Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Steering

124»

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    edited May 2010
    The replacement shaft part no. is 19153614 for something like $50 plus shipping. Other alternatives are a HD shaft like the ones here:

Borgenson

and here:
    Summit Racing

I had opted for the $50 replacement figuring I could always opt for the $200 later if needed. So far after 3 years no clunking. If you are to attempt the change yourself you would need a special tool to lock the steering wheel in place so that it is in the correct position after the shaft change. If not an old time mechanic would probably use the seatbelt to secure the steering wheel. Changing the shaft took approximately 15 minutes.

I had ordered the replacement shaft at gmpartsdirect.com and after checking there noticed that it is still $50.
    gmpartsdirect
  • mtm8mtm8 Member Posts: 1
    After pulling out a stuck truck with my tow strap, I have noticed the shift arm has been loose, and seems to come out of park with no resistance at all. and putting it back in I can hear a click at times. What have I done, can this be fixed or corrected?
  • treeson1735treeson1735 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Is the steering box the answere?
  • knah2003knah2003 Member Posts: 11
    Don't know at the moment. It wasn'r the intermediate shaft...took all info to dealer and he's checking ......
  • harryd2harryd2 Member Posts: 1
    2000 silverado 4x4 with 5.3L V8. The power steering unit is leaking fluid. I haven't found the exact location yet. Just wondering if there is a standard fix for this type of problem.
    Thanks.
  • pmh1pmh1 Member Posts: 1
    I to have a similar problem on a '99 silverado no power steering at all to the right when at idle making turns while driving usually is ok its only at very low or no speed has a dry sound in steering column as well when it happens. I talked to top mechanic at a GM dealership he said it is not the pump or the gear box but rather something electrical or a ball joint binding up. I am not so sure. Any ideas out there?
  • opc167opc167 Member Posts: 14
    I have a poping, or snaping noise from the front end on my 03 1500hd when making a slow sharp turn. I can't tell if it's from the left or right side, but I here is most of the time while turning sharp right in the parking deck. It's not a 4x4 and I can't expect it to be the steering stop. Any ideas?
  • opc167opc167 Member Posts: 14
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Intermediate steering shaft
  • bruce48532bruce48532 Member Posts: 64
    Front wheels shimmy badly (Death Wobble) when I hit a bump at speeds of 30-40 mph

Truck 1999 GMC 2500 - 125,000 MILES
    Front end alignment -Recent
    Tire Rotation & balance recent.
    Frt bearing Replacement 2 yrs ago
    Both Tie rod ends replaced 1 yr ago

Adjusted Steering Gear Box Gland hex Nut 5/8" with 3/16" allen hex screw.
    Took care of the problem!!!
    The death wobble is gone but... now have float left or right, vehicle will not track a straight line. More adjustment necessary on the steering gear box?
    EVO SENSOR BAD
    Based on what I have read this has been a problem for since the mid 90's, some post say its not a big deal less than 1 hour labor & $50-60 for the part. Mine 1999 GMC 250, must have the steering column linkage disassembled and the part cost is $80-$90. This was/is not just a problem on truck it is also on a dozens of other vehicles. see link below.

EVO - ELECTRONIC VHECILE ORFICE - SENSOR
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81519

Service Information 7-15-2008
    1998 GMC Truck GMC C Pickup - 2WD | Chevy Pickup, GMC Pickup, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1911096 #07-02-32-001: Reduced Steering Effort (Diagnose/Replace Steering Wheel Position Sensor) - (Feb 27, 2007)

I encourage everybody to contact NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 or www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/voq_form.html
  • dfields007dfields007 Member Posts: 2
    I went to start my truck but the ignition switch was locked and the steering wheel could not be turned to help release the ignition switch. Have tried rocking and pushing on truck to get it out of a bind but with no success. Even tried to shift gear shift but it is locked as well. Truck can't be towed because front wheels are turned and can't get transmission into neutral. Any idea what has happened? It's parked on level ground and front wheels are only turned 1/4 turn.
    Try moving the steering wheel either left a or right just a bit... to take the pressure off the lock cylinder to rotate that key. it should work has done it to me before.
  • paul1976paul1976 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Gmc serria work turck 4.8 two wheel drive has 80,000 vibrates in streeing wheel starts at 25 go till a bout 35 everthing seams fine in susption and breaks new rotors and breaks and tires
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    paul1976,

Were you planning on having your vehicle looked at by the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • squallssqualls Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 02 silverado did you find out anything
  • knah2003knah2003 Member Posts: 11
    yes I did get the problem solved...looking to find paperwork.....
  • ottawaroofingottawaroofing Member Posts: 1
    wheel balance
  • kathlikoskathlikos Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a 94 dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 today and as soon as i got home with it and let it idle it ran hot. I was very disappointed to say the least. It's got 175k on it and the original radiator. The heater works and it won't run hot on the road. I'm just wondering if it's the Tstat or pump. I flushed it the best I know how by hooking a Water hose up on the drain plug on bottom of radiator and blew pressure to top until it ran clear. Took a little longer to run hot but sped up when I turned AC on. Does anyone have e a good direction to point me in to fix this. I'm dead broke after spending 2k on truck!! Very upset. Please help. Thank you.
  • bigman55434bigman55434 Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2013
    Kathlikos, I think you are in the wrong forum. Anyway, check your radiator fan to make sure it is fully engaging. The clutch on it may be worn out after all this time, resulting in no airflow through the radiator at slow speeds. If you say it is not overheating when driving, then it probably is not your pump. Although if you flushed the coolant, make sure and add some antifreeze back in. You don't want it all water. 50/50 mix is ideal. I'd say it's not your thermostat either, since it does not overheat when driving.
  • eastside5300eastside5300 Member Posts: 2
  • eastside5300eastside5300 Member Posts: 2
    I have very stiff power steering at idle. If i take my foot off the brake it gets a little better but not much. Gets worse as it heats up. TSB was useless, this is not normal, should not have to use both hands to turn the steering wheel. I've seen a pile of posts online everywhere (but all older) and none say they had found a fix. I flushed the system, no help. I replaced the power steering pump, no change. It does have hydraboost. Is there anyone that has found a fix to this in the last couple years? Any help would be great, Thanks!
  • likearock2014likearock2014 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 2002 Silverado. I was driving along fine.. took off rather fast and then my steering locked up. I can strong man it left or right either way. However, once I go all the way left or right. The wheel spins back freely until the wheels are straight. Then it gets hard to go all the way in the opposite direction. I have also had this happen just a bit ago and replaced the intermediate steering shaft. When the intermediate steering shaft ceased, I couldn't even turn the wheel. This time I can, its just very very hard. Now Im not really sure if it is the power steering pump, the ..pray to god its not the box.. or just a line somewhere. There was never any whining before any of this happened. It just ceased up instantly. Like something just "went". I have to no clue how to test a pump.. or the box.. it any hoses. The pump isn't leaking or anything that I could notice. There is no fluid underneath my vehicle at all. I am at his point unsure what ot do. Any help would be great.