Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Steering

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Go to another Chevy dealer in your area.
  • silverchevysilverchevy Member Posts: 3
    I just changed my intermediate steering shaft on my 2003 2WD, 2500HD last week... It took about 1/2 hour and now it feels like a new truck again. bp
  • pbarlowpbarlow Member Posts: 2
    the lube kit is only a temporary fix. the problem is with the u joints in intermediate steering shaft. gm has actually fixed the problem with the shaft but never recalled it. you can purchase the shaft from a dealer for around 75 bucks, and can be easily replaced. i replaced mine on my 04 sierra in about 30 minutes. i did this about 15,000 miles ago and it is still perfect.
  • python2python2 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have instructions on how to do this?
    You need to secure the steering wheel from moving via a pin hole on the bottom side of the steering wheel. Remove and replace the shaft, remove the pin from the steering column and you're done. As fast as 30 minutes
  • mayls7mayls7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 GMC Dually and I had the dealer replace the shaft once, and now it is bad again. Clunking and vibrating, do you know the part number of the replacement shaft, I think I am just going to do myself this time.
  • vinceblasvinceblas Member Posts: 5
    This link is gold! Thanks cwyka! :shades:
  • pbarlowpbarlow Member Posts: 2
    there are different parts#'s according to your vin#. but i do know that lmctruck.com offers an aftermarket more heavyduty shaft. it's more expensive but, if you really use the truck it may be worth it in the long run. i have used lmc on several of my trucks and they are a very dependable company. if you run into any problems replacing the shaft feel free to contact me.
  • mayls7mayls7 Member Posts: 2
    What kind of time is involved in the installation do you think. Can I get your email in case I need more info?

Mine is mayls7@aol.com
    Book time is 30 minutes to R/R the shaft. That includes the time it takes to secure the steering wheel and open the hood. ;)
  • wgreenwgreen Member Posts: 17
    Had the clunking problem on my 06 Silverado WT. Dealer replaced intermediate shaft as mentioned on here and that solved that problem. However it caused another one.
    Soon as I left the dealer after the repair I noticed what sounded like a vacuum or hissing noise,kinda like the noise older carbureted cars made when you took the air cleaner off. Prior to the repair could hardly hear any noise from engine compartment,was always impressed since I bought it how quiet the V8 was compared to my 4cyl S-10.
    Took it back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong.I asked the service manager if the dimension on the new shaft was different,causing the boot seal to let more exterior noise in.He said that wouldn't cause a problem,he rode with me in the truck and said it was "normal" engine noise.Told him I still felt something wasn't right with the increased noise level,he said he would check TSB's and let me know if he found anything.
    About a week later it rained for the first time since the repair and I could really notice a difference with the wet road noise,almost sounded like the windows were down!!
    Anyone else having a problem with this?Definitely seems like the new part doesn't fit the boot seal as well letting more engine compartment and road noise in.BTW,I have the vinyl interior,no carpet on floor.
    Any suggestions how to deal with this.Thought about putting some foam around the shaft and the boot seal but don't know if this would cause problems since the part moves

Thanx
    wgreen
  • hdfxdwghdfxdwg Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2003 1500hd crewcab 4x4 had the lube kit done a few years ago 130.00 at dealer but the problem came back and i just lived with it i know that they have come out with a couple of new shafts this new shaft came out in 08 part # gm 19153614 retails for 94.00 wholesales for 69.00 i bought one friday 11-07-08 put it on myself truck drives and steers like new it is quite don't feel or hear the clunk anymore took about 20minutes to install also Dorman products has one for 74.95 can buy it at most parts store autozone # 425-126 or 426-125 i can't find my note for autozone i just surcure the steering wheel with a bungie cord so it wouldn't move undone the bolt under the dash on steering wheel and then under the hood 1 bolt pull it thru from under dash push new thru from underdash being careful not to bump the steering wheel bolted back up and i was done hope this helps someone.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Unfortunately I was late replying for foxdog and others. I had the shaft replaced on my 03 for free from the factory and my dealer. I wrote an e-mail on the GMC website and I printed it and snail-mailed it to the office in Michigan. I guess the squeaky wheel does get "lubed". The rest of you should try it too. Don't give up.

