Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon AC and Heat Questions

Comments

• 72corvette72corvette Member Posts: 2
    Surprise! My heater doesn't work. Had blend door accuators replaced last year and worked great ($600 p & l). Has been working, then all of a sudden just blowing lukewarm air. Accuators were new (bought them myself and installed by trusted mechanic). Anyway, I've tried pulling the A/C and HVAC fuses thing and running through the defrost, foot, etc... all that stuff and still lukewarm air. I haven't disconnected battery yet. Are there different steps for diff year models for the hard reset or recalibration or whatever they call it. I've read so many different things they are all starting to run together. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • gjdmomgjdmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Yukon 2-wd and the heaters on the driver side isn't working. It only blows out freezing cold air yet the other vents work properly for heat.Can someone help me because it's freeeeezing right now. Thanks for your time in reading this post. :confuse:
  • mainer77mainer77 Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem on my 2004 Yukon. I had to have the left temperature actuator for that vent replaced for about $600 and it fixed my problem
  • halo51halo51 Member Posts: 6
    I lost heat into the cabin on this car. I took the car to team Ford on Drexel Rd in Las Vegas NV. They performed an electrical diagnosis for 119.00. The service rep said that the actuator motor failed. He">e said he sees 1 to 2 of these problems about every 2 weeks. He said replacing the electric motor is expensive, 920.00 including in that amount the diagnostic charge above. I went on line and found a salvage parts site. I got a call from Quality Auto Parts that located an actuator motor for 421.00 no labor no guarantee. The motor is inside the dash assembly mounted on the AC duct on top. Derrick said they get lots of calls on this but they are scarce. Derrick said these actuators fail a lot and are used on Fords and Lincolns. He said these motors aren't stocked at dealers and are made on demand. That's why there so expensive.

My questions:

Does price sound too high, Am I being taken?
    (I'm definitely going to shop around)

Is this a labor intensive repair? I see someone here got one replaced for 600.00.
  • harley2die4harley2die4 Member Posts: 18
    $920 > > > find out the part name, model number and search on-line for better price. I would not buy used. unless the part has some sort of warranty. Heck you could be buying a failed actuator since it appears to be a common issue.
    Once you have the proper model number etc, it will be easy to locate a dealership that sells GM parts 10% over cost. I've purchased several GM parts out of a dealership on-line in Texas. If I can find info on them, I'll send it your way.
    Good luck :lemon:
  • frustrayedfrustrayed Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2008
    intermittently my drivers zone will change the temperature to full heat even if ac is on. So far i can get it to reset if i pull over and turn it off then restart. would like to know what the problem is and how i can fix it. am out of work so moneys tight. any help would be appreciated
    refer to my post # 180 step by step instructions-
    same issues with my 2004, caused by a dead battery.
    did you have a dead battery lately?
    computer memory for air system needs to be reprogrammed.
    Other people have posted successful steps that were as simple as disconnecting the battery negative for 30 minutes.....
    good luck
  • mrbrown366mrbrown366 Member Posts: 1
    HEllo, I have a simliar problem but recently i noticed my heat meter doesnt go up to 210 it goes above 160 but not past the next main mark( 185?) . a minimal amount of heat is coming out but not hot like it used to be. I also notice that in the summer the rear heat/ac would only blow hot air but now in the winter it blows cool air. I need to get the heat working because it is starting to freeze here in NY. Please help me figure out how to get my truck heat working again.
    Make sure HEAT /AC OFF postions, start vehicle.
    Turn vehicle OFF.
    Disconnect ( - ) negative battery cable.
    Remove HVAC / AC fuses ( you might have fuses under dash and hood ? )
    Let vehicle sit 30 minutes.
    Connect ( - ) negative battery cable, start vehicle for few minutes.
    Turn OFF.
    Install HVAC / AC fuses.
    Start vehicle.
    ------
    your sounds like main computer systems needs to be re-set...
    these steps will do that.
    but of course always consult your dealer, they might advise alternative steps.
    Good luck.
    Merry Christmas..
    --
    GO OREGON DUCKS :)
  • 72corvette72corvette Member Posts: 2
    Hey MrBrown366 took mine to a trusted mechanic. He took temp readings on thermostat and heater hoses coming out of firewall ( all were less than 100 degrees). Changed tstat and had heater core flushed, works like a charm. $160.00. Hopefully this heps
  • jburrelljburrell Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone changed an aspirator in a 2002 Yukon XL? If so how was it done? Where would
    I look for the part?
    gmpartsdirect. com
  • flint_wheelsflint_wheels Member Posts: 1
    Hi just wanted to post that I have a 2009 Yukon with this problem. I live in South Florida and setting the temp to 78 degrees in any configuration 80% of the time causes warm/hot air to blow out the driver side vents.

