Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• brknrodeobrknrodeo Member Posts: 3
    I wanna install an american V-6 or V-8 engine in my 99 rodeo. Anyone know where to find reliable info on what and how?
  • iggygillyiggygilly Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Rodeo cruise control cuts off when I turn on the lights. This has just recently begun. I have checked the fuses. Anyone have an idea what else I can check?
  • sdannersdanner Member Posts: 4
    check engine light just came on went to check oil cant find where to look no manual!
  • stefan4stefan4 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 isuzu rodeo and i am having problems with the a/c and heater. the problem is that the fan/blower will not come on most of the time. and when it does come on it is only for a short time. it has been in the shop three times with three temporary fixes. i know on one time it was something he did with the fuse and it worked off and on for about 6 months or so. another time he did something under the engine and it work off and on for about 6months. is there something that controls what makes the fan work that we may be missing. is there a solution other than replacing the entire heater/ac system
  • aero522aero522 Member Posts: 1
    ok so heres the deal....my a/c clutch went bad and seized up causing car not to start. I replaced the clutch and put the belt back on. I went to start it and it started fine but after 10 or so sec. the belt fell off and the fan assembly went straight into my radiator. I dont wanna replace another radiator so someone please help me. I put the assembly back on the "rod like thing" coming off the block.
  • allen515allen515 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem with my 2003 Rodeo. Anyone have an answer? Maybe replacing a sensor? HELP
  • rodeogremlinsrodeogremlins Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    It might be the gas...it's picky sometimes. I put treatment in and am careful of where I go. Otherwise Check plugs/fuel filter.... go through the obvious if you can yourself.
    It can get expensive otherwise.
    If vehicle will "dupe"problem for mechanic, a diagnostic may help, they don't always cooperate though.
    (Mine vibrated Ssooo much it put it into 4wd and we had a heck of a time figuring it out. My significant other was driving down the road and I had to give a guesstimate walk-through over the phone). Nothing bad happened.
    My mechanic mentioned bad wheel bearing, but that is the tire that takes 50 psi(4 tires are less and spare is in the rotation).

FYI to other Rodeo owners. I have a 99' Rodeo LS automatic 4wd and have had the "gremlins' been there done that. 3 1/2 years of ownership.
    1. speaker bad replaced (got another bad one.)
    2. Drivers Taillight replaced bad bulb myself a week later went out and dealer replaced wiring too.
    3.Replaced head light drivers 2x myself
    4. Shifter lighting went out took to dealer.
    5. clock light is out diy to do myself...REALLY remove the whole thing as opposed to just replacing the bulb? I don't know why the mfgr didn't just have the clock/radio like normal ones. Too much creativity going on.
    6. gear selector lights on dash drive and OD both stay on or flicker even when in park with ignition off. Anyone else have this problem?...(can run battery down).
    Mechanic quote of 350.00 steep I may look into this myself first...it might be something really easy.
    7. Put in park and had it running and one heck of a noise came from underneath, went to get significant other to look and the noise had stopped.
    Replaced hose (got cracks)for intake emissions 2x and then there was a hole in the intake manifold gasket. Replaced the top part.
    8. Winter the idle gets higher and higher no matter if it's cold are warmed up at a stop sign, won't do it for the mechanic and can't find anything.
    9. Alternator had to be replace... that was pushing my patience though, never had to replace one on such a new vehicle. (didn't have anything to do with the flicker on the gear selector on the dash). Though that may have harmed it.
    10. recall for a unit on the brake system for which had to be replaced because of defects.
    Get great mileage and take it on trips fine. Goes through alot of snow. Does light pulling of the toys.
    We'll keep it even if we have to putz with it to fix the "little annoyances". Glad we had a warranty on the major fixes or we'd have gotten rid of it.
    p.s. one of the other rodeos' we looked at seemed to have the alarm system problem...going off at odd times.
    Looked at some of the messages and looked like folks had a smattering of the problems we've encountered... Would be nice to push for a recall.
    We think we've written most of the things we've encountered.
    Also, if you can't get instructions to add another electronic "key fob" I'll be more than happy to look them up and give them to you for free. It's ridiculous to charge for something like this. I'd rather Rodeo owners' to speak up and help get the big items fixed and help each other on the little ones. :confuse:
  • allen515allen515 Member Posts: 2
    @(*(*^^%$. Someone, please help.
  • rob95rob95 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Allen,

Just wondering if you ever resolved the cruise control problem, because I've been trying myself, and have had no luck. In my research though I have found that everyone having this problem also has noticed that all their lights work fine, but when they turn on their headlights, the taillights work, but when you apply the brakes all the rear lights go out completely, except the brake light on the upper window, or third brake light. I checked mine, and I also have the same problem. I was wondering why so many people were staring at me at night, and then looking at the back of my car. I can only imagine how long I've been driving with no brake lights.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you, and everyone else experiencing this problem know, and also see if you had any info on the problem.

