Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I love/hate my Cobalt

1235»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    happycamper6,
    Thank you for your feedback on your vehicle. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me! Happy Halloween! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I'll second that. I bought my 2009 LT in September of 2008 and aside from the steering column recall have had no serious problems in 32,000 miles. The plastic wheels rattle and there is a rattle in the left door. The dealer has tried to fix it twice and now it is out of warranty. I'll pull the door panel when I get time and jam some foam rubber in there. Mileage in town is around 26 and I've gotten as much as 41.9 on the road. I rented a Cruze in New Jersey and much prefer my coupe. The Cruze 6 speed downshifts all the time, the motor is noisy and underpowered and the huge console is too complicated. Mileage was poor. I averaged around 21 in suburban driving.

It is impossible to work the radio without taking your eyes off the road. I much prefer the Cobalt AC and radio. I'm happy with my Victory Red coupe and will probably keep it for years. I don't do heavy commuting any longer so it should hold up. I use a new Malibu for my road trips.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    Wait until the warranty runs out. This car wasn't built to last.
    I have 60,000 miles on my Cobalt and it feels like it's falling apart
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Dispencer2,

Thank you for your feedback on your Cobalt! I’m very glad to hear that you’re enjoying your vehicle. If we can ever be of assistance, please email us!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2012
    Been reading various posts all over the internet about the Cobalt. Seems to be a love/hate relationship for sure. I still have mine and love it, I don't love all the problems it has had in the time I have had it, however. My Cobalt is a 2007 LT 2-dr bought brand new. It now has 93000 miles on it but the problems have been there since the beginning.

*Sunroof repaired twice for leaking air and rattling noise (2007)
    *Control arm bushings replaced at less than 25000 miles (2008)
    *Steering column replaced (2008)
    *Driver's side seat cushion disintegrating under the fabric (2008)
    *Required recall replacement of electronic power steering (2010)
    *All speakers replaced as they had all began to fail one at a time (2011)
    *Front wheel hub/bearing replacement, both sides (2012)

And now even though the control arm bushings were already replaced, the car is again making the same clunking noises as the first time. Hard to believe that this problem can happen repeatedly and no recall has been issued to remedy it. I truly do love this car and I am trying to keep up with fixing the issues as they arise, but when so many owners have the same issues happening and these issues are ongoing and happening repeatedly, GM should do something to fix it!! At this point I cannot say with any certainty that I will ever buy another GM product. Do they no longer take pride in their product? :lemon:
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    That's the problem, they don't.
    My car is a 2006 with 61,000 miles and it feels like it's over 10 years old. The front end is and has always been a problem. GM should recall and/or extend the warranty on all steering components and front end suspension components.
    How many Cobalt owners have told GM to take a hike when they buy their next car?
  • lidavislidavis Member Posts: 3
    I'm honestly not one to complain, I think I've had a decent run with my vehicle until recently.

Currently I'm at 80K and the check engine light came on, the local place I took it says it's transmission issues. I've been sitting here for an hour or more reading some of the horror stories and complaints on this site for the last few years, and I can't help but wonder why someone hasn't made a lawsuit. Either way, here are the things I've had happen in my 7 years of ownership:

1. Sunroof motor has blown twice, I don't even open it now.
    2. Driver-side window Motor - blown once.
    3. Readjusted the steering column once while driving, to shift it a bit high while I was sitting a red light and the car just totally turned off. that's only happened once though. Luck has it I didn't get hit by anything.
    4. Power Steering went completely out while driving, was even told by a dealership that it would cost $1500 to fix, only for me to press the issue, when I found out there was a recall on this issue. They did it for free when they realized this.
    5. Since getting the whole steering column replaced the "drive shifter cable" broke and the shifter can now be simply pushed from one gear to another. Because of this the car doesn't even realize when it's in park, and the key won't come out of the ignition. I had to remove a small panel under the steering column and use the emergency release button from there. And oh yes! before it got to be this bad, that little button used to click wildly from time to time.

I think, there's a LOT of people out there with some or more of these issues. Really got to wonder why someone hasn't stood up about it, b/c I'm honestly going to be looking up lemon laws here soon.
  • horsey55horsey55 Member Posts: 15
    My 2008 LS Coupe has been completely dependable so far. Actually one of the best cars I have owned . Good MPG,and a car for these times.
    Compared to that Horizon TC3 I purchased new in '82 for similar purposes, this car is quite solid.