I can get cold air to blow out of the driver side if I switch to dual mode and adjust the drivers side temp below 65 degrees. Which results in too cold air.

Paid 45K for my truck and not happy that I cannot just set the temp and hit auto like I can on my 2002 Buick Regal.

Have been to the dealer three times, they say they cannot recreate it and say drivers side regulating the temperature is normal. I am going to try the remedy you posted and I'll post my results. Sounds like a painful process though.

Please anyone with this problem of hot air blowing on the drivers side while cold air comes out passenger side please post in this forum.
  • 213jg213jg Member Posts: 2
    Low coolant will cause this problem. Make sure you have enough!
  • daysarooniedaysaroonie Member Posts: 2
    Anybody tell me how to install or a site to go to. I have no blowing heat. I have rear blower working however not front. I just vehicle off and get a screeching sound-i deducted it was the front blower motor so I just stopped and picked up one. Now how to install? Do I take dash off or can I access it from under?
  • daysarooniedaysaroonie Member Posts: 2
    Ok, looks like I got and aftermarket blower. I tried to install and hooked it up, it is a fairly easy thing to do. It didn't work! I turned the fan to high and nothing! Is there some other thing that I could look for? Its only like -2 today!
  • steve4810steve4810 Member Posts: 2
    Dude,

Start by telling us what make, model and year your car is. Then we might have a clue what your dealing with.

Steve
  • golfer29golfer29 Member Posts: 3
    the front ac works fine but the rear does not. the rear unit fan, dampers, and hot water coil works like they are supposed to. when i turn the control knob to cold i get no cold air. the air is blowing out of the ceiling vents but not cold. when i turn the control knob to hot the air comes out of the floor outlet and is warm/hot. if the front air is on and the cabin is cool the fan slows down as it is supposed to. can u help
  • golfer29golfer29 Member Posts: 3
    sorry, 2003 chevy tahoe with automatic climate control front and rear.
  • yukaladeyukalade Member Posts: 1
    I have been addressing similar problem with the "blend and placement of the airflow in my truck. I have the xl with rear air and I don't know if you have the Aux unit in th erear but the front is similar. The blowers create the air flow over the heating core or over the evap coils for heat or a/c. A door regulates the amount and is controlled by an "actuator" and they fail. One is for temp termed "mode" and another is for placement termed "blend". Most likely if you have an issue with one of these. The other possibility if temperature regulation is an issue is the sensor in the duct itself which can be detected by a scan tool. Not a difficult fix when it is determined which it is. You problem sounds more like a temp regulation issue. Good luck.... Try Just Answer and request "BlueGorilla" for illustrations and specific fixes. If you prefer to go th edealer route at least they won't j--k you around n ow that you have a sense of the issue.
  • bewagnerbewagner Member Posts: 1
    The AC in my 2007 Yukon is freezing after about 20 minutes of use. We have changed a couple of switches that did not fix the problem. Mechanic says that the coolant is fine because it is blowing cold air. Does anyone out there have any ideas? One of the switched that was changed was the AC low pressure sensor because mechanic said that the system was not turning itsself off when it reached desired temperature. Next step is to take the unit down and check the oriface tubing screen filter.
  • dolfanpetedolfanpete Member Posts: 2
    The air works great in the back. But in front the a/c only works when I start driving. Is my blower broken? I hope this is not an expensive fix. When I drive for a while it blows ice cold but at whatever speed it wants to. Ay ideas what the causeof this is? Thanks in advance
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dolfanpete,

Were you planning on taking your vehicle in to be looked at? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dolfanpetedolfanpete Member Posts: 2
    Eventually I will. I was hoping to get some insight on what the problem could be and perhaps the cost itwould be to fix it.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dolfanpete,