Anybody?

I've seen a lot of post about this on alot of different forums, and I must assume that at some point people are getting their cars fixed, but nobody seems to be giving up their solutions.

These forums are becoming more like complaint sites more than anything, lots of questions, but few answers.

I promise if I figure this out I will be back with an answer.

Thanks

Rob.
  • croookedfacecroookedface Member Posts: 1
    How did you change the clock bulb? I can't get mine out of the dash.
  • bugsy1bugsy1 Member Posts: 16
    can any one tell me if its a big job to replace your front wheel bearings in a 2000 isuzu rodeo ls, im planning on doing it my self , any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • dizbickidizbicki Member Posts: 1
    When Rodeo is cold putting in reverse it surges backwards. If you stop and then start to go feels like it wants to surge forward. When driving at 25 mph Rodeo keeps hesitating, after it warms up drives okay. Had this problem last winter/spring and mechanic said they couldn't find a problem. When the weather got hot problem went away, now that it's getting cold again, problem has started back up. Has anyone had this problem?
  • lilwoedililwoedi Member Posts: 1
    I am needing to replace the signal/park light bulb. The last time I had it replaced was by the dealership. Can anyone recommend what bulb I am going to need to buy from the auto parts store?
  • skidmanintxskidmanintx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 isuzu rodeo bought new . first the turn signals would short out and the dash lights would act crazy fixed that.then a recall on the fuel sending unit dealer fixed it. 5 months later it went out again. This time I had to fix it dealer would not warranty the work cost me 150 bucks. then a recall on timing belt. dealer fixed this, about 3 months later im changing the oil and I notice sprocket shims sticking out from behind timing belt cover. dealer denied that was their falt. So I took it apart and removed the extra parts myself. then a recall on the serpentine belt tensioner. dealer inspected said it was fine. 6 months later tensioner failed and broke. This caused all the intake valves to get bent and locked up the motor. dealer would not warranty work. tenisioner cost 280 dollars and I had to take bottom half of motor apart to replace tenisioner. A head cost me 700 dollars. and the truck is still not right. the dealer said I was 3 months and 700 miles out of warranty coverage from the recall. and will not even discuss it with me. Isuzu is a trouble filled truck with a bad track record and dealerships who won't back their experimental badly designed products. get away from them before they get even deeper into your pocket and have no answers for all the existing and future problems. Im parting the truck out because I would feel guilty selling someone such A PIECE OF JUNK. Thanks for listening, I hope this will help someone else not make the same mistake... :sick: :lemon:
  • brianrichardsmbrianrichardsm Member Posts: 1
    girlfriend has a 2wd 3.2 with 30k mi. original serpantine belt is developing minor cracks. she was quoted $70 to have it replaced. her uncle ( a previous Isuzu exec.) said that there were too many adjustments for me to replace it and save $40. I replaced the tensioner and belt on my old CAT C12. looked at the Isuzu and looks like a 5min. job. whatdya think? thanks, Brian.
  • drivertodddrivertodd Member Posts: 4
    Hey, did you ever find the problem in the 4X4 locking problem? I have a 2000 that just started having the problem today.
    My 2000 Rodeos' front wheels will not engage. The front drive shaft does turn but the wheels do not. Are there internal hubs or a solenoid that should lock the wheels in?

Please advise potential fixes
  • tdicksontdickson Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks,
    I have a 1999 Isuzu wizzard with a 3.0L turbo diesel engine, the vehicle will crank but will not start. Sometimes it will start but will not run, this only happens in the morning. Once the vehicle is started it will run all day.I replaced the gow plugs checked all the fuses they are ok. what could my problem be

Tyrone
  • chawkchadchawkchad Member Posts: 1
    If you will, please send me any info that you receive about this problem. My Rodeo started experiencing the same problem about a week ago. It may have started earlier but, it was the first time I needed to engage the 4 wheel drive.

I will push the button to engage the 4 wheel drive, the 4 wheel drive light on the dash flashes but, never fully engages into 4wheel drive. Is this the same problem your receiving?

Thanks,

Chad
    The right front shaft lost a retainer clip that keeps the splined plate in contact with the splines on the driveshaft and the shaft moved inward towards the differential. The repair in this case was simple. The splines were filed clean so the plate would slide easily and the retainer clip was replaced which held the driveshaft inposition to transmit torque. When the shaft moved inward it was not in the splines and just spun freely. The 4x4 system gave all the front wheel torque to the spinning wheel and we went no where.

