problem for ford's 4.0 (5r55e transmission) there is a service kit (ZM-203)and a new valvebody separator plate (7Z490) that needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get this kit and how hard is it to do myself, they wanted $1750.00 and the print-out they gave me showed 2.2 hours labor, I work maintence in a factory so I have very good mechanical skill's, Thank you in advance.
  • pitcherpitcher Member Posts: 1
    does anybody know how to get a 1994 ford ranger pu 4x4 out of 4wheel drive? I think it's the little drive motor on the transfer case as I tested the button to the computer. Is there a manual way to get it out of 4wheel?
  • rangerdude7rangerdude7 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of changing ato trans fluid (Mircon V) in 2002 Ranger What brand names are good to use? Any do's or dont's or should or should not. Wal Mart fluid OK?
    Thanks Rangerdude7
  • lorrie2lorrie2 Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY. MY MANUAL 5 SPEED.
    IS STUCK IN SECOND GEAR.
  • socket650socket650 Member Posts: 1
    truck belongs to my son, he was stopped and heard a pop sound come from under truck. The truck would not engage after that point. It is a push button 4x4 with auto trans. I have been told maybe the solenode went out. does anyone know how to bypass this or manually shift the transfer?
  • yourallthesameyourallthesame Member Posts: 4
    I have an automatic 02 Ford Ranger with about 72,000 miles on it. I noticed a couple weeks back that there was a clunking/knocking sound coming from underneath. Went to check and found the noise to be coming I guess from the transmission case. Took it to a mechanic I thought I could trust and he replaced the transmission converter (I'm not sure if that's the actual part.) He said there was a possibility that the solar shield gear was getting loose, and this was due to the fact that I have a 4inch lift and 33 inch tires. What do you guys think? Are my oversized tires messing up my tranny? Additional symptoms to the truck are on neutral, if the clunking sound is not there, you revv it up to about 3,000rpm and let go of the gas, as the acceleration goes down you then hear the noise. I also started noticing it when stopped at a stoplight, and is consistent once the truck has been running. All this developed AFTER I got it out of the shop. This was all today. Before last weekend the clunking/knocking noise was minimal and not consistent. He's charging me $521.95, by the way. I've only paid him $250 as of yet. What to do? Thanks guys!
    Paul
    Sorry, not a transmission converter... I meant Torque Converter
  • fordthisfordthis Member Posts: 1
    Front seal on tranny leaking want to try replacing my self any info would help money tight to take to a shop
    Just wondering how complicated it is to change my entire transmission myself? Thanks!
  • ahinsonahinson Member Posts: 17
    86 ranger,v6 2wd auto.1st and 2nd gear ok,no drive or o.d. or reverse,does this sound like a rebuild or a solenoid :sick:
  • kuberr4kuberr4 Member Posts: 6
  • kuberr4kuberr4 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1992 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 5 speed manual. The muffler is off, and at first, it ran fine, but since it has developed a whining, or humming noise. It happens when in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and overdrive, whether I am accelerating or going at a steady speed, but not when I let off the gas. It doesn't happen in 4th. Also, I sometimes can't shift into first from a dead stop.I am suspecting a bad clutch but am not sure. Anyone know what could be wrong?
  • sirmcannonsirmcannon Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with a mystique, it was an electrical problem, the computer puts the tranny in safe mode, thats why it wont go out of 2nd, hope this helps
  • kdeezlekdeezle Member Posts: 12
    I am changing the trans in my 91 ranger. It is a 4.0 automatic. to get to the bellhousing top bolts, i have to take out the pipe going into my exhaust manifold. Does anyone know hot to get this out without cutting it off. It is so rusted that i am having a hard time. Does anyone have any tips on getting the old trans out as easy as possible?
  • vasolinivasolini Member Posts: 3
    I've replaced all the parts for my clutch from the Master Cylinder, all the way to the pilot bearing. The only part I did not replace is the line from the MC with the male coupling, (it wasn't leaking so I didn't replace it). I can't for the life of me, get the darn thing to bleed out all the air. I have tried for three days to bleed this clutch, then gave up and took it to the shop, where the lead tech has spent three days with the same results, no clutch!! Is there anything I should or can do?
    I don't have much advice for you. But I have heard the hydrolic clutch on Rangers can be a real b***h to bleed.

Only thing you might try - a gravity bleed. Just open the lower bleeder, take off/loosen the top cap, and just see if fluid will drain down and move the air out.