I understand. Please keep me posted when everything has been taken care of. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try Edmunds Answers - there are some techs who hang out over there and they may have an idea of what's wrong with your rear AC and how to fix it without having to pay the dealer diagnosis fee.
  • rob262rob262 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Trying to locate a leak in my AC system. I have tried dyes, UV, ears and eyes to no avail. All started with AC blowing warm on a trip back home from south FL. Figured the system needed a little extra charge...when I unscrewed the plastic cap from the low port to take pressure reading, and assuming to add 134a, the cap blew off along with almost all the 134a. Bad valve stem on the low port. Replaced the stem and thought this was the problem...pulled a vacumn and filled the system and AC worked well for a couple days then system lost all its charge. Since this time...I have vac'd again and refilled with the same result...Compressor is working. I cannot find the leak even after trying UV and dye, and no oily residue can be found anywhere. I pulled another vac and I noticed the low side pressure gauge was loosing all vac..from below zero to zero in a matter of minutes while the high side stayed below 0. My thought is I have a leak in the evaporator in the dash...have not looked there yet...hate working under the dash..is there an easy way to check or any other suggestions? Thanks...Rob
  • ecoll80090ecoll80090 Member Posts: 1
    I have searched for a few days and finally your post is what saved me hundreds. I called the GMC dealership which quoted me 700.00 to repair the so called reset door, etc. However, thanks again to the worldwide wide and your post, the dealership will not be enjoying my hard earn money for a fix I was able to do in less than an hour. :)
  • pkuchpkuch Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2003 Yukon with manual dual A/C and rear A/C. The problem is with the front A/C fan. The lowest speed on the fan stopped working 6 months ago with the top four speeds (#2 to #5) still working. Last weekend, the #2 to #4 speed on the fan stopped working. The highest speed still works. The front A/C also cools on lower fan setting when driving fast with internal recirculation button not activated. No fan when stopped or driving slow. No problem with rear A/C.

Saw from posts that problem could be blower resistor or the climate control system needs to reset(from SNEREM post). My question on the reset. SNEREM states to pull the A/C and HVAC fuses.
    How many fuses need to be pulled and where?
    The drivers side fuse box has one heater A/C fuse and one HVAC fuse.
    The engine fuse box has two fuses for the A/C compressors - do these need to be pulled?

The best part is that I got the extended warranty to 7 years/70K miles. The truck now has 70,500 miles and is 6 months out of warranty.

Thanks
  • coreamscoreams Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 yukon, the a/c and heat work great, the problem is when I turn off the power the rear blower still runs at a low speed, running down the battery overnight. Do I need to replace the blower motor resistor.
  • testdepthtestdepth Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    I had previous battery problems a month ago that were resolved with cleaning and replacing the + lug. Now my wife said the driver side blew hot and pass blew cold and the radio reset itself. I bought and installed a new battery. I first installed a computer memory saver. The last time I swapped the battery out the Memory Seat Module lost its software and it cost $80 for the dealer to reload it.

Now the only thing not working is the A/C and Heat control unit in the dash. The buttons and dials are back lit but no functions and no display. Nothing comes on when you press any of the buttons. I checked all fuses under hood and on driver side and nothing is blown.

Any help?

The electrical engineer that designed this system should be a crash test dummy!
  • pkuchpkuch Member Posts: 2
    Took the car to the dealer. Problem was the blower resistor. Dealer fixed for $200.
  • cmhubercmhuber Member Posts: 1
    behind the dash on the passengers side there is a blower motor resistor that controls the fan speed it could possibly be burned out
  • dayubdayub Member Posts: 1
    Hi coreams. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I just bought an 03 Tahoe and the previous owner had the fuse pulled out for this reason. I thought it was just broke. I replaces the fuse and the rear blower would NEVER shut off. I couldn't adjust fanspeed either.
  • copcntrlrcopcntrlr Member Posts: 2
    Hey Testdepth. I also am having the exact same problem. Drivers side blowing heat, passenger side blowing cold. I tried two 'recalibration' remedies, including disconnecting the battery for a half hour. Now I am just getting backlit buttons for the front control unit. Back works and blows fine.
    Did you happen to get a fix?
  • copcntrlrcopcntrlr Member Posts: 2
    I hope you have fixed this problem by now. I got frustrated after I wrote the last post to you, went out and disconnected the negative to the battery. Let it sit for about an hour, reconnected it, and now everything is working fine.