Hope this helps
  • steelponiessteelponies Member Posts: 1
    Hi, saw your message, had the same issue with my 2002 rodeo with 12k miles. Serp belt with all cracks in it. I did mine myself all I used was a very large screw driver as a prybar on the belt tensioner so I can take the tension off and then slip the belt off. 10 minute job, DIY
    I made a drawing of the belt and pully setup so I new how it went back on. I would suggest doing that makes it even an easier job. Good luck.
  • rhanleyrhanley Member Posts: 1
    does the #one piston on top before timing a 1999isuzu rodeo 3.2L 6 cylinder
  • antonio5260antonio5260 Member Posts: 1
    99 isuzu rodeo 2wd. My question has two parts to it. One is that my fan (radiator or fan that blows a/c i don't which one really) keeps blowing after my engine has been shut off. It will blow for about 15 seconds or so. However, it usually stays on when i have my air condition (or just air) blowing. So usually to fix the problem, before i turn off the ignition, i shut off the air and it doesn't do it. But in the morning, regardless if i turn the air off, it still does it.
    The second thing is also in the morning when i first turn on the rodeo, the RPMS stay high while changing the gears (it's a standard), this happens for about a good 5-10 minutes i guess while the engine warms up, then i can change gears and they stay where they're supposed to be.
    I just wanted to know if anyone can help me out or give me ideas as to what the problem might be before i take it into a mechanic. Thanks a lot.
  • tmitmi Member Posts: 1
    I have 95 Passport LX w/auto trans. I have intermittent problem starting the car - turn key and single click. battery is fine. when this does not happen, starter is fine - no sluggishness. When it doesn't start, found that jiggling the shifter - or resetting battery terminal connector will sometimes get car to turnover. Anyone have suggestions on this intermittent problem? mechanics have said to replace the starter - but this was done a few years ago (should last longer than that...) and when it starts okay there is no sluggishness.... ??? any ideas?
  • casunlovercasunlover Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Rodeo is having the same problem. I was just about to attempt replacing the starter when I saw your post. If replacing the starter doesn't fix the problem, does anyone have an idea what will?????
    Lisa
  • okmech1okmech1 Member Posts: 19
    Brian,

Have a 14 mm socket on a 1/2 drive ratchet ready. I drew a diagram of the way the belt routes and it's saved the each time I've had it off to either replace or do other maint. You will need to pry the tensioner downward (the idler pulley side) and then you can remove the old one and replace it. It's got a good bit of tension, that's why I've found a 1/2 drive ratchet makes it a bit easier.

Mark
  • sdannersdanner Member Posts: 4
    have been told will need a motor for rodeo ls. where can i find one? have knocking noise loudly in left side of motor now.
  • transducertransducer Member Posts: 7
    Can you remove the valve covers on a Rodeo with the 3.2 with the intake still on?
  • 02bigblue02bigblue Member Posts: 1
    Did you happen to get an answer from anyone? I am having the exact same issue on my 2002 rodeo but I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks
  • usmc4424usmc4424 Member Posts: 1
    How many miles do you have on it. I have a 2000 S model and had a new engine put in for free under warranty. Here I am now getting a new trasmission now at 115K. Don't understand it but all covered by warranty. New truck so to speak.. Check out the 10y 120K warranty.
  • phalloranphalloran Member Posts: 2
    :sick: Hey there all, just a newby at this sort of thing, BE GENTLE!. I have a small tray back Holden rodeo(Isuzu) that was going fantastically, now it only seems to want to rev out to abot 3100RPM, have replaced all filters, cleaned water traps, air filters and Fuel tank and blown out fuel lines. When travelling at 3100RPM it wants to surge, like it has a fuel blockage but not entirely sure. Can not find any other filters or mesh except the one on the diesel return valve at the back of the ZEXEL deisel pump. Am not sure as to where to go from here as most of the other options seem very expensive. The vehicle seems a little harder to start as it sems to take a little longer to wind over and fire. Have any of you had this problem before....................Your help would be appreciated.
  • bikeroldfartbikeroldfart Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Everyone. My 2001 Rodeo has a burntout brake light on the left side and I can't figure out how to get at the bulb. Of course, the owner's manual doesn't bother to tell you how to do it. Do any of you have any experience with this?
  • chollingsheadchollingshead Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what sensor or sensors to replace for these codes? All I get from the computer are these codes that the left and right bank (cylinder sides) are running lean, but no remedy is stated.. can anyone help?
  • littlesheba1littlesheba1 Member Posts: 2
    removed the fuses and it is still draining the battery.
    mechs are out of ideas.
    please help
  • phalloranphalloran Member Posts: 2
    Hey there littlesheba1, you obviously have an electrical short in the positive side of your electrical wiring, possibly where the wiring harness has rubbed through the outer sheath, if you cannot find it, try taking it to an auto electrician, if that does not help you can remove either battery terminal when you are not using the vehicle or put a mains power switch into the wiring harness.
  • littlesheba1littlesheba1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!
    i will let my mech know.
    thanks!
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    I have a right turn signal problem with my 1992 Rodeo. My left turn signal works fine but when I try the right turn signal I can hear it flashing about 3 times faster than normal and the lights both front & rear on the right (passenger) side aren't flashing despite all new bulbs and new flasher. The dashboard indicator light isn't flashing either. Can anybody shed some light on this problem? I live in florida and really can't afford a ticket and I know it's only a matter of time before I get pulled over. Can anyone shed some light on what this problem could be?