Only other guess - call around to other garages to see if you can find one with experience doing a Ranger, one that will say they can successfully bleed one.
  • vasolinivasolini Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. They still have the truck and now they are going to pull the tranny to make sure I put everything back together properly. There wasn't much to it, but I told them to go ahead in case there is something I may have done incorrectly. I can't believe it has taken this long and still no good results.
    I tried the gravity bleed as per the Haynes manual, but it doesn't flow out, it trickles.
    If they can't get it soon, the Ford dealer is right across the street! I prolly shoulda taken it there to begin with. So much for trying to save a buck.
  • jack78jack78 Member Posts: 5
    Why would automatic trans fluid come out the filler tube?
    When you start the eng to check the trans level it's checks OK (cold). But you drive the truck for just a few minutes then check the level the fluid poors out. I checked the vent tube and blew air in it, it does not seem pluged.
    The truck has not been driven much.
    any thoughts?
  • pistol15pistol15 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the clutch in my 95 Ranger and had the exact same problem. I replaced the Master and the slave but still no help until I saw a note in the box the master cylinder came in. The note had me call a help desk and they would walk me through the bleeding process. They had be take the master along with the clutch line off the truck and bleed it by filling the resevoir with fluid and tilting the line while holding the check valve open so the air would come out of the valve. It has been a couple years so the exact steps are a bit fuzzy. I'm pretty confident this will fix your problem. If you still have the master cylinder box, look for the sheet that gives you a 1-800 number and they can help you for free. Good luck.
  • kdeezlekdeezle Member Posts: 12
    I am putting in a auto v6 trans in my ranger. I am a do it mydelfer. any tips on the easiest way to get it in? I am have trouble lining the torque converter up.
  • lk270lk270 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 94 Ranger 3.0 auto transmission and when you shift to reverse it really shifts hard ,it really jumps, when you put it in drive it shifts a little rough but nothing like it does in reverse anybody have any ideas ???
  • lucyfordlucyford Member Posts: 2
    i was stuck in traffic for a long time, rolling along in 1st gear. traffic thinned out. i tried to go faster, but when i stepped on the gas, i couldnt get out of first gear. brought it to the shop, who couldnt get it out of first either. they just called and said it was going to cost me about $700 to fix becasue i need a speed sensor in the rear end, it has a bad seal, and break fluid is leaking from the left rear wheel. does this warrant $700 worth of work?
  • rhinodecals77rhinodecals77 Member Posts: 9
    My Ranger is making noise. When I push the clutch in it makes a rattleing noise and when I am driving. b ut only in the afternoo. I go to work at 5:30 AM and this morning is did not make any noise. Yesterday afternoon it started making noise and this afternoon. Any body got any Ideas. :confuse:
  • stenyrocksstenyrocks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 ford ranger auto and need to replace the shifter.
    I need to know what trany is in this year truck to order a shifter.
    The pan has 18 bolts. :confuse:
  • randyschultzrandyschultz Member Posts: 1
    The third gear grinds when transmission is warmed up. How can I fix this problem?
  • birdyx99birdyx99 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Ford Ranger 5spd. Every now and then, when the truck gets real hot under the hood, the clutch begins to 'slip' and then gets stiff and will not release the clutch. I have to wait 20 or 30 minutes for the engine to 'cool down' and then it runs fine. I have been unable to figure out what causes this. It only happens about twice a year or so. Anyone know what this is or have the simalar problem?
    I don't know much about clutches, but the RAnger has a hydrolic clutch.

I think yours is sticking for some reason. I don't know if flushing the fluid and refilling with new might help...

Or, it might have to have a new slave cylinder put on it.
  • rangerjsrangerjs Member Posts: 1
    First i have a 5 speed manual trans. I wondering what the last sensor is before the driveshaft, I need to know what the name/job of it is so that i can solve my problem. thanks a lot.
  • superanger94superanger94 Member Posts: 1
    my 94 5speed 4cyl is hard getting into 1st gear. it shofts fine but when in neutral I have to go through the gears to get into 1st I dont want to break my shifter any help would be appreciated
  • alamorangeralamoranger Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a `99 Ranger 4x4 xlt. I like it a lot. It has the 3.0 L motor, manual 5 speed trans.

It seems to be slipping, but not at the clutch. Are there known problems with either the trans or the rear end? It's only slipping a little bit like at the axle spline or maybe the tail shaft of the trans, not sure.

Thanks for you input.

AlamoRanger
  • alamorangeralamoranger Member Posts: 2
  • efreckefreck Member Posts: 2
    i have the same truck, several years ago there was a factory recall on the driveshaft,when i got the recall letter mine was doing the exact same thing, im pretty sure you can get that fixed for nothing....cg's!
  • jgkc9aycjgkc9ayc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT w/automatic transmission (3spd + OD). Yesterday all of a sudden it didn't want to go into D/OD, so I put it in 2, then D/OD & it did fine. There seems to be a long delay when shifting from P to D/OD or N to D/OD, but not from 2 to D/OD. It also doesn't matter if I have the OD turned on or off.
    I'm hoping that it's a simple fix...that since I actually have a D/OD that it'll be nothing internal, but i'm no mechanic.
    Thanks for reading.
  • jclark07jclark07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 ranger xlt 4.0L auto. when i put it into drive it slams into the first couple gears. any ideas?
  • marty20marty20 Member Posts: 2
    I want to change the transmission oil in my '97 Ranger.
    Do I have to drop the pan in order to do so? If yes, is
    there a gasket to replace? Is there a filter in the
    transmission?
    I'm not a tranny expert, but one simple thing that will cause slam shifts is a bad vacumn modular valve on the tranny. Or, a big leak in the hose that goes to it.

This will be a small 'can' that plugs into the side of the tranny. It will have a hose, probably a combination of rubber and steel line' that runs from it to a vacumn source on the intake.