And definitely don't pay for parts.
  • BloozesterBloozester Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2002 Sierra 1500 4WD and I suppose the steering clunk is what I'm experiencing. Whenever I turn the wheel left or right at under 30 mph or so, it feels like there are little "clunks" I can feel through the steering wheel, but I don't hear anything with the window down. Especially happens over a bumpy surface. No front end shimmy or looseness that I can tell. Brakes feel smooth. Shame really as the truck only has 66K on it and is in really nice shape with no rust underneath and the interior is like new.

Anyway, if this is the case, how much does it cost on avg. to have a dealer replace the intermediate shaft? I'm not terribly handy when it comes to tearing into the mechanicals.

Thanks everyone.
    See #115
    Tried that at both dealers. Both said since I was the second owner they would not do it for free or for any kind of discount. I was quoted $110 for the part and $90 labor at both dealers.
  • knah2003knah2003 Member Posts: 11
    Hey there....enclosed in this particular "forum" is the number to the TSB thats out to replace the intermediate shaft at no cost to you!
    You can even search on this site for the TSB I believe... :surprise: :confuse:
    Took that with me too. Showed them both. They both said if I wasn't the original owner there was nothing they could do about it.
    Try calling AND writing to GMC corporate....basically harass them. I did. I don't recall them asking me if I was the original owner. Give them your local dealer's info too......meaning the preferred dealer you would like it to be fixed at. I'm pretty sure they give the "go-ahead" to them first before they tell you. Be persistent.
    GM part no. 19153614
    Document ID# 1893252
    Good Luck!! ;)
  • stephens24stephens24 Member Posts: 5
    What is the email to Gm that is CUSTOMER SERVICE? My dealer is acting like i'm the only one that has the issue. How can you have someone from GM talk to ya?I am the original owner of the truck. Any help would be appreciated....
    :mad:
  • stephens24stephens24 Member Posts: 5
    i called gm, got a claim #, they said i have to pay, i'm fight it. :mad:
  • bstacybstacy Member Posts: 1
    I have no power steering at idle on 2004 Silverado, 2WD 5.3 Liter 4 door extended cab truck. You have to hold the brake with your left foot and press the accelerator with your right foot or put the tranny in neutral and rev the engine to get the steering wheel to turn when stopped.
    Last Friday 4-10-09 not being able to steer caused me to side swipe a sign post at about 5 MPH.
    The dealer Service manager said that replacing the pump and gear box "might fix the problem" for about $1000 I want more than a might. Has anyone experienced positive results from these repairs? Chevy and GM should be ashamed . It is no wonder they are bankrupt. I have been a faithful GM fan for 35 years.
  • knah2003knah2003 Member Posts: 11
    Posted a complaint on...well intering GM website there's nothing but on the side you can be directed to complaint area. It asks if you want a lawyer to call yu back....Good thing there wasn't a pedestian walking, sitting, using a cell phone....We have do more to get them to pay attention or maybe injure someone or ourselves! :lemon: :mad: :(:cry: :confuse:
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    My '01 had the clunking coming through the steering wheel the first month I owned it back in '01. I now have 26k miles on it and it's more noticable. It has never needed a bumpy road to happen. From what I'm reading on here, I can go to a Chevy dealer and get it fixed free? Is there any harm to not replacing the steering shaft, besides the feel and noise? Aside from the slight noise when turning tight, the truck is OK. I have owned it 7.7 years and have put in a battery, rotated the tires once, and done maybe 6 oil changes. I drive it more now that gas calmed down and I moved 32 miles closer to work. The truck has been to Fl. and back (2500 miles) 5 or 6 times, and that is about half the total miles on it. I'll probably keep it a long time so I want to know if the steering needs attention. I don't want a dealer to mess something else up fixing a noise that has no other ill effect other than a noise when I back out of the driveway.
    For lack of a better term, that's weird....and unsafe. Thats adefinitely a safety concern and I would contact GM about it..and the BBB and my congressman. You should definitely NOT have to pay for that kind of repair. Be vocal...be loud. Good Luck
    I had the whole steering shaft replaced. GM has a new part to replace the old ones 19153614. Its definitely a problem they know about cuz there's a TSB on it. But no official recall. I don't know if it's a safety concern but a modern truck shouldn't rattle like a Model T.
    I emailed through the website and sent a snail mail to corporate. I actually got called back. They will ask you to take it to a dealer to check it out and, of course, a dealer will charge a "diagnostic fee" to do so. But I said no way should I have to pay up front for something that should have been fixed under standard warranty. I got the "lube kit" the first time under warranty. But you guys should demand the new part.
    Dumb question: You do have plenty of fluid in the reservoir, right?