Good luck, let me know if it helps. :confuse:
    Thanks for the info fix as i still have the problem and am very willing to try this as drivers side heat likes to go on intermittently during 110 degree weather. Frustraighted
  • tsittontsitton Member Posts: 1
    2004 Gmc Yukon Denali XL Blowing out Cold Air just not out of Front upper vents and when it Rains the Passenger side carpet is wet...2 Problems 1 Denali
  • mark278mark278 Member Posts: 4
    if you will look under the hood on the passenger side where there is a silver can that the ac tubes run into i think its called a dryer if you will unplug the wire and clean it with electric comp cleaner from the parts store and let it dry good and plug it back up and then wrap it with metal tape like they use for air ducts in a house to keep moister out of it, the ac leaks water down on that plug and causes alot of problems. i hope this works it did for me.
  • coach17coach17 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2002 GMC yukon XL. Yesterday a/c blows cold. Today a/c is blowing cool/warm air in the front and back of truck. Any suggestions??
  • munozcharlenmmunozcharlenm Member Posts: 1
    Could be due to a plugged cabin filter. You need good air flow to keep this from freezing. The guy that told you that the unit had a low pressure switch was partially correct. The switch on a car is to detect low pressure as in the coolant is lowering in pressure due in part to low air flow or low coolant. Slightly low refrigerant will usually cause more cycling of your compressor. This is to prevent ice build up. Because in a car you can adjust the speed of your fan whereas in your home your ac runs at one speed usually there is no need for a shutoff switch. I have heard that condensate off of your line dryer "where this switch is located gets in the switch and causes problems". The clogged line is improbable as this would cause low flow in the refrigerant and low cooling not greater. The problem seems to be related more to the pressure switch and air flow than anything else.
  • dduck56dduck56 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same AC on left side Heat on right side problem.
    I see someone tried TWO recalibration remedies!
    Can anyone tell me what they are?
    i have tried plenty, but try starting car with hvac in off mode wait 1 minute then turn on again.
  • davidlquinndavidlquinn Member Posts: 1
    on the module next to the rear fan motor, when a ground is supplied to the center small purple wire, the fan works. this wire is not receiving a ground from the front controls regardless if it's set on aux or auto. please advise next troubleshooting step.
    thanks
  • hburneyhburney Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 yukon air conditioner blows cold air on driver side and hot air on passengers side.was on vaction in new york they said they could not fix it at that time.they disconnected the heather hose and the ac blows cold air on both side would it be expensive to repair to get the sytem working the right way.
  • puzzled17puzzled17 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Not sure if anyone is familiar with the hooking up the stereo in a 2002 yukon. I wasnt but i figured since it was a simple harnest and not the more expensive one that is used in later models. I figured I would give it a try well I got the aftermarket deck hooked up but could not get any sounds from the speakers only my sub and amp were working but no vocals. So I contacted the harnest 800 num and they made me aware of a pink wire that was supposed to be ran to the power wire which i did still no vocals. So I figured forget it i would put the factory back in and run a high/ low adapter to the speakers so i bought it but was not sure whick speakers to hook it up to it just says right and left but the wires arent labeled from my truck so as im guessing i get a little spark andy my dash lights go out like no fuel light no PRND321 only turn signals on the dash. so i give up man is there anyone that thinks they can help me out im in over my head with this one its a BOSE system BTW Thanks
  • dwilli337dwilli337 Member Posts: 1
    When i turn up the heat on my Yukon XL it stays at full unless i turn the car off then turn it down to cold again and start the car. The AC works fine unless hte temperature dial gets turned to hot then it wont come back. Any ideas?
  • kaiwooglin1229kaiwooglin1229 Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem of the ac switching to heat. With winter coming up I dont care if the ac was not working correctly but I tried to recalibrate the system by pullling the fuses in dash and under hood and disconnecting the control panel. Now the problem is air wether hot or cold only comes out of the defrost/windshield vents, no matter what setting I use. Is this now a problem of the blend door actuator?
  • claysealeclayseale Member Posts: 1
    My 07 Tahoe will not run heat or air to any vents other than the top vents. The selector switch seems to work fine, as the light is on, and if you press the rear defrost button, it works. I just need the FRONT defrost to work....

Any thoughts?
  • cinwitherscinwithers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Yukon that the battery went dead yesterday. After replacing battery the dual climate control will not come on. Was working fine after jumping car off. Anybody know what may be wrong?