Thx in advance .
  • vsmith2vsmith2 Member Posts: 1
    Help! I have an 2000 Isuzu Rodeo. For the last month the check egine light has been on and while going down the road it will just start chugging really bad and almost stall out. It's really bad in the morning but better in the afternoons. I took it to my local mechanic who does the regular maintennace on it. He checked everything and could find out what the problem was. He tried to scan it the computer but nothing would register he told me I was probally the computer and I would have to take it to the dealership. The closest one is 60 miles away and i am not sure it would make it. Another mechanic checked it who is a friend of the families and he thought it might be the coils and the relay to the computer he swapped out alot of parts that he had and put in a new fuel pump $200.00 later I still have the same problem. When its not chugging it runs really good. I wish it wsa something simple. Thanks
  • kiramakirama Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2000 Rodeo with 71,000 miles on it. I got a check engine light about 6 mths ago, the only thing that seemed wrong was hard starting. I had the EGR and PCV replaced, fuel injectors cleaned, check engine light went out, but car was still hard to start. Now it runs real rough and dies when idling. I have no idea what to try next or who to go to, the local Isuzu dealer quit selling Isuzus several years ago. I sure would like to hear from someone who has had this problem and solved it.
  • paul123paul123 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Rob,

I just saw your post, and although it is over a year old, wanted to find out if you found a solution to the problem with the brake lights not working with the headlights on, and the cruise control. My 2004 Rodeo just hit 60,000 and all of these exact same things that you listed have happened to mine. Someone just told me earlier today that the computer needed to be replaced.

Thanks.

Paul
  • kiramakirama Member Posts: 15
    It might just be a crazy coincidence, but I bought a new battery and no more check engine light and the car starts like it did when new, no dying when idling either..I am completely baffled but I won't complain unless the problem starts up again
  • paul123paul123 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let anyone know, who might have this odd cruise control/brake light problem. I took my rodeo in to the shop and they found a bad brake bulb. Somehow it was causing a problem with the entire system, and once it was replaced, the lights, cruise control and everything were working fine. Much cheaper than the potential computer problem.

Paul
  • foghatchfoghatch Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD and the check transmission light and the Cruise set light keeps coming on. It happens as I start up and/or if I hit a bump. If I accelerate slowly sometimes it doesn't happen. Also the RPM's seem to drop to 0 momentarily. If I let off the accelerator and coast everything returns to normal. Lights go out and tach goes back to reading normally. The engine occasionally stalls.
  • anthonytopsanthonytops Member Posts: 9
    Have the CKP( Crankshaft Position) Sensor Check, that a just in case. Before mine went out it did all kinds of strange things!
  • poohbearwoodspoohbearwoods Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS and when I push the 4WD button to engage the four wheel drive the light blinks. When it is engaged it turns solid and lite up on the dash below the speedometer. Mine is only blinking and never goes solid. I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem. I really would like it fixed so I don't have to chain this winter.
  • chardacharda Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Rodeo v6 and would like to know if anyone can help me with the location of the fuel filter?
  • alcjewalcjew Member Posts: 173
    The fuel filter is located on the driver's side undercarriage approximately between the front & rear doors. It is fairly easy to replace with standard tools.
  • TheBeakTheBeak Member Posts: 1
    Hey I have a 2000 Rodeo and it was recently involved in a not to pleasant introduction to a telephone pole. Anyway now i need a new hood and front bumber. Luckily i was going about 10-15mph when i hit the pole so it drives fine. I found a guy parting out his 1999 Rodeo and he said i could have the hood and bumper for $130, which would save me a ton of money. But I need to now if the parts are interchangeable. Thanks.
  • isuzu4lifeisuzu4life Member Posts: 5
    I need to get my 2000 Rodeo Serviced and want to know if anyone knows a good service/repair shop to bring it to? I live in Suffolk County, Long Island NY. My timing belt needs to be replaced.
  • isuzu4lifeisuzu4life Member Posts: 5
    Had the same problem on my 2000 Rodeo, needed to replace the B4 wheel drive actuator axle the part number is 8-97208-683-6. Since it has been replaced I have not had a problem with it. Good luck hope this helps!