Did the dealer experience your low speed non turning issue?
  • sjgbzsjgbz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Sierra and have experienced steering issues since buying this truck. First it was the moaning sound it made upon turning the wheel(like a seal at an aquarium). Then came the clunking noise. Now I'm experiencing a safety issue. My steering wheel has difficulty turning left from a starting position although turning right is fine. I would really appreciate any direction on this matter from someone.
    There were faulty power steering units being replaced under warranty awhile back. Have you checked the fluid level of the p/s unit? or under the truck to see if the rack is leaking? Assuming you have a 2wd since it's not mentioned.
    I have 4WD,hopefully that's not tied into the problem
    The moaning sound could be low fluid. The clunk indicates that you need to upgrade the intermediate steering shaft to the new one. As for the difficulty turning left, check the steering box. Something may have stripped. Good luck!!
  • longtrip036longtrip036 Member Posts: 1
    At slow or no speed I lose PS to the right only. R and L turns are fine at speed and L is still fine at slow or no speed. I think this means I need to replace the steering box. Can someone with experience confirm this or give me possible other cause? I am a limited DIY.
  • zimmy1zimmy1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 2002 Silverado and I found a very simple fix that stopped the rattle. Get a can of PB blaster which is used to remove rusted nuts & bolts insert the long red tube it comes with in the spray nozzle then go under the dash and you will see were the steering shaft goes through the fire wall and you will see what appears to be a collar were the shaft goes in spray the PB blaster gently into the collar at the top of the shaft you will be able to see the PB blaster flow into the collar put enough in that you are sure it coated the internal shaft thats all it takes. I did mine a mounth ago and its still working and if it does come back do it again its alot cheaper than paying a dealer $300.00 to replace the shaft and I did talk to a number of dealers and they say it is not a safety issue it is only the shaft rattling in the tube hope this helps you it worked for me.
    It will come back...you did the "lube fix" as mentioned in previous posts. Yeah, it works...for a while...but try to have the shaft replaced under warranty or a recall as mentioned before. ;)
    Yep. I changed the shaft on a '02 Denali and no clunks for two years. If you decide to change it yourself make sure you tie that steering wheel down good or insert the tool into the column to lock it.
  • theplayer906theplayer906 Member Posts: 4
    I have replaced the P.S. pump, Hydroboost, the Variable steering canceling kit. when i press the brakes it firms up the steering to almost impossible to move. makes a whining noise when hitting the stopps. fluid level is fine, any information will help.
  • barry46barry46 Member Posts: 1
    My truck would not turn at idle. I had to hold the brake and rev the engine to turn the steering wheel at low speeds. GM was no help and they are pretty stupid. It is an easy fix. I replaced the the pulley on the power steering pump with one about 1" smaller in diameter making the pump think the engine was revving higher about 2 years ago. No problems since.One issue has concerned me. I could only find a pulley with a slightly different offset so I had to grind a few places on the pump to get enough clearance so the new pulley would turn. This means the serpentine runs about 3/8" out of alignment. It may not last as long but at least now I can drive the stupid truck. If the idiots at GM would offer a pulley that fit with a smaller diameter it would resolve a lot of issues . Dealer service managers basically said I had to live with no power steering at idle RPM and GM said that it was acceptable.It is no wonder GM is bankrupt. With their complete lack of support they have lost a long time customer. My next truck will be a Nissan or Toyota. At least they actually made in this country.
  • cap9cap9 Member Posts: 3
    I was gonna get this bad boy - does anyone have any experience with this model?

link title
    At 166K miles, if not properly maintained, is a can of worms.
  • dula1dula1 Member Posts: 1
    I have lost all power on the passenger side of my Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. Locks, windows, heated seats, everything. I have checked the fuses and relays, all ok. I'm sure this is not an unusual problem. Any ideas, please?
  • bassprobasspro Member Posts: 34
    Hi All, I read back to thread #124 where the issue was on the 04.
    FYI, for all of you from this thread back to #124. I have a 09 AWD and it has the Rack and Pinion that was put on the trucks I think in 08 or 07. It was replace just two weeks ago, with 1700 miles on the truck!
    I had a drip I had seen under the truck at the front differential yoke, I thought and asked then to take a look during a warranty item that was fixed and they replaced the rack and pinion at the same visit.
    I was told it was an a seal assembly issue for the hydraulic seal as I understand it. I will be watching it closely.
    I was also told that the rack and pinion was a fix for the issues I am reading here. It would also make me think these other trucks could be retro fitted but I may be wrong about it. Also if there are many problems with many trucks it will take many NTSB complaints and a law suit probably to correct the problem. It would be better that than someone or several deaths like Toyota because it was just ignored.
  • bassprobasspro Member Posts: 34
    Probably loose connector for that side of truck or just one bad wire (probably grnd.) in that part of the main wiring harness is my best guess,especially if it all happened at once.
  • solarfriedsolarfried Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I too have the rattle knock that occurs at low speeds when turning left or right and occasionally when running straight over washboard or bumpy roads. My dealer tore up the steering, replaced upper and lower shafts, boots etc. including steering gearcase but could not get the noise to stop. He worked on the truck (I saw them doing it) for 6 days and could not get it to stop. Alas! I am really perturbed by the continuous knocking. I cannot believe that so many Silverados suffer from this problem and GM does nothing.

I am about to write a letter to my dealer and GM about this. If we all wrote to GM it might help solve the problem. But complaining amongs us does nothing for us.
    edited April 2010
    GM came out with a new steering shaft a couple of years ago. Since my truck wasn't covered with the TSB, bought the shaft for $50, installed it and no more clunk for years now.

Maybe your dealer hadn't seen the TSB? 6 hours is way too long, more like 20 minutes.
  • bigal74bigal74 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same problem with my steering at low speeds. Have you heard anything else that may be causing this? Thank you for any input that you may offer.
    Had gearbox replaced by certified GM friend
    He also flushed fluid lines out while he had access
    And he fixed the clunking steering issue by installing the upgrade for the steering column. It's like a plastic insert that must take out the slack. Previously I had the steering column super-greased that only worked temporarily.

My truck can now steer with total ease either way at any speed.
  • mountaineer4mountaineer4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Obyone: I have a "03 tahoe that ,I think, has the same "clicking" noise. I had it repaired at 12,000 miles but now, at 32,000 miles, it is back again. I do suspect, in reading some replys in Edmunds, that the dealer made the fix by using an aerosal spray method, not doing a "real" fix.
    So can you elaborate on the method you used to accomplish a fix and what was the description and supplier of the repair part.
    Thanks
    Hi Obyone: I have a "03 tahoe that ,I think, has the same "clicking" noise. I had it repaired at 12,000 miles but now, at 32,000 miles, it is back again. I do suspect, in reading some replys in Edmunds, that the dealer made the fix by using an aerosal spray method, not doing a "real" fix.
    So can you elaborate on the method you used to accomplish a fix and what was the description and supplier of the repair part.
    Thanks
    Thanks
    